PDA

View Full Version : Oxley - Moving to Sheffield

Pages : 1 [2]

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Oxley's performance was almost Zibbyesqe.... Responsible for at least 3 of the goals in my opinion. I cannot recall him making a save or collecting a cross........ P!ss poor

Collected a few crosses. Sometimes the mind tells the brain what it wants to hear.

Apart from the 3rd (which "The Rangers" were allowed to waltz across the whole pitch freely), which goals was he responsible for?

Did he give away the free kick? Did he lose his man defending a cross? Did he misplace a pass in the middle of the park? Did he change the formation? Did he not chase after a lost cause? Did he run out of idea's on the edge of their box?

Maybe not the best performance from the big man but to compare him to Zibby suggests you are at the wind up.

Bronson
25-07-2015, 05:43 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's a shocking goalkeeper. Schoolboy stuff today.

Jim44
25-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Every time I read the title of this thread my hopes are raised until I remember that it's an old thread. Good guy by all accounts but a liability as our no 1 keeper this season. It's alarming to think that our first choice keeper has been found seriously lacking in the first game of the season.

The_Horde
25-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Collected a few crosses. Sometimes the mind tells the brain what it wants to hear.

Apart from the 4th (which "The Rangers" were allowed to waltz across the whole pitch freely), which goals was he responsible for?

Did he give away the free kick? Did he lose his man defending a cross? Did he misplace a pass in the middle of the park? Did he change the formation? Did he not chase after a lost cause? Did he run out of idea's on the edge of their box?

Maybe not the best performance from the big man but to compare him to Zibby suggests you are at the wind up.

He was suspect for the 2 crucial goals.

The one you've pointed out and the 3rd where his positioning let him down (and not for the first time)

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2015, 05:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's a shocking goalkeeper. Schoolboy stuff today.

We're all entitled to our opinions but that's a bit strong for me if you compare against some of the keepers we've had in the last 20 years.

IMO

A keeper is only as good as the players in front of him. I reference The Sectarian Bigots keeper today as my evidence :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
25-07-2015, 05:58 PM
We're all entitled to our opinions but that's a bit strong for me if you compare against some of the keepers we've had in the last 20 years.

IMO

A keeper is only as good as the players in front of him. I reference The Sectarian Bigots keeper today as my evidence :agree:

Oxley certainly wasn't unique in having a terrible game today, but I don't think he's good enough. He makes me nervous.

Bronson
25-07-2015, 05:59 PM

IMO

He's a step up from Zibi, but other than that he's possibly the worst I've seen for hibs.

I don't remember walking away from a game thinking 'Oxley saved up/spared our blushes today'. Whereas I felt that quite often with Williams, sometimes Stack and even occasionally with Makalambay and McNeill.

He embarrassed us today, and it's not the first time.

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 05:59 PM

IMO

You're spot on he had a bad game but the whole defence was all over the place, he wasn't any worse than the 4 in front of him. The keeper always gets it as he's the last line of defence, but it's unfair to single out Oxley and let the other 4 defenders off. The 2 centre halves had an absolute mare IMO.

lord bunberry
25-07-2015, 06:01 PM
He's a step up from Zibi, but other than that he's possibly the worst I've seen for hibs.

I don't remember walking away from a game thinking 'Oxley saved up/spared our blushes today'. Whereas I felt that quite often with Williams, sometimes Stack and even occasionally with Makalambay and McNeill.

He embarrassed us today, and it's not the first time.
Are you saying he's worse than Simon Brown or that clown( who's name escapes me) that played in he 6-6 game? He's a young keeper with potential.

Greenblood70
25-07-2015, 06:19 PM
One of the worst keepers I've seen at ER, any shot on target seems to result in a goal.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2015, 06:27 PM
One of the worst keepers I've seen at ER, any shot on target seems to result in a goal.Not even in the top 10 worst keepers I've seen at ER and I'm 19. Lot of utter rubbish. Our defense was MIA all game but Oxley is getting dogs abuse on here, absolutely pathetic.

bigwheel
25-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Not even in the top 10 worst keepers I've seen at ER and I'm 19. Lot of utter rubbish. Our defense was MIA all game but Oxley is getting dogs abuse on here, absolutely pathetic.

I would hazard an educated guess that he has the worst shot to save ratio of any goalkeeper in the last 10 years...

Greenblood70
Not even in the top 10 worst keepers I've seen at ER and I'm 19. Lot of utter rubbish. Our defense was MIA all game but Oxley is getting dogs abuse on here, absolutely pathetic.

Your having a laugh I can count the saves he's made on one hand, just is not good enough. Name the 10 keepers worse than him then or give us peace. Today was a horrific goalkeeping performance, your kidding yourself on if you think Oxley is a solid keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waxy
I know he had a poor game today but he doesn't always play poor.Maybe be best get behind him now as he's all we have really.

hibs0666
25-07-2015, 06:37 PM
http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/hearts/314157-how-hearts-brushed-aside-the-competiton-to-win-the-scottish-championship/

I'm a bit pished. What is your point apart from the gunts are good?

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Your having a laugh I can count the saves he's made on one hand, just is not good enough. Name the 10 keepers worse than him then or give us peace. Today was a horrific goalkeeping performance, your kidding yourself on if you think Oxley is a solid keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maka
McNeil
Smith
Stack
Brown
Brown
Zibi
Murdoch
Ollie
Brennen

There you go, now list all of his saves.

tamig
25-07-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm a bit pished. What is your point apart from the gunts are good?

I'm waiting for more info on that one too. Nothing in there inicating Oxley's pish.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2015, 06:54 PM
I would hazard an educated guess that he has the worst shot to save ratio of any goalkeeper in the last 10 years...Such a relevant stat that is. Of course it is bad if we dominate teams and they bundle one in like last season, I remember very few of those goals being Oxleys fault.

bigwheel
25-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Maka
McNeil
Smith
Stack
Brown
Brown
Zibi
Murdoch
Ollie
Brennen

Other than Smith, Simon Brown and Zibbi, I'd take all of those before Oxley....although I have to confess I've no idea who Brennen is....

Pretty Boy
25-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Other than Smith, Simon Brown and Zibbi, I'd take all of those before Oxley....although I have to confess I've no idea who Brennen is....

He's our current development team goalkeeper who has not long turned 18.

How he merits being included on the list when I doubt a handful of people have seen him play is beyond me. It's always hard to tell at that age but he's a promising young keeper imo.

tamig
25-07-2015, 06:58 PM

He was the development goalie last season. A young lad who's never played a competitive game. There are others on the list I'd rate below Ox but Sean Brennan in there is a bit harsh on the young lad and straw clutching at best.

3pm
25-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Oxley deserves stick but he's been let down by his mates as well.

tamig
25-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Oxley deserves stick but he's been let down by his mates as well.

Indeed. Poor defensive show all round today.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2015, 07:02 PM
He was the development goalie last season. A young lad who's never played a competitive game. There are others on the list I'd rate below Ox but Sean Brennan in there is a bit harsh on the young lad and straw clutching at best.Of course it is harsh, so is the pish being posted on here about Oxley but that isn't stopping anyone.

tamig
25-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Of course it is harsh, so is the pish being posted on here about Oxley but that isn't stopping anyone.

Don't drag yourself to their levels then bud. I do agree though that Ox is far from being our worst keeper of recent times.

hibeerealist
25-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Of course it is harsh, so is the pish being posted on here about Oxley but that isn't stopping anyone.

What pish about Oxley? He has got away without being outed as the misfit he is today, a joker masquerading as a professional goalkeeper cannot believe Stubbs brought him back after what we saw of last season!!

Third goal today was the absolute killer and gave The Rangers belief they would actually in this game, and quite easily if truth be said.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2015, 07:28 PM
What pish about Oxley? He has got away without being outed as the misfit he is today, a joker masquerading as a professional goalkeeper cannot believe Stubbs brought him back after what we saw of last season!!

Third goal today was the absolute killer and gave The Rangers belief they would actually in this game, and quite easily if truth be said.Nothing about the defense being MIA for that 3rd goal, just Oxleys fault.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Nothing about the defense being MIA for that 3rd goal, just Oxleys fault.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the defence shouldn't be getting so easily beaten by a hoof up the park. There's plenty mention of it on other threads. Oxley should be saving that shot though. That's what he's there for.

I say that as a usual defender of Oxley, check my previous posts if you really care, and a fully paid up member of the goalkeepers mafia.

Feed McGraw
25-07-2015, 07:33 PM

He embarrassed us today, and it's not the first time. Seriously ? !! Makalamby !! ? Now THAT was embarrassing. Oxley is light years
away from that kind of embarrassment IMHO.

Bronson
25-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Seriously ? !! Makalamby !! ? Now THAT was embarrassing. Oxley is light years
away from that kind of embarrassment IMHO.

Makalambay had his fair share of howlers, no denying that. But he also had a couple cracking games, one at Tynecastle springs to mind and another against Celtic at ER.

Never have I walked away from a hibs game thanking Oxley for his performance. This isn't a witch hunt, he's just not very good.

Hibeewilly
25-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Oxley is not and will never be a keeper. Im really surprised at Stubbsy on this one. I can't believe we let Thomas Cerny go - totally baffling!!!!

Feed McGraw
25-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Makalambay had his fair share of howlers, no denying that. But he also had a couple cracking games, one at Tynecastle springs to mind and another against Celtic at ER.

Never have I walked away from a hibs game thanking Oxley for his performance. This isn't a witch hunt, he's just not very good. I think Oxley`s decent,not great, but consistently decent. Makalamby, one or two performances aside was an absolute ******* nightmare, again IMHO.

Bronson
25-07-2015, 08:03 PM
I think Oxley`s decent,not great, but consistently decent. Makalamby, one or two performances aside was an absolute ******* nightmare, again IMHO.

I don't disagree with your Makalambay comments, my point is that Oxley is the same, except he doesn't have those '1 or 2 performances'.

Feed McGraw
25-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't disagree with your Makalambay comments, my point is that Oxley is the same, except he doesn't have those '1 or 2 performances'. Fair enough mate. Lets hope its all about Hibs scoring lots of goals and we dont have to worry too much about defending ( wishful thinking ) :greengrin

Bronson
25-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Fair enough mate. Lets hope its all about Hibs scoring lots of goals and we dont have to worry too much about defending ( wishful thinking ) :greengrin

Hahaha lets hope! Not too fussed about today, disappointing result but the fact we played half a team with none of our new signings and nearly all of our strikers injured, is not lost on me.

As they say, we go again.

Hibby 2005
25-07-2015, 10:39 PM
3rd goal was amateurish but Oxley's main failings are in the air. I hope the other keeper gets a chance.

truehibernian
25-07-2015, 11:05 PM
3rd goal was amateurish but Oxley's main failings are in the air. I hope the other keeper gets a chance.

Yet when we won 2-0 at Ibrox, he pulled of two fantastic saves at crucial times to keep us 1) at 0-0 from Miller and 2) in the lead from Vukic IIRC........against Hearts at Tynie he pulled off a cracking save from a free kick first game, then from Walker and Sow in the 2-0 win............

Oxley had a poor game today but I'm not for hanging him out to dry - keepers never get the praise for the saves, they get pelters for the errors however.

Stubbs and Combe need to tell him to pack it in kicking to the full backs who are upfield - that's a disaster waiting to happen when you lose the ball and a terrible area to concede possession playing only three, playing square and narrow, at the back.

Brooster
26-07-2015, 06:45 AM
His decision making is suspect to say the least in that he always seems to make the wrong choice. I cant comment on the first goal as from where I was sitting I couldnt tell if the position of the wall or the goalie was wrong. The 3 goals which came from cross balls were prodded in from 4 yards or less whilst Oxley was rooted, why is he not cutting them out? I dont think he is brave enough to put his body on the line. The 3rd was just ridiculous goalkeeping and the goal from Halliday was in slow motion, Oxley had ample time to realise he was too far off his line, I actually wonder at times if he watches the ball. He is sub standard and Im amazed the coaching staff thought he was our best option. He must surely be dropped after that performance.

HappyHanlon
26-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Maka
McNeil
Smith
Stack
Brown
Brown
Zibi
Murdoch
Ollie
Brennen

Why the f*** are you bringing a youth keeper, who's no even kicked a ball for us, into this debate.

:confused:

HH81
26-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Fault for the 3rd. For a keeper to get beat from that angle is poor.

itslegaltender
26-07-2015, 08:58 AM
He's clearly suspect at the high shot, for a tall keeper that is ridiculous. Their third goal was truly horrible. A nothing shot, he seemed to dive like a subbuteo goalkeeper falling over.

Shrekko
26-07-2015, 11:11 AM
His decision making is suspect to say the least in that he always seems to make the wrong choice. I cant comment on the first goal as from where I was sitting I couldnt tell if the position of the wall or the goalie was wrong. The 3 goals which came from cross balls were prodded in from 4 yards or less whilst Oxley was rooted, why is he not cutting them out? I dont think he is brave enough to put his body on the line. The 3rd was just ridiculous goalkeeping and the goal from Halliday was in slow motion, Oxley had ample time to realise he was too far off his line, I actually wonder at times if he watches the ball. He is sub standard and Im amazed the coaching staff thought he was our best option. He must surely be dropped after that performance.
Spot on IMO with the bravery thing being key- can't remember him ever going through anyone aggressively or sliding at someone's feet. Never get the feeling he's 'cat like'- seems to want to do things looking good and clean but these guys won't win you games or inspire those around him. Yet another game yesterday when he didn't make a save.

Stubbsy and Mowbray share an Achilles heel IMO.

eastterrace
26-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Maka
McNeil
Smith
Stack
Brown
Brown
Zibi
Murdoch
Ollie
Brennen

you missed out tony caig now he was pish.

emerald green
26-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Maka
McNeil
Smith
Stack
Brown
Brown
Zibi
Murdoch
Ollie
Brennen

This list speaks volumes as to why Hibernian FC currently finds itself sitting in a lower league in Scottish football.

Leaving the lad Brennen out of it, these were all indicative of the quality of some of the players previously considered good enough to play for Hibs.

Maybe they were all the club could afford, or was it a case of that was all they were prepared to pay? Top class goalkeepers don't come cheap. When did Hibs last bring a goalkeeper through the youth system into the first team?

Danderhall Hibs
26-07-2015, 12:32 PM
I didn't see the game yesterday.

Apart from the mistake in the Alloa game that we won last season, what other mistakes did he make?

I think the whole defence is ropey - it's no different to last season. The lack of concentration that causes us goals week in week out should be a concern. Not just turning all our focus on the keeper.

Ryan69
26-07-2015, 12:39 PM
It always seems that the first shot on target an opposition gets.....it's a goal!

Happened in most games last season!

Reguero needs to also get a chance this season,as last season Cerny never even got a chance....which is unbelievable!

Maybe if Oxley finds himself on the bench occasionally....it will make him realize he needs to work hard every week!

Pretty Boy
26-07-2015, 12:48 PM
It always seems that the first shot on target an opposition gets.....it's a goal!

Happened in most games last season!

Reguero needs to also get a chance this season,as last season Cerny never even got a chance....which is unbelievable!

Maybe if Oxley finds himself on the bench occasionally....it will make him realize he needs to work hard every week!

If you had watched Cerny for the development side last season you wouldn't say it wa unbelievable he didn't get a game. He was very rusty.

Too many basing their opinion on Cerny on vague memories from 4 or 5 years ago.

bingo70
26-07-2015, 01:16 PM
I didn't see the game yesterday.

Apart from the mistake in the Alloa game that we won last season, what other mistakes did he make?

I think the whole defence is ropey - it's no different to last season. The lack of concentration that causes us goals week in week out should be a concern. Not just turning all our focus on the keeper.

There were other mistakes but I can't be arsed listing them all.

As an ex Edina hibs u12 goalie I consider myself a bit of an expert in this field and imo he's not a good shot stopper as he doesn't seem to anticipate shots well abd gets caught on his back foot a lot. There were goals he conceded last season and if you look at where he was standing it appeared he had no chance of getting it, if however we had a good goalie he'd have shuffled a few steps across and been ready to dive by the time the striker had connected with the shot.

For the goal that went over his head yesterday he made zero attempt to anticipate what was about to happen, his positioning was probably right but he was completely flat footed so got no height in his jump.

I think he's got good distribution and I don't have any beef with his ability from crosses but imo Its no coincidence he never makes any saves other than bog standard ones you'd expect any pro keeper to save.

Iggy Pope
26-07-2015, 02:26 PM

As an ex Edina hibs u12 goalie I consider myself a bit of an expert in this field and imo he's not a good shot stopper as he doesn't seem to anticipate shots well abd gets caught on his back foot a lot. There were goals he conceded last season and if you look at where he was standing it appeared he had no chance of getting it, if however we had a good goalie he'd have shuffled a few steps across and been ready to dive by the time the striker had connected with the shot.

For the goal that went over his head yesterday he made zero attempt to anticipate what was about to happen, his positioning was probably right but he was completely flat footed so got no height in his jump.

I think he's got good distribution and I don't have any beef with his ability from crosses but imo Its no coincidence he never makes any saves other than bog standard ones you'd expect any pro keeper to save.

Brilliant. The tin lid. You don't even sound like you're applying irony to this. My spelling was brilliant when I was 12. The Booker prize and Radio 4 have been hammering my door ever since. Arf!

BH Hibs
26-07-2015, 02:41 PM

This is my biggest problem with him as well. He never seems to be on his toes and although Halliday had ages and should have been closed down I feel he should have done better with that one and maybe also the free kick if I'm being harsh

Pretty Boy
26-07-2015, 02:45 PM
This is my biggest problem with him as well. He never seems to be on his toes and although Halliday had ages and should have been closed down I feel he should have done better with that one and maybe also the free kick if I'm being harsh

I've criticised him for the 3rd and 4th but he had no chance with the free kick. I was right behind it and it was whipped right into the top corner. Very few keepers would have got near that. Sometimes you just have to accept you've conceded a great goal.

My_Wife_Camille
26-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Brilliant. The tin lid. You don't even sound like you're applying irony to this. My spelling was brilliant when I was 12. The Booker prize and Radio 4 have been hammering my door ever since. Arf!
Funny that because the way I read it there was a very obvious touch of irony in it!

BH Hibs
26-07-2015, 02:54 PM
I've criticised him for the 3rd and 4th but he had no chance with the free kick. I was right behind it and it was whipped right into the top corner. Very few keepers would have got near that. Sometimes you just have to accept you've conceded a great goal.

Fair enough just when I seen it again I didn't think it was right in the corner and there was nothing real spring in his dive. But as I said probably being overly harsh on him for that one.

Iggy Pope
26-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Funny that because the way I read it there was a very obvious touch of irony in it!

Funny you say? I've missed it then. Pythonesque, was it? Or maybe funny like that unfunniest of tits in your avatar? :wink:

The_Horde
26-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Funny you say? I've missed it then. Pythonesque, was it? Or maybe funny like that unfunniest of tits in your avatar? :wink:

Crap banter I will tolerate, but Ed abuse I will not.

LTYF

My_Wife_Camille
26-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Aye it's funny that you never picked up the very, very obvious irony.

And there was no need for that wicked, odious and downright heinous attack on Ed.

Iggy Pope
26-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Aye it's funny that you never picked up the very, very obvious irony.

And there was no need for that wicked, odious and downright heinous attack on Ed.

:greengrin

Stuarty27
26-07-2015, 05:50 PM
The 3rd goal must go down as an Oxley Assist.

silverhibee
26-07-2015, 06:13 PM

:agree:

As soon as it left the players boot it was hitting the top corner and going in, a top free kick, plain and simple, Oxley never to blame for that one.

ancient hibee
26-07-2015, 06:59 PM
My idea of a good goalie is one who saves most of the shots he should save and sometimes saves some of those he shouldn't.I thought last season that Oxley failed on both counts.We'll lose a few more from direct frees if we continue to have the smallest wall in Scotland.

Thecat23
26-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Didn't the stats say The Rangers had 6 shots on target? If so that's shocking that all 6 went in!

Ronniekirk
26-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Didn't the stats say The Rangers had 6 shots on target? If so that's shocking that all 6 went in!

You couldn't make that up ,hibs seem to find new ways to grab the headlines

are we not getting treated to any of your photos from Saturday night ,they may be more revealing than all the nonsense getting posted on. S A thread the now :wink:

The_Horde
26-07-2015, 08:04 PM

Helps when you play with a goalie :greengrin

Thecat23
26-07-2015, 09:19 PM
You couldn't make that up ,hibs seem to find new ways to grab the headlines

are we not getting treated to any of your photos from Saturday night ,they may be more revealing than all the nonsense getting posted on. S A thread the now :wink:

Haha I'm sure there's a few pics out there as a lot of Hibs fans were speaking and wanting pics! Kenny thinks Hibs were far the better side until we lost the first goal. He thinks the timing on them killed the game! I was pretty pissed off. What he was surprised at and even spoke to Gray about was how at 2-6 Gray was still bombing forward and not man marking! Kenny says you do realise I'll be gone if we break and Gray says I'm just doing what I'm told, so looks like Stubbs said keep going instead of maybe closing up shop. He still thinks Hibs are the team to beat and it's going to be a very close league.

I honestly said I thought we would stroll it but The Rangers after Sunday will fancy their chances now. More so with the crap with Allan.

Thecat23
26-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Helps when you play with a goalie :greengrin

😁

The_Horde
26-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Haha I'm sure there's a few pics out there as a lot of Hibs fans were speaking and wanting pics! Kenny thinks Hibs were far the better side until we lost the first goal. He thinks the timing on them killed the game! I was pretty pissed off. What he was surprised at and even spoke to Gray about was how at 2-6 Gray was still bombing forward and not man marking! Kenny says you do realise I'll be gone if we break and Gray says I'm just doing what I'm told, so looks like Stubbs said keep going instead of maybe closing up shop. He still thinks Hibs are the team to beat and it's going to be a very close league.

I honestly said I thought we would stroll it but The Rangers after Sunday will fancy their chances now. More so with the crap with Allan.

Just out of curiosity.. Does he have any thoughts on both goalies?

MWHIBBIES
27-07-2015, 01:53 AM

I honestly said I thought we would stroll it but The Rangers after Sunday will fancy their chances now. More so with the crap with Allan.Of course Grey was still coming forward, he scored a perfectly good goal at 5-2 and there isn't exactly a lot to lose at that point.

Thecat23
27-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Just out of curiosity.. Does he have any thoughts on both goalies?

No he never said anything about the keepers!

Thecat23
27-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Of course Grey was still coming forward, he scored a perfectly good goal at 5-2 and there isn't exactly a lot to lose at that point.

I'm not saying it's wrong I just found it strange as it leaves us more open and the game was lost! But I trust Stubbs more than I trust my own judgement in football management because I work in a office and not managing Hibs 😁

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2015, 05:43 PM
So is it just the mistake v Alloa then?

bigwheel
27-07-2015, 05:47 PM

look up his save to shot stats from last season...amongst the poorest in the league...it's not just obvious mistakes...it is his inability to be in the right position ...e.g. Raith away last season...about 3 of them on Saturday etc etc . Personally, I don't think a team with Oxley as their goalkeeper will win a league.

My_Wife_Camille
27-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Depends how you want to define a 'mistake'. You could argue that every goal he conceded last season was a mistake, unless of course they were deliberate.

For me last season there were only one or two clear blunders (you can add on another one after Saturday) Beaten at his near post on a few occasions, a couple more fumbles where we conceded from the rebound and a few games where the only thing he had to do was pick the ball out the net (and you can add on another one of those after Saturday too)

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Am I right in saying the defence are not to blame for any goals conceded?

Just want to get up to speed so I know who I'm supposed to be blaming for everything.

hibeerealist
27-07-2015, 06:55 PM
look up his save to shot stats from last season...amongst the poorest in the league...it's not just obvious mistakes...it is his inability to be in the right position ...e.g. Raith away last season...about 3 of them on Saturday etc etc . Personally, I don't think a team with Oxley as their goalkeeper will win a league.

Agreed and I am shocked that AS brought him back! IF you are reading these posts Ox prove us wrong

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2015, 06:56 PM

I can't find the shots to stats ratio - can you post a link?

GreenArmy1875
27-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Better than the Hun goalie?

Pretty Boy
27-07-2015, 07:21 PM
I can't find the shots to stats ratio - can you post a link?

Even if someone could provide a link it wouldn't mean a thing anyway. A shots to save ratio takes account of far too few factors.

Say in game 1 Keeper A has 6 shots from less than 12 yards at him and concedes 2 goals but makes 4 cracking saves. That's a save percentage of 66%. In game 2 Keeper A faces 5 shots all from 20 yards plus that are right at him, he saves 4 but in the last minute one slips through his hands and trundles into the net, he's saved 80% of the shots faced. By that logic he's had a better game in game 2 as opposed to game 1. It makes no sense to judge a keeper that way.

I judge Oxley using my own eyes. Last season he was decent, not spectacular but ok. On Saturday he had a mare, he'll know that and will be desperate to get back out there and get it out the system.

bigwheel
27-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Even if someone could provide a link it wouldn't mean a thing anyway. A shots to save ratio takes account of far too few factors.

Say in game 1 Keeper A has 6 shots from less than 12 yards at him and concedes 2 goals but makes 4 cracking saves. That's a save percentage of 66%. In game 2 Keeper A faces 5 shots all from 20 yards plus that are right at him, he saves 4 but in the last minute one slips through his hands and trundles into the net, he's saved 80% of the shots faced. By that logic he's had a better game in game 2 as opposed to game 1. It makes no sense to judge a keeper that way.

I judge Oxley using my own eyes. Last season he was decent, not spectacular but ok. On Saturday he had a mare, he'll know that and will be desperate to get back out there and get it out the system.

Over a season those statistical factors are normalised.. each keeper (as long as they play enough games) will receive pretty much a random and normal distribution of shots...if one keepers stats are better over the season, then they have better goalkeeping stats...

I can't recall where I saw them, but they were around towards the end of last season...he was about last, in fact maybe last in the core goalkeeping stats...e.g. percentage of shots saved.

...I can't recall him having many particularly good games last season..not saying he didn't but I genuinely can't recall..most games he had little to do. When called into action he was prone to not coming for crosses, or dropping crosses or occasionally fumbling shots..to his credit, very few resulted in goals. They didn't do anything to build confidence though. He is not a goalkeeper who makes big mistakes. He equally though doesn't make enough saves. Most things that head towards him seem to end up in the net. How many times did we lose late goals in one of the oppositions few attempts on goal? ... in the main last season it was one or two goals.a game...It's weird, as he seems to have all the right attributes except he doesn't save many attempts at goal ...

Jonnyboy
27-07-2015, 07:37 PM

I saw that little exchange and assumed DG would be on his way to Ibrox as a result :greengrin At least they didn't hug :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
27-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Agreed. I remember him making saves late in games to keep the score down - vs Falkirk in the 3-3 game for example. I think Houston singled him out as the reason they didn't score 7.

jacomo
28-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Am I right in saying the defence are not to blame for any goals conceded?

Just want to get up to speed so I know who I'm supposed to be blaming for everything.

Petrie, obvs.

Keith_M
09-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Was Oxley genuinely the best we could get over the summer?

I can't imagine I'm the only one not convinced.

Thing is, he's not the only part of our defence that's unconvincing ATM.

bingo70
09-08-2015, 07:20 PM

I'm hoping the Spaniard is better (sorry, forget his name)

yekimevol
09-08-2015, 08:54 PM

There was rumors of us getting big ben back at the summer, would have taken him back over most keepers.

whiskas
09-08-2015, 10:01 PM
There was rumors of us getting big ben back at the summer, would have taken him back over most keepers. Not sure of that having been subjected to the Malmo highlights on BT sport recently. Seriously that day we'd have been better putting Lewis Stevenson in goal.

MWHIBBIES
09-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Not sure of that having been subjected to the Malmo highlights on BT sport recently. Seriously that day we'd have been better putting Lewis Stevenson in goal.Petr Cech had a bad game today, he useless as well?

Williams was a very solid keeper for us.

whiskas
09-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Petr Cech had a bad game today, he useless as well?

Williams was a very solid keeper for us.

Williams was poor at crosses (1st goal vs Celtic in the Scottish Cup final being cas in point) and his distribution was below par. He was a great shot-stopper though and in his first season saved umpteen penalties. The difference with a keeper like Cech is that if makes a mistake hevputs it behind him and his overall game is still top notch despite throwing one in.

GlesgaeHibby
10-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Was pretty surprised when we signed Oxley this summer as I thought he was awful last season. Makalambay, who I didn't rate, could at least pull off some great stops before throwing one in. Oxley isn't a shot stopper (only one decent save I can recall last season at Ibrox) doesn't command his box, hopeless with cross balls. I think the defence would be playing a whole lot better if they had somebody behind them that even half resembled a goal keeper.

HappyHanlon
10-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Williams was poor at crosses (1st goal vs Celtic in the Scottish Cup final being cas in point) and his distribution was below par. He was a great shot-stopper though and in his first season saved umpteen penalties. The difference with a keeper like Cech is that if makes a mistake hevputs it behind him and his overall game is still top notch despite throwing one in.

That waste of oxygen, skin, life etc...McGivern should have actually attempted something called Defending. :grr::fuming:

Keith_M
10-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Was pretty surprised when we signed Oxley this summer as I thought he was awful last season. Makalambay, who I didn't rate, could at least pull off some great stops before throwing one in. Oxley isn't a shot stopper (only one decent save I can recall last season at Ibrox) doesn't command his box, hopeless with cross balls. I think the defence would be playing a whole lot better if they had somebody behind them that even half resembled a goal keeper.

I realise I'm gonna get pelters for saying this but, I don't think Makalamby was as bad as a lot of people now make out.

He did have some really crazy moments, I don't deny that (like dribbling the ball on the edge of his box or the mix up with Jones that led to a Hearts goal) but I actually think people underestimate his goalkeeping because he often looked laid back while doing a lot of things that came easily to him because of his size.

There were a number of times where opposition forwards were tearing their hair out after making audacious attempts to chip the ball over him, only for Maka to nonchalantly reach out his hand and pluck the ball from a ridiculous height.

Other Keepers would have been praised for making a dramatic attempt at a save, but not necessarily preventing a goal.

During his spell at the Club, we actually had a reasonably good goals conceded record, and that was in the Premier, not the First Division.

p.s Just to make clear, this is not a 'Bring Back Maka' post :wink:

calumhibee1
10-08-2015, 12:45 PM
I realise I'm gonna get pelters for saying this but, I don't think Makalamby was as bad as a lot of people now make out.

He did have some really crazy moments, I don't deny that (like dribbling the ball on the edge of his box or the mix up with Jones that led to a Hearts goal) but I actually think people underestimate his goalkeeping because he often looked laid back while doing a lot of things that came easily to him because of his size.

There were a number of times where opposition forwards were tearing their hair out after making audacious attempts to chip the ball over him, only for Maka to nonchalantly reach out his hand and pluck the ball from a ridiculous height.

Other Keepers would have been praised for making a dramatic attempt at a save, but not necessarily preventing a goal.

During his spell at the Club, we actually had a reasonably good goals conceded record, and that was in the Premier, not the First Division.

p.s Just to make clear, this is not a 'Bring Back Maka' post :wink:

:agree: Maka made some great saves and had a few clangers. We now have a keeper who rarely makes any clangers but also rarely makes any saves.

Smartie
10-08-2015, 12:49 PM
I liked Maka.

I'm not sure if you want your goalkeeper to be an entertainer but that's what he was.

He cost us a few points but also won us a good few - which is easy to forget.

Looks like he's had a few years in Belgium since he left Swansea and is now playing in Romania.

Andy74
10-08-2015, 01:12 PM
I liked Maka.

I'm not sure if you want your goalkeeper to be an entertainer but that's what he was.

He cost us a few points but also won us a good few - which is easy to forget.

Looks like he's had a few years in Belgium since he left Swansea and is now playing in Romania.

He appears to have played in 4 games since leaving us.

Smartie
10-08-2015, 01:16 PM
He appears to have played in 4 games since leaving us.

Seriously?

I realised I hadn't heard anything much of him but didn't look in any detail.

Is he one of these "sub-keepers" that they sometimes talk about.

The_Horde
10-08-2015, 01:43 PM
10 shots on target in our competitive games so far. 8 conceded, 3 of which were outside the box.

Just found this info on Facebook. Can't be far wrong.

My_Wife_Camille
10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
10 shots on target in our competitive games so far. 8 conceded, 3 of which were outside the box.

Just found this info on Facebook. Can't be far wrong.
FFS do you know anything about goalkeeping? There's more to goalkeeping than just making saves you know. Stats prove nothing. All 8 shots were unstoppable.

Shrekko
10-08-2015, 02:40 PM
FFS do you know anything about goalkeeping? There's more to goalkeeping than just making saves you know. Stats prove nothing. All 8 shots were unstoppable.

Apart from Oxley's inability to stop shots, what else does he bring to the table bar his (admittedly) good distribution?

Big poser, content to watch it all happen in front of him.

Thecat23
10-08-2015, 02:50 PM

I know A little about goalkeeping and that's a shocking stat. When you say there's more to goalkeeping course there is but your first job is to STOP the shots! It's very simple, in fact that's the basics. Everything else you work hard on. Seems Oxley needs to work on actually saving basic shots, and remember the league we are in and the standard!!

The_Horde
10-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Funny, I just spat coffee all over my £1600 macbook pro.

Thecat23
10-08-2015, 03:05 PM

You think the 3rd and 4th in The Rangers game were 'unstoppable' along with the 2nd Dumbarton scored?

My_Wife_Camille
10-08-2015, 03:36 PM
You think the 3rd and 4th in The Rangers game were 'unstoppable' along with the 2nd Dumbarton scored?

Sorry TC, that was just some shocking banter on my part. Those were just some of the responses I was getting when I questioned Oxleys goalkeeping ability last season earlier on in this very thread. I'm very much of the opinion that he wasn't good enough last year and hasn't been good enough so far this season either

kentao
10-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I`ve never came away from a game with Oxley in charge and though wow did he keep us in it. I`ve mostly been disappointed and felt the keeper could have done better.

Big ben is a far better keeper and saved us numerous points during his time with Hibs. Gutted we didnt sign him up.

Also said when Rugerro signed that he would take the #1 Jersey hopefully that starts this week.

Thecat23
10-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Sorry TC, that was just some shocking banter on my part. Those were just some of the responses I was getting when I questioned Oxleys goalkeeping ability last season earlier on in this very thread. I'm very much of the opinion that he wasn't good enough last year and hasn't been good enough so far this season either

Ah right get you now, was going to say 😄

hibeesjoe
10-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Oxley standing at one end of his goals inviting the Dumbarton player to bang his free kick into the other side doesn't make the goal unstoppable, It's just stupid.

Reminded me of Hartleys free kick in the semi final when we got pumped 4-0. Everybody seen where it was going apart from Zibi the clown.

bill the hibby
10-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Oxley standing at one end of his goals inviting the Dumbarton player to bang his free kick into the other side doesn't make the goal unstoppable, It's just stupid.

Reminded me of Hartleys free kick in the semi final when we got pumped 4-0. Everybody seen where it was going apart from Zibi the clown.

Although it was a cracking free kick, I thought the same against Rangers at easter road in the 6-2 game. Like I said it was a good FK but oxley left that side of his goal very open.

yekimevol
10-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Not sure of that having been subjected to the Malmo highlights on BT sport recently. Seriously that day we'd have been better putting Lewis Stevenson in goal.

Gents im not saying that ben never had his issues, but compared to many of our keepers since danny andersson he had the least and was a very steady keeper for us and I trusted him more than many of our keepers prior.

Hibs1992
10-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Does anybody know if Cerny left us because we did not want to sign him or if he left of his own accord?

Seems to be playing well for Partick...

bingo70
10-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Does anybody know if Cerny left us because we did not want to sign him or if he left of his own accord?

Seems to be playing well for Partick...

He was apparently pretty ***** for our reserves so I imagine we never offered him a deal

3pm
10-08-2015, 07:47 PM
I realise it's part of professional fitba but shouting at him every week doesn't help.

The_Horde
10-08-2015, 07:56 PM
He was apparently pretty ***** for our reserves so I imagine we never offered him a deal

If he was ***** for our first team he'd have been fine though..

Hibs1992
10-08-2015, 08:01 PM

Fair enough.

I really think Stubbs might have made a mistake putting his faith in Oxley as our no.1 keeper.

Probably not the worst we have had, but bearing in mind he faces far less shots on his goal then he would if we were in the Prem. Most games we can only have 2 or 3 shots against us, yet normally at least one ends up in the net.

matty_f
15-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Made a couple of vital saves today, at crucial times. Much more like it.

tamig
15-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Made a couple of vital saves today, at crucial times. Much more like it.

The one on one save was critical. Much better but can still do better. There was a corner - I think - first half where it was his to claim but he punched it instead. Got away with it on that occassion but he won't always. Much better though.

Andy74
15-08-2015, 09:13 PM
The one on one save was critical. Much better but can still do better. There was a corner - I think - first half where it was his to claim but he punched it instead. Got away with it on that occassion but he won't always. Much better though.

I thought punching was the right thing to do and he did it well. It's the way keepers seem to be coached now generally but thought it was cleaner to do that than try and catch in the crowd.

O'Rourke3
15-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Actually thought he was solid today. I much prefer him punching as he's very dodgy catching in crowds and punches pretty well.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Pretty Boy
15-08-2015, 09:14 PM

I actually thought he done really well with that punch although a few around me agreed with you and were going mental.

The ball was spinning from a high height, he had a Morton player backing into him and a defender in his way as well. I thought he done well to get above both and get a solid punch that almost cleared the 18 yard box on it.

Capt Mainwaring
15-08-2015, 09:19 PM

He was quite right to punch and he punched it well clear. Solid performance for Ox today and the save from the Morton break away chance was vital.

Thecat23
15-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Oxley stood tall with the one on one and his punching was very good. Folk moan about him dropping balls (me included) so we can't moan when he does punch it and punch it well.

Praise when it's due and today he kept us in it at 0-0. Well done Oxley that's what we want from you each week and that will stop us having a go.

matty_f
15-08-2015, 09:22 PM
I thought punching was the right thing to do and he did it well. It's the way keepers seem to be coached now generally but thought it was cleaner to do that than try and catch in the crowd.

Yep, most goalies these days would have been punching that one.

tamig
15-08-2015, 09:23 PM
I actually thought he done really well with that punch although a few around me agreed with you and were going mental.

The ball was spinning from a high height, he had a Morton player backing into him and a defender in his way as well. I thought he done well to get above both and get a solid punch that almost cleared the 18 yard box on it.

I'm maybe being a bit harsh and the punch was reasonable enough - as it didn't fall in a dangerous position. I do think he could have caught it though. He's a big guy and I don't understand why so many current keepers don't use their physical attributes and be more positive when the ball's in the air. It maybe is a modern day coaching thing as another poster suggested.

lord bunberry
15-08-2015, 09:31 PM
He had a great game today, well done big guy

stoneyburn hibs
15-08-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm maybe being a bit harsh and the punch was reasonable enough - as it didn't fall in a dangerous position. I do think he could have caught it though. He's a big guy and I don't understand why so many current keepers don't use their physical attributes and be more positive when the ball's in the air. It maybe is a modern day coaching thing as another poster suggested.

I thought at the time he could've caught it, heho it worked out though. Oxley does my nut in, is he under instruction to be so slow with kick/throw outs ?

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2015, 09:42 PM
He had a great game today, well done big guy

He made a couple of excellent saves which were vital at 0-0. As one of those who doesn't have confidence in him, it's only right I give praise where it's due. I said yesterday I wouldn't have picked him to play, but he produced a very good performance.

lord bunberry
15-08-2015, 09:43 PM
He made a couple of excellent saves which were vital at 0-0. As one of those who doesn't have confidence in him, it's only right I give praise where it's due. I said yesterday I wouldn't have picked him to play, but he produced a very good performance.
Well said mate. Credit where it's due.

IberianHibernian
15-08-2015, 10:26 PM
2 or 3 excellent saves and when he punched there was no indecision. Possibly deserved MOM. Didn`t have much to do but what he did he did well. Morton goalie played well too.

HappyHanlon
16-08-2015, 08:12 AM
This thread will probably keep pinging every weekend. High praise to criticism and then back to high praise.

Still a young keeper who will ultimately make mistakes in his time with us (some will argue that it's not a young keeper we need to get out this division but I have high hopes for Ox)

Billy McKirdy
16-08-2015, 08:37 AM
What an embarrassment this thread is, ok he's not the best keeper we've ever had but is there really any need to bump this thread up every few days to undermine a current player?

Back him and back off and try to examine the bullying intent behind this undermining and damaging thread.

We should be backing all our players and not single them put everytime it takes our fancy.

He was sound yesterday.

No need. :aok:

oneone73
16-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Oxley stood tall with the one on one and his punching was very good. Folk moan about him dropping balls (me included) so we can't moan when he does punch it and punch it well.

Praise when it's due and today he kept us in it at 0-0. Well done Oxley that's what we want from you each week and that will stop us having a go.

Well said TC. Respect.

BoomtownHibees
16-08-2015, 09:19 AM
What an embarrassment this thread is, ok he's not the best keeper we've ever had but is there really any need to bump this thread up every few days to undermine a current player?

Back him and back off and try to examine the bullying intent behind this undermining and damaging thread.

We should be backing all our players and not single them put everytime it takes our fancy.

He was sound yesterday.

No need. :aok:

Bullying intent? Don't talk nonsense. It's a message board which will rightfully praise a player when doing well and pass comment when they don't play so well. I've criticised Oxley for previous performances but yesterday he done everything well.

Billy McKirdy
16-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Bullying intent? Don't talk nonsense. It's a message board which will rightfully praise a player when doing well and pass comment when they don't play so well. I've criticised Oxley for previous performances but yesterday he done everything well.

Fair enough, maybe used the wrong words, just gets me that every season certain players are targetted for ott criticism more than others, threads like this, the thread title itself, implies he's better off offski, change the thread title and I'll climb down off my horse :greengrin

emerald green
16-08-2015, 10:42 AM

:agree: Oxley got criticism after both The Rangers and Dumbarton matches which were justified IMHO. He therefore deserves praise for his performance yesterday.

His block for the 1 on 1 in the first half was good goalkeeping, and had Morton scored then I've got a feeling Hibs might not have taken all three points yesterday.

SON OF PADDY
16-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Fair enough, maybe used the wrong words, just gets me that every season certain players are targetted for ott criticism more than others, threads like this, the thread title itself, implies he's better off offski, change the thread title and I'll climb down off my horse :greengrin

For what it's worth, I totally agree with you mate.

My_Wife_Camille
16-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Did well today, especially with the one on one situation. The type of performance we should be expecting from out goalkeeper every week in this division

ManBearPig
16-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Agree admins please change thread title.

Centre Hawf
16-08-2015, 11:33 AM
:agree: Oxley got criticism after both The Rangers and Dumbarton matches which were justified IMHO. He therefore deserves praise for his performance yesterday.

His block for the 1 on 1 in the first half was good goalkeeping, and had Morton scored then I've got a feeling Hibs might not have taken all three points yesterday.

Didn't think he was anywhere near at fault for that game, the goals came from stupid fouls around the box. First wasn't defended properly when it was put into the box, and the second was a good free kick.

Billy McKirdy
16-08-2015, 11:52 AM
For what it's worth, I totally agree with you mate.

Cheers pal :thumbsup:

Glad it's no just me :greengrin

Billy McKirdy
16-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Agree admins please change thread title.

Or merge with the other Oxley appreciation threads? :greengrin