PDA

View Full Version : Expectations

Ozyhibby
24-05-2015, 02:00 PM
What are everyone's expectations for next season?
I expect us to win the league and as far as I'm concerned there can be no excuses for failure.
Does anyone think play offs would be acceptable?

Stranraer
24-05-2015, 02:01 PM
To win the league. The play offs would be unacceptable in my view given the lack of strong teams in the division.

silverhibee
24-05-2015, 02:03 PM
I expect us to win the league and as far as I'm concerned there can be no excuses for failure.

I will wait to see who is all in this league first.

The Falcon
24-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Whats this based on?

If The Rangers are still in this division, which is not unlikely, then we will struggle to better a rejuvenated and refinanced Hun over the piece. Best chance we have is if The Rangers get promoted although with Motherwell, St Mirren, Falkirk and QotS (although weakened) it is no foregone conclusion. We will certainly have a better shot than we did this time around.

JHFC
24-05-2015, 02:05 PM

Automatic promotion regardless. We are good enough to beat anyone on or day.

Gatecrasher
24-05-2015, 02:06 PM
For me it's all about the Rangers v Motherwell tie, If Rangers go up then it's win the League no doubt but if Rangers stay down then it has to be challenge Rangers for the title. Like it or not Rangers have a much bigger budget than us and we should manage our expectations accordingly.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Unless Sevco's still in the league, nothing less than champions will be acceptable next season.

Sharing a league with;

Alloa
Dumbarton
Falkirk
Greenock Morton
Livingston
Motherwell
Queen of the South
Raith Rovers
St Mirren

We really ought to be winning that league at a canter.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Whats this based on?

If The Rangers are still in this division, which is not unlikely, then we will struggle to better a rejuvenated and refinanced Hun over the piece. Best chance we have is if The Rangers get promoted although with Motherwell, St Mirren, Falkirk and QotS (although weakened) it is no foregone conclusion. We will certainly have a better shot than we did this time around.

The day I start worrying about Motherwell, St Mirren, Falkirk and Queen of the South is the day I pack football in.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Unless Sevco's still in the league, nothing less than champions will be acceptable next season.

Sharing a league with;

Alloa
Dumbarton
Falkirk
Greenock Morton
Livingston
Motherwell
Queen of the South
Raith Rovers
St Mirren

We really ought to be winning that league at a canter.

The feeling of anticipation is overwhelming.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Promotion, couldn't care less if it was with a scrappy own goal to win the playoffs in the last minute.

The Falcon
24-05-2015, 02:18 PM
The day I start worrying about Motherwell, St Mirren, Falkirk and Queen of the South is the day I pack football in.

That day might not be far off then.

GreenLake
24-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Bring in a couple of quality improvements to turn Hibs into a lethal team next season. We can win the league even with the huns present.

Gatecrasher
24-05-2015, 02:23 PM
If Motherwell go down they will have an off-season a bit like ours last season with major questions being asked about the management and playing staff. St Mirren will be better off with A new manager but it will be interesting to see what kind of players they can attract. QOS, Falkirk and Raith, just look at how many points we finished ahead of them. It won't be a walk in the park but assuming we can keep the majority of the squad we should be looking at winning the league.

Franck Stanton
24-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Promotion, couldn't care less if it was with a scrappy own goal to win the playoffs in the last minute.

Exactly, nail-hit-head. Who really cares how we get there, just get back to SPL and we can take it from there.

Waxy
24-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Cannot see Rangers beating Motherwell and their fortunate win against us could come back to haunt them next season when they finish behind us again.

Pete
24-05-2015, 03:07 PM

:agree:

If Rangers are in this league then it's foolish to automatically expect them to be as bad as they were this time. With McCall in charge and new, expensive signing, we're looking at second and it's unrealistic to expect first.

If they aren't then we should win it. Motherwell and Saints will be up there but we should have enough.

Rangers will beat Motherwell though. I can just feel it.

Pete
24-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Exactly, nail-hit-head. Who really cares how we get there, just get back to SPL and we can take it from there.

Even league reconstruction. A 16 team top flight is a sterling idea and needs looked at. Now.

:greengrin

Ozyhibby
24-05-2015, 03:09 PM

So just cruise along and hope we do well in the play offs.
Fair enough. Everyone has their own ambitions.

marinello59
24-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Fair enough. Everyone has their own ambitions.

But that's not what he said.

lord bunberry
24-05-2015, 03:12 PM
The aim must be to get promoted next season, it doesn't matter how it happens. I will be disappointed if we aren't putting up a strong challenge to win the league.

Ozyhibby
24-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Even league reconstruction. A 16 team top flight is a sterling idea and needs looked at. Now.

:greengrin

I know your joking but I'd rather not. We need to get back up by winning football games.

Jones28
24-05-2015, 03:14 PM
To win the league, by a good stretch as well

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Fair enough. Everyone has their own ambitions.Clearly didn't say that but okay.

Pete
24-05-2015, 03:18 PM
I know your joking but I'd rather not. We need to get back up by winning football games.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest to be honest. It would be someone else's decision and nobody remembers the dodgy decisions that saved Aberdeen from relegation.

overdrive
24-05-2015, 03:20 PM
To win the league, by a good stretch as well

This. But I can't see us doing that if The Rangers stay down.

Steve20
24-05-2015, 03:23 PM
If we don't get promotion next season, then changes would have to be made in the management team. Two attempts to get up is more than enough.

Eyrie
24-05-2015, 03:25 PM
All depends on who wins the playoff.

If Sevco Huns stay down, then being realistic I'd expect us to challenge them but finish second before being promoted through the playoffs.

If Motherwell come down, then I expect us to win the second tier. I'd accept promotion via the playoffs but would be disappointed.

And failure to be promoted will be a disaster. This season may have been the perfect storm (low morale, delay in getting Stubbs, need to rebuild the squad and get everyone on the same page whilst facing a prepared Yams and financially doped Sevco) but there will be no excuses next year.

jacomo
24-05-2015, 03:31 PM

I know, right? As well as wanting the Huns to lose against Well because they deserve a beating, it would also spice things up for term a bit.

pontius pilate
24-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Promotion cup double.
We will have the squad to do this and we now have the back room staff in place their can be no excuses for failing to win promotion

green day
24-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I go with stubbsy.

Win the league no matter if its motherwell or the disgusting sectarian racist **** orcs.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 03:54 PM

First three have all won the Scottish much more recently than we have. Well established clubs in the Scottish game and rivals of ours for longer than your grandad can remember.

Keith_M
24-05-2015, 03:57 PM
To win the league. The play offs would be unacceptable in my view given the lack of strong teams in the division.

:agree:

Der Hun are going to get promoted so we should be aiming to be Champions next season.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2015, 04:08 PM
First three have all won the Scottish much more recently than we have. Well established clubs in the Scottish game and rivals of ours for longer than your grandad can remember.

East Fife and Clyde have won the Scottish Cup more recently than us. Should we start fearing them too?

Glory Lurker
24-05-2015, 04:14 PM
We should be targeting first, regardless of whether we'll be taking trips to Ibrox or Fir Park. No excuses, just get it done!

Pete
24-05-2015, 04:19 PM
First three have all won the Scottish much more recently than we have.

:confused:

What a strange argument.

marinello59
24-05-2015, 04:20 PM
The aim has to be to go up as Champions.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 04:24 PM
East Fife and Clyde have won the Scottish Cup more recently than us. Should we start fearing them too?

No. They're not in our league. You're surely not worried about them. The others you mentioned are. And pretty much, always have been.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 04:25 PM
:confused:

What a strange argument.

Have you read the whole post? In what manner is it strange?

Pete
24-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Have you read the whole post? In what manner is it strange?

Yes I have. It still remains a strange argument to throw in as to why we should worry about them next session. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the price of cheese I'm afraid. You're right that they are traditionally our rivals but there are teams above us who aren't so why fear these two in particular?

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Yes I have. It still remains a strange argument to throw in as to why we should worry about them next session. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the price of cheese I'm afraid. You're right that they are traditionally our rivals but there are teams above us who aren't so why fear these two in particular?

I never raised these 'in particular', I responded to a post that did. I'm pointing out why they shouldn't be written off or disregarded. None of our peers should. And they are our peers. Two of them have been playing in a league above us all season. One of them finishes above us more often than not. We've struggled to beat QOS. Falkirk knocked us out the cup. Nothing strange about it unless you are acting like the big-time Charlie. Are we big-time Charlie's?

Pete
24-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I never raised these 'in particular', I responded to a post that did. I'm pointing out why they shouldn't be written off or disregarded. None of our peers should. And they are our peers. Two of them have been playing in a league above us all season. One of them finishes above us more often than not. We've struggled to beat QOS. Falkirk knocked us out the cup. Nothing strange about it unless you are acting like the big-time Charlie. Are we big-time Charlie's?

We should have enough to finish above them regardless of what league we have all been playing in. They will have rebuilding jobs to do while we will be hitting the ground running. Nothing to do with being a big time charlie, it's just analysing the situation without using irrelevant statistics like how recently teams have won the Scottish cup.

I get what you're saying though and we shouldn't really dismiss or disrespect them. However, we are a bigger club than them and unlike other times I believe we are on our way (steadily) to actually fulfilling our potential and that means bettering teams like these two who are obviously in trouble.

ScottB
24-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Winning the league, and if we fail, whether Rangers are around or not, it will be a failure, just as this season was, a failure.

One season out of the top flight is bad, two could easily turn into a prolonged stay. It's imperative Stubbs builds a side that can dominate and beat every team in this league, not just the part time ones. We won't have the luxury of an incompetently managed Rangers to compete with if they are still around, and 'Well and St Mirren won't be easy.

In short, we finally have to start delivering when it matters, in the big games, because when it comes down to it, Stubbs' side is as guilty of not doing that as any of his recent predecessors were.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 04:59 PM
We should have enough to finish above them regardless of what league we have all been playing in. They will have rebuilding jobs to do while we will be hitting the ground running. Nothing to do with being a big time charlie, it's just analysing the situation without using irrelevant statistics like how recently teams have won the Scottish cup.

I get what you're saying though and we shouldn't really dismiss or disrespect them. However, we are a bigger club than them and unlike other times I believe we are on our way (steadily) to actually fulfilling our potential and that means bettering teams like these two who are obviously in trouble.

That's all I am saying though and I used the Scottish Cup as a parameter for that. And it is a good one I'll always worry about other teams and won't be chucking it anytime soon. Irrelevant? The Scottish Cup? Where have you been man? Didn't Falkirk empty us out of this last month? They are one of the four written off in the post I responded to.

Carheenlea
24-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Even if Rangers are still in the league, winning the title, and winning with games to spare should remain the target. Rangers will spend, but while our budget will be minuscule in comparison, the squad they had this term and wages that go with it were on a different scale altogether, and we tanked them four times. By start of season I expect our team to be better than the one that finished this season, and one well equipped to aim for the title and automatic promotion.

Ozyhibby
24-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Winning the league, and if we fail, whether Rangers are around or not, it will be a failure, just as this season was, a failure.

One season out of the top flight is bad, two could easily turn into a prolonged stay. It's imperative Stubbs builds a side that can dominate and beat every team in this league, not just the part time ones. We won't have the luxury of an incompetently managed Rangers to compete with if they are still around, and 'Well and St Mirren won't be easy.

In short, we finally have to start delivering when it matters, in the big games, because when it comes down to it, Stubbs' side is as guilty of not doing that as any of his recent predecessors were.

100% agree

Pete
24-05-2015, 05:11 PM
That's all I am saying though and I used the Scottish Cup as a parameter for that. And it is a good one I'll always worry about other teams and won't be chucking it anytime soon. Irrelevant? The Scottish Cup? Where have you been man? Didn't Falkirk empty us out of this last month? They are one of the four written off in the post I responded to.

We'll agree to disagree on it's relevance then. It will be interesting to watch how Saints and maybe Motherwell react should they come down. Motherwell in particular aren't used to this so will they be a force to really be reckoned with or will it be a culture shock that they can't deal with? Time will tell I suppose. Statistically you are correct about them being our peers and that tells us more about our long term gross mismanagement than anything else. Such a waste and I hope these years are now finally over.

SanFranHibs
24-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Whats this based on?

Well, if we finished second above Rangers and we have a better shot then logically we will finish 1st :greengrin

Diclonius
24-05-2015, 05:23 PM
If Rangers are in the league: Anything less than 2nd, challenging for 1st is unacceptable.

If Rangers aren't in the league: Anything less than winning by a mile is unacceptable.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2015, 05:27 PM

The fact that Motherwell won the Scottish Cup in 1991, St Mirren in 1987 and Falkirk in 1957, when trying to argue how much of a threat they'll pose to us next season, is completely irrelevant.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 06:08 PM
The fact that Motherwell won the Scottish Cup in 1991, St Mirren in 1987 and Falkirk in 1957, when trying to argue how much of a threat they'll pose to us next season, is completely irrelevant.

You been off googling? Completely relevant taken in the context of the response to your post when you wrote them off. I know what you meant, you know what you meant. The day you worry about, for example, Falkirk, is the day you pack football in. Right?
Big time Charlie, like I said. I worry about all four you mentioned and I reckon I've a lot more to pack in than you.

Iggy Pope
24-05-2015, 06:15 PM
We'll agree to disagree on it's relevance then. It will be interesting to watch how Saints and maybe Motherwell react should they come down. Motherwell in particular aren't used to this so will they be a force to really be reckoned with or will it be a culture shock that they can't deal with? Time will tell I suppose. Statistically you are correct about them being our peers and that tells us more about our long term gross mismanagement than anything else. Such a waste and I hope these years are now finally over.

Me too, but they're not. By definition, I think you need to take a look at the noun, 'peers'. Motherwell and St Mirren have been our equal for a long long time. 40 odd years. Thats not my opinion. It's fact.

Baader
24-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Expect us to win the league regardless of the Huns being in it or not.

I suspect they won't be though as Motherwell's record against them is very poor.

weonlywon6-2
24-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Win the league hopefully without rangers in it, we will struggle to win if they stay down.
If the go up we can win the league but not by the margins some folk are saying

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2015, 06:48 PM
If Rangers are in the league: Anything less than 2nd, challenging for 1st is unacceptable.

If Rangers aren't in the league: Anything less than winning by a mile is unacceptable.So winning by a point on the last day and you'd want Stubbs out? Give me a break, promotion is the aim, couldn't care less how we get it.

tamig
24-05-2015, 07:31 PM
That's how I see it. St Mirren and Motherwell have a fair bit of rebuilding ahead although I'm sure they'll both try and get their new squads assembled sharpish and it will be interesting to see what level of player they'll be able to attract. In saying that we are almost a year down the road and I fully expect us to hit the ground running hard. The two clubs coming down could still suffer from an element of relegation hangover in the early part of the season. Based on that I'm very confident about our chances and don't see them posing any more of a threat than the likes of Falkirk or QOTS.

Pete
24-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Me too, but they're not. By definition, I think you need to take a look at the noun, 'peers'. Motherwell and St Mirren have been our equal for a long long time. 40 odd years. Thats not my opinion. It's fact.

I'm confident that my arguments haven't been effected in any way by my misunderstanding of a particular noun thank you very much. You are correct that we haven't done that much better than them but I'll repeat that it's down to our mismanagement of our superior resources for decades.

If we eventually realise our potential then nonsense indicators like Scottish cup wins become irrelevant.

DaveF
24-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Win the league or it will be (another) massive failure to add the list.

We played some decent stuff this season but dropped far too many points due to poor finishing and a lack of consistency. Fix them things out and I'd be hopeful of bringing some decent crowds back to ER which is what winning will do.

B.H.F.C
24-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Win the league. At the very minimum, promotion through the playoffs.

No excuses this time.

The Falcon
24-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Well, if we finished second above Rangers and we have a better shot then logically we will finish 1st :greengrin

Logic and football? It will never catch on.

I rate The Rangers chances against Motherwell no better than 50/50 and suspect, whatever happens, they will be better equipped and organised next season.

Lucius Apuleius
24-05-2015, 08:21 PM
If the hun don't get promotion, will McAll still be there? If not a new manager has to come in and find around a dozen new players. Will King throw money at him to sign players on thousands a week? Personally don't think so. I have no fear any more of the huns staying down, in fact I hope they do.

DH1875
24-05-2015, 09:22 PM
If sevco aren't in this league next year, we have to win it. No question.

Super Leigh
24-05-2015, 10:29 PM
If Rangers get promoted then the expectation is to not just win the title, but to win it at a canter.

If Rangers lose to Motherwell, which would only be in typical Hibs fashion, then the target is to win the league. We need to ensure that we comfortably put away the QoS, Raiths, Falkirks and Dumbartons of this world and hope that we can take points from Rangers in head to heads.

Either way, promotion is essential.

JJP
24-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Alan Stubbs already clearly stated the target for next season in automatic promotion without any mention of the outcome of the Rangers and Motherwell tie. So on that basis champions next season is what I will be expecting.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Alan Stubbs already clearly stated the target for next season in automatic promotion without any mention of the outcome of the Rangers and Motherwell tie. So on that basis champions next season is what I will be expecting.

But we need to be realistic though.

If Sevco don't beat Motherwell and then Dave King invests tens of millions of pounds into the squad over the summer then we're unlikely to be able to compete with them, unless their player recruitment fails big time.

If Sevco do go up then I would agree that anything less than first place would be unacceptable.

JJP
24-05-2015, 11:07 PM
But we need to be realistic though.

If Sevco don't beat Motherwell and then Dave King invests tens of millions of pounds into the squad over the summer then we're unlikely to be able to compete with them, unless their player recruitment fails big time.

If Sevco do go up then I would agree that anything less than first place would be unacceptable.

We won't be playing Rangers every week though. We will play them 4 times. Hearts won the league by being consistent against the smaller teams in the league and we should aim to do that next season.

Hibeesmad
25-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Win the league and another good cup run

flash
25-05-2015, 06:51 AM

Am sure all these towns will have a pub that opens at 7am.