PDA

View Full Version : Onwards and upwards now

23-05-2015, 02:58 PM
So disappointed that we aren't getting promoted this season. The team gave everything but for some reason we just can't take our chances. We finally have a team that we can be proud of though. A team that has a fight about them. Unlike last season, we have a decent team to build on and a full summer to prepare. This time last year we were in a hell of a state, we had no team and no manager - the club from top to bottom was a complete and utter shambles. But we have built ourselves up from there, it was never going to be quick or easy but we made big changes and I believe now we are on the right path.

With a full summer to prepare and build on the team we have I believe we will be back stronger next season and more than capable of challenging for 1st spot.

:flag::gwa:

connerg
24-05-2015, 12:54 AM
So disappointed that we aren't getting promoted this season. The team gave everything but for some reason we just can't take our chances. We finally have a team that we can be proud of though. A team that has a fight about them. Unlike last season, we have a decent team to build on and a full summer to prepare. This time last year we were in a hell of a state, we had no team and no manager - the club from top to bottom was a complete and utter shambles. But we have built ourselves up from there, it was never going to be quick or easy but we made big changes and I believe now we are on the right path.

With a full summer to prepare and build on the team we have I believe we will be back stronger next season and more than capable of challenging for 1st spot.

:flag::gwa:
Challenging in the first division again. Deary me, Rod and Leanne love you. Have you bought a season ticket?

Northern Hibby
24-05-2015, 06:38 PM
I think that we almost started on a minus this season, our stating position next season will be far stronger, I'd obviously have been happier going up this season but looking forward to coming up stronger than ever.

GGTTH

Malthibby
24-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Challenging in the first division again. Deary me, Rod and Leanne love you. Have you bought a season ticket?

Hopefully toasting the Championship, they love me & I have.
Are you suggesting the way forward is not buying season tickets? Because that's a sure-fire way of destroying the club.
Anyway, could the admins set up two threads to embrace both sides of the debate?
We could have the 'Onwards & Upwards / Time to move on' and a 'It's a shambles / Let's wallow & blame' threads &
folk could post in one or another, thus avoiding falling out with fellow Hibees or trying to 'out' potential
Jambo stirrers.
My wee grandson doesn't take losing easily, & wanted to leave before the end yesterday. We stayed, and the clapping during
the last period of the game, the link it created & possibly the lift it gave to the players turned his frame of mind completely.
He found out what it really means to be part of something, a bit of him grew up there and then, & I know he will be the better for that.
GGTTH

Jonnyboy
24-05-2015, 07:23 PM

I have, have you?

matty_f
24-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Renewed the day they came out.

We are in the Championship next season. As unappealing as that is, there is nothing we can do about it now, and nothing anyone at the club can do about it.

The only thing that we can realistically do is give Stubbs the means to get out the division as champions next season. Buying season tickets and shares / HSL subscriptions is the best way to do that.

I want to see players as good as Scott Allan at the club next season, so I bought my ticket early.

If there's a better way of doing something about the situation we are in then I'm all ears. I want Hibs back at the top so if there are grand plans to get us there I'll get on board.

marinello59
24-05-2015, 07:34 PM

I have renewed. I really hope you have.

NAE NOOKIE
24-05-2015, 07:56 PM

Are you saying that Leeann Dempster didn't do everything in her power to get us promoted and that it would now be her opinion that anybody buying a season ticket is a sucker .... coz that's what it looks like.

Are you going to wallow in all this self pity bull**** like too many of our so called supporters, or are you going to recognise the progress that has so clearly been made and back the club in its attempt to get us back to where we want to be.

A few folk have asked you already ..... have you bought a season ticket?

Mind you .... A season ticket for Tynecastle AND Easter Road.... unusual in this day and age eh ....... http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/jambo%20clown1.jpg

Steve20
25-05-2015, 08:02 AM
This 'we have a manager and team we can be proud of' that keeps getting said. Do we?

We managed to play better against part timers and Kenny McDowall teams. But when it really came to it, we were found not good enough again.

1 win in 4 v Falkirk
1 win in 4 v QOS
1 win in 4 v Hearts
1 win in 4 v Raith.

Chuck in a semi final defeat and an exit from the playoffs at the first hurdle, then what exactly has happened to be proud of? Staying down? Passing the ball around some Alloa midfielders?

We are in a league below, of course we've won more games than last season. But as has happened for the past many years, the season has ended on a sour note.

stantonhibby
25-05-2015, 08:11 AM
This 'we have a manager and team we can be proud of' that keeps getting said. Do we?

We managed to play better against part timers and Kenny McDowall teams. But when it really came to it, we were found not good enough again.

1 win in 4 v Falkirk
1 win in 4 v QOS
1 win in 4 v Hearts
1 win in 4 v Raith.

Chuck in a semi final defeat and an exit from the playoffs at the first hurdle, then what exactly has happened to be proud of? Staying down? Passing the ball around some Alloa midfielders?

We are in a league below, of course we've won more games than last season. But as has happened for the past many years, the season has ended on a sour note.

Do you have to spread your constant negativity over every thread?

flash
25-05-2015, 08:18 AM

I have. Sorry.

25-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Yes i have. I'll be back next season to support my club thank you :)

matty_f
25-05-2015, 10:19 AM

1 win in 4 v Falkirk
1 win in 4 v QOS
1 win in 4 v Hearts
1 win in 4 v Raith.

In a league where the champions were going to come from one of three clubs we finished second. Yes, you can pick individual results or sub-sets of results and use them to highlight whatever point you want, but equally you can say that Hearts went up as champions having only matched our head to head record with them this season (in fact, we are a goal better than them, but who is counting?). We beat third placed Rangers four times.

We could only beat the teams we were up against, and we won much more than we lost. We went on a long unbeaten run and played some cracking football at times.

We reached the semi final of the Scottish Cup, something that Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts, and Rangers all failed to do.

We also saw our club slowly but surely start to reconnect with the support after last season.

I think there's a lot to be proud of, if you want to find it.

Of course, if you're of a mind to only find the worst in every single situation then you'll find that if you look for it, too.

col02
25-05-2015, 10:23 AM
In a league where the champions were going to come from one of three clubs we finished second. Yes, you can pick individual results or sub-sets of results and use them to highlight whatever point you want, but equally you can say that Hearts went up as champions having only matched our head to head record with them this season (in fact, we are a goal better than them, but who is counting?). We beat third placed Rangers four times.

We could only beat the teams we were up against, and we won much more than we lost. We went on a long unbeaten run and played some cracking football at times.

We reached the semi final of the Scottish Cup, something that Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hearts, and Rangers all failed to do.

We also saw our club slowly but surely start to reconnect with the support after last season.

Of course, if you're of a mind to only find the worst in every single situation then you'll find that if you look for it, too.

Anyone who cannot see the foundations being laid to drive the club forwards are never going to see the positives. Hibs might have done things arse over elbow with training facility and then stadium rebuilding but we now have a system in place and settled to fully utilise the infrastructure to its potential. Looking forward to next season already and I personally can't recall that being the case for a wee while now!

Bobby's Cinema
25-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Anyone who cannot see the foundations being laid to drive the club forwards are never going to see the positives. Hibs might have done things arse over elbow with training facility and then stadium rebuilding but we now have a system in place and settled to fully utilise the infrastructure to its potential. Looking forward to next season already and I personally can't recall that being the case for a wee while now!
:agree: It's taken me a while this season to get on board. But there comes a point as has been said on other threads, where you have to make a decision to forget what's gone before. :aok: Hopefully Stubbs continues his excellent signing record and gives us a few more to be excited about

truehibernian
25-05-2015, 10:34 AM

1 win in 4 v Falkirk
1 win in 4 v QOS
1 win in 4 v Hearts
1 win in 4 v Raith.

We are already up on the previous season then as we had 0 win in 1 v Raith :greengrin

Rememberingevery one of the games you mention, only a loss at Palmerston was where we truly deserved to get beat as we created nothing that day (IIRC it was Malonga's second/third game). In all the others we either played them off the park or at least deserved to win.

I was chatting to my mate today and we can't recall Hibs ever hitting the woodwork as often in games either - or is it just me micro analysing games too much ?

steviehibsleith
25-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Many threads about players but for us to go onwards and upwards we need to make sure Stubbs is at the helm next season. Done a fantastic job finishing second in the league after a late appointment and not really having a chance to assess the squad. We now play from the back and keep possession and play football. Few changes to the squad and yep onwards and upwards next season :greengrin

Gerard
25-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Leeann Dempster and Alan Stubbs have in 1 year made progress, it was not enough to get promotion or get to a cup final. In this year we have been offered a way to buy shares in Hibs and through HSL make it possible for the fans to own a major shareholding in our club. The prospect of playing in the CL is not as inviting as playing in the SPL but we are where we are and must accept that. If enough people who are able buy STs/shares/donate to HSL then we will win promotion next year and build the structures that will make this club a contender for silverware.. In posting this reply it did not result in any local business or person not being paid:wink:

liamh2202
25-05-2015, 03:43 PM

1 win in 4 v Falkirk
1 win in 4 v QOS
1 win in 4 v Hearts
1 win in 4 v Raith.

I'm sure our neighbours across town got promoted and are offering good St deals... Why don't you treat yourself to one as you won't be missed here

Keith_M
25-05-2015, 04:05 PM
moan, whinge, greet, whinge, moan, etc.

{edited for quicker readability}

Do you have to spread your constant negativity over every thread?

Yes, he apparently does.

Along with a few other posters, it seems to be his current mission to get on everybody's T1ts.

Last year, Trolls like this were launched if they didn't give it a rest.....

SanFranHibs
25-05-2015, 04:10 PM

I do understand why some are not feeling quite so 'proud' at this moment. Fact is, we did fail in EVERY competition. Did I expect to win all of them....well no. Does it feel good knowing that bunch from along the road are ALREADY back in the SPL and I emphasise already as only a year and a half ago we were celebrating their possible extinction and certainly their demotion for years to come.

I think 'proud' is the sticking point for me? Why proud?

Maybe I am just having difficulty understanding 'pride' when it comes to a football team. We can only expect what every fan of every other team in the world should expect and that is that their club, from top to bottom, performs to its utmost week in week out. If we had won every game and gained promotion I don't think I would be 'proud'. Just very, very happy!

Now if you had said there are things to be positive about I would have to agree.

Do I think next season we could perform better with a good start to the season? Yes.
Do I think next season, regardless of who else in the Championship, we can win it? Yes.
Will I attend as many games as I can when I am in town. Yes.

But the team and coaching staff need to be ready from the outset. No 'building' excuses. Stubbs and his staff and the squad he decides upon deserve our full support but they also have to earn it every week. That does not mean I expect them to win every game and win every game in style, but we cannot afford another season dropping points to teams we must beat if we are to gain promotion.

Another season of proud failure I don't think we can afford.

jacomo
25-05-2015, 05:29 PM
We can play 'I told you so' from now until the beginning of next season if we want to. We can criticise decisions (or the absence of them) that further delayed our preparations for the season just gone.

But what purpose does it serve now? The people in charge now have undeniably turned this club around, and if we fell short then at least the club has acted with integrity and honesty and not ripped anyone off.

And if people want rid of the chairman there is now a clear opportunity to do that.

Not all of my concerns have completely gone away but the club is now better run and headed in the right direction. I will support us in achieving our goals next season.

s.a.m
25-05-2015, 05:45 PM
I do understand why some are not feeling quite so 'proud' at this moment. Fact is, we did fail in EVERY competition. Did I expect to win all of them....well no. Does it feel good knowing that bunch from along the road are ALREADY back in the SPL and I emphasise already as only a year and a half ago we were celebrating their possible extinction and certainly their demotion for years to come.

I think 'proud' is the sticking point for me? Why proud?

Maybe I am just having difficulty understanding 'pride' when it comes to a football team. We can only expect what every fan of every other team in the world should expect and that is that their club, from top to bottom, performs to its utmost week in week out. If we had won every game and gained promotion I don't think I would be 'proud'. Just very, very happy!

Now if you had said there are things to be positive about I would have to agree.

Do I think next season we could perform better with a good start to the season? Yes.
Do I think next season, regardless of who else in the Championship, we can win it? Yes.
Will I attend as many games as I can when I am in town. Yes.

But the team and coaching staff need to be ready from the outset. No 'building' excuses. Stubbs and his staff and the squad he decides upon deserve our full support but they also have to earn it every week. That does not mean I expect them to win every game and win every game in style, but we cannot afford another season dropping points to teams we must beat if we are to gain promotion.

Another season of proud failure I don't think we can afford.

You're absolutely entitled to feel that way. However, at the end of next season, despite their best efforts there will be 34-38 losers in the SPFL, 41 League Cup losers, and 89 Scottish Cup losers. Most of those teams will win nowt, and are equally unlikely to win anything the season after either. So, given the fact that most of us are doomed to failure, the rewards are in things like taking pleasure in individual victories or goals, your rivals taking a doing, a new player showing promise or a young player making their debut. Or maybe even taking pride in and enjoying a sense of community with each other, and the players we've been watching all season? Obviously we all want our teams to improve and succeed, and are entitled to expect club management to do their best to win the prizes on offer, but I don't think it's unreasonable that fans of Hibs or any other team attempt to take some pleasure from the glimmers of hope or joy that present themselves to us. Otherwise, it's just an expensive form of self-harm.

SanFranHibs
25-05-2015, 06:44 PM
You're absolutely entitled to feel that way. However, at the end of next season, despite their best efforts there will be 34-38 losers in the SPFL, 41 League Cup losers, and 89 Scottish Cup losers. Most of those teams will win nowt, and are equally unlikely to win anything the season after either. So, given the fact that most of us are doomed to failure, the rewards are in things like taking pleasure in individual victories or goals, your rivals taking a doing, a new player showing promise or a young player making their debut. Or maybe even taking pride in and enjoying a sense of community with each other, and the players we've been watching all season? Obviously we all want our teams to improve and succeed, and are entitled to expect club management to do their best to win the prizes on offer, but I don't think it's unreasonable that fans of Hibs or any other team attempt to take some pleasure from the glimmers of hope or joy that present themselves to us. Otherwise, it's just an expensive form of self-harm.

Which might be the same as me being very, very happy when things go right for Hibs.

And if we are taking pleasure in achieiving our goals then obviously we can take little pleasure from last season because we did not achieve anything. If winning more games in a lower division is an achievement would it be an achievement if we dropped down another division and won even more games? Of course not. And if we are taking pleasure in our rivals taking a doing, again we can take no pleasure as our most bitter rivals ran away with the division and are looking forward to playing in the SPL, whilst our other main rivals knocked us out of the playoffs and are still in contention.

So what is left? 'Pride' in winning nowt and being doomed to failure as you predict? Not a productive long term outlook

And I think anyone reading my original posting could see I am not being negative. I just do not understand the 'pride' aspect. Indeed I agreed we have some big positives and not only should we look forward to next season but should expect to be right up at the top of this division and challenging for the title. We should not be happy with another playoff scenario.

I stood at the end of last Saturdays game and applauded as I felt the team worked their socks off trying to overturn the 2 goal deficit and as disappointed as I was I thought they deserved the applause.

I think we are heading in the right direction but I still think it not unreasonable that Hibs fans should expect more next season, especially given the division that we are in.

I am sure that most Hibs fans would agree, especially next season that promotion must be achieved or again we will have failed and probably find ourselves starting all over again with a new manager, etc.

But as I said, I am positive we can actually achieve something next season, i.e. promotion.

And I can assure you, I will be very happy indeed.