PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Really disappointed by him over the last 2 games.

McCall worked out the diamond in the last game at ER.

We never looked like scoring playing that way when we went behind on Wed and other than a frantic 1st 15 today never looked like scoring today.

Then with 20 minutes to go today he chucks on 4 up front, lost all structure & looked even less effective. Admittedly we scored, way too late.

One Day Soon
23-05-2015, 01:11 PM

We never looked like scoring playing that way when we went behind on Wed and other than a frantic 1st 15 today never looked like scoring today.

Then with 20 minutes to go today he chucks on 4 up front, lost all structure & looked even less effective. Admittedly we scored, way too late.

The only upsides of this season are that a) we now have the core of a good squad and b) Stubbs has a season under his belt in management that will see him a lot stronger as a manager next year.

Scottie
23-05-2015, 01:11 PM
He's a very young and inexperienced manager that's why he is our boss.

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Not disputing that at all & he's demonstrated that in the last 2 games

Dinkydoo
23-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Hopefully he's learned that without world class players, we can't play as patient a passing game and expect to score loads of goals; because any halfway organised side will get behind the ball and pack out the defence.

What we needed today was midfielders who tried to drive past players instead of playing the possession game all the time. Allan was the only one doing that today and with McGeough and Fyvie a lack of ability isn't the problem, it was our gameplan - the same gameplan that has caused us problems all season and resulted in us completely outclassing teams without winning and in some cases, losing.

Totally gutted right now but at least we've a summer break to get over it and geared up for next season.

Onwards and upwards.

ScottM1875
23-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't think today can be blamed on stubbs, we actually created many chances (Cummings had a few, malonga had a couple etc) but we just didn't finish them. This can't be blamed on stubbs tactics imo

The_Horde
23-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Not stubbsys fault today.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-05-2015, 01:49 PM
He took us to second and we beat rangers today ....we were unlucky and stubbs and the team have done a fantastic job this season. ......well done lads

RoYO!
23-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Faboulous reception at the end and good to see him last off the field.

He's done an awful lot right for his first season in charge, especially considering what he inherited.

hibeesboii
23-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Great to see he appreciated the hibs fans at the end! Hopefully push on and win the league next season

davidw
23-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Indeed. And there's a bigger picture here. He inherited a shambles and had no time to sort it before the season began. But he still managed to bring in decent players and get the team playing in a much better way. The aim was always the play-offs and he did that. Now he's got a full pre-season to prepare and although we'll lose some players, he'll get some more. The last two games haven't been great but we are in a better place now than a year ago (albeit in the same crappy division).

Plus, if Rangers don't beat Motherwell, there will be an emergency league restructuring, and we'll be up anyway....

Keith_M
23-05-2015, 01:58 PM
It'll be interesting to see what he can achieve in terms of recruitment with a full pre-season.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Not really Stubbs' fault today IMO. There only so much you can do when the opposition are parking the bus to the max.

In Stubbs I trust.

Brightside
23-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Stubbs has made us a delight to watch times, again today we bossed Rangers. We just lack that final bit of quality in the final third. He knows that and hopefully he is allowed to change that. Twice I've heard how McCall has figured out the diamond 4?? I must watch two different games. Their players did nothing in midfield.

Smartie
23-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Absolutely ridiculous to blame Stubbs.

We were edged out of an even game at Ibrox with The Rangers taking their chances and us not taking ours and we fell short after dominating them for large periods at home.

We came out the blocks fast today but did not take our chances when we were on top. We got one goal but it was too little, too late.

He made changes today to shake it up but sadly it wasn't enough.

I don't know what more anyone could reasonably expect him to do. The one criticism that could be reasonably levelled at him was his reluctance to make a change up front on Wednesday night and after seeing the impact Farid made when he came on today you wonder why he didn't chuck him on for 20 minutes the other night.

Our injuries also robbed us of players who would have given us many more options, both in terms of tactics/ formations we could play and our attacking threat at set pieces.

We need to work on creating and taking chances over the summer as well as working out what to do with the out-of-contract players. But imo he has worked wonders to improve us as much as he has in only 1 year.

HappyHanlon
23-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Stubbs fault?

Deary me! That's a pathetic thing to come out with!

loanheadhibby
23-05-2015, 02:17 PM
It boils down to the club having massive games against Falkirk and 2 v sevco. A chance to give the fans something to shout about. Came up well short in all 3.

I don't think we bottled it, I just think we were not good enough. Ultimately season has been a failure.

cabbageandribs1875
23-05-2015, 02:23 PM
It boils down to the club having massive games against Falkirk and 2 v sevco. A chance to give the fans something to shout about. Came up well short in all 3.

I don't think we bottled it, I just think we were not good enough. Ultimately season has been a failure.

exactly, we arent as good as what some think we are, all teams do is let us play about with the ball all game...we seldom actually get anywhere with it though, i also think we had too many strikers on, with him taking off both stevenson and craig we were left with too few in midfield to actually get the ball to the strikers, kinda hoping the bigots go on to beat murrawell now

hibee_nation
23-05-2015, 02:23 PM
I would be more pissed if we won today and lost AS, long term he will get us back where we belong

Turkish Green
23-05-2015, 02:24 PM
It was not Stubbs fault today. We should have been 3 up by half-time. Malonga and Cummings were poor yet again in front of goal squandering a handful of good changes. In the first 20 minutes Hibs held 70% possession.

IF ONLY...

liamh2202
23-05-2015, 02:26 PM
We shouted for a team that played football the right way. He has given us that, it was a massive culture change and next season will hopefully see us put teams away more often than not.. The future is bright

pennyhibee
23-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Christ thi s time last year I thought we were capable of being relegated from this league but we failed to get promotion by a whisker I think that is progress under Stubbs

Ryan69
23-05-2015, 02:29 PM
The only upsides of this season are that a) we now have the core of a good squad and b) Stubbs has a season under his belt in management that will see him a lot stronger as a manager next year.

We don't have the core of a good squad. Do you actually expect half of the better players to want to play another season in the championship? No chance!

blackpoolhibs
23-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Stubbs has made us a delight to watch times, again today we bossed Rangers. We just lack that final bit of quality in the final third. He knows that and hopefully he is allowed to change that. Twice I've heard how McCall has figured out the diamond 4?? I must watch two different games. Their players did nothing in midfield.
I'd say losing this play off game was more about our inability to defend properly, the game was always going to be tight but defend like we did and it's always going to be difficult.

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Stubbs fault?

Deary me! That's a pathetic thing to come out with!

Really? Would you like to point to any tactical decisions over the playoffs that you thought have gone well? Particularly the decision to persist with diamond considering McCall had proven he had a plan that could nullify it before we even got here?

The_Horde
23-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Really? Would you like to point to any tactical decisions over the playoffs that you thought have gone well? Particularly the decision to persist with diamond considering McCall had proven he had a plan that could nullify it before we even got here?

What do you propose we did instead? Played wingers? What wingers?

Thecat23
23-05-2015, 02:39 PM

Farid should have been on in the first leg but today we battered them first 20 mins and were so unlucky not to score! He went for it at the end and it paid off with us scoring. He was spot on with his tactics today the players just couldn't score!

J-C
23-05-2015, 02:40 PM

He didn't nullify it, 2 soft goals on Wednesday and total domination for almost 2 games, he did what all the wee teams have done, men behind the ball and hit on the break, it's a tried and tested system.

Keith_M
23-05-2015, 02:42 PM
He didn't nullify it, 2 soft goals on Wednesday and total domination for almost 2 games, he did what all the wee teams have done, men behind the ball and hit on the break, it's a tried and tested system.

and one that Stubbs seriously has to work out how to counter.

Smartie
23-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Without Boyle, Forster and Watson being available, with Farid supposedly being less than 100% fit and without us having any wingers of note could you suggest anything that you think he could have done differently?

He should have made a change up front on Wednesday. Even then we might not have scored.

He threw everything at them today. It's not his fault when our final ball isn't good enough, when strikers miss chances and when our defenders briefly go to sleep (as they did the other night).

The ball broke for us once around their box in 2 games and we scored from it.

We has worked wonders to bring us on as much as he has. I hope he can hold onto most of these players and I hope he can add a few more because whilst he makes the odd mistake (nothing unusual for a rookie manager) he gets way more right than he gets wrong. He has proven in his 2 transfer windows so far that he can provide solutions when faced with problems.

bingo70
23-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Disappointing some are so quick to come on here and look to point the figure of blame at someone who's generally done pretty well for us this year.

I thought the players gave it everything today and we ended up with five up front so there's no question of us not going for it.

Stubbs has made decisions I've not agreed with this season but imo It wasn't his fault today.

gaz1875
23-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Indeed. And there's a bigger picture here. He inherited a shambles and had no time to sort it before the season began. But he still managed to bring in decent players and get the team playing in a much better way. The aim was always the play-offs and he did that. Now he's got a full pre-season to prepare and although we'll lose some players, he'll get some more. The last two games haven't been great but we are in a better place now than a year ago (albeit in the same crappy division).

Plus, if Rangers don't beat Motherwell, there will be an emergency league restructuring, and we'll be up anyway....

Spot on, to criticise Stubbs with the shambles and time scale he had to turn things around is short sighted. We were (I think) double figures behind The huns at one point this season, they had a team that should have strolled the league like the Gorgie ***** did, but we managed to over take them. We lost on goal difference against them and at no time did they control any of either match. Our main striker is 19 years old and finished above everyone else in the league scoring charts. We lost because we tried to play attacking football and win not sit in and counter attack. Stubbs will make mistakes like Cummings but they are also gaining huge experience for next season. I for one think things will get better whoever stays down with us.

:gwa:

J-C
23-05-2015, 02:53 PM
We had key players injured so the system we would've gone with was not there 3-5-2. There will be a few not here next season, lets give Stubbs our backing abd lets see what a full pre season abd all players in place can produce.

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Farid should have been on in the first leg but today we battered them first 20 mins and were so unlucky not to score! He went for it at the end and it paid off with us scoring. He was spot on with his tactics today the players just couldn't score!

How's that not nullifying it? No matter how they scored we knew the only way were were & stopped it.

Definition of insanity is trying the same thing & expecting different results. Never worked for the 1st 2

jdships
23-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Not stubbsys fault today.

:agree::thumbsup:

Purple & Green
23-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Winning when it matters and winning all your winnable games are two habits we sadly lack and have done for a number of years. I think it's more psychological than tactical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currie Hibee
23-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Just watched stubbsy's interview on hibs TV and he is brilliantly honest. Yes he is learning and will make mistakes but you cannot blame the result on him. It comes down to fine margins when teams are not miles apart. Rangers took 2 chances, we didn't..end of. I genuinely believe that we will go straight up next year. Clear out a few players and sign 1 or 2 of real quality and we will stroll the league.

Radium
23-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Just watched stubbsy's interview on hibs TV and he is brilliantly honest. Yes he is learning and will make mistakes but you cannot blame the result on him. It comes down to fine margins when teams are not miles apart. Rangers took 2 chances, we didn't..end of. I genuinely believe that we will go straight up next year. Clear out a few players and sign 1 or 2 of real quality and we will stroll the league.

He was very straightforward - next year we want to win it. No hesitation, no waiting to see who is in the league, no prevarication, just a declaration of intent.

:gwa:

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 03:38 PM
We had key players injured so the system we would've gone with was not there 3-5-2. There will be a few not here next season, lets give Stubbs our backing abd lets see what a full pre season abd all players in place can produce.

Who? Boyle? I think he's started 3 games for us since March. No quite 'key'

Baader
23-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Think the only thing we can say about Stubbs is we didn't appoint him quick enough after last season's debacle...

Super Leigh
23-05-2015, 03:45 PM
I dont think anyone can deny that Stubbs has done a good job so far. The club is moving in the right direction and the team is playing the type of football that Hibs fans have been crying out for since Mowbray left.

However, tactically, Stubbs clearly has work to do. It's not a coincidence that we have struggled to break teams down when they defend deep. It's not a coincidence that we have drawn a number of games at home this season. It was not a coincidence that Rangers won that play-off.

Obviously we were the better team today. But Rangers never came to score a goal. They didn't need to.

Unfortunately Stubbs got his tactics totally wrong in the first leg. We might have been the better team in spells, but we didn't need to score a goal. Trying to hit Rangers on the break resulted in us losing 2 sloppy goals. All Stubbs needed to do was set up a defensive team to stagnate the game. Rangers never looked like they could be dangerous for large spells. They are a very poor team and this fact alone means many fans will be turning their heads and looking at the manager to ask why we could not beat them over 180 minutes.

The players gave everything today. Cummings was very good, as was Allan, Craig (not really sure why he was taken off to be honest) and in particular Fyvie.

I am very confident that Stubbs is the man to mount a challenge for the league next season. But what I will be looking for in particular is evidence that he has learned from mistakes - like not losing to Falkirk, QoS, McCall multiple times in similar fashion.

The reality is that many of our quality players will likely leave in the summer, so more rebuilding is in order for Stubbs. We need to hit the ground running next season.

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 04:43 PM

weonlywon6-2
23-05-2015, 04:47 PM
It's all if's and buts, he has brought Hibs a huge distance in his time here and I strongly believe he will only make us better
we will probably lose some players but he will no doubt pick up some good ones also

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm more than happy that Stubbs is the man for the job. Give him a chance he inherited a shambles and this season is the first for a long time that we have come close to playing this mythical "hibs way"

liamh2202
23-05-2015, 05:17 PM
How long is his contract?

bingo70
23-05-2015, 05:19 PM
How long is his contract?

2 years so got a year left

Bearders
23-05-2015, 05:25 PM
I'd say losing this play off game was more about our inability to defend properly, the game was always going to be tight but defend like we did and it's always going to be difficult.

Agreed. Over the 2 games we also needed a striker that can sniff out penalty box half chances especially in and around the 6 yard area. First 20 minutes of both games a poacher would have netted for us.

liamh2202
23-05-2015, 05:26 PM
In that case I would like the club to offer an extension. He has been a breath of fresh air

bingo70
23-05-2015, 05:32 PM
In that case I would like the club to offer an extension. He has been a breath of fresh air

I'd only offer him a new deal if he gets us promoted. If he can't do that next season then his times up imo.

liamh2202
23-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I'd only offer him a new deal if he gets us promoted. If he can't do that next season then his times up imo.

The problem there is he could take us up then walk for nothing

bigwheel
23-05-2015, 05:33 PM
The problem there is he could take us up then walk for nothing

Well. You don't get big compensation for managers anyway, so that bit is not a big issue ....

andy1875
23-05-2015, 05:35 PM
I really like Alan Stubbs and what he is doing to this club.

Yes it is a huge disappointment not going straight back up but being realistic, it was a huge uphill task due to our end of last season/summer drama with sackings, players leaving and what AS inherited.

He has my full backing and I really feel we'll excel next season under Stubbsy.

We have a good chief exec in place, a good young manager, the setup behind the scenes sorted, a right few decent players already signed up for next season, Gray, Hanlon, Allan, Farid, Cummings as a spine and we're already in a far better place than 12 months ago.

Due to the above, disapointed after today but a feeling we are finally moving in the right direction. The 90th minute applause also shows the fans can see it and feel it to.

We'll be back stronger and better after recent years of nightmares.

GGTTH

liamh2202
23-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Well. You don't get big compensation for managers anyway, so that bit is not a big issue ....

Fair point, I've always wondered why that is. Why is the managers market not managed similar to the players. Where clubs have to make an offer for another clubs manager

marleyhib
23-05-2015, 05:41 PM
OP sorry I think that's crap, Stubbs has been forced into playing 4-4-2 due to Forster being injured. We need to play 3-5-2 against them. Squad is too thin on quality and we really miss Boyle. Not Alan's fault I think he's done a good job and is still learning.

Normally you dont expect to meet the Huns and hearts in he championship. So while it's a massive disappointment not to go up it's hardly a massive failure.

J-C
23-05-2015, 05:41 PM

He's been key for 3-4 games before his injury, his pace would've panicked Rangers and most on here was saying sign the lad up.

Bishop Hibee
23-05-2015, 05:44 PM

We never looked like scoring.......until we scored?

If Stubbs had put El Alagui on at Ibrox to rough their defenders up with 20 mins to go a bit we might have scored there. Won loads in the air.

Stubbs knows we need pace and width thats why he brought in Boyle. He'll restructure the team over the summer. If we don't go up he'll be rightly sacked but from what i've seen this season I think we'll go up as Champions. I think The Rangers will beat Motherwell over two legs.

jacomo
23-05-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't think today can be blamed on stubbs, we actually created many chances (Cummings had a few, malonga had a couple etc) but we just didn't finish them. This can't be blamed on stubbs tactics imo

:agree:

Nothing wrong with the formation today. We had possession and territory.

Winston Ingram
23-05-2015, 05:50 PM
He's been key for 3-4 games before his injury, his pace would've panicked Rangers and most on here was saying sign the lad up.

Alloa & Falkirk?

J-C
23-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Alloa & Falkirk?

I give up with some of the people on this forum, never ****ing happy and always ****ing moaning, you'll not be happy till we're in Div 1.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2015, 06:33 PM
I give up with some of the people on this forum, never ****ing happy and always ****ing moaning, you'll not be happy till we're in Div 1.

Why would folk be happy when we have failed to meet our objective for the season? We are facing a second consecutive season outside the top flight for the first time in our history. There is nothing to be happy about!

J-C
23-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Some posters just annoy the hell out of me, always negative and never supportive, so irritating.

gaz1875
23-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Alloa & Falkirk?

Who else is he going to play against :rolleyes:

Benny Brazil
23-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Alloa & Falkirk?

Think its fair to say in our three big games this year Falkirk SC semi and 2 play off games - that we really missed Boyles pace - not saying he is a "key" player but he gives us something different - pace. He would have made a huge difference and if you cant admit that then words fail me.

ballengeich
23-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I posted criticism of Stubbs after the loss to Rangers at the previous ER game but I don't think he got anything substantial wrong today. Over the two legs we had more of the possession, but didn't take our chances - the Huns did, so it wasn't due to our manager's choice of formation. The Rangers were always likely to improve once the McCoist/MacDowell regime was replaced by a competent manager. That we've been so close on a budget much smaller than theirs suggests to me that Stubbs has done a good job overall.

liamh2202
23-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Think its fair to say in our three big games this year Falkirk SC semi and 2 play off games - that we really missed Boyles pace - not saying he is a "key" player but he gives us something different - pace. He would have made a huge difference and if you cant admit that then words fail me.

Agree with this. Boyle would be an excellent signing and would provide a much needed plan b

kaimendhibs
23-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Some posters just annoy the hell out of me, always negative and never supportive, so irritating.

🙌

HFCcammy1875
23-05-2015, 06:47 PM
I think he's done a fantastic job this season and we were unlucky we will 100% be back in the premiership next season

Steve20
23-05-2015, 06:53 PM
He's the manager thats failed to get us promoted. He's under performed so far. He must get promoted next season and no excuses like this season. He needs to be stopped being hero worshipped because not getting promoted is nothing but failure.

Northernhibee
23-05-2015, 06:57 PM
The one manager who is responsible for our current predicament is Terry Butcher and I hope to **** he enjoys every failure with his new team.

Benny Brazil
23-05-2015, 07:00 PM
The one manager who is responsible for our current predicament is Terry Butcher and I hope to **** he enjoys every failure with his new team.

I would say everyone connected with the club (bar the fans) since 2007 until the beginning of this season has contributed to our current predicament.

3pm
23-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I'm more than happy that Stubbs is the man for the job. Give him a chance he inherited a shambles and this season is the first for a long time that we have come close to playing this mythical "hibs way"

Hertz dick.

Northernhibee
23-05-2015, 07:04 PM
I would say everyone connected with the club (bar the fans) since 2007 until the beginning of this season has contributed to our current predicament.

Aye, **** the people working in the pie stands, no good enough.

Benny Brazil
23-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Aye, **** the people working in the pie stands, no good enough.

:greengrin

Well - you know what I meant! But now we're on the subject........

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Hertz dick.

Explain?

Thecat23
23-05-2015, 07:11 PM
I'd like to thank Stubbs for bringing back some pride to this club. I'd never thought we'd finish second at the start of the season but what he has done to turn us around in a short space of time is unreal.

Granted it was just a step to far to make the play off final but I really do think we have a very good man leading the club! One more season down here is horrible but I will only be one more. Reconstruction will see to that but I'll be honest. I think Hibs will win the league next year anyway.

So again, thank you Alan for bringing a much better brand of football to this club if only we had you in the prem we'd be a very hard team to beat.

See you next season GGTTH 💚

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Explain?please don't say it's because of the low post count. You would have had the same count sometime so it makes you one as well. I'm complimenting Stubbs and they way they have played this season( which I'm sure most fans think the same - does that make them hertz dicks). My hibs way point is referring to the fact that it's a long time since any of us can say we have seen that type of play. If that makes me a hertz dick then so be it.

Thecat23
23-05-2015, 07:13 PM
He's the manager thats failed to get us promoted. He's under performed so far. He must get promoted next season and no excuses like this season. He needs to be stopped being hero worshipped because not getting promoted is nothing but failure.

Fans are so fickle. Do you honestly think anyone else in charge would have won us the league? Look at hearts and how well they done and how long they prepared. To get us where we are from what we were start of the season is superb. Give the man some credit eh.

Northernhibee
23-05-2015, 07:21 PM

Well - you know what I meant! But now we're on the subject........

I blame our relegation last season on the quality of our Bovril.

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Fans are so fickle. Do you honestly think anyone else in charge would have won us the league? Look at hearts and how well they done and how long they prepared. To get us where we are from what we were start of the season is superb. Give the man some credit eh.

He is the man for the job and I like the way he speaks to the media, comes across as a really genuine guy who likes the club. Credit to the club and himself. Unlike butcher before him with that chronic jokey fool routine that he used to play with the media. Stubbs inherited a club in major decline but him and Leanne have turned it around, I don't think some hibs fans realise just how bad a state we were in and the work needed to stop the rot. Ok we didn't get up, but I for one enjoyed the season and can see a way forward with Stubbs.

TrinityHibs
23-05-2015, 08:28 PM
please don't say it's because of the low post count. You would have had the same count sometime so it makes you one as well. I'm complimenting Stubbs and they way they have played this season( which I'm sure most fans think the same - does that make them hertz dicks). My hibs way point is referring to the fact that it's a long time since any of us can say we have seen that type of play. If that makes me a hertz dick then so be it.

To be fair to to 3pm I think you're a hertz dick as well. Mibbees I'm just unhappy tonight but your use of the " Hibs mythical way"reeks of Gorgski

MWHIBBIES
23-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Winning when it matters and winning all your winnable games are two habits we sadly lack and have done for a number of years. I think it's more psychological than tactical.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo team in the world does this.

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 08:40 PM
To be fair to to 3pm I think you're a hertz dick as well. Mibbees I'm just unhappy tonight but your use of the " Hibs mythical way"reeks of Gorgskiok fair enough but when was the last time we played with any flair. We keep going on about the hibs way but I've supported them for 30 years and other than the tail end of the tornadoes when I started there's not been much in between. Ok a couple of seasons here and there but can any hibs fan of the last 30 years say there have been sustained flair moments. This season is the first for a while I have genuinely enjoyed watching hibs play, and yes I know it's a lower level but I leave most games having enjoyed it. So if saying that I haven't seen this 'hibs way' as being a reality makes me a hertz dick, then I'm guilty as charged. I would ask you and 3pm though, when have you seen the hibs way.

Mr White
23-05-2015, 08:43 PM
ok fair enough but when was the last time we played with any flair. We keep going on about the hibs way but I've supported them for 30 years and other than the tail end of the tornadoes when I started there's not been much in between. Ok a couple of seasons here and there but can any hibs fan of the last 30 years say there have been sustained flair moments. This season is the first for a while I have genuinely enjoyed watching hibs play, and yes I know it's a lower level but I leave most games having enjoyed it. So if saying that I haven't seen this 'hibs way' as being a reality makes me a hertz dick, then I'm guilty as charged. I would ask you and 3pm though, when have you seen the hibs way.
It's the username imo. LTYF

B.H.F.C
23-05-2015, 08:44 PM

I'm with Steve. Whilst I don't want Stubbs out the season can't be classed as a success.

The legacy Butcher left was terrible. But you can't take that in to account for the playoffs. Our season came down to two games, a long time after he left and we didn't deliver. Exactly the same as in the Scottish Cup semi final.

Thecat23
23-05-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm with Steve. Whilst I don't want Stubbs out the season can't be classed as a success.

The legacy Butcher left was terrible. But you can't take that in to account for the playoffs. Our season came down to two games, a long time after he left and we didn't deliver. Exactly the same as in the Scottish Cup semi final.

But it wasn't through lack of trying was it? We just simply missed chances and that's not Stubbs fault! I honestly think you and Steve and anyone else who thinks Stubbs "has failed" don't see the bigger picture.

If Stubbs didn't get us a play off spot and believe me the mess he inherited that was a possibility then I think that's a failure. I don't except being second best, but when you are so far behind and the come on leaps and bounds no one will tell me I'm excepting failure.

How about we stop this bull**** of booting the team and club when we need to come together.

Jonnyboy
23-05-2015, 08:50 PM

This is surely looking at the two extremes and basing a judgement on those outcomes alone? We were in a bad way when Stubbs arrived and ten months later we've just fallen short of making the play off final and in truth we should have horsed Falkirk. I think there has been some success, in reaching a cup semi and the semi of the play offs. Of course we could and maybe should have done better but I feel the success we've achieved, in developing way quicker than we might have done, is down to Alan Stubbs and his coaching team

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mr White;4381603]It's the username for me. LTYF[/QUOTE
i was being ironic and I'm not ashamed of the fact we haven't won it for a while.

Mr White
23-05-2015, 08:56 PM
i was being ironic and I'm not ashamed of the fact we haven't won it for a while.

Neither am I but wearing it like a badge while mimicking another posters username...

The_Exile
23-05-2015, 09:01 PM
A lot of folk on this thread are going to look absolutely ridiculous in 12 months time IMO.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2015, 09:01 PM
But it wasn't through lack of trying was it? We just simply missed chances and that's not Stubbs fault! I honestly think you and Steve and anyone else who thinks Stubbs "has failed" don't see the bigger picture.

If Stubbs didn't get us a play off spot and believe me the mess he inherited that was a possibility then I think that's a failure. I don't except being second best, but when you are so far behind and the come on leaps and bounds no one will tell me I'm excepting failure.

How about we stop this bull**** of booting the team and club when we need to come together.

Tell me what the big picture is then? Because, for me, it is that we are spending a second successive year outside the top flight for the first time in our history. That we are going to Alloa and Greenock next year.

We got ourselves in to a position where we could have achieved something in both the league and cup. I'd have been delighted with one or the other. When it mattered we fell short though. And that was through absolutely no fault of Butcher's mess, although I totally agree it was his fault we were here in the first place.

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Neither am I but wearing it like a badge while mimicking another posters username...

.....doesn't make me a hertz dick.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2015, 09:05 PM
This is surely looking at the two extremes and basing a judgement on those outcomes alone? We were in a bad way when Stubbs arrived and ten months later we've just fallen short of making the play off final and in truth we should have horsed Falkirk. I think there has been some success, in reaching a cup semi and the semi of the play offs. Of course we could and maybe should have done better but I feel the success we've achieved, in developing way quicker than we might have done, is down to Alan Stubbs and his coaching team

I get where you are coming from to an extent, and as I said, I don't want Stubbs punted. I think he has us on the right track but nobody will convince me we've achieved anything this year. There is a fair chance that we will need to rebuild a team again in the summer.

Northernhibee
23-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Tell me what the big picture is then? Because, for me, it is that we are spending a second successive year outside the top flight for the first time in our history. That we are going to Alloa and Greenock next year.

We got ourselves in to a position where we could have achieved something in both the league and cup. I'd have been delighted with one or the other. When it mattered we fell short though. And that was through absolutely no fault of Butcher's mess, although I totally agree it was his fault we were here in the first place.

The big picture is that we were in a league where three of the five biggest clubs in Scotland were competing. It's not as if Raith or Dumbarton or Cowdenbeath knocked us out of the playoffs, it was a team whos wage budget is much larger than ours.

Thecat23
23-05-2015, 09:07 PM

The bigger picture is right in front of you. Progress! We have no matter how many people try to knock us down have progressed enough that I'm confident going into this new season and I do think we will win it.

I do think many are underestimating the job Stubbs has done. From the young lads at Hibs right through to scouting and hiring coaches that will take us forward. Rome wasn't built in a day and while very disappointed I'm also looking forward to next season already.

So again, progress is what really matters! We will continue to move forward and because we never got up first time in a league that had Hearts who planned months ahead and done it right and Huns who still had good players just a bad manager some will chuck the toys out the pram. I'll be down Monday to renew for next season and I hope many on here have or will do the same.

B.H.F.C
23-05-2015, 09:14 PM
The bigger picture is right in front of you. Progress! We have no matter how many people try to knock us down have progressed enough that I'm confident going into this new season and I do think we will win it.

I do think many are underestimating the job Stubbs has done. From the young lads at Hibs right through to scouting and hiring coaches that will take us forward. Rome wasn't built in a day and while very disappointed I'm also looking forward to next season already.

So again, progress is what really matters! We will continue to move forward and because we never got up first time in a league that had Hearts who planned months ahead and done it right and Huns who still had good players just a bad manager some will chuck the toys out the pram. I'll be down Monday to renew for next season and I hope many on here have or will do the same.

I renewed last month but I just don't share your optimism on where we are.

We put ourselves in a great position and didn't do what we needed to do. As it's something we've done frequently over the years it just doesn't feel like progress to me.

Thecat23
23-05-2015, 09:16 PM
I renewed last month but I just don't share your optimism on where we are.

We put ourselves in a great position and didn't donwhat we needed to do. As it's something we've done frequently over the years it just doesn't feel like progress to me.

Each to their own, and yes its disappointing but I don't think looking on the downside after seeing how well Hibs have done recent months will help us move forward!

Smartie
23-05-2015, 09:18 PM
ok fair enough but when was the last time we played with any flair. We keep going on about the hibs way but I've supported them for 30 years and other than the tail end of the tornadoes when I started there's not been much in between. Ok a couple of seasons here and there but can any hibs fan of the last 30 years say there have been sustained flair moments. This season is the first for a while I have genuinely enjoyed watching hibs play, and yes I know it's a lower level but I leave most games having enjoyed it. So if saying that I haven't seen this 'hibs way' as being a reality makes me a hertz dick, then I'm guilty as charged. I would ask you and 3pm though, when have you seen the hibs way.

I started watching Hibs in the early 90s and in my time watching them I'd say…

Miller lost the plot and started playing great stuff with McAllister, O'Neill, Jackson, Wright et al.
McLeish's team - from promotion to the "6-2" team.
Mowbray's golden generation.
Much of Yogi's first season.

I'd say we've seen it in fits and starts over the years but not so infrequently that it should be referred to as "mythical".

We've also never really had any joy trying to win ugly. If we've had decent results we've normally done it playing decent stuff.

Whilst it's sometimes been frustrating, sometimes a bit indirect and without a cutting edge, at times we have been a joy to watch this season. And with a bit of tweaking we could become an excellent footballing side.

IWASTHERE1902
23-05-2015, 09:21 PM
I started watching Hibs in the early 90s and in my time watching them I'd say…

Miller lost the plot and started playing great stuff with McAllister, O'Neill, Jackson, Wright et al.
McLeish's team - from promotion to the "6-2" team.
Mowbray's golden generation.
Much of Yogi's first season.

I'd say we've seen it in fits and starts over the years but not so infrequently that it should be referred to as "mythical".

We've also never really had any joy trying to win ugly. If we've had decent results we've normally done it playing decent stuff.

Whilst it's sometimes been frustrating, sometimes a bit indirect and without a cutting edge, at times we have been a joy to watch this season. And with a bit of tweaking we could become an excellent footballing side.

Totally agree.

chrisski33
23-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Stubbs has been the best manager out of the last 3 or 4 managers in my opinion. I reckon if we have got promoted another club would have come in for him. (still a chance of that happening) losing the play off def not stubbs fault

Lee Marvin
23-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Hopefully he's learned that without world class players, we can't play as patient a passing game and expect to score loads of goals; because any halfway organised side will get behind the ball and pack out the defence.

What we needed today was midfielders who tried to drive past players instead of playing the possession game all the time. Allan was the only one doing that today and with McGeough and Fyvie a lack of ability isn't the problem, it was our gameplan - the same gameplan that has caused us problems all season and resulted in us completely outclassing teams without winning and in some cases, losing.

Totally gutted right now but at least we've a summer break to get over it and geared up for next season.

Onwards and upwards.

Spot on. My thoughts exactly. The fact we have better midfielders actually played into their hands.

CockneyRebel
23-05-2015, 09:31 PM

Fairly sure that means that it worked then?>

Lee Marvin
23-05-2015, 09:33 PM
A lot of folk on this thread are going to look absolutely ridiculous in 12 months time IMO.

Why?

LordBamba
23-05-2015, 09:40 PM
The squad seems to get on really well and are enjoying playing for hibs which is refreshing to see. Credit has to go to Stubbs for taking a team that had no confidence at the start of the season to turning them into what they are now. I'm happy with Stubbs, football been great and as a supporter that's what I want to see.

mca
23-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Stubbs has been the best manager out of the last 3 or 4 managers in my opinion. I reckon if we have got promoted another club would have come in for him. (still a chance of that happening) losing the play off def not stubbs fault

Thought that as well a few times Recently...

Borderhibbie76
23-05-2015, 10:31 PM

U need to gie it a rest mate...same drivel on every thread. Away and play with the traffic and gies peace

jacomo
23-05-2015, 10:37 PM
The squad seems to get on really well and are enjoying playing for hibs which is refreshing to see. Credit has to go to Stubbs for taking a team that had no confidence at the start of the season to turning them into what they are now. I'm happy with Stubbs, football been great and as a supporter that's what I want to see.

:agree:

AS clearly still learning (I think his game management during the 90 mins can certainly improve) but he and his coaching team have turned Hibs around. That first two months of the season while he was still finding his feet and putting his squad together really cost us.

Look forward to seeing what he can do next season and expecting good things.

ekhibee
23-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Although there is a possibility, no more than that, that Iwasthere1902 is indeed a Yam Fud, I can kind of see what he's getting at but don't agree with all of it. As a club we often seem to promise so much at the start of seasons gone by but often seem to fall short of the line. On the Stubbs issue, I have to admit I wasn't confident about him being appointed, particularly after reading what Everton fans had to say about him. That said, I couldn't have been more wrong. He's a young manager, still learning, and very nearly took us up in his 1st season. He'll learn from this season, and if he can strengthen up and /or keep the players that have made a difference to team performances all round, we must be in a very strong position to return to the top flight at the end of next season IMO.

poolman
24-05-2015, 01:43 AM

Oh dear😕

poolman
24-05-2015, 01:44 AM

Mallet heid

sauzeelegod
24-05-2015, 01:45 AM

Exactly. Well said

buktapurple79
24-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Really no happy wi anti Alan stuff - he gets us, our ways, our class, our community, our standards. We are also the stand out footballing side in Scotland and dreadfully unlucky not to be back in the SPL after that Hun relegated us. If we can keep him for 3 years plus we will write history. He's a winner in every respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

allezsauzee
24-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Absolutely ridiculous to be blaming Alan Stubbs tactics. We totally dominated that game yesterday and had we taken our chances would have beaten them by enough to go through. I do think he has made the odd mistake during the season but even experienced managers make some mistakes never mind one who is starting out in his managerial career. Its disappointing not to go up, especially when we know we have a team that would beat the majority of Premier League teams but our new management team are rebuilding this club after years of mismanagement and in my opinion doing a great job. I'm looking forward to watching us win the championship in style next season.

07BigD
24-05-2015, 07:05 AM
This thread is murder, Stubbs has done really well this season, ok we didn't get up but anyone that doesn't recognise the progress made this season have a wee think back to Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher.

Stubbs over that lot any day of the week.

3pm
24-05-2015, 07:24 AM
To be fair to to 3pm I think you're a hertz dick as well. Mibbees I'm just unhappy tonight but your use of the " Hibs mythical way"reeks of Gorgski

Correct. And the user name.

high bee
24-05-2015, 07:35 AM

The bigger picture is we were a basket case with only a few weeks to the start of the season.

The bigger picture is we finished above Rangers. We lost ONE of the playoff games to them and won the other.

The bigger picture is ANYONE can lose a game of football, even Celtic may have lost. Playoffs are designed to be make or break, over a season we deserved to go up more than them but in order to create drama to satisfy the neutrals we have playoffs which often result in teams going up t the expense of teams who finished above them.

I have no issue with the playoffs, I'm merely pointing out that the same people who were delighted we finished 2nd are calling Stubbs a failure for losing the playoffs.

JimBHibees
24-05-2015, 08:17 AM

Agree totally. Difference was we gave away a very poor first goal in the first leg and 2 0 was always going to be difficult to overturn. A lack of composure in the final third however the performances in both games was excellent and we should have been going through. To criticise the tactics or management is IMO nonsense. Only thing I would maybe question was that Farid should have played some part in the first game.

JimBHibees
24-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Alloa & Falkirk?

He was excellent in the derby where he ripped them a new one.

JimBHibees
24-05-2015, 08:28 AM
I'd like to thank Stubbs for bringing back some pride to this club. I'd never thought we'd finish second at the start of the season but what he has done to turn us around in a short space of time is unreal.

Granted it was just a step to far to make the play off final but I really do think we have a very good man leading the club! One more season down here is horrible but I will only be one more. Reconstruction will see to that but I'll be honest. I think Hibs will win the league next year anyway.

So again, thank you Alan for bringing a much better brand of football to this club if only we had you in the prem we'd be a very hard team to beat.

See you next season GGTTH 

Agree totally the style of football is excellent and I am now enjoying going to ER where previously it was turgid to watch. He and the club are going in the right direction.

3pm
24-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Agree totally the style of football is excellent and I am now enjoying going to ER where previously it was turgid to watch. He and the club are going in the right direction.

It's easier on the eye but we need to speed up. It's too patient at times IMO. That's why we've dropped the points we have, particularly at home.

Stubbs has done well but there is more to come.

JimBHibees
24-05-2015, 08:37 AM
It's easier on the eye but we need to speed up. It's too patient at times IMO. That's why we've dropped the points we have, particularly at home.

Not disagreeing and that is why someone like Boyle was missed as he gives us that change of pace which hurt teams who just sit in.

B.H.F.C
24-05-2015, 08:49 AM

I thought that was evident yesterday, particularly in the second half. Too many passes in the middle of the pitch which meant it took us too long to get in to the final third. Hopefully get some pace and width in the summer to give us a different option.

J-C
24-05-2015, 08:59 AM
I thought that was evident yesterday, particularly in the second half. Too many passes in the middle of the pitch which meant it took us too long to get in to the final third. Hopefully get some pace and width in the summer to give us a different option.

Maybe due to the fact Rangers got every man behind the ball and made it harder to pass through them, also no matter what people may say Rangers do have a few decent players and are now being managed properly, if McCall had came in earlier in the season we may have been play QOS 1st.

B.H.F.C
24-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Maybe due to the fact Rangers got every man behind the ball and made it harder to pass through them, also no matter what people may say Rangers do have a few decent players and are now being managed properly, if McCall had came in earlier in the season we may have been play QOS 1st.

Yep agree Rangers are much more organised than earlier in the season. But I just thought the second half, in fact the two full games, just summed up our season. Not enough cutting edge and I just feel we are a bit predictable in the way we play.

J-C
24-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Yep agree Rangers are much more organised than earlier in the season. But I just thought the second half, in fact the two full games, just summed up our season. Not enough cutting edge and I just feel we are a bit predictable in the way we play.

Our problem was we didn't have any options on the bench to change things, we needed Boyle for his pace and directness to have a go at a slow defence, remember Stubbs brought in the young lad from Everton to do the same thing, you may find us playing a different system next season with wide men.

IWASTHERE1902
24-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Admins, how do I change my username. It seems some people on here who can't have a constructive debate just want to label people as hertz dicks if they don't agree with their own opinions. And my username seems to offend some easily offended people.

sleeping giant
24-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Hertz dick

Mr White
24-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Hertz dick

:tee hee:

cabbageandribs1875
24-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Admins, how do I change my username. It seems some people on here who can't have a constructive debate just want to label people as hertz dicks if they don't agree with their own opinions. And my username seems to offend some easily offended people.

then you will just become an ordinary dick with another username :na na:

p.s. the 1902 reference really really hurts btw :(

hibees 7062
24-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Hertz dick

BoomtownHibees
24-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Maybe try something with 5-1 in it. A bit less subtle

Mango Man
24-05-2015, 12:12 PM
As soon as McCall came in I really didn't fancy our chances of going up, all that Rangers team needed was a half decent manager, all those players don't just become rubbish.

McCall coming in was the worst possible scenario for Hibs.

s.a.m
24-05-2015, 12:16 PM
As soon as McCall came in I really didn't fancy our chances of going up, all that Rangers team needed was a half decent manager, all those players don't just become rubbish.

McCall coming in was the worst possible scenario for Hibs.

I would agree with that. They're not world-beaters, but nor should they be as bad as they were regularly under McCoist / McDowall. Their confidence has improved, too.

Bishop Hibee
24-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Stubbs has impressed me so far. I've seen enough for me to believe with as much backing from the board as possible and luck with injuries we'll go up as Champions next season. I expect the Huns to beat Motherwell.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Progress is subjective here, there's no doubt the style of play is much better. Yet results are still losing the important games, and having a hand picked draw all the way to the semi final only to lose to Falkirk can hardly be called a success?

Maybe if we'd won that game, i'd certainly feel a bit more positive about the future, but we play our football in the 2nd tier of the Scottish game and we should be winning a large majority of games in that league.

And even though we are a better team than sevco, they won when it mattered.

Its winning the games that matter that gives you hope, we still don't do that enough yet.

Lee Marvin
24-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Progress is subjective here, there's no doubt the style of play is much better. Yet results are still losing the important games, and having a hand picked draw all the way to the semi final only to lose to Falkirk can hardly be called a success?

Maybe if we'd won that game, i'd certainly feel a bit more positive about the future, but we play our football in the 2nd tier of the Scottish game and we should be winning a large majority of games in that league.

Its winning the games that matter that gives you hope, we still don't do that enough yet.

What he said

ekhibee
24-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Yeh, good points BH. I suppose the best way of judging Stubbs will be at the end of next season. If we don't go up (again) probably best to bin him, because he will have had more than enough time. That said, he's one hell of an improvement on what came before him.

Eyrie
24-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Yeh, good points BH. I suppose the best way of judging Stubbs will be at the end of next season. If we don't go up (again) probably best to bin him, because he will have had more than enough time. That said, he's one hell of an improvement on what came before him.

Stubbs won't be binned, because he will be out of contract after next season. I can't see any way that we won't be involved in the playoffs at worst and he will be in charge for those games if we don't win the second tier.

However if the new model for the club is being operated correctly then Craig and Dempster should be monitoring coaches and managers to identify possible replacements in case Stubbs is approached by a bigger club or doesn't have his contract renewed.

I expect us to be doing sufficiently well that Stubbs will sign an extension next January.

PatHead
25-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Stubbs won't be binned, because he will be out of contract after next season. I can't see any way that we won't be involved in the playoffs at worst and he will be in charge for those games if we don't win the second tier.

However if the new model for the club is being operated correctly then Craig and Dempster should be monitoring coaches and managers to identify possible replacements in case Stubbs is approached by a bigger club or doesn't have his contract renewed.

I expect us to be doing sufficiently well that Stubbs will sign an extension next January.

I would like him to sign one now. Can't see players signing for longer term contracts if the manager isn't willing to commit to a longer term deal otherwise

HibbyAndy
25-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Stubbs will be here next year, So what is the alternative ? Get behind him or look into whether he's been good enough or not over the course of last season ?

I'l be right behind him. He never cost us a scottish cup final place it was the players that blew the chances we had!

J-C
25-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Stubbs will be here next year, So what is the alternative ? Get behind him or look into whether he's been good enough or not over the course of last season ?

I'l be right behind him. He never cost us a scottish cup final place it was the players that blew the chances we had!

Don't think he needs a longer contract, we've given them out all too often in the past and it's called us fortunes in payoffs. I'd like him to sign a 1 year rolling contract, a good incentive to do well and make us better.

pennyhibee
25-05-2015, 02:02 PM

Yes spot on .Maybe we could find a new Pat McGinley or Scott Brown Rough it up a bit when needed

TheFamous1875
25-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Yes spot on .Maybe we could find a new Pat McGinley or Scott Brown Rough it up a bit when needed

Good call. Maybe that's exactly what we need. Personally, I believe you need every kind of player in a squad so you can have more options for tactics and approaches depending on the opposition. I'd like to see us have an influential, hard-tackling organiser in the middle of the park; someone who stamps their authority on the game and the team and drags them through tough times. This type of player would be the perfect foil for Scott Allan. I can't remember the last time we had a player like that.

liamh2202
25-05-2015, 03:24 PM

Maybe Scotty would fancy a return he must be getting bored at Celtic now.. If not what's pat upto nowadays?

FromTheCapital
25-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I don't think McCall got the better of Stubbs at all. In the two games that they have beaten us this season, they've been on the back foot for most of the game but we haven't taken our chances, Leigh Griffiths, for example, would've had an absolute field day on Saturday with some of the chances we created and balls that were being out across the face of goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
25-05-2015, 06:40 PM
I would like him to sign one now. Can't see players signing for longer term contracts if the manager isn't willing to commit to a longer term deal otherwise

I have sufficient faith in Stubbs that I'd be fine with offering him the extension right now, but can also understand the logic in waiting to see how we start next season first.