PDA

View Full Version : Latest from Hibernian Community Foundation: GameChanger Scott Allan

RSS Bot
22-05-2015, 06:50 PM
GameChanger Scott AllanHIBERNIAN footballer shares experience of diabetes with local childrenMore than 100 young people will hear how Scott Allan manages condition at special eventHibernian star Scott Allan is aiming to inspire local children and young people with diabetes at a special event at Easter Road on Monday (25 May).
The footballer, who has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as a youth player, was recently named SPFL Championship Player of the Year, proving that the condition does not need to stand in the way of a successful sporting career.
The event, which is the first in a series of health promotion activities planned by the Hibernian Community Foundation and NHS Lothian, will see close to 100 children who have been diagnosed with diabetes and their families hear Scott talk about how he manages his condition as a sportsman.
Scott said: “I am delighted to be asked to provide positive messages to young people with diabetes. If they can draw some extra energy from meeting with me and having a conversation about how I manage my diabetes then that is fantastic. The fact that so many people want to come along is really humbling.”
Leeann Dempster, Chief Executive of Hibernian FC and a Director of the Hibernian Community Foundation, said: “Scott is a high profile professional athlete and sportsman who has managed to build a successful career despite being diagnosed with diabetes.
“He manages the condition very successfully, even during matches, and because of the help and support he has received is keen to help children and young people with diabetes understand the condition, how it can be managed better, and how much can be achieved despite it. Scott approached us to say he was keen to help in any way that he could, and to raise awareness of diabetes.”
Dr. Alan Jaap, Consultant in Diabetes, NHS Lothian, said: “Around 4% of the population of Lothian have diabetes – which although is a life-long condition, as Scott has proved, it does not need to stop you living a full and normal life.
“I’m sure Scott will act as an inspiration and positive role model for all of the youngsters attending.”
The event is part of ‘Healthy Hibs Messages’ – a series of health promotion events undertaken as part of the new GameChanger Public Social Partnership, the first Public Social Partnership launched by a football club in Scotland, and supported by Hibernian FC, Hibernian Community Foundation and NHS Lothian. This unique partnership has seen more than 70 different organisations signing up to work together with the joint aim of making Scotland’s population healthier.

More... (http://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/news/2015/5/22/gamechanger-scott-allan)