PDA

View Full Version : Taking my 6 year old

abgreen
22-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Hi.not posted and not been to er for ages. Taking my son to his first game tomorrow and he's very exited to be doing what his dad (used) to do!. Any tips for the ultimate match day experience for him. Sitting in the east as I thought it would be good for him to see it. And also got a stone in the terrace that he hasn't seen!

Keith_M
22-05-2015, 08:36 AM
OK, not exactly the 'ultimate matchday experience' but, when my kids were really young, I used to take them to Lochend Park to feed the ducks, then try to get a seat in the wee Cafe near the start of Albion Road (smokey jim's?).

It doesn't sound very exciting now, but the Kids loved the routine, and walking along Albion Road to the Stadium with all the other Hibbies used to get them excited for the game.

andrew70
22-05-2015, 08:37 AM
I used to love sitting waiting on the players coming in when I was younger, getting autographs etc...means an early start esp considering the KO time.

Take him in to behind the goals if you have or are going with Season ticket holders. First floor has an area for the wee ones.

JimBHibees
22-05-2015, 08:38 AM
I used to love sitting waiting on the players coming in when I was younger, getting autographs etc...means an early start esp considering the KO time.

Take him in to behind the goals if you have or are going with Season ticket holders. First floor has an area for the wee ones.

When does BTG open?

The Harp
22-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Good on you. Hope your laddie brings us some much-needed luck. No doubt he'll want some ER food - be warned though ... he'll expect the same every subsequent trip to see the Hibees (hope there's more).
Enjoy the game - Haste ye back!:aok:

abgreen
22-05-2015, 09:00 AM
When do you reckon the players get there for?
Has said he wants to go for a pint(of juice!)

JimBHibees
22-05-2015, 09:03 AM
When do you reckon the players get there for?
Has said he wants to go for a pint(of juice!)

I would guess at 1030 or so?

Mr White
22-05-2015, 09:30 AM
OK, not exactly the 'ultimate matchday experience' but, when my kids were really young, I used to take them to Lochend Park to feed the ducks, then try to get a seat in the wee Cafe near the start of Albion Road (smokey jim's?).

It doesn't sound very exciting now, but the Kids loved the routine, and walking along Albion Road to the Stadium with all the other Hibbies used to get them excited for the game.
My wee boy enjoys a wee walk through lochend park before and after the game to look at the swans and ducks. Though lately I've been encouraging going the other way so we can get a quick refreshment in the safari lounge :greengrin

For the op- bring snacks and pray you don't have a row of giants sat in front of you blocking the wee man's view. Hope it goes well and he's celebrating like mad by 1.45 :aok:

jacomo
22-05-2015, 09:31 AM
I took my 6 and 4 year old for the first time earlier this season. They lost interest waiting for a goal that never came (it was 0-1 loss to QoS) but were pretty engaged for a while.

Wee visit to the shop beforehand to buy a scarf and meet the Leith Lynx, and lots of snacks of course!

Sat in the East and it was fine, although my 6 year old did keep asking me why so many people kept saying the F word!

liamh2202
22-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I took my 6 and 4 year old for the first time earlier this season. They lost interest waiting for a goal that never came (it was 0-1 loss to QoS) but were pretty engaged for a while.

Wee visit to the shop beforehand to buy a scarf and meet the Leith Lynx, and lots of snacks of course!

Sat in the East and it was fine, although my 6 year old did keep asking me why so many people kept saying the F word!

Haha I took my wee man to his first game when he was two and sat in the East. He proceeded to go home and tell his mum the ref was a ****er haha

jacomo
22-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Haha I took my wee man to his first game when he was two and sat in the East. He proceeded to go home and tell his mum the ref was a ****er haha

Ah kids eh? :greengrin

andrew70
22-05-2015, 09:39 AM
When does BTG open?

Not helpful I know but didn't want to ignore your question, I haven't a clue. I'd imagine about 1030.

Also the players will be sharp around 10am - they meet earlier and eat together now so may even be earlier than 10am. I remember being told this by the sports scientist during one of the fans meetings.

liamh2202
22-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Ah kids eh? :greengrin

He was right btw

abgreen
22-05-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm actually looking foward to taking him more than the game itself if that makes sense! What's the best child friendly pub on leith walk/easter road?

Onceinawhile
22-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Take him in as late as possible, take food and something for him to do at half time as well as in the second half. Beware as well that the game might go to extra time and penalties which would be an extra 30/45 minutes. My son was bored rigid after about 45 minutes at his first game (1-1 v Partick Thistle) but I managed to get him through the second 45. Dread to think what would've happened If it had gone to extra time!

Cod Boy
22-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Iam taking my 5 year old son for the first time to Easter Road tomorrow he said he will be happy as long as he gets half time haribos

JimBHibees
22-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Not helpful I know but didn't want to ignore your question, I haven't a clue. I'd imagine about 1030.

Also the players will be sharp around 10am - they meet earlier and eat together now so may even be earlier than 10am. I remember being told this by the sports scientist during one of the fans meetings.

Ok thanks. I just assumed if they were eating they would do it away from the ground and then travel in together.

CockneyRebel
22-05-2015, 10:15 AM

He'd be right most weeks.

SmashinGlass
22-05-2015, 10:16 AM
I'd echo the above sentiments. When I first took my boy he was 5. Was a fairly torrid time (was the Colin Calderwood years after all). Thankfully he's now old enough to sit with his mates (near me of course) and they keep themselves entertained. I'd take plenty to keep him entertained in the event the football isn't to his liking. Nothing worse than having to try and keep a bored child entertained in a restricted environment. Good luck!

abgreen
22-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks for that.