PDA

View Full Version : If we were 2-0 up...

matty_f
21-05-2015, 06:42 PM
I'd still be nervous going into Saturday's game, and certainly wouldn't think we were safe. I'm not going to try and dress last night's result up as a positive, it was a sore one,but in some sense it takes a lot of the pressure of off us.
As things stand, we are out. We have nothing to lose and sometimes that can go in your favour.

If Rangers concede then it becomes a huge test of their bottle, and their bottle has crashed more than ours this season.

If we were 2-0 up, as we were last season, I'd be just as nervous going into the game as I would be at 0-0. We definitely have a chance.

We need to get right behind the team, make it supportive for the Hibs and hostile for the The Rangers.

The Harp Awakes
21-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I'd still be nervous going into Saturday's game, and certainly wouldn't think we were safe. I'm not going to try and dress last night's result up as a positive, it was a sore one,but in some sense it takes a lot of the pressure of off us.
As things stand, we are out. We have nothing to lose and sometimes that can go in your favour.

If Rangers concede then it becomes a huge test of their bottle, and their bottle has crashed more than ours this season.

If we were 2-0 up, as we were last season, I'd be just as nervous going into the game as I would be at 0-0. We definitely have a chance.

We need to get right behind the team, make it supportive for the Hibs and hostile for the The Rangers.

I think our chances on turning things around on Saturday will mostly depend on how Rangers approach the game. Hibs know what they've got to do and will throw the kitchen sink at Rangers. If Rangers sit back that will be a mistake IMO as I think they could crumble if Hibs get the 1st goal early enough. They're clearly uncomfortable on the ball, particularly at the back.

Hibs lost from the same deficit against Hamilton last year because we weren't positive. I suspect Rangers will do the same and we must take advantage like Hamilton did with us last year.

MyJo
21-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Look at what happened to us against Hamilton going into the second leg with a lead, we blew it because the pressure was on.

We're better as underdogs and chasing a result like we will be on saturday, Rangers aren't great and will IMO sit in a defend thier result and we're at home with less pressure now that we know what we need to do to get through.

Sir David Gray
21-05-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm not going to lie, I would love to be going into a home match against Sevco with a 2-0 advantage.

However we now know what we need to do on Saturday, we have nothing to lose now and sometimes that can work in a team's favour.

I would love to be in Sevco's position though and if we were I would feel quite positive about finishing the job.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2015, 07:28 PM
It never entered my mind that we would get emptied approaching the 2nd leg last year, once Hamilton equalised I could only see it going one way though.

Stevie Reid
21-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Completely agree, Matty. This is far from over - even if it's still 0-0 going into the latter stages of the game on Saturday, we're still in with a chance. We were less than a minute from staying up last season.

For all the tiresome chat on here about our bottle supposedly crashing regularly, the only time I've seen that recently was that second leg v Hamilton last season. Every single player panicked and simply punted the ball anywhere for 90 minutes, there wasn't an ounce of composure or football in us that day. It was truly, truly embarrassing.

Even in our more disappointing performances this season, we've been composed, brave on the ball, and tried to play football in tight areas. I thought we were excellent in possession last night, though definitely lacking in the final third.

Rangers have a significant advantage, but they also far more to lose than us. Let's see what happens - if the first goal goes our way at any point on Saturday then they're in for a tough time, especially having played so many games recently. I'd expect us to have a lot of possession, so hopefully they'll tire.

Let's make them work, and see what develops.

CockneyRebel
21-05-2015, 08:15 PM

If you concede it takes away the fear of conceding so we're quids in already.

Alfred E Newman
21-05-2015, 08:17 PM
If the roles had been reversed and we had won the 1st leg 2-0 at ER how many would think it was job done?

Brightside
21-05-2015, 08:24 PM
All the pressure is on Rangers. They are now expected to win and will be something like 1/6 to go through. Stubbs just tells them....go out.. play to your potential...make them eat their words. Its still there for the taking.

sbell1875
21-05-2015, 08:25 PM
If we're a goal up at half time on Saturday I've every confidence we'll get the job done in 90 minutes.

3 games in 6 days will eventually take its toll on Rangers. You could see last night after 70 minutes they pretty much surrendered possession and relied on a back 4 and a midfield 5 at home.

Sir David Gray
21-05-2015, 08:31 PM
If we're a goal up at half time on Saturday I've every confidence we'll get the job done in 90 minutes.

3 games in 6 days will eventually take its toll on Rangers. You could see last night after 70 minutes they pretty much surrendered possession and relied on a back 4 and a midfield 5 at home.

I don't think so, they don't do surrendering.

Have you not heard their fans before?

Pete
21-05-2015, 08:43 PM
While I agree with the OP, there is definitely pressure on us. We have to score twice and it's up to us to change the situation.

I hope we don't try and force it as that will play right into their hands.

HibeeHutch
21-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Exactly. Best post and perspective on last night's result so far. I was thinking exactly the same thing. If we had been 2-0 after the first leg absolutely NO WAY would I have presumed that the tie was over. Especially after the Hamilton debacle last year. In terms of the media inspired lack of bottle I also can't think of a consistent series of games this season where that has been the case (other than during our slow start). That slur could just as well be aimed at Rangers too. We had no bottle against Hamilton last year. This year we have thumped Rangers home and away and also beaten Hearts at home. McCall summed it up by stating 2-0 flattered Rangers. Everyone needs a little perspective right now and not only that get along to Easter Road on Saturday because you have your part to play as well!

jacomo
21-05-2015, 10:49 PM
If you concede it takes away the fear of conceding so we're quids in already.

You beat me to it. :wink:

Nutmegged
22-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Give me a 2 goal half time lead any day of the week

monktonharp
22-05-2015, 01:39 AM

3 games in 6 days will eventually take its toll on Rangers. You could see last night after 70 minutes they pretty much surrendered possession and relied on a back 4 and a midfield 5 at home.:agree:they were ****tin it, if we scored one. However, I do think we need an early goal, or it's over. despite my thoughts , most thought it was a done deal after Hamilton. I do recall discussing it in the Bus park at New Douglass Park when us fellow bus conveners were thinking, game over.

monktonharp
22-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Give me a 2 goal half time lead any day of the weekthat is a good start to a game, but there are a few twists and turns as they say, probably to come. not done yet, by any means.

greenlex
22-05-2015, 05:09 AM
Any things possible but poorer defences than Rangers came and parked the bus. We struggled all season with it. Add in the Clark/ Miller threat on the breakaway against a rather soft defence. I think it's a goal o far I'm afraid. Won't stop me being there and giving it 100%.. As I said any things possible.

green day
22-05-2015, 06:39 AM
So, after the initial annoyance post game we are now in an odd position.

Lose the tie, and its another year in the 2nd tier - not great, but I am hardly going to hand next years season ticket back?

Win, and it sets us up beautifully for Motherwell.

In a weird way, I feel quite calm about it - after the first leg last year I was sure 2 was not enough and was a bag of nerves. We all know what happened next.

I hope the players are relaxed as well - rangers have it all to lose right now and we are written off which could work in our favour.

Us fans need to allow the team time to score on Saturday, an early goal would be great but definitely not concede and push the huns until the final whistle. Not too much to ask, is it?

Jim44
22-05-2015, 06:57 AM
I couldn't bring myself to go on FF to gauge their confidence going into the second match but I was amazed at an overheard conversation last night. A guy at the table next to us on the telephone to a mate - "Loved it last night, we had them in the back pocket all night ; next game's a formality ; we're out the sh*t at long last ; our only hurdle next season is the filth at Parkhead." Unbelievable.

Benny Brazil
22-05-2015, 08:43 AM
I watched Liverpool's 2005 CL win in Istanbul last night - that proves that anything is possible - it ain't over, an early goal for us and as matty says it will put huge pressure on them - undoubtedly for me the key is for us not to concede early and take any chances that come our way.

Going to use a Yammish expression - I Believe.

Bristolhibby
22-05-2015, 10:23 AM
We need to do what Hamilton did to us.

An early goal, within the first 20 minutes please, then it's anyone's game.

If we get to ET, we will go through.

J

TheHarpy76
22-05-2015, 10:29 AM
The first goal on Saturday is going to be so important and I think both teams will come flying out the traps looking for it. I would be very surprised if Rangers just sit back and let us go at them.
If we get the first the I firmly believe that we'll turn the tie on its head, if Rangers get it then it's game over I'm afraid.

truehibernian
22-05-2015, 10:32 AM
First goal is crucial but even then I think if Hibs attack we can score a few goals.

For anyone swithering about going, ask yourself, if we were down at half time in a game to Dundee Utd, Killie, Motherwell.......would you go home or go to the pub ? You'd stay for the second half......no doubt about it.

That's the position we are in - Stubbs has done the half time teamtalk and out we come for the second half knowing exactly what we need to do.

I'm super confident with this game - bizarrely so, but I think we can beat them handsomely.

Waxy
22-05-2015, 10:53 AM
We've already beat them by 2 or more goals three times this season.

Smartie
22-05-2015, 11:00 AM
We've already beat them by 2 or more goals three times this season.

Which is absolutely the key for me.

Yes they're a bit more organised under McCall but they are the same players who have underachieved for them on many occasions this season.

They edged us out in a tight game on Wednesday. They now have to withstand everything including the kitchen sink being thrown at them.

HappyHanlon
22-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Hit the big laddie from Newcastle early doors with a robust (but fair) tackle and you'll take away their attacking weapon.

Also need to utilise corners better imo. Don't know why we soley rely on Scotty to take them. :confused:

Bad Martini
22-05-2015, 11:13 AM
So, in a way, the unthinkable already happened. We ALREADY ****ed it up big time....lets no talk pish about being feard to lose and be yamish about it being better we're behind. Its not - this team probably could have handled the pressure better than the nervous wrecks the Butcher put out last year.

However, thats gone. We canny change it. We lost two goals and we're here now. It therefore takes some pressure of us, puts some on the huns and gives us a place from which we now HAVE to come. We NEED to fight the *******s.

If we go down fighting them for every baw, we batter them and we do all WE can, not one of the 13,000+ Hibs fans will complain after the dust settles. We wont like it, but we'll accept it if we show 110% baws and fight these *******s because make no mistake, at tiems, they out fought us.

Lovely fitba is fine. It's braw. Sometimes you need to fight. I do not care if we return to Williamsonesque fitba for 90 minutes on Saturday. Provided when the final whistle goes we have won the tie, I dont give a rat's ass what happens in between.

Therefore, WHATEVER it takes to beat them, is what we need to do. All fitba and style is out the windae. That doesn't mean resorting to ****ty hoofball but if we need to mix it up, lets ****ingwell mix it right up and get RIGHT IN TAE THUM. Do that, and whatever happens, we can all keep oor heids high. Do it not, and we'll deserve the bull**** critique about bottle.

It's a simple as that for me. We CAN beat them. We CAN outfight them. We just need to want it enough.:aok:

ENDOF

Stevie Reid
22-05-2015, 12:18 PM
We were way more impressive on Wednesday than Hamilton were in the first leg of our play off last year - I remember thinking we were totally doomed before that first tie, they were flying and we were so inept; I was really surprised at how poor they turned out to be in that game.

However, Alex Neill came out and stated time and again that it wasn't over, and sure enough they came and played us off the park for the whole game, comprehensively proving that they absolutely deserved to be in the SPL ahead of us - and that was 1st Division vs SPL. We have been better than Rangers over the course of the season, and our three victories have been way more convincing than theirs.

We can do this. If we have the desire and determination to match the football we are capable of producing, I think we will.

DH1875
22-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Don't agree with the early goal stuff. Yeah it would be great but even if it gets to half time 0-0, we still have a chance. Key to it is, not for rangers to score first.

Smartie
22-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Don't agree with the early goal stuff. Yeah it would be great but even if it gets to half time 0-0, we still have a chance. Key to it is, not for rangers to score first.

Agree with this 100%.

We should absolutely be going for it 100% but we also need to be patient if it isn't going our way early.

We probably need to score by about 60 minutes but if we score to make it 1-0 at 80 minutes they will be 5hitting bricks for the last 10.

Tbh it would probably be worse to score after 1 minute then go 80 without scoring. That would be nervy as, because our expectation levels would have been raised.

Sioux
22-05-2015, 09:51 PM
That's where I am. Have the edge for most of the game going into 75 mins. Huns think they've done enough. We stick one in and have time for another. That lot defended with every player no more than 30 yards from their goal on Wed and certainly were not comfy. Mentally they'll be shot to bits, McCall will be like a rancid wee rat on speed wi his wee red fat face turning purple, on comes McCulloch and mayhem ensues!

Some peeepul think its all over - naw its no!:agree:

eebsie
22-05-2015, 09:58 PM
We need to get on the ball, create chances, keep the crowd onside, make them sweat, make corners count, make their keeper work, take our chances but not get on the back of anyone who shoots and misses.

steakbake
22-05-2015, 11:10 PM
It never entered my mind that we would get emptied approaching the 2nd leg last year, once Hamilton equalised I could only see it going one way though.

Funny, I was the total opposite. We were a beaten team before a ball was kicked. I hope we see that's not still the case tomorrow.

Onion
23-05-2015, 08:46 AM
We need to get on the ball, create chances, keep the crowd onside, make them sweat, make corners count, make their keeper work, take our chances but not get on the back of anyone who shoots and misses.

At 0-2 down, if we get past Sevco today it will be one of THE great performances and results by any Hibs team in recent years. The task is massive but doable. Get a goal back and let's see how the Huns enjoy their lead :greengrin

Callum_62
23-05-2015, 09:04 AM
we need the 1st goal - absolutely

I also think Sevco looked dead on there feet with 10-15 to play midweek

I think come 70 mins the same will apply

We have every chance if we can keep in the tie until then

Its a big ask - but I do think they are a fragile team, and actually - not that great

We cant be wasteful infront of goal tho - look how clinical they were midweek