PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs Tactics

Scottie
20-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Baffling IMO !

No plan B tonight again. Calling out for changes after their second goal.

Been very impressed with Alan this season in certain regards but he needs to make changes when they are glaringly obvious like Farid on for Cummings when we were having corner after corner late on.

Trying NOT to be negative but it's hard when the obvious is staring you right in the face.

Alex Trager
20-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Baffling IMO !

No plan B tonight again. Calling out for changes after their second goal.

Been very impressed with Alan this season in certain regards but he needs to make changes when they are glaringly obvious like Farid on for Cummings when we were having corner after corner late on.

Trying NOT to be negative but it's hard when the obvious is staring you right in the face.

Anyone care to explain why he has set his team 442 after the last game?

352 has seen us beat them three times this season.

Not happy at all with him tonight. Poor choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
20-05-2015, 09:34 PM

Do we have a third centre back.

KeithTheHibby
20-05-2015, 09:34 PM

Who would you play in the 3 then given Watson and Forster were injured?!?

B.H.F.C
20-05-2015, 09:35 PM

We didn't have 3 centre halves to play as a 3?

His lack of subs was a joke though. How Cummings got 90 minutes I'll never know.

Alex Trager
20-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Do we have a third centre back.

Watson?

BoomtownHibees
20-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Watson?

Injured

Alex Trager
He explained in his interview for Hibs TV last night that apart from Forster and Boyle everyone was fit

Smartie

Who would your 3 at the back have been?

I thought he did his best with what was available and it wasn't the tactics that lost us the match.

He absolutely should have made a change up front - that was baffling.

Boyle and Forster were a huge loss for us in terms of the options Stubbs had available to him.

Boyle89
20-05-2015, 09:41 PM
AS seems to falter from time to time. Robbo in the first derby. The tactics against sevco at er and tonight are 3 times he's got it wrong.
I have faith that he will get it right on Saturday and an early goal will see us pick up and finish them off.
GGTTH!

adhibs
20-05-2015, 09:42 PM
He explained in his interview for Hibs TV last night that apart from Forster and Boyle everyone was fit

If he was fit he would've made the bench, probably just stubbs not wanting to reveal too much

adhibs
20-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Lack off subs was shocking, stubbs has big improvements to make in his management

Alex Trager
20-05-2015, 09:43 PM
If he was fit he would've made the bench, probably just stubbs not wanting to reveal too much

Maybe.
Did seem weird mind you.

Billychaotic182
20-05-2015, 10:03 PM
What's wrong with playing Dunsmore as the third. Forster was an untested youth in his first game agaisnt hearts and played well. Big risk I know.

BoomtownHibees
20-05-2015, 10:15 PM
What's wrong with playing Dunsmore as the third. Forster was an untested youth in his first game agaisnt hearts and played well. Big risk I know.

Cos he's a full back that's never played centre half before?

Zazu62
20-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Why no sub striker? What's the point in having farid and dje dje, one of them should have got at least 20 minutes

J-C
20-05-2015, 10:24 PM
It's been a big bug bear if mine watching Stubbs struggling at times re tactics, he knows how to change things as he's used 3-4 different tactics this season but not to change things when it was clear it wasn5 working is now getting very annoying.

Lee Marvin
20-05-2015, 10:25 PM
There were no tactics tonight. None. Nada.

Peter Houston's opinion on how to score against us isn't looking so silly now either! We, on the other hand, want to walk the ball into the net. Unfortunately we are not good enough to do this against organised teams.

Iain G
20-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Made no sense, clearly wasnt working yet no attempt to change it? Our entire midfield under performed, Allans delivery from corners was innefective to say the least but we never mixed it up, Cummings should gave been replaced with Farid or DjeDje, but didnt change a thing, worrying that he seems to not even make an effort to mix it p when its not happening for us

Pretty Boy
20-05-2015, 10:33 PM
I think at 2-0 Stubbs decided to stick with his hand and try again on Saturday.

That can be the only explanation for the lack of changes (McGeough was already stripped when they scored the 2nd).

I felt sorry for Malonga who was working his socks off but having to do most of his best work 35 yards from goal as the service was so poor, we were crying out for Farid to offer a physical alternative to try and test their centre backs and one of the least confident looking keepers I've seen all season. Everyone around me was crying out for a change but with about 20 minutes to go all the Hibs subs stopped warming up and were sitting in the dug out bar a brief few seconds when Gray went down injured, Stubbs had obviously decided earlier doors there would be no more subs.

Rangers are far from a good team but McCall has the organised and as it stands he seems to have Stubbs' number.

Oh and how bad were our corners? We must have had about 15 and you're lucky if 3 caused even mild panic in the Rangers defence.

jacomo
20-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Why no sub striker? What's the point in having farid and dje dje, one of them should have got at least 20 minutes

:agree:

If you're chasing a game, it's the obvious change to make.

Hibeesmad
20-05-2015, 11:45 PM
I don't know If anyone else has heard anything but I got told from a jambo friend that Keith Watson has recieved interest from Hearts? I know that he was in the paper the other day saying he would like to earn a new deal here but whether there is something else to this I really don't know

silverhibee
21-05-2015, 12:09 AM
I think at 2-0 Stubbs decided to stick with his hand and try again on Saturday.

That can be the only explanation for the lack of changes (McGeough was already stripped when they scored the 2nd).

I felt sorry for Malonga who was working his socks off but having to do most of his best work 35 yards from goal as the service was so poor, we were crying out for Farid to offer a physical alternative to try and test their centre backs and one of the least confident looking keepers I've seen all season. Everyone around me was crying out for a change but with about 20 minutes to go all the Hibs subs stopped warming up and were sitting in the dug out bar a brief few seconds when Gray went down injured, Stubbs had obviously decided earlier doors there would be no more subs.

Rangers are far from a good team but McCall has the organised and as it stands he seems to have Stubbs' number.

Oh and how bad were our corners? We must have had about 15 and you're lucky if 3 caused even mild panic in the Rangers defence.

Floating them in like that, get a bit pace on them for our players to attack the ball, so easy for there defenders to defend these type of crosses, there goalie looked like a flapper but no real pressure put on him, get some shots hit at the target and players following through as he looks the type that may spill a few shots at him, he was barely tested either tonight which is the pish thing about it.

I would still stick with Cummings and Malonga for starting on Saturday.

This may not go down to well though, but i would drop Lewis Stevenson for Saturday if there is a replacement to come in for him to fit in to the left back spot, he didn't have the best of games tonight either, i did say something about it on the PM board before the game and i think McCall see's him as maybe a weak link that can be get at like he was tonight. No tin hat hat required.

J-C
21-05-2015, 12:32 AM
I don't know If anyone else has heard anything but I got told from a jambo friend that Keith Watson has recieved interest from Hearts? I know that he was in the paper the other day saying he would like to earn a new deal here but whether there is something else to this I really don't know

And this has got what to do about Stubb's tactics :confused:

Boyle89
21-05-2015, 12:36 AM
It may have been a tactical mistake tonight on Stubbs part but it's not as bad as last season.....
1-0 down to killie with 4 mins to go and we still had 4 at the back.

Just trying to lighten the mood ;)

greenlex
21-05-2015, 02:34 AM
Subs apart he tactics were fine. Plenty of the ball even in the final third. Poor show up front for the most. Poor defending at their goals. You can't legislate or prepare for either. No real options defensively but why El Al wasn't on for Cummings is beyond me. I was calling for it even before the second goal.

southern hibby
21-05-2015, 05:35 AM
Just a few things I've noticed this season.
The sub strikers during the pre match warm up don't get to take shots against the goal keeper. This leads to a situation like what happened when Malonga came on against Herts and shot. ( even though he should have passed ). Surely the strikers should be the first up against the goal keeper and not the defenders, whether subs or not??

AS is unlikely to change the formation during the game, infact he sometimes won't even change players when this is blatantly obviously needed.like last night.

AS has brought in his own coaching staff, but do they actually work on faults within the team / players? For instance. When Oxley takes a bye kick all the Hibs players bunch up on one side of the pitch like school children, even if they left one player on the opposite bye line to where Oxleys kicking the ball it would stretch teams. Also Cummins first touch all season has been poor yet no improvement what so ever, makes me wonder if he's even been practicing this.
Number of corners won, this season to actually benefitting from them is a major concern ( for me anyway ) that needs addressing, but maybe I'm being pedantic.
Don't get me wrong I believe Stubbs has done wonders and I have went to most games this season actually believing we would win them. It's just that certain aspects of his game plan and training I wonder what his thinking is. He is a young manager who I believe will become a top manager one day, but does he need someone helping him at certain aspects like Neilson has? We can pretend we have a great manager but all season certain aspects have not changed and maybe our manager needs someone to help address his faults like players need a manager / coaches to address theirs.

GGTTH

thebausburst
21-05-2015, 06:02 AM

Have to say not bothered if he goes.

Pete
21-05-2015, 06:08 AM

Jambo friends. What are they like?

Hibeesmad
21-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Jambo friends. What are they like?

Born with 7 fingers etc but apart from that they are not too bad! Haha

But really they are not too bad, they told me about Mullen possibly going to Hibs a while back and they have told me about signings before I actually knew they were happening this season so not the worst reliability

Keith_M
21-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Any team running at that Rangers defence with pace last night would have scored goals.

We still seem to be lacking that pace, trying instead to walk the ball into the net.

That needs to change on Saturday.

Smartie
21-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Any team running at that Rangers defence with pace last night would have scored goals.

We still seem to be lacking that pace, trying instead to walk the ball into the net.

That needs to change on Saturday.

I would agree but I simply don't think we have anyone with that pace.

We're lost without Boyle.

Iain G
21-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Think I would like to have seen Handling on, offers a different option in behind and keeps it simple and keeps it moving. Entire midfield were well below par, quietest I have seen Fyvie.

J-C
21-05-2015, 08:08 AM

Not so much pace but tempo, it needs to be upped.

Blaster
21-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Think I would like to have seen Handling on, offers a different option in behind and keeps it simple and keeps it moving. Entire midfield were well below par, quietest I have seen Fyvie.

I thought fyvie was poor too.

HFC 0-7
21-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Not so much pace but tempo, it needs to be upped.

That will never happen with Oxley in the team. I have noticed that every game he takes an eternity to take goal kicks.

Iain G
21-05-2015, 09:33 AM
I thought fyvie was poor too.

None of our midfield played well last night

Iain G
21-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Its a worry they had weeks to prepare the team for this game and we put out exactly the same shape and formation as when we lost againt them at ER...it didnt work then...

J-C
21-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Its a worry they had weeks to prepare the team for this game and we put out exactly the same shape and formation as when we lost againt them at ER...it didnt work then...

It didn't work at ER last time because McCall set them up with 3 at the back and nullified the wingbacks, don't think that was the problem last night, judging by what I heard on the radio and what has been said here, the midfield where by and large fairly poor, also we lost two soft goals again.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-05-2015, 09:52 AM
We need to stop lumping aimless high balls into the box as well, we had loads last night and not one of them troubled their defence.

Thecat23
21-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Scott Allan hit every corner kick the same. A floated ball which was cleared EVERY TIME! Stubbs should have Farid on for those balls! Why do we always seem to mess up the basics in the most inportant games??

B.H.F.C
21-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Scott Allan hit every corner kick the same. A floated ball which was cleared EVERY TIME! Stubbs should have Farid on for those balls! Why do we always seem to mess up the basics in the most inportant games??

I thought there was actually some decent deliveries in there. Bell was stuck to his line all night. When he did come he flapped a bit. Any set plays on Saturday and we need to pile in right on top of him. I think we just need to be more aggressive in going and attacking the ball. Floated balls or not that shouldn't stop us competing for them and they headered it away freely too often.

ManBearPig
21-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I think everyone is agreement for the amount of corners and set pieces we had Cummings should've been pulled for Farid.

Iain G
21-05-2015, 10:27 AM
I think everyone is agreement for the amount of corners and set pieces we had Cummings should've been pulled for Farid.

And Allan should have let someone else take some corners!

Thecat23
21-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I thought there was actually some decent deliveries in there. Bell was stuck to his line all night. When he did come he flapped a bit. Any set plays on Saturday and we need to pile in right on top of him. I think we just need to be more aggressive in going and attacking the ball. Floated balls or not that shouldn't stop us competing for them and they headered it away freely too often.

Get Farid on from the start. He wins everything in the air and would do better than What I'm saying though about the floated balls is after 7 or 8 times of it not working change it ffs. Whip it in or take it short and draw them out. Same every time though and it's not good enough.

Agree we need to just pile the pressure on this sat and get on top of them.

Steve20
21-05-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure Stubbs has done enough to get the incredible amount of praise he has recieved. Overall, our results haven't actually been that great and in our two biggest matches of the season (Falkirk semi final and yesterday), we've struggled. I know people will say we were the better side in both those games, but we lost both.

It's a results business and if he fails to get us promoted then he has not delivered the aim this season. I'm not for any minute suggesting that his position should be under threat, but he would need to get us promoted next season without fail.

07BigD
21-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Dje dje?

Smartie
21-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Dje dje?

I've seen him a couple of times and I'm not convinced he's any quicker than Cummings or Malonga.

He definitely deserved a run out last night. Has he had any chances since coming on and playing that superb pass in for Farid in the derby?

Boyle is really quick and offers us something totally different.

To be honest I was actually really impressed with how quick Malonga looked last night - he can really shift when he wants to. He has a clever change of pace and direction about him - that's what we need more of if we're to get anything on Saturday.