PDA

View Full Version : Did we really expect anything else?

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Another big game, another crashed bottle. Why I even bother to get excited about the "big" games, God only knows. My heart says that an early goal will get us back in the tie but my head says that rangers won't allow that to happen. Out of the big games Hibs have had in the past 10-15yrs, I reckon we have won about 5% of them.

Hamilton play off - bottled.
Falkirk semi final - bottled.
Cup final vs hearts - bottled
Cup semi final vs hearts - bottled.
Dundee United sc semi final - bottled.
Dunfermline sc semi final - bottled.
You get the gist. The media are right, we absolutely cack it when the pressure is on. More the fool us for getting excited about these matches only to be punched in the gut time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
20-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Another big game, another crashed bottle. Why I even bother to get excited about the "big" games, God only knows. My heart says that an early goal will get us back in the tie but my head says that rangers won't allow that to happen. Out of the big games Hibs have had in the past 10-15yrs, I reckon we have won about 5% of them.

You get the gist. The media are right, we absolutely cack it when the pressure is on. More the fool us for getting excited about these matches only to be punched in the gut time and time again.

Pwoud, so proud........you must be

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Nah mate, not really. Used to be. Now we are just a laughing stock.

CB_NO3
20-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Its called football.

Scottie

Here another yin quick to put the boot in. :rolleyes:

Last Minute

Well done mate. Your just like the media. Keep putting us down.

erskine-hibby
20-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Some absolutely bottled it. I name Cummings, Malonga, Allan and Stubbs.

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Its called football.

Aw is it aye? Bugger, Here's me thinking I was watching rugby tonight. Might as well have been with the amount of shots flying over the bar.

Alfred E Newman
20-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Nah mate, not really. Used to be. Now we are just a laughing stock.

2-0 down at half time and a laughing stock? Get a grip of yourself.

magnificent_seven
Some absolutely bottled it. I name Cummings, Malonga, Allan and Stubbs.

Agreed.

bingo70
The op is getting a pretty unfair doing here imo.

I'm absolutely sick of losing big games, when they really matter, surely to God we're due a big win when it matters.

Hibernia&Alba
20-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Perhaps I never learn, but I really did think we'd win tonight. I thought Rangers wouldn't deal with the pressure and we'd nick it. Another big game fail, but we aren't beaten yet.

magnificent_seven
2-0 down at half time and a laughing stock? Get a grip of yourself.

The club is a laughing stock. Pishing ourselves laughing at hearts demise last season and then going down ourselves. The gift that keeps on giving to our rivals.

erskine-hibby
I did.

Steve20
20-05-2015, 09:15 PM
If it was a one off I could understand why the OP is getting slated. But it's almost every match that matters we lose. That's why people call us bottlers because that's what the results show.

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:15 PM
The op is getting a pretty unfair doing here imo.

I'm absolutely sick of losing big games, when they really matter, surely to God we're due a big win when it matters.

Thanks. Nice to see that I'm not the only one looking at this through green and white tinted specs.

Salt N Sauzee
20-05-2015, 09:16 PM

spot on.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I know we have Crabbies as a sponsor but what is with all this 'bottler' speak?

People need to get a grip.

Since90+2

This is so full of ***** I cant actually even be bothered to point it out. You will figure it out eventually (maybe).

Hibernia&Alba
spot on

let the torrent of tears and snotters flow....

Hmmm...........

marinello59
20-05-2015, 09:18 PM
spot on.

Of course you agree. You said practically the same thing on your own lkcking the crap out of your 'own' team thread.

Gatecrasher
20-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Are we just going to ignore all the big games we won during that period?

Smartie
20-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Being edged out in a tight game of football isn't bottling it.

Giving up on your team and pissing and moaning halfway through a tie is though.

"Keep the faith" as they say.

whereswallace?
I wouldn't even say we "bottled" it tonight, we played well first half then lost a bad goal defensively and then again second half Miller reacts while we are watching the ball and not what's going on around us.

We lost because we were poor going forward and I believe we could and should be defending those goals much better but I think saying we bottled it is a bit of an overreaction.

We are more than capable of getting right back into this tie on Saturday and we have to believe we can.

magnificent_seven
I know we have Crabbies as a sponsor but what is with all this 'bottler' speak?

People need to get a grip.

See above at the 6 matches that I have quoted. There probably is more to be honest. These are 6 matches from the last 10 years. How many big, important games have we actually won in that time?

DH1875
Don't know about bottle. I think that we must be one of the most unlucky football clubs in the world.

Salt N Sauzee
20-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Of course you agree. You said practically the same thing on your own lkcking the crap out of your 'own' team thread.

I cant be the only one who's tired of never seeing us produce a result when it matters?

HibsNutter
20-05-2015, 09:21 PM
This is part of the problem, the expectation that something bad is going to happen.

bingo70
20-05-2015, 09:21 PM

Without wanting to sound like a dick there haven't been.that many big games we've won when it really mattered during that time.

Aberdeen abd falkirk semi's are about all I can think of, a few Derby wins and results against rangers but all at fairly insignificant points in the season.

marinello59
20-05-2015, 09:22 PM
See above at the 6 matches that I have quoted. There probably is more to be honest. These are 6 matches from the last 10 years. How many big, important games have we actually won in that time?

We didn't bottle it on all six of those matches. Last year against Hilton, yes. The rest of them wee lost for other reasons. Go get a job with the Beeb.

khib70
20-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Absolute garbage. They took their chances, we didn't. All this hand-wringing guff about "bottle" is tiresome and poointless. We competed well enough for most of the game and nobody, even the totally ineffective Jason Cummings, could be accused of not trying. There's a long way to go yet, and a job to do on Saturday, when the attitude of you and your ilk will be of no help whatsoever. Maybe a wee shopping trip would be better for you, and for us.

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:23 PM

I know we are more than capable. It's this blind faith that has kept me supporting the club since I was 4 years old. There's nothing wrong with a vent and a moan. Doesn't make me any less of a supporter than anyone on here. The two biggest games of our season have been in the last month and our performances have been poor without a goal scored.

Nevi_SOL
20-05-2015, 09:24 PM

You've failed to mention the times we haven't bottled it.

JimBHibees
20-05-2015, 09:25 PM

Kok

Since90+2
20-05-2015, 09:25 PM
I know we are more than capable. It's this blind faith that has kept me supporting the club since I was 4 years old. There's nothing wrong with a vent and a moan. Doesn't make me any less of a supporter than anyone on here. The two biggest games of our season have been in the last month and our performances have been poor without a goal scored.

You sound like you have given up on the tie already , by the sounds of if you have bottled it yourself.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Listen, up until the last 2 games, we've completely walked over Rangers this season. When did the media mention their 'bottle'? Media are right? My bahookie they are...they are biased. How many Rangers fans buy their rags? Lots. What do they write? What sells papers. Rangers being a 'big' team got beat to 2nd and were miles behind 1st in a league they were favourites for, 'bottle'? No, Rangers won't be criticised for that. Did Rangers win the Petrofac cup? Nah, Alloa beat them. Bottle merchants media, anyone? No, they aren't Hibs so can't be 'bottlers'.

People need to waken up if they trust the media to be the source of their information and it is a sad day for society for people to blindly believe what 1 person has written or said. Look at wider picture. If Hibs are 'bottlers' so are most teams if you look at it objectively. Our ones are simply more publicised. Fans of other clubs in Scotland enjoy reading about our demise.

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Kok

Ah, thanks so much for your input there. Absolutely overjoyed at the abuse that I am getting for stating an opinion. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

Gatecrasher
20-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Without wanting to sound like a dick there haven't been.that many big games we've won when it really mattered during that time.

Aberdeen abd falkirk semi's are about all I can think of, a few Derby wins and results against rangers but all at fairly insignificant points in the season.
Ok so if we are taking it from the 06/07 season

LC QF v hearts
LC final v killie
SC SF v Aberdeen
SC QF v killie
SC SF v Falkirk
Win v hearts in capacity filled ground

SunshineOnLeith
20-05-2015, 09:29 PM

The Hearts semi final was 9 years ago.
The Dundee Utd semi was 10 years ago.
The Dunfermline semi was 8 years ago.

How about we stop weighing down the current squad with the weight of previous encumbents' failures?

Smartie
20-05-2015, 09:31 PM

I thought we did well to win our last 5 matches (all big matches) to pip Rangers to 2nd.

You can't selectively erase the big games we have won.

Your first sentence in the post above is the most important. We're all frustrated but that is the fact that counts. Forget any talk of bottles crashing - until Saturday at least.

carnoustiehibee
20-05-2015, 09:32 PM

What games were bigger then those games?

Ronster117
20-05-2015, 09:32 PM
:top marks
Absolute garbage. They took their chances, we didn't. All this hand-wringing guff about "bottle" is tiresome and poointless. We competed well enough for most of the game and nobody, even the totally ineffective Jason Cummings, could be accused of not trying. There's a long way to go yet, and a job to do on Saturday, when the attitude of you and your ilk will be of no help whatsoever. Maybe a wee shopping trip would be better for you, and for us.

Lee Marvin
20-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Sitting in a ******g traffic jam right outside ibrox and can't help but agree with original post. Seems like every time I travel, we get pumped! But but, we played well abd deserved more. Bollocks. It can't be bad luck this often.

Stubbs lost it tonight imo. No tactics. Too many touches on ball, too slow in possession, no plan b. Had all the ball in 2nd half and Didnt look like scoring.

Far too many times this happens when it truely matters.

Tin hat on.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 09:37 PM
The Hearts semi final was 9 years ago.
The Dundee Utd semi was 10 years ago.
The Dunfermline semi was 8 years ago.

How about we stop weighing down the current squad with the weight of previous encumbents' failures?

100%, some Hibs fans seemed to want to go all the way back to 1902 to point out failures of club. I understand the pain but if this was a relationship, it would be one hell of a broken one and I'd suggest the couple got some help. You cannot keep looking back and having a chip on your shoulder. Gets you nowhere and it will certainly get the club nowhere. We lost a game, the players tried their hardest but failed on this occasion, doesn't mean they bottled anything. If you lose at fives for a few weeks running and next weeks game is hyped up as some form of comeback but you lose again does that mean you bottled it?

Anybody wondered why there are so many qualified psychiatrists working as pundits and support teams in Scotland? Seem to be able to, without any proper testing, diagnose a mental condition affecting an entire team...no an entire club...not just recently but for 10s of years. Look forward, not backwards.

madabouthibs
20-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Bottled it my erchy, we played better tonight but had nowt up top. We'll beat them on Saturday, an early goal will have have them twitching and we will dominate the game. One goal will change this tie, we need to keep the faith ffs!!!

Ronster117
Kok
The only thing I have to say about your post is .....was the current squad involved in any of those games, was the current management team involved in any of those games was LD involved in any of those games.....I suggest they weren't.... Get behind the team we can still turn this result around

Alfred E Newman
I have found over the years that the people that call other individuals in whatever sport you care to mention, " bottle merchants" , tend to be loudmouths who have never been in that position themselves and never ever likely to be.

Aldoo
20-05-2015, 09:41 PM
This is so full of ***** I cant actually even be bothered to point it out. You will figure it out eventually (maybe).

I think that's a tad harsh on the op.

Our win/loss ratio in the big games at business end of the season is poor and has been for a long time.

What's the value in those early season wins against rangers then when it comes to crunch time and it really matters regardless of performance they find a way to win and we don't.

I know for one id swap all those pumpings we gave them early on for two ruthless victories when it really counted in May.

marinello59
20-05-2015, 09:41 PM
I have found over the years that the people that call other individuals in whatever sport you care to mention, " bottle merchants" , tend to be loudmouths who have never been in that position themselves and never ever likely to be.

:top marks

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:42 PM
100%, some Hibs fans seemed to want to go all the way back to 1902 to point out failures of club. I understand the pain but if this was a relationship, it would be one hell of a broken one and I'd suggest the couple got some help. You cannot keep looking back and having a chip on your shoulder. Gets you nowhere and it will certainly get the club nowhere. We lost a game, the players tried their hardest but failed on this occasion, doesn't mean they bottled anything. If you lose at fives for a few weeks running and next weeks game is hyped up as some form of comeback but you lose again does that mean you bottled it?

Anybody wondered why there are so many qualified psychiatrists working as pundits and support teams in Scotland? Seem to be able to, without any proper testing, diagnose a mental condition affecting an entire team...no an entire club...not just recently but for 10s of years. Look forward, not backwards.

I did mention in my post that I was talking about the last 10-15 years, not going back to 1902.

magnificent_seven
20-05-2015, 09:45 PM

I am in no way a loudmouth. Don't think I have ever been tagged as that. And no, I have never been in a position to play professional football and at the age of 28, I think my time may have passed. If you are talking about bottling things in general or in my line of work, I can't remember of a time that I have to be honest. So your findings seem to be a little wide of the mark on this occasion.

inglisavhibs
20-05-2015, 09:46 PM

You are ignoring the fact that in many of these games the other team had far better players than us. When we beat Aberdeen in the semi final and Killie in the final I assume you think they bottled it. We were 9/4 Against tonight. It was always going to be hard tonight and unfortunately a bit of niaive defending gave Rangers the crucial first goal. It was hardly a great surprise that Rangers won though.

Biggie
20-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Bedwetter alert !
😃 sorry mate haven't seen this for a while........afraid this is life as a hibby.....wait til you get to my age, then you will be immune to the depths of despair suffered, and take it in your stride.

If the Rangers get past us, I hope they go on and win promotion as I don't fancy slugging it out with them again next season.

Mango Man
20-05-2015, 09:52 PM
What is the best word that sums up Hibs recent history in must win matches?

When it REEEAAALLY comes down to the nitty gritty, 8 times out of 10 we will fail, which is terrible for a club our size playing in Scotland. Have we not pretty much always been like that? I mean we had the Famous Five and still couldn't win the Scottish Cup!! what's that all about?!

I'm liking the noises coming out of Easter Rd at the moment, change is clearly happening, just can't shake this cloud that's been hanging over us for far too long.

What a team.

Ricky Bobby
20-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Listen, up until the last 2 games, we've completely walked over Rangers this season. When did the media mention their 'bottle'? Media are right? My bahookie they are...they are biased. How many Rangers fans buy their rags? Lots. What do they write? What sells papers. Rangers being a 'big' team got beat to 2nd and were miles behind 1st in a league they were favourites for, 'bottle'? No, Rangers won't be criticised for that. Did Rangers win the Petrofac cup? Nah, Alloa beat them. Bottle merchants media, anyone? No, they aren't Hibs so can't be 'bottlers'.

People need to waken up if they trust the media to be the source of their information and it is a sad day for society for people to blindly believe what 1 person has written or said. Look at wider picture. If Hibs are 'bottlers' so are most teams if you look at it objectively. Our ones are simply more publicised. Fans of other clubs in Scotland enjoy reading about our demise.

I dont think fans of other clubs (apart from the Yams) could give a toss about our results. But if you dont think that when an important game comes up the opposition manager is not telling his players that we are as soft as s****, you are kidding yourself.

hibs4life
20-05-2015, 09:57 PM
This 'bottle' issue ascribed to the current team seems like a media invention. There are many clubs, I'm sure, that get close to success and don't quite achieve. Are we saying that losing at football is all down to bottle?
I saw no evidence of bottling it tonight. Perhaps some players could have performed better but I didn't see any shirking, hiding or unwillingness to get on the ball.

You could rightly accuse players of bottling it at last year's playoff v Hamilton at Easter Road. They were perhaps shorn of confidence by the then management regime, their tactics and mismanagement and that could rightly be classified as a performance without bottle.

I've seen most of the games home and away this season and I don't think Stubbs' team can be accused of being bottlers. Sub par sometimes but not bottlers.

Some folks on here are believing those easy media strap lines and letting their natural disappointment convince them that a defeat always means that we've bottled it. It doesn't and this current team doesn't deserve to be saddled with the reputation of some awful previous Hibs teams who probably did have confidence, and therfore also, 'bottle' issues.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 09:58 PM
I did mention in my post that I was talking about the last 10-15 years, not going back to 1902.

10-15 years? How many big games do you think you've conveniently missed out over the last 10-15 years that were positive results? Bad results stay in the mind more if the pain was caused on a big occasion. Even I can't recall most of the positive results in the last 10-15 years but then again the ones you've listed as bad results I didn't remember either, and you know what, I'm glad. You know why, I'm in my 20s now and if I could recall every result going back to when I was a wee lad I'd be slightly concerned I didn't use my brain power to help mankind rather than win quizzes at the pub. Especially quizzes on when Hibs have failed on the big stage.

This cloud over people's head must move because there is an aura around ER at big games where you can clearly tell quite a few fans are thinking "this again". What again? Tomorrow is a new day. Really tires me that people keep thinking back. History can't be changed...

Put it this way, if we're expecting players to get a result on Saturday, surely we should turn up thinking "we're going to win, we'll thrash then 4-0 like before", not contemplating whether or not to get a ticket or whether to stand in the crowd thinking "we'll lose again"? Players bottle it but fans don't do they?

emerald green
20-05-2015, 09:59 PM
All this stuff about "bottling it" is maybe just missing the point, and is the wrong way of saying that a team (Hibs, since we are posting about them) was simply not good enough on the day and lost.

There might have been the odd time when "bottling it" was fair criticism, but not all the time surely? Sometimes the opposition are just better than you.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 09:59 PM
I dont think fans of other clubs (apart from the Yams) could give a toss about our results. But if you dont think that when an important game comes up the opposition manager is not telling his players that we are as soft as s****, you are kidding yourself.

And why shouldn't the opposition manager be saying that, some Hibs fans are saying that aren't they? He may as well join the party.

Ricky Bobby
20-05-2015, 10:04 PM
And why shouldn't the opposition manager be saying that, some Hibs fans are saying that aren't they? He may as well join the party.

It has nothing to do with the fans,we still turn up in good numbers rain or shine, the players are the only ones who can put this bottle rubbish to bed.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 10:15 PM
It has nothing to do with the fans,we still turn up in good numbers rain or shine, the players are the only ones who can put this bottle rubbish to bed.

Nothing to do with the fans? Are you trying to tell me you didn't feel the negativity in the stands after the start Hamilton had in the return leg of last season's play-off. Strangers turning up at ER for the first game of that season stating "this again" as it went to extra-time...

Players win matches but if you think fans have no affect...well, tell that to those that were in the "Family Stand" tonight. Good amount of time-wasting and throwing objects to put off opposition. Guess that might help the players, no?

As I stated at the end of last season, club was rotten to core. I feel club are trying to change but fans are struggling to let go off what has been.

Ricky Bobby
20-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Nothing to do with the fans? Are you trying to tell me you didn't feel the negativity in the stands after the start Hamilton had in the return leg of last season's play-off. Strangers turning up at ER for the first game of that season stating "this again" as it went to extra-time...

Players win matches but if you think fans have no affect...well, tell that to those that were in the "Family Stand" tonight. Good amount of time-wasting and throwing objects to put off opposition. Guess that might help the players, no?

As I stated at the end of last season, club was rotten to core. I feel club are trying to change but fans are struggling to let go off what has been.

You can ask the fans to 'happy clap' all you want but we are paying top dollar for a team that is improving but still managing to under achieve. This is one of the worst Rangers teams we have ever faced. Fact. the same team that we walked over at Easter Road only a few months ago, but when push comes to shove what happens? I will say again the same Rangers team we pumped a few moths ago.

Big_Franck
20-05-2015, 10:30 PM

Agree 100%. You can play quite well and lose a game of football, something that seems to be lost to some on here at times.

IMO we didn't deserve to lose the game tonight but in a tight game they took a couple of the half chances that they got and we didn't take ours. It happens. No need to lose the plot.

Those that are using the word bottle obviously have no bottle for a fight themselves. You seem to have given up the tie already.

If you think we have no chance of progressing then don't bother turning up on Saturday, we don't need your negativity in the stands anyway. With the unconditional support of the 8-10k regulars on Saturday we can do these cants.

God Petrie
20-05-2015, 10:31 PM
It's not over.

Ronniekirk
20-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I expected us not to get beat or at worst lose 1. 0 but what you expect and what you get with Hibs is what happened tonight .we should not of gone in behind at half time All we had to do was keep possession which we had done well for large parts of the first half and looked comfortable on the ball .inexcusable They scored with their first real attempt if I am not mistaken

Ronniekirk
20-05-2015, 10:38 PM
It's not over.
But we have a mountain to climb when it could of been so different .

madhatter
20-05-2015, 10:38 PM
You can ask the fans to 'happy clap' all you want but we are paying top dollar for a team that is improving but still managing to under achieve. This is one of the worst Rangers teams we have ever faced. Fact. the same team that we walked over at Easter Road only a few months ago, but when push comes to shove what happens? I will say again the same Rangers team we pumped a few moths ago.

If you think this Rangers team in terms of organisation, fitness, and general play are on par with the ones we 'pumped' a few months ago then I cannot fathom what you have been watching. Ally McCoist was never a coach, his gardening leave fill-in was never a coach.

I do agree this is probably the worst Rangers I've seen but then again last year was one of the worst Hibs teams I've ever seen. You cannot win every game, we lost the last game at ER against them but what happened when push came to shove? We clinched 2nd place from them by getting the correct results at crunch time. Football is like this and if you think you are paying top dollar, I'd suggest you get in touch with Arsenal fans to see how happy they are. How happy Real Madrid fans are that they pay through the nose for tickets, shirts, everything and their club gets beneficial treatment from Spanish government and still their club have done nothing of merit this season and oh, their main rivals have won BBVA title and could win Champions League. Football is like this. People are happy to pay "top dollar" for Sky Sports but don't directly support any team they watch play. Some people pay that price and want to watch the tennis so I'm afraid there is and always will be fans of many sports worse off than we are.

kaimendhibs
20-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Well done mate. Your just like the media. Keep putting us down.

Congrats pal. Thanks for pointing it all out. Different teams etc and it's only half time

God Petrie
20-05-2015, 10:41 PM
But we have a mountain to climb when it could of been so different .

Could have been. Isn't. Deal with it as it is and try and resolve it. We can beat these ****bags and it wouldn't even take a particularly amazing comeback.

Andy74
20-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Thought we did okay. Cummings was pretty poor though and Gray is about half fit.

Let's not forget they are a team with a far bigger budget and played with a big noisy support tonight.

We didn't bottle it. In fact guys like Oxley and Allan did well under missile attack!

I would have changed a striker at the end but we were playing quite well at the end so I can see why he didn't.

Didn't seem much injury time tonight compared to usual Ibrox games when they aren't winning? Didn't see a board mind you.

That Newcastle guy however you spell it has single handedly changed their season. Wee touch of class tonight to make the goal.

Ricky Bobby
20-05-2015, 10:45 PM
If you think this Rangers team in terms of organisation, fitness, and general play are on par with the ones we 'pumped' a few months ago then I cannot fathom what you have been watching. Ally McCoist was never a coach, his gardening leave fill-in was never a coach.

I do agree this is probably the worst Rangers I've seen but then again last year was one of the worst Hibs teams I've ever seen. You cannot win every game, we lost the last game at ER against them but what happened when push came to shove? We clinched 2nd place from them by getting the correct results at crunch time. Football is like this and if you think you are paying top dollar, I'd suggest you get in touch with Arsenal fans to see how happy they are. How happy Real Madrid fans are that they pay through the nose for tickets, shirts, everything and their club gets beneficial treatment from Spanish government and still their club have done nothing of merit this season and oh, their main rivals have won BBVA title and could win Champions League. Football is like this. People are happy to pay "top dollar" for Sky Sports but don't directly support any team they watch play. Some people pay that price and want to watch the tennis so I'm afraid there is and always will be fans of many sports worse off than we are.

Finishing 2nd was not an important acheivement, getting into the Premier league is.
In the terms of Scottish football we are paying top dollar.

Ronniekirk
20-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Could have been. Isn't. Deal with it as it is and try and resolve it. We can beat these ****bags and it wouldn't even take a particularly amazing comeback.
It's hibs players and management that need to deal with it I will be on holiday and probably won't even see the second game ,but hope they can turn it around

madhatter
20-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Finishing 2nd was not an important acheivement, getting into the Premier league is.
In the terms of Scottish football we are paying top dollar.

Finishing 2nd could have, and could yet come to be an important achievement. If we turn this tie around and get into the Premier League, avoiding tie against QoS who are tricky opposition could have been vital. If we go back up to Premier League but come straight back down then an important achievement becomes but a step on a path to failure. People seem to get caught up in the semantics of things. C'est la vie is what I think.

We all pay top dollar for things that may not meet our expectations. £10 to go see a film at the cinema, could be garbage. £6.99 a month for subscribing to Netflix and the likes but they may not have the shows we want when we want or our broadband could go down when we least expect it. £30 for Sky Sports subscription per month in which you may not watch any sport. Really what are we discussing now? Andy Murray should win Wimbledon because he has more money through better sponsors? We pay the price of a big club that is sadly suffering a poor period at the moment. Would you prefer we paid less, had terrible players and made a nice home for ourselves in the Championship?

We got relegated at the worst time with the worst squad possible. Never has the Championship or First Division had such a competition in a long time.

Hibeesmad
20-05-2015, 11:24 PM
We didn't take our chances tonight, we had 80% possession but possession does not win you games. Yes we have proved that we can keep the ball and pass it about, what we need to do now is turn that possession into shots on target and goals. We are better than them, we have already proved that this season pumping them 4-0 along with the 3-1 and 2-0 wins, aswell as finishing above them in the league with much lower wage budget etc. we need to go out and attack them, 3-5-2, defence stays strong and the rest press the goal its that simple. Early goal needed, if we get an early goal or the first goal they will panick. We can do this, it's not over yet. Next goal is crucial.

Andy74
20-05-2015, 11:26 PM
We didn't take our chances tonight, we had 80% possession but possession does not win you games. Yes we have proved that we can keep the ball and pass it about, what we need to do now is turn that possession into shots on target and goals. We are better than them, we have already proved that this season pumping them 4-0 along with the 3-1 and 2-0 wins, aswell as finishing above them in the league with much lower wage budget etc. we need to go out and attack them, 3-5-2, defence stays strong and the rest press the goal its that simple. Early goal needed, if we get an early goal or the first goal they will panick. We can do this, it's not over yet. Next goal is crucial.
I don't think we have a third defender unless you risk Gray in there.

The formation tonight did give us the better of the game so it's a tricky one.

Ricky Bobby
20-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Finishing 2nd could have, and could yet come to be an important achievement. If we turn this tie around and get into the Premier League, avoiding tie against QoS who are tricky opposition could have been vital. If we go back up to Premier League but come straight back down then an important achievement becomes but a step on a path to failure. People seem to get caught up in the semantics of things. C'est la vie is what I think.

We all pay top dollar for things that may not meet our expectations. £10 to go see a film at the cinema, could be garbage. £6.99 a month for subscribing to Netflix and the likes but they may not have the shows we want when we want or our broadband could go down when we least expect it. £30 for Sky Sports subscription per month in which you may not watch any sport. Really what are we discussing now? Andy Murray should win Wimbledon because he has more money through better sponsors? We pay the price of a big club that is sadly suffering a poor period at the moment. Would you prefer we paid less, had terrible players and made a nice home for ourselves in the Championship?

We got relegated at the worst time with the worst squad possible. Never has the Championship or First Division had such a competition in a long time.

What i am saying is that when you pay top price for something ,with that comes some expectations. No one has said we must win every game. We have played three crucial games this season, League cup v United, played well lost on penalties. Scottish cup v Falkirk, played decent and lost. Play off semi v Rangers decent and lost, there seems to be a re occuring theme here.
Lets hope we can turn things around in the 2nd leg.
If we are not playing Motherwell in the play off final the fact is Scottish football as a whole will see our club as bottlers whether we agree or not.

Hibeesmad
20-05-2015, 11:35 PM
I don't think we have a third defender unless you risk Gray in there.

The formation tonight did give us the better of the game so it's a tricky one.

Hopefully Forster or Watson will be back, you could see how much we missed Boyle tonight

madhatter
20-05-2015, 11:38 PM
What i am saying is that when you pay top price for something ,with that comes some expectations. No one has said we must win every game. We have played three crucial games this season, League cup v United, played well lost on penalties. Scottish cup v Falkirk, played decent and lost. Play off semi v Rangers decent and lost, there seems to be a re occuring theme here.
Lets hope we can turn things around in the 2nd leg.
If we are not playing Motherwell in the play off final the fact is Scottish football as a whole will see our club as bottlers whether we agree or not.

The whole of Scottish Football can see our club as anything they like. I couldn't care less. From an establishment that ignores sectarian chants and the like, I have to admit I don't have much time for the opinions of the media here who do not cover such stories with such vim as other less pressing stories of our supposed 'bottler' ways. I'm too tired to argue now.
News tomorrow won't be about objects thrown at Hibs players and poor policing and stewardship, it will be about Hibs the 'bottlers'. Read all about it or wipe your bahookie with it, difficult choice really.

SlickShoes
20-05-2015, 11:40 PM

2-1 up with seconds to go, the whole stadium was singing and supporting the team, we had weathered the storm. Still managed to concede a horrific goal though, or did we stay up because of those positive fans?

Ricky Bobby
20-05-2015, 11:45 PM
The whole of Scottish Football can see our club as anything they like. I couldn't care less. From an establishment that ignores sectarian chants and the like, I have to admit I don't have much time for the opinions of the media here who do not cover such stories with such vim as other less pressing stories of our supposed 'bottler' ways. I'm too tired to argue now.
News tomorrow won't be about objects thrown at Hibs players and poor policing and stewardship, it will be about Hibs the 'bottlers'. Read all about it or wipe your bahookie with it, difficult choice really.

I could not care what everyone else thinks either but the problem is ,do the players read the papers and care what everyone else thinks. We have a very promising squad, we just lack some mental toughness IMO.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2015, 11:46 PM
It's going to be a tough ask to go through after the result last night but it's still achievable.

They've won their home leg, if we can do the same by at least the same scoreline then the worst we'll get is extra time.

Winning 2-0 at home against an average Sevco side should not be beyond us.

The problem we'll have is that we'll need to commit men forward from the first whistle and Sevco can just sit back and defend and hit us on the counter attack and if they get an early goal themselves then it will be all but over.

We need to learn how to put the ball in the back of the net when it really matters. If we can't manage that then we're going to go very far.

madhatter
20-05-2015, 11:47 PM
2-1 up with seconds to go, the whole stadium was singing and supporting the team, we had weathered the storm. Still managed to concede a horrific goal though, or did we stay up because of those positive fans?

I wasn't singing, don't have a great voice myself and many around me weren't also, so "whole stadium was singing" is untrue. In my section alone, we had people ranting and saying "come on, not again" which was swiftly followed up by "one game I turn up, and this is what happens..." as the penalties commenced.

Only time I can fully recall a stressful stadium becoming a very vocal vibrant stadium was against Dunfermline when we could have been relegated a few years back. I guess it helped it was against Jefferies (not the comedian).

Hibeesmad
20-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Only positive I can take from tonight is that the players didn't look like a team who had given up at the end of the game, they looked like a team ready to go again and knew what needs to be done

familyman
21-05-2015, 07:54 AM

WHAT this team needs and has always needed for many years now is an effective leader on the park, a captain who can encourage ,drive, be vocal,not get embroiled in the rubbish and back chat and set an example..then the bottle will finally return..John Hughes type player.

Fergos
21-05-2015, 08:01 AM
WHAT this team needs and has always needed for many years now is an effective leader on the park, a captain who can encourage ,drive, be vocal,not get embroiled in the rubbish and back chat and set an example..then the bottle will finally return..John Hughes type player.

Agree.

Stubbs and his team have transformed us this year from what he took over. Would love to see him sign this type of player to sit in front of the defence, someone with the ability to turn the tide so to speak when needed. A Yogi type certainly......characters like this can be vital on nights like last night.

It's not over yet though.....I've got my tickets and can't wait. We score first which is essential as I'm sure we all agree and the tie is on - big style.

Get a ticket & support your team.

GGTTH.

Kato
21-05-2015, 08:09 AM
I am in no way a loudmouth. Don't think I have ever been tagged as that.

You have now.

magnificent_seven
21-05-2015, 08:31 AM
You have now.

For having a bit of a moan on an online discussion board?!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/c26726e1501deabb71609dadd339bf78.jpg

07BigD
21-05-2015, 09:00 AM
It was hard to take last night, I don't think there was a two goal difference between the sides in all honesty.

I just hope everyone that turns up on Saturday backs the team to the hilt, all we need is to get into the lead and we are right back in it, no one can tell me this Rangers team is too good to lose to us.

Ricky Bobby
21-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Agree.

Stubbs and his team have transformed us this year from what he took over. Would love to see him sign this type of player to sit in front of the defence, someone with the ability to turn the tide so to speak when needed. A Yogi type certainly......characters like this can be vital on nights like last night.

It's not over yet though.....I've got my tickets and can't wait. We score first which is essential as I'm sure we all agree and the tie is on - big style.

Get a ticket & support your team.

GGTTH.

Good post

Bad Martini
21-05-2015, 10:07 AM
We didn't bottle it. Our forwards were ***** and we made mistakes, particularly that first goal.

We didn't hide or fail to try. We were not good enough. Doesn't make us bottlers. Why would we fear the huns having skelped them more times than they had skelped us?

Eganov
21-05-2015, 10:08 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27464416

...we know more than most teams how quickly the tables can turn. Compare how you felt this time last season to this time this season... it's just the beginning!

Greencore
21-05-2015, 10:12 AM

You forgot Livingston cis cup.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2015, 10:29 AM
We were lacking in the final 3rd, yes, but bottled it, no........

Some folk love to stick the boot in....

Mikey09
21-05-2015, 10:43 AM
We were lacking in the final 3rd, yes, but bottled it, no........

Some folk love to stick the boot in....

Doom and gloom merchants.... Can't help themselves. Still got 90 mins to pull back a 2 goal deficit. Is that impossible?? Not for me. 1 goal for us and it's game on. Obviously that's far to much for some to comprehend....

Kato
21-05-2015, 10:44 AM
For having a bit of a moan on an online discussion board?!

Look like it.

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2015, 10:49 AM
What I expected was for Hibs to go to Ibrox play football on the deck and be the better team .... that's exactly what they did, not by a huge margin, but the better team all the same. No we didn't get the result we wanted, but to tar this team with the same brush as the likes of the one that got relegated is a massive over reaction in my opinion.

We were always going to be up against it to get out of this mutant Championship, with a Hearts team months ahead of us in preparation and a The Rangers team who could only be improved with the introduction of an experienced manager and that's exactly what they have done with McCall who had his previous club punching above its weight season after season. That is not to say that the season is a lost cause yet, that remains to be seen ... this is not a Hibs team incapable of turning things around on Saturday.

If folk want to point fingers and call the team bottlers .... do it after Saturdays game if we don't pull it back and after doing your best to support the players from the stands.

Mikey09
21-05-2015, 10:53 AM
What I expected was for Hibs to go to Ibrox play football on the deck and be the better team .... that's exactly what they did, not by a huge margin, but the better team all the same. No we didn't get the result we wanted, but to tar this team with the same brush as the likes of the one that got relegated is a massive over reaction in my opinion.

We were always going to be up against it to get out of this mutant Championship, with a Hearts team months ahead of us in preparation and a The Rangers team who could only be improved with the introduction of an experienced manager and that's exactly what they have done with McCall who had his previous club punching above its weight season after season. That is not to say that the season is a lost cause yet, that remains to be seen ... this is not a Hibs team incapable of turning things around on Saturday.

If folk want to point fingers and call the team bottlers .... do it after Saturdays game if we don't pull it back and after doing your best to support the players from the stands.

nah... They will then turn into the "Told you so brigade." Wallopers...

Nutmegged
21-05-2015, 11:00 AM
I understand the fans are hurting and thats fine, its also true that for one reason or another our club with the exception of the odd time fail on the biggest occassions but I feel the OP was just giving the fans one last boot in the balls last night, that felt like a "Get it up You" to the fans and that's what I didnt like about the Original Post

Bishop Hibee
21-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Even McCall saying they were fortunate to win 2-0. Poor finishing, poor defending for the goals and lack of pace and width cost us not lack of bottle whatever the hell that is.

marinello59
21-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Even McCall saying they were fortunate to win 2-0. Poor finishing, poor defending for the goals and lack of pace and width cost us not lack of bottle whatever the hell that is.

'Bottle' is a go to term for some to beat our own team with. Rather than analyse what actually happened, good and bad, they can dismiss everything as being down to the players being gutless. It's lazy thinking and it's wrong.

Kato
21-05-2015, 11:25 AM
'Bottle' is a go to term for some to beat our own team with. Rather than analyse what actually happened, good and bad, they can dismiss everything as being down to the players being gutless. It's lazy thinking and it's wrong.

I don't even think some understand what the term means.

Alfred E Newman
21-05-2015, 11:37 AM
I don't even think some understand what the term means.

You are right. Put most of them in a high stress situation and the brown stuff would be running down their leg. I remember a member at my golf club who struggles to break 100 round Peebles calling Tom Watson a bottler when he missed his putt to win the Open at Turnberry a couple of years ago.

hibbydog
21-05-2015, 12:32 PM
If you look at the last 10 years of semi-finals, finals and play offs. I can count 7 losses and 4 wins.

Dundee Utd Semi 2005 – lose
Hearts Semi 2006 – lose
St Johnstone CIS Semi 2007 – win
Killie CIS Final 2007 - win
Dunfermline Semi 2007 – lose
Aberdeen Semi 2012 – win
Hearts Final 2012 – lose
Falkirk Semi 2013 – win
Celtic Final 2013 – lose
Hamilton playoff 2014 – lose
Falkirk Semi 2015 - lose

Correct me if I’m wrong on the above. Only 1 is against the old firm and generally against teams we should really be capable of beating. I expect Hibs to do better than they did against what’s definitely the worst Rangers team in a lifetime. But the above record more or less supports the view that Hibs generally don’t do the business when it really matters.

basehibby
21-05-2015, 12:32 PM

Oh the irony! Half way through the tie and you are as good as bottling it coming out with pish like this - PATHETIC!

scottyd
21-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Well said mate :agree:

magnificent_seven
21-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Oh the irony! Half way through the tie and you are as good as bottling it coming out with pish like this - PATHETIC!

There's nothing ironic about my post whatsoever. Ironic would be saying that Hibs were going to bottle it before the tie even begun. The only thing pathetic is the general acceptance of a lot of people on this forum. Acceptance of mediocrity and the whole " ah well - keep the faith" attitude is pathetic to me. Too many perfect fans on here that get all high and mighty when somebody even dares to have a whinge or be negative. I am no less a Hibs fan than anyone on here, I pay money to watch the team and I have been let down a good number of times. Therefore I am entitled to my opinion. The level of abuse and personal insults thrown at me is laughable.

JimBHibees
21-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Agree totally.

Lago
21-05-2015, 12:50 PM
I really don't think they bottled as such, Hibs played some nice football, pretty passing moves but no end product. Their keeper was never troubled all game. The worry for me was that no one in the Hibs team seemed capable of changing the system. Also I don't think McCall gets the recognition he deserves he has transformed rangers since he came in and Stubbs, unfortunately, is still a young coach learning his trade.
I don't think we will get through and on that basis I would hope rangers get promotion because they will be a totally different outfit next season, much more money, new and better players which would leave facing anotherset of play off games.

basehibby
21-05-2015, 02:12 PM
There's nothing ironic about my post whatsoever. Ironic would be saying that Hibs were going to bottle it before the tie even begun. The only thing pathetic is the general acceptance of a lot of people on this forum. Acceptance of mediocrity and the whole " ah well - keep the faith" attitude is pathetic to me. Too many perfect fans on here that get all high and mighty when somebody even dares to have a whinge or be negative. I am no less a Hibs fan than anyone on here, I pay money to watch the team and I have been let down a good number of times. Therefore I am entitled to my opinion. The level of abuse and personal insults thrown at me is laughable.

So hope - genuine realistic hope - is pathetic now???

You are entitled to your opinion - lame and defeatist though it may be - but if you can't bear it being criticised then posting it on a public forum is a bad idea.

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2015, 02:13 PM

Who is accepting mediocrity? ..... It seems to me that there is root & branch change underway at Easter Road following years of mismanagement .. it will be a shame if that doesn't pay off this season, but that wont be a sign of acceptance of the mediocre any more.

I will say this ... If the answer to mediocrity is to withdraw support from the club then you are not fighting against it, you are guaranteeing it :aok:

Pete
21-05-2015, 02:16 PM

I'm sorry but you seem to equate losing with bottling. We didn't "bottle" half the games you mentioned.

If you think the "keep the faith" attitude is pathetic and is somehow accepting mediocrity (not heard that for a while) then you are in the wrong place. This is the default emotion for a football supporter and you should expect nothing less than the reaction you are getting because you are sounding like a pissed off customer.

We're all a bit deflated but we don't all feel the need to give a big "look at me" show of negative emotion. Have you ever thought that maybe nobody wants to hear it?

Fergos
21-05-2015, 02:19 PM

100%.

The supporters who talk about bottle....but lack the same bottle themselves....at half time....good craic that....!

GGTTH.

Pete
21-05-2015, 02:24 PM
If you look at the last 10 years of semi-finals, finals and play offs. I can count 7 losses and 4 wins.

Dundee Utd Semi 2005 – lose
Hearts Semi 2006 – lose
St Johnstone CIS Semi 2007 – win
Killie CIS Final 2007 - win
Dunfermline Semi 2007 – lose
Aberdeen Semi 2012 – win
Hearts Final 2012 – lose
Falkirk Semi 2013 – win
Celtic Final 2013 – lose
Hamilton playoff 2014 – lose
Falkirk Semi 2015 - lose

Correct me if I’m wrong on the above. Only 1 is against the old firm and generally against teams we should really be capable of beating. I expect Hibs to do better than they did against what’s definitely the worst Rangers team in a lifetime. But the above record more or less supports the view that Hibs generally don’t do the business when it really matters.

I really don't understand the point people are trying to make. It must therefore be the fans fault as we are the only common denominator.

Maybe we could start a list of big matches we have won.

Pete
21-05-2015, 02:25 PM

Well said. Agree about leaving it until after Saturday as nobody will be bothered listening. They can cry all they like but some of us recognise the progress that's been made

pennyhibee
21-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Bottled it my erchy, we played better tonight but had nowt up top. We'll beat them on Saturday, an early goal will have have them twitching and we will dominate the game. One goal will change this tie, we need to keep the faith ffs!!!

Agree with this Just quicken it up a bit and be alert at the back

Stranraer
21-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I can see the reasoning behind some of the doom and gloom but Sevco weren't particularly special it was us that messed up in the final third. I honestly think we can put two past them on Saturday.

Vini1875
21-05-2015, 02:46 PM
The bottle argument is a joke IMHO. From the above list there have been teams which were not at full strength, teams were the tactics were wrong, teams who punched well above their weight to get into the position and teams who were simply not that good.

Hearts haven't won the league since 1962 have they bottled it each year? Aberdeen have won it once in 20 years, have they bottled it each year. Dundee Utd have won the Scottish cup twice in their entire history Were they bottlers for the first 100 years.

Our team is not that great, simply because we can't afford to have better players. Hearts and the huns spent and then bumped millions in order to be in the position they are in. If we had spent £60M over the last few years I'm sure we would have won more.

I still think we can claw back two goals, not through bottle, but by skill and endeavour.

hibbydog
21-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I really don't understand the point people are trying to make. It must therefore be the fans fault as we are the only common denominator.

Maybe we could start a list of big matches we have won.

Didn't say anything about it being anyone's fault. I'm just trying to answer the point of the thread - what did we really expect?

If you put your emotions to one side and review the facts, it'll give you a more sober, realistic view on what to expect in big games. You could include derbies, games v the old firm etc but it won't change the facts that prove that Hibs generally don't do it when it matters.

That doesn't stop me wanting us to win, or hoping/ believing we'll win though

Cheers

magnificent_seven
23-05-2015, 01:52 PM
CRASH

Smartie
23-05-2015, 02:30 PM
It takes a really special kind of ******** to gloat when his own team gets beat.

Malthibby
23-05-2015, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=magnificent_seven;4380507]CRASH

:rolleyes:

magnificent_seven
23-05-2015, 02:36 PM
It takes a really special kind of ******** to gloat when his own team gets beat.

How am I gloating. I'm hurting just as much as you pal.

Smartie
23-05-2015, 02:55 PM
How am I gloating. I'm hurting just as much as you pal.

Digging up an old thread where you had claimed that our bottle had crashed. It is the peculiar type of "I told you so" that I just find a bit unnecessary at a time like this.

I'll let it go as you've acknowledged you're also hurting and this is no time for petty fighting amongst ourselves.

Oh, and I still don't think that this has anything to do with bottle crashing. Last year's mess - absolutely. It is about bottle when you have enough ability but not the spirit to see something through.

I think that unfortunately we have just found ourselves a wee bit short of quality at both ends of the park. Unfortunately we've not been good enough and it's as simple as that.

We need to dust ourselves down and get into a position where we have more than enough quality to do what it required of us. Because then it will only be a lack of "bottle" that can possibly stop us.

And then you can dig this thread up again.

magnificent_seven
23-05-2015, 11:24 PM
I'll never say I told you so. The whole thing is total *****. We have fallen short yet again in the big stage. They b....rds were there for the taking

magnificent_seven
23-05-2015, 11:24 PM
A few thousand beers have helped the pain tonight tho.