PDA

View Full Version : Never looked like scoring

thebausburst
20-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Front 2 were woefull and 13 corners zero shots on target says it all. Saturday badly needs an early Hibs goal to give the fans any belief, but you'd have to say its looks a forlorn task after tonight.

erskine-hibby
20-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Yup not good enough. Cummings and Malonga need to have a good look at themselves. So does Stubbs for not replacing them.

ronaldo7
20-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Front men were poor especially Jason, just not his night, although The Rangers know how to play us and kept the defence deep without the need to push forward. We only got the ball into the box from a couple of crosses without anyone getting on the end of them.

We missed Boyle tonight.

West hamBERNIAN
20-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Depending on farids fitness etc. He's not looked great lately either.

DH1875
20-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Thought Malonga done OK today. How JC lasted the 90 mins is beyond me though.

erskine-hibby
20-05-2015, 09:30 PM

Did he score?
Did he even hit the target??
It's all about opinions, but, for me, he was poor.

JJP
20-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Agree we didn't look like scoring tonight. Going into Saturday more in hope than expectation.

The Harp Awakes
20-05-2015, 09:32 PM

Inexplicable Cummings wasn't hooked. As well as being totally ineffective up front he could have cost us another goal as he kept on losing possession, particularly in the 2nd half.

essexhibee
20-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Harsh on Malonga imo. Ran, chased and harried all day and held the ball up well.

Cummings on the other hand was gantin.

Danderhall Hibs
20-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I though Malonga was decent. Worked hard which is usually the biggest criticism of him.

How Cummings made it past HT I'm not sure.

Bobo
20-05-2015, 10:06 PM
It was predictably another game where we failed to turn up for the big occasion and sadly underachieved against vastly inferior opponents by showing them far too much respect?!

A repeat of the last game at Easter Road, we lost a goal on half time and our front two were woeful. It's a mystery how they both stayed on the full 90 minutes? Our play in the final third was pish poor with little threat, 13 corners and not one attempt on target from any of them says it all. Throw in the customary defensive frailties and it's just another failure to add to the list of sub-standard performances this season.

It really is disappointing but typical Hibs, they showed very little belief and will spend another season, probably more, as a consequence in the 2nd tier of one of the poorest football associations in Europe 😟

The lack of ambition at our club, over the past decade, really has left us in a sorry state. It may be 12 months on from the embarrassment of relegation but our failure to get out of this diddy league will sadly have more devastating and far reaching effects on our club.

davym7062
20-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Cummings missed a sitter, differnet game if that goes in. its not done yet....................

Sir David Gray
20-05-2015, 11:29 PM
We're on the brink but it's still retrievable at 2-0. Any more than that last night and it would have been all over.

The problem we have is that we're too slow in going forward and too predictable in our attacks.

We need to go for it on Saturday which could leave ourselves open at the back. We're going out as things stand so we may as well attack from the beginning. An early goal from Sevco will probably kill us off but if we get the early goal then it's all to play for again.

kaimendhibs
20-05-2015, 11:31 PM
We have to go hell for leather sat for sure

S4uzee
20-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Cummings missed a sitter, differnet game if that goes in. its not done yet....................

Was it a bad miss? Couldn't make it out from where I was standing

Smartie
20-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Malonga's all-round play was absolutely magnificent imo. Held the ball up well, worked hard, showed bit of craft and skill to turn his man a couple of times - absolutely superb at times.

His header at the start of the 2nd half was a bad miss as was the one he put over the bar. So it was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but I thought he looked the most likely of all out players to do something, and tbh he'd probably be the second name on my team sheet for Saturday after Allan.

Scottie
20-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Was it a bad miss? Couldn't make it out from where I was standing
No the ball was a yard too quick or Cummings was a yard too slow :wink:

Imo he slightly misjudged the cracking ball over from Dom as he couldn't get his feet sorted out in time.

Raymond
20-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Malonga was our best player Tonight, how anyone can l say different is either daft or at the wind up, of course there is always the fact they know duck all about football

Andy74
20-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Malonga was our best player Tonight, how anyone can l say different is either daft or at the wind up, of course there is always the the fact they know duck all about football

Yeah can't believe he would be getting any stick. Class act. Could have done better with a couple of chances but overall was really good.

lord bunberry
21-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Malonga was our best player Tonight, how anyone can l say different is either daft or at the wind up, of course there is always the fact they know duck all about football
:agree: I thought he was our best player as well.

Pete
21-05-2015, 05:46 AM
We're going to have a lot more of the ball than what we had yesterday so the chances will come. They are defending a lead and will be tired while we will be desperate and will start getting into our groove after this holiday.

The more you knock at the door, the luckier you get and all it will take is one break of the ball or defensive mistake to get the belief.

We have the goals in us and this is Rangers we are playing, not (insert historic team that was fantastic defensively).

Keith_M
21-05-2015, 06:00 AM
There were a couple of times that Malonga and Cummings ran into the box only a few feet apart from each other.

They need to get their positioning sorted between the two of them.

hibsbollah
21-05-2015, 06:00 AM

:agree:

Some absolute pish on here about Malonga, not for the first time.

Matty_Jack04
21-05-2015, 06:09 AM
I'm not malongas biggest fan but he done well last night the problem was all his hard work was either fighting to win the ball back with his back to goal or too far up the pitch to cause any danger, sat is a huge ask now but even if we can manage to take it too e/t we need to come out the traps for the start and keep a high tempo to the game we also need the forwards to contribute much more I'd be tempted to go with 3 up front either one sitting behind the top two or 1 either side of the striker and bombard them with everything

Ronniekirk
21-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Malonga's all-round play was absolutely magnificent imo. Held the ball up well, worked hard, showed bit of craft and skill to turn his man a couple of times - absolutely superb at times.

His header at the start of the 2nd half was a bad miss as was the one he put over the bar. So it was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but I thought he looked the most likely of all out players to do something, and tbh he'd probably be the second name on my team sheet for Saturday after Allan.
Agree with this His work ethic was much better and link up play at times excellent But what we needed was a goal and at times he can still be frustrating in the box and telegraph his intention or not react quick enough and defenders get last second blocks in .

RIP
21-05-2015, 07:05 AM
Why Stubbs can't deliver variety from corners is beyond me. Butcher and Fenlon were as bad. All we have done is replace Craig's floaty pish with Allan's floaty pish.

Sylar
21-05-2015, 07:42 AM

Some absolute pish on here about Malonga, not for the first time.

He put in one hell of a shift: moved well, won the ball and held the ball up well up front. However, if I turn up for work, do a lot of good prep for the day but have no discernible output at the end of it all, I view it as a failure of a day. He had 3 great chances to put the ball in the net and spurned all 3 of them - he's paid as a striker and he only hit the target once tonight. He doesn't deserve singling out, as he was far from the worst player out there but he has to shoulder the same responsibility as the team as a whole.

McAllister made the point in commentary last night that front to back we play some excellent stuff but we looked absolutely toothless last night. Malonga is part of that equation. I honestly don't think we benefited from having so long off before this game because it's clear that clinical touch just wasn't there last night, which comes from repetition and confidence.

Steve20
21-05-2015, 07:46 AM
I'm not a big fan of Malonga but he did well last night. Was our best player. What i will question is why El Alagui wasn't brought in, when we were getting corner after corner. If Stubbs feels he's not ready to play then why bother having him on the bench?

ahibby
21-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Yep never looked like scoring and at times looked like we were still playing in the Spanish sunshine rather than the Scottish draft. To perhaps be expected considering the lack of real competitive matches recently, however, if I had the choice of playing twice rapid against QOS or train in Spain, I'd choose the latter. Anyway, it can still pay dividends. As the cliche goes 'the next goal is all important'. If Rangers get it the tie could be over. On the other hand if Hibs get one back in the first half, I am confident they can go on and win the game. Last nights game will have given them some of their sharpness back and the forwards will be looking to atone for the chances the messed up. Rangers won't want to go in to extra time and I can see that as a real possibility.

B.H.F.C
21-05-2015, 08:04 AM
As much as we didn't like scoring, our inability to keep a clean sheet when we aren't really under that much pressure is just as bad.

Albanian Hibs
21-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Malonga was our best player last night.

Golden Bear
21-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Why Stubbs can't deliver variety from corners is beyond me. Butcher and Fenlon were as bad. All we have done is replace Craig's floaty pish with Allan's floaty pish.

That's probably not meant to be funny, but it is.

:tee hee:

hibee_girl
21-05-2015, 08:33 AM

I thought I was hallucinating at one point when I saw him defending a corner :greengrin

jacomo
21-05-2015, 09:04 AM
There were a couple of times that Malonga and Cummings ran into the box only a few feet apart from each other.

They need to get their positioning sorted between the two of them.

Do you think that was because it wasn't happening for Cummings and so Malonga was pushing on more? Normally the big guy's positioning is good.

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Apart from our lack of punch in the final 3rd ... not for the first time this season ... I think any talk of Hibs lacking fight in this game or giving the Huns too much respect is nonsense. When was the last time any team went to Ibrox and forced 13 odd corners, that's hardly indicative of a team failing to give it a go, goals or not.

Well done Malonga, I have been quick to criticise him this season but I thought he was excellent last night as were most of the players. If we had walked out of there 2 - 1 down instead of 2 - 0 I think we would be talking about a decent performance.

As it is we have probably given ourselves too much to do ... but until all hope is gone we are still in this. I for one don't think Hibs will throw caution to the wind on Saturday until we have no option ... 1 - 0 at half time will do me and then we will see.

HFC 0-7
21-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Yeah can't believe he would be getting any stick. Class act. Could have done better with a couple of chances but overall was really good.

I thought he was good but he never played well for the full 90, he ran out of steam midway through the second half, not his fault he ran himself into the ground. Stubbs needed to change both players. Cummings on the other hand wasnt at the races from start to finish today.

Fergos
21-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Aye decent game from DM. Fought to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, don't think he lost a pass all night and set up Cummings for his shocking miss. Maybe could have done better with a couple of half chances but was one of the better performances last night.

As for the midfield......another story altogether.

GGTTH

Glesgahibby
21-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Ifs buts and maybees aside!!
cummings and malonga have been our main goal threat all season.
just watched the first half again and for me Liam Craig(played ok) for mceouch is the only change I would expect for Saturday.
I honestly think we will turn this around and both strikers will score on Saturday :agree:

Onion
21-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Biggest problem we have is Hibs best matches have been against teams who have come at us (Huns, Yams). At 2-0, the Huns can just park the bus at ER knowing how bad we are at breaking teams down, and just hit us on the break. If we win this tie, it will be the best performance by a Hibs team is years.

Danderhall Hibs
21-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Is the manager allowed to come on and take corners? :greengrin

Agreed though about Allan's corners - they've been like that most of the season but we persist with them.

RIP
21-05-2015, 10:58 AM
That's probably not meant to be funny, but it is.

:tee hee:

It made some of S43 laugh when I shouted it at the start of last season. As the season wore on and the floaty pish became like groundhog day, they started to shout it for me.

Bad Martini
21-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Malonga was decent. He was about the best player on the pitch for us and all he lacked was that goal. Unfortunately, that's his main responsibility but to say so and single him out is more than harsh. Could level "blame" at a few places but the bottom line is, we lost the game and we have it in us to win the return. Which frankly, is probably more important right now.

IF, we turn up and to quote the Yogmeister "give it a right good go". The question is, will we? I hope so, I believe so and all we need is more clinical finishing and a bit more guile in defensive work.......:aok:

West hamBERNIAN
21-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Was brilliant with the ball at his feet but he is shockingly bad in the air, half the time he looks as if he is jumping to avoid a live grenade. I'd drop Cummings for Easter road. Great goalscorer but he was lost last night. Farid and molonga if fit for me.