PDA

View Full Version : Priority for next season

Diclonius
20-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Has to be players who are capable of creating and scoring clear cut chances.

We have simply been far too unreliable in the final third this season. We dominated possession in that game and couldn't make anything of it.

Onceinawhile
20-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Top 6.

CraigHibee
20-05-2015, 08:55 PM

We have simply been far too unreliable in the final third this season. We dominated possession in that game and couldn't make anything of it.

the build up play was good it was the end product that was poor, we need to be more clinical, if you could win games on passing alone we would have gubbed sevco

bingo70
20-05-2015, 08:57 PM
We need a couple of wingers imo. We've been too reliant on our full backs for width all season.

heretoday
20-05-2015, 09:08 PM
We need someone to put the ball in the net.

Andy74
20-05-2015, 10:58 PM
We need a couple of wingers imo. We've been too reliant on our full backs for width all season.

Some of our cut backs tonight were crazy. Some really awful delivery from wide positions.

jacomo
20-05-2015, 11:02 PM

We've had one striker out nearly all season, and another in his first full season. Another went to ANC (and Africa!) for first time and another only got signed in Jan. Not a surprise they've been up and down in form.

I'm confident that more or less this group of strikers would deliver a lot more next season.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2015, 11:54 PM
We've had one striker out nearly all season, and another in his first full season. Another went to ANC (and Africa!) for first time and another only got signed in Jan. Not a surprise they've been up and down in form.

I'm confident that more or less this group of strikers would deliver a lot more next season.

I'm worried that all our striker are signed up for next season yet this season has shown they can't get the goals.

Andy74
21-05-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm worried that all our striker are signed up for next season yet this season has shown they can't get the goals.

Hearts and Rangers might both go up with strikers who scored less goals.

BSEJVT
21-05-2015, 12:33 AM
I would take a different view.

I think it is really harsh blaming the strikers when between them they have scored more goals than anyone would have imagined at the start of the season.

For me the priority would be sorting out the defence and keeper.

Teams that don't conceded goals don't get beat.

We look like conceding every game we play.

J-C
21-05-2015, 12:52 AM
We are in need of at least 5-6 players still.

Our defense is a shambles at times, relying too heavily on WB's for width leaves too much space behind and we get caught out on the break too often, Hanlon has been here for how many years now and still we get found out at the back, maybe time for him to move on.

We still lack a real hard tackling no nonsense DM, a Matty Jack, someone to simply read the game and win back the ball in midfield allowing the creative players to create, all too often we see Robertson with loads of energy running around like a headless chicken but with no end product.

Allan is the one bright spark but plays better when coming deep for the ball and starting off moves, we need an attacking mid to play behind the strikers and link up play between midfield and attack.

Cummings is a natural scorer but blows either hot or cold, whether that's because he's still quite young or because he bottles it when things don'y go his way only time will tell, we need another natural finisher. Malonga for all he's done this season is more of a deep lying striker who links up play, similar to Farid, Djedje is a wide player turned striker like Boyle, Rooney at Aberdeen is the type we should be looking at.

We need width from wingers, Boyle is one and we missed him tonight, I don't know if Harris has recovered from his nervous problems and if not we'll need cover on both sides.

So all in all we need a no nonsense centre back, an intellegent hard tackling DM, an attacking mid, another striker and possibly 2 wingers.

Leanne, get shopping.

J-C
21-05-2015, 12:58 AM

Cummings.......Championship top scorer with 20 goals and a 1 in 2 ratio :confused:
Malonga..........16 goals in 29 games, that's less than 1 in 2 :confused:

Dear god even Gray and Stevenson have scored 3 goals each as wingbacks, scoring goals hasn't been a problem but not stopping them at the other end is, we are still a soft touch at the back and teams know this.

California-Hibs
21-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Cummings.......Championship top scorer with 20 goals and a 1 in 2 ratio :confused:
Malonga..........16 goals in 29 games, that's less than 1 in 2 :confused:

Dear god even Gray and Stevenson have scored 3 goals each as wingbacks, scoring goals hasn't been a problem but not stopping them at the other end is, we are still a soft touch at the back and teams know this.

Exactly! I'm cracking up here reading that people think our strikers are the problem!!

Ronniekirk
21-05-2015, 06:38 AM
It could well be to have to find a way to win the Championship as we really can't afford to get stuck there for more than two seasons .Stubbs now knows what it takes and all the Strikers are still under contract .We haven't had a midfielder that can contribute regularly to scoring ,that would help and on evidence of last night we still need a leader on the park and to toughen up and have more pace and plan b to break teams down

Hibernian Verse
21-05-2015, 07:03 AM

I'm sure you post just to troll.

blackpoolhibs
21-05-2015, 08:12 AM
I would take a different view.

I think it is really harsh blaming the strikers when between them they have scored more goals than anyone would have imagined at the start of the season.

For me the priority would be sorting out the defence and keeper.

Teams that don't conceded goals don't get beat.

We look like conceding every game we play.

:agree: Our forwards have over the course of this season normally scored, they have scored more than their competitors.

Our defense have let some of the softest goals in you will see anywhere, thats not changed even though some of the players have.

And i do believe some folk keep forgetting this is the 2nd tier of Scottish football this is happening in.

B.H.F.C
21-05-2015, 08:16 AM
:agree: Our forwards have over the course of this season normally scored, they have scored more than their competitors.

Our defense have let some of the softest goals in you will see anywhere, thats not changed even though some of the players have.

And i do believe some folk keep forgetting this is the 2nd tier of Scottish football this is happening in.

I agree about the defence. Last night was a prime example. For a game of that nature, in that atmosphere we weren't under that much pressure yet we managed to lose two goals. We didn't follow a runner and we left their strikers standing on their own 6 yards out. Poor.

J-C
21-05-2015, 08:21 AM
These are the same goals we've been seeing for he past 6-7 years at ER now, I never understand all the ex centre halfs who have managed here have all wanted passing football, yet can't organise the main thing they were bloody good at, defending..............Mowbray, Yogi, Stubbs. :confused:

Heisenberg
21-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Our defence has been a weak point all season and it's still not been fixed. Oxley is poor as well. This along with a couple of wingers will need sorted out for next season.

madhatter
21-05-2015, 08:34 AM
I think he's been good this season but sadly Hanlon was very poor last night. I'm still not sure CB is his best position. He is still very slight and gets pushed about a bit. Stevenson always trys his hardest but LB doesn't favour him due to his height.

CB_NO3
21-05-2015, 08:44 AM
If Stubbs is going to continue with the diamond in midfield then 2 decent full backs are a must. I like Gray but I have serious doubts over his fitness. Stevenson has a great engine but is pretty poor in the final third. I just hope we can keep Allan and build round him next season but personally I have my doubts that Allan will be here next season. Thats just my own personal opinion.

SlickShoes
21-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Malonga played well last night, Cummings had probably his worst game of the entire season. These things happen but up front isn't where we need to change things.

All 4 strikers are here next season regardless of promotion or not so we WILL score goals.

In all my time supporting hibs I can't remember us having a rock solid reliable defence. We need that more than ever if we are to stay up/try to be promoted next season, assuming we can keep hold of Allan and still have some sort of decent midfield.

We could be in for our 800th rebuilding season in a row.

jacomo
21-05-2015, 09:10 AM
If Stubbs is going to continue with the diamond in midfield then 2 decent full backs are a must. I like Gray but I have serious doubts over his fitness. Stevenson has a great engine but is pretty poor in the final third. I just hope we can keep Allan and build round him next season but personally I have my doubts that Allan will be here next season. Thats just my own personal opinion.

Depends whether we go up or not.

Thecat23
21-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Wingers is a must. I've said it all season but we need runners in this team. Also a proven striker!

J-C
21-05-2015, 09:45 AM

I think Allan will be gone too whether we go up or not as someone will come in with a big enough offer to tempt us.

Re Hanlon, as you said he was again poor when it really matters and it's no coincidence that he's been at the heart of this very poor defense for the past 3-4 years, Stevenson is no FB or WB but you cannot deny his heart, maybe having a big heart just isn't enough and a new challenge for both players is what's needed.

Keith_M
21-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Players with a quick turn of pace.

A new Goalie

Andy74
21-05-2015, 10:31 AM
We could do with a Gary Deegan type player who may not be the most skilled but will tackle everything that moves and give it someone else. not just that but a character who hates to lose at anything and will instill that in everyone else.

I also think we need a left back. Stevenson has been great when on form but I think maybe he has had a period of playing above himself and his defending can be a problem when up against good players. He seems to have fallen away from taking players on and getting deliveries in too.

If we could get a left sided version of David Gray that would be good. We need to get him fit too.

J-C
21-05-2015, 10:40 AM
I wonder if contract problems are going against certain players. Stevenson in particular has dipped dramatically in form this past few weeks, where he was solid as a rock, he now look timid going forward and lapses in concentration every now and then. All this will we or won't we go up and certain players only signing if we go up, maybe if these players commited themselves to Hibs no matter what division we are in might be better, all speculation though.

Northernhibee
21-05-2015, 10:41 AM

We've got the top goal scorer this season, but apart from that, good point. Apart from Malonga who would have been up there if not representing his country at the ACN.

Andy74
21-05-2015, 10:47 AM
I wonder if contract problems are going against certain players. Stevenson in particular has dipped dramatically in form this past few weeks, where he was solid as a rock, he now look timid going forward and lapses in concentration every now and then. All this will we or won't we go up and certain players only signing if we go up, maybe if these players commited themselves to Hibs no matter what division we are in might be better, all speculation though.

Maybe.

One other thing is most of our team are not used to being regular first team players for prolonged periods. They are now playing every week in some high pressured games. Yes, they had the couple of weeks off but I think a lot of them will be struggling to keep performance levels high.

Bearders
21-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Re Hanlon, as you said he was again poor when it really matters and it's no coincidence that he's been at the heart of this very poor defense for the past 3-4 years, Stevenson is no FB or WB but you cannot deny his heart, maybe having a big heart just isn't enough and a new challenge for both players is what's needed.[/QUOTE]

100% spot on - I've shared this view for some time. Unpopular with some but change is now required for them and the Club.

MrRobot
21-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Really? 1st and 4th top goalscorers in the league but they can't get goals? :confused:

LancsHibs
21-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Our priority for next season will unfortunately be promotion

Smartie
21-05-2015, 01:03 PM
I still don't think this is a discussion that can be had until we know what league we're in.

We have some integral figures out of contract within the next few weeks. Whether they stay or go will dictate whether they need to be supplemented or replaced.

I DO think that we have suffered from having so many players out of contract, it's never been a situation that has helped us in the past (remember the dip in form that the Latapy team had after Christmas)?

In the unlikely event that we held onto everyone, the priority would be how we join up the midfield and attack (Fenlon was often accused of not being able to do this). Getting Boyle on a longer contract would make a big difference.

Too often the final ball or cross doesn't quite cut it against the better teams we play. And even the chances we do create often go begging. I wouldn't be too unhappy with some fairly high-profile departures in midfield and up front allowing those who remain to be supplemented by players who complement them a bit better. Not necessarily needing better players - just different types. See the impact a player like Boyle has made, by no means a world-beater but just a style of play that helps the other players we already have.

Getting Farid fit (he can get his head on crosses) and signing Boyle longer term (sheer pace to get in behind defences) would be a great start.

southsider
21-05-2015, 01:27 PM
1) Tall keeper who commands his box and who is good at crosses. 2) Bum fit wing backs who bomb forward but can also defend. 3) 2 strong, quick centre-backs. 4) 2 holding midfield players. 5) 1 creative midfield player who stays mostly in opposition half. 6) 3 up front who interchange. Sorted.

Andy74
21-05-2015, 01:40 PM
1) Tall keeper who commands his box and who is good at crosses. 2) Bum fit wing backs who bomb forward but can also defend. 3) 2 strong, quick centre-backs. 4) 2 holding midfield players. 5) 1 creative midfield player who stays mostly in opposition half. 6) 3 up front who interchange. Sorted.

How do you become bum fit?

stantonhibby
21-05-2015, 01:48 PM
How do you become bum fit?

I don't think you want to know !

Dashing Bob S
21-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Our strikers have a good goals-to-games ratio, but they are playing in a League of a very low standard. I think their goals-to-chances-created ratio would be much less impressive. I don't know what this is, but you get some indication when you look at our goal difference is poor compared to say, Hearts, who put away their chances. Simply put, we are dominating teams on possession. Sometimes we are turning this into chances created (like the 1-2 Raith game, 0-1 Falkirk semi) sometimes not (like last night, and Falkirk 0-1 before Christmas). Our strikers have potential but often flatter to deceive in poor competition. Until they don't - then we have problems.