PDA

View Full Version : Have Hibs ever....

Keith_M
20-05-2015, 09:48 AM
....played Rangers* 7 times in one season before?

By Saturday, that'll be the number of times we've played them this season.

I suppose it could have been worse, as there were another two Cup Competitions we could have drawn them in, taking the possibly tally to a ridiculous Nine!

* Old or New ;)

EH54
20-05-2015, 09:53 AM

I suppose it could have been worse, as there were another two Cup Competitions we could have drawn them in, taking the possibly tally to a ridiculous Nine!

* Old or New ;)

I'm sure we had to play Aberdeen 7 times in one season not long ago but not sure about The Rangers or Rangers.

Boris
20-05-2015, 09:55 AM

* Old or New ;)

Yes. 1978/79 comes to mind. In the days when new Premier League involved playing your opponents 4 times & then the Scottish Cup final went to 2 replays so 7 games in total.

Keith_M
20-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Yes. 1978/79 comes to mind. In the days when new Premier League involved playing your opponents 4 times & then the Scottish Cup final went to 2 replays so 7 games in total.

Cheers Boris, I'd forgotten about that.

Interesting that the SFA changed the rules after that Final to prevent the same thing happening again. Yet here we find ourselves, 36 years later, playing them seven times again.

Salt N Sauzee
20-05-2015, 10:11 AM

* Old or New ;)

Hope it never happens again, absolutely sick of the sight of the barstools.

Kojock
20-05-2015, 10:17 AM

We actually played them 4 times in a row in May 79, cup final 12/5, 2 replays 16/5 & 28/5 then again in the league 31/5

Keith_M
20-05-2015, 10:28 AM
We actually played them 4 times in a row in May 79, cup final 12/5, 2 replays 16/5 & 28/5 then again in the league 31/5

IIRC, we actually won the only game out of the four that didn't matter.

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2015, 10:28 AM
From the Rangers website today -

Rangers and Hibernian will have met on seven occasions this season by the conclusion of this tie. The last time this happened was in season 1978/79 with the sides meeting in four league games and also on three occasions in a protracted Scottish Cup final which went to two replays. Rangers won three times, Hibs once and three matches were drawn (all 0-0).

Kojock
20-05-2015, 10:43 AM

Yep, the home league game on the 31st Won 2-1 goals from Benny Brazil and Gordon Rae (Crowd 3242)

Boris
20-05-2015, 10:57 AM

The Cup final replay was a hard one to take on several fronts. If I mind right the 2nd replay was on a Monday night & we came back on the train during the day from London (Wembley weekend), couple of beers in the Conan Doyle, then picked up in York Place by Musselburgh Hibs bus at back of 5. Beaten in the final, winner was an own goal & when we got back to the bus, parked in Prospecthill Road (where the Asda is now roughly), we found all our bags had been nicked despite the Hibs buses supposedly being watched by the Glasgow Polis following the previous 2 games when a lot of Hibs buses had their windows tanned in during the game. Ah, happy days...................