PDA

View Full Version : If you had the money....

Keith_M
19-05-2015, 11:20 AM
....would you buy out STF and Petrie's share of the Club?

I've been thinking about that recently (had a bit of time on my hands ;) ) and I'm not sure I actually would.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of it really appeals to me (and is appalling to almost everybody else) but can you imagine the media attention you would get? They'd be poking into your background, annoying all your friends and relatives with leading questions and misrepresenting everything you've ever said to make a sensationalist story.

What about everybody else, would you fancy it? Is anybody on here both incredibly rich and clean as the driven snow?

Gatecrasher
19-05-2015, 11:21 AM
If I was rich enough to make a real difference to the club, then I definitely would.

Onceinawhile
19-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Nope, I'd donate 20 million on the proviso that, if come the last game of the season, we had nothing to play for, I would get at least 45 minutes.

CallumLaidlaw
19-05-2015, 11:40 AM
I've always told my wife that if we won the Euromillions, 10% would go to Hibs. I wouldn't want to OWN the club, but I would want half a dozen lifetime seats, etc, and would want to sit down with LD to discuss how the money was being spent. - Clear the loan, budget for players, investment into youth development, etc.

Geo_1875
19-05-2015, 11:45 AM

I've been thinking about that recently (had a bit of time on my hands ;) ) and I'm not sure I actually would.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of it really appeals to me (and is appalling to almost everybody else) but can you imagine the media attention you would get? They'd be poking into your background, annoying all your friends and relatives with leading questions and misrepresenting everything you've ever said to make a sensationalist story.

What about everybody else, would you fancy it? Is anybody on here both incredibly rich and clean as the driven snow?

Why would the media give any new owner a hard time? Surely the EEN would proclaim them the saviour of a major employer in the Edinburgh area and give them free adverts every day.

I've always told my wife that if we won the Euromillions, 10% would go to Hibs. I wouldn't want to OWN the club, but I would want half a dozen lifetime seats, etc, and would want to sit down with LD to discuss how the money was being spent. - Clear the loan, budget for players, investment into youth development, etc.

That's a lot of demands in return for £7.28 :wink:

HH81
19-05-2015, 11:47 AM

I would buy the club and move it to Dewsbury :-)

No I would not want the attention but I would put money in for sponsorship etc.

scoopyboy
19-05-2015, 11:50 AM

I would buy the club in a flash if I had the money to make a go of it.

Couldn't care less what they dug up about me as long as I had the backing of the Hibs fans.

I've played the scenario out many times whilst lying awake at nights.

Keith_M
19-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Why would the media give any new owner a hard time? Surely the EEN would proclaim them the saviour of a major employer in the Edinburgh area and give them free adverts every day.

Wrong Club

:greengrin

Smartie
19-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't. Not a chance.

I enjoy being a fan too much and I enjoy moaning and pointing the finger of blame at others too much.

You would lose too much as a fan if you actually had a financial interest.

Look at the abuse STF has taken, and all because he put the long-term interests of the club first at all times (rather than give in to the angry mob demanding we spend more than we bring in). And look at the frustration vented at our new fans reps, all because some fans didn't get tickets for a big game whilst our new loyalty scheme had some early bother bedding in (an undeniably good idea in theory). That is nothing compared to what is could be like (ask David Duff).

I can't remember exactly who it was - maybe one of the Gallaghers re Man City but they seemed to hit the nail on the head re the perils of owning a club when they were asked if they were interested.

If I had the cash I'd take a few seats or a box to watch the games in but that's it.

Steve20
19-05-2015, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't. Not a chance.

I enjoy being a fan too much and I enjoy moaning and pointing the finger of blame at others too much.

You would lose too much as a fan if you actually had a financial interest.

Look at the abuse STF has taken, and all because he put the long-term interests of the club first at all times (rather than give in to the angry mob demanding we spend more than we bring in). And look at the frustration vented at our new fans reps, all because some fans didn't get tickets for a big game whilst our new loyalty scheme had some early bother bedding in (an undeniably good idea in theory). That is nothing compared to what is could be like (ask David Duff).

I can't remember exactly who it was - maybe one of the Gallaghers re Man City but they seemed to hit the nail on the head re the perils of owning a club when they were asked if they were interested.

If I had the cash I'd take a few seats or a box to watch the games in but that's it.

The angry mob might point to why spending more at the time might have worked out financially better for us, rather than being potentially stuck in the Championship for a few years.

offshorehibby
19-05-2015, 12:08 PM

That's always been the way i've thought i'd play it.

PeeKay
19-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Suppose you had won £100million. How much would it cost to buy Hibs, lock stock and barrel? Then how much would that leave to actually invest in players and otherwise improve the club to an extent that it would be a noticeable improvement on the current position? I think the problem would be that your money would not actually last that long and once it was gone then what?

I agree with Callum L. I would not want to own the club but in exchange for life-time STs would rather pay off the debt and invest directly in the playing staff. And like others, this is something that I do dream about doing. If only......

Scouse Hibee
19-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Even if I donated £20 million no strings attached to the club, some on here would post a negative slant on it without a doubt.

killie-hibby
19-05-2015, 12:22 PM
If I had the dosh to buy out Farmer et al my wife would send me to a very expensive psychotherapist to have Hibs and football eradicated from my memory. After being discharged from the clinic we would live happily in a large house with a garden stretching down to the edge of Lake Garda.
Years of disappointment and frustration gone forever. Perfection!

Keith_M
19-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Suppose you had won £100million. How much would it cost to buy Hibs, lock stock and barrel? Then how much would that leave to actually invest in players and otherwise improve the club to an extent that it would be a noticeable improvement on the current position? I think the problem would be that your money would not actually last that long and once it was gone then what?

Going by the numbers bandied about in the new shares release.....

2.5 million to buy STF/Petrie's shares then 6.5 million if you wanted to pay off the debt.

Even if I donated £20 million no strings attached to the club, some on here would post a negative slant on it without a doubt.

Scousers out!

Newry Hibs
19-05-2015, 12:32 PM

So you'd leave Hibs having to get their own string then? It's time wasters like you ... blah blah blah

Deansy
19-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Would love to own Hibs - I would leave all currently in place (except Petrie - part of my conditions would be I'D get to bullet him !!) to carry on as they are. Other things would be making sure the players get out and about ER/Leith more - especially in Derby-week - or spending 1/2 hours a week in the Hibs Club. Other things I'd do is to involve more ex-players - Pat Stanton, Jimmy O'Rourke, Mickey Weir etc - to get over to the current and new players just how much this club means to all !

Kavinho
19-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Nepal, Haiti, et al...?

JimBHibees
19-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Only 20 million, jeezo what a tight ass. :greengrin

Gus
19-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Nepal, Haiti, et al...?

Maybe a whoooosh moment for me, but what's your point?

Gus
19-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I would give Hibs 20 million for the naming rights to Easter Road and call it the GusDome or something

jacomo
19-05-2015, 01:38 PM

I agree with Callum L. I would not want to own the club but in exchange for life-time STs would rather pay off the debt and invest directly in the playing staff. And like others, this is something that I do dream about doing. If only......

It's now impossible to own Hibs outright as HSL now have a stake. However, theoretically £10m would get you control, allow you to pay off the debts and leave a 'war chest' to invest in new players.

How long that would last is up to you, but it would make sense to have a bit more set aside to cover potential losses in the future!

Off the bar
19-05-2015, 01:49 PM
If I won the lottery (will have to start playing before that happens!) I'd pay over the odds to buy the shirt sponsorship deal and do a proper hibs shirt with no sponsor and no manufacturers label, just a green and white top with the club crest. I'd get a real buzz watching the team run out in a classy looking top like that knowing I'd made it happen! Plus it would be kicking money into the club with the arse pain of owning/running it!

just need to buy that ticket. . . . . .

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Only if I was guaranteed a ticket for tomorrow night.

jacomo
19-05-2015, 02:10 PM
If I won the lottery (will have to start playing before that happens!) I'd pay over the odds to buy the shirt sponsorship deal and do a proper hibs shirt with no sponsor and no manufacturers label, just a green and white top with the club crest. I'd get a real buzz watching the team run out in a classy looking top like that knowing I'd made it happen! Plus it would be kicking money into the club with the arse pain of owning/running it!

That would be pretty classy. We could reclaim that 'more than a club' nonsense from those arrivistes Barcelona...

greenlex
19-05-2015, 02:12 PM

Very much this. I would also give them a few million for lifetime season tickets in the west but only if a parking space was included behind the West Stand.

silverhibee
19-05-2015, 02:21 PM

A scouser with £20 million, Mmm, :thumbsup:

jacomo
19-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Very much this. I would also give them a few million for lifetime season tickets in the west but only if a parking space was included behind the West Stand.

Would your LaFerrari be wrapped in bottle green or emerald green though?

silverhibee
19-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Would your LaFerrari be wrapped in bottle green or emerald green though?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JMvfX7q2LCM/maxresdefault.jpg

Keith_M
19-05-2015, 02:50 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JMvfX7q2LCM/maxresdefault.jpg

Silver, I now have serious Car Envy

Pete
19-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Nepal, Haiti, et al...?

It would be placed like the French riviera and the Bahamas for me.

silverhibee
19-05-2015, 03:04 PM
It would be placed like the French riviera and the Bahamas for me.

DH1875
19-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Depends on how much money I had. 10-20 million then no chance. 50 million then maybe. 100+ million then defo would.

blackpoolhibs
19-05-2015, 03:07 PM
I have often spent every penny of my lottery winnings on the club.

Keith_M
19-05-2015, 03:11 PM
I plan on winning the German Lottery Jackpot tomorrow, but I've still not decided if I should buy the Club.

I might just buy one of the new Hibs Tops instead.

Pete
19-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Mental, eh?

The last thing I want to see when I win the lottery is poor people.

SteveHFC
19-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Yes but i will be charging more for season tickets. :na na:

snooky
19-05-2015, 03:30 PM
I would buy the Heartz and donate them Sir T to be used as a farm(er) team.

Kavinho
19-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Maybe a whoooosh moment for me, but what's your point?

My point was - has anyone considered a more philanthropic cause than a pro football club?
I'd spend any proper cash on proper causes over and above a football club, and professional footballers earning vast sums (relative to say an average wage in an average non first world country).

Dnipro kids would get a small fortune before a penny to Hibs.

Sorry

Kavinho
19-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Mental, eh?

Tory, aye?!

(Smiley, ha ha, jokeface)!

Pete
19-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Tory, aye?!

(Smiley, ha ha, jokeface)!

Of course not. I haven't won yet!

Canon Hannan
19-05-2015, 04:51 PM

If I had £20 million to spend it would be used to make sure Hibernian had the best Academy in the UK. I would invest in quality foreign coaches and build an indoor pitch. Possibly move the Academy to Broxburn/Livingston area for access to the West too. I would charge £10 and £5 for games and buy 2 or 3 big names. This would bring fans back. And I would make sure tere was a huge Harp back on the stadium façade!

Gus
19-05-2015, 07:55 PM
My point was - has anyone considered a more philanthropic cause than a pro football club?
I'd spend any proper cash on proper causes over and above a football club, and professional footballers earning vast sums (relative to say an average wage in an average non first world country).

Dnipro kids would get a small fortune before a penny to Hibs.

Sorry
Sorry didn't mean to sound patronising. I agree with what your saying and I'm sure 99% of people who win large sums would choose to donate to their chosen charities but people on here were just answering to the OP

One Day
19-05-2015, 08:34 PM
If I had £20 million to spend it would be used to make sure Hibernian had the best Academy in the UK. I would invest in quality foreign coaches and build an indoor pitch. Possibly move the Academy to Broxburn/Livingston area for access to the West too. I would charge £10 and £5 for games and buy 2 or 3 big names. This would bring fans back. And I would make sure tere was a huge Harp back on the stadium façade!

Sounds good

Kavinho
19-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Sorry didn't mean to sound patronising. I agree with what your saying and I'm sure 99% of people who win large sums would choose to donate to their chosen charities but people on here were just answering to the OP

"Thumbs up smilie"
Didn't take it any other way, and agree. Appreciate the thread is just for a bit of fun.

DarlingtonHibee
19-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if posted before :greengrin

How do you become a millionaire football owner ?

Start with a billion :wink:

DarlingtonHibee
19-05-2015, 08:54 PM
The angry mob might point to why spending more at the time might have worked out financially better for us, rather than being potentially stuck in the Championship for a few years.

Steve - do you spend well beyond your income ? - STF stated that from DAY ONE the club would have to be self sufficent, but I bet he has bailed us out loads of times - and stayed quiet about it, sorry, but posters that "speculate to accumulate" should have a look at the Global financial crash, British banks etc...., not to mention our city rivals - they were lucky, but it still affected all their creditors.

silverhibee
19-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Mental, eh?

Unless they are serving you :greengrin f*** wasting your money on them, give them a tenner a week and they should be grateful they get that. :greengrin