PDA

View Full Version : Summer Signings

St Pauli Hibee
18-05-2015, 07:51 PM
For me a centre half and a right back are a must with possibly a winger or two aswell

Steven Anderson (St Johnstone)
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Wigan Athletic)
Byron Moore (Port Vale)
Reuben Reid (Plymouth Argyle)
Gavin Reilly (Queen of the South)
Possible signing targets fire over suggestions for the transfer window? :flag: :gwa:

Borderhibbie76
18-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Gavin reilly?? No thanks he was honking in both legs v the rangers

stevie-bee
18-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Gavin Reilly is no better than what we have ,
The guy Carmichael looked a tricky player

bingo70
18-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Gavin Reilly is no better than what we have ,
The guy Carmichael looked a tricky player

I thought Lyle looked pretty good, no idea how old he is or what his history is though, nobody seems to be talking about him so I'm guessing he's Maybe a bit older.

Fwiw I didn't rate Reilly in that game yesterday but he's obviously had a good season. If we do go after him it'd be wrong to right him off because of a couple of bad games.

Andy74
18-05-2015, 08:52 PM
For me a centre half and a right back are a must with possibly a winger or two aswell

Steven Anderson (St Johnstone)
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Wigan Athletic)
Byron Moore (Port Vale)
Reuben Reid (Plymouth Argyle)
Gavin Reilly (Queen of the South)
Possible signing targets fire over suggestions for the transfer window? :flag: :gwa:

Hard to know until we know who is staying from current squad.

The Sundance Kid
18-05-2015, 08:58 PM
I thought Lyle looked pretty good, no idea how old he is or what his history is though, nobody seems to be talking about him so I'm guessing he's Maybe a bit older.

Fwiw I didn't rate Reilly in that game yesterday but he's obviously had a good season. If we do go after him it'd be wrong to right him off because of a couple of bad games.

He's 34 years old and has been a bit of a journeyman, had the season of his life this season though and for me outshone many of the young highly rated Queens players in the two playoff games

Mikey09
18-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Danny Swanson.
Stephen O'Donnell (Partick Thistle)
Kallum Higginbotham (Partick Thistle)

Keith Watson - Permanent.
Fraser Fyvie - Permanent.
Martin Boyle - Permanent.

St Pauli Hibee
18-05-2015, 11:46 PM
As well as getting signings in I think we need to get rid of some dead weight e.g. Danny Handling and maybe even Sammy Stanton as they are not first team players

Hibeesmad
19-05-2015, 12:14 AM
New goalkeeper
Fontaine new contract
Allan new contract
Fyvie new contract
Stevenson new contract
Robertson new contract
Watson permanent
Boyle permanent
Handling, Stanton and L.Allan out on loan
Sign 1 attacking midfielder
Sign 1 centre back
Sign 1 winger

Would make me happy :)

hibees 7062
19-05-2015, 12:26 AM
Wallace
McGoosh
Shiels
Zeefuik
Swanson
Davidson
May ( loan )

Bearders
19-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Fwiw I didn't rate Reilly in that game yesterday but he's obviously had a good season. If we do go after him it'd be wrong to right him off because of a couple of bad games.[/QUOTE]

Reilly is signing up for a stint at the Saville Dome.

Brightside
19-05-2015, 07:24 AM
As well as getting signings in I think we need to get rid of some dead weight e.g. Danny Handling and maybe even Sammy Stanton as they are not first team players

4 posts and straight into slagging off two of our talented young players. Not very christian of you.

Brightside
19-05-2015, 07:26 AM
If Watson is signed that would be 4 Centre halves so not idea why we would want another....we also have youth players in that position.

A goalie, and a wing back.

Ronniekirk
19-05-2015, 07:48 AM
We still haven't signed Lewis up yet so given how easily it's happened in the past ,it's clear that players are hedging their bets until they know where we are playing and how this financially impacts on any new contract and length of .
while we will know doubt have targets that may or may not have been sounded out we are going to have to be patient A lot hinges on the outcome of he next four games

offshorehibby
19-05-2015, 07:48 AM
While Watson's had a couple of decent games he's not been brilliant. I'd like to think there is better out there on our radar.

J-C
19-05-2015, 08:40 AM
If Watson is signed that would be 4 Centre halves so not idea why we would want another....we also have youth players in that position.

A goalie, and a wing back.

Watson is a RB who can play CH if needed, good to ave versatility in the squad but will he want to be just a squad player at his age, for this reason I don't think he'll be signing.

Billychaotic182
19-05-2015, 02:23 PM
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/hibs-eye-departing-don-clark-robertson/

S4uzee
19-05-2015, 03:03 PM
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/hibs-eye-departing-don-clark-robertson/

Hope not

Allant1981
19-05-2015, 03:14 PM
4 posts and straight into slagging off two of our talented young players. Not very christian of you.

Its hardly slagging them off, the poster is entitled to his/her own opinion. Fwiw i would also let stanton and handling go, they havent had much first team football and at the age where they should really be playing every week if they want to improve

superfurryhibby
19-05-2015, 05:24 PM
We still haven't signed Lewis up yet so given how easily it's happened in the past ,it's clear that players are hedging their bets until they know where we are playing and how this financially impacts on any new contract and length of .
while we will know doubt have targets that may or may not have been sounded out we are going to have to be patient A lot hinges on the outcome of he next four games

Maybe Lewis hasn't been offered a contract?

The squad is pretty strong and we should focus on retaining all the keys players who are out of contract. Fontaine, Fyvie and Mc Geough ( is he out of contract at Celtic?). I'd be happy to see some fringe players and the likes of Craig and Robertson go. I would trust Stubbs to get the right players in and feel it's, on the balance, worth shaking up things a little more.

B.H.F.C
19-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Its hardly slagging them off, the poster is entitled to his/her own opinion. Fwiw i would also let stanton and handling go, they havent had much first team football and at the age where they should really be playing every week if they want to improve

They are certainly both at an age where they have to start playing regularly. If we stay down they might. If we go up they won't.

Ricky Bobby
19-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Keeping the current squad together and making the signings of Mcgeoch, Boyle and Fyvie would be enough to finish top six or win the championship next year. No need for signings for signing sake IMO.

The_Horde
19-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Hope not

Why?

KdyHby
19-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Diego Costa was in Renroc Cafe, Montgomery Street, this afternoon...

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Ross Wallace anyone?

St Pauli Hibee
19-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Diego Costa was in Renroc Cafe, Montgomery Street, this afternoon...

Its funny you say that I'm sure I saw Eden Hazard and David De Gea at HTC this morning, clearly looking for a better club

Beefster
19-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Ross Wallace anyone?

He's just been released by a team in the EPL this season. He might be a little bit out of our league right now.

hibs#1
19-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Ross Wallace anyone?

Take it he was realesd?could play lwb role I would imagine,don't have much cover that side

S4uzee
19-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Why?

Because when I've seen him play against Hibs and on TV I haven't rated him and looked quite timid

GreenLake
19-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Celtic should not be allowed to take Scott Allan for less than 2M plus Griffiths and McGeouch.

Michael
19-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Wallace
McGoosh
Shiels
Zeefuik
Swanson
Davidson
May ( loan )

Why do some people rate Shiels so highly?

At his peak he managed about 1 good game in 3. Some fond memories of his time with us...but when he left most were satisfied to see him leave.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Celtic should not be allowed to take Scott Allan for less than 2M plus Griffiths and McGeouch.

And Van Dyke

Billychaotic182
19-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Why?

I live in Aberdeen and have a lot of don pals. They tell me he is rank

hibees 7062
19-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Andy Driver anyone ?:duck:

HappyHanlon
19-05-2015, 10:35 PM

He's always a first signing for Hibs on Football Manager when it's the computer controlling the game.

Competition for Lewis, I would think. Think it could only benefit him.

andrew70
19-05-2015, 10:41 PM
He's always a first signing for Hibs on Football Manager when it's the computer controlling the game.

Competition for Lewis, I would think. Think it could only benefit him.

If Lewis stays beyond the summer that is.....

HappyHanlon
19-05-2015, 10:45 PM
If Lewis stays beyond the summer that is.....

Stubbsy sees the love for him from the stands and it's his testimonial year. 1yr deal I think.

andrew70
19-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Stubbsy sees the love for him from the stands and it's his testimonial year. 1yr deal I think.

There's no sentiment when it comes to improving the club and ensuring we continue to move forward. I think he'll be off following the play-offs especially if we get promoted.

Iceman1875
20-05-2015, 06:41 AM
The ex Everton goalkeeper Iain Turner has been released from tranmere I think, with his Everton / Scottish links surely he will be linked with Stubbs and us?

At Easter Road we play...

superfurryhibby
20-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Eh, carried away methinks.

I suspect Lewis will be off at the end of the season, along with the others from the relegated squad who have not yet been offered contracts. Maybe promotion will change that, but not because these guys are waiting to see which league we play in (that might apply to guys like Fyvie and Fontaine).

keep the faith
20-05-2015, 07:03 AM
There's no sentiment when it comes to improving the club and ensuring we continue to move forward. I think he'll be off following the play-offs especially if we get promoted.

If it's about continuing to improve we should be getting Lewis signed up.
And as for sentiment, yes I do want to see the guy get testimonial. His contribution, effort, attitude, determination and versatility deserves to be recognised and I think most fans feel the same.
Would be really sad if he left now.

Ronniekirk
20-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Maybe Lewis hasn't been offered a contract?

The squad is pretty strong and we should focus on retaining all the keys players who are out of contract. Fontaine, Fyvie and Mc Geough ( is he out of contract at Celtic?). I'd be happy to see some fringe players and the likes of Craig and Robertson go. I would trust Stubbs to get the right players in and feel it's, on the balance, worth shaking up things a little more.
They started negotiations iat some point I remember reading and he has been linked with other clubs so I think it's fair to say he is biding his time and at his age one year extensions are no use he will be looking for this next contract to be longer and more lucrative and you can't blame him for that

But as everyone has said until we know where we are playing our football next season nothing is likely to happen on Transfer front as Stubbsbudget will change if up for the better and don't know if it would go down if we stay down

woodythehibee
20-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Would be surprised and disappointed if Lewis didn't get a new deal.

matty_f
20-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Would be surprised and disappointed if Lewis didn't get a new deal.

:agree: I think he's a certainty to be offered a new deal. He has been one of our best players this season, was named in the player's team of the season, and won the sponsor's player of the season.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2015, 07:37 AM
The ex Everton goalkeeper Iain Turner has been released from tranmere I think, with his Everton / Scottish links surely he will be linked with Stubbs and us?

At Easter Road we play...

Bloody well hope not, he's absolutely rank.

JimBHibees
20-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Bloody well hope not, he's absolutely rank.

He was atrocious when at Dunfermline on loan.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Why do some people rate Shiels so highly?

At his peak he managed about 1 good game in 3. Some fond memories of his time with us...but when he left most were satisfied to see him leave.

Agree, very inconsistent and three years at Ibrox will not have improved him. Would be a massive step backwards.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2015, 08:44 AM
And as for sentiment, yes I do want to see the guy get testimonial. His contribution, effort, attitude, determination and versatility deserves to be recognised and I think most fans feel the same.

I think he probably is worth a new deal but let's cut out the sentimentality. If we can get better then that's what we have to do. If he has to move on then we thank Lewis for his service and both parties move on.

andrew70
20-05-2015, 09:15 AM

I think if we get promoted he will find a better left back. Whether that means Stevenson leaves or not remains to be seen but his best season to date has been in the first division that doesn't bode well if we get to the premier league.

He has been great this year but can Stubbs improve his ability further to play as consistently well in the league above, I am not so sure especially at left back.

Brightside
20-05-2015, 09:25 AM
I think if we get promoted he will find a better left back. Whether that means Stevenson leaves or not remains to be seen but his best season to date has been in the first division that doesn't bode well if we get to the premier league.

He has been great this year but can Stubbs improve his ability further to play as consistently well in the league above, I am not so sure especially at left back.

With that logic should we look to get rid of all the other players just because they have done well in this division? Lets not keep blaming players for what happened last year. Butcher and Malpas did that. They stopped players using their abilities and strengths.

andrew70
20-05-2015, 09:38 AM
With that logic should we look to get rid of all the other players just because they have done well in this division? Lets not keep blaming players for what happened last year. Butcher and Malpas did that. They stopped players using their abilities and strengths.

Fair point to an extent but when was Stevenson's last full good season?

The squad we have now is good but it still needs improving should we be promoted! We'll see what happens over the next few games but either way I think there will be several changes to the squad again some down to contract expiry others down to just not being good enough to take us where we all want to be. eg 3rd/4th in league above etc

Unseen work
20-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Stevenson should 100% be offerred a new contract, he has been brilliant this season and even if we got a better left back he would be a great squad player to have.

Clark Robertson - My aberdeen supporting friends dont rate him in the slightest, having said that he is only young and has had alot of injuries.
Dean Shiels - No thank you, would never get in our current team and he hasnt impressed when iv watched him lately. (Watch him play a blinder tonight)
Danny Rogers - Brilliant on loan this season for Dumbarton from aberdeen, out of contract this summer. Young goalkeeper with alot of first team experience already. Won alot of end of season awards.
Joe Shaugnessy - Another aberdeen youngster out of contract, young defender always seemed quite good when i have watched him. Wouldnt get a game ahead of forster/fontaine/hanlon
Gavin reilly - Had a really good couple of seasons and certainly knows where the back of the net is, very composed finisher. However he did not impress against rangers.
Danny Carmichael - Old fashion winger with 2 good feet and can beat a man.

SteveHFC
20-05-2015, 11:33 AM
If Stevenson is not here next season i'll be returning my season ticket.

Lmc2105
20-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Danny Rogers - Brilliant on loan this season for Dumbarton from aberdeen, out of contract this summer. Young goalkeeper with alot of first team experience already. Won alot of end of season awards.

Has already agreed a new contract at Aberdeen mate, would have agreed been great this season for Dumbarton.

cannastar
20-05-2015, 12:33 PM
As iv mentioned previously Mark Durnan from Queens would be agreat signing for us...he was a bit unlucky with injuries toward end of season but when fit is a very solid player. The other name i would mention is a young boy called Donald McCallum who is with Ian Murray at Dumbarton.Only had a few apearances off the bench this year but netted twice.Looked cool in front of goal when he scored at Palmerston and would seem to be developing at sons ver quickly...would expect him to be a regular for them next year.

dangermouse
20-05-2015, 01:53 PM
As iv mentioned previously Mark Durnan from Queens would be agreat signing for us...he was a bit unlucky with injuries toward end of season but when fit is a very solid player. The other name i would mention is a young boy called Donald McCallum who is with Ian Murray at Dumbarton.Only had a few apearances off the bench this year but netted twice.Looked cool in front of goal when he scored at Palmerston and would seem to be developing at sons ver quickly...would expect him to be a regular for them next year.

My son became friends with him on holiday a couple of years ago. Really nice guy but never seen him play yet.

Vault Boy
20-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Already a few players from this (http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/304680-the-133-premiership-players-out-of-contract-at-end-of-the-season/) list linked to us. A number of them could be very good signings.

andrew70
21-05-2015, 11:49 AM
If Stevenson is not here next season i'll be returning my season ticket.

Still of this opinion? Absolutely brutal last night.

He's been good this year, the Championship is his level I feel unfortunately.

I doubt we'll go up now but if we do he'll definitely be off.

On another note, signings wise, we urgently need some wingers and a striker who scores more than 1 in every 8 chances.

Brightside
21-05-2015, 12:15 PM

On another note, signings wise, we urgently need some wingers and a striker who scores more than 1 in every 8 chances.

Always amazed at "fans" who revel in the odd poor performance from a player just for the sake of a "I told ya so" Very sad.

Cameron1875
21-05-2015, 12:20 PM
We need a new left back unfortunately.

Lewis wouldn't be the first I'd look to replace but we need an attacking full back if we're going to take the game to teams.

:tin hat:

andrew70
21-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Always amazed at "fans" who revel in the odd poor performance from a player just for the sake of a "I told ya so" Very sad.

I was asking a genuine question.

Certainly not revelling in it but to move forward we need to get better quality in, do you not agree?

oh and that's not just aimed at Lewis who I have the utmost respect for, he's stuck by us when he could have went elsewhere.

If our squad is as good as it's made out to be then we'd be looking towards the premiership next season, alas, at this current time we are not.

Even the better players need to take a look at themselves after last night, are they really premier league quality if we can't get out of this league and so on?

h185forever
21-05-2015, 01:11 PM
if Oxley heads back south .....would we have any interested in the QoS goalie ....thought he was good against the peepsl from greyskull...not sure but he may be free in the summer

southsider
21-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Pace pace pace

PatHead
21-05-2015, 01:27 PM
The first thing we have to do is extend Stubbs and the backroom teams contracts. They finish next summer and if I was a player I would want to see commitment from the manager before signing an extension or 2 year deal. No sense in "buying in" to anything if it ain't there in a year.

C'mon Leanne get it sorted. You know it makes sense.

bingo70
21-05-2015, 01:30 PM
The first thing we have to do is extend Stubbs and the backroom teams contracts. They finish next summer and if I was a player I would want to see commitment from the manager before signing an extension or 2 year deal. No sense in "buying in" to anything if it ain't there in a year.

C'mon Leanne get it sorted. You know it makes sense.

No chance.

This is probably for another debate but we're on the brink of staying in this division, any new contract should be on us getting promoted next season. No new deals should be given until promotion is achieved imo.

J-C
21-05-2015, 03:25 PM

So Cummings with 40 games and 20 goals......Malonga 29 games 16 goals aint good enough for you. :confused:

bingo70
21-05-2015, 04:41 PM
So Cummings with 40 games and 20 goals......Malonga 29 games 16 goals aint good enough for you. :confused:

It's mad looking at the stats but I know what the poster that you quoted means. I don't think we are ruthless in front of goal at all, there must have been a dozen games we totally dominated, created chances but still dropped points.

I joked earlier in the season but if Colin nish in his pomp played for this team he would be on about 40 goals this season. (For all nish's faults, and there were plenty, he never wasted many good chances)....scared to think how many riordan, goc or Killen would have scored.

I can't make up my mind about Cummings, I never think he's played particularly well but you can't argue with his scoring record. My gut feeling is he'd struggle to make the step up but his scoring record and his age would suggest otherwise.

andrew70
21-05-2015, 04:58 PM

Statistics can interpreted in many ways. On the face of it they are prolific strikers but with a more clinical edge they'd be scoring 1 in 3 or 4 chances.

There's always ways to improve as an individual and as a collective unit.

I think people look at criticism as instantly negative but my point is more about looking at areas where we can improve and become more efficient.

Which we undoubtedly need to in order to win promotion and be able to cope with the expectations in the Premiership.

number9dream
21-05-2015, 05:43 PM
if Oxley heads back south .....would we have any interested in the QoS goalie ....thought he was good against the peepsl from greyskull...not sure but he may be free in the summer

Zander Clark belongs to St Johnstone. Two seasons on loan at Palmerston.

J-C
21-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Strikers rely on the midfield getting the ball to them, when this happened we scored 3-4 goals a game, unfortunately we have too many games where the midfield faff around and are not direct enough.

andrew70
21-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Strikers rely on the midfield getting the ball to them, when this happened we scored 3-4 goals a game, unfortunately we have too many games where the midfield faff around and are not direct enough.

Agree with this to an extent also. Although I'd suggest that the whilst the product from the midfielders has on occasion been awry the strikers should also be well aware that they have missed numerous good opportunities and often go missing through large spells of games.

Holistically we are a work in progress, to get the right blend we will need to shed some players and despite the obvious sentiments getting in the way with some players, Stubbs has to make moves to the benefit of the football club.

Do they feel they can continue to improve Cummings? Has his hold up play etc improved this season, is he listening?

Do they really feel Stevenson is the best left back they can realistically get?

Can Liam Craig and Scott Robertson justify new contracts?

Lots of variables and just because we should like players or feel an allegiance to players doesn't mean we shouldn't always be looking to improve.