PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Salt N Sauzee
15-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Looks like Stubbs is interested in keeping a hold of Boyle. Good move IMO, I'd take him over Harris if we had to choose.

Apologies if someone's already posted this:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-keen-to-keep-boyle-at-easter-road-1-3773585

Smartie
15-05-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm pleased to hear Stubbs is interested.

He'll be a big loss for us, he was really coming onto a game.

I hope we get him tied down - there's something about him that reminds of Didier Agathe. He was only here for a short spell and we forget that he missed open goals and had his dodgy moments because he went on to do a lot for us in his short time here (then doing a lot at Celtic). He had a few rough edges too but Celtic managed to get a lot out of him.

Sounds like it was quite a bad injury though if it is going to keep him out of much of pre-season and possibly the start of next season.

Out of interest, who would pay for this surgery? Us, as he's on loan with us? Or Dundee? Or has he had a Cummings done to him that has seen him have to find his own medical treatment?

Brightside
15-05-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm pleased to hear Stubbs is interested.

He'll be a big loss for us, he was really coming onto a game.

I hope we get him tied down - there's something about him that reminds of Didier Agathe. He was only here for a short spell and we forget that he missed open goals and had his dodgy moments because he went on to do a lot for us in his short time here (then doing a lot at Celtic). He had a few rough edges too but Celtic managed to get a lot out of him.

Sounds like it was quite a bad injury though if it is going to keep him out of much of pre-season and possibly the start of next season.

Out of interest, who would pay for this surgery? Us, as he's on loan with us? Or Dundee? Or has he had a Cummings done to him that has seen him have to find his own medical treatment?

He's out of contract with Dundee. In theory he pays for it.

PeterboroHibee
15-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Is it possible we may be paying for it if we are interested in keeping him?

Im pleased Stubbs is keen on him though. He brings a real threat to the team with his pace, and he can play in a few positions. Hopefully we get something sorted!

Salt N Sauzee
15-05-2015, 09:15 AM
He's out of contract with Dundee. In theory he pays for it.

I'm sure he's under contract at Dundee until the end of the season? (2 more weeks)

nellio
15-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Injury happened whilist he was under contract with Dundee so I would imagine they would have a duty of care to him to provide treamment and surgery if required.

Fergus52
15-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Looks like Stubbs is interested in keeping a hold of Boyle. Good move IMO, I'd take him over Harris if we had to choose.

Apologies if someone's already posted this:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-keen-to-keep-boyle-at-easter-road-1-3773585

Why does everyone keep saying this?

It's not one or the other when Harris has another 2 years left on his deal with us.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-05-2015, 11:32 AM
I would imagine we'll pick up the tap for any surgery and that will be reflected in the offer we make him. He's definitely worth a punt. I'd give him an 18 month contract but think we'll offer him 12 months

calumhibee1
15-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Why does everyone keep saying this?

It's not one or the other when Harris has another 2 years left on his deal with us.

Because they're both very similar players and there's possibly not room for the 2 of them in the squad. I'd take Boyle every time. :agree:

Salt N Sauzee
15-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Because they're both very similar players and there's possibly not room for the 2 of them in the squad. I'd take Boyle every time. :agree:

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say :aok:

Smartie
15-05-2015, 11:57 AM

If we don't already then I think we should make space in the squad for more than one pacy, direct wide man who can take players on and who can also play up front if required.

We've not seen the best of Harris of late, that is for sure. And it may turn out that he is not the answer for us long-term. But we need strength in depth throughout the squad and for me our weakest area right now is on the wings - players who can beat a fullback and get a cross over. We've got round this weakness this season by playing the diamond and the 3 at the back, but it would be another string to our bow if we could have wide players who could do this (even if it turns out to be neither Boyle nor Harris).

Big_Franck
15-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Disappointed to hear that the injury is worse than we first thought. He was starting to become a big player for us, he gave us something that we sorely lack in the rest of the squad.

I'd hope we offer him a contract and that he's back at the start of next season where he can hopefully take up where he left off.

PeterboroHibee
15-05-2015, 12:17 PM

I dont think they are really that similar. Also, as Boyle is probably the only player we have who would naturally be in a wide midfield role, Id say we have room for Harris (and arguably more options depending on how Stubbs wants us to play).

Iain G
15-05-2015, 12:27 PM
I dont think they are really that similar. Also, as Boyle is probably the only player we have who would naturally be in a wide midfield role, Id say we have room for Harris (and arguably more options depending on how Stubbs wants us to play).

A confident Harris would give us another option on the left side of midfield when we go three at the back or further forward he can offer us something different to other players we have.

Fergus52
15-05-2015, 04:37 PM

Similar cause they can both play out wide? that's about it.

I think you'll find most successful football squads have more than one winger.

O'Rourke3
15-05-2015, 04:49 PM
A confident Harris would give us another option on the left side of midfield when we go three at the back or further forward he can offer us something different to other players we have.
Speaking with a Dundee ST holder earlier in the week. After a decent start Harris seemed to lose confidence and he's not too bothered if he returns to us.

Grateful for KT and despite his frailties, they are happy with JMcP too.

CraigHibee
16-05-2015, 11:25 AM
i'd be happy if we signed boyle, he has a good bit of pace and causes problems for the opposition :aok:

superfurryhibby
16-05-2015, 11:55 AM

He is almost totally right footed, in fact quite embarrassingly so. Defenders soon worked this out, after his initial impact. I don't think I ever recall him beating a man on his return from injury, and playing him out of position would not help his confidence.

dp00
16-05-2015, 10:41 PM
No matter if he stays or goes I'd hope hibs do the right thing and let him use our facilities to get himself fit again .. After all he was injured playing for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
18-05-2015, 12:19 PM
I think a lot will depend on what division we are in next season.

Big_Franck
18-05-2015, 12:29 PM
I think a lot will depend on what division we are in next season.

I've heard other people say this as well, but i'd sign him regardless of what division we are in. IMO he's shown to be hungry to improve since he joined us, and is still young so could well develop into a player capable of doing well in the Premiership.

If we are still in the championship then I can't see why we wouldn't sign him to be honest. He won't be on a big wage and he's shown that he can hurt teams in this league.

Has anyone heard how his operation went last week?

dmc1875
18-05-2015, 02:32 PM
I would sign him regardless. He's young has all the attributes to succeed inc work ethic and Hes improved a lot since he joined us .

portycabbage
18-05-2015, 07:32 PM
I would sign him regardless. He's young has all the attributes to succeed inc work ethic and Hes improved a lot since he joined us .

Me too. He's even made a few important defensive contributions, like the clearance in the derby I think it was.