PDA

View Full Version : You couldn't make it up.....

MyJo
14-05-2015, 12:52 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-chief-neil-doncaster-admits-5693335

16 team league is suddenly a good idea after telling us for years and years it wouldn't work.

plan a has failed, plan b is looking shaky so the "get sevco to the premiership" team are setting the wheels in motion on plan c just incase.

Steve20
14-05-2015, 12:59 PM
One of the options is a 10 team league. No thanks.

Haymaker
14-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Not a surprise. Saw this coming a while ago.

Jim44
14-05-2015, 01:11 PM
One of the options is a 10 team league. No thanks.

This format would probably exclude Hearts, Hibs and or Sevco, so I don't think there's any mileage in it.

DH1875
14-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Aye, but would it be in place in time for next season?

Mikey09
14-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Maybe the new sponsor has had a say in this. Give us a 16 team league with Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers and we will sponsor it. Just a guess.

Craig_HFC
14-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Maybe the new sponsor has had a say in this. Give us a 16 team league with Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers and we will sponsor it. Just a guess.

Safe bet.

Get it?

Mikey09
14-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Safe bet.

Get it?

Well... You tried. :greengrin

scoopyboy
14-05-2015, 01:40 PM

It would be if we ko the cream buns, otherwise no.

easty
14-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Whether or not this is a ploy to get the Rangers back into the top division.....I don't like the SPL as it is and there must be a better way to have it set up. The split is rubbish.

J-C
14-05-2015, 02:07 PM
It would be if we ko the cream buns, otherwise no.

Not really Scoops, I think missing Hibs for another season will be a big loss for the SPFL, we have a great away support and with a new TV deal coming, we need all the big derbies to get as much cash as possible.

Hannah_hfc
14-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I see the DR headline adds " and it's not to help Rangers get back up"

Aye right then, someone needs to tell Doncaster we weren't born yesterday.

Who decides the extra teams to go down if they make it a 10 team?

jacomo
14-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Donkey says it's unlikely.

jacomo
14-05-2015, 03:52 PM

I think there would be more of a push to get it in place this summer if that were the case.

By the way, this new sponsorship deal that Donkey has negotiated is only for two years - and it took him two years to get it. Not great.

Nando™
14-05-2015, 04:05 PM
The 10-team idea is never going to happen. It's only part of the story to give the illusion that they're also considering something other than a 16-team set up to bring the Huns back ASAP.

Mikey09
14-05-2015, 10:54 PM
I dunno. I really think the new sponsors want there old firm games ASAP so in my opinion this 16 team league will be pushed through IF the Rangers don't make it up via the play offs. If they do go up absolutely nothing will change and it will be put to bed for good as they will have there 4 old firm games....

lord bunberry
14-05-2015, 11:02 PM
If QOS put the Hun out at the weekend it will be on the agenda on Monday morning

silverhibee
14-05-2015, 11:07 PM
If QOS put the Hun out at the weekend it will be on the agenda on Monday morning

:agree:

First thing.

greenlex
15-05-2015, 02:37 AM
I'm for it as long as it's play each other home and away and Gertrude of the split. Keep the play offs and maybe even extend them. Two leagues of 16 or even 18 is the way forward.

davcar
15-05-2015, 06:01 AM
The timing off this stinks, but IMHO but the bigger league with only two fixtures against each half of the "old firm" is about the only way Scottish football can break the duopoly off winning the championship! I am old enough to remember Utd and the Sheep winning our top league in the 80's and some before then, unfortunately so many fans nowadays have only ever seen one off the bigots lifting the league title. Take this season with financial restrictions both ourselves and the pubs dwellers finished above Sevco, when was the last time that happened? To stop the Glasgow two (Celtic mainly) romping the title indefinitely this has to happen, yes they may get less TV money but bring them back into line with the rest of us and we may see outside challenges to the title from teams out with the bigot bros.

CallumLaidlaw
15-05-2015, 06:11 AM
I don't think it's as big a deal as some are making out. He was asked the question by a journalist and answered it. It's not like he's come out and announced that this is being put in place

bingo70
15-05-2015, 06:12 AM
I like the split, gives teams something to play for all season. Well until the last few games but that's better than the season being over by September.

I saw a proposed league of 14 that split after 26 games then the teams played each other another two times. Obviously had its flaws as well but probably the best suggestion I've seen.

CallumLaidlaw
15-05-2015, 06:54 AM
I still don't get why an 18 team league doesn't get talked about. That would make the most sense. And the top 6 in the championship this season wouldn't be out of place with the teams in the prem this year

bingo70
15-05-2015, 07:01 AM
I still don't get why an 18 team league doesn't get talked about. That would make the most sense. And the top 6 in the championship this season wouldn't be out of place with the teams in the prem this year

Because the top teams wouldn't play each other enough and that's what the tv companies want.

There would also be a lot of meaningless games for the majority of the league but I suppose other countries manage to deal with that ok.

CentreLine
15-05-2015, 07:16 AM
I like the split, gives teams something to play for all season. Well until the last few games but that's better than the season being over by September.

I saw a proposed league of 14 that split after 26 games then the teams played each other another two times. Obviously had its flaws as well but probably the best suggestion I've seen.

Personally I think the split has had its day. I think the play-offs should be increased to a point where six of the clubs are in the relegation zone, 2 relegated automatically and four having to play for their top league status. For me that would ensure that mid league teams still had something to play for to the end if the season and keep interest going. If clubs find themselves in the small gap where they are not threatened and are unlikely to make Europe they will still be playing teams who are.

lucky
15-05-2015, 07:19 AM
A bigger league is needed as the present format of teams playing each other 4 times a season is drab. If it helps Rangers or even ourselves who cares this discussion is around the future of our game not just individual clubs

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2015, 07:20 AM
An 18 team league with 2 going down and a play off between the 3rd and 4th team in the Championship to play the 3rd bottom team in the SPL.

Should keep games at the bottom interesting, and of course further up you'd have the battle for Europe and the title.

Nando™
15-05-2015, 09:08 AM
I think giving a Premiership team the opportunity to stay up against the lower league play-off winners is silly, and contributes to keeping football in this country stale. Like us last season for instance, I'd have us relegated on the spot, no last-ditch chances. It guarantees a change of 2 teams every single year.

People moaned for years about having only 1 team relegated every year, and I agree, it's extremely boring.

16 or 18 teams, 3 down every year, constantly freshens up the competitors.

J-C
15-05-2015, 09:27 AM
An 18 team league with 2 going down and a play off between the 3rd and 4th team in the Championship to play the 3rd bottom team in the SPL.

Should keep games at the bottom interesting, and of course further up you'd have the battle for Europe and the title.

What about 2 relegated, 1st in championship automatic with 2nd/3rd/4th/5th in play offs like England to get the extra spot, this would put the excitement onto the leagues below.

pontius pilate
15-05-2015, 09:31 AM
16 team league with 2 automatic relegation 1 automatic promotion and a play off to see who else Who else gets promotion

Andy74
15-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I think its been pretty clear over the years that there's not much difference in the top half of the second tier and most of the top tier. A bigger league has always made more sense regardless of whether it helps us Rangers, or whoever. These teams are all good enough to be playing in the top league.

Blaster
15-05-2015, 09:39 AM
16 team league with 2 automatic relegation 1 automatic promotion and a play off to see who else Who else gets promotion

That's the one for me

I would still split top 8 bottom 8 to give 37 fixtures. The top 4 in each get 4 home games/3 away games. Bottom 4 teams 3 home/4 away

Everyone guaranteed minimum 18 home games.

ManBearPig
15-05-2015, 10:33 AM
It all comes down to how many Rangers sellick games can we put on telly. We should be looking at re-marketing the whole of Scottish football maybe as summer league with 16/18 teams playing each other twice making the derbies more important. Plus summer would easier to market it towards sky who don't have summer international tournament coverage making us only boys in town. Need a true salesman in charge of marketing not a prick like Doncaster

ManBearPig
15-05-2015, 10:42 AM
We need the salesman to market to prove the spl is more than Rangers and Celtic so as a whole more attractive. Looking to the future it would also have a robust league should any of the 'bigger clubs' get relegated. The league has a lot to offer history,rivalries teams relatively close of standard allowing for close games week in week out, some good stadiums these are what we should be selling.

Onion
15-05-2015, 11:20 AM

:agree: Makes complete sense.

J-C
15-05-2015, 12:12 PM

You basically said word for word my post but posted yours 4 mins after mine :confused:

Just Alf
15-05-2015, 12:53 PM
What about 2 relegated, 1st in championship automatic with 2nd/3rd/4th/5th in play offs like England to get the extra spot, this would put the excitement onto the leagues below.

No, I'd prefer either a 16 or 18 team league with the bottom 2 relegated and the 1st in championship with automatic promotion and the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th in play offs to get the extra spot. That would work :agree:

:greengrin

superfurryhibby
15-05-2015, 01:16 PM
It's clear that the fans want reform. It's also clear to all that there is little to choose between the top 4-5 championship sides and the Bottom half of the SPL. A bigger league is needed, no questions.

The issue is whether the loss of the 4 x yearly bigger games and the subsequent hit with the TV money matters? Ultimately, what difference does it make to us as fans?

The traditionalist in me says that the game will survive and still be watched. Wages would be down, maybe that would mean an emphasis on younger players and scouting your own talent. Effectively just like it used to be. The OF would be bigger, by virtue of crowds and other revenue streams, but I suspect the gap would narrow financially? Surely they benefitted more from the TV and sponsorship monies.

Personally, in an off the cuff way and not dwelling too much on it, I think **** the lot of it. Football, 3pm Saturday KO, end off!

Canon Hannan
15-05-2015, 01:24 PM
A 16 team League is what the fans want. I prefer 18 myself. It seems strange that this is coming to light as The Rangers are not guaranteed promotion.
There is no way surely they can re-structure in 2 months? Maybe wrong.
18 team league would give non Old Firm teams a chance as the games v them would be reduced.

jdships
15-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Good post IMHO :thumbsup:
Too simple for Doncaster and Co : easy to manage , no boring playing each other four times plus potential cup ties , ( Celtic V Dundee Utd = seven games !!)
This would be my perfect set up !!

greenlex
15-05-2015, 07:56 PM
It's clear that the fans want reform. It's also clear to all that there is little to choose between the top 4-5 championship sides and the Bottom half of the SPL. A bigger league is needed, no questions.

The issue is whether the loss of the 4 x yearly bigger games and the subsequent hit with the TV money matters? Ultimately, what difference does it make to us as fans?

The traditionalist in me says that the game will survive and still be watched. Wages would be down, maybe that would mean an emphasis on younger players and scouting your own talent. Effectively just like it used to be. The OF would be bigger, by virtue of crowds and other revenue streams, but I suspect the gap would narrow financially? Surely they benefitted more from the TV and sponsorship monies.

Personally, in an off the cuff way and not dwelling too much on it, I think **** the lot of it. Football, 3pm Saturday KO, end off!
The TV money is decidedly average if even that. Tell them to bolt. More 3pm Sat kick offs. The only way you see it is to be there or highlights. Playing the Old Firm twice should bring them a wee bit closer to the rest of the Clubs and break the Duopoly and increase supporters through the gate. I see no losers here.