PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Szafer...a fervent Hibee... RIP

Dalkeith Boy
14-05-2015, 10:25 AM
For any of you that may remember my younger brother Matthew Szafer......a fervent Hibee!

http://turnerporter.permavita.com/site/MatthewSzafer.html?s=40

scuttle
14-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Sorry for your loss mate...RIP Mathew

JimBHibees
14-05-2015, 12:06 PM
RIP Matthew.

Thecat23
14-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Very sorry to read this.

RIP

gegs70
14-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Very sorry to hear that....RIP

Juice-Terry
14-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Very sad. All the best to you and your family.

Mon_the_cabbage
14-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I am really saddened to hear this news.

Matthew and I were great pals at St Mary's primary and then throughout our four years at St David's in Dalkeith. From the recent picture used in the obituary, he still retained that cheeky smile he had at school.

We shared some great laughs both in the classroom and after school when we would play as 14/15 year olds did in the seventies either on our bikes or getting up to mischief down “the cast” or “the railway”.
In school we shared a common leaning to the more technical subjects where metalwork and Techie drawing provided ample opportunities for the pair of us to misbehave.
One memory of this sticks out where we were able to drive the rest of the Techie Drawing class insane by constantly whistling the hit of the time Abba’s Dancing Queen every time the teacher (Old “Papa” Coyne) left the room. A constant barrage of pencils, rubbers rulers etc. did not deter us from our cause of winding the rest of the class up. As we probably kept this up for a large portion of a term, I can perhaps understand how annoying we must have been!

On leaving school, Matthew to Parsons Peebles (I think?) And me to the Bank, we still kept in touch occasionally and would talk about Hibs, cars and motorbikes. He would proudly show of his mini and the latest modification he’d done and I’d show off my latest motorbike.

After he emigrated we did lose touch until 1 day in the early nineties he arrived out of the blue on my doorstep having arranged the visit the day before with my wife. That was a very good night!!!!

I did make contact later on through Hibs net after John Campbell passed on my contact details to you but as happens so often, that petered out sadly.

I hope sharing these memories has triggered some of your own about the young Matthew I knew and I would like to also pass on my sincerest condolences to you and your family.

RIP Matthew

Gavin

The Harp
14-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Very nice tribute to your old schoolmate, Mon-the-cabbage.
I'm sure it will be much appreciated by Matthew's family. Well done!
Sorry to hear the sad news, never good to hear of the passing of a fellow Hibee, even those who we never knew.
Condolences to Matthew's family and friends.

RIP

O'Rourke3
14-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Condolences to the family. Very sorry to hear your news.

Jonnyboy
14-05-2015, 07:01 PM
I was lucky enough to spend an enjoyable few hours with the Szafer brothers in Toronto and was taken by their obvious love of Hibernian FC, despite living thousands of miles away.

Matt was a lovely fella and I truly am saddened by his passing

Saturday Boy
14-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Very sad news. I knew Matthew through my brother (Mon_the_cabbage) and as he said, they were a pair of young scamps back in the day.

I think the last time I met him was when he was home from Canada on holiday, when we all staggered back to Bonnyrigg after way too many beers in the Justinlees. A great fun guy and sadly taken so young at 52.

My my thoughts are with the family. RIP.

One Day
14-05-2015, 08:30 PM

Matthew and I were great pals at St Mary's primary and then throughout our four years at St David's in Dalkeith. From the recent picture used in the obituary, he still retained that cheeky smile he had at school.

We shared some great laughs both in the classroom and after school when we would play as 14/15 year olds did in the seventies either on our bikes or getting up to mischief down “the cast” or “the railway”.
In school we shared a common leaning to the more technical subjects where metalwork and Techie drawing provided ample opportunities for the pair of us to misbehave.
One memory of this sticks out where we were able to drive the rest of the Techie Drawing class insane by constantly whistling the hit of the time Abba’s Dancing Queen every time the teacher (Old “Papa” Coyne) left the room. A constant barrage of pencils, rubbers rulers etc. did not deter us from our cause of winding the rest of the class up. As we probably kept this up for a large portion of a term, I can perhaps understand how annoying we must have been!

On leaving school, Matthew to Parsons Peebles (I think?) And me to the Bank, we still kept in touch occasionally and would talk about Hibs, cars and motorbikes. He would proudly show of his mini and the latest modification he’d done and I’d show off my latest motorbike.

After he emigrated we did lose touch until 1 day in the early nineties he arrived out of the blue on my doorstep having arranged the visit the day before with my wife. That was a very good night!!!!

I did make contact later on through Hibs net after John Campbell passed on my contact details to you but as happens so often, that petered out sadly.

I hope sharing these memories has triggered some of your own about the young Matthew I knew and I would like to also pass on my sincerest condolences to you and your family.

RIP Matthew

Gavin

Nice post........... RIP

steakbake
14-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Nice post........... RIP

Agreed.

Tinribs
15-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Sounded like a very nice man, and some good stories from members here to back that up.

Sincere commiserations to the Szafer family at this difficult time.

R.I.P

JimBHibees
15-05-2015, 12:21 PM

RIP Matthew

Gavin

Really nice tribute to your friend. Well done. RIP Matt.

Dalkeith Boy
16-05-2015, 10:34 AM

RIP Matthew

Gavin

Great memories Gavin and many thanks for sharing. Yes it was Parsons Peebles. It is sad that contact petered out. The leukemia gave him a miserable last five years but like you I cling to the better times and will treasure the memories with my little brother. Andy

Dalkeith Boy
16-05-2015, 10:50 AM
I was lucky enough to spend an enjoyable few hours with the Szafer brothers in Toronto and was taken by their obvious love of Hibernian FC, despite living thousands of miles away.

Matt was a lovely fella and I truly am saddened by his passing

Many thanks John, yes we are solid Hibeez for sure! Andy