PDA

View Full Version : SPFL Get a New Sponsor

Nutmegged
13-05-2015, 03:02 AM
Just reading that Ladbrokes is apparently signed sealed and delivered with the SPFL for £2.25m per year for 3/4 years - it makes it the biggest per year deal we've ever signed.

That being said we did get £2m per year with Clydesdale Bank which was exclusive to 12 clubs while Barrs covered the other 30 so that in all likelihood would have been more lucrative

Good News though, £2m more to the pot although the irony of vilifying Footballers for gambling on Football then using Betting firms to support our game is not lost on me

Nameless
13-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Bookies are as much a part of Scottish football as alcohol excess and bigotry, so this seems to be the perfect match.

Hibernian Verse
13-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Bookies are as much a part of Scottish football as alcohol excess and bigotry, so this seems to be the perfect match.

Yes gambling and bigotry are on the same level...:aok:

lyonhibs
13-05-2015, 08:27 AM

If I put on a £2 accumulator every week in my student days, does that make me an alcoholic bigot???

I think we should be told :boo hoo:

Keith_M
13-05-2015, 09:42 AM
If I put on a £2 accumulator every week in my student days, does that make me an alcoholic bigot???

No, it just makes you as BAD as an alcoholic bigot.

Do try to keep up!

:wink:

Hank Schrader
13-05-2015, 10:04 AM

No :confused::rolleyes:

lyonhibs
13-05-2015, 10:34 AM
No :confused::rolleyes:

Potential whoooosh moment here??

Jdawg
13-05-2015, 11:13 AM
We are sponsored by a betting company as are a lot of clubs. Don't see the big deal if the league is too.

Malthibby
13-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Gambling's an intrinsic part of the government's health drive - if we spend all our money on gambling
there's none left for drinking and fags - ergo healthier population. And if there's none left for food either,
that sorts the obsesity problem as well.
Cheers; mine's an Accumulator.
GG

lyonhibs
13-05-2015, 12:23 PM
No, it just makes you as BAD as an alcoholic bigot.

Do try to keep up!

:wink:

Gonnae stop stalking me around the messageboard being a massive pedant...........

:greengrin

Matty_Jack04
13-05-2015, 02:06 PM

This is is how the prize money is divided up

Keith_M
13-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Gonnae stop stalking me around the messageboard being a massive pedant...........

:greengrin

Naw!

:na na:

Deansy
13-05-2015, 03:24 PM
The GFA announcing a sponsor for next season means things have just got tougher for QoS, us and whatever 11th SPL team - expect a tsunami of 'HONEST' mistakes going the Hun's way now !!

Nameless
13-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Yes gambling and bigotry are on the same level...:aok:
Who's talking levels? Betting, booze and bigotry are Scottish football in a nut shell.

Nameless
13-05-2015, 03:47 PM

No, but only if you have The Rangers AND Celtic on you slip. If you only bet on one, you're a bigot.

Sylar
13-05-2015, 06:14 PM

This is is how the prize money is divided up

Oh to see what would happen if the American financial sporting model were adopted, whereby the greatest benefits go to those who languish and struggle in order to try and balance the competition.

By giving Celtic that kind of money every year, how does it enable a fair competitive market?

emerald green
13-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Oh to see what would happen if the American financial sporting model were adopted, whereby the greatest benefits go to those who languish and struggle in order to try and balance the competition.

By giving Celtic that kind of money every year, how does it enable a fair competitive market?

:agree: The difference between what 1st in the Premiership gets and what bottom of League 2 gets is ridiculous.

Michael
13-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Wouldn't that just encourage teams to be rubbish?

Eyrie
13-05-2015, 07:06 PM
:agree: The difference between what 1st in the Premiership gets and what bottom of League 2 gets is ridiculous.
I can understand that to an extent, but what annoys me is that the team which wins the top flight gets double the amount paid to the team that finishes four places behind them in fifth. Oh, and gets into the lucrative Champions League.

Onceinawhile
13-05-2015, 07:47 PM

Towards the end of the season possibly, but teams will want to avoid relegation and players/fans will still want titles regardless of cash.

California-Hibs
14-05-2015, 12:37 AM

:agree: Thats exactly what happens. It's a flawed system. I have a friend at work who's a LA Lakers fan, and they were terrible all season, and when it was established that they couldn't make the NBA Playoffs, they were in his option, 'throwing games to get a better draft pick'.

He'd come into work and i'd try and give him a bit of banter about their recent loss, only to be greeted with a smile and a complete air of not being bothered in the slightest, and actually being happy, as it is better for them in the end. He admits it's a completely flawed system and that you have teams not trying a leg all the time because of this.

The exact same thing would happen in our league. Your St Mirrens, Killies, Partick etc, would be quite happy to finish low when it looks all but sure they'd miss out on the top 6, and the effort levels and quality of the games would drop dramatically.

So it's a big no to the American system for me.

More evenly split is the way to go.

lord bunberry
14-05-2015, 01:12 AM
:agree: Thats exactly what happens. It's a flawed system. I have a friend at work who's a LA Lakers fan, and they were terrible all season, and when it was established that they couldn't make the NBA Playoffs, they were in his option, 'throwing games to get a better draft pick'.

He'd come into work and i'd try and give him a bit of banter about their recent loss, only to be greeted with a smile and a complete air of not being bothered in the slightest, and actually being happy, as it is better for them in the end. He admits it's a completely flawed system and that you have teams not trying a leg all the time because of this.

The exact same thing would happen in our league. Your St Mirrens, Killies, Partick etc, would be quite happy to finish low when it looks all but sure they'd miss out on the top 6, and the effort levels and quality of the games would drop dramatically.

So it's a big no to the American system for me.

More evenly split is the way to go.
They don't have relegation in the U.S. though do they?

greenlex
14-05-2015, 01:50 AM
Should just split it evenly throughout the whole league structure.

Nameless
14-05-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm sure the money in Germany is split much more evenly than pretty much every other league. The consequence being a much more competitive league. I know Bayern are generally top of the pops, but in the last 10 - 15 years there have been a fair few different winners, and a lot of different sides finishing second and third.

PatHead
14-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Prize money shows how essential it is to get into the Premiership next season.

California-Hibs
14-05-2015, 11:46 PM
They don't have relegation in the U.S. though do they?

No, they don't.

Haymaker
15-05-2015, 12:19 AM
No, they don't.

Exactly. So you can be pony for many years and scoop up the talent... And what?

Jim44
15-05-2015, 06:31 AM
A bit random and irrelevant maybe but I hate Ladbrokes. A few years back I had taken Wotherspoon to score the first goal. He duly did the business with a shot which took a strong deflection and after some debate was officially credited with the goal. All bookies paid out on the goal except Ladbrokes, the stadium bookies. I haven't given the cheating barstewards any money since. :-(

nellio
15-05-2015, 11:00 AM

Not sure it would work because of promotion relagation. Bottom placed team gets relegated and gets first pick? How would the transfer System work then?

nellio
15-05-2015, 11:01 AM
A bit random and irrelevant maybe but I hate Ladbrokes. A few years back I had taken Wotherspoon to score the first goal. He duly did the business with a shot which took a strong deflection and after some debate was officially credited with the goal. All bookies paid out on the goal except Ladbrokes, the stadium bookies. I haven't given the cheating barstewards any money since. :-(

Thats pretty poor. I would imagine a lot of bookies would pay you out of good faith and to keep the customer happy.