PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh rugby

hibees 7062
12-05-2015, 02:46 PM
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/s526x395/11054873_968666296484912_549818062752974740_n.jpg? oh=852e3ca2cabd2701780c25beac673f64&oe=55D92947 And the yams

Golden Bear
12-05-2015, 03:08 PM
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/s526x395/11054873_968666296484912_549818062752974740_n.jpg? oh=852e3ca2cabd2701780c25beac673f64&oe=55D92947 And the yams

Given that they play a lot of their fixtures on a Friday night, I can't see this going ahead as the pitch would not stand up to the extra wear and tear.

LancsHibs
12-05-2015, 03:09 PM
:fuming:this would destroy our playing surface!! Suppose the income would come in handy though!

Haymaker
12-05-2015, 03:11 PM
:fuming:this would destroy our playing surface!! Suppose the income would come in handy though!

Unless the playing surface is being replaced with the weave and rubber style they have in the BPL? Could be part of the deal.

Pete
12-05-2015, 03:12 PM
How will moving "accommodate hearts"?

...and where the **** are these cheats getting the money to build a new stand?? Maybe they should have used all these millions they wasted on redevelopment instead of a few tainted trophies.

JimBHibees
12-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Given that they play a lot of their fixtures on a Friday night, I can't see this going ahead as the pitch would not stand up to the extra wear and tear.

The pitch is bad as it is.

Golden Bear
12-05-2015, 03:21 PM
The pitch is bad as it is.

But it would ten times worse if we allowed 30 marauding gorillas to tramp all over it less than 24 hours before the kick off time for a normal Saturday fixture.

JimBHibees
12-05-2015, 03:24 PM
But it would ten times worse if we allowed 30 marauding gorillas to tramp all over it less than 24 hours before the kick off time for a normal Saturday fixture.

Indeed.

Oscar T Grouch
12-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Solution, hertz obviously don't want to lose the income over a season if they redevelop the death trap stand, so move Edinburgh Rugby in there, 10k stadium will more than do them. The hertz can move to the soulless shell that is muddyfield, letting a good part of the 400k get their ST. Hibs are left in their modern stadium to thrive, with no egg chasers or puddledrinkers in sight. Is that a good idea or is it too simple?:greengrin

JimBHibees
12-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Solution, hertz obviously don't want to lose the income over a season if they redevelop the death trap stand, so move Edinburgh Rugby in there, 10k stadium will more than do them. The hertz can move to the soulless shell that is muddyfield, letting a good part of the 400k get their ST. Hibs are left in their modern stadium to thrive, with no egg chasers or puddledrinkers in sight. Is that a good idea or is it too simple?:greengrin

Perfect solution. :greengrin

since90plustwo
12-05-2015, 03:45 PM
The pitch is am obvious concern but if the clubs canm come up with a solution i would be all for it. Would be a great source of revenue !

Mikey09
12-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Erm... No thanks. Move along now egg chasers and plough up someone else's pitch. :aok:

Steve20
12-05-2015, 03:48 PM
"The possible relocating could accommodate Hearts at BT Murrayfield, according to reports. The Jambos want to redevlop Tynecastle, particularly the main stand and are considering playing elsewhere for a season."

The way the article came across was that Edinburgh Rugby could play at Easter Road, which would allow Hearts to play at Murrayfield. I assume it's not intended to be that as I can't see any reason we should be messing up our pitch so Hearts can have somewhere to play while their midden is getting redeveloped.

Keith_M
12-05-2015, 03:52 PM

I'd go with that but the pitch at the PBS is far too small.

Pete
12-05-2015, 03:58 PM
The Hearts bit sounds like it's been shoehorned in there.

Hearts need the rugby side to move in order for them to be accommodated...yet we can accommodate edinburgh rugby? Doesn't make sense.

12-05-2015, 03:59 PM
I heard a rumour about Edinburgh Rugby using Easter Rd a while ago and I was told that part of the deal, if it was to go ahead, would be that it was Edin Rugby's responsibility to keep the pitch in a decent condition whether that be paying for getting it relayed, using those big lamps or whatever else.

If that turned out to be the case then I'd be happy for hibs to get the extra revenue.

JimBHibees
12-05-2015, 04:11 PM
"The possible relocating could accommodate Hearts at BT Murrayfield, according to reports. The Jambos want to redevlop Tynecastle, particularly the main stand and are considering playing elsewhere for a season."

The way the article came across was that Edinburgh Rugby could play at Easter Road, which would allow Hearts to play at Murrayfield. I assume it's not intended to be that as I can't see any reason we should be messing up our pitch so Hearts can have somewhere to play while their midden is getting redeveloped.

Doesnt really make sense given that Murrayfield has just had a brand new pitch put in which incorporates both grass and artificial.

Gatecrasher
12-05-2015, 04:12 PM
If this happens I personally wouldn't mind, especially if the pitch upkeep (which it needs to be in good condition for the way we play) part is true which will save us a lot of cash.

greenginger
12-05-2015, 04:23 PM
http://www.zinescene.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MOBpurpose.htm

Here is Chris ( pieman ) Robinson's take on the PBS and why it was not fit for purpose 12 years ago.

hfc rd
12-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Don't know if this is true but don't Wigan Athletic & Hull City allow their local rugby clubs to use their stadium?

If we're to generate extra income, then I give the thumbs up. My biggest worry though is the potential state of the pitch unless Edinburgh Rugby reassure us that they will take care of the pitch and have it in very mint condition for our games.

bingo70
12-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Don't know if this is true but don't Wigan Athletic & Hull City allow their local rugby clubs to use their stadium?

If we're to generate extra income, then I give the thumbs up. My biggest worry though is the potential state of the pitch unless Edinburgh Rugby reassure us that they will take care of the pitch and have it in very mint condition for our games.

Hull probably do as it's a community stadium, reading do as well, neither of them have issues with their pitch so I assume they've got one of the new type pitches I've seen people speak about.

Wigan will share their pitch and it's a mess so I assume they've just got a normal grass pitch.

LaMotta
12-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Didn't work the last time Edinburgh Rugby tried this, so dont see why they want to go back again to Easter Road.

With an average crowd of somewhere between 3 and 5 thousand, they really need a much smaller stadium.

easty
12-05-2015, 05:21 PM
When I was a bairn I had a wee unit thing that you could play pool on one side, then flip over the lid and play table hockey. Can we no get a revolving pitch for Easter road? One side for football, one for egg chasing.

Baader
12-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Missed their chance I'd say. Surely the time to do this was under Butcher when the ball wasnt in contact with the pitch very much...

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Would they not play home games on the Friday's before we play away games? That would mean one game a week on the grass.

Waxy
12-05-2015, 06:47 PM
When it comes to the crunch. The yams will always be held back by their wee ground. They basically MUST move, but the longer they leave it the further out they'll have to build as all the potential building areas are taken up by other business.Tynecastle could end up being the death of them.

weonlywon6-2
12-05-2015, 07:14 PM
No matter what, this will ruin the pitch and the money involved surely isn't great as Edinburgh Rugby don't get big crowds
they should move the rugby to a club ground and forget football stadiums

bingo70
12-05-2015, 07:18 PM
No matter what, this will ruin the pitch and the money involved surely isn't great as Edinburgh Rugby don't get big crowds

It's not no matter what though as there's examples of rugby teams sharing pitches down south abd it not effecting the pitch (hull and reading), it appears there's pitches that can cope with both sports being played.

Its the sru that would be paying for it and I doubt it would be relative to the size of the crowds they currently get.

Haymaker
12-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Unless the costs are being paid by the SRU? Pretty sure other sports governing bodies help their teams. ECB defo do down here.

Scouse Hibee
12-05-2015, 07:44 PM
It works for Hull,Reading & Wigan.

CockneyRebel
12-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Hull probably do as it's a community stadium, reading do as well, neither of them have issues with their pitch so I assume they've got one of the new type pitches I've seen people speak about.

Wigan will share their pitch and it's a mess so I assume they've just got a normal grass pitch.

Are you a lip reader?

iwasthere1972
12-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Well it seemed to work last season for Terry the Butcher. :aok:

The_Horde
12-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Clubs with more money than us who probably have part synthetic pitches and use technology financially miles away from us.

LaMotta
12-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Clubs with more money than us who probably have part synthetic pitches and use technology financially miles away from us.

If this deal was to go through that Technology wouldn't be miles away from us, as mentioned already by someone the nice rugger chaps would be paying for it.

Scouse Hibee
12-05-2015, 08:31 PM

Financed in some part by the rental of their stadiums.

CB_NO3
12-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Ospreys also share with Swansea.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2015, 08:43 PM
I can't see any downside to this if they get the same pitch as Murrayfield. Celtic played on it and they said it was an excellent surface.

Bishop Hibee
12-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Happy with this if part of the deal is them paying to keep the pitch in good nick.

jabis
12-05-2015, 08:49 PM

Here is Chris ( pieman ) Robinson's take on the PBS and why it was not fit for purpose 12 years ago.

Sweet baby Jesus......number 5........that was 12years ago!!!!!

SunshineOnLeith
12-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Isn't the picture in the OP just some random post from Facebook?

hibees 7062
12-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Isn't the picture in the OP just some random post from Facebook?

Also random headlines in the Times , Scotsman and the Evening News

macd123
12-05-2015, 11:18 PM
It's not no matter what though as there's examples of rugby teams sharing pitches down south abd it not effecting the pitch (hull and reading), it appears there's pitches that can cope with both sports being played.

Its the sru that would be paying for it and I doubt it would be relative to the size of the crowds they currently get.

It would need a desso grassmaster pitch would actually make the surface better than it is now, even with the extra rugby matches. The only downside - it costs 800k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNiArKmJ10

Hibeesmad
12-05-2015, 11:34 PM
It would need a desso grassmaster pitch would actually make the surface better than it is now, even with the extra rugby matches. The only downside - it costs 800k!

If Edinburgh rugby are willing to cover those costs then they are more than welcome!

Tinribs
12-05-2015, 11:52 PM

And they can't even put a 1080p video on YouTube, aye, lets have their surface...:greengrin

cocopops1875
13-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Will the SRU not have the lamps already for Murrayfield ? So transporting them to ER may not be an issue

Salisbury Hibby
13-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Will the SRU not have the lamps already for Murrayfield ? So transporting them to ER may not be an issue
As long as Mr Petrie reads the leccy meter before and after their use

Geo_1875
13-05-2015, 07:05 AM

"The McLeod Street Stand is rapidly approaching a position where its Safety Certificate is under threat. Structural Engineers are concerned about the integrity due to corrosion of the internal steel beams.

The Stand itself does not conform with the Green Guide in terms of exit widths and evacuation times. The roof of the Stand, which is asbestos, has become very brittle and breaks and fragments on the rare occasions that balls land on the roof. Netting has been placed underneath this to protect spectators. The main seating deck is timber and therefore a higher risk for fire."

That was when the stand was around 90 years old. It's now over 100 years old.

Has time stood still for the last 12 years or have they secretly been making improvements to this obvious death-trap?

JimBHibees
13-05-2015, 10:36 AM
"The McLeod Street Stand is rapidly approaching a position where its Safety Certificate is under threat. Structural Engineers are concerned about the integrity due to corrosion of the internal steel beams.

The Stand itself does not conform with the Green Guide in terms of exit widths and evacuation times. The roof of the Stand, which is asbestos, has become very brittle and breaks and fragments on the rare occasions that balls land on the roof. Netting has been placed underneath this to protect spectators. The main seating deck is timber and therefore a higher risk for fire."

That was when the stand was around 90 years old. It's now over 100 years old.

Has time stood still for the last 12 years or have they secretly been making improvements to this obvious death-trap?

Quite simply incredible that this particular stand has been able to be full on a regular basis given that this was said 12 years ago.

martin1875
13-05-2015, 12:09 PM
If Edinburgh rugby are willing to cover those costs then they are more than welcome!

I heard somewhere that the SRU are skint. Having to get rid of their 7s sides - something like that. Can't imagine they've got a spare £800k to put a nice shiny new pitch down at Easter Rd.

LancashireHibby
13-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Hull and Wigan aren't great examples as rugby league is played during the summer and doesn't have the same wear on the pitch as rugby union because of the lack of mauls, contested scrums etc.

Swansea's pitch seems to cope fine with Ospreys, though Reading's isn't great these days, nor was Watford's when they shared with Saracens.

That said, the SRU will be saving an absolute packet by not having the costs of opening Murrayfield every week (if Hearts move there then they'll cover those costs rather than the SRU) so much of that money can be reinvested in to the ER pitch while we cream in the rent money, bar takings and the like.

If it makes financial sense and brings improvements to the pitch then go for it, I say.

liamh2202
13-05-2015, 01:17 PM
I heard somewhere that the SRU are skint. Having to get rid of their 7s sides - something like that. Can't imagine they've got a spare £800k to put a nice shiny new pitch down at Easter Rd.

Where does sru come into it? Excuse my limited knowledge of club rugby but are Edinburgh not a professional club, same as Glasgow? Would that not be like the sfa paying our bills?

Jamesie
13-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Where does sru come into it? Excuse my limited knowledge of club rugby but are Edinburgh not a professional club, same as Glasgow? Would that not be like the sfa paying our bills?

Both clubs are owned by the SRU though. Edinburgh once went down the road of private ownership for a short while, but thereafter came back into the realm of the SRU.

liamh2202
13-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Both clubs are owned by the SRU though. Edinburgh once went down the road of private ownership for a short while, but thereafter came back into the realm of the SRU.

Ah OK cheers for the info mate,,

Alfred E Newman
14-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Exactly. They could play at any of the club grounds in the city or even Meadowbank.

Galahibby
14-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Am I missing something? If Hibs and Edinburgh Rugby could both potentially 'share' Easter Road for home games, why couldn't Hearts and Edinburgh Rugby just share Murrayfield? :dunno:

MSK
15-05-2015, 06:02 AM
Am I missing something? If Hibs and Edinburgh Rugby could both potentially 'share' Easter Road for home games, why couldn't Hearts and Edinburgh Rugby just share Murrayfield? :dunno:Because Murrayfield is too big and lacks atmosphere, with crowds around 4000 they feel a smaller venue would work better.

Galahibby
15-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Because Murrayfield is too big and lacks atmosphere, with crowds around 4000 they feel a smaller venue would work better.

Surely one of the rugby grounds in Edinburgh would hold 4000 then? Netherdale holds 4000 so I would've thought at least a 2 or 3 of the Edinburgh teams would have similar sized or bigger?

MSK
15-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Surely one of the rugby grounds in Edinburgh would hold 4000 then? Netherdale holds 4000 so I would've thought at least a 2 or 3 of the Edinburgh teams would have similar sized or bigger?No idea mate, just remember reading about the crowd/atmosphere issue in the press

lord bunberry
15-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Surely one of the rugby grounds in Edinburgh would hold 4000 then? Netherdale holds 4000 so I would've thought at least a 2 or 3 of the Edinburgh teams would have similar sized or bigger?
They use Myerside for some games, I think the problem is that it lacks proper hospitality facilities.

JimBHibees
15-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Think they are mostly around 3k, Boroughmuir and Heriots however completely agree with your point.

Brightside
15-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Im confused - why do SRU pay for Edinburgh Rugby? Is that not the same as the SFA paying for Hibs?

J-C
15-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Im confused - why do SRU pay for Edinburgh Rugby? Is that not the same as the SFA paying for Hibs?

The SRU in there wisdom a few years back took control of the then 4 professional sides, all the players have contracts with the SRU and the pro team at the same time, club rugby is still played at league level but there is very little connection with the pro teams.

When pro rugby started we had 4 teams Edinburgh Gunners, Glasgow Warriers, Border Reivers and Caledonian Reds from Aberdeen, laterly they merged to make 2 teams, Edinburgh and Glagow.

lord bunberry
15-05-2015, 10:15 AM
The SRU in there wisdom a few years back took control of the then 4 professional sides, all the players have contracts with the SRU and the pro team at the same time, club rugby is still played at league level but there is very little connection with the pro teams.

When pro rugby started we had 4 teams Edinburgh Gunners, Glasgow Warriers, Border Reivers and Caledonian Reds from Aberdeen, laterly they merged to make 2 teams, Edinburgh and Glagow.
:agree: It also allows the SRU to have complete control over the 2 professional clubs, they don't want the clubs becoming too strong like the football clubs have. The 2 professional clubs regularly have to do without their best players for weeks on end due to international commitments.

Golden Bear
15-05-2015, 11:25 AM
:agree: It also allows the SRU to have complete control over the 2 professional clubs, they don't want the clubs becoming too strong like the football clubs have. The 2 professional clubs regularly have to do without their best players for weeks on end due to international commitments.

THE SRU also regularly "lend" professional players to Club rugby and often for key fixtures. Needless to say the method of allocation leads to a certain amount of animosity in Club rugby circles as it can cause disruption in the camp and is often seen as being unfair.

The 2 professional teams (Edinburgh & Glasgow) both contain many foreign players so as a consequence their own home based players sometimes struggle to get a game. It is little wonder that Scotland don't compete well at international level.

Seems like madness within the governing bodies is not confined to football.

Mark79
15-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Why dont edinburgh rugby then play at the asbestos arena while its being redeveloped? If only getting 4000 then they could be accomodated in of their death trap steep stands. Egg chasers can then destroy the park they have.

Why do we have to be involved at all in this?

liamh2202
15-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Why dont edinburgh rugby then play at the asbestos arena while its being redeveloped? If only getting 4000 then they could be accomodated in of their death trap steep stands. Egg chasers can then destroy the park they have.

Pitch won't be big enough for rugger. Its smaller than the average public park

Brightside
15-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Would they be allowed beer? :wink:

NYHibby
15-05-2015, 12:12 PM
The 2 professional teams (Edinburgh & Glasgow) both contain many foreign players so as a consequence their own home based players sometimes struggle to get a game. It is little wonder that Scotland don't compete well at international level.

I think this is an outdated and/or Edinburgh-centric view.

Speaking as a Glasgow supporter, we need our non-Scotland qualifying players otherwise we wouldn't be able to field a team during the 6 nations. The alternative would be to play a team of basically call ups from the clubs. We would have dropped additional points playing those lower quality players and may not have qualified for the playoffs as a result.

J-C
15-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Speaking as a Glasgow supporter, we need our non-Scotland qualifying players otherwise we wouldn't be able to field a team during the 6 nations. The alternative would be to play a team of basically call up from the clubs. We would have dropped additional points playing those lower quality players and may not have qualified for the playoffs as a result.

Here's an idea, why don't we allow the club scene in Scotland to become professional, it started out that way before SRU stuck there noses in. Teams like Wastonians, Boroughmuir, Heriots etc were all at the fore front during the 1st pro era, they were gatting sponsorship and backing, allowing them to pay certain players more money to go full time.

Funnily enough we've not had a winning Scotland team since the days of Hastings etc which was at the tail end of the old amateur scene, we had a system in place with a good league and a step up via the district teams, these district teams became the original pro teams and when that happened the league teams were neglected.

There's no development of our youngsters as there is no pyramid system in place for them to learn their skills and grow as players, we have a development squad at the pro teams where youngsters are put on huge training regimes to bulk up, then farmed out for a wee bit of game play now and then.

southsider
15-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Stick up 2 or 3 temp stands (as per Castle gigs) at East Mains. Egg chasers play there. We get rent & no damaged to pitch at ER ......sorted.

SanFranHibs
15-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Pitch won't be big enough for rugger. Its smaller than the average public park

Is Meadowbank still on the go? (Yes, it's been that long since I was down there).

Not a bad location for Edinburgh rugby?

Actually just googled Meadowbank and see their new 'plans' and the mention Edinburgh rubgy.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/new-images-show-43m-vision-for-meadowbank-stadium-1-3683304

Golden Bear
15-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Speaking as a Glasgow supporter, we need our non-Scotland qualifying players otherwise we wouldn't be able to field a team during the 6 nations. The alternative would be to play a team of basically call ups from the clubs. We would have dropped additional points playing those lower quality players and may not have qualified for the playoffs as a result.

Once a Border Reiver, always a Border Reiver!

NYHibby
16-05-2015, 11:43 AM
For those who think Scots are being squeezed out by foreign players, 13 of the starting 15 for what is potentially Glasgow's biggest game so far this season are eligible to play for Scotland in the World Cup.

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/match-report/glasgow-warriors-vs-ulster-rugby-sat-16052015-1500

Ozyhibby
16-05-2015, 11:47 AM

I don't think the two are connected. We are involved because we want the rent. It is a way of funding better players for Hibs.

Jamesie
18-05-2015, 05:31 PM
This all seems to have gone a bit quiet...

Jamesie
02-06-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing if this was happening we'd have known about it by now.

Danderhall Hibs
02-06-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm guessing if this was happening we'd have known about it by now.

Nah they're waiting to drop it in with the small print in the Scott Allan extension announcement.

Great day to bury bad news.

s.a.m
07-06-2015, 10:00 AM
:dunno:
BBC report:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33039431

SunshineOnLeith
07-06-2015, 10:01 AM
BBC website carrying a story this morning that Edinburgh Rugby hope to play 'a couple of games' at Easter Rd next season.

If the impact on the pitch can be properly mitigated, I'm all for it. A nice little earner.

zlatan
07-06-2015, 10:02 AM
This destroyed the pitch last time so would need to be funny money to get folk on board with the idea.

hfc rd
07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
My biggest concern about this is the pitch.

Why don't they use Meadowbank for the egg chasing?

Jamesie
07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
BBC website carrying a story this morning that Edinburgh Rugby hope to play 'a couple of games' at Easter Rd next season.

If the impact on the pitch can be properly mitigated, I'm all for it. A nice little earner.

The article is quite confusing - starts off with "a couple of games" but goes on to state:

"We hope we can come to some sort of arrangement for the coming season," added Dodson - which I interpret as the SRU being keen to keep the door open for more than a couple of games.

Like you though, if the pitch can handle it then I'm all for it. The more usage and income we can make out of Easter Road the better.

jdships
07-06-2015, 11:00 AM

That is the root of all problems in Scottish rugby
Pro players are told which club (Edinburgh/Glasgow) they will play for
I know of one who was returning to play in Scotland and had signing talks with Edinburgh as that was where he wanted to live.
NO - he was told by SRU he had to sign for Glasgow !!

weonlywon6-2
07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
BBC reporting they are looking to play a couple of games at Easter Road next season

Thoughts???

Keith_M
07-06-2015, 05:40 PM
BBC reporting they are looking to play a couple of games at Easter Road next season

Thoughts???

I think any Football Team visiting ER should have to play a forty minutes rugby match against Edinburgh Rugby, then a full game against Hibs directly after.

E10 Rifle
07-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Here's an idea, why don't we allow the club scene in Scotland to become professional, it started out that way before SRU stuck there noses in. Teams like Wastonians, Boroughmuir, Heriots etc were all at the fore front during the 1st pro era, they were gatting sponsorship and backing, allowing them to pay certain players more money to go full time.

Funnily enough we've not had a winning Scotland team since the days of Hastings etc which was at the tail end of the old amateur scene, we had a system in place with a good league and a step up via the district teams, these district teams became the original pro teams and when that happened the league teams were neglected.

There's no development of our youngsters as there is no pyramid system in place for them to learn their skills and grow as players, we have a development squad at the pro teams where youngsters are put on huge training regimes to bulk up, then farmed out for a wee bit of game play now and then.

Club scene wouldn't be able to afford it I feel even if Edinburgh is still very strong on the club front. The SRU want amateur clubs to take more of the financial risk in terms of developing stars and facilities over the next few years but there's no income to offset this unless you're a one community club like Ayr or a few others.

I think a few games at ER would be good. I can't remember the state of the pitch after rugby matches stopping us winning the league or the cup last time? We have a huge facility that lies idle for many, many weeks of the year and need to make it work commercially for the club.

Iggy Pope
07-06-2015, 06:40 PM

Thoughts???

I was just thinking that the playing surface is looking better at this stage than it has for years.

weonlywon6-2
07-06-2015, 08:02 PM
I was just thinking that the playing surface is looking better at this stage than it has for years.

True, not bothered if we do it, good media coverage for the ground and some money

Golden Bear
07-06-2015, 08:24 PM
A hybrid pitch similar to the one at Murrayfield could be the answer. Maybe the SRU would be kind enough to fund it.

bod
07-06-2015, 08:37 PM
they should be told to bolt if they contact hibs regarding playing at ER this season & whichever board member votes for it should bolt anaw
NO NO NO NO NO

weecounty hibby
07-06-2015, 08:50 PM
they should be told to bolt if they contact hibs regarding playing at ER this season & whichever board member votes for it should bolt anaw
NO NO NO NO NO
Why. Money for nothing for Hibs. It costs yhe SRU hundreds of thousands to open Murrayfield for edinburgh games would it not be better if we got some of that? FFS some folk wanted to let Hearts play at ER for cash. As long ss the pitch can be looked after its a winner for Hibs and Edinburgh rugby

Golden Bear
07-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Why. Money for nothing for Hibs. It costs yhe SRU hundreds of thousands to open Murrayfield for edinburgh games would it not be better if we got some of that? FFS some folk wanted to let Hearts play at ER for cash. As long ss the pitch can be looked after its a winner for Hibs and Edinburgh rugby

Yip, I tend to agree. The pitch is all important and I can forsee possible difficulties if Edinburgh have a Friday night home fixture and we're due to play at home on the Saturday afternoon.

Heedersnvolleys
07-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Yip, I tend to agree. The pitch is all important and I can forsee possible difficulties if Edinburgh have a Friday night home fixture and we're due to play at home on the Saturday afternoon.
Yip Swansea manage it no problem at all. Don't see the issue myself

Haymaker
07-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Yip Swansea manage it no problem at all. Don't see the issue myself

Swansea will no doubt have a hybrid pitch that could handle the pressure. We don't. Unless the SRU are paying for one and a fair chunk of the upkeep then it would be quite difficult to keep the pitch in decent condition.

Heedersnvolleys
07-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Swansea will no doubt have a hybrid pitch that could handle the pressure. We don't. Unless the SRU are paying for one and a fair chunk of the upkeep then it would be quite difficult to keep the pitch in decent condition.
I am sure Hibs are not going to agree to anything that is going to cost or be detrimental to us. Another situation where we have to trust the people that are in charge of the club. I know I do now!

Golden Bear
07-06-2015, 09:32 PM
I am sure Hibs are not going to agree to anything that is going to cost or be detrimental to us. Another situation where we have to trust the people that are in charge of the club. I know I do now!

Well said.

Haymaker
07-06-2015, 09:32 PM

:agree: Of course we do.

I would like to think that hibs would want a hybrid pitch and if the SRU are going to chip a fair chunk in then :aok:

E10 Rifle
07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Pretty sure the first person to be consulted when the initial enquiry came in would have been the Head Groundsman. If they'd said no it would probably have been dead there and then. Ground staff are well skilled nowadays and I am sure can handle this - they're a far cry from the 'parkies' of old who used to chase you off any blade of grass and nick your ball.

CRAZYHIBBY
08-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Easter road is a football stadium....our football stadium....i really don't like the idea of sharing with anyone

Heedersnvolleys
08-06-2015, 07:41 AM
See someone on another thread is saying the pitch is getting ripped up, maybe the SRU is paying for a new hybrid pitch after all :wink:

gegs70
08-06-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm not adverse to looking at other income streams, so long as the SRU paid for the upkeep of the pitch and a fee for ground rental? Perhaps they could do a deal for hibs season ticket holders for tickets too??

Geo_1875
08-06-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm not adverse to looking at other income streams, so long as the SRU paid for the upkeep of the pitch and a fee for ground rental? Perhaps they could do a deal for hibs season ticket holders for tickets too??

If there is a game on at ER I expect free entry with my ST.

Tha Cabbage Kid
08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
The clubs dont in england generally have better weather than us up here. the rain its self can cause problems and if we have two team playing on it it might be too much. if a synthetic pitch is the anwer then sounds good to me but if we have to fork out hundreds of thousnads of pounds to get it then it seems pointless. if SRU are interested in paying for it the sounds even better but im not sure they will.

but if its not going to have an effect on our playing ability then i say do it! we need the money by any means possible. if we can get one of those hybrid pitched then it means we can have more events in the stadium like music bands etc.

Jim44
08-06-2015, 12:43 PM
If this goes ahead on the present pitch, I think we'll live to regret it come the wet and frosty days of winter.

JimBHibees
08-06-2015, 12:51 PM

And also the high voltage sun lamps that all EPL teams use on the pitch and cost a few hundred thousand each. Not comparable.

Haymaker
08-06-2015, 12:54 PM
And also the high voltage sun lamps that all EPL teams use on the pitch and cost a few hundred thousand each. Not comparable.

There is also that!

Waxy
08-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Bad idea. What kind of crowds do the Edinburgh egg chuckers get?

J-C
08-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Bad idea. What kind of crowds do the Edinburgh egg chuckers get?

They get around 4k, more for the bigger European games or if one of the bigger Irish teams play.

Twiglet
08-06-2015, 01:04 PM

SRU have them too.

Waxy
08-06-2015, 01:07 PM
They get around 4k, more for the bigger European games or if one of the bigger Irish teams play.Sure they could build there own custom built arena. If they plan to be around a while and their game grows then why not? Loads of smaller rugby clubs have decent grounds in edinburgh.Meggetland goldenacre etc.

J-C
08-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Sure they could build there own custom built arena. If they plan to be around a while and their game grows then why not? Loads of smaller rugby clubs have decent grounds in edinburgh.Meggetland goldenacre etc.

They have played at Meggetland but I think t's only 3,000 capacity, it's probably the biggest in Edinburgh.

Golden Bear
08-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Sure they could build there own custom built arena. If they plan to be around a while and their game grows then why not? Loads of smaller rugby clubs have decent grounds in edinburgh.Meggetland goldenacre etc.

If the SRU does have spare cash floating about for ground/pitch development then I'd be quite happy for Hibs to benefit.

SunshineOnLeith
08-06-2015, 01:25 PM

How did you get on rocking up with your ST for the Scotland game last Friday?

Heedersnvolleys
08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
If the SRU does have spare cash floating about for ground/pitch development then I'd be quite happy for Hibs to benefit.
I think that is the issue the SRU are skint and are trying to make the 2 pro teams self sufficient for a while and see Edinburgh using Murrayfield as a stumbling block to Edinburgh achieving that. If the SRU had not just put a hybrid pitch in to Murrayfield I am sure they would have quite happily help with putting one in at ER if it meant getting Edinburgh out of Murrayfield as there is no real need for one at Murrayfield if it is only for Scotland matches which are only about 6-7 per season

Bristolhibby
08-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I think that is the issue the SRU are skint and are trying to make the 2 pro teams self sufficient for a while and see Edinburgh using Murrayfield as a stumbling block to Edinburgh achieving that. If the SRU had not just put a hybrid pitch in to Murrayfield I am sure they would have quite happily help with putting one in at ER if it meant getting Edinburgh out of Murrayfield as there is no real need for one at Murrayfield if it is only for Scotland matches which are only about 6-7 per season

Did I not read that Murdayfield has or is getting a 4G pitch installed.

If Hibs were to get the same arrangement (funded by the SRU) in return for Edinburgh playing on Fridays I would bite your hand off.

Great technology and we get a pitch like Arsenals throughout the winter.

J

Keith_M
08-06-2015, 02:19 PM
They have played at Meggetland but I think t's only 3,000 capacity, it's probably the biggest in Edinburgh.

Why don't the SRU just invest in a new Stand at one of the Edinburgh grounds and raise the capacity to 5-6,000?

Most of them have lots of space to develop their Stadia further.

J-C
08-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Why don't the SRU just invest in a new Stand at one of the Edinburgh grounds and raise the capacity to 5-6,000?

That'll all depend if the club in question wants another 2-3,000 seater stand, remember there's up keep etc.

ancient hibee
08-06-2015, 03:52 PM

The SRU are anything but skint.They've just got a £20million sponsorship deal with BT.

overdrive
08-06-2015, 04:16 PM

I thought the proposed stadium in Stockbridge was meant to be Edinburgh Accies / Edinburgh Rugby dual use. The locals are up in arms due to the fact alcohol will be sold.

Waxy
08-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Give them Meadowbank to share with Edinburgh city.plenty space to build stands around that.
Does anyone use the running track anymore anyway? Apart from Alan Wells?

You could probably move the pitch next to the currant main stand then build a decent smaller one across from it.Then have a good amount of land to sell at the back.

hfc rd
08-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Why don't they use Meadowbank like they done in the past?

jdships
08-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Give them Meadowbank to share with Edinburgh city.plenty space to build stands around that.
Does anyone use the running track anymore anyway? Apart from Alan Wells?

You could probably move the pitch next to the currant main stand then build a decent smaller one across from it.Then have a good amount of land to sell at the back.

You need to get out more of an evening !!
Track used regularly by all ages
Why the snide remark about Alan Wells ? Innocent until proven guilty remember ? !!

Waxy
08-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Why the snide remark about Alan Wells ? Innocent until proven guilty remember ? !!I'm just not the biggest athletics fan but i realise others are.Apologies to athletics people.

weecounty hibby
08-06-2015, 05:30 PM

Why? Would you expect Edinburgh rugby ST holders to get into Hibs matches free of charge?

Danderhall Hibs
08-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Why don't they use Meadowbank like they done in the past?

Soulless - they don't like it.

Heedersnvolleys
08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
The SRU are anything but skint.They've just got a £20million sponsorship deal with BT.
Sure did but it is over something like 5 or 6 years, when you break down is not much. 3k/4k crowds is not keeping the 2 teams which have squads of over 30 players each at least. They are already talking about ditching the 7's team coz they can't afford the running costs. Unfortunately Scotland are no longer at the top table in world rugby.

weecounty hibby
08-06-2015, 05:39 PM

They are potless. It takes £10m per year to run the two pro teams. There are approx 120 pro players who all need to be paid. Add in support staff and it is a big organisation. They also have two stadia to run. One of them is the biggest in Scotland and isn't cheap to have open.
None of the clubs teams really want or need a stadium that holds 8/10000 as it would be a burden to them.
The investment in the lower clubs and youth development is enormous, whether you agree how they are doing it or not. But that's for another forum.
This could be situation that benefits all parties. Edinburgh Rugby get somewhere to play that is more suited to their needs and Hibs get money for not doing too much. I am sure that the pitch situation will be sorted as well.

cabbageandribs1875
08-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Sure did but it is over something like 5 or 6 years, when you break down is not much. 3k/4k crowds is not keeping the 2 teams which have squads of over 30 players each at least. They are already talking about ditching the 7's team coz they can't afford the running costs. Unfortunately Scotland are no longer at the top table in world rugby.

first part in bold=got a reprieve AFAIK

2nd part= you're right unfortunately, i watched the U20's the other day against ireland and they were pretty rank, can't do the basics like catching(and holding on to) a freakin ball, and spending a full 7 mins at irelands 5 metre line without having the know-how to actually get over the line, and that was after getting beat by what will probably be the biggest defeat at this years u20's WC...68-10 by new zealand

but anyway, hope ER does get to hold rugby games :agree:

jdships
08-06-2015, 06:07 PM
I'm just not the biggest athletics fan but i realise others are.Apologies to athletics people.

Thank you for that
Takes a good man to apologise :top marks

Kojock
08-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Why? Would you expect Edinburgh rugby ST holders to get into Hibs matches free of charge?

Wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't get any loyalty points. ;-)

E10 Rifle
08-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Wouldn't bother me as long as they didn't get any loyalty points. ;-)

Maybe the pies would improve if they came (see other thread)

Brightside
08-06-2015, 06:32 PM

If anyone wants to use their Hibs Football Season Ticket to go and watch Peanut Huggers they should be banned for life!

E10 Rifle
08-06-2015, 06:36 PM
If anyone wants to use their Hibs Football Season Ticket to go and watch Peanut Huggers they should be banned for life!

:stirrer:

flash
08-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Why the snide remark about Alan Wells ? Innocent until proven guilty remember ? !!

Aye nothing suspicious at all in his sudden rise from 5th best long jumper in Scotland to fastest man in the world.

E10 Rifle
08-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Aye nothing suspicious at all in his sudden rise from 5th best long jumper in Scotland to fastest man in the world.

And Drew McMaster is such a credible source, particularly when it comes to Wells. :rolleyes:

Kavinho
08-06-2015, 06:56 PM

If there are empty seats (there would be), and Edinburgh rugby come to an agreement with Hibs -then that could easily be accommodated. Could be a win win.

There's no extra costs involved for the rugby club, in fact probably some income from match day spending and gives them the chance to "convert" (sorry) a few extra supporters... For Hibs, it'd clearly be a selling point to alleviate Fans concerns and particularly ST holders if can just rock up and get along to a few games if interested. Granted, might not be many that interested...

Would also be a chance to see how alcohol at games works!

But for what is worth as a follower of both clubs, I think it's all about the pitch, and think we'll do ourselves a disservice if we agree to anything other than a few summer time / off season games.

Ozyhibby
08-06-2015, 07:10 PM
If there are empty seats (there would be), and Edinburgh rugby come to an agreement with Hibs -then that could easily be accommodated. Could be a win win.

There's no extra costs involved for the rugby club, in fact probably some income from match day spending and gives them the chance to "convert" (sorry) a few extra supporters... For Hibs, it'd clearly be a selling point to alleviate Fans concerns and particularly ST holders if can just rock up and get along to a few games if interested. Granted, might not be many that interested...

Would also be a chance to see how alcohol at games works!

But for what is worth as a follower of both clubs, I think it's all about the pitch, and think we'll do ourselves a disservice if we agree to anything other than a few summer time / off season games.

So Yams who watch Edinburgh Rugby can just show up and watch the Derby in the Hibs end?

Largshibby
08-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Easter road is a football stadium....our football stadium....i really don't like the idea of sharing with anyone

Welcome to the 18th century.

J-C
08-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Realised he was pish at long jump but the run up was fairly quick, someone thought, take away the sand and keep running.

Oh and he was never fastest man in the world.

J-C
08-06-2015, 09:26 PM
first part in bold=got a reprieve AFAIK

2nd part= you're right unfortunately, i watched the U20's the other day against ireland and they were pretty rank, can't do the basics like catching(and holding on to) a freakin ball, and spending a full 7 mins at irelands 5 metre line without having the know-how to actually get over the line, and that was after getting beat by what will probably be the biggest defeat at this years u20's WC...68-10 by new zealand

but anyway, hope ER does get to hold rugby games :agree:

This is what happens when younger players are hand picked at a young age and not given a few years to learn their trade, instead it's a fast track to the Edinburgh pro team, Gavin Hastings mentioned this a year or so ago on radio, said as much as worrying about bulking up and not doing any basic training.

Peevemor
08-06-2015, 09:57 PM
This is what happens when younger players are hand picked at a young age and not given a few years to learn their trade, instead it's a fast track to the Edinburgh pro team, Gavin Hastings mentioned this a year or so ago on radio, said as much as worrying about bulking up and not doing any basic training.

I have a rugby playing pal who bemoans the fact that the sport's bigwigs in Scotland are more interested in physique than flare/natural ability. He's of the opinion that Scotland have some great players who don't get a look in as they're viewed as not being "clean" enough.

My mate himself has been told this. He was across here for a week last year and during that time he ate very healthily, got up early to go running every second morning and only went mildly radge on the drink one night - this was mid July!

Times have changed since the Scotland team played football with the Calcutta Cup outside the NB.

J-C
08-06-2015, 10:09 PM
I have a rugby playing pal who bemoans the fact that the sport's bigwigs in Scotland are more interested in physique than flare/natural ability. He's of the opinion that Scotland have some great players who don't get a look in as they're viewed as not being "clean" enough.

My mate himself has been told this. He was across here for a week last year and during that time he ate very healthily, got up early to go running every second morning and only went mildly radge on the drink one night - this was mid July!

Times have changed since the Scotland team played football with the Calcutta Cup outside the NB.

I played rugby for 22 years from school age, I played 4 times for the old original Edinburgh district team back in the early 80's when the game was still amateur, we played club rugby and training was all about running with the ball, passing and tackling, no one then knew what a gym was. Today's players are poor technique wise, yes bigger but just crap players..........give me the Hastings brothers, Calder twins and John Jeffrey any day of the week.

jdships
08-06-2015, 10:22 PM

Were you involved in athletics at that time and have you ever had any dealings with Alan and Margo Wells ?
I have on both counts and will believe his version until it is proved otherwise .

Shrekko
08-06-2015, 10:43 PM
And Drew McMaster is such a credible source, particularly when it comes to Wells. :rolleyes:

It's not exactly just Drew McMaster is it? I can't see any reason to doubt what's being said to be honest. I heard the jist of this story 25 years ago from folk who would be in a good position to know and have never really doubted it.

Shrekko
08-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Were you involved in athletics at that time and have you ever had any dealings with Alan and Margo Wells ?
I have on both counts and will believe his version until it is proved otherwise .

Is there any sports personality you've not spent time with?

E10 Rifle
08-06-2015, 10:54 PM
It's not exactly just Drew McMaster is it? I can't see any reason to doubt what's being said to be honest. I heard the jist of this story 25 years ago from folk who would be in a good position to know and have never really doubted it.

Well it kind of is - most of the suggestions are from McMaster - a self-confessed drug cheat himself with a pathological hatred for Wells. Sort of ruins his credibility a bit if you ask me. I think Wells and in particular his wife were miles ahead in terms of professional sports training techniques at the time hence why they went on to be so successful afterwards in coaching other sports. Wells still looks like he could run the 100 in a decent time and I just think that's from living and training the correct way not steroid abuse.

Anyway, on the other points, most great rugby players of the past from Scotland (backs in particular) played football when younger to get their skills going alongside their rugby ones. Now the young ones just go to the gym.

cabbageandribs1875
08-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Well it kind of is - most of the suggestions are from McMaster - a self-confessed drug cheat himself with a pathological hatred for Wells. Sort of ruins his credibility a bit if you ask me. I think Wells and in particular his wife were miles ahead in terms of professional sports training techniques at the time hence why they went on to be so successful afterwards in coaching other sports. Wells still looks like he could run the 100 in a decent time and I just think that's from living and training the correct way not steroid abuse.

Anyway, on the other points, most great rugby players of the past from Scotland (backs in particular) played football when younger to get their skills going alongside their rugby ones. Now the young ones just go to the gym.

so will we see wells taking McMaster to court then, for slander ? i'm guessing no we wont

superfurryhibby
09-06-2015, 07:09 AM
so will we see wells taking McMaster to court then, for slander ? i'm guessing no we wont

Wells went from a skinny no mark to Olympic champion in a very short time. When you look at the remarkable changes in his physique and his times it does raise questions, especially when you hear others telling you he took drugs to achieve it.

I suspect, as usual, the public know very little about drug use by top level sportspeople. It is rife. When you read about how poor the testing schedules are in massive earners like tennis and golf, well you would be a fool to deny the possibility that some of the very obvious candidates are cheating.

Kavinho
09-06-2015, 07:55 AM
So Yams who watch Edinburgh Rugby can just show up and watch the Derby in the Hibs end?

Eh?
Naw...
If a hibs ST holder show his/her pass at any Gunners game, then they get access to the ground for hee haw.

Not the other way round.

lord bunberry
09-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Wells went from a skinny no mark to Olympic champion in a very short time. When you look at the remarkable changes in his physique and his times it does raise questions, especially when you hear others telling you he took drugs to achieve it.

I suspect, as usual, the public know very little about drug use by top level sportspeople. It is rife. When you read about how poor the testing schedules are in massive earners like tennis and golf, well you would be a fool to deny the possibility that some of the very obvious candidates are cheating.
Wells was also drug tested on many occasions and passed every time.

NAE NOOKIE
09-06-2015, 02:13 PM

:faf: ...... :agree:

LaMotta
09-06-2015, 03:44 PM
My Egg Chasing source tells me that there will be no official move to Easter Road for Edinburgh Rugby this season, however there might be one or two games played during the coming season to trial the concept. :cb

Golden Bear
09-06-2015, 03:49 PM
My Egg Chasing source tells me that there will be no official move to Easter Road for Edinburgh Rugby this season, however there might be one or two games played during the coming season to trial the concept. :cb

Straight from the BBC website which also suggested that a more permanent arrangement could be sought.

LaMotta
09-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Straight from the BBC website which also suggested that a more permanent arrangement could be sought.

Didnt realise it was on the BBC website sorry :greengrin

Golden Bear
09-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Didnt realise it was on the BBC website sorry :greengrin

Get yer pal telt!

:greengrin

Keith_M
09-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Give them Meadowbank to share with Edinburgh city......

You could probably move the pitch next to the current main stand then build a decent smaller one across from it.

That probably wouldn't be necessary, as the Main Stand at Meadowbank holds over 7,000, more than enough for Edinburgh Rugby.

lyonhibs
09-06-2015, 06:54 PM
That probably wouldn't be necessary, as the Main Stand at Meadowbank holds over 7,000, more than enough for Edinburgh Rugby.

Pretty sure that main stand last passed a H&S certificate around about the Mowbray era....

superfurryhibby
09-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Wells was also drug tested on many occasions and passed every time.

Ayes, but so were Carl Lewis and Marion Jones, until they we caught. Lancelot Armstrong was never caught out. It proves nothing, especially when you read about how easy it is to avoid

As for Edinburgh Rugby, they can GTF, unless they fund a pitch which can take the strain.

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 08:24 PM
I knew Drew pretty well he used to do our pre- season sprint training and used to stay just a couple of doors away from me. Funnily enough Alan Wells chiropodist used to be by neighbour, still got a signed photo of him somewhere, anyway back to Drew he did have chip on his shoulder, and was a bit of a blaw and pi$$ heed but he was always very consistent about his stories of Alan Wells. My take on it was Drew was more peed off because he was to slow in getting in the drugs scene and by then everyone else was to far ahead. For a wee town in East Lothian to have someone like Drew McMaster and George McNeil so talented at there sport at the same time is pretty remarkable I think.

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 09:01 PM
I played rugby for 22 years from school age, I played 4 times for the old original Edinburgh district team back in the early 80's when the game was still amateur, we played club rugby and training was all about running with the ball, passing and tackling, no one then knew what a gym was. Today's players are poor technique wise, yes bigger but just crap players..........give me the Hastings brothers, Calder twins and John Jeffrey any day of the week.
Just going by you profile and a massive assumption but did Porty not have a really good team around then. Well done getting into the Edinburgh team in that era!
There is a lot of nostalgia with rugby myself included and yes the ones you mention could probably hold there own in the modern game but there were loads that would not.

J-C
09-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Just going by you profile and a massive assumption but did Porty not have a really good team around then. Well done getting into the Edinburgh team in that era!
There is a lot of nostalgia with rugby myself included and yes the ones you mention could probably hold there own in the modern game but there were loads that would not.

Went to Trinity, a Leith lad I was.

I was in the right place at the right time, Trinity were old 2nd division, I played inside centre and there was a few call offs, I got asked to go to their training session and did enough to get picked for the squad. TBH I only just good enough to get the squad but managed 4 games, 2 as a sub, when all the top guys were fit I never had a look in.

Heedersnvolleys
09-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Went to Trinity, a Leith lad I was.

I was in the right place at the right time, Trinity were old 2nd division, I played inside centre and there was a few call offs, I got asked to go to their training session and did enough to get picked for the squad. TBH I only just good enough to get the squad but managed 4 games, 2 as a sub, when all the top guys were fit I never had a look in.
I got one game for the national league Edinburgh team when they used to run 2 Edinburgh teams for the premiership teams and one for the national league teams and that was due to call off's and my coach was the coach of the Edinburgh team then

broondog
09-06-2015, 10:23 PM
awful sport that shouldn't be played anywhere near easter road especially if it ends up aiding the yams

Green Diet
09-06-2015, 10:40 PM
My other team is Oxford United, who ground share with London Welsh. The playing surface has been destroyed by the rugby, which has now resulted in having to cough up thousands to relay the surface with a combined grass/artificial finish. NOT GOOD!

:cb

Jamesie
11-06-2015, 10:08 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-sru-have-jumped-the-gun-on-ground-share-1-3798714

Hopefully this is just a case of Leanne playing hardball in the negotiations - quicker we get this tied up and extra £ in the door, the better.

Golden Bear
11-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Steady lads, steady. It's not a subject worth bothering about.

It's not long now until the start of the fitba season.

:coolhib:

green&left
11-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Speaking to an egg chasing colleague, he reckons ER is a non-starter. Most fans are against it, lack of transport links, no tram, parking etc. Pitch to small and Murrayfield have just had their sooper-dooper hybird installed.

His preferred and other Edinburgh Rugby'ers is to apparently have temporary stand errected with standing & seating up the running track at Murrayfield...

Would suit me. I'm all for having extra income from ER but not at the expense of the team. Imagine a rugby game on a wet Friday in November and Hibs at home on the Saturday. Pitch would be a wreck.

Golden Bear
11-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Speaking to an egg chasing colleague, he reckons ER is a non-starter. Most fans are against it, lack of transport links, no tram, parking etc. Pitch to small and Murrayfield have just had their sooper-dooper hybird installed.

His preferred and other Edinburgh Rugby'ers is to apparently have temporary stand errected with standing & seating up the running track at Murrayfield...

Would suit me. I'm all for having extra income from ER but not at the expense of the team. Imagine a rugby game on a wet Friday in November and Hibs at home on the Saturday. Pitch would be a wreck.

No tram - that's an interesting addition to the endless list of excuses for non attendance at home games.

:wink:

SunshineOnLeith
11-06-2015, 03:47 PM

The elephant in the room here is that most Edinburgh Rugby fans probably wouldn't fancy spending their Friday evening in leith, so crowds would suffer.

I think they should expand meggetland a bit and play there, using murrayfield for the odd big game. But if the SRU want to pursue Easter Rd, thanks for the money!