PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steven Gerrard

Stax
10-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Class. Great interview after game. How many players in this day and age are genuine supporters of their club. End of an era for Liverpool when he leaves.

frazeHFC
10-05-2015, 05:25 PM
The reception he got when subbed was great too.

Brooster
10-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Class act on and off the pitch. Ive got tickets for his last game, should be some occassion.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Loved the signs the Chelsea fans had out for him today. :faf:

Pretty Boy
10-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Fantastic player in his prime.

I saw him at St James earlier this season and it was a shame to see him looking a bit over the hill. Would have loved to have seen him in his pomp.

It would be unfair to others in the team to say he single handedly dragged Liverpool back into the Champions League final in 2005 but he was certainly the driving force.

emerald green
10-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Steven Gerrard would probably have won more honours in the game had he chosen to leave Liverpool. A fine player now at the end of his playing days at the top level of the game.

Possibly a future Liverpool manager?

hibsbollah
10-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Class act on and off the pitch. Ive got tickets for his last game, should be some occassion.

Im sure the lad who Gerard assaulted in the pub would disagree :stirrer:

J-C
10-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Fantastic player in his prime.

I saw him at St James earlier this season and it was a shame to see him looking a bit over the hill. Would have loved to have seen him in his pomp.

It would be unfair to others in the team to say he single handedly dragged Liverpool back into the Champions League final in 2005 but he was certainly the driving force.

To be fair he's probably not that match fit as he's hardly featured this season, badly treated by Liverpool, don't think he was wanting loads of cash just a 2 year deal very similar to Lampard, his influence in the dressing room and with the youngsters will be missed.

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Fantastic servant to Liverpool, stayed true to his hometown club when he could have easily moved to an other club in search of silverware. Sad to see Liverpool without a top scouser in the team following the departure of Carra and now Gerrard. Hopefully Liverpool have another hometown lad who can step up to the mark.

davidw
10-05-2015, 07:25 PM

Yes indeed. Class act off the pitch - unless your a DJ who doesn't play his request in which case you get a doing.

Obscenely overpaid thug rather than a class act (in my humble opinion etc etc etc).

Future17
10-05-2015, 07:25 PM

Not guilty. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 07:26 PM
To be fair he's probably not that match fit as he's hardly featured this season, badly treated by Liverpool, don't think he was wanting loads of cash just a 2 year deal very similar to Lampard, his influence in the dressing room and with the youngsters will be missed.

You sure about that :confused: I think he's probably played 30 odd if not 40 games in all comps

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Aquitted.

hibsbollah
10-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Aquitted.

I saw the footage. Must have been a lenient jury...

Canongatehibs
10-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Calm down, calm down

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 07:46 PM

I saw it too and couldn't really make out what actually happened :wink: :greengrin

Boyle89
10-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Yes indeed. Class act off the pitch - unless your a DJ who doesn't play his request in which case you get a doing.

Obscenely overpaid thug rather than a class act (in my humble opinion etc etc etc).
The cctv footage was pretty damning.

Brooster
10-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Aquitted.

Correct. I was actually referring to the way he conducts himself in interviews and on panels during live games etc. Im not in a position to comment on his personal life, I'll leave that to others who seem to know the inside track.

Jonnyboy
10-05-2015, 08:07 PM
I saw it too and couldn't really make out what actually happened :wink: :greengrin

Is that you, Arsene? :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
10-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Showed his actual class in the post match interview. Chelsea fans respect him by clapping him off but he chooses to slag them.

frazeHFC
10-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Showed his actual class in the post match interview. Chelsea fans respect him by clapping him off but he chooses to slag them.

Can you blame him with all the abuse he got before that?

Tyler Durden
10-05-2015, 08:24 PM

A few applauding when he's going off as a token gesture. Thousands sing songs taking the piss and had laminated signs about his slip last year......laminated FFS!

Gerrard gave them the respect they deserved. Chelsea fans are a bunch of muppets

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 08:32 PM

Chelsea fans respect him? I think not.

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Is that you, Arsene? :greengrin

Yep.☺

silverhibee
10-05-2015, 08:37 PM

His Uncle had got to them. :wink: :greengrin

silverhibee
10-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Fantastic servant to Liverpool, stayed true to his hometown club when he could have easily moved to an other club in search of silverware. Sad to see Liverpool without a top scouser in the team following the departure of Carra and now Gerrard. Hopefully Liverpool have another hometown lad who can step up to the mark.

Suppose if I was a local lad playing for the team i supported and they were paying me £150k p/w then I wouldn't want to move anywhere either, he has done very well trophy wise and winning medals but he has also made £60m playing for Liverpool in his football career.

Glad i got to see him play in the flesh a few times for Liverpool, outstanding servant for his club.

Cod Boy
10-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Hyped up by the english media

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Hyped up the english media

Who hyped up the media?

jdships
10-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Stephen Gerrard
Now that was a real legend !!!!!
Have met and spoken with him ( twice) at Annfield and found him a perfect gentleman
:hibees

J-C
10-05-2015, 09:32 PM
You sure about that :confused: I think he's probably played 30 odd if not 40 games in all comps

Yep my apologies, 39 with 4 of them as a sub but only started 23 games in the league with 3 as a sub. It's the lack of league games which is the most obvious, Sterling and Henderson 50 and 51 in total, both more in the league by around 10 and with them chasing top 4 you'd have thought he would play more given the importance of the top 4.

TRC
10-05-2015, 10:32 PM
A decent player, however i always thought it showed he only wanted to play for liverpool when he played for England and never really showed the same commitment. Though he is a bit of a thug and a coward.

Mikey09
10-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Thought The Famous were going to run out at Anfield when Liverpool lined up for that guard of honour.... :greengrin

Hibeesmad
11-05-2015, 12:55 AM
His goal slipped into the back of the net quite nicely I thought

RoslinInstHibby
11-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Not a Liverpool fan by any means but Gerrard has been fantastic for them. Been the main man there ever since he broke into the 1st team and carried them for years. Whilst I agree that he is a tad over rated by the English media to say he is anything less than a Liverpool legend is totally wrong. As for the Chelsea fans ripping him for slipping.......are they forgetting Terry in the champions league final?

bigwheel
11-05-2015, 08:29 AM
A decent player, however i always thought it showed he only wanted to play for liverpool when he played for England and never really showed the same commitment. Though he is a bit of a thug and a coward.

I'm no Liverpool fan, so not bias on this one....but this made me laugh...up there challenging for the worst post of the year so far...

bigwheel
11-05-2015, 08:32 AM

and ps on this silly post...here's his England stats

114 caps, captain 38 times, 21 goals murder huh!

bobbyhibs1983
11-05-2015, 08:36 AM
I might be having a memory lapse but didn't gerrad threaten to leave if he wasn't given a huge wage rise?

I feel he was a great player, but has had a few iffy seasons the last 2 or so imo.
I sometimes look at liverpool and think they should be doing better with things, look at last season 2nd in the league and look at them now,I know they had sold saurez but surely he bbrought in a huge amount of money, you hopefully buy a few great players, of course imo

Gingertosser
11-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Class. Great interview after game. How many players in this day and age are genuine supporters of their club. End of an era for Liverpool when he leaves.

He was an Everton fan :confused:

JimBHibees
11-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Not sure that is right though alot of Liverpool players were Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Carra?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Legend. Been a privilege to watch him as a Liverpool supporter!

Bad Martini
11-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Maybe that's why he stood on the Kop with a red and white scarf around his neck when he was younger and was delighted to captain his boyhood heroes :greengrin

However, he may have been lying to us...after all, who'd admit to being a bitter one? :aok:

Pretty Boy
11-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Sure you're not getting confused with Jamie Carragher? Steven Gerrard is 100% a Liverpool fan.

Bad Martini
11-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Not sure that is right though alot of Liverpool players were Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Carra?

With the exception of Owen, they were all duly converted into the church and ways of the holy trinity (Dalglish, Shankly and Paisely). :wink:

Owen, he fared much less favourably. Selling his soul to Satan/Man Utd and talking utter ***** doesn't help his cause either. Laddie could score though mind, but, unforgivable sin...is unforgivable sin.

YNWA :thumbsup:

Scottie
11-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Legend. Been a privilege to watch him as a Liverpool supporter!
The only pleasure i had watching him was watching him 'Slip on his arse' last season. :aok:

Leg End no doubt.

Gingertosser
11-05-2015, 11:42 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/472361/SPOTTED-When-Steven-Gerrard-lifted-the-TITLE-for-EVERTON

There for all to see....Everton fan

Bad Martini
11-05-2015, 11:49 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/472361/SPOTTED-When-Steven-Gerrard-lifted-the-TITLE-for-EVERTON

There for all to see....Everton fan

This was quality >>> "The Liverpool talisman's dad apparently 'went ballistic' when he found out" .... and duly skelped the uncle straight in the boat time and time again. The joke was never spoken of again. :greengrin

...and nobody ever did find out where that everton strip went or how they got it out again :greengrin

silverhibee
11-05-2015, 12:05 PM
This was quality >>> "The Liverpool talisman's dad apparently 'went ballistic' when he found out" .... and duly skelped the uncle straight in the boat time and time again. The joke was never spoken of again. :greengrin

...and nobody ever did find out where that everton strip went or how they got it out again :greengrin

Was it uncle Bobby. :greengrin

TRC
11-05-2015, 12:58 PM
and ps on this silly post...here's his England stats

114 caps, captain 38 times, 21 goals murder huh!

Have you looked at who those goals are against real heavy top quality teams those goals. Germany in the 5-1 game and v Sweden would be two goals of note the others scored against the might of Macedonia Andorra. Never been a world class player and showed on the world stage.

bigwheel
11-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Have you looked at who those goals are against real heavy top quality teams those goals. Germany in the 5-1 game and v Sweden would be two goals of note the others scored against the might of Macedonia Andorra. Never been a world class player and showed on the world stage.

Aye, that's a convincing argument.

Did he nick your bird or something ?

emerald green
11-05-2015, 01:53 PM

What a poor and ill informed post, and also your post #48. I'm not getting involved in your comment about "a bit of a thug and a coward", but here's some facts about Steven Gerrard's playing career. But don't let these facts get in the way of your apparent dislike of him.

You call Gerrard a "decent player". He's won 2 FA cups, 3 League cups, 1 UEFA Champions League (coming back from 3-0 down IIRC) 1 UEFA Cup, 2 UEFA Super cups.

He played in 2000, 2004, 2012 European Championships.

2006, 2010 & 2014 World Cups, captaining his country at the latter 2 tournaments.

Named in UEFA team of the tournament in 2012.

Only the 6th player to win 100 caps for England in 2012, and is currently 3rd in the all time appearance list.

In 2005 was honoured as the UEFA club footballer of the year & won Ballon D'Or Bronze award.

Also named in PFA team of the year a record 8 times; also UEFA team of the year & FIFA World eleven 3 times each.

He is, to date, the only footballer ever to have scored a goal in an FA Cup final, League Cup final, UEFA Cup final & Champions League final.

Much much more than 99% of footballers will EVER come close to achieving. That's pretty "decent".

PS: I'm not a Liverpool supporter. I support Hibs. But I know a footballer when I see one.

johnbc70
11-05-2015, 02:49 PM
What a poor and ill informed post, and also your post #48. I'm not getting involved in your comment about "a bit of a thug and a coward", but here's some facts about Steven Gerrard's playing career. But don't let these facts get in the way of your apparent dislike of him.

You call Gerrard a "decent player". He's won 2 FA cups, 3 League cups, 1 UEFA Champions League (coming back from 3-0 down IIRC) 1 UEFA Cup, 2 UEFA Super cups.

2006, 2010 & 2014 World Cups, captaining his country at the latter 2 tournaments.

Only the 6th player to win 100 caps for England in 2012, and is currently 3rd in the all time appearance list.

In 2005 was honoured as the UEFA club footballer of the year & won Ballon D'Or Bronze award.

Also named in PFA team of the year a record 8 times; also UEFA team of the year & FIFA World eleven 3 times each.

He is, to date, the only footballer ever to have scored a goal in an FA Cup final, League Cup final, UEFA Cup final & Champions League final.

Much much more than 99% of footballers will EVER come close to achieving. That's pretty "decent".

PS: I'm not a Liverpool supporter. I support Hibs. But I know a footballer when I see one.

Can't argue with that. Never knew the stat around scoring in all those finals. Good quiz question!

TRC
11-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Aye, that's a convincing argument.

Did he nick your bird or something ?

Id say it is a convincing argument for his England career, i never said he was a bad player just don't get the fuss to be honest.
Are you ****ging him is that why you got a wee bee in your bonnet.

Pretty Boy
11-05-2015, 04:56 PM

You're wasting your time.

Because of the hype that goes with some British players there are always those who will insist on taking the opposite stance regardless of evidence to the contrary.

I remember posting similar stats and achievements from David Beckhams career and the answer was, almost unbelievably, 'aye but all he did was ping 60 yard passes to strikers'. I'd be gutted if Hibs had a player who regularly pinged 60 yard passes accurately. That would be brutal.

TRC
11-05-2015, 05:13 PM

Why won't you comment on the thug and coward bit? Ok i'll admit that decent was maybe a tad harsh, very good does that work? the way people talk about him though you'd think he was in the same class as Messi or Ronaldo which IMHO he isn't and never was.

bigwheel
11-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Why won't you comment on the thug and coward bit? Ok i'll admit that decent was maybe a tad harsh, very good does that work? the way people talk about him though you'd think he was in the same class as Messi or Ronaldo which IMHO he isn't and never was.

Nobody ever says he was in the same league as Messi or Ronaldo ....and yet you focus on some thug and coward stuff. In all his days I can only recall one piece of trouble hitting the press ...in terms of football he was never a thug not a coward. You clearly have a hang up about him

emerald green
11-05-2015, 06:13 PM
You're wasting your time.

Because of the hype that goes with some British players there are always those who will insist on taking the opposite stance regardless of evidence to the contrary.

I remember posting similar stats and achievements from David Beckhams career and the answer was, almost unbelievably, 'aye but all he did was ping 60 yard passes to strikers'. I'd be gutted if Hibs had a player who regularly pinged 60 yard passes accurately. That would be brutal.

:agree: Looks like it, judging by reply. See below.

I'll let what I posted earlier speak for itself. A "tad harsh" (lol). What "people" are talking about Gerrard being in the same class as Messi or Ronaldo? Not me.

Turning now to "the thug and coward" bit. I don't know Steven Gerrard personally. Do you? I have never even met the bloke. Have you?

I don't think I'm entitled to make a judgement on the man's character, and call him a thug and a coward, based on that. Especially the coward bit. That's why, and I choose not to. OK?

jdships
11-05-2015, 08:13 PM

You obviously don't watch much football if you think SG is a thug and a coward .
:blah::yawn:

blackpoolhibs
11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
You obviously don't watch much football if you think SG is a thug and a coward .
:blah::yawn:

How would you describe that stamp on the Man United player the other week? :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
11-05-2015, 08:17 PM
bit of a fairy in the penalty box, sure i read an article that a puff of wind once blew him over in the box, who will attempt to get liverpool penalties now ?

comedy gold...and a cheat to boot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GKXAKQY-0Y

The_Exile
11-05-2015, 08:19 PM
He made the worst "tackle" I've ever seen on a football pitch on Gary Naysmith when he played with Everton, absolutely brutal. However, he's without doubt in the top 10 of central midfielders of this generation.

JimBHibees
11-05-2015, 08:34 PM
He made the worst "tackle" I've ever seen on a football pitch on Gary Naysmith when he played with Everton, absolutely brutal. However, he's without doubt in the top 10 of central midfielders of this generation.

Yep simply an appalling tackle which Graham Poll bottled. Two footed over the ball lunge, horrible tackle.

The_Exile
11-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Yep simply an appalling tackle which Graham Poll bottled. Two footed over the ball lunge, horrible tackle.

Yeah he didn't even get a talking to! Although if I remember correctly he apologised immediately after the match.

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2015, 08:44 PM
How would you describe that stamp on the Man United player the other week? :confused:

Pure genius.

Corstorphine Hibby
11-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Pure genius.

Yeah, got himself sent off for that 'pure genius' tackle in a game against your nearest challengers for a champions league place.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Pure genius.

Innocuous.

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Yeah, got himself sent off for that 'pure genius' tackle in a game against your nearest challengers for a champions league place.

Oh dear!

Shrekko
11-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Just as well for Gerrard that in the eyes of the English media no Englishman ever dives or hacks.

Great player though.

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Great player, great playing career there is no amount of sniping can change that.

Baader
11-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Imagine he would probably hold a place in Liverpool's all time greatest 11 - which is really saying something...

Bad Martini
12-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Great player, great playing career there is no amount of sniping can change that.

Pretty much correct mate...

...pretty much :greengrin ....my only gripe (as a lifelong Red) was the wee period where there was talk of him genuinely leaving on the grounds of seeking more cash; in fairness, teh cash he was on then was eyewatering. The King never done that. He only left celtic because they were in fact, pish, they would never gonna get any better :greengrin and he wanted to go as far as he could in football (he did, they didn't, the rest is history :greengrin).

However, this isn't about the King being better than Gerrard as that, is a given. But, Gerrard has done a lot for Liverpool and I have witnessed far more than "just" Istanbull where he's single handedly won the match, or started the changes to achieve the same...which counts.

He also dislikes Man Utd almost as much as me :thumbsup: (and you :greengrin) and that also counts...

In closing, m'lords....specifically in regards the fact Gerrard is allegedly a thug AND a coward, consider:
An oxymoron (plural oxymora or oxymorons) is a figure of speech that juxtaposes
elements that appear to be contradictory..............bit like a clean yam or clever hun.

:aok:

Stax
16-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Golden samba award for Gerrard, quality :thumbsup:

SunshineOnLeith
16-05-2015, 07:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qtW5T2J.gif

Famous Fiver
16-05-2015, 07:28 PM
His cousin died at Hillsborough. Think about that for a minute.

He gave 17 years service to the club.

I have nothing but respect for the man.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2015, 07:33 PM

:singing: Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
He slipped on his ****ing arse
And gave it to Demba Ba
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard. :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
16-05-2015, 07:38 PM
:singing: Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
He slipped on his ****ing arse
And gave it to Demba Ba
Steve Gerrard, Gerrard. :thumbsup:

I think what makes it even more ludicrous is Gerrard after beating Man city at home gathering the players for a group hug telling them when playing Norwich the next again week 'This does not slip now'

:hilarious

Thecat23
16-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Hate Liverpool and I hate Man U. But I do respect individual talent. Gerrard and Scholes were two very different players but both legendary in their own right!

Instead of the bickering why not just enjoy these players for what they are instead of "but he never achieved this or that."

HH81
16-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Hate Liverpool and I hate Man U. But I do respect individual talent. Gerrard and Scholes were two very different players but both legendary in their own right!

Instead of the bickering why not just enjoy these players for what they are instead of "but he never achieved this or that."

I have watched him a few times, one time at Newcastle he was the best footballer on the pitch by such a distance.

Most taking the piss have never watched him play live no doubt.

Thecat23
16-05-2015, 07:43 PM
I have watched him a few times, one time at Newcastle he was the best footballer on the pitch by such a distance.

Exactly, either that or they just don't see a very good pro who carried Liverpool in many matches.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Sure you're not getting confused with Jamie Carragher? Steven Gerrard is 100% a Liverpool fan.

I caught a bit of a programme the other day, which was outlining his career, and he stated that he almost became an Everton fan until Liverpool beat them in the 1986 FA Cup final. From then on, he knew he would support Liverpool.

I know he was only coming up for six years of age at the time but I can honestly say that at no point in my life was I ever close to being a Hearts fan.

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Yes regardless of who you support and whether you like to admit it or not,Steven Gerrard has been a fantastic player and servant to Liverpool FC and will go down in history as one of the all time Anfield greats. Second only to Kenny Dalglish in my admiration.

silverhibee
16-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Think the commentator summed it up perfectly after the game about Steven Gerrard.

"every young lad who supports his local team will dream of being Steven Gerrard when they grow up" a great servant for the team he supported as a lad and got the dream to play to play for them. Gave his club his all. What more can you ask for. A Liverpool legend.

With £60m net worth and all the medals and trophies he has won, well done, and a wee fortune to make in his new venture in the USA. :greengrin

silverhibee
16-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Seen him a couple of times J, outstanding player.

Thecat23
16-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Think the commentator summed it up perfectly after the game about Steven Gerrard.

"every young lad who supports his local team will dream of being Steven Gerrard when they grow up" a great servant for the team he supported as a lad and got the dream to play to play for them. Gave his club his all. What more can you ask for. A Liverpool legend.

With £60m net worth and all the medals and trophies he has won, well done, and a wee fortune to make in his new venture in the USA. :greengrin

Spot on Silver! [emoji106]🏼

Onceinawhile
16-05-2015, 08:24 PM
A good player who won a lot, but he isn't even the best English midfielder leaving for the most this season.

Hanson, Lawrenson, Kenny dal, Kevin keegan and souness must laugh their heads off when they hear about his "accomplishments" with pool though.

Tinribs
16-05-2015, 08:30 PM
A good player who won a lot, but he isn't even the best English midfielder leaving for the most this season.

Hanson, Lawrenson, Kenny dal, Kevin keegan and souness must laugh their heads off when they hear about his "accomplishments" with pool though.

I agree, and the supporters now claim he is the greatest Liverpool player of all time. Compare his career with Kenny Dalglish, not even close.

Edit: Reminds me of a quote that John Lennon supposedly made, he was asked by an interviewer if Ringo was the best drummer in the world...he paused..then said 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles'.

emerald green
16-05-2015, 08:33 PM

Neither Hanson or "Lawro" could lace Gerrard's boots. They just happened to play in fantastic Liverpool teams surrounded by players like Dalglish and others. IMHO.

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Neither Hanson or "Lawro" could lace Gerrard's boots. They just happened to play in fantastic Liverpool teams surrounded by players like Dalglish and others. IMHO.

Spot on.

stoneyburn hibs
16-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Spot on.

Do you rate Gerrard as a better player than Souness ? I do, just.

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Do you rate Gerrard as a better player than Souness ? I do, just.

Yes without a doubt, watched Souness and the great Liverpool teams throughout the late 70's & 80's. Always difficult to make actual comparisons across different generations though.

superfurryhibby
16-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Why would they laugh? Bizarre idea really. Gerrard has been a great player for Liverpool. I would imagine they would respect his accomplishments.

The_Horde
16-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Why would they laugh? Bizarre idea really. Gerrard has been a great player for Liverpool. I would imagine they would respect his accomplishments.

None of those players could've single handedly dragged liverpool from 3-0 behind in a champions league final. Gerrard is the greatest ever liverpool player by far.

Onceinawhile
16-05-2015, 09:55 PM
None of those players could've single handedly dragged liverpool from 3-0 behind in a champions league final. Gerrard is the greatest ever liverpool player by far.

I'm sure Hansen will be crying into his 8 (eight) league winners medals and 3 (three) European cup medals. His defensive partner lawrenson will be crying into his 5 (five) league medals and one(same as Gerrard)European cup winner medals.

Killiehibbie
16-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Yes regardless of who you support and whether you like to admit it or not,Steven Gerrard has been a fantastic player and servant to Liverpool FC and will go down in history as one of the all time Anfield greats. Second only to Kenny Dalglish in my admiration.I heard them say earlier that he was the greatest Liverpool player ever and immediately thought surely not better than Kenny.

SunshineOnLeith
16-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm sure Hansen will be crying into his 8 (eight) league winners medals and 3 (three) European cup medals. His defensive partner lawrenson will be crying into his 5 (five) league medals and one(same as Gerrard)European cup winner medals.

An apt tweet I read from a FourFourTwo journo during the post-match cringefest:

Liverpool used to hand out their title winners' medals with no fuss at all by throwing a box of medals in to the dressing room. Now this...

eastterrace
16-05-2015, 10:11 PM

quality cock up , love it

eastterrace
16-05-2015, 10:11 PM

bollocks

superfurryhibby
16-05-2015, 10:24 PM

Dalglsh Souness and Hansen were the lynchpins of that great era for Liverpool. Hansen was a fantastic footballer. One of the greats in his position For over a decade. Lawrenson, a decent player, was nowhere near that standard,

Tinribs
16-05-2015, 10:26 PM
An apt tweet I read from a FourFourTwo journo during the post-match cringefest:

I think all of this cringeworthy stuff is just a reflection of how far Liverpool have fallen, over the last 20 years.

SunshineOnLeith
16-05-2015, 10:38 PM
I think all of this cringeworthy stuff is just a reflection of how far Liverpool have fallen, over the last 20 years.

Yup. Saying Gerrard is the best ever Liverpool player is like saying Darren Mackie is the best ever Aberdeen player.

le bill
16-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Great player but totally over rated last 5 years or so
Totally mediocre
Laughed so much when his attempted shot today almost struck the corner flag and the cp fans did the "what the **** hell was that" chant

No premier lg titles unlucky but sums him and lpool up really

monktonharp
16-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Fantastic servant to Liverpool, stayed true to his hometown club when he could have easily moved to an other club in search of silverware. Sad to see Liverpool without a top scouser in the team following the departure of Carra and now Gerrard. Hopefully Liverpool have another hometown lad who can step up to the mark.great player, loved his club from day one till the end of of his great career. luck played a part, and I wont deny him his glorious career but, lots of players, and some of them Hibernian fans have had the distinction of playing for the club they loved first. the difference being, if they were really a class above many in the team they played for they got enticed away for big money in comparison. a lot of the younger ones, done by their agents. such is the modern game, much to my chagrin.

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Great player but totally over rated last 5 years or so
Totally mediocre
Laughed so much when his attempted shot today almost struck the corner flag and the cp fans did the "what the **** hell was that" chant

No premier lg titles unlucky but sums him and lpool up really

Nope the only thing it sums up is your personal feelings towards Gerrard and Liverpool!

Tinribs
16-05-2015, 11:38 PM
great player, loved his club from day one till the end of of his great career. luck played a part, and I wont deny him his glorious career but, lots of players, and some of them Hibernian fans have had the distinction of playing for the club they loved first. the difference being, if they were really a class above many in the team they played for they got enticed away for big money in comparison. a lot of the younger ones, done by their agents. such is the modern game, much to my chagrin.

I take it you mean Jamie Carragher as the one who played for and loved his club till the end of his career? Apart from his Everton youth appearances ofc.

SteveHFC
16-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Gerrard is one of my favourite players of all-time.

Fantastic player. His goals against Olympiakos, AC Milan and West Ham in the fa cup final in 2006 will be remembered for a long time.

DTS
16-05-2015, 11:55 PM

Souness has said repeatedly that he was lucky enough to play in some of the greatest liverpool teams ever which is why he won so much, where as Steven Gerrard has almost single handily dragged us to most of the trophys we have won in his time! All the greats say he'd walk straight in the teams they played in

Tinribs
17-05-2015, 12:05 AM
Souness has said repeatedly that he was lucky enough to play in some of the greatest liverpool teams ever which is why he won so much, where as Steven Gerrard has almost single handily dragged us to most of the trophys we have won in his time! All the greats say he'd walk straight in the teams they played in

Maybe, but i wonder who you would drop from those great teams to accommodate him? Maybe Souness himself tbh, but he was a real beast of a captain so again, maybe not him.

Dashing Bob S
17-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Gerrard was a great player in a poor Liverpool side, who will rightly be remembered for his amazing performance in that CL final. I think he carried a mediocre outfit to contender status for many years, but for the last five or so, it's others who have been carrying him. The Gerrard of old would never have made those laughable errors, the slip v Chelsea, the sending off before he'd gotten onto the park, and he was becoming an embarrassing parody of himself. He is correct to wrap it now and go to LA to sell shirts and watch Alex Curran shop.

However, let's not forget how good he was in his prime. Perhaps not quite the greatest Liverpool player ever, but certainly one of them, and would have graced the 80's and 90's sides.

Tinribs
17-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Gerrard was a great player in a poor Liverpool side, who will rightly be remembered for his amazing performance in that CL final. I think he carried a mediocre outfit to contender status for many years, but for the last five or so, it's others who have been carrying him. The Gerrard of old would never have made those laughable errors, the slip v Chelsea, the sending off before he'd gotten onto the park, and he was becoming an embarrassing parody of himself. He is correct to wrap it now and go to LA to sell shirts and watch Alex Curran shop.

However, let's not forget how good he was in his prime. Perhaps not quite the greatest Liverpool player ever, but certainly one of them, and would have graced the 80's and 90's sides.

I remember their Goalie more than i remember Gerrard in that final.

Cabbage7062
17-05-2015, 12:20 AM
Gerrard in his prime has carried many mediocre Liverpool teams. Without him for the last 15 and a bit years they would not have been contenders for silver wear. I'm too young to comment on him being the best ever though. It's been an absolute pleasure growing up watching him (I'm not a Liverpool fan either).

Tinribs
17-05-2015, 12:26 AM
Gerrard in his prime has carried many mediocre Liverpool teams. Without him for the last 15 and a bit years they would not have been contenders for silver wear. I'm too young to comment on him being the best ever though. It's been an absolute pleasure growing up watching him (I'm not a Liverpool fan either).

I think you hit the nail on the head there mate, a mediocre team with Carra and Gerrard as it's life for too many years. I wish we could see a proper Liverpool team again, now that the last of the old guard has left, maybe a great one...time will tell.

DH1875
17-05-2015, 12:52 AM
I dont mind Gerrard but the media hype/love in during the past 24 hours has been way over the top. SKY sports had it all as headline news earlier ahead of all the actual football news that actually happened today. Total joke.

mca
17-05-2015, 01:01 AM
A Part of Playing for your Team - Rather than your wage packet Died Today..

poolman
17-05-2015, 03:51 AM
I dont mind Gerrard but the media hype/love in during the past 24 hours has been way over the top. SKY sports had it all as headline news earlier ahead of all the actual football news that actually happened today. Total joke.

Absolutely

dmc1875
17-05-2015, 04:46 AM
He's a great player, one who for years has carried Liverpool. He pretty much single handedly dragged them to victory in the champions league final (not to mention to the final in the first place) and the fa cup.

The best ever at Liverpool? To tough to say but he'd be in their greatest 11. A class player.

People comparing him to scholes, lampard etc need to remember the standard of team both of them played for compared to some of the dross Gerrard had to play with. Phenomenal player and one who lived the dream and didn't chase the glory when he could have went to Chelsea.

Future17
17-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Yeah, he'll die penniless the poor lad.

Biggie
17-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Great player, but no-where near Dalglish.....IMHO
Also felt the guard of honour and hype pre-game, screwed Liverpool and meant they weren't focused on the game.....he should have kept the thanks until the end of the game only

The Harp
17-05-2015, 08:38 AM
My family have Everton connections so I don't have much time for Liverpool, but anyone who has given half a million £, as he has, to his local children's hospital, regularly visits the kids there, and has become a Founding Partner of their Children's Charity, is all right in my book.:aok:
All the best to him on his next adventure.

Onceinawhile
17-05-2015, 08:44 AM

I don't remember his performance in the 2007 cup final? That's the only trophy we've won in his time
time.

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I don't remember his performance in the 2007 cup final? That's the only trophy we've won in his time
time.

Depends on your we've I suppose :-)

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2015, 09:38 AM
To those who say single handedly referring to the CL final, watch it again and then tell Carra he played no part.

frazeHFC
17-05-2015, 10:16 AM
When you look at the 2 sides Milan and Liverpool had out in 2005. Maldini, Nesta. ....Djimi Traore, it really hits home just how insane that comeback was. Every man played their part that night but Gerrard led from the front. As Steve said his goals against Olympiacos and West Ham are also up there with my all time favourites.

I was lucky enough to see him score a brilliant match winning volley at the Reebok in a 3-2 win as well.

One of my all time favourite players. I can't compare him to other Liverpool legends because of my age but I'm certainly gonna miss watching him.

Dashing Bob S
17-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Carrying a team to the CL crown in the glare of publicity is all good and well, but I doubt he could have done it in a meaningless friendly against Celtic like Benny Brazil did.

emerald green
17-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Carrying a team to the CL crown in the glare of publicity is all good and well, but I doubt he could have done it in a meaningless friendly against Celtic like Benny Brazil did.

Now you're talking. What a player. :greengrin

jdships
17-05-2015, 11:16 AM

:top marks( I am a Liverpool fan with three rellies played for the club )
Excellent post - says it all for me :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
17-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Aye I'm sure he would have continued to play for Liverpool for 17 years if he had been getting paid £2000 a week right enough.

He was a very good player and servant to Liverpool but let's not try to pretend that he wasn't paid handsomely for the privilege.

The same goes for other one club men like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes as well, by the way, in case anyone accuses me of an anti-Liverpool bias.

GreenArmyyy!
17-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Gooaaaaallllll

GreenArmyyy!
17-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Oops, wrong thread, got a little to excited 😂

SunshineOnLeith
17-05-2015, 09:13 PM

So loyal to Liverpool he's moving to the USA for a huge payday rather than accepting he's no longer good enough to command an automatic starting place. Bring a tear to a glass eye, so it would.

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2015, 09:25 PM
So loyal to Liverpool he's moving to the USA for a huge payday rather than accepting he's no longer good enough to command an automatic starting place. Bring a tear to a glass eye, so it would.

What a load of pish, has given his best playing days to Liverpool, no longer has the legs and wants to bow out of his own accord rather than overstay his welcome.

SunshineOnLeith
17-05-2015, 09:42 PM
What a load of pish, has given his best playing days to Liverpool, no longer has the legs and wants to bow out of his own accord rather than overstay his welcome.

Turning down a new contract is, in some ways, the ultimate show of loyalty.

J-C
18-05-2015, 09:09 AM

It was a 1 year deal and he wanted longer, don't think cash is an isuue as he's a very wealthy young man, I think he was looking at a player/coach deal maybe knowing his part in the team is deminishing, he did say after te game he wanted to come back in a coaching/managing role.

le bill
18-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Nope the only thing it sums up is your personal feelings towards Gerrard and Liverpool!

Nope the only thing it sums up is your personal feelings towards Gerrard and Liverpool! :na na:

jacomo
18-05-2015, 09:26 AM
A few applauding when he's going off as a token gesture. Thousands sing songs taking the piss and had laminated signs about his slip last year......laminated FFS!

Gerrard gave them the respect they deserved. Chelsea fans are a bunch of muppets

Gerrard did announce once that he wanted to leave Liverpool and join Chelsea, before having a change of heart. Not quite unwavering loyalty to the Liverpool cause - no wonder Chelsea fans mock him.

Smartie
18-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Gerrard did announce once that he wanted to leave Liverpool and join Chelsea, before having a change of heart. Not quite unwavering loyalty to the Liverpool cause - no wonder Chelsea fans mock him.

I'm sure even the most loyal "one club men" have come close to having their heads turned at some point.

Gerrard would only have to be human to be interested in going to Chelsea - the money, the trophies, life in London etc etc. I respect the fact that he looked long and hard at it before deciding not to make the move.

What he actually did is more important than what he might have done or maybe thought about for a while. And he was a superb player who dragged a club up to his standard for 17 years. I'm not a Liverpool fan but I do respect what Gerrard achieved.

Scouse Hibee
18-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Nope the only thing it sums up is your personal feelings towards Gerrard and Liverpool! :na na:

How can your post sum up my feelings ya daftie :-)

jdships
18-05-2015, 02:45 PM

The guy is 34 his legs are giving him problems :rolleyes:

jdships
18-05-2015, 02:46 PM
How can your post sum up my feelings ya daftie :-)

:agree::thumbsup:

jacomo
18-05-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm sure even the most loyal "one club men" have come close to having their heads turned at some point.

Gerrard would only have to be human to be interested in going to Chelsea - the money, the trophies, life in London etc etc. I respect the fact that he looked long and hard at it before deciding not to make the move.

What he actually did is more important than what he might have done or maybe thought about for a while. And he was a superb player who dragged a club up to his standard for 17 years. I'm not a Liverpool fan but I do respect what Gerrard achieved.

He did more than consider a move, he announced he was leaving:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

It just makes all this stuff about his 'outstanding loyalty' to Liverpool stuck in the craw a bit.

Scouse Hibee
18-05-2015, 05:14 PM
He did more than consider a move, he announced he was leaving:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

It just makes all this stuff about his 'outstanding loyalty' to Liverpool stuck in the craw a bit.

I never heard him announce it. Is there actual footage of him announcing it? I must have missed it.