PDA

View Full Version : Deek at East Fife

CraigK
08-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found this article about Deek's recent performance for East Fife:
http://terracepodcast.net/scottish-lower-leagues/2015/5/7/the-football-critic-derek-riordan-v-elgin-city-020515

CraigHibee
08-05-2015, 08:08 PM
decent read, it's good to see derek back in the game again :aok:

Billychaotic182
08-05-2015, 08:09 PM
The boys at the terrace podcast do a fantastic job. Was a good read. The Terrace and Monday night fitba podcasts have made me stop listening to sportsound.

silverhibee
08-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found this article about Deek's recent performance for East Fife:
http://terracepodcast.net/scottish-lower-leagues/2015/5/7/the-football-critic-derek-riordan-v-elgin-city-020515

I was at that game, the weather conditions that night were some of the worst i have seen two teams playing in, started of nice, then snow, then blizzard conditions for the rest of the game, i thought Derek worked hard in the game and done his fair share of tracking his man back but he isn't going to be making lunging tackles, more just make sure the ball isn't played to the player he has tracked back, as for going forward that night, he was pinging in crosses from the left for the guy Fash who got on a few and Derek deservedly got his goal for a good performance that night in terrible conditions and he was lucky not to get another goal in the game.

Yes i know it's the bottom tier of Scottish football but his stats are pretty good for the number of games he has played for East Fife, and of course a big game for him and his team mates tomorrow against Stenhousemuir, hopefully he can help them get through the play off's.

TowerHibs
08-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Yeah I agree. The guys at the the terrace do 2 shows a week covering all of Scottish football in a fair and balanced manner

Pete
09-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Going to extra time. Hope Deek can score the winner.

Aldo
09-05-2015, 05:23 PM
3-1 stenhousemuir AET.

PatHead
09-05-2015, 05:23 PM
East Fife lost in extra time.

IrnBru22
14-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Seen on SSN Deek has been released by East Fife.

jacomo
14-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Seen on SSN Deek has been released by East Fife.

Whoah. Due to results or his performances?

Billychaotic182
14-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Whoah. Due to results or his performances?

Due to them failing in the play offs. He was not reliesed. He signed a deal till the end off the season. East Fife failed to win the play offs to now their season is over. So he is out of contract.

snooky
14-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Due to them failing in the play offs. He was not reliesed. He signed a deal till the end off the season. East Fife failed to win the play offs to now their season is over. So he is out of contract.

Surely he was out of contract whether they were successful in the play offs or not?
(Unless there was a rider in his contract re. an extension?)

Jonnyboy
14-05-2015, 07:03 PM
It's all in the wording I guess but it seems to be that failure in the play offs means that EF can no longer afford to keep Deek on. I very much doubt it has anything to do with his performances

Andy74
14-05-2015, 07:37 PM
It's all in the wording I guess but it seems to be that failure in the play offs means that EF can no longer afford to keep Deek on. I very much doubt it has anything to do with his performances

That's how I read it too. Hope he gets something else sorted.

silverhibee
14-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Think he played 11 games for East Fife since he joined them J, 5 goals and 6 assists, 1 MOTM award and press saying he had played his best game in a EF jersey a few weeks ago, it isn't to bad for a left midfielder as that is where he was played and who hadn't played football in a while.

He enjoyed himself at East Fife and is grateful to the manager for giving him a chance to get back playing football again, he hopes to go again at another club next season. :aok:

Billy Whizz
14-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Think he played 11 games for East Fife since he joined them J, 5 goals and 6 assists, 1 MOTM award and press saying he had played his best game in a EF jersey a few weeks ago, it isn't to bad for a left midfielder as that is where he was played and who hadn't played football in a while.

He enjoyed himself at East Fife and is grateful to the manager for giving him a chance to get back playing football again, he hopes to go again at another club next season. :aok:

Good summary, hope he gets a club at a decent level Silver

green day
14-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Just had to look at DR All the Goals on YouTube again.

Great great memories

Sir David Gray
14-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Good summary, hope he gets a club at a decent level Silver

:agree: Someone of his ability should be capable of getting a game for a decent Scottish Championship club.

I'm not calling for him to return to us even if we fail to be promoted, by the way, as I do think that ship sailed a while ago.

But I reckon he would do well at a team like Falkirk or St Mirren next season.

DH1875
15-05-2015, 07:02 AM
:agree: Someone of his ability should be capable of getting a game for a decent Scottish Championship club.

I'm not calling for him to return to us even if we fail to be promoted, by the way, as I do think that ship sailed a while ago.

But I reckon he would do well at a team like Falkirk or St Mirren next season.

Defo, with a good, full pre-season behind him he'll do alright. Just hope his time at East Fife has given him the hunger back.

Andy74
15-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Defo, with a good, full pre-season behind him he'll do alright. Just hope his time at East Fife has given him the hunger back.

It's got to just be about fitness with a guy who's ability can't be questioned. A proper 6 or 7 weeks of graft would see to that surely?

I guess it comes down to whether he has the desire to actually do that properly.

Smartie
15-05-2015, 09:03 AM
It's got to just be about fitness with a guy who's ability can't be questioned. A proper 6 or 7 weeks of graft would see to that surely?

I guess it comes down to whether he has the desire to actually do that properly.

He does have to be offered an opportunity somewhere to do that though.

I just hope he doesn't turn his nose up at offers that he might not deem good enough for him.

He needs to be playing, if anyone gives him a full-time offer he should jump at it.

Andy74
15-05-2015, 09:21 AM

I just hope he doesn't turn his nose up at offers that he might not deem good enough for him.

He needs to be playing, if anyone gives him a full-time offer he should jump at it.

He shouldn't need an opportunity to get fit, plenty parks and gyms out there if he is serious.

If he took a couple of months to get in top shape he is surely good enough to play at the level he has been at previously?

Smartie
15-05-2015, 11:40 AM
He shouldn't need an opportunity to get fit, plenty parks and gyms out there if he is serious.

If he took a couple of months to get in top shape he is surely good enough to play at the level he has been at previously?

Fair point, I'm sure he could get himself to a certain level by himself. Who is to say that he has not done this in recent years though? I'm sure he hasn't just been sitting playing his playstation all the time.

I think though that the importance of a full pre-season with a club is often underestimated. There's the physical fitness side of things but also the work with the ball to get fully match-fit. Passing drills, finishing, set-pieces, tactics etc. He can't do much of that by himself.

When did he last do a proper, full pre-season with a full-time professional club? Getting that - anywhere - must be his main priority right now.

superfurryhibby
15-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Fair point, I'm sure he could get himself to a certain level by himself. Who is to say that he has not done this in recent years though? I'm sure he hasn't just been sitting playing his playstation all the time.

I think though that the importance of a full pre-season with a club is often underestimated. There's the physical fitness side of things but also the work with the ball to get fully match-fit. Passing drills, finishing, set-pieces, tactics etc. He can't do much of that by himself.

When did he last do a proper, full pre-season with a full-time professional club? Getting that - anywhere - must be his main priority right now.

Yep, there's fit and there's match fit. Remember when Deek came back from Celtic, it took a wee while before he looked sharp, despite the benefits of full time training.

Would love to see him doing well. Looking at those 100 goals again just reminds me of what a talent he was. He may not have fulfilled his potential, in some respects, but he was a damned good footballer. Most two footed player I can recall at Hibs, with dynamite in both of them. Respect!

silverhibee
15-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Hi Andy, before he signed for East Fife he was training full time with Livingston and after about 3 weeks Mark Burchill wanted to sign him until the end of the season, it looked it was going to happen when Derek was asked to go to the ground and things would get sorted out and clearance from the SFA, but it never happened, seemingly the board didn't want to take the risk ( i don't think it was his ability they thought was a risk) but they still allowed him to train with them and MB tried a few times again to get him signed but it wasn't going to happen for whatever reason, but the full time training for 7 weeks and Under 20s games he played in done him well so that when he signed for East Fife he was able to start games for them straight away, his only disappointment right now is that the season has come to a end just when he was starting to feel good about playing football again and his last game played the 120 minutes shows the fitness is there, he enjoyed his time at East Fife and wishes them and Gary Naysmith the best in the future.

Now it is back to running around the tracks where he stays and doing the gym to keep himself ticking over which he has done before, he does look after himself, and hopefully someone takes a chance on him and with a pre season (which he needs) behind him and i think he still has something to offer still in football, and if he can get that then i think he would like to start doing his coaching badges, i don't think he wants to be a manager :greengrin but helping training a team appeals to him, be part of a coaching team in the future, but getting a club and pre season under his belt is his aim for the summer.

silverhibee
15-05-2015, 03:01 PM

He signed for East Fife in the bottom tier of Scottish football. :greengrin

Andy74
15-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Hi Andy, before he signed for East Fife he was training full time with Livingston and after about 3 weeks Mark Burchill wanted to sign him until the end of the season, it looked it was going to happen when Derek was asked to go to the ground and things would get sorted out and clearance from the SFA, but it never happened, seemingly the board didn't want to take the risk ( i don't think it was his ability they thought was a risk) but they still allowed him to train with them and MB tried a few times again to get him signed but it wasn't going to happen for whatever reason, but the full time training for 7 weeks and Under 20s games he played in done him well so that when he signed for East Fife he was able to start games for them straight away, his only disappointment right now is that the season has come to a end just when he was starting to feel good about playing football again and his last game played the 120 minutes shows the fitness is there, he enjoyed his time at East Fife and wishes them and Gary Naysmith the best in the future.

Now it is back to running around the tracks where he stays and doing the gym to keep himself ticking over which he has done before, he does look after himself, and hopefully someone takes a chance on him and with a pre season (which he needs) behind him and i think he still has something to offer still in football, and if he can get that then i think he would like to start doing his coaching badges, i don't think he wants to be a manager :greengrin but helping training a team appeals to him, be part of a coaching team in the future, but getting a club and pre season under his belt is his aim for the summer.

Thanks, hopefully he can pick up a pre season and get going again.

portyhibernian
15-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Think he showed in the time he was at East Fife that he's worthy of a contract somewhere, fingers crossed for him. Great player

silverhibee
15-05-2015, 03:17 PM

1. When he was without a club that is what he done, he would do running around track ways where he stayed or he would go out running with his brother around the North of the Capital, he does look after himself, if anyone has seen him recently he looks in good shape, 3 kids, no time for playstation anymore :greengrin.

2. That is why he needs a pre season, he can run and do the gym to keep himself fit, and kick a ball about his back garden and play 5 a sides with his mates but it just isn't the same as out there training with your team mates doing the passing drills tactics etc etc, it gets boring dribbling around the washing pole.

3. He done a pre season in China after the season had finished. :greengrin

Smartie
15-05-2015, 04:52 PM
1. When he was without a club that is what he done, he would do running around track ways where he stayed or he would go out running with his brother around the North of the Capital, he does look after himself, if anyone has seen him recently he looks in good shape, 3 kids, no time for playstation anymore :greengrin.

2. That is why he needs a pre season, he can run and do the gym to keep himself fit, and kick a ball about his back garden and play 5 a sides with his mates but it just isn't the same as out there training with your team mates doing the passing drills tactics etc etc, it gets boring dribbling around the washing pole.

3. He done a pre season in China after the season had finished. :greengrin

Thanks for your answers.

I hope it didn't seem like I was having a go at him - to be honest exactly the opposite. People often seem to assume the worst when they don't know much about what somebody has been up to. I'm sure he's been working away on his own and it just seems like he hasn't caught a break the past few years.

That clip of all of his goals is breathtaking and it has been a pleasure to watch him over the years. He's still young enough to make a big impact at another club and I seriously hope somebody somewhere takes a chance on him and that he takes it.

It's interesting to hear that he's interested in coaching because he has had a very interesting career and I'm sure will have loads to pass on to younger players. There used to seem to be a type that you would expect to go down that route but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the way any more - would anyone have expected Duncan Ferguson to go on to be a highly respected coach?

One of the things I've got from this season is a newly found respect for the lower leagues. There are some decent clubs and decent people down here, many of whom could benefit from the likes of Deek, on and off the park.

Anyway, glad to hear he's working hard and I really hope it works out for him.