PDA

View Full Version : Toy town cops & Breathalysers

speedy_gonzales
07-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Was just listening to the 'Jeremy Vine' show in BBC Radio 2 and they were discussing the latest initiative at Cambridge United where the stewards have a breathalyser and are using it on the fans.

BBC article here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-32565239)

The Breathalyser is set for twice the drink drive limit (obviously England/Wales & not Police Glasgow).
They used it for the first time at the weekend and far from refusing entry it allowed an inebriated fan in after a steward thought he was over the limit but the breathalyser came back with an amber so he was admitted on the understanding that the stewards were aware he'd had a drink.

Personally, and I don't want to come across as a raging alcoholic, but if there is a possibility I would be refused admittance to ER after a few pints then I doubt my ST would be worth the money. For the sake of match safety I completely agree that those out of control or a danger to themselves should be filtered out, but breathalysing?

Due to early kick-offs for TV etc I don't have a drink EVERY game but on the odd occasion there is a 3pm Saturday match then I've been known to have 3 or 4 pints in Robbies,,,s'pose I better cut down and just have 6 or 8 half pints instead:greengrin

Geo_1875
07-05-2015, 12:35 PM
A bit strange that they're breathalysing fans to see if they've had too much to drink then still allowing them into what (in England) are premises licensed to sell alcohol.

They might be on dodgy ground if any trouble arose from letting a drunk into the ground when they have advance warning.

Since90+2
07-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Never happen in Scotland.

A fair proportion of people would simply stop going and the clubs would be hit financially.

Haymaker
07-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Why just football matches? Had far more problems at cricket than at football with booze.

Andy74
07-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Was just listening to the 'Jeremy Vine' show in BBC Radio 2 and they were discussing the latest initiative at Cambridge United where the stewards have a breathalyser and are using it on the fans.

BBC article here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-32565239)

The Breathalyser is set for twice the drink drive limit (obviously England/Wales & not Police Glasgow).
They used it for the first time at the weekend and far from refusing entry it allowed an inebriated fan in after a steward thought he was over the limit but the breathalyser came back with an amber so he was admitted on the understanding that the stewards were aware he'd had a drink.

Personally, and I don't want to come across as a raging alcoholic, but if there is a possibility I would be refused admittance to ER after a few pints then I doubt my ST would be worth the money. For the sake of match safety I completely agree that those out of control or a danger to themselves should be filtered out, but breathalysing?

Due to early kick-offs for TV etc I don't have a drink EVERY game but on the odd occasion there is a 3pm Saturday match then I've been known to have 3 or 4 pints in Robbies,,,s'pose I better cut down and just have 6 or 8 half pints instead:greengrin

What problem are they trying to solve? Do they have big problems with behaviour that they have narrowed down to alcohol being the cause?

speedy_gonzales
07-05-2015, 12:50 PM
What problem are they trying to solve? Do they have big problems with behaviour that they have narrowed down to alcohol being the cause?
They clearly think Cambridge (the place) has a problem.
This other story was mentioned (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070251/Teacher-25-person-turned-away-McDonald-s-failing-breathalyser-test.html), where a 25 year old Cambridge teacher was breathalysed at the local McDonalds and turned away after failing the test. His reply was quite funny though, "I don’t know why anyone would be there at 2am if they hadn't been drinking!"

Jack
07-05-2015, 12:54 PM

I would suggest this initiative follows a report a few months ago about night clubs and bars in various parts of England doing the same.

I never heard what the outcomes have been so it's difficult to say what successes, or otherwise, have come about as a result of using a breathalyser on potential customers.

Baader
07-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Embarrassing. Let's see them go round rugby fans and breathalyse them. Wouldn't happen would it..

Aldo
07-05-2015, 01:47 PM
What powers do they have to request a specimen of breath?? None IMHO.

They can ask but you would be well within your rights to refuse.

snooky
07-05-2015, 01:58 PM
I rarely drink however even if I did, any premises that asked me to take a breathalyser I tell them to shove it and take my business somewhere else.
The only exception I would make would be when boarding a plane.

--------
07-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Why just football matches? Had far more problems at cricket than at football with booze.

Have you watched the last England series against the Windies?

You'd HAVE to be drunk to watch that lot. :rolleyes:

HH81
07-05-2015, 02:09 PM

Been to cricket on several occasions and never seen any trouble?

ManBearPig
07-05-2015, 02:12 PM
I remember a club in Newcastle that would breathlyze you to make sure you were drunk upon leaving otherwise they hadn't done their job.....

Didn't last long

ManBearPig
07-05-2015, 02:13 PM

I would have to be drunk or in class a hallucinogenics to make that sport interesting.

HH81
07-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I would have to be drunk or in class a hallucinogenics to make that sport interesting.

Each to their own.

I think you might enjoy 20/20?

green&left
07-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Easy target.

We or no-one else won't make a fuss. You can do alot of stuff to football fans that would never be acceptable to other members of society.

You could take a breathalyzer to gigs, stadium concerts, rugby, cricket. Even the *** threatre and cinema and would find people over the limit.

Andy74
07-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I rarely drink however even if I did, any premises that asked me to take a breathalyser I tell them to shove it and take my business somewhere else.
The only exception I would make would be when boarding a plane.

If you are a pilot fair enough. Otherwise, I enjoy the BA lounge too much for that nonsense.

Kojock
07-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Yes you would be well within your rights to refuse, but they will make it a condition of entry to the stadium. Either blaw intae the bag or you don't get in.

Northernhibee
07-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Each to their own.

I think you might enjoy 20/20?

What, Mad Dog 20/20?

HH81
07-05-2015, 03:27 PM
What, Mad Dog 20/20?

Which ever 20/20 you want?

weonlywon6-2
07-05-2015, 05:11 PM

was thinking the same, unless the club as a private company enforced the rule but I think it would cause more problems than not.

They use them at kids/teenagers discos and I can understand that due to empty head kids, football, leave to discression if you ask me

Newcastlehibby
07-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Embarrassing. Let's see them go round rugby fans and breathalyse them. Wouldn't happen would it..

Rugby Union opposing fans are generally well behaved, happily mix together in and out of the ground, do not scream and shout at players or the referee using foul language, do not shower opposing fans with abuse or fight with them. So no, it wouldn't happen because it doesn't need to.

Sadly, a proportion of people who go to football matches engage in some or all of the above activities, probably while under the influence. why some people feel they need to get legless to watch a match is beyond me. They just spoil it for others around them. Maybe this initiative will help put an end to that.

Haymaker
07-05-2015, 05:21 PM

Not trouble as in punch ups but large groups of drunk, obnoxious people (both sexes) being general ****ers. Not been to any rugby games really but I know a few people who do and they are always blotted before games. If it is to be applied to football then it should be applied to all major sports otherwise we are being (unfairly in my opinion) targeted.

Haymaker
07-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Have you watched the last England series against the Windies?

You'd HAVE to be drunk to watch that lot. :rolleyes:

:agree: it drove me to drink Doddie! Well, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-05-2015, 07:33 PM

You could refuse but the club may then say that you're not getting into the stadium if you don't comply.

In the same way that stewards have no legal right to search you or your belongings but if you refuse then you're likely to be refused entry.

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2015, 07:35 PM
I wonder if they'd let this guy in? :greengrin

https://www.facebook.com/DailyCoolVideos/videos/397296743801230/?pnref=story

weonlywon6-2
07-05-2015, 07:43 PM
I wonder if they'd let this guy in? :greengrin

https://www.facebook.com/DailyCoolVideos/videos/397296743801230/?

pnref=story

Is that no the ref for the rangers first two games

Stax
07-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Rugby Union opposing fans are generally well behaved, happily mix together in and out of the ground, do not scream and shout at players or the referee using foul language, do not shower opposing fans with abuse or fight with them. So no, it wouldn't happen because it doesn't need to.

Sadly, a proportion of people who go to football matches engage in some or all of the above activities, probably while under the influence. why some people feel they need to get legless to watch a match is beyond me. They just spoil it for others around them. Maybe this initiative will help put an end to that.
One of the biggest myths perpetuated in sport is the given that all rugby fans are decent and football fans are a bunch of oiks. Some of the biggest erseholes I've ran into up town over the years have been boorish rugger bugger types. However I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. Another myth is the people causing the bother are drunk & out of control. Most trouble is organised and away from the ground amongst likeminded people. I'd breathalyse the crowd at Wimbledon and knock back all the fannys shouting "come on Tim" when Andy murray's playing cause they've had one too many pimms.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-05-2015, 09:47 PM
I remember a club in Newcastle that would breathlyze you to make sure you were drunk upon leaving otherwise they hadn't done their job.....

Didn't last long

Was it Newcastle Utd? Think John Carver must have been pished during that interview this afternoon [emoji482]

FranckSuzy
07-05-2015, 09:47 PM
I heard this today as well and a few of the callers made interesting points like: "this could be a ploy by some clubs so their bar takings go up as some might not drink before the game in case of refusal", "if they bring this into football then Ascot, Twickenham, etc should follow suit", "why would it only be those that fail the breathlyser test that may cause trouble?"

Very bizarre idea, IMHO, especially since they serve alcohol at grounds in England.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Read about this last week. Bit of a farce. Realistically, how much trouble do Cambridge have on a weekly basis with drunks? I'd wager that it's not too many. Wonder if they are getting some sort of funding to trial this? Heard McDonalds have said they were pushed into trialling it by the police. McDonalds already have bouncers on the door, don't think they need breathalysers as well ffs. Why would you be in McD at 3am if you hadn't just come out of a club?

H113EE5
07-05-2015, 10:14 PM

:aok::applause::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Baader
07-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Better class of fan eh? Not from my experience having lived and worked around Twickenham for many years. Usually it was 'banter' when rugby lads were involved. 'Yobbery ' when it was football fans.

Cabbage East
08-05-2015, 08:13 AM

Quite a bit of self-loathing in there. And a few myths for good measure.

nellio
08-05-2015, 10:00 AM
If they introduced this at the rugby I would be oer the limits every Scotland game, especiaclly the 6 nations games against Wales. Seems a bit OTT to me at the footie, espicially when you could easily arrive at the game 2 hours before kick off, pass the test, get in the ground go stright to the bar and drink 8 pints before kick off!

Newcastlehibby
08-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Quite a bit of self-loathing in there. And a few myths for good measure.

I neither hate myself nor do I belong to a group that I do not like. I have attended a large number of both types of sporting event at league and international level in my 61 years. I speak from experience.

Craig_HFC
08-05-2015, 03:58 PM
I neither hate myself nor do I belong to a group that I do not like. I have attended a large number of both types of sporting event at league and international level in my 61 years. I speak from experience.
You speak from your arse.

Mellow Hibee
09-05-2015, 08:49 AM

The answer though is to take appropriate action against people displaying those type of behaviours though.

I could have quite happily sat next to you at Easter Road having had 4 or 5 pints pre-match, but you wouldn't class me with those folk because I'm a terrible nice chap. :aok:

Newcastlehibby
10-05-2015, 10:11 PM
You speak from your arse.

Verbal aggression. I rest my case.

Newcastlehibby
10-05-2015, 10:15 PM
The answer though is to take appropriate action against people displaying those type of behaviours though.

I could have quite happily sat next to you at Easter Road having had 4 or 5 pints pre-match, but you wouldn't class me with those folk because I'm a terrible nice chap. :aok:

I agree.
So which is it, terrible or nice? :wink: I have no issue with people who behave themselves. Beside, you would probably be in the lavvy for most of the first half.

givescotlandfreedom
10-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Better class of fan eh? Not from my experience having lived and worked around Twickenham for many years. Usually it was 'banter' when rugby lads were involved. 'Yobbery ' when it was football fans.

I work with the public and there are many bell ends when Scotland are at Murrayfield. I do feel they get treated differently undeservedly too despite misbehaving.

Bad Martini
11-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Look at the back of the ticket. There is already a condition that states you wont get in if you are drunk...cany remember the precise wording but it's there to tell you if reeking, with or without ticket, the polis will send you on yer way.

Everyone else by definition is therefore "not reeking" therefore WTAF is the problem? Breathalysers??? Total pile of pish. For polis, if demanded, yes. For anyone else, GTF. Endof.

In closing, I would also alert you to the existing stop and search and other powers the local constabularly have. Super powers, it would seem :greengrin ....someone I know, who shall remain nameless, in his "younger" days swaggered down to Easter Road having had a couple of shandies and having stopped at Franks at the top of Easter Road, purchased two cold cans of lager. Slipping into his pocket and carrying on his merry way, he attempted to slip into the stadium. Nope. Local constabularly spotted said young erse, made him empty the beer doon the drain (not even keeping it for after :greengrin ...nor laughing at the sugestion they "keep shootay on the cans til he returned" :greengrin).....then, seeing he wasnt reeking but a mere "chancer" told him to get in before the game started. Nae hassle, nae swedging, nae nothing.

So, I cannot remember what the moral of the story is but I do know from my mate.........the polis have superpowers in finding hidden cans of beer and spotting real drunks.:agree:

ENDOF I think.

proud_and_green
11-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Really quite bizarre and i am not entirely sure that refusing someone who is twice the drink drive limit (that would be 100 mg per 100 mililitres of blood in Scotland) is going to necessarily change anything. Bear in mind that the new limit is around half a pint of average strength (4%) beer or about 1 unit of alcohol so this would be suggesting you could not get in with more than a pint or so in your system. (The limit in England is 80 mg per 100 ml so perhaps that would allow you to have around 4 units or two pints of alcohol).

It strikes me as a very lazy and process driven way of dealing with a problem. Alcohol is only one part of an equation that results in violence, it also includes fatigue, current mood and latent psychological state of the individual amongst others. Football violence is also a mob phenomenom and the combined impact of factors across the whole of it will determine the likelihood of trouble.

Perhaps they could do some from of psychometric test to determine whether a fan has a predeliction to trouble as well as an alchohol test; combine the two and that would decide whether they were allowed in or not. They could also aggregate the results of all the tests across the whole crowd to understand the general mood and make a decision on whether a game should go ahead or not.

Stewards and coppers with the right training are the best way to stop people getting in who shouldn't. That said they seldom do stop them! A quick eye up and down will tell you more than a breathalyser will.

Still i am sure someone has been given a great big pat on the back for coming up with "innovatiove and ground breaking solutions" to old problems.

Eyrie
11-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Considering the number of times that posters on here have reported been on the receiving end of unacceptable behaviour (regardless of whether alcohol was involved) and the stewards have done nothing, I can't see this making any difference.