PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Football Suspended indefinitely?

Just Alf
07-05-2015, 07:11 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32618821

"The Spanish football federation says it is suspending indefinitely all end-of-season games in disputes with the government, including over TV rights.
A federation statement said it was also unhappy with receiving only 4.55% of pools revenue, though it said it was still open to dialogue.
All matches will be suspended from 16 May, including the domestic cup final."

Imagine that happening here just now, would drive me up the wall!

Are they doing the right thing? Apart from a couple of teams at the top I thing Spanish footy is pretty poor financially (sounds vaguely familiar!)

Keith_M
07-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Is this just greed from a bunch of rich clubs or am I doing them a disservice?

Real Madrid, for instance, were just announced as the richest club in the world for the third year running.

EDIT: Apparently I am, as it seems they want a fairer distribution of money. Too much TV money is going to the Big Two (sounds familiar)

green&left
07-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Is this just greed from a bunch of rich clubs or am I doing them a disservice?

Real Madrid, for instance, were just announced as the richest club in the world for the third year running.

EDIT: Apparently I am, as it seems they want a fairer distribution of money. Too much TV money is going to the Big Two (sounds familiar)

Differnce being our TV money is based on where you finish in the league. Madrid and Barca neogiate their own TV deals i believe. Good on the others for taking action.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm sure in Spain each club negotiates their own TV deal. So Barcelona and Real Madrid hoover up the majority and the rest scrap for the crumbs from the table.

Sergio sledge
07-05-2015, 08:22 AM
I've not read up properly on this, but I think that the league (equivalent to the SPFL) have agreed a deal with the government of Spain to have a collective TV agreement so that Barca and Real don't negotiate their own deals. The football association (equivalent to the SFA) and the players union think that the deal is unfair as it still gives too much money to the top division and not enough to the lower leagues. Some clubs in Spain, particularly in the lower leagues are in dire straits financially and are wanting a fairer distribution of money with more going to the smaller clubs. I think the players union had already threatened to strike over it.

Sounds like the football association and players are doing the right thing. I wish the equivalent organisations in Scotland had the balls to stand up and do what they've done in Spain to get a fairer distribution of cash.

Just Alf
07-05-2015, 11:11 AM
I've not read up properly on this, but I think that the league (equivalent to the SPFL) have agreed a deal with the government of Spain to have a collective TV agreement so that Barca and Real don't negotiate their own deals. The football association (equivalent to the SFA) and the players union think that the deal is unfair as it still gives too much money to the top division and not enough to the lower leagues. Some clubs in Spain, particularly in the lower leagues are in dire straits financially and are wanting a fairer distribution of money with more going to the smaller clubs. I think the players union had already threatened to strike over it.

Sounds like the football association and players are doing the right thing. I wish the equivalent organisations in Scotland had the balls to stand up and do what they've done in Spain to get a fairer distribution of cash.

:top marks

that's exactly how i see it as well......

would still be driving me to distraction if it happened here this season right now.... I'm stressed enough as it is..

DH1875
07-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Talk of this years cup final being cancelled as well.