PDA

View Full Version : FA told Graham Taylor not to pick too many black players for England

O'Rourke3
06-05-2015, 07:24 PM
FA told Graham Taylor not to pick too many black players for England

http://gu.com/p/486p4
No sheidt Sherlock and Bobby Robson was probably told the same. Why else would Barnes not start against Argentina in Mexico? In the 20 mins he was on he nearly ripped Argentina a new one.

3pm
06-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Suppose he got his own back by picking Carlton Palmer.

Andy74
06-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Taylor claims this is nonsense.

Big_Franck
06-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Taylor claims this is nonsense.

Did he claim it was nonsense in a different article? The only article i've read on this is the guardian one linked above. His reply to the claims put to him in the article above was:

Taylor has been made aware of the book and told the Guardian he could not specifically remember the conversation with Moran. “That is not me trying to evade it – and it also doesn’t mean I didn’t say it – but if anyone looks at my record with club and country it would be obvious to everyone anyway that I didn’t follow what was apparently said. If anyone looks at my record, I could never be accused of blocking the way for any black player.”

That's not a very convincing denial.

Andy74
06-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Did he claim it was nonsense in a different article? The only article i've read on this is the guardian one linked above. His reply to the claims put to him in the article above was:

Taylor has been made aware of the book and told the Guardian he could not specifically remember the conversation with Moran. “That is not me trying to evade it – and it also doesn’t mean I didn’t say it – but if anyone looks at my record with club and country it would be obvious to everyone anyway that I didn’t follow what was apparently said. If anyone looks at my record, I could never be accused of blocking the way for any black player.”

That's not a very convincing denial.

Maybe completely wrong as opposed to nonsense:

Taylor told BBC Radio 5 live: "I have no memory of that conversation."

He added: "I never had any problem in regards to team selection concerning black players from the FA.

"My record as regards the selection of black players at international and at club level is there for people to see. To have my name linked with that kind of thing is completely wrong."

O'Rourke3
06-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Suppose he got his own back by picking Carlton Palmer.
:faf:

Cabbage East
06-05-2015, 08:56 PM
If someone accused me of that I would go ****ing mental. I'd make sure everyone knew it was lies. He doesn't really do that does he...

Andy74
06-05-2015, 09:03 PM
If someone accused me of that I would go ****ing mental. I'd make sure everyone knew it was lies. He doesn't really do that does he...

It wasn't him that was being accused though. It was the FA.

Argylehibby
06-05-2015, 09:32 PM
It wasn't him that was being accused though. It was the FA.

true but if he accepted it it doesn't really say much for him as an individual. I'd be saying (loudly) "I picked the team on merit and i didn't care what colour they were if they were the best player to do the job".

Andy74
06-05-2015, 09:44 PM
true but if he accepted it it doesn't really say much for him as an individual. I'd be saying (loudly) "I picked the team on merit and i didn't care what colour they were if they were the best player to do the job".

He is saying that.

Big_Franck
06-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Maybe completely wrong as opposed to nonsense:

Taylor told BBC Radio 5 live: "I have no memory of that conversation."

He added: "I never had any problem in regards to team selection concerning black players from the FA.

"My record as regards the selection of black players at international and at club level is there for people to see. To have my name linked with that kind of thing is completely wrong."

I find it strange that he doesn't actually deny it there either. He is saying that he has no memory of that particular conversation.

If this didn't happen he could easily be clear and state that he was never given any such instructions by the FA. Instead he avoids that and refers people to his record on selecting black players.

Big_Franck
06-05-2015, 09:53 PM

He is saying that.

I agree, he's been clear that he never considered a player's race when selecting his teams.

For me he has avoided the question on whether he had any instructions from the FA to do otherwise, though.

LaMotta
06-05-2015, 09:56 PM
I find it strange that he doesn't actually deny it there either. He is saying that he has no memory of that particular conversation.

If this didn't happen he could easily be clear and state that he was never given any such instructions by the FA. Instead he avoids that and refers people to his record on selecting black players.

I agree, he's been clear that he never considered a player's race when selecting his teams.

For me he has avoided the question on whether he had any instructions from the FA to do otherwise, though.

:agree::agree:

lord bunberry
06-05-2015, 10:23 PM

The fact that he avoided the question makes me think it's true. I very much doubt he would forget such a conversation. He could've put the story to bed by saying the conversation didn't happen.

jacomo
06-05-2015, 11:03 PM
The fact that he avoided the question makes me think it's true. I very much doubt he would forget such a conversation. He could've put the story to bed by saying the conversation didn't happen.

GT being very careful with his words. He's not denying the central allegation, he's refusing to confirm it in public.

He must have known this would become public one day, if he's told the story on several occasions.

lord bunberry
07-05-2015, 12:21 AM
GT being very careful with his words. He's not denying the central allegation, he's refusing to confirm it in public.

He must have known this would become public one day, if he's told the story on several occasions.
Is not admitting the truth not making him look bad though? I've no idea if these allegations are true or not, but Taylor being evasive makes me think there's some truth in them.

jacomo
07-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Is not admitting the truth not making him look bad though? I've no idea if these allegations are true or not, but Taylor being evasive makes me think there's some truth in them.

Yes it's possible that some people will think Graham Taylor selected some players on the colour of their skin rather than their ability.

Having read the story I don't think that's the case, but it does seem that he was told by the hierarchy not to have 'too many' black players.

Keith_M
07-05-2015, 09:29 AM
There is no way that a Manager would forget a conversation where they were told not to pick too many Black Players.

GT saying he 'can't remember' such a conversation is just evasion.

If this was untrue, he would have stated so very clearly.

lyonhibs
07-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Quite clearly, he was told to keep a lid on the number of black players he selected.

Similarly, IMO, he quite clearly disregerded these "suggestions". What a bloody mess to have, within my lifetime, at the upper echelons of the FA, some unashamed racists trying to influence the England manager.

:bitchy:

CropleyWasGod
07-05-2015, 10:00 AM

I watched a programme recently about John Barnes.

GT was interviewed in it. He was quite clear that JB didn't play his best for England, hence wasn't always first pick.

JB had other thoughts, though

Andy74
07-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Quite clearly, he was told to keep a lid on the number of black players he selected.

Similarly, IMO, he quite clearly disregerded these "suggestions". What a bloody mess to have, within my lifetime, at the upper echelons of the FA, some unashamed racists trying to influence the England manager.

:bitchy:

How do you take 'quite clearly' from any of what is out there?

You have one person alleging that he had a conversation with Taylor where Taylor has told him that the FA asked him to do this.

Taylor is saying he has no recollection of that conversation or one with the FA. He has also said he had no selection issues with the FA and his record in who he has picked supports that.

I'm not sure anything is clear that any of those conversations took place.

Keith_M
07-05-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure anything is clear that any of those conversations took place.

It's hardly likely that something like that would slip your mind, so if it didn't take place, he should just say so.

His evasive answer suggests that this actually did happen.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2015, 12:21 PM
It's hardly likely that something like that would slip your mind, so if it didn't take place, he should just say so.

His evasive answer suggests that this actually did happen.

That's how I read it.

If I was told not to employ 'too many' black people at my work I'm 100% sure I'd remember that conversation.

--------
07-05-2015, 02:04 PM

:agree:

That's my reading of it. He can't remember a particular conversation; he answers the question by referring to his record on picking black players (which was outstanding for the time, btw); but he doesn't just come out and say that he was never told not to pick black players, or not to pick so many black players when selecting England teams.

I've no doubt that Graham Taylor didn't operate a racist selection policy when England manager. In fact, he was more than willing to pick his men on talent and ability without reference to the colour of their skins. As a club manager with teams like Watford and Villa he was more ready than most to give opportunities to black players like John Barnes and Luther Blissett.

But if 'The Guardian' is suggesting that a bunch of suits at Lancaster Gate sought to put pressure on him not to pick black players for England, then I wouldn't waste my breath suggesting it wasn't so.