PDA

View Full Version : Media Richie Towell: "I don't care" about Pat Fenlon

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, I spoke to Richie Towell again recently and asked him how it felt to now actually be the star man in a team 6 points ahead of Shamrock Rovers, managed by Pat Fenlon, who deemed him not good enough at Hibs. Listen to his interesting response from 13:53

https://youtu.be/SstNYwrzurs?t=833

PerfectlyFranck
05-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Not as much as "I don't care" about Richie Towell.

LancsHibs
05-05-2015, 01:19 PM
I had actually forgotten who he was already! I bearly remember who Pat Fenlon was!

SteveHFC
05-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Who the **** is Richie Towell?

snooky
05-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Sounded a reasonable response to me. I thought Ritchie was alright a player when he was with us. Nowhere near the worst we had at that time, IMO.

--------
05-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Who the **** is Richie Towell?

http://spforever.uw.hu/Kepek/img_40.gif

He's the one on the right. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2015, 02:30 PM
He looks about 3 stone lighter now.

California-Hibs
05-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Richie Towell was hopeless. Look how far we've came now in terms of real quality compaired to him. Gray, Foster, Watson, Boyle, Alan, Mcgeough etc. all players who play in the position Towell was deployed at when with us. Thank goodness we moved on from that type of standard of player.

As has been said, theres certainly been worse, but he just didn't cut the mustard with me.

Billychaotic182
05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
The guys commenting have probably not seen him play the past few years. He has improved leaps and bounds. Would easily get a game for a team in the spfl.

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
He's at least as good as Robertson and I'd say better than Craig. Personally I'd say he's at the same level as McGeough. He's currently a step above anything in a League of Ireland which includes international players Keith Fahey, Liam Miller, Colin Healy, Stephen McPhail and more.

Watch his amazing goal yesterday here.
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/video-richie-towell-scores-a-tasty-7-out-of-10-van-basten-for-dundalk/23489?utm_content=buffer93619&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Pete
05-05-2015, 04:26 PM
He's at least as good as Robertson and I'd say better than Craig. Personally I'd say he's at the same level as McGeough.

Are you sure this is the same Ritchie Towell who played for hibs? Doesn't sound like him to me unless he's found Billys boots (one for the teenagers).

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Are you sure this is the same Ritchie Towell who played for hibs? Doesn't sound like him to me unless he's found Billys boots (one for the teenagers).

He's scored 10 league goals I think from midfield in only 11 games

Golden Bear
05-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Richie played a blinder for Hibs in his first league league despite gifting the opposition their opening goal. Thereafter his Hibernian career was less than memorable but he was by no means the worst player during a very depressing era for the Club.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Fenlon wasn't wrong though, when Towell was here he wasn't good enough for Hibs.

HibbyAndy
05-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Short with a pass back on his debut against Sevco at hame and they scored.

Useless.

lord bunberry
05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
He wasn't up to much when here, but he's obviously knuckled down and he's reaping the benefits. Good luck to the guy.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Each to their own but FFS Hibees can we not just move on... ?

if we don't learn the lessons of Hibstory... fine but there's little to be gained from dredging up the past that by and large quality forgot ?

Andy74
05-05-2015, 06:03 PM
He's at least as good as Robertson and I'd say better than Craig. Personally I'd say he's at the same level as McGeough. He's currently a step above anything in a League of Ireland which includes international players Keith Fahey, Liam Miller, Colin Healy, Stephen McPhail and more.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/video-richie-towell-scores-a-tasty-7-out-of-10-van-basten-for-dundalk/23489?utm_content=buffer93619&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Steady on.

Stokesy's on fire
05-05-2015, 06:07 PM
He couldn't hold back his smile when our achievements were mentioned to him and for that reason he's a good guy he was happy to see the Hibees doing well! Good man!

rcarter1
05-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Players change and develop, the one that always rings -annoyingly- in my mind is Paul Hartley. He was unrecognizable a few years after leaving us. Im prepared to accept that RT may well be leaps and bounds better than what we saw. Good on him.

J-C
05-05-2015, 07:21 PM
He was played at RB when midfield was his position, look at Stevenson now he's got a steady position and one that suits him.

Jdawg
05-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Take your blinkers off mate, the boy was below standard. Scott Allan or Ritchie Towell. Robertson and Craig are far better. There is a reason is back in Ireland. Plus, not heard of any decent clubs swooping in to sign him.

Fenlon was great in Ireland and rank rotten in scotland. Bought 100 DM's and no RB.

EastCalderHibby
05-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Fenlon wasn't wrong though, when Towell was here he wasn't good enough for Hibs.

neither was fenlon or most of his teams

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Take your blinkers off mate, the boy was below standard. Scott Allan or Ritchie Towell. Robertson and Craig are far better. There is a reason is back in Ireland. Plus, not heard of any decent clubs swooping in to sign him.

Fenlon was great in Ireland and rank rotten in scotland. Bought 100 DM's and no RB.

Cardiff offered near 100k for him over the off-season break and Dundalk thought they were low-balling them.

Jdawg
05-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Cardiff offered near 100k for him over the off-season break and Dundalk thought they were low-balling them.

Take the money and run.

Bostonhibby
05-05-2015, 08:08 PM
The feeling is probably mutual. Guess he has found his level.

Cabbage East
He's now doing well in a league that's a much lower standard. Good luck to him.

InterviewLoI
Take the money and run.

See Richie will lead Dundalk to the league this year meaning 100k off the bat for winning the league, thus meaning crowds will stay up and possibly increase. He will also be pivotal in possible advances in the Champions League which could end up being worth millions. I believe this Dundalk team are better than the Shamrock Rovers team who made the Europa league group stage in 2011 so Richie could end up potentially being worth over a million euro to them. Smart move from the Dundalk board. He also seems to love being the most fancied man in the league :P

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 08:12 PM
The feeling is probably mutual. Guess he has found his level.

I'm not 100% sure if it is. I'm sure Fenlon would love a midfielder who has scored more goals than both his main strikers put together. Then again, Fenlon's Rovers play a totally different system than Dundalk. he also has two fully capped internationals in McPhail and Fahey

Bostonhibby
05-05-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm not 100% sure if it is. I'm sure Fenlon would love a midfielder who has scored more goals than both his main strikers put together. Then again, Fenlon's Rovers play a totally different system than Dundalk. he also has two fully capped internationals in McPhail and Fahey

Maybe PF is the bigger man right enough and he will be more respectful about RT than RT seems to be of him on the strength of your post. Sounding like RT is enjoying being a big fish in a smaller pond. Good luck to him.

NYHibby
05-05-2015, 08:18 PM

Some of those "international players" haven't received a cap in over a decade. Ireland hasn't called up anyone from LoI in like 8 years. I think you're going to need to find a more convincing argument.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Maybe took a step back to take a step forwards? Not sure how near the Celtc first team he was when he came to us.

Jdawg
05-05-2015, 08:31 PM
See Richie will lead Dundalk to the league this year meaning 100k off the bat for winning the league, thus meaning crowds will stay up and possibly increase. He will also be pivotal in possible advances in the Champions League which could end up being worth millions. I believe this Dundalk team are better than the Shamrock Rovers team who made the Europa league group stage in 2011 so Richie could end up potentially being worth over a million euro to them. Smart move from the Dundalk board. He also seems to love being the most fancied man in the league :P

Capacity of 4.5k, what are they getting at the moment?

A nugget of 'gold' in a field of jobbies

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Some of those "international players" haven't received a cap in over a decade. Ireland hasn't called up anyone from LoI in like 8 years. I think you're going to need to find a more convincing argument.

Fahey was in the Euro 2012 squad and the Germany one and then got a really serious injury. He's probably not ready for a call-up but the serious talk is that Dane Massey, the Dundalk left-back, will get a call-up in the next friendly. Richie has also been called up to the international set-up since moving home, but wasn't named in the match-day squad. Maybe some teams are poor but I think all you had to do was watch Dundalk's demolition of Bray to see that they at least could easily cut it in the SPL

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Maybe took a step back to take a step forwards? Not sure how near the Celtc first team he was when he came to us.

He was not even close. way farther than McGeough would be for example.

Bostonhibby
05-05-2015, 08:33 PM

Using a geographical metaphor, he is closer to it now than he ever was then

InterviewLoI
05-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Capacity of 4.5k, what are they getting at the moment?

A nugget of 'gold' in a field of jobbies

They had 3.5k at the Bray game on Monday, to put that in context, a grand total of 78 bray fans travelled. If they get through one round in the CL then that means they will have had 3 home European sell-out games, two of which will likely be moved to a bigger better Dublin ground meaning more income. Towell is Dundalk's most marketable asset this year. They also stick his face on almost everything they sell and girls scream like he's a member of the Beatles when he comes out after matches. He's worth a lot more than 100k to Dundalk

keep the faith
05-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Always appreciate your updates InterviewLOI. Thanks for taking the time for letting us know a former player is doing well and for continuing to promote our club accross the water.
Some disappointingly superior responses to you on this thread which I think are a bit harsh.
keep up the good work.

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2015, 12:48 AM
neither was fenlon or most of his teamsYes, hounding him out and getting Butcher in was clearly the right decision.

givescotlandfreedom
06-05-2015, 03:20 AM
Towell could take a long throw in. Other than that I don't remember much about his time here.

macd123
06-05-2015, 04:01 AM
Always appreciate your updates InterviewLOI. Thanks for taking the time for letting us know a former player is doing well and for continuing to promote our club accross the water.
Some disappointingly superior responses to you on this thread which I think are a bit harsh.
keep up the good work.

Agreed. I have no idea where the arrogance of some folk on here comes from.

Speedy
06-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Agreed. I have no idea where the arrogance of some folk on here comes from.

I'm not surprised in this case as the topic and some of the comments could be perceived as antagonistic.

The gist of the thread is that Towell doesn't care about Fenlon (or likely by extension Hibs) because he's moved on to better things - playing in a team who will be competing in Europe and he's now better than half our midfield.

It's a bit like telling a guy his sister is a better ride than his fat ugly wife. It may be true but he's not guaranteed to take the news positively.

NYHibby
06-05-2015, 08:06 AM
keep up the good work.

As one of the people who posted something slightly negative, I don't think most people were criticising InterviewLoI or his series of videos in general.

Most people were committing that regardless of Towell's current level of play, he was not good enough to play in the SPL when he left us in 2012. Other people were reacting to Interview's implicit statements on the quality of the League of Ireland, a league whose coefficient is worse than Liechtenstein's.

InterviewLoI was slightly sensationalising Towie's comments, which I took as a 23 year old trying to get through a topic which he is indifferent on, in order to increase views of his videos which he gets paid for by YouTube. When reporters sensationalise player's comments, they tend to get criticised.

Thecat23
06-05-2015, 08:15 AM

No chance, if he was he'd be playing in a better league. No disrespect to LOI but Towell wasn't that great and he wouldn't get near our midfield.

Edit... For the record, I'm not having a go and enjoy the interviews you post. Keep up the good work!

Viva_Palmeiras
06-05-2015, 08:18 AM
One word boys: Wendy James

https://vimeo.com/49118100

Andy74
06-05-2015, 08:23 AM

I think he bought 3 right backs.

Bostonhibby
06-05-2015, 08:44 AM
As one of the people who posted something slightly negative, I don't think most people were criticising InterviewLoI or his series of videos in general.

Most people were committing that regardless of Towell's current level of play, he was not good enough to play in the SPL when he left us in 2012. Other people were reacting to Interview's implicit statements on the quality of the League of Ireland, a league whose coefficient is worse than Liechtenstein's.

InterviewLoI was slightly sensationalising Towie's comments, which I took as a 23 year old trying to get through a topic which he is indifferent on, in order to increase views of his videos which he gets paid for by YouTube. When reporters sensationalise player's comments, they tend to get criticised.

:agree: This

I have been positive directly about the LOI interviews also and think they're worthwhile, but its surely possible to separate the interviewee from the interviewer? Here people seem to have responded to RT's comments about PF. There's also some realistic stuff about comparables of SPFL and LOI.

For all his shortcomings PF plainly cared about Hibs and is still respected for that at least - RT didn't bring a lot to Hibs and wasn't there for very long so I doubt he will ever be given any similar status in fans minds so maybe it's not an unnatural reaction to respond critically to Towells' "I don't care about Fenlon" remark, but its plainly his remark and not down to the interviewer / OP!

Thecat23
06-05-2015, 08:46 AM
I think he bought 3 right backs.

Towell was a midfielder was he not? Just Played RB for us. Or have I got this wrong?

superfurryhibby
06-05-2015, 08:55 AM
A bit of fuss over nowt. Towell asked if being above Fenlon's team in the league gave him additional satisfaction. Towell said he didn't care about Fenlon and simply stated it's all part of the game, managers preferences etc.

Towell won't be the last player to leave ER and improve elsewhere.

The debate around the quality of LOI, hard for me to comment, but I would ask, is it any worse than the Scottish second tier? Don't forget, we have a fair few players who have come in and played at our level, whom we fans rate very highly. My point is that you can only judge players against what you see from them, at the level they play at. The rest is conjecture.

Carheenlea
06-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Maybe some teams are poor but I think all you had to do was watch Dundalk's demolition of Bray to see that they at least could easily cut it in the SPL

My experience of Irish football has been at Terryland Park watching Galway Utd. I've never seen anything to convince me that LOI is on a par with SPFL, but that is probably more down to Galway! Most recent game was United v Sligo in April, and despite Sligo bringing a decent number down and creating a good atmosphere, what I saw on the pitch was something to quickly forget! Still, would much rather watch that than English football on Sky, and maybe when I'm back in the summer their fortunes may have picked up.

WeeRussell
06-05-2015, 11:15 AM
No chance, if he was he'd be playing in a better league. No disrespect to LOI but Towell wasn't that great and he wouldn't get near our midfield.

Edit... For the record, I'm not having a go and enjoy the interviews you post. Keep up the good work!

Yep - that's about it for me :aok:

Andy74
06-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Towell was a midfielder was he not? Just Played RB for us. Or have I got this wrong?

I lose track but was Towell not a Calderwood signing?

I was thinking of Clancy, Maybury and Mullen as 3 that Fenlon signed.

Obviously those didn't work out largely but I think in Clancy at least he was trying to cover that position and didn't just ignore the fact we needed one.

Thecat23
06-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Obviously those didn't work out largely but I think in Clancy at least he was trying to cover that position and didn't just ignore the fact we needed one.

Yeah Calderwood did sign Ritchie I think. I was delighted when Clancy signed I rated him but sadly we all know how that turned out!

3pm
06-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Yeah Calderwood did sign Ritchie I think. I was delighted when Clancy signed I rated him but sadly we all know how that turned out!

Injuries scuppered Clancy - he was OK. Had a big mooth though.

Thecat23
06-05-2015, 12:14 PM

Yeah he didn't really say many good things about the club to be fair!

easty
06-05-2015, 12:20 PM

The 4-3 semi with Falkirk, you could have picked almost anyone out the crowd at hampden and put them on instead on Clancy and they would have had a better game, he was awful.

IWasThere2016
06-05-2015, 12:45 PM

:agree:

Using a geographical metaphor, he is closer to it now than he ever was then

:top marks

InterviewLoI
06-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Hey I accept all of this criticism and hope it can be helpful in developing my style and quality in the future. I decided to use that quote because I thought it was relevant to Hibs fans interested in former players. I also believe that any league of Ireland team would beat a Lichtenstein side. Then again, I accept all opinions. I think people should watch clips of Dundalk this year to see just how good they are and just how good Towell has become.

As always thanks so much for all feedback! I really appreciate it!

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Hey I accept all of this criticism and hope it can be helpful in developing my style and quality in the future. I decided to use that quote because I thought it was relevant to Hibs fans interested in former players. I also believe that any league of Ireland team would beat a Lichtenstein side. Then again, I accept all opinions. I think people should watch clips of Dundalk this year to see just how good they are and just how good Towell has become.

As always thanks so much for all feedback! I really appreciate it!

There's always the chance that he's improved, he was nothing special at Hibs and we rightly got rid. Maybe he's buckled down and thought this could be his last chance, and to be fair you will have seen a lot more of him recently than any of us. :aok:

portyhibernian
06-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Who cares what Richie Towell thinks of Fenlon, neither are associated with Hibs anymore thankfully.

Jdawg
06-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Can I anend my post to a decent right back? :)