PDA

View Full Version : Liam Craig

bingo70
02-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Sounds like he's had another good game today. Do people think he's done enough to get a new contract?

A month ago I thought no chance, I'm probably still leaning towards I hope not but it's great he's giving Stubbs a decision to make.

There's a lot to be said for continuity so I wouldn't be too upset if he was to get a new deal.

dmc1875
02-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Hes played well last couple of games and was all over the park today. He's shown up well in big games this season I think its possible he gets a new deal

cleanyman
02-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Craig Is a good professional.

Determined to get us back up, you can tell with his celebrations.

Falkirk have been in touch, I'd offer him a year but he would get another club no bother

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Was very good today, happily keep him.

RCNG
02-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Held the midfield together today. I think he and Allan compliment themselves now. Allan gets a free roam with the ball whilst Craig does too he is there to tidy up.

marinello59
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
He was man of the match by a mile for me today.
I'll trust our managers judgement on whether he gets a new contract or not.

bingo70
02-05-2015, 05:29 PM

You can still have an opinion though! ;-)

I trust Stubbs but I still think I'd like better than Craig, especially if we go up.

ManBearPig
02-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Had couple of idiots behind me who thought otherwise and were criticising everything he did! However they didnt seem to have same comments when allan lost ball cheaply!

was grateful of the older chap in front of me who told them to shut up!

I thought he was cool and calm and exactly what we need in the playoffs.

marinello59
02-05-2015, 05:33 PM
You can still have an opinion though! ;-)

I trust Stubbs but I still think I'd like better than Craig, especially if we go up.

If we go up? When we go up. :greengrin

Jdawg
02-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Had couple of idiots behind me who thought otherwise and were criticising everything he did! However they didnt seem to have same comments when allan lost ball cheaply!

Pathetic from these type of fans. Some of the shouts I hear in the East stand at times make me wonder if they know anything about football

weecounty hibby
02-05-2015, 05:40 PM
He was my MOM today. Worked his arse off and led by example. I would give him another deal

StarMan10
02-05-2015, 06:13 PM
We seem way more balanced with him in the midfield. Played well again today.

allezsauzee
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
I think Liam will get offers to play in the Premier League if we decide not to offer him a deal.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2015, 06:22 PM
He's been superb the last 2 weeks.

He looks like he's playing with a bit more freedom and that's helped his game massively.

IWASTHERE1902
02-05-2015, 06:29 PM

Not so sure about man of the match but he played well again. MOTM has been strange for me this season, always ask the laddie after the game who his MOTM was and we both struggle sometimes, and I think that shows it has been a real team effort all season. Obviously Allan stands out but equally so do a lot of the others. I'm struggling to think who my MOTM was today - all played well.

JJP
02-05-2015, 06:34 PM
I like Liam Craig and I'm hoping he will be staying. I hope the vast majority of the current squad is still here next season with a couple more additions so we can see how they will do in the top league.

Calum68
02-05-2015, 06:37 PM
My MoM today. I thought he had a great game and led by example.

Hannah_hfc
02-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Glad he's proving the majority of us wrong. I'll admit there was games where I questioned his role within the squad but if he's putting in the performances when being called upon, good on him and credit to him for being so professional!

theonlywayisup
02-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Let me think about it!!!

Played poorly last season in the Premier League and went missing when we needed him. Played well in his last three games (out of 36) in the Championship when we have been the dominant team.

No! Not for me!

The_Sauz
02-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Let me think about it!!!

Played poorly last season in the Premier League and went missing when we needed him. Played well in his last three games (out of 36) in the Championship when we have been the dominant team.

No! Not for me!

Glad you are not a manager of a football team if you judge a player by the last 3 games and the whole season before (half of that season we never used a midfield) :confused:

Blaster
02-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I said last week he gives Allan the freedom and space to play his natural game

Well played today Liam.

Alfred E Newman
02-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Say what you like about Liam, he has been dignified throughout what must have been a frustrating time for him . Even though he has been left on the bench for long spells he has always been supportive of the manager and team and continued to fulfil his duties as club captain in the proper manner. I've not been his greatest fan at times but he has been excellent in the last couple of games.

Boyle89
02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Played well today. I think being ex Falkirk made him that bit more aggressive. Won challenges and kept it simple.
Needs to cut out the arguing with the ref though.
I did like it when he had a go at malonga when he got booked. Looked as if he made it clear not to do that again.

Pete
02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Let me think about it!!!

No! Not for me!

I don't think he's ever went missing.

Stuarty27
02-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Ive been one of Liam Craigs biggest critics but today his 2nd half performance was his best in a Hibs jersey by a country mile.

Played like a captain.

Would still play McGeough or Fyvie in front of him tho.

theonlywayisup
02-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Glad you are not a manager of a football team if you judge a player by the last 3 games and the whole season before (half of that season we never used a midfield) :confused:

Totally bizarre post! Prey tell which games you are basing your opinion on.

LaMotta
02-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Played well today. I think being ex Falkirk made him that bit more aggressive. Won challenges and kept it simple.
Needs to cut out the arguing with the ref though.
I did like it when he had a go at malonga when he got booked. Looked as if he made it clear not to do that again.

Dont mind him having a go at the ref. We missed it in the recent huns game.

With the fight and urgency he brings provides a good balance to the midfield.

Golden Bear
02-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Ive been one of Liam Craigs biggest critics but today his 2nd half performance was his best in a Hibs jersey by a country mile.

Played like a captain.

Would still play McGeough or Fyvie in front of him tho.

Different types of players altogether and for a start I doubt if either of them will be with us next season regardless of which league we play in.

HappyAsHellas
02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
His attitude is fantastic - he was the first one on the pitch at the end of the derby to jump on Farid and salute the fans. It must be really frustrating for him sitting it out for long periods when he can be an integral part of this team. With Fyvie, McGeoch and Allan we lack a natural balance and that's what he's bringing to the team with good solid performances. We do have more fight in the middle of the park when he's there and we'll need it in the play offs, irrespective of who we face. It's a nice problem for a manger to have but whether he's in the first 11 or not I'll be happy if we get him signed up again.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Not sure if he would want to stay? For me at least, I think any offer to Craig would be dependant on who else leaves.

hibees 7062
02-05-2015, 09:20 PM

The old guy ? :greengrin

GreenCastle
02-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Played well again today - looks really fired up and keen to prove he's good enough to start.

long may it continue as he rarely wastes a pass. Changed days when he didn't look confident / was playing in a role that didn't suit him.

02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
I think since he's been left out the team and been fighting to get back in it we've maybe seen the best of him. Not sure if when he was guaranteed a start he got complacent. I think I'd like to see him stay, but perhaps not club captain.

The_Sauz
02-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Totally bizarre post! Prey tell which games you are basing your opinion on.

Clearly based on the games you missed :rolleyes:

ManBearPig
02-05-2015, 09:45 PM
The old guy ? :greengrin
Yeah him as well!!

Borderhibbie76
03-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Have to admit ive been a critic of Craig's in the past but his attitude during his spell out the team was exemplary and he has been great the last 2 weeks. Whilst ability wise he is not our best midfielder...the team does look to be more balanced when he plays and it seems to suit Scott Allan

Canon Hannan
03-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Great attitude yesterday. He was fighting like a lion and really raising the tempo. Good player.

theonlywayisup
03-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Clearly based on the games you missed :rolleyes:

I'm really struggling to know where you are going with this one. Yes he has played well in the last three games. It is not uncommon for players at the end of their contract to start to up their game. But should he be given a new contract. It's a NO from me. I've seen enough poor performances from Liam Craig. That's my opinion. At the end of the day, it will be up to Alan Stubbs, Liam Craig and Dempster.

southern hibby
03-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Said in another post best games against The Rangers was with Craig in the team. Gave a balance that was needed and allowed the other members of midfield to strutt their stuff.
The posters on here who said take the captaincy away from him and let him just concentrate on his game have it spot on ima.

Liam may have had a bad season last year, but most of the team did under tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber, this year big difference.

GGTTH

PatHead
03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
His attitude is fantastic - he was the first one on the pitch at the end of the derby to jump on Farid and salute the fans. It must be really frustrating for him sitting it out for long periods when he can be an integral part of this team. With Fyvie, McGeoch and Allan we lack a natural balance and that's what he's bringing to the team with good solid performances. We do have more fight in the middle of the park when he's there and we'll need it in the play offs, irrespective of who we face. It's a nice problem for a manger to have but whether he's in the first 11 or not I'll be happy if we get him signed up again.

Agree entirely, much as I like the other players individually I feel there is a better balance with him and Robertson in the middle

spike220
03-05-2015, 10:56 AM

Liam or the chap sitting in front of you??

My_Wife_Camille
03-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Liam Craig has played well the last couple of games and was probably our best player today. Along with Rangers at home in December and the 6-3 game away to Dumbarton where he was also good, I make that about 4 decent performances from him this season which is double what he managed last year.

I really hope hope he keeps this form up over the play off games but I still think as evidenced over the last 2 seasons as a whole, we really need better players than Liam Craig if we are to push on.

lord bunberry
03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Let me think about it!!!

No! Not for me!
Nor me

Alfred E Newman
03-05-2015, 12:26 PM
He was guest on Radio Scotland this lunch time and despite some stupid questions from English and Young he spoke extremely well and had nothing but praise for Stubbs and also the players that have kept him out the side. It was interesting to hear that Stubbs always spends time with him on a Monday discussing the weekends game and also that he has been helping out with the youth team.
I can think of quite a few former captains who have not carried out their duties as well as Craig has.

lord bunberry
03-05-2015, 12:31 PM
He was guest on Radio Scotland this lunch time and despite some stupid questions from English and Young he spoke extremely well and had nothing but praise for Stubbs and also the players that have kept him out the side. It was interesting to hear that Stubbs always spends time with him on a Monday discussing the weekends game and also that he has been helping out with the youth team.
I can think of quite a few former captains who have not carried out their duties as well as Craig has.
We need a captain on the pitch though, Craig isn't that IMO.

Lago
03-05-2015, 12:34 PM
I listen as well and he came acroos really well. Compliments for all aspects of the club spoke intelligently and articulately.
Well done!!

Danderhall Hibs
03-05-2015, 02:39 PM
I listen as well and he came acroos really well. Compliments for all aspects of the club spoke intelligently and articulately.
Well done!!

He was on in the week if the semi as well and listed Stubbs (and McInnes) as the best managers he's worked with and his proudest moment as scoring the winner in the New Year derby.

I've also saw him helping the under 20s this season as well.

He seems a good guy and a positive influence to have around the club.

Danderhall Hibs
03-05-2015, 02:39 PM
We need a captain on the pitch though, Craig isn't that IMO.

What would a captain on the pitch do?

lord bunberry
03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
What would a captain on the pitch do?
Lead by example when the chips are down.

Danderhall Hibs
03-05-2015, 02:44 PM

We've not had one of them for years. In fact who was the last one?

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2015, 02:45 PM

So when everyone else is performing well below par the captain miraculously never does,is always at the top of his game and leads by example?

HappyAsHellas
03-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Like he did yesterday ?

Thecat23
03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
We've not had one of them for years. In fact who was the last one?

Jones?

Danderhall Hibs
03-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Jones?

He's definitely a good shout. What about before him?

lord bunberry
03-05-2015, 02:48 PM
So when everyone else is performing well below par the captain miraculously never does,is always at the top of his game and leads by example?
It's not always going to be that the captain can play well, but a good captain doesn't hide when things aren't going their way.

lord bunberry
03-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Like he did yesterday ?
Apparently so. His ability isn't the problem for me it's The fact that when the team needs someone to dig us out of a tricky situation he's posted missing.

HappyAsHellas
03-05-2015, 02:52 PM
It's not always going to be that the captain can play well, but a good captain doesn't hide when things aren't going their way.

One thing you cannot accuse LC of is hiding. Even when he's getting stick from some people during a game he is always willing/looking for the ball. I understand different people have differing opinions on players but false accusations are not the way forward.

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2015, 02:53 PM

I think the last thing you could accuse LC of is hiding!

Lago
03-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Apparently so. His ability isn't the problem for me it's The fact that when the team needs someone to dig us out of a tricky situation he's posted missing.
Disagree

Thecat23
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM
He's definitely a good shout. What about before him?

Was Scott Brown captain?

wookie70
03-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Liam Craig led by example yesterday and also drove us on during the game. A couple of times he pushed on challenging Falkirk at the back with other players joining in and winning back possession. These small things can have a huge effect on momentum getting the crowd going and bringing energy to the Team.

I was not in favour or Craig being Captain but he has won me round. We need someone who will bark at referees particularly in the play offs and his attitude and obvious enthusiasm even when not playing has been exactly what I want in a captain especially with so many youngsters in the squad who can learn from him.

The team has been better with Craig than without him this year and most of the memorable team performances have included him.

lord bunberry
03-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Disagree
I can't think of 1 occasion that he's put in a true captains performance and inspired us to turn around a game when we were up against it. People saying he doesn't hide are wrong IMO, last season he was posted missing when we needed him.
I have complete faith in Stubbs and if he wants him to stay then that will be good enough for me. Believe it or not I don't really mind him, I just don't think he's captain material.