PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Diclonius
02-05-2015, 01:35 PM
What a run and shot for the opening goal. If he hadn't gone and done that then the game may have turned out very differently.

I'd be very happy to have him back next season.

Boyle89
02-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Get him signed up. His pace his frightening. He looked much better on the ball today than previously.

Greenblood70
02-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Stubbs seems to have found the optimum position for him, coupled with the fact he's found some composure to go with his undoubted pace, the lad will be a vital player for us in the play offs. Gives us a really good option imo.

Thecat23
02-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Really hope he does sign him. He looks very promising!

lucky
02-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I like him. Players with pace are trouble for all defences. If he can show a bit more composure in front of goal he will be a decent player

California-Hibs
02-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Starterd a thread awhile back about getting him in the team. We simply play much better when he's in it! He stretches teams and allows others to enjoy more spaces and be more industrious on the ball. Creates chances, and recently....can finish!

Sign him up.

Roxyhibee
02-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Boyle has really grown on me the past few weeks and looks a different player now - his positional play and timing to receive a ball from our talented passing midfielders is excellent and his threat on goal is constant (take a bow, Stubbbs and his team..) He was a crucial player for us in our recent derby win. Takes at least 2 defenders out of position every time and if he keeps improving his delivery, could be a brilliant signing for us.

Huge huge miss at Hampden a fortnight ago..but think he'll be so important now for us in the play offs..

ekhibee
02-05-2015, 01:58 PM
I like him. Players with pace are trouble for all defences. If he can show a bit more composure in front of goal he will be a decent player
Yeh, totally agree. If he can develop his game just a little bit more, and he's still young, he could be quite a player. I'd definitely get him signed up for next season.

HH81
02-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Looks a very good goal on sky. Would we swop him for Harris for good then?

bingo70
02-05-2015, 02:10 PM

No because he's out of contract and Harris isn't!

If it was one or the other though I'd certainly prefer Boyle.

Scooter
02-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Do u leave Grey on the bench

Niffy
02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
He's very keen to stay.
I'd be happy to see that too.

JJP
02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Hope he stays based on what I've seen from him.

GreenCastle
02-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Great goal today - bit of skill around opposition player - a little one two then quality finish.

He played well today and his pace is something that brings something different to the team.

Bit like Sproule - hot and cold but he's done well recently.

GreenArmyyy!
02-05-2015, 02:29 PM
He said at the sponsors evening he would love to stay. Over to you Alan.

H18S NX
02-05-2015, 02:58 PM
After watching Harris last night against smellic,i would defo keep Boyle.

J-C
02-05-2015, 03:00 PM

You may not see Harris back here again, had a few ok games but in general, not done much since he went.

SteveHFC
02-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Boyle is underrated i feel. Would be happy if we offered him a contract in the summer.

IWASTHERE1902
02-05-2015, 03:04 PM

yes please. Thought he fell out of the game a bit but I like him. Much better than Harris. Although it's hard to tell with Harris, was he not one of the ones who's confidence was shattered by wage thief butcher.

bingo70
02-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Boyle is underrated i feel. Would be happy if we offered him a contract in the summer.

Under rated by who? He's rated by most on here, Stubbs seems to rate him and the players seem to rate him?!

brog
02-05-2015, 03:19 PM

I agree. I never like to post anything negative about Hibs players but Alex looked out of his depth last night. Shame really, he looked an outstanding talent.

The_Horde
02-05-2015, 03:31 PM
He'd be a much better player if he could finish.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2015, 03:33 PM

Agreed.

2 quality goals in 2 games is nowhere near good enough.

jaf
02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I was in the falkirk end and right in line with his finish. There was only place he could put it and scored and that's exactly where he put it.
Quality finish.

MSK
02-05-2015, 03:39 PM
He'd be a much better player if he could finish.So his two quality finishes in the last two games means he has to brush up on his finishing ..?

QMU-1875
02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Agreed.

2 quality goals in 2 games is nowhere near good enough.

If he had finished the chances he had against Falkirk earlier in the season undoubtedly we wouldn't of had such a tight finish for second. He simply has to keep improving his finishing, I felt he could Of done better with the shot he miss hit today. Would of been more comfortable.

Ronniekirk
02-05-2015, 03:43 PM
That was my previous view but he hadn't had a run in the team and hadn't played in same position .The last two games however have seen the best of him and two composed finishes So question is can he continue in this form If he can then he has to be worth signing up as pace is the big thing we lack

hibby6270
02-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Remember he almost made himself an instant hero in his first game against Hearts. Since then hasn't featured much but now he's had a run in the team, he's shown what he has in his locker and is definitely a player we should be holding on to. His pace is electric and teams can't cope with that. Now he's adding goals to his game. A 'keeper' imo.

Golden Bear
02-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I hope his injury is nothing too serious. He actually took a heavy knock in the first half not long after he scored the opening goal so I hope the further knock didn't make things any worse.

A fit Boyle is a real asset to the team and I'm convinced we'd have won the semi final if he'd been allowed to play.

The_Horde
02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
I hope his injury is nothing too serious. He actually took a heavy knock in the first half not long after he scored the opening goal so I hope the further knock didn't make things any worse.

A fit Boyle is a real asset to the team and I'm convinced we'd have won the semi final if he'd been allowed to play.

Not too fussed if I'm honest. Gray gives us more balance.

Borderhibbie76
02-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Not too fussed if I'm honest. Gray gives us more balance.

What a dreadful comment...Boyle was immense today and last week

dchibs
02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
I was in the falkirk end and right in line with his finish. There was only place he could put it and scored and that's exactly where he put it.
Quality finish.
were you the guy with the green top on.

portyhibernian
02-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Fair play to Boyle, I remember saying on here a few weeks ago that I thought he was rubbish but he's definitely had some good performances in the past month or so and if he keeps up his form I'd actually quite like him to stay. Final ball seems to be improving and he could turn out to be an asset.

dmc1875
02-05-2015, 04:44 PM
I like Boyle. He's quick, has a good first touch to get away from a player (as seen today, last week and in the break-away goal against Rangers at Ibrox as some examples) and gets into decent positions while also being pretty adaptable and able to play various positions.

His finishing seems to be improving and he is young, a definite signing for me.

The_Horde
02-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Immense is pushing it a touch I feel. Better than before certainly but he faded after a decent early start. Liam Craig was the best player on the pitch today.

lord bunberry
02-05-2015, 05:08 PM
The problem is though he is playing in David Grays position. I really like Boyle but I wonder if money would be better spent elsewhere. If we go up and have a bit more money we should hold onto him, but if we don't and other high profile players leave then the I'm not so sure. It's bizarre really when you think of the problems we've had in this position for years.

Andy74
02-05-2015, 05:12 PM
The problem is though he is playing in David Grays position. I really like Boyle but I wonder if money would be better spent elsewhere. If we go up and have a bit more money we should hold onto him, but if we don't and other high profile players leave then the I'm not so sure. It's bizarre really when you think of the problems we've had in this position for years.

Boyle is more of a winger or forward and Gray is more of a right back. If we play wing backs then either could do it but Gray would be the natural player for the role. I think we only play the wing backs when we are forced to with who is available now.

Boyle adds far more than just cover as a wing back. I think he's better further up. Last week he moved around a bit with a lot of success.

California-Hibs
02-05-2015, 05:18 PM

This is a strange one. Sarcasm? As he's shown quite nicely in the last 2 games that he can indeed finish.

Heisenberg
02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
We've changed the formation in the last two weeks and have looked very good going forward. Boyle, Malonga and Cummings all swap around in a front three and cause a lot of problems. I'd keep Boyle next year.

bingo70
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
We've changed the formation in the last two weeks and have looked very good going forward. Boyle, Malonga and Cummings all swap around in a front three and cause a lot of problems. I'd keep Boyle next year.

I noticed last week we moved to 4231 for a relatively short spell. Not sure of we did that again today?

I wonder if we're thinking of that formation with rangers in mind as it would be a third formation to catch them by surprise with, it'd also go some way to pinning Wallace back.

Heisenberg
02-05-2015, 05:34 PM
I noticed last week we moved to 4231 for a relatively short spell. Not sure of we did that again today?

I wonder if we're thinking of that formation with rangers in mind as it would be a third formation to catch them by surprise with, it'd also go some way to pinning Wallace back.

It's something like that. Definitely three up top at times, with Malonga and Cummings both ending up out wide and tracking back. Although that might not go so well against Wallace who will run up and down all day. Don't think either of them would cope, Boyle probably could do the best job of it.

tamig
02-05-2015, 06:59 PM
It's something like that. Definitely three up top at times, with Malonga and Cummings both ending up out wide and tracking back. Although that might not go so well against Wallace who will run up and down all day. Don't think either of them would cope, Boyle probably could do the best job of it.

If we come up against the hun again Stubbs has to play a back three. It was a disastrous decision to play with a back four the last time at ER. The only reason Wallace had the freedom of the pitch. One of the few tactical failures from our manager this season.

muzzando
02-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Worth remembering he's only just turned 22, so still young as well. Offers something a bit different that none of our other players do in that he can stretch teams and defenders don't know whether to mark him tightly or stand off him in case he speeds past them

.Sean.
04-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Hearing he won't feature in the play-off's. Knee ligament damage.

Boyle89
04-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Hearing he won't feature in the play-off's. Knee ligament damage.

Looked a sore one. Wouldn't be surprised if true. His knee jarred quite badly from the tackle. Bad news if he can't play.

frazeHFC
04-05-2015, 09:34 PM
That's gutting. Really not what we need, especially as he's been great the last few games. :rolleyes:

Ronniekirk
04-05-2015, 09:54 PM
That's gutting. Really not what we need, especially as he's been great the last few games. :rolleyes:

If true ,then with Fosters injury just as well we aren't playing queen of the south as if we had picked up another few injuries we would have been down to the wire for the Rangers games As it is if these two were out for both those games then we need Gray to stay fit and have Watson fit for cover and no injuries in Training or will be thinking bad Karma

Golden Bear
04-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Yet according to tonight's EEN it's not a serious injury and he'll defo be ok for the play off games.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
What a blow if true

SunshineOnLeith
04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
If we come up against the hun again Stubbs has to play a back three. It was a disastrous decision to play with a back four the last time at ER. The only reason Wallace had the freedom of the pitch. One of the few tactical failures from our manager this season.

And, unfortunately for Boyle, David Gray has to play against Wallace. Boyle's a brilliant attacking threat but (understandably for someone we signed as a winger/forward) doesn't have the defensive abilities to deal with Wallace.

Great option to have as an impact sub, or if we're playing Queens.

Borderhibbie76
04-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Find this hard to believe as Stubbs said post match it wasnt serious? He surely would have known if it was knee ligaments?

The Sundance Kid
05-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Stubbs confirmed in the Evening News that he may well have tweaked the ligaments in his knee unfortunately. Would be a big blow as he's improved greatly over the last couple of weeks. Think his confidence has improved and has been helped by the change of formation to 4-3-3 and with playing with Scott Allan more often, as I think those two compliment each other well.

Hopefully not as bad as first thought.

Stubbs also confirmed that they're waiting on a scan for Forster but looks like strained ligaments in his ankle and that El Alagui is suffering from a recurring knee injury

JimBHibees
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Stubbs confirmed in the Evening News that he may well have tweaked the ligaments in his knee unfortunately. Would be a big blow as he's improved greatly over the last couple of weeks. Think his confidence has improved and has been helped by the change of formation to 4-3-3 and with playing with Scott Allan more often, as I think those two compliment each other well.

Hopefully not as bad as first thought.

Stubbs also confirmed that they're waiting on a scan for Forster but looks like strained ligaments in his ankle and that El Alagui is suffering from a recurring knee injury

On that basis both will be out for the season which is a blow as both have been doing well and Boyle's pace is very useful in an attacking sense. An opportunity for other players then. Could do with Farid being able to take part in play off games.

oneone73
05-05-2015, 11:42 AM
On that basis both will be out for the season which is a blow as both have been doing well and Boyle's pace is very useful in an attacking sense. An opportunity for other players then. Could do with Farid being able to take part in play off games.

It is a big blow. McGeouch for Forster and Watson for Boyle, I guess. Not many other options though

Billy Whizz
05-05-2015, 12:37 PM
It is a big blow. McGeouch for Forster and Watson for Boyle, I guess. Not many other options though

Yes it's a blow, he's been coming onto a bit of form too

Borderhibbie76
05-05-2015, 01:22 PM

Big blow but at least it coincides with Gray being back fit. From EEN though doesnt sound like Stubbsy has ruled either Boyle or Forster out yet...just says they wont get much training done in next 2 weeks so fingers crossed they both make speedy recoveries

Leithenhibby
05-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Big blow but at least it coincides with Gray being back fit. From EEN though doesnt sound like Stubbsy has ruled either Boyle or Forster out yet...just says they wont get much training done in next 2 weeks so fingers crossed they both make speedy recoveries

Let's start by telling the opposition, nowt :agree: Keep everyone guessing, I say :wink:

California-Hibs
05-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Huge blow if Boyles out. We play much better as a team when he's in it! Keeping my fingers crossed it's just a case of a week with no training and then he can prepare for the play offs

portyhibernian
05-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Seen on his Twitter page he's posted his season is over. Bad news, he's come on to a game recently and would have had a part to play for sure.

macca70
05-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Disaster, Torn medial ligament, just as he was showing reg performance to be a regular starter.

I think we're seriously cursed this season, we've had no breaks at all!!

Real Emerald
05-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Martin Boyle just tweeted he will miss rest of season. Ligament damage.

Delboy4
05-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Martin Boyle just tweeted he will miss rest of season. Ligament damage.

If true, he'll be a miss

Scottie
05-05-2015, 09:16 PM
If true, he'll be a miss
:agree: Bad news for us as his pace is a great asset when counter attacking in the last couple o games

greenlex
05-05-2015, 11:32 PM
We have beat the Huns without Boyle and Foster. Here's hoping.

Smartie
06-05-2015, 06:55 AM
This is really bad news for us.

You can tell from the results in the games he has missed/ played in over the past couple of months that he has become a very important player for us.

We'll just have to get by. We have had various injury problems over the course of the season that we've had to cope with. At least with the squad Stubbs has assembled we have options and we won't be relying on players playing in totally alien positions.

Hopefully we get up and he signs a longer contract with us so we can see him playing in the green ad white again.

BSEJVT
06-05-2015, 08:54 AM
I like Boyle

He is still a bit raw but has shown real signs of improvement and I would keep him.

I do wonder though if in this digital age players would be better keeping quiet about their fitness (or lack thereof) as its doing the opposition managers job for them.

If they didn't know whether he would have been fit or not they might have set up differently or used different personnel?

JimBHibees
06-05-2015, 08:59 AM
I like Boyle

He is still a bit raw but has shown real signs of improvement and I would keep him.

I do wonder though if in this digital age players would be better keeping quiet about their fitness (or lack thereof) as its doing the opposition managers job for them.

If they didn't know whether he would have been fit or not they might have set up differently or used different personnel?

That is a very good point to be honest would much prefer players not putting that out also.

ian cruise
06-05-2015, 09:26 AM
He's a big miss however I still believe we have the personnel to get the job done.

Hopefully he's offered a deal for next season, useful player who I'd be happy to see wearing a hibs strip again.

scoopyboy
06-05-2015, 09:39 AM
That is a very good point to be honest would much prefer players not putting that out also.

Could be a bluff

BSEJVT
06-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Could be a bluff

That thought did occur to me I must admit :wink:

IrnBru22
06-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Could be a bluff

Thats what i thought too, hopefully it is

Stuarty27
06-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Shame about Boyle,

I wasnt too worried when foster was ruled out as we have similar players that can step in Watson etc but Boyle offers something different that what we have in the squad. He will be a big miss.

S4uzee
06-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Could be a bluff

Surely wouldn't be a bluff if he tweeted about it?

Leithenhibby
06-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Could be a bluff

Surely wouldn't be a bluff if he tweeted about it?

Well it is time for the mind games to get into overdrive.

That would be a belter :wink:

Golden Bear
06-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Could be a bluff

:agree:

A bit unusual for us but normal practice for our maroon friends on the other side of the city.

heretoday
06-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Will we get Harris back for the play offs?

Not that I'm overexcited about the possibility but at least he's got some pace down the wing.

hibeesboii
06-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Would be brilliant if it was a bluff and he started the play off game, can't remember when we would of done something like that before!

CropleyWasGod
06-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Would be brilliant if it was a bluff and he started the play off game, can't remember when we would of done something like that before!

We did something similar with Gordon Durie before a cup semi against Aberdeen in the 80's. All week, he wasn't playing, and then he runs out with the team..... gave everyone a lift.

The game started, Durie was mince and we got beat 3-0. :greengrin

GordonHFC
06-05-2015, 04:18 PM
We did something similar with Gordon Durie before a cup semi against Aberdeen in the 80's. All week, he wasn't playing, and then he runs out with the team..... gave everyone a lift.

Was that the game at Dens Park?

CropleyWasGod
06-05-2015, 04:20 PM

:agree:

scoopyboy
06-05-2015, 04:21 PM

Yes, the **** beat Dundee Utd at Hampden at the same time in the other semi. The final was played one week after Albert Kidd day and we all know the rest.

scoopyboy
06-05-2015, 04:23 PM

IIRC he missed a decent chance at 0-0. As you say he was mince and I don't think he was anywhere near fit.

BSEJVT
06-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Remember being in a pub near Dens before that game and coming back with a handful of pints.

Sitting Aberdeen fan stuck out his leg to trip me up. which I noticed.

I still managed to (trip over :-) his leg and poured 3 pints in his lap.

Worth buying another round for :greengrin

truehibernian
06-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Could be a bluff

Would Dundee not intervene and have any alleged injury checked/confirmed Scoopy ? Wonder where Hartley's allegiances would lie in play off mind games ?

Billy Whizz
06-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Yeah, he wasn't even half fit

CockneyRebel
06-05-2015, 04:35 PM

Isn't it more likely to be Watson in a back 3 and Gray as wing back?

Billy Whizz
06-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Isn't it more likely to be Watson in a back 3 and Gray as wing back?

That's how we lined up at Ibrox a few months ago, think Gray went off injured at half time

Centre Hawf
06-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Would Dundee not intervene and have any alleged injury checked/confirmed Scoopy ? Wonder where Hartley's allegiances would lie in play off mind games ?

His contract is up at Dundee and I assume he's not staying with them so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't too fussed about this.

IWASTHERE1902
07-05-2015, 07:06 AM

durie and Cowan, they were the days!!

scoopyboy
07-05-2015, 07:46 AM

Normally I would say yes, but it looks to me as though Boyle will be a free agent as IMO if Dundee were going to offer him a deal they would have done so by now.

I'm not sure that Hartley will be interested in the slightest in the play offs never mind the mind games.

J-C
07-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Normally I would say yes, but it looks to me as though Boyle will be a free agent as IMO if Dundee were going to offer him a deal they would have done so by now.

I'm not sure that Hartley will be interested in the slightest in the play offs never mind the mind games.

Think I remember hearing somewhere that Boyle and Hartley don't see eye to eye, so a parting of the ways looks a good bet and if he's happy here then get him signed.

JimBHibees
07-05-2015, 10:20 AM

Yep he clearly shouldnt have played. :greengrin