PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs - autobiography

IanM
29-04-2015, 11:08 AM
@HibsOfficial: Alan Stubbs autobiography "How Football Saved My Life" is now available in the Hibs Clubstore: http://t.co/B22XKmyRLO http://t.co/pk5ncVcNJN

Anyone read this?

CallumLaidlaw
29-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Yeah. Read it last July. I really enjoyed it actually. Only book I've read for quite a while. Really shows his character.

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Yeah. Read it last July. I really enjoyed it actually. Only book I've read for quite a while. Really shows his character.

Its very good .... AS is a tough guy no doubt about it, the book also proves that at one time Celtic actually did have class.

Mr White
29-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Yup a real insight into his character. his description of his fight against cancer and how it put competitive sport in perspective for him is one of the more powerful sections I've read in a sports based autobiography.

tamsonsbairn
29-04-2015, 02:27 PM
i remember when he started playing again after his illness, he played and scored against us, the hibs support clapped him back down to the centre spot. i remember reading somewhere that he says he will always have a good word to say about the hibs fans for this. :gwa:

Leith_Hibee
29-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Yes, read this book whilst on holiday last year. Really insightful into the life of Stubbs, how close he was to his dad. His fight against cancer was inspirational stuff on how he dealt with it..to think it was a random drugs test that detected his disease.

I also liked the bit about different managers at Sellick, how much of an idiot John Barnes is and how mild mannered Wim Jansen was...I particularly like the story of the players turning up for training a little worse for wear and Wim sending them home.

Swedish hibee
29-04-2015, 09:02 PM
He doesn't think much of Robbie Savage does he! :agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-04-2015, 09:06 PM
i remember when he started playing again after his illness, he played and scored against us, the hibs support clapped him back down to the centre spot. i remember reading somewhere that he says he will always have a good word to say about the hibs fans for this. :gwa:

I found some old programmes a couple of months ago when clearing out. There was one from Hibs v Everton from summer 2002. There's a feature on Stubbs in that and it talks about the applause he received that day. Still remember sitting in the famous 5 that day as a young lad. Sure Stubbs thanked us by scoring 5 minutes later [emoji85]

Mikey09
29-04-2015, 09:08 PM
He doesn't think much of Robbie Savage does he! :agree:

Who does?? :wink:

Baader
30-04-2015, 02:25 AM

Only time Ive applauded a goal scored against us. I wasnt the only one - hasten to add the game was long over before Stubbs scored that day...

Without sounding too melodramatic seeing Stubbs applauded when coming on by both sets of fans that day was a touching moment and one in the eye for the Daily Mail types who would like to believe football is frequented purely by yobs. Football fans on the whole are a good bunch.

Iain G
30-04-2015, 08:11 AM
I found some old programmes a couple of months ago when clearing out. There was one from Hibs v Everton from summer 2002. There's a feature on Stubbs in that and it talks about the applause he received that day. Still remember sitting in the famous 5 that day as a young lad. Sure Stubbs thanked us by scoring 5 minutes later [emoji85]

Seem to remember a young Wayne Rooney scoring in that game, think it was 2-2?

SmashinGlass
30-04-2015, 09:15 AM

Yes. Rooney did indeed score and followed it by noising up the old East stand

NAE NOOKIE
30-04-2015, 09:31 AM

It was 2 - 2 and Rooney came on as a sub as I recall, though I cant remember him scoring. I'm sincerely hoping AS arranges a friendly at Goodison this summer, what a trip that would be ..... though I suppose the likes of Everton are more likely to want to play AC Milan or someone like that than us :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
30-04-2015, 01:42 PM
He did score.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/hibernian-2-everton-2-dpost-3557829

Leith_Hibee
30-04-2015, 01:48 PM
8,325 for a friendly match...struggle to get that for a league game these days.

Iain G
30-04-2015, 02:01 PM
He did score.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/hibernian-2-everton-2-dpost-3557829

Look at that Hibs team...

HIBERNIAN (4-4-2): Colgan; Orman, Smith, Dempsie, Murray; O'Neil, Brebner, Townsley, Arpinon; Luna, O'Connor. Subs: Caig, McManus, Byle, Nicol, Hilland, Doumbe, Whittaker.

CropleyWasGod
30-04-2015, 02:02 PM

HIBERNIAN (4-4-2): Colgan; Orman, Smith, Dempsie, Murray; O'Neil, Brebner, Townsley, Arpinon; Luna, O'Connor. Subs: Caig, McManus, Byle, Nicol, Hilland, Doumbe, Whittaker.

Who was Byle? :confused:

Billy Whizz
30-04-2015, 02:03 PM

I remember Tam McManus trying to pick a fight with a 16 year old Wayne Rooney, and lost

Iain G
01-05-2015, 07:03 AM

A few of that team were bile ;-)

Deek01
01-05-2015, 07:11 AM

Les Byle?

Thecat23
01-05-2015, 07:14 AM
It was 2 - 2 and Rooney came on as a sub as I recall, though I cant remember him scoring. I'm sincerely hoping AS arranges a friendly at Goodison this summer, what a trip that would be ..... though I suppose the likes of Everton are more likely to want to play AC Milan or someone like that than us :greengrin

Rooney started did he not? Defo scored as well. Mind sitting in the East and everyone singing "You fat *******" 😁