View Full Version : Terry Butcher set to take over at Newport County

The Sundance Kid
27-04-2015, 07:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32482321

Lord help them

Pretty Boy
27-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Poor barstewards.

Hope none of their fans have any neck issues as they're going to be spending a long time looking up.

greenpaper55
27-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Hoooooof !

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-04-2015, 07:24 PM
At least their fans can stop worrying about losing early goals. Should put their minds at ease.

Leith Green
27-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Its probably the type of club suited to Butcher. A small club with low expectations and no big players to handle. He will be able to sign his usual batch of unknowns , who he can manage in his own fashion..

Ozyhibby
27-04-2015, 07:28 PM
At least it confirms we are no longer paying him.
Should be a boost to the player budget next season.

jodjam
27-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Got told this first thing this morning by a Newport fan. They have my sympathies

overdrive
27-04-2015, 07:31 PM

We already had.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Pretty sure this was confirmed by Hibs a while ago.

Peevemor
27-04-2015, 08:21 PM

Does it?

We already had.

Pretty sure this was confirmed by Hibs a while ago.

I can't remember that. :confused:

bigwheel
27-04-2015, 08:26 PM
out of all the men who have been at our club and not performed , Butcher and Malpas are by far the ones I wish had never darkened out doorstep.....They managed to hurt our club more than almost any other.....i have not a single positive thing to think about either..

Sir David Gray
27-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I can't remember that. :confused:

I might be imagining it but I'm almost sure I read some minutes from a meeting that was held at Easter Road some months ago and someone asked if Butcher was still on the payroll and the answer was that he wasn't.

AlbertK86
27-04-2015, 08:34 PM
I might be imagining it but I'm almost sure I read some minutes from a meeting that was held at Easter Road some months ago and someone asked if Butcher was still on the payroll and the answer was that he wasn't.

Correct ...pretty sure Leanne confirmed it

essexhibee
27-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Nice warning post on there by a hibee haha.

http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36989&start=75 :greengrin:aok:

lyonhibs
27-04-2015, 08:44 PM
My sincerest commiserations to them. No one deserves that prehistoric neanderthal lumped on their club.

iwasthere1972
27-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Newport. Average home attendance 3,400.

Not for long if that useless twat gets the a hold of the reigns.

truehibernian
27-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Newport. Average home attendance 3,400.

Not for long if that useless twat gets the a hold of the reigns.

They'll need reinforced seats in the dugout for Steve 'Chicken Tikka' Marsella as well - I pity any club that take Butcher on. No football team deserves such a fate.......Danny Haynes.......Daniel Boeteng.........:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf :

Should have a candlelit vigil for Newport tonight........Pray for Newport :pray:

weonlywon6-2
27-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Has he relegated them yet?

Greencore
27-04-2015, 09:06 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32482321

Lord help them

When's his guard of honour? 😂

Ronster117
27-04-2015, 09:07 PM
He was the worst manager ever to set foot into our club, glad he's gone . All I have to say to their fans is "guid luck" cos by golly gee they will need it. Hoofball every week, and the players will need thick skins too

jacomo
27-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Good to see a bit of solidarity in times like these. :greengrin

Colr
27-04-2015, 09:14 PM
We already had.

So he waited till we stopped paying him before he got another job?

Hun freeloader!

SteveHFC
27-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Feel sorry for the Newport fans.

Stax
27-04-2015, 09:21 PM
:bye:

SuperAllyMcleod
27-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Sacked by Christmas probably!

iwasthere1972
27-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Sacked by Christmas probably!

More Gardening Leave then and sorting out formations with his garden gnomes on his prize lawn.

GreenLake
27-04-2015, 10:07 PM
So he waited till we stopped paying him before he got another job?

Hun freeloader!

I think they said he was on gardening leave.

A tiller the Hun.

Scottie
27-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Funny as hell.

How the hell do all these failed managers get another gig somewhere else ?

Hope all of his jobbies are as big as pineapples. WELT.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-04-2015, 10:21 PM
R.I.P Newport County.

Northernhibee
27-04-2015, 10:22 PM

Someone had to warn them :aok:

Vault Boy
27-04-2015, 10:41 PM
It's always heartbreaking to hear of stories like this, commiserations to Newport and their fans.

Heisenberg
27-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Horrible man. Horrible manager. Hope he fails again.

Onion
28-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Paycheque from Hibs must have come to an end. Horrible manager supported by a a horrible assistant. Shudder !!

Eaststand
28-04-2015, 05:59 AM
I think they said he was on gardening leave.

A tiller the Hun.

Hoe hoe hoe :-)

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
28-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Pray for Newport, maybe we should hold a vigil for them..........

Rarely has such a shambles been created at one club so quickly by so few. Hopefully they wont get sweary Maurice as well.

Keith_M
28-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Should have a candlelit vigil for Newport tonight........Pray for Newport :pray:

Pray for Newport, maybe we should hold a vigil for them...........

Great minds think alike....

....and fools seldom differ.

:wink:

Green forever
28-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Pray for Newport, maybe we should hold a vigil for them..........

Rarely has such a shambles been created at one club so quickly by so few. Hopefully they wont get sweary Maurice as well.
Grant Murray has just been sacked as Raith manager so with MM currently director of football there just now, he may well get that gig.

NAE NOOKIE
28-04-2015, 09:15 AM
If Newport do this all I can say is ............. They tell me the Conference is quite a nice league .... enjoy ! :aok:

Bostonhibby
28-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Great minds think alike....

....and fools seldom differ.

:wink:
Some of my best friends are fools[emoji1]

Bostonhibby
28-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Grant Murray has just been sacked as Raith manager so with MM currently director of football there just now, he may well get that gig.
Sorry but I draw the line at praying for raith

nellio
28-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Mate back home is a county fan. have txt him advising him that relegation is imminent and a brand of pre-historic hoofball on its way!

MKHIBEE
28-04-2015, 09:33 AM
I look forward to welcoming him to Sincil Bank. If he lasts more than 1 season.

MKHIBEE
28-04-2015, 09:36 AM
s............ They tell me the Conference is quite a nice league .... enjoy ! :aok:
Whoever told you that has a different idea of nice to mine, at least the drink numbs the pain watching some godawful stuff

NAE NOOKIE
28-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Whoever told you that has a different idea of nice to mine, at least the drink numbs the pain watching some godawful stuff

I was being sarcastic :greengrin

HH81
28-04-2015, 09:41 AM

I was in Lincoln the other week. They played Halifax and my mate talked me into going on his company fuel.

Nice ground awful game.

greenpaper55
28-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Hoe hoe hoe :-)

GGTTH

He will be raking it in ! :greengrin

Iggy Pope
28-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Harsh.
I was at Altrincham v Chester on New Years day and it was excellent.

Bostonhibby
28-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Could organise a booing event!

KeithTheHibby
28-04-2015, 12:27 PM
If he isn't being paid by Hibs any more and not bound by a confidentiality clause I wonder why he hasn't come forward with his take on what went on during his time at ER?
Plenty players have come forward and alluded to what went on last season yet I have not seen one interview which he has defended himself (if that is even possible) against what was said? Y
You would think that is the least he would do in order to salvage some kind of reputation he has.

emerald green
28-04-2015, 06:01 PM
When are clubs going to cotton on that this guy is an er**? He still seems to be living off his "ex-England captain" days.

I'll never forgive him for his considerable roll in getting my club relegated. It wasn't entirely down to him alone, but he must take a large share of the blame.

Phil MaGlass
29-04-2015, 11:51 AM
What are the odds for them going down the following season, might take a punt on that, my commisserations tae Newport.

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2015, 12:32 PM
For any Newport fans looking in on this thread I think its important to point out that the lack of a Terry Butcher love in on here isn't just because he got us relegated, other managers have done that .... The reason Butcher is the worst of them is because of how he managed to accomplish the feat from what should have been a safe position when he took over.

Going into a club and telling half the players you are relying on to do a job for you that they will be binned at the end of the season is as good a way as you can get to ensure a half hearted effort. Hibs threw away a 2 - 0 aggregate lead in the second leg of the play off in front of 18,000 fans at Easter Road last year ..... how hard did we fight in that game? As I recall not one Hibs player was booked in the match, which went to extra time and penalties.

#FromTheCapital
29-04-2015, 12:57 PM
The thing with Butcher was that he talked a good game. Many on here (myself included) were still wanting to give him this season right up until the point we were relegated, some even after. In hindsight it's crystal clear what he done to our club and for that reason he should never manage again. I hope for Newports sake that their board see sense and avoid him like the plague. Don't be fooled by his apparently great record at ICT, as he's been a failure everywhere else.

Thecat23
29-04-2015, 01:01 PM
The thing with Butcher was that he talked a good game. Many on here (myself included) were still wanting to give him this season right up until the point we were relegated, some even after. In hindsight it's crystal clear what he done to our club and for that reason he should never manage again. I hope for Newports sake that their board see sense and avoid him like the plague. Don't be fooled by his apparently great record at ICT, as he's been a failure everywhere else.

I wanted Butcher and like you say he talked a good game! I wanted him sacked though long before we did! When I read some on here saying we should give him another season it was like saying Margaret Thatcher should have had another 10 years in power! He ruined us. I wonder if the posters who just couldn't accept how bad he done have now seen the difference from last year to now?!

#FromTheCapital
29-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I wanted Butcher and like you say he talked a good game! I wanted him sacked though long before we did! When I read some on here saying we should give him another season it was like saying Margaret Thatcher should have had another 10 years in power! He ruined us. I wonder if the posters who just couldn't accept how bad he done have now seen the difference from last year to now?!

I think we can now all see just how bad he was, there's been a huge difference. I shudder to think where we'd be now if he'd somehow stayed on for a while.

At the time I think we were all fooled by him. He usually came across well in interviews and there was hope that he could build a squad like he did at ICT (but better given our resources) if he was given the close season.

gaz1875
29-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Has he actually been appointed?

Stranraer
29-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Vault Boy is right - Newport a cracking wee club, I truly feel for them now, their chances of promotion to League 1 have gone down the pan.

Hibernia&Alba
30-04-2015, 08:00 PM
I suppose it demonstrates how low his stock has fallen, now Newport is the best he can do. His tenure at Hibs was unforgivable, and he's lucky to get another chance anywhere.

Ronniekirk
30-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Was it not Pretty Boys excellent extracts from the meeting I definitely saw it somewhere .

Greenblood70
30-04-2015, 09:17 PM
I ****ing hate Butcher - the man has no honour or integrity and cheated a wage out of Hibs.

Scottiedog007
30-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Chris McLaughlin retweeted
Rob Phillips ‏@robphillipshere 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING Terry Butcher confirmed @NewportCounty boss

Haymaker
30-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Chris McLaughlin retweeted
Rob Phillips ‏@robphillipshere 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING Terry Butcher confirmed @NewportCounty boss

God help them.

muzzando
30-04-2015, 09:54 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32543980

On the BBC

Ronniekirk
30-04-2015, 10:08 PM
God help them.

Not even Divine Intervention can help them now :confused:

Sir David Gray
30-04-2015, 10:10 PM
County director Howard Greenhaf said the board were "extremely impressed" with Butcher when they spoke to him.

"He is very thorough and professional in his approach and we are sure we have the best man for the job," said Greenhaf.

"As soon as Terry was connected to the job he came and watched us himself several times and also sent people to our games on his behalf.

"He already knows the team in good detail and has firm plans on what he wants for next season."

Relegation? :dunno:

Their fans have my sympathies.

Bostonhibby
30-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Easy to be extremely impressed, tel's a talker. Fooled a lot of us, me included but deary me. Clueless. How would the Newport guy know he is "thorough and professional"? Evidence?

mca
30-04-2015, 11:07 PM
No Offence to Anyone, But I Just Cant see Tb being Happy Living near Newport.. :wink:

Probably hopes for another Long Contract with Some Gardening Duties Thrown in.. :hmmm:

Boyle89
30-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Impressed when they spoke with him?!
Wonder if he came out with more great quotes like its good to concede early cause it takes away the worry of conceding.

Haymaker
01-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Not even Divine Intervention can help them now :confused:

Sadly.

Mixu62
01-05-2015, 02:42 AM
Wonder if he came out with more great quotes like its good to concede early cause it takes away the worry of conceding.

Does appointing Terry Butcher take away the worry of appointing Terry Butcher? Hypothetical question, we probably know the answer to that one.

lyonhibs
01-05-2015, 05:55 AM
Does appointing Terry Butcher take away the worry of appointing Terry Butcher? Hypothetical question, we probably know the answer to that one.

I guess so. If you get the actual appointment out of the way nice and early, you have plenty of time to recover from it before its too late.

Or something like that.

A sad day for football and especially Newport that that enormous **** has got another job in football

Paisley Hibby
01-05-2015, 07:25 AM

Brilliant :faf:

Ronniekirk
01-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Brilliant :faf:
Was that you I met at the Taxi rank at Gilmour street after the Cup Semi .

Bostonhibby
01-05-2015, 07:35 AM
[emoji1] it would. The only remaining worry is what to do if he wants to bring his throwback mate's with him. Sure Newport will want someone to swear at their fans as a distraction from watching the ball being lumped skyward.

Pretty Boy
01-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Hoooooooooooooooooooooffffffff

lord bunberry
01-05-2015, 08:51 AM
He certainly talks a good game, it's all talk though. He's a con artist.

emerald green
01-05-2015, 09:34 AM

He would make a good politician.

silverhibee
01-05-2015, 09:53 AM

That was some con he done having Inverness punching well above there weight.

Don't forget we had a bunch of loser players as well, players that couldn't hold on to a 2-0 result and blew it at ER, who's fault was that, Butcher & co or the players.

emerald green
01-05-2015, 10:03 AM
That was some con he done having Inverness punching well above his weight.

Don't forget we had a bunch of loser players as well, players that couldn't hold on to a 2-0 result and blew it at ER, who's fault was that, Butcher & co or the players.

I would say it was a bit of both. Some of the players playing for Hibs then were just awful, and into the bargain I'm not sure they were all giving 100% for Butcher & Malpas.

Who was it that decided that these players were good enough to play for Hibs though? Or was it just a question of money?

Plus, those responsible for Butcher's appointment, and several other disastrous managerial appointments before Butcher were at fault, eventually leading to the club turning into a shambles on and off the pitch and ultimately being relegated.

Cabbage East
01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
I know nothing about the club or the league but they have my sincere sympathies.

CallumLaidlaw
01-05-2015, 10:27 AM

Butcher sent the players out that day with the sole aim of trying to cling on the the lead.

And pointing out to the public that the team is crap and will mostly be replaced the following season is textbook motivational skills. If the players don't want to play for you, you're on to a loser straight away.

It's hilarious read English journalists saying its a great appointment, he's a great guy, etc. Maybe they should chat to some of the players that played for him last season.

Greencore
01-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Would love to see us play them in a friendly at Easter road.

Winston Ingram
01-05-2015, 10:48 AM

Well above their weight? 4th in a league without Rangers and where the mighty Motherwell & St Johnstone finished above them?

I think his success was more down to Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen being absolute basket cases and Rangers no longer being in the league.

rosco-hibee
01-05-2015, 10:57 AM
He was the worst manager ever to set foot into our club, glad he's gone . All I have to say to their fans is "guid luck" cos by golly gee they will need it. Hoofball every week, and the players will need thick skins too

Admittedly Butcher was honkin'. The worst though?! I raise you one Colin Calderwood. The hangover our club had after that idiot lasted years, and culminated in us being relegated last year.

Smartie
01-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Butcher was 100% the wrong man for us at that time. But I still think that blaming him as much as we do totally misses the point.

He inherited an utter shambles, a horribly imbalanced squad that was devoid of creativity and attacking threat. This was obvious, yet he was told he had to ship players out before he could bring anyone in. He undoubtedly handled this atrociously yet if it weren't for Paul Hanlon's injury that season we might just have got away with it. It would have been interesting to see what might have happened over that summer.

Butcher strikes me as a bit of a maverick and there can be no denying that he got good results at Inverness. If there is a time of the season to appoint Butcher this is it. He'll be able to bring in his own players over the close season to play the way he wants them to play (hoofball maybe but at least he will have players that know how to play hoofball). I'd imagine they'll be well drilled and ready to start the season and those who don't fancy his methods (and I'm sure there will be a few) will be cast aside as early as possible.

I have a horrible feeling he could succeed and make us look really stupid. It is for this reason that I really hope he fails.

Oh, and for what it's worth I'mm 100% behind Stubbs and think that he is infinitely better than Butcher would ever have been. We're on the right track now, but Stubbs has been (imo) a success is because things are being done so much better higher up the chain than him and Stubbs is part of that better unit. Butcher was set up to fail.

Winston Ingram
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Admittedly Butcher was honkin'. The worst though?! I raise you one Colin Calderwood. The hangover our club had after that idiot lasted years, and culminated in us being relegated last year.

Butcher's record was significantly worse than Calderwood's.

Smartie
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM

I agree 100%. Calderwood is the worst appointment we have ever made. But I think that any manager would have struggled with Petrie being as involved as he was during that period.

Winston Ingram
01-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Butcher was 100% the wrong man for us at that time. But I still think that blaming him as much as we do totally misses the point.

He inherited an utter shambles, a horribly imbalanced squad that was devoid of creativity and attacking threat. This was obvious, yet he was told he had to ship players out before he could bring anyone in. He undoubtedly handled this atrociously yet if it weren't for Paul Hanlon's injury that season we might just have got away with it. It would have been interesting to see what might have happened over that summer.

Butcher strikes me as a bit of a maverick and there can be no denying that he got good results at Inverness. If there is a time of the season to appoint Butcher this is it. He'll be able to bring in his own players over the close season to play the way he wants them to play (hoofball maybe but at least he will have players that know how to play hoofball). I'd imagine they'll be well drilled and ready to start the season and those who don't fancy his methods (and I'm sure there will be a few) will be cast aside as early as possible.

I have a horrible feeling he could succeed and make us look really stupid. It is for this reason that I really hope he fails.

Oh, and for what it's worth I'mm 100% behind Stubbs and think that he is infinitely better than Butcher would ever have been. We're on the right track now, but Stubbs has been (imo) a success is because things are being done so much better higher up the chain than him and Stubbs is part of that better unit. Butcher was set up to fail.

I'd challenge that. We were 5th when he took over. He certainly left a shambles. I'd agree we had an incredibly imbalanced squad but he had a full transfer window to fix that. It was right Fenlon went but our squad was never going to get relegated under him.

CallumLaidlaw
01-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Yes there wasnt a great deal of creativity there but that still doesnt defend the record we had from mid January till the end of May. The more that comes out from the players that was there at the time makes you realise that he is simply a dinosaur in the modern game.

Regarding your point in bold - if he does succeed at Newport, all it will show is that he is fine at small clubs with little expectation or spotlight, but as soon as hes in a bigger position, he is a complete failure.

KeithTheHibby
01-05-2015, 12:49 PM

CC was Alex Ferguson compared to that **** Butcher.

KeithTheHibby
01-05-2015, 12:53 PM
If Butcher was any good why has he been out of work a year and even has taken employment with an english 4th tier team?
Because he is a dinosaur with **** methods thats why.

lord bunberry
01-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Inverness have done much better since he left. It could be argued that he was holding them back :greengrin

Winston Ingram
01-05-2015, 01:03 PM
His car crash 1st season is a given.

Motherwell - Bottom, saved by league reconstruction
Sydney - sacked after 7 months
Brentford - sacked after 6 months
ICT - relegated
Hibs - relegated

familyman
01-05-2015, 01:15 PM
more hoof football!

iwasthere1972
01-05-2015, 01:19 PM

ICT - relegated
Hibs - relegated

Strange that his last four clubs first initial spells HIBS.

MrRobot
01-05-2015, 02:18 PM
**** Terry Butcher.

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2015, 02:50 PM

ICT - relegated
Hibs - relegated

Sunderland and Coventry punted him too if my memory is right, he's the worst appointment we've had in my living memory, due diligence from teflon sadly lacking once again.

hibees 7062
01-05-2015, 02:55 PM
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s526x395/11052377_978747828824340_7260095676667473425_n.jpg ?oh=8030900efa995ac8c92a5dc05c7f7dc9&oe=55DC1002https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s526x395/11196322_680060595449736_7610613431478973464_n.jpg ?oh=f22f82a0953beb64cade0ace9e42321c&oe=55D5BEAA

hibees 7062
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Daniel Boateng , Danny Haynes and Duncan Watmore first 3 signings :greengrin

Iain G
01-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I agree 100%. Calderwood is the worst appointment we have ever made. But I think that any manager would have struggled with Petrie being as involved as he was during that period.

How does he compare to Sauzee who could easily be considered a worse appointment.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Probably do quite well for them. Maybe a lot of cash washing around the lower tiers down there but that does not equally mean quality. A fit team, all facing the same way, getting the ball forwards quickly, can get you quite far.

Smartie
01-05-2015, 06:16 PM
I'd challenge that. We were 5th when he took over. He certainly left a shambles. I'd agree we had an incredibly imbalanced squad but he had a full transfer window to fix that. It was right Fenlon went but our squad was never going to get relegated under him.

It was early in the season though so a few decent results can skew things. 3 of the points we had came from a victory at Firhill which was possibly the most awful winning Hibs performance I have ever witnessed. The summer window was horrendous and that was a squad that was going nowhere. Believe it or not I don't actually blame Fenlon who I quite liked as a Hibs manager. He inherited a proper shambles from Calderwood but his sticking plasters could only get it so far. I mean, losing Griffiths and Doyle and getting in Collins and Vine? Bloody hell. Losing Wotherspoon and getting in, er, nobody? So that when Harris and Cairney were injured we had no wide men? Yet continued to attempt to play with them? No wonder we ended up where we did, yet we prefer to blame it all on Butcher.

Butcher had a whole transfer window to address it but do you genuinely believe he got anything like the right backing? Hibs were utterly awash with complacency and a total delusion that what we had was anything like good enough for anything. That nobody would take the players we tried to ship out tells its own story. That we only managed to bring in a few loan players (who were all p!sh) tells another. I can't believe for a minute that Butcher didn't want to drastically change the squad in that window. I just don't think he got the chance.

Fenlon by his own admission had lost the dressing room and I think we were in every danger of going down that season, the fall from grace that ultimately happened would have happened even earlier if he'd stayed in charge. Whilst I don't think he was fully to blame he had to go when he did.

I hate that it seems like I'm defending Butcher because his time in charge at Hibs was awful. He was 100% not the person to inherit that situation and do something with it. I just think that there were so many major problems at Hibs at that time that it is hard to think of anyone who might have done any better. Getting a lower league club in the English league with an entire summer to build towards next year might actually work to his strengths.

He could end up making us look daft.

tamig
01-05-2015, 06:18 PM

Are you a fan then? Inverness has been his only success in management. Very much the exception rather than the rule. He's an awful manager.

Smartie
01-05-2015, 06:18 PM
How does he compare to Sauzee who could easily be considered a worse appointment.

Nobody will ever know what could have become of Sauzee as a manager.

He had the rug pulled from under him before he had a chance to show what he could do.

The signs during his time in charge were not good but someone of his stature deserved a bit more support and respect from the board than he got.

jacomo
01-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Nobody will ever know what could have become of Sauzee as a manager.

He had the rug pulled from under him before he had a chance to show what he could do.

The signs during his time in charge were not good but someone of his stature deserved a bit more support and respect from the board than he got.

Agreed. It was a terrible day when he got sacked.

Glory Lurker
01-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Agreed. It was a terrible day when he got sacked.

:agree: God, aye. The nearest I've come to crying about Hibs (as an adult at least).

Hibernia&Alba
01-05-2015, 08:00 PM

I disagree, Rosco. Butcher the very worst, IMO. Anyone on this forum could have kept Hibs up last season, starting where Butcher did, and I still don't know how he pulled off the impossible by relegating us. I didn't think anyone could do a worse job than Calderfud, but Butcher managed it. He's a disgrace.

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Butcher starting to weave his magic. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
The butcher bounce has arrived in Newport................SPLAT

--------
02-05-2015, 04:26 PM
The butcher bounce has arrived in Newport................SPLAT

No, he doesn't take over until next week, actually.

Some guy called Jimmy Dack was in charge today.

EDIT: next season, in fact. He has all the close season to get things just right for the new campaign.

theonlywayisup
02-05-2015, 04:28 PM
It was early in the season though so a few decent results can skew things. 3 of the points we had came from a victory at Firhill which was possibly the most awful winning Hibs performance I have ever witnessed. The summer window was horrendous and that was a squad that was going nowhere. Believe it or not I don't actually blame Fenlon who I quite liked as a Hibs manager. He inherited a proper shambles from Calderwood but his sticking plasters could only get it so far. I mean, losing Griffiths and Doyle and getting in Collins and Vine? Bloody hell. Losing Wotherspoon and getting in, er, nobody? So that when Harris and Cairney were injured we had no wide men? Yet continued to attempt to play with them? No wonder we ended up where we did, yet we prefer to blame it all on Butcher.

Butcher had a whole transfer window to address it but do you genuinely believe he got anything like the right backing? Hibs were utterly awash with complacency and a total delusion that what we had was anything like good enough for anything. That nobody would take the players we tried to ship out tells its own story. That we only managed to bring in a few loan players (who were all p!sh) tells another. I can't believe for a minute that Butcher didn't want to drastically change the squad in that window. I just don't think he got the chance.

Fenlon by his own admission had lost the dressing room and I think we were in every danger of going down that season, the fall from grace that ultimately happened would have happened even earlier if he'd stayed in charge. Whilst I don't think he was fully to blame he had to go when he did.

I hate that it seems like I'm defending Butcher because his time in charge at Hibs was awful. He was 100% not the person to inherit that situation and do something with it. I just think that there were so many major problems at Hibs at that time that it is hard to think of anyone who might have done any better. Getting a lower league club in the English league with an entire summer to build towards next year might actually work to his strengths.

He could end up making us look daft.

There's a lot of sensible comments in that post. I was always uncomfortable at the comments by those who said we would have stayed up if we had stuck with Fenlon.

Butcher's biggest mistake was telling players that they had no future in an attempt to get them to move on, but it all went pear shaped when they didn't.

Let's also not forget that Collins really has to be one of the worst strikers to have played for Hibs.

Bostonhibby
02-05-2015, 04:31 PM
No, he doesn't take over until next week, actually.

Some guy called Jimmy Dack was in charge today.

EDIT: next season, in fact. He has all the close season to get things just right for the new campaign.

:agree: but in my book his mere presence is enough, the announcement has had the effect, trust me, I am a doctor :wink:

Andy74
02-05-2015, 05:21 PM
There's a lot of sensible comments in that post. I was always uncomfortable at the comments by those who said we would have stayed up if we had stuck with Fenlon.

Butcher's biggest mistake was telling players that they had no future in an attempt to get them to move on, but it all went pear shaped when they didn't.

Let's also not forget that Collins really has to be one of the worst strikers to have played for Hibs.

We wouldn't just have stayed up. We'd have been nowhere near the battle for it.

marinello59
02-05-2015, 05:24 PM
We wouldn't just have stayed up. We'd have been nowhere near the battle for it.

We would still have gone done with Pat Fenlon in charge. Even if you don't believe that you surely can't argue that he was taking us forwards. He was just as culpable as others for our long term descent in to a shambolic mess.

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2015, 05:27 PM
We wouldn't just have stayed up. We'd have been nowhere near the battle for it.Yep, Fenlon had his faults but we would never ever have been relegated under him.