PDA

View Full Version : Play offs

Billy Whizz
27-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Sportsound reporting that Rangers are at loggerheads with the SPFL. They want to let all season ticket holders into the play off games for free.
They obviously want as many fans to go as possible, to make it intimidating

Mr White
27-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Queens will pump them no matter how many cavemen turn up.

DTS
27-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Reporting Scotland saying they're going to make the same request that we did last year, surely if rangers get it approved there's no reason we shouldn't be able to as well

Big_Franck
27-04-2015, 05:57 PM
I'd say that they're in a similar situation to the one we were in last year. They know fine well that their season ticket holders are seriously p1ssed off at the season they have had and would be unlikely to splash out on 2/3 play-off games to watch the absolute dross on offer. If they let them in for free it goes a little way to appeasing them and prevents them from playing huge games for them in front of tiny crowds.

I was under the impression that the rules had changed this season though and that this was no longer allowed?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but if Dave King passes the SPFL's fit and proper person test then the game's a bogey.

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Considering Hibs raised this at the SPFL meeting just a few days ago and it was thrown out, it's a joke if just a few days after, plans are changed just cos they complained

Ozyhibby
27-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Wasn't this part of what we asked for last week and were knocked back on?

Billy Whizz
27-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Wasn't this part of what we asked for last week and were knocked back on?

Not sure if we asked about this, thought it was about reducing the share of receipts from 50% to 25%

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Not sure if we asked about this, thought it was about reducing the share of receipts from 50% to 25%

I'm sure in LD's statement she mentioned that we did take this to the table but it was thrown out

Billy Whizz
27-04-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm sure in LD's statement she mentioned that we did take this to the table but it was thrown out

You may be right, Rangers can let everyone of their season tickets in for free if they want, however they can cough up what they owe to the SPFL

Centre Hawf
27-04-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm quite glad Rangers are doing this, because we all knew it would take them to kick up the fuss so that it would be implemented. It's a shame they were quiet when we took the flak in the press over the last 2 weeks for being "greedy ol' Hibs" I bet this to be portrayed as "Rangers honourably fight for fan rights" or something similar. :rolleyes:

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 06:17 PM
You may be right, Rangers can let everyone of their season tickets in for free if they want, however they can cough up what they owe to the SPFL

Seeing as the Rangers board know that we've already had this thrown out, I imagine they're doing this purely to try and appeal to the knuckle dragging masses, so they can say "well, we tried".

emerald green
27-04-2015, 06:19 PM
The clowns running the game in this country tried to give the new club an advantage once already recently by agreeing to their match kicking off after everyone else. That was kicked out, largely because Hibs (and others) objected very loudly and they were forced, very reluctantly it seemed to me, to change their minds. In fact, it wasn't them that agreed. It was the TV company.

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Here you go -

The Board’s own resolution on minimum pricing, the eligibility of Season Tickets and an allowance for match expenses in respect of Play Off finances was also considered as Resolution 2.

Neither resolution progressed. Resolution 1 failed at the first hurdle when a majority of Premiership Clubs voted against it. Resolution 2 was then withdrawn by the SPFL Board, with the consent of a majority of Clubs present.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Here you go -

Cheers Callum, incredible they can try to challenge this less than a week later.

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Looks like they ain't gonna challenge it, they're just gonna do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32490412?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Blaster
27-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I thought it was a resolution by the spfl to stop season tickets being available. And that they withdrew it therefore the clubs can allow seasons in for nothing if they want

Billy Whizz
27-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Looks like they ain't gonna challenge it, they're just gonna do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32490412?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Have they got the cash to pay back the SPFL?

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Have they got the cash to pay back the SPFL?

Rangers and Hearts don't need to pay things back do they?? :confused:

Steve20
27-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Playoffs are based on league position and decide what league you'll be in the next season, so it's part of the league campaign, as far as in concerned. Season ticket holders should be getting in for nothing anyway.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Playoffs are based on league position and decide what league you'll be in the next season, so it's part of the league campaign, as far as in concerned. Season ticket holders should be getting in for nothing anyway.

Can't disagree with this, but the same rule has to apply to all teams.
What a mess again

Big_Franck
27-04-2015, 06:56 PM
If the rangers just go ahead and let their season ticket holders in for free, i'd guess that the SPFL would just withhold their prize money, possibly for more than one season, to make up for their loss. Suppose that would require them to have a backbone though.

It'll be interesting to see how Doncaster deals with this.

Aldo
27-04-2015, 06:58 PM
If the rangers just go ahead and let their season ticket holders in for free, i'd guess that the SPFL would just withhold their prize money, possibly for more than one season, to make up for their loss. Suppose that would require them to have a backbone though. It'll be interesting to see how Doncaster deals with this.

Can you really see the SPFL upsetting the Hun Apple cart again?? Kidding aside... It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this one.

Donkey is so far up his own arse he'll probably not remember what he said last time.

Eyrie
27-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Sticks in the craw, but credit to Sevco Huns for doing the decent thing.

greenlex
27-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I thought it was a resolution by the spfl to stop season tickets being available. And that they withdrew it therefore the clubs can allow seasons in for nothing if they want

This is my understanding too. The Spfl board withdrew the proposal not to allow season tickets to be used. I don't know why the Rangers are even asking.

Onion
28-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Sportsound reporting that Rangers are at loggerheads with the SPFL. They want to let all season ticket holders into the play off games for free.
They obviously want as many fans to go as possible, to make it intimidating

Smart PR move. They need money much more than an "intimidating atmosphere" and can can now blame the SPFL when their moron fans start complaining about having to pay MORE money to watch their group of overpaid, overaged thugs. Drat, those pesky SPFL peepul !!

greenlex
28-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Taken from Hibs official statement.

The Board’s own resolution on minimum pricing, the eligibility of Season Tickets and an allowance for match expenses in respect of Play Off finances was also considered as Resolution 2.

Neither resolution progressed. Resolution 1 failed at the first hurdle when a majority of Premiership Clubs voted against it. Resolution 2 was then withdrawn by the SPFL Board, with the consent of a majority of Clubs present.

Looks like a non story to me.

truehibernian
28-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Taken from Hibs official statement.

Looks like a non story to me.

Far from it, very much a story - The Rangers applying pressure on Doncaster and Co and again making them look ridiculous and incompetent. Can't stand them but if it means Doncaster being forced out then I'd be laughing apples - he is a clown :aok:

greenlex
28-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Far from it, very much a story - The Rangers applying pressure on Doncaster and Co and again making them look ridiculous and incompetent. Can't stand them but if it means Doncaster being forced out then I'd be laughing apples - he is a clown :aok:

I don't understand this. Rangers are applying to allow them to use season tickets for the play offs when the SPFL Board have already withdrawn the notion that they can't. How is this making anyone other than Rangers look stupid? You do realise that Doncaster is a paid employee of the Spfl? The Spfl are the member clubs. They could get rid of him any time they like.

greenlex
28-04-2015, 07:14 AM
BBC reporting it as an Spfl rule. Who's right?

CallumLaidlaw
28-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Huge PR stunt just to try and appease their fans. They need the money more than anyone

Geo_1875
28-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know the rule as it currently stands?

Can the clubs make STs valid for the play-offs? Do they then need to make a payment into the pot for each ST holder who attends?

Ozyhibby
28-04-2015, 12:38 PM
My understanding is that the SPFL set prices. The then want 50% of the revenue. If clubs let fans in for free they will still have to pay the amount of money as set by the spfl.
I personally don't mind it not being covered by the season ticket. The season ticket was for the 18 home league games.
It's a nonsense that the SPFL take 50% but as long as we go up I don't care.

Nando™
28-04-2015, 01:06 PM
From that BBC article:

"Hibs allowed season ticket holders in for free last season when they lost out to Hamilton Academical in the play-off final. They sought permission to do so from the SPFL board and were informed the rule breach would not be penalised on that occasion."

Did we break the rules?

greenlex
28-04-2015, 01:40 PM
From that BBC article:

"Hibs allowed season ticket holders in for free last season when they lost out to Hamilton Academical in the play-off final. They sought permission to do so from the SPFL board and were informed the rule breach would not be penalised on that occasion."

Did we break the rules?
There was nothing like this going around at the time IIRC. If there is already a rule why did they withdrawn proposed legislation about season tickets and play offs at the last meeting? All very confusing.

TamHibs
28-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Resolution 2 was the clubs challenging the fact ST's are not valid for the play offs. THis was withdrawn meaning that the original decision to charge season ticket holders for the playoff games will stand.

That's my understanding, I could be wrong but surely if season ticket holders were to be allowed in for free then Hibs would have announced it? :confused::confused:

SteveHFC
28-04-2015, 03:44 PM
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11187251_755798297869001_4395323871640966580_o.jpg

DH1875
29-04-2015, 06:55 AM
Back page of the Metro this morning is saying that rangers are gonna let their season ticket holders in for free. Says they have informed the SPFL of their intentions and that the SPFL have said it was under discussion.

hibeesjoe
29-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Good decision by Rangers. It should be more about making an atmosphere which helps your team win promotion than making money

number9dream
29-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Back page of the Metro this morning is saying that rangers are gonna let their season ticket holders in for free. Says they have informed the SPFL of their intentions and that the SPFL have said it was under discussion.

Motherwell also indicating they will do the same. Hard to see how the SPFL can refuse having allowed us to do it last year. Gers have around 25,000 season ticket holders and Hibs, Well & Queens combined maybe 10-11,000, so that's a lot of dosh to miss out on, although I'm not sure it's accurate to say these fans are getting in "free" given their initial investment.

B.H.F.C
29-04-2015, 07:37 AM
From that BBC article:

Did we break the rules?

No. The clubs can let season ticket holders in for free if they want. But if they do they still need to pay the 50% levy on the equivalent ticket price.

I didn't really understand it all to be honest but that was what Dempster said to us in BTG on Saturday.

Keith_M
29-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Let me see if I've got this right.

1) An official proposal from Hibs to allow Clubs to decide if they let ST holders in for free is rejected at a meeting of the SPFL.

2) The Rangers announce that they are going to let their ST holders in for free anyway and the SPFL announce it is 'under discussion'.

What's to discuss? If it has already been rejected by the SPFL then all they need to announce is that The Rangers will have to pay the SPFL for each ST holder that attends the game.

Or do the rules of the SPFL not apply to The Rangers?

number9dream
29-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Let me see if I've got this right.

1) An official proposal from Hibs to allow Clubs to decide if they let ST holders in for free is rejected at a meeting of the SPFL.

2) The Rangers announce that they are going to let their ST holders in for free anyway and the SPFL announce it is 'under discussion'.

What's to discuss? If it has already been rejected by the SPFL then all they need to announce is that The Rangers will have to pay the SPFL for each ST holder that attends the game.

Or do the rules of the SPFL not apply to The Rangers?

No. Hibs were proposing 25% of cash going to central pot rather 50%. Came at it a bit late in the day if you ask me...

CallumLaidlaw
29-04-2015, 08:14 AM
No. Hibs were proposing 25% of cash going to central pot rather 50%. Came at it a bit late in the day if you ask me...

Hibs also raised the point of wanting to charge what they wanted to for playoff games but the proposal was chucked out by the SPFL.

I have a Rangers supporting colleague and he believes this is simply to appease their fans but doesn't think the new board have learnt anything from the previous board. He thinks they should have backed Hibs at the meeting last week but instead they continue to make this "us and them" situation.

Keith_M
29-04-2015, 08:34 AM

That was Resolution 1.

Resolution 2 was to allow the Clubs to decide how much they charged Fans, including letting ST holders in for free.

number9dream
29-04-2015, 08:43 AM
That was Resolution 1.

Resolution 2 was to allow the Clubs to decide how much they charged Fans, including letting ST holders in for free.

Cheers. I'll need to read the whole story next time...
Still, it's an issue that could have been raised a lot earlier and you can understand why other clubs want a slice of the revenue while teams like us and Rangers are involved.

Ozyhibby
29-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Still, it's an issue that could have been raised a lot earlier and you can understand why other clubs want a slice of the revenue while teams like us and Rangers are involved.

It was raised in October. Just took the SPFL a while to get round to it.

CallumLaidlaw
29-04-2015, 09:01 AM

except the teams that get the biggest slice of the gates are Celtic & Aberdeen!

Bad Martini
29-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Oh how the huns have fallen...essentially having to PAY fans to watch their dross :greengrin

....given SOMEONE pays the SPFL for the folk in the stadium, its either the knuckledraggers or the institution known as the rangers, formerly glasgow rangers and universally despised as the huns.

Either way, **** em. They will be unable to pull off such a blatant piss take, given the comments over the last few weeks on this matter.

As a PR trick, its surely even obvious to the most dip**** orc that they are merely trying it on and will actually charge the ejits, as they cannot pay for it themselves?

Bunch of fannies. :thumbsup:

ENDOF

Nando™
29-04-2015, 11:35 AM
The Huns can do whatever they like in terms of letting people in for free, as long as the club pays for each of these supporters. Nothing wrong with that at all.

number9dream
29-04-2015, 01:37 PM
From that BBC article:

Did we break the rules?

Here's what Ms Dempster said earlier this month...

“The debate began in October when the Board of the SPFL sought to introduce minimum pricing for Play Off Matches and to change the Rules to state that Season Tickets were not valid.
"We disagree, because we believe Clubs should be allowed the flexibility to deal with their Season Ticket Holders as they think best. Resolution 1 has been requisitioned by three clubs – and other clubs say they support it - because the Board of the SPFL refused to amend its proposal to accommodate the point of principle.”

If they wanted to change the rules in October then surely we didn't break them last season...:confused:

Nando™
29-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Here's what Ms Dempster said earlier this month...

“The debate began in October when the Board of the SPFL sought to introduce minimum pricing for Play Off Matches and to change the Rules to state that Season Tickets were not valid.
"We disagree, because we believe Clubs should be allowed the flexibility to deal with their Season Ticket Holders as they think best. Resolution 1 has been requisitioned by three clubs – and other clubs say they support it - because the Board of the SPFL refused to amend its proposal to accommodate the point of principle.”

If they wanted to change the rules in October then surely we didn't break them last season...:confused:

Good find.

I don't seem to remember any mention of the club possibly losing any money last season by letting us in for free. This season, it would actually cost the club a fair whack to pay for letting season ticket holders in free again.

Do we really want to make the club pay a potential total of £180,000 (fag packet maths) just so ST holders can get in free for the play-offs, rather than paying the extra ourselves? I bloody well don't.

Let's put that into perspective. That money could pay for a £3,000-a-week player for a season. Stop moaning and just pay the extra few quid to go.

CallumLaidlaw
29-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Good find.

I don't seem to remember any mention of the club possibly losing any money last season by letting us in for free. This season, it would actually cost the club a fair whack to pay for letting season ticket holders in free again.

Do we really want to make the club pay a potential total of £180,000 (fag packet maths) just so ST holders can get in free for the play-offs, rather than paying the extra ourselves? I bloody well don't.

Let's put that into perspective. That money could pay for a £3,000-a-week player for a season. Stop moaning and just pay the extra few quid to go.

:agree: I have said along along I am happy to pay for these playoff games. There have been playoff games all around the world for years where ST holders don't get in for free. If it is decided that the clubs don't need to pay the difference if they let ST holders in, then fair enough, I won't be complaining. but its not great for the club if it feels forced into taking a £180k hit.

DH1875
29-04-2015, 03:09 PM
If its 3 games, it'll be a hell of a lot more than £180k.

Nando™
29-04-2015, 03:15 PM
If its 3 games, it'll be a hell of a lot more than £180k.

Thought that at first, but we only have to give half of the money (I've only included ST holders as well mind).

GreenPJ
29-04-2015, 04:16 PM
I am not sure how they could reject the Rangers request for at least one game as they almost set precedent by allowing Hibs to do it last year. Whether they would allow them to do it for all of their home games am guessing will only become an issue if they have more than one home game.

Ozyhibby
29-04-2015, 05:54 PM
I am not sure how they could reject the Rangers request for at least one game as they almost set precedent by allowing Hibs to do it last year. Whether they would allow them to do it for all of their home games am guessing will only become an issue if they have more than one home game.

Rules were changed since last year

shezer
29-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Can anyone tell me- If we finish second, does that mean we are at home for the second leg of the playoff semi final? And would Motherwell be at home for the second leg of the final?

Baldy Foghorn
29-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Can anyone tell me- If we finish second, does that mean we are at home for the second leg of the playoff semi final? And would Motherwell be at home for the second leg of the final?

Yes to both questions

shezer
29-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Yes to both questions

Thank you kind sir.

Baldy Foghorn
29-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Thank you kind sir.

:aok: