PDA

View Full Version : Who would play Lone striker?

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 11:58 AM
With a lot of people saying they want us to play with wingers, presuming it is a 4231 formation which is what Stubbs played at the start of the season.

Who would play the lone striker?

IMO Cummings cannot be left out as he scores in the majority of games but I'm not convinced he would be the best at leading the line.

The player most suited to it is El alagui IMO but then it's the question of where do Cummings and malonga fit in?

Allant1981
26-04-2015, 12:01 PM
None of our strikers are good enough or quick enough to play as a lone striker imo

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 12:08 PM
None of our strikers are good enough or quick enough to play as a lone striker imo

I don't know if it's the case of good enough or quick enough, I think it would be very dependent on the midfield and the chances they create. Cummings has a nack of being in the right place at the right time, where as farid has a aerial threat defenders struggle with

Smartie
26-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm not convinced we have anyone and that's why we shouldn't ever start with this formation.

Certain teams and managers do seem to have us "sussed".

I do think it is a failing of ours as it costs us when teams leave one up front and pack their defence, although I liked the look of our 3-4-3 yesterday which is the first time I think we've played that way.

I fear that our lack of an option to play with one up front and wingers may cost us in tight playoff games vs QotS or The Rangers though.

greenlex
26-04-2015, 12:22 PM
I thought Dom did just fine up there after Sammy replaced Jason. I realise the game was one but it foesshiw the system could work if you dominate midfield. Not a fan tho. Really only works if you have midfielders capable and willing to work hard and also run at defences.

J-C
26-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Farid played the lone striker at the start of the season in a 4-2-3-1 system, unfortunately he's not fit enough to do this right now.

TheFamous1875
26-04-2015, 12:27 PM
The two players in scotland that come to mind as being tailor-made for the lone striker role are Ciftći and Adam Rooney (and Guidetti when he's on song).

You need equal pace and power for it; Farid has power but no pace. JC has pace and no power and Malonga has a great football brain that, in my opinion, absolutely needs support alongside him (I can see him being an effective #10 in the same regards as Wayne Rooney when he's in that role).

I'd love to get a player who had power and pace and could finish, but unfortunately they don't grow on trees. Who was our last one? GO'C?

Turkish Green
26-04-2015, 12:41 PM
You need equal pace and power for it; Farid has power but no pace. JC has pace and no power and Malonga has a great football brain that, in my opinion, absolutely needs support alongside him (I can see him being an effective #10 in the same regards as Wayne Rooney when he's in that role).

I agree that our current clutch of strikers do not meet the needs of a lone striker. Hibs need a win on Saturday and Falkirk will Likely sit back and wait for the break. What Hibs must do is take more chances from outside of the box. It is difficult to walk the ball into the net with a packed box. What the strikers cannot do is panic.

As for Stubbs he has to be brave and change it if it is not working and not wait until it is too late to bring on subs.

of course, if the news comes through from the PBS that Sevco are getting beat then maybe the pressure is relaxed. But a win against Falkirk is a must for confidence sake if nothing else.

NAE NOOKIE
26-04-2015, 12:45 PM
If you want a player who can win the ball and hold it Farid is the man, but as has been said to play lone striker you have to be fully fit. Cummings cant hold the ball up and Malonga lacks the work rate. As things stand I don't think we need to play that way.

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 12:52 PM
The two players in scotland that come to mind as being tailor-made for the lone striker role are Ciftći and Adam Rooney (and Guidetti when he's on song).

I'd love to get a player who had power and pace and could finish, but unfortunately they don't grow on trees. Who was our last one? GO'C?

Funny enough even though Adam Rooney bangs in the goals, a lot of my aberdeen supporting friends thinks he is useless and doesn't do anything except score. I would 100% take a striker that all he does is score

greenlex
26-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Funny enough even though Adam Rooney bangs in the goals, a lot of my aberdeen supporting friends thinks he is useless and doesn't do anything except score. I would 100% take a striker that all he does is score

Like Cummings?

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Like Cummings?

I don't think Cummings is useless at all. Scores out of nothing at times but my friends really don't rate Rooney

Bobo
26-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Scottish football is a really poor product and our own on-field failure, in the main, is due to the negative, boring tactics and formations used by the host of less than credible so called managers employed at Easter Road in the past decade.

I don't like to see one man up front in any match Hibs play! Serves no purpose other than to hand possession to the opposition and is negative in the extreme!

Smartie
26-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Cummings does way more than just score.

His all round play is actually pretty decent and has improved a great deal this year. He's fine if he has support around him so he doesn't have to hold onto it for too long.

I don't think he could play up front on his own for the reasons others have provided above. We don't have anyone that has the pace AND power to pull it off, but if push came to shove I reckon Cummings or El Alagui would give it a fair bash.

greenlex
26-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I don't think Cummings is useless at all. Scores out of nothing at times but my friends really don't rate Rooney

I'm not saying he's useless. I'm saying that's all he does.

J-C
26-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Scottish football is a really poor product and our own on-field failure, in the main, is due to the negative, boring tactics and formations used by the host of less than credible so called managers employed at Easter Road in the past decade.

I don't like to see one man up front in any match Hibs play! Serves no purpose other than to hand possession to the opposition and is negative in the extreme!

In a 4-2-3-1 the one man up top works perfectly well as long as the 3 behind are attacking and also a goal threat. Look at Chelsea for example, Costa up top with any 3 from Hazard/Fabregas/Oscar/Willian etc playing behind.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Depends on the way you want to play it. Would only back Farid to hold the ball up.

SanFranHibs
26-04-2015, 03:26 PM
With a lot of people saying they want us to play with wingers, presuming it is a 4231 formation which is what Stubbs played at the start of the season.

Who would play the lone striker?

IMO Cummings cannot be left out as he scores in the majority of games but I'm not convinced he would be the best at leading the line.

The player most suited to it is El alagui IMO but then it's the question of where do Cummings and malonga fit in?

Yes, let's change our recent winning formation and revert to our great start of season form :wink:

Let's just go out and kick some bairns ass :greengrin

J-C
26-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Yes, let's change our recent winning formation and revert to our great start of season form :wink:

Let's just go out and kick some bairns ass :greengrin

There's a huge difference in the players from very early season and the ones now.

We had an off form Harris, a young on loan winger, a main striker on fire who got injured early doors, a new goalie and defenders just gelling together and a team struggling to regain their confidence. I'd be very confident playing 4-2-3-1 right now with the players we have and the attitude of the said players.

Eyrie
26-04-2015, 06:19 PM
There's a huge difference in the players from very early season and the ones now.

We had an off form Harris, a young on loan winger, a main striker on fire who got injured early doors, a new goalie and defenders just gelling together and a team struggling to regain their confidence. I'd be very confident playing 4-2-3-1 right now with the players we have and the attitude of the said players.

Given our goal-shy midfield, who would you play in the line of 3, and who would be your options off the bench to replace those players or the main striker?

I'm not a fan of three at the back, but 3-5-2 has worked well for us this season and yesterday's 3-4-3 made a difference against a packed defence, which means I'm not in favour of changing to a system that doesn't suit our best players.