PDA

View Full Version : Boyle - would you keep him?

Benny Brazil
25-04-2015, 07:12 PM
I quite like him, he has pace which terrifies defenders - think he would have made a huge difference last week, also think he just needs a good run of games and he could be good player.

So question is - would you like us to sign him permanently if we got the chance?

Squealing pig
25-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Yes please

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Didn't realise he only turned 22 the other day, think the Management team see potential in him

S4uzee
25-04-2015, 07:16 PM
I'd give him a 1 year deal

bingo70
25-04-2015, 07:17 PM
He's never going to be brilliant but I'd keep him as a decent squad player. Going forward he worries defences.

I'd forget any ideas of him being a full back though.

Ricky Bobby
25-04-2015, 07:17 PM
If the choice was to make the swap permenant with Harris, i think i would take him. If it meant shelling out to bring him in permenently i am not so sure.

DaveF
25-04-2015, 07:18 PM
I certainly think he's worth keeping. Out of contract next month and I hope Hibs are looking to sign him up.

With Harris coming back, him and Boyle give us pace options we have been sadly lacking for a long time.

theonlywayisup
25-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Yes - gives us pace up front that we don't have. It's a YES from me.

theonlywayisup
25-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Meant to add that we missed him on the wide spaces at Hampden.

greenlex
25-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Nic he can add goals to his fame then maybe. My worry is this is the championship. Is he a premiership player, squad or otherwise?

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Not too sure how effective he would be in the Premiership to be honest, if we get promoted.

He's certainly a decent option to have at Championship level though.

ScottM1875
25-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Could see today that Scott Allan was relishing playing balls through to someone with his pace that could get on the end of them. His finishing seemed to be well above it's usual par today as well. I reckon if we get the chance, we should keep him.

wookie70
25-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Thought he played really well today and you can't fault his effort. I would probably sign him as he is going to be decent enough for a squad player and doesn't need time to settle or fit in. It all depends on what Stubbs has planned and what division we end up in

Golden Bear
25-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Yes. Versatile player to have in the squad and he's not afraid to put in a good shift.

IanM
25-04-2015, 07:28 PM
team squirrel! Get him signed up

Hiber-nation
25-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I'd like him to stay. Loads for Stubbs to work on, you never quite know what he's going to do, he's had a few glaring misses and his crossing's not great - but he puts a good shift in and has got real pace which is something we don't have much of.

Fergus52
25-04-2015, 07:37 PM
I'd sign him on regardless of what league we're in.

Can't imagine he'd be on too big a wage at Dundee and he's about the only player in the squad just now with real pace.

oconnors_strip
25-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Didn't realise he only turned 22 the other day, think the Management team see potential in him

It's his birthday today, brilliant present for him, scoring and 3 points!

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 07:48 PM
It's his birthday today, brilliant present for him, scoring and 3 points!

Didn't realise it was today, great present for him, seems popular with the other players

marleyhib
25-04-2015, 07:48 PM
100% yes, wish he'd been available last week :-(

Fergus52
25-04-2015, 07:49 PM
100% yes, wish he'd be available last week :-(

yeah, him at RWB on the big pitch at Hampden would have been great :(

Ozyhibby
Is he out of contract at Dundee?

marleyhib
yeah, him at RWB on the big pitch at Hampden would have been great :(

Eh?

bingo70
I certainly think he's worth keeping. Out of contract next month and I hope Hibs are looking to sign him up.

With Harris coming back, him and Boyle give us pace options we have been sadly lacking for a long time.

If we're going to start playing with width then I'd be hoping for better than those two.

As previously mentioned he'd be a decent squad player but the thought of him and Harris as first choice wingers doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Ozyhibby
25-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Btw, how has Harris been at Dundee?

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 07:52 PM
If the choice was to make the swap permenant with Harris, i think i would take him. If it meant shelling out to bring him in permenently i am not so sure.

No chance , Harris is a better player

Big_Franck
25-04-2015, 08:03 PM
I like him and would definitely sign him on a permanent deal. He wouldn't be guaranteed a game but his pace has added an extra dimension to our game since January and at worst is a great option from the bench.

His finishing is erratic and his crossing could definitely be better but he works so hard, he's unselfish and seems like the kind of lad that will work hard at his game to try and improve, rather than p1ss away his career on george street. When you add in the fact that he's not likely to demand a huge wage it's a no brainer for me.

Hiber-nation
25-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Btw, how has Harris been at Dundee?

On the bench recently.

since90plustwo
25-04-2015, 08:07 PM
He would love to stay at hibs. Loves it here. Would take him decent attacking option who can cover a number of positions. DjeDje out

Ricky Bobby
25-04-2015, 08:08 PM
No chance , Harris is a better player

Not since his return from injury he's not. Never kicked a ball after his return

frazeHFC
25-04-2015, 08:09 PM
I was there today so didn't see how he played and not seen his goal but was delighted for him when it came up on Sky Sports. Really like the guy and would be delighted if he joined permanent.

Scary to think he's only about a month older than me. Has a lot of potential.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-04-2015, 08:11 PM
I would defo take him. Won't be on a big wage and offers something different. Still young and will improve. Remember wee Ivan was 25 before we signed him and he improved as a player. I see similarities

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Is he out of contract at Dundee?

Yes

matty_f
25-04-2015, 08:16 PM
I think he scares defences with his pace, and that's a great thing to have in your side.
I would keep him if we can.

Stuarty27
25-04-2015, 08:18 PM
He offers something different.

think he is worth another year

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Not since his return from injury he's not. Never kicked a ball after his return

Still better than Boyle

lucky
25-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Yes as he has geniune pace and works hard

Pretty Boy
25-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I'd keep him.

Was very impressed with him today, cool finish for his goal, worked the keeper a few times and every defender hates playing against pace.

J-C
25-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Scored a lot of goals last season for Dundee, don't know why he's on loan here maybe things not right up there for him, also think his contract is up this year, someone mentioned a 2 year deal being offered.

Andy74
25-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Still better than Boyle

I'd like to believe you but I've seen nothing in Harris yet to back that up.

Scott Allan Key
25-04-2015, 09:26 PM
I'd keep him. Can hopefully have him developed into a better player. If he can add more goals and assists to the positions he finds himself in for us he'd be cracking. At the moment he doesn't often have a cool head but does seem to have more confidence when chips are down than Harris did.

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 09:26 PM
I'd like to believe you but I've seen nothing in Harris yet to back that up.

Which one does Hartley want to keep ?

Andy74
25-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Which one does Hartley want to keep ?

I don't really care. He doesn't have either under contract anyway.

The Green Goblin
25-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Yes, I would keep him.

Fergus52
25-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Eh?

By last week I'm assuming you mean the semi-final he was cup-tied for?

I was agreeing with you

B.H.F.C
25-04-2015, 10:16 PM
If we are in this league, maybe. If we go up, no chance.

Thecat23
25-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I'd give him a 1 year deal

This.

Eyrie
25-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Boyle gives us the pace that we otherwise lack. At his age there is time for him to improve his finishing and crossing, so I'd be willing to keep him as an option in the squad.

iwasthere1972
25-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Definitely. He can run at a defender with pace. Something that we lack in the team.

Thecat23
25-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Still better than Boyle

Not since he returned to the side he's not. Harris was a major flop and needed out of Hibs to get his confidence back. Will he return a better player? Who knows, but as it stands I'd have Boyle every time just now before Harris!

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Not since he returned to the side he's not. Harris was a major flop and needed out of Hibs to get his confidence back. Will he return a better player? Who knows, but as it stands I'd have Boyle every time just now before Harris!

When was the last time you watched him ?

Thecat23
25-04-2015, 10:40 PM
When was the last time you watched him ?

Who Harris?

Edit.. If you do mean him I watched every home game he's played at home. He was truly awful. I've no idea if he's improved at Dundee is he a regular in their team? I honestly have no idea.

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Who Harris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Depends which league we are in. Championship, yes. SPL probably not.

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Yes, I think I would keep him. I think he's earned his chance.

shamo9
25-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Who Harris?

Edit.. If you do mean him I watched every home game he's played at home. He was truly awful. I've no idea if he's improved at Dundee is he a regular in their team? I honestly have no idea.

From watching highlights I think he started well, set up a few goals and generally looked like the player he was when he first broke through at Hibs - playing direct and gliding past players with no fear. I haven't heard much about him lately but he has been playing regularly at a higher level than the rest of the Hibs team so it can only serve him well.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-s-alex-harris-looks-to-follow-in-dons-star-s-footsteps-1.842712

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-s-alex-harris-insists-best-is-yet-to-come-from-him-1.859854

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-fc/it-s-come-as-no-surprise-harris-is-off-to-a-flying-start-at-dundee-says-thomson-1.843995

Harris inspired Dundee to a 1-0 success over struggling Motherwell at Fir Park on Saturday and Dark Blues boss Paul Hartley has been delighted with his progress so far.

“I was pleased for young Harris and he caused Motherwell a lot of problems,” Hartley commented.

“I think just playing football will give him confidence and his confidence is getting better and better with each game.

“He’s a terrific kid.

“He had a difficult spell for about a year, through injury and then loss of form, but I told him to just come here and play, go and enjoy your football.

“I asked him to go and show us what he can do, and I think he’s getting better every week.”

Harris’ form since his loan move to Dens Park has prompted some to suggest that Dundee would do well to make the switch permanent, although Hartley is well aware of the current situation.

He added: “We will see what happens at the end of the season.

“He has done really well but there is still a lot more to come from him.

“We have been impressed with what we have seen so far but he is still a Hibs player and is under contract to 2016.”

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Who Harris?

He has big time , he's back to the player we know and the swap has helped his confidence

DH1875
26-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Going against the grain but erm...no, not for me.

GreenArmyyy!
26-04-2015, 12:31 AM
If it is between him and Harris it is Boyle all day.

GreenArmyyy!
26-04-2015, 12:32 AM
Still better than Boyle

Please enlighten me, on what grounds?

DH1875
26-04-2015, 12:36 AM
If it is between him and Harris it is Boyle all day.

Please enlighten me, on what grounds?

Thecat23
26-04-2015, 05:53 AM
He has big time , he's back to the player we know and the swap has helped his confidence

Good to hear, do you watch Dundee as well? Not being smart just wondering if you have watched him since he left us.

Thecat23
26-04-2015, 05:55 AM
From watching highlights I think he started well, set up a few goals and generally looked like the player he was when he first broke through at Hibs - playing direct and gliding past players with no fear. I haven't heard much about him lately but he has been playing regularly at a higher level than the rest of the Hibs team so it can only serve him well.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-s-alex-harris-looks-to-follow-in-dons-star-s-footsteps-1.842712

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-s-alex-harris-insists-best-is-yet-to-come-from-him-1.859854

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-fc/it-s-come-as-no-surprise-harris-is-off-to-a-flying-start-at-dundee-says-thomson-1.843995

Harris inspired Dundee to a 1-0 success over struggling Motherwell at Fir Park on Saturday and Dark Blues boss Paul Hartley has been delighted with his progress so far.

“I was pleased for young Harris and he caused Motherwell a lot of problems,” Hartley commented.

“I think just playing football will give him confidence and his confidence is getting better and better with each game.

“He’s a terrific kid.

“He had a difficult spell for about a year, through injury and then loss of form, but I told him to just come here and play, go and enjoy your football.

“I asked him to go and show us what he can do, and I think he’s getting better every week.”

Harris’ form since his loan move to Dens Park has prompted some to suggest that Dundee would do well to make the switch permanent, although Hartley is well aware of the current situation.

He added: “We will see what happens at the end of the season.

“He has done really well but there is still a lot more to come from him.

“We have been impressed with what we have seen so far but he is still a Hibs player and is under contract to 2016.”

Seems he's went off the boil after a good start! Let's hope he returns a better player but he will need to work hard and prove himself if he's any chance of making the first 11 here!

J-C
26-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Was listening to Dundee game midwweek and by the sound of it Harris's final ball was very poor, off after 60 mins

Tyler Durden
26-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Was listening to Dundee game midwweek and by the sound of it Harris's final ball was very poor, off after 60 mins

Worth remembering that was against Celtic, not the Livvy and Alloas that Boyle is facing.

If we go up Id want them both in the squad. Boyle seems to be popular in the squad. Harris has huge potential and Stubbs rates him - not sure what the downside would be to giving the lad another chance. He's what...19?

I don't actually think we need too many changes if we can get promoted. Keep the out of contract players and I'd be happy to see Robertson and Craig go. I think Stubbs will have a good defensive/aggressive midfielder lined up to compliment Fyvie/McGeouch/Allan. A new left back and we'd have good options all over

Just the small matter of gettin promoted....

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2015, 08:30 AM
with a bit more luck birthday boy boyle could have had 4 goals yesterday, seemed to be playing more in a central position, in the 2nd half anyway

CraigHibee
26-04-2015, 08:59 AM
would like to see make a move and sign boyle, he has a good bit of pace and is troublesome for other teams

bigwheel
26-04-2015, 09:00 AM
One thing about Boyle is that he would be a nightmare to play against ...never stops , quick, in about your feet all the time ...he may not be the complete article, but nuisance factor is huge ...I'd be happy to see him sign on

J-C
26-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Worth remembering that was against Celtic, not the Livvy and Alloas that Boyle is facing.

If we go up Id want them both in the squad. Boyle seems to be popular in the squad. Harris has huge potential and Stubbs rates him - not sure what the downside would be to giving the lad another chance. He's what...19?

I don't actually think we need too many changes if we can get promoted. Keep the out of contract players and I'd be happy to see Robertson and Craig go. I think Stubbs will have a good defensive/aggressive midfielder lined up to compliment Fyvie/McGeouch/Allan. A new left back and we'd have good options all over

Yes it was against Celtic, he was getting into good positions and beating his man, they said his final ball was very poor though, something we've seen a lot of at ER this year so not only Harris then.

He was playing on the left but I feel being right footed his natural play is to cut inside, something he did regularly when he was here, so that would mean Boyle and Harris plying for the same position on the right. I'm not a fan of playing a right footer on the left unless you're playing 4-2-3-1 and going with an inside forward, who is allowed to roam.

Nutmegged
26-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Would I keep Martin Boyle? No, I do think he's the type of player Stubbs now wants but only a better version of Boyle

CRAZYHIBBY
26-04-2015, 10:36 AM
If we can get better than boyle then fine but id rather have boyle than harris...

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't see why it's one or another?

Harris is under contract with us until next summer and Boyle is out of contract this summer. If we want Boyle we will get him.

NAE NOOKIE
26-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Robertson has been more than decent for us this season and is about the only midfield player we have who is a goal threat, he is certainly worth keeping.

As for Boyle .... He would definitely be worth keeping, but needs to work on his final ball and composure in front of goal.

emerald green
26-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Boyle has pace and that's a big plus in his favour. He seems to have a good attitude too and is prepared to work hard (at least from what I've seen of him so far). That's the plus points.

My one worry about his game is his poor finishing, and yes he took his goal very well yesterday. He needs to put more of those chances away on a consistent basis though.

I think he would be worth keeping. Give the lad a chance. Maybe a one year deal and see how things go from there? At the end of the day it will obviously be down to AS and his team and their plans for next season.

southern hibby
26-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I always ask before I think about signing a player, would you be worried if he was playing against us. Answer for me is yes i would. Then it's a case of can he do a job for us which he has proved he can?

Last and final question does he give us optionswe don't have? Obviously he does give us much needed pace and there is defiantly room for improvement in his shooting ability.
For me definitely a yes and I really do hope he signs.

GGTTH

scoopyboy
26-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I will go against the grain and say I don't think he will be kept on.

I'm hoping Stubbsy will have better lined up.

hibees 7062
26-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Good to hear, do you watch Dundee as well? Not being smart just wondering if you have watched him since he left us.

Watched his last six games

Johnny_Leith
26-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I'd like to keep Boyle on, he has potential.

I'd also like to see Harris given another chance but I'm not sure if he'll be back.

Thecat23
26-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Watched his last six games

At least you have seen him then and if you think he's a better player then that's great for us. Any reason he hasn't started past few games? Was he injured?

Smartie
26-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Boyle has pace and that's a big plus in his favour. He seems to have a good attitude too and is prepared to work hard (at least from what I've seen of him so far). That's the plus points.

My one worry about his game is his poor finishing, and yes he took his goal very well yesterday. He needs to put more of those chances away on a consistent basis though.

I think he would be worth keeping. Give the lad a chance. Maybe a one year deal and see how things go from there? At the end of the day it will obviously be down to AS and his team and their plans for next season.

I'd 100% keep him.

We look a much better team when he's in it.

He showed great composure for his goal yesterday, he was my MOTM and there were a few very strong performances yesterday.

I think sometimes his chances look easy because since he has such pace he seems to have more time on the ball than other players do.

Allan seemed to savour playing balls through to him too.

He's still bit raw but he is young. He has a touch of the "Eoin Doyle" about him. There is a lot to work with, lots of positives and with some hard work and good coaching if he could work on his end product then he could be an excellent player.

hibees 7062
26-04-2015, 12:13 PM
At least you have seen him then and if you think he's a better player then that's great for us. Any reason he hasn't started past few games? Was he injured?

Seems to have been dropped since Hartley was told he was not staying

JimBHibees
27-04-2015, 08:32 AM
I'd 100% keep him.

We look a much better team when he's in it.

He showed great composure for his goal yesterday, he was my MOTM and there were a few very strong performances yesterday.

I think sometimes his chances look easy because since he has such pace he seems to have more time on the ball than other players do.

Allan seemed to savour playing balls through to him too.

He's still bit raw but he is young. He has a touch of the "Eoin Doyle" about him. There is a lot to work with, lots of positives and with some hard work and good coaching if he could work on his end product then he could be an excellent player.

I would keep him as he seems to have a great attitude as shown by how well he did in the recent derby where he was outstanding both going forward and also defensively in the second half. He is pacy and direct and being only 22 has loads of potential to get better. Took his goal well on Saturday and unlucky not to get another couple, linked up well with Scott Allan. He is an asset especially against teams who sit in.

ekhibee
27-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I would keep him as he seems to have a great attitude as shown by how well he did in the recent derby where he was outstanding both going forward and also defensively in the second half. He is pacy and direct and being only 22 has loads of potential to get better. Took his goal well on Saturday and unlucky not to get another couple, linked up well with Scott Allan. He is an asset especially against teams who sit in.
Totally agree, JimBHibees. I reckon there's plenty of room for improvement but he played well against Hearts, and IMO would definitely be an asset against teams like QOS that like to sit in and break on the counterattack. I'd definitely keep him, there could be quite a player in there if he can improve on certain parts of his game.

gegs70
27-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Yep got a bit of pace about him.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Sure someone posted on here (maybe on another thread) that a two year deal was on the table for him here?

Hibiza
27-04-2015, 03:19 PM
yes.

jacomo
27-04-2015, 03:33 PM
I'd definitely keep him, decent prospect.

I hope Harris comes back next season too.

kaimendhibs
27-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Yes