PDA

View Full Version : Cummings' Diving

Hibernian Verse
25-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Thoughts?

I was less than impressed a couple of times. It's not how I want my team playing and this was a view shared around me at the game.

Happy to be proved wrong if they weren't dives? Just what it looked like from where I was.

DaveF
25-04-2015, 05:25 PM
I didn't see them as dives at all.

Lack of strength leading to him being easily brushed off the ball = Yes. Dives = No.

JimBHibees
25-04-2015, 05:27 PM

Lack of strength leading to him being easily brushed off the ball = Yes. Dives = No.

Agree.

O'Rourke3
25-04-2015, 05:30 PM
The last time he went over (a few minutes before he scored) was as close to a dive as I can imagine. There was no need for him to go down. I'm not accusing him of diving. I think as a previous poster has stated he has no upper body strength. My personal plan for him over the summer would be working on that as well as kicking with the right foot.

greenlex
25-04-2015, 05:44 PM
First one no. Second one was as good a dive as you'll see.

wookie70
25-04-2015, 05:48 PM
When he went down in the box at the FF end it was a stonewall penalty. Not quite as stonewall as when Boyle was fouled but the defender had a clear pull at his arm.

Stuarty27
25-04-2015, 05:49 PM
We just won 4-1 and he scored again and looks likely to finish top scorer in the league.

why

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-04-2015, 05:49 PM
I didn't see them as dives. Might have missed something though. I thought his hand was pulled at one of the incidents

iwasthere1972
25-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Goes down quicker than a hooker in leith.

tamig
25-04-2015, 05:57 PM

That was my take on it.

Eyrie
25-04-2015, 05:59 PM
We just won 4-1 and he scored again and looks likely to finish top scorer in the league.

why
There were a couple of occasions today when he'd lost the ball and fell over before looking to the referee or linesman to help him out. He's too good a prospect so it's not something we want creeping into his game in case he gets a negative reputation with the officials.

Swedish hibee
25-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Jeez... Yeah, Let's all get behind young Cummings for the next few games :rolleyes:

Ricky Bobby
25-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Brushed off the ball quite easily at times today and a pretty poor first touch throughout the game, but the lad just keeps going and has a great knack of being in the right place at the right time.
I don't think dives

Nakedmanoncrack
25-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Jeez... Yeah, Let's all get behind young Cummings for the next few games :rolleyes:

impossible to do so without admitting he sometimes gets things wrong? he is certainly guilty of diving around when there is no need.

Geo_1875
25-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Football commentators and pundits usually describe it as "There was contact so he's entitled to go down...."

I don't agree with that but too many players believe it. Just watch any Edinburgh derby and you'll see how prevalent it is.

Hibernian Verse
25-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I don't understand the posts that insinuate this is a slating thread. My point was that it doesn't matter how many goals you score diving should be unacceptable at ER and I merely asked the question of what others thought of his actions today.

Winning and scoring doesn't mean questions shouldn't be asked.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-04-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't understand the posts that insinuate this is a slating thread. My point was that it doesn't matter how many goals you score diving should be unacceptable at ER and I merely asked the question of what others thought of his actions today.

:agree:

hibee_girl
25-04-2015, 09:14 PM

That's how I saw it too, he just needs to toughen up!

lyonhibs
25-04-2015, 10:21 PM
That's how I saw it too, he just needs to toughen up!

How did he react to getting brushed off the ball ? Assuming it was fair and he got up and on with the game, no dive.

If he threw a huffy trying to get a foul,it's a dive IMO.

iwasthere1972
25-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Thought it was more noticeable today for some reason. Most folk beside me were shouting for him to get up. Now if your own fans are saying that then there's something not quite right. Scott Allen gets bundled over loads of times during the match but as far as I can remember he normally gets straight back up.

I'd much rather see Jason doing the same rather than sitting there with his hand up claiming for a foul or a penalty. The officials aren't going to suddenly changed their minds.

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2015, 11:02 PM

How do you know ;-)

I'd need another look at the incidents before making any judgement, but there are very few players who don't dive these days, sadly. It's an accepted part of the game by the players.

greenlex
25-04-2015, 11:04 PM
How did he react to getting brushed off the ball ? Assuming it was fair and he got up and on with the game, no dive.

Got to disagree Lyon. If he's brushed off the ball he's more likely to want a foul. Huffy reactions are neither here nor there.

macca70
26-04-2015, 07:46 AM

This is the most annoying part, he does throw huffy, waving his hands, looking for a foul/pen.

They weren't dives though, just too easily and fairly muscled off the ball which causes him to go down.

He needs to learn to get up and get on with it as the game is going on around him rather than throw a strop.

jabis
26-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Leith have a rugby team?

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2015, 08:38 AM
the laddie just needs to get a few muffins down his thrapple and pay more visits to the gym...and take sammy stanton with him

lord bunberry
26-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Leith have a rugby team?

Wilson
26-04-2015, 08:46 AM

Why should it be unacceptable? If every other team in the league does it are we supposed to stand alone as some kind of beacon? That sounds like one way to put yourself at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked.

If it is part of the game then we should be up on it. If you're going to dive do it better.

Scottie
26-04-2015, 08:59 AM
The young lad needs to get in the gym and bulk up a little as he is too easily dispossessed atm.

Hes a fantastic looking talent and I trust AS and co know the right development path to lead him down. :aok:

BSEJVT
26-04-2015, 09:19 AM
The young lad needs to get in the gym and bulk up a little as he is too easily dispossessed atm.

Hes a fantastic looking talent and I trust AS and co know the right development path to lead him down. :aok:

Whilst I agree in part with what you are saying, it seems more to me that the guy is absolutely knackered.

He has played far more and we have been far more reliant upon him that I had ever expected and he looks to me like he is running on empty on what is after all his first full season of first team football.

The fact that he has had his socks round his ankles and been subbed a hell of a lot recently would tend to suggest that too.

J-C
26-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Still young and needs to strengthen up but as he's only around 5'8" he aint gonna be leading the line. He needs to start using his brain more and finding space, remember when Griffiths was first here he was the same and was bullied a lot by the CH's but look at him now a few short years later and he won't get pushed around that often now.

NAE NOOKIE
26-04-2015, 09:58 AM
I don't think he's a diver, just too easily brushed aside by bigger defenders. His first touch needs to improve though, in fact in the Livvi game his poor touch indirectly lead to the Livvi player getting sent off, but more importantly could have got him ( Jason ) injured.

I agree that he looks a wee bit tired, which isn't surprising given that this is his first full season, in the close season he needs to work on his stamina, sprinting, upper body strength and ball control.

Given his excellent contribution this season though I can only imagine what a player he could be for us if he can improve where he needs to, which I'm sure he can.

green day
26-04-2015, 10:01 AM
I don't think he's a diver, just too easily brushed aside by bigger defenders. His first touch needs to improve though, in fact in the Livvi game his poor touch indirectly lead to the Livvi player getting sent off, but more importantly could have got him ( Jason ) injured.

I agree that he looks a wee bit tired, which isn't surprising given that this is his first full season, in the close season he needs to work on his stamina, sprinting, upper body strength and ball control.

Given his excellent contribution this season though I can only imagine what a player he could be for us if he can improve where he needs to, which I'm sure he can.

Sensible post.

He is only young and I think that next year - regardless of division - he will tear it up.

About the original question? Never a diver, just a young boy learning his trade.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I think this thread explains why finishing 2nd is so important.

A lot of chat about JC being tired and I agree. Finishing 2nd cuts 2 games from the schedule and also gives us a wee break after next Saturday to treat any niggles, do a bit fatigue management and get everybody ready for one last big push. Finish 3rd and we lose that luxury.

As it happens I don't think he's a diver but a couple of times yesterday he was brushed off the ball and stayed down throwing his arms about and kicking the ground etc. One of those times the ball was played right back over the top and he couldn't challenge as he was still 3 yards offside due to the time he spent mumping and moaning. He's young though and will learn thes things.

Malthibby
26-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Let's get this thread off the top of the forum, too negative after a very good performance. Bugger.

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 10:42 AM
He is actually in really good shape, with good upper body stregnth.

That doesn't however mean you are strong on the pitch, he has to learn to use his body against defenders better and shield the ball.

Very young player and plenty time to develop which I'm sure he will. Has came along massively since he joined.

emerald green
26-04-2015, 11:10 AM
As it happens I don't think he's a diver but a couple of times yesterday he was brushed off the ball and stayed down throwing his arms about and kicking the ground etc. One of those times the ball was played right back over the top and he couldn't challenge as he was still 3 yards offside due to the time he spent mumping and moaning. He's young though and will learn thes things.

:agree: I think on one occasion like you describe I saw Liam Craig shouting at / urging JC to get back onside.

JC is not a diver, but he needs to wise up a bit. If you are looking for a diver, a blatant cheat, look no further than Saulius Mikoliunas late of HMFC. A rodent.

ballengeich
26-04-2015, 11:18 AM
He is actually in really good shape, with good upper body stregnth.

That doesn't however mean you are strong on the pitch, he has to learn to use his body against defenders better and shield the ball.

Very young player and plenty time to develop which I'm sure he will. Has came along massively since he joined.

I agree, and we should also remember that players tend to get a bit stronger as they move from their teens into their twenties. Cummings has huge potential. Let's hope we get the benefit of it for several years, and being realistic, a large fee if he keeps on the right patch.

Hibernian Verse
26-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Let's get this thread off the top of the forum, too negative after a very good performance. Bugger.

You do realise that by commenting you bump it to the top...?

If you don't want to debate it, then don't post!

cabbageandribs1875
26-04-2015, 01:08 PM
mon the muffin man

17 Cummings
(Hibernian)
15 Lyle
(Queen of Sth)
13 Buchanan
(Alloa)
13 Reilly
(Queen of Sth)
12 Malonga
(Hibernian)

leither17
26-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Who cares what he does as long as he is scoring goals and we are winning

Malthibby
26-04-2015, 02:20 PM
You do realise that by commenting you bump it to the top...?

If you don't want to debate it, then don't post!

That's what the 'bugger' at the end was meant to demonstrate.
By way of being deliberate.
Whoosh..................

BSEJVT
26-04-2015, 05:43 PM
mon the muffin man

17 Cummings
(Hibernian)
15 Lyle
(Queen of Sth)
13 Buchanan
(Alloa)
13 Reilly
(Queen of Sth)
12 Malonga
(Hibernian)

On another note, how much would you have got pre-season for betting that no The Rangers player would have been listed in the divisions top scorers

emerald green
26-04-2015, 05:46 PM
On another note, how much would you have got pre-season for betting that no The Rangers player would have been listed in the divisions top scorers

No Yams in the top 5 either, despite the number of goals they have scored this season.

ancient hibee
26-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Players used to try to bump Jimmy O'Rourke when he first started-he taught them not to.

Bad Martini
27-04-2015, 11:20 AM
He's not a serial diver.

He is a great player and a great goal scorer.

He will be a top player in time, if he continues.

He did dive on one occassion on Saturday and took a few huffs too.

All these statements are in isolation. None are predicated by the other. So what. He's a young laddie.

When he learns to never dive, keep going, kick the **** out the ball with his right foot in his spare time and to forget taking a huff, he WILL be one of the best forwards we have seen in a generation.

Source : my eyes, since he played for the development squad (And scored one of the best overhead kicks from the edge of the area, I have ever seen). :aok:

Hibs90
27-04-2015, 11:32 AM

I'm sure he's scored more goals at this stage in his Hibs career than Riordan did at the same age. People forget he's only 19. He's loving life right now folk should just embrace it. There always seems to be a criticism of some sort put his way. Cummings is our best striker so just let him get on with scoring goals eh!