PDA

View Full Version : Is a draw enough next week?

lord bunberry
25-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Or can they catch us if we draw?

mikewynne
25-04-2015, 04:16 PM
They'd just need to win to go above us.

TheReg!
25-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Put it this way a draw isn't good enough for Rangers, they have to win

high bee
25-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Only a win is good enough for Rangers, if they draw we would be ok on goal difference.

CallumLaidlaw
25-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Let's just go and get the win and not worry about them!

JohnM1875
25-04-2015, 04:18 PM
#a draw is good enough for The Rangers, if we lose. Which is possible as it's Falkirk. Really hope we skelp them and shut them right up!!

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2015, 04:19 PM
It might be, but i hope we play for a win because we are bloody good enough to beat Falkirk.

Mikey09
So there will be eyes on Nielsons team selection next week.... Wonder if there first choice keeper will be on the bench like today?? :wink:

PeterboroHibee
If Rangers win, we need to win. Otherwise it doesnt really matter. The game should be looked upon as must win though, firstly to make sure we defintiely secure second, but also to finally beat Falkirk.

high bee
25-04-2015, 04:20 PM
#a draw is good enough for The Rangers, if we lose. Which is possible as it's Falkirk. Really hope we skelp them and shut them right up!!

We would have to lose by at least 5 goals in this scenario.

JohnM1875
25-04-2015, 04:23 PM
My bad. You're right. Either way I hope we just go out and ride them by a few goals. Get an early one to settle the nerves. Cause let's be honest. It'll be a tense one.

Speedy
25-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Or can they catch us if we draw?

A draw isn't likely to be relevant unless Rangers beat Hearts by 5 goals.

If we win we're 2nd.

If Rangers lose we're 2nd.

If Rangers draw we're almost certainly 2nd (we'd need to lose by 5 to finish 3rd).

Scottie
25-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Let's just go and get the win and not worry about them!
:agree:

It might be, but i hope we play for a win because we are bloody good enough to beat Falkirk.
:aok: Spot on.

pontius pilate
25-04-2015, 04:30 PM
No we need a win doesnt matter what happens at swincastle we shoild go out for a win then its sealed no waiting on an additional god knows how many minutes of injury time at the piggery if they two are drawing. The team owes us a result against falkirk next week now is the time to do it

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 04:35 PM
So there will be eyes on Nielsons team selection next week.... Wonder if there first choice keeper will be on the bench like today?? :wink:

The SFA won't mind if they play their reserves next week

SlickShoes
25-04-2015, 04:40 PM
A win takes care of it on our own, the team shouldn't even be thinking about what happens if it's a draw.

iwasthere1972
25-04-2015, 04:50 PM
It's now in our hands. Not relying the Yams doing us a favour.

Bristolhibby
25-04-2015, 04:53 PM
One good thing about the early KO, we will know earlier what the craic is. Won't have to wait until near 5 o clock.

J

RoxburghHibs
25-04-2015, 04:59 PM
A draw isn't likely to be relevant unless Rangers beat Hearts by 5 goals.

If Rangers win next week goal difference won't matter. They will have 69pts in that scenario and we can only finish with 67, 68 or 70 points.

The ONLY scenario goals diff will come into it is if Rangers draw and we get beaten.

aljo7-0
25-04-2015, 04:59 PM
We need to go for the win. We want to keep winning and playing well as second or third in the league we have play off games to contest. Going into the play offs on the back of a decent win, playing well, at least in theory, should stand us in better stead than on the back of a 10 men behind the ball get a draw at all cost type performance.

JimG
25-04-2015, 05:08 PM

I thought their first choice keeper was out for the rest of the season with a broken finger? We just have to beat Falkirk and it's all academic.

Onceinawhile
25-04-2015, 05:08 PM
If Rangers win next week goal difference won't matter. They will have 69pts in that scenario and we can only finish with 67, 68 or 70 points.

The ONLY scenario goals diff will come into it is if Rangers draw and we get beaten.

I think our goal difference was two better after Wednesday so now 5 better. Don't see us losing by 6.

GreenLake
25-04-2015, 05:13 PM

And if Falkirk play their reserves?

Dan Sarf
25-04-2015, 05:23 PM
The BBC have cleared it up.

BoomtownHibees
25-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Apart from the fact that The Rangers are on 66 points

tamig
25-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Rangers have to beat hertz. Only if we get thrashed by Falkirk would a draw do for them.

tamig
25-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Its their title winning party next week. Neilson will have a full strength line up out and they will not want to lose - regardless if its perceived as doing us a favour. Not a chance they will have a weakened side against the hun.

lord bunberry
25-04-2015, 05:56 PM
I thought that rangers had got beat today

emerald green
25-04-2015, 05:58 PM
I'm absolutely gutted the new club got a very late equaliser at Greyskull today. I thought Hibs were going to be going into the final fixture two points in front of them, meaning they would HAVE to beat their wee team next week and hope that Hibs would also lose.

A draw next week might have been enough for Hibs, even if the new club won at PBS, had they not got that late goal.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2015, 06:00 PM
We should see if the tv want our game broadcast next week, maybe move it to Sunday lunch time. Have both games on the telly, fill the weekend up for Scottish fans. :wink:

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Hearts 93rd min penalty puts them on 90 points, one ahead of our previous record of 89. If they had gone into next weeks game on 88 points then you could have guaranteed a win, they are that obsessed with us and beating any sort of record

Forza Fred
25-04-2015, 06:07 PM
If Rangers win, we need to win. Otherwise it doesnt really matter. The game should be looked upon as must win though, firstly to make sure we defintiely secure second, but also to finally beat Falkirk.

This.

If Rangers beat Hearts, which is entirely likely, then we MUST win or we finish third.

Can hear those bottles rattling already.

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 06:09 PM
And if Falkirk play their reserves?

No chance wi that clown in charge

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Its their title winning party next week. Neilson will have a full strength line up out and they will not want to lose - regardless if its perceived as doing us a favour. Not a chance they will have a weakened side against the hun.

They're no the best at partys though eh :wink:

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Bit less straightforward for us after their equaliser today in the 118th minute of injury time. :rolleyes:

If they had lost today then a draw would have almost certainly been enough for us next week, due to our superior goal difference.

With the point they got today, we now need to win next week to guarantee second place.

For the avoidance of doubt;

Hibs win - Hibs 2nd
Hibs draw and Sevco don't win - Hibs 2nd
Hibs lose and Sevco don't win - Hibs 2nd (as long as we don't lose by six goals and Sevco don't get a point)

Basically, the only way that Sevco will finish second now is if they beat Hearts and we draw or lose to Falkirk. It's entirely possible that that could happen but I would hope our players can put in a performance next week and finally end our hoodoo against Falkirk.

We are in a situation now where we are going into the final day of the regular season with second place in our own hands and you can't say fairer than that. I wouldn't have thought that would be possible a couple of weeks ago.

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm confident we'll get 2nd next week, but it'll be a long day if Rangers were to go 1-0 up early doors, and we're still 0-0

BroxburnHibee
25-04-2015, 06:41 PM
We have to assume they will win.

It's only in our hands if we go for the win.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 06:45 PM
We have to assume they will win.

It's only in our hands if we go for the win.

:agree: For Sevco, it's quite simple now.

They know that no result next week, other than a win for them, will do if they are to finish second.

Obviously it's not going to be an easy game against the league champions but I would expect them to just come out next week and attack Hearts from the outset and see what happens. They now have absolutely nothing to lose.

majorhibs
25-04-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm absolutely gutted the new club got a very late equaliser at Greyskull today. I thought Hibs were going to be going into the final fixture two points in front of them, meaning they would HAVE to beat their wee team next week and hope that Hibs would also lose.

A draw next week might have been enough for Hibs, even if the new club won at PBS, had they not got that late goal.

Watching it here in Spain on Jeff Stelling, having done all the permutations early doors, Hibs up & cruising, huns down by 2, QOS winning, poppy theives drawing after 90 played, it was going brilliantly. Then, in stepped scottish refs & association, lo & behold, after 93 & 95 mins, their huns & mini huns make things SO much more complex & difficult for Hibs next week. WHERE did that extra time in that game come from meaning they were virtually the last team declared as FT on sky sports? Hibs were 2nd last declared HT on sky, yet full time was about 3 or 4 declared before the "equaliser" . Gutted doesnae dae it for me! Sick to my stomach about the advantage just handed to the robbing tax dodging huns over Hibs. I'm amazed there isnae mair Hibs fans gutted & furious at this nonsense. Establishment teams 1, Hibs nowt. Advantage back tae huns when they shoulda been beat & Hibs only needing a draw next week. Gutted totally at that. NO WAY was just about every other game in Britain finishing before they got their "equaliser" Yet again, Scottish Football, it's corrupt refs, & corrupt governing bodies, should be hanging their heads in shame.

BoomtownHibees
25-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Watching it here in Spain on Jeff Stelling, having done all the permutations early doors, Hibs up & cruising, huns down by 2, QOS winning, poppy theives drawing after 90 played, it was going brilliantly. Then, in stepped scottish refs & association, lo & behold, after 93 & 95 mins, their huns & mini huns make things SO much more complex & difficult for Hibs next week. WHERE did that extra time in that game come from meaning they were virtually the last team declared as FT on sky sports? Hibs were 2nd last declared HT on sky, yet full time was about 3 or 4 declared before the "equaliser" . Gutted doesnae dae it for me! Sick to my stomach about the advantage just handed to the robbing tax dodging huns over Hibs. I'm amazed there isnae mair Hibs fans gutted & furious at this nonsense. Establishment teams 1, Hibs nowt. Advantage back tae huns when they shoulda been beat & Hibs only needing a draw next week. Gutted totally at that. NO WAY was just about every other game in Britain finishing before they got their "equaliser" Yet again, Scottish Football, it's corrupt refs, & corrupt governing bodies, should be hanging their heads in shame.

It's no really advantage to them tho is it? They can win and still no finish 2nd whereas we win, we will finish 2nd

Jim44
25-04-2015, 07:40 PM
The Jambos will want to win but 80% of their support will be quietly delighted if Sevco win. We have to ignore what's happening with them and do the business at Falkirk. If we don't go out and repeat today's performance, we only deserve third place.

StevieC
25-04-2015, 07:40 PM
More chance of Falkirk putting out a weakened side, as they'll have one eye on the Scottish Cup final

brianmc
25-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Wow! Step away from the drugs/alcohol and breathe....

Advantage back tae the huns? We're a point better off than them, with a better goal difference going into the last game.
We're playing against a team with nothing (league wise) to play for-whose players might have an eye on not being injured/suspended for the cup final.
They're playing the gunts, at tynie, on trophy presentation day. The LAST day you want to lose a game and **** up the party you've been waiting ages for!
It's a conspiracy right enough..... Dearie me!

If we'd been offered, in July the chance to win our last game (v Falkirk) to finish second is there anyone who honestly wouldn't have taken that??
I know I would.

BoomtownHibees
25-04-2015, 07:42 PM
More chance of Falkirk putting out a weakened side, as they'll have one eye on the Scottish Cup final

Would love that to happen but they will have almost a month to recover before the final

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 07:44 PM
The Jambos will want to win but 80% of their support will be quietly delighted if Sevco win. We have to ignore what's happening with them and do the business at Falkirk. If we don't go out and repeat today's performance, we only deserve third place.

Not sure about that, most of the ones I know hate Rangers and Celtic a lot more than we do

hibees 7062
25-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Not wi him in charge Stevie

Carheenlea
25-04-2015, 08:07 PM
To only require a draw at least next week would of course have been welcomed, but it might not be that bad a thing to actually have to win to guarantee 2nd place. The mindset of the team might have been influenced by knowing a draw would do, and a more cautious approach adopted. We just have to be single minded now and focus on putting in an attacking and positive performance.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 08:09 PM
To only require a draw at least next week would of course have been welcomed, but it might not be that bad a thing to actually have to win to guarantee 2nd place. The mindset of the team might have been influenced by knowing a draw would do, and a more cautious approach adopted. We just have to be single minded now and focus on putting in an attacking and positive performance.

:agree: Go a couple of goals up early on and then sit back and enjoy the sunshine (hopefully!).

EastCalderHibby
25-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Hearts 93rd min penalty puts them on 90 points, one ahead of our previous record of 89. If they had gone into next weeks game on 88 points then you could have guaranteed a win, they are that obsessed with us and beating any sort of record

they'll be wanting a guard of honour for that now :greengrin

Speedy
25-04-2015, 08:24 PM

Correct. I blame the BBC for my confusion.

Jim44
25-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Not sure about that, most of the ones I know hate Rangers and Celtic a lot more than we do

A quick trawl on KB suggests to me that the vast majority want us to stay in the Championship. That's fair enough by me as I would be wishing the same if roles were reversed.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 08:51 PM
A quick trawl on KB suggests to me that the vast majority want us to stay in the Championship. That's fair enough by me as I would be wishing the same if roles were reversed.

Considering their derby record, I cannot understand why any Hearts fan would want their club to be in a different division from Hibs.

Ronster117
25-04-2015, 08:55 PM
If we want to finish second all we have to do is win. We owe the bairns a healthy drubbing. Their manager tried to tell AS how to do his job..... That will motivate our manager and team....
they have been fortunate to still remain unbeaten against us this season, I for one am not dreading this game but looking forward to it. Luck runs in cycles and theirs is about to run out:gwa:

Cameron1875
25-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Hearts will be in party mode next week so they'll not be fussed at lying down to their cousins.

We just need to look after ourselves and win! :gwa:

Bostonhibby
25-04-2015, 09:00 PM
All set up for a big occasion where the fans will do their bit as usual, over to the team - its in our control which has never really been a great place for a Hibs team to be. Stating the obvious but we should have beaten Falkirk a couple of time at least and didn't, hopefully we have finally learnt something about them and the coaching staff know how to beat them when it matters. All in Hibs hands - lets do it this time.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Hopefully we just get the job done by winning. Stops us having to worry about all the other possible outcomes.

Us winning and Rangers losing and going into their 1st play off game on a bad run would be even better

matty_f
25-04-2015, 09:01 PM
I hope we finish second, and I also hope we don't then switch off and think the job is done at that point. We still have difficult games to negotiate even if it's from a better starting point.

Jim44
25-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Considering their derby record, I cannot understand why any Hearts fan would want their club to be in a different division from Hibs.

That is a reasonable assumption but footballing issues are only a part of the big picture in terms of fan satisfaction and motivation. The bottom line is that the enjoyment of seeing the misery of their rivals' fans, schadenfreude, is quite a big priority. They would enjoy having matches against the old firm while we languish in the second tier.

majorhibs
25-04-2015, 09:20 PM
That is a reasonable assumption but footballing issues are only a part of the big picture in terms of fan satisfaction and motivation. The bottom line is that the enjoyment of seeing the misery of their rivals' fans, schadenfreude, is quite a big priority. They would enjoy having matches against the old firm while we languish in the second tier.

Which REALLY made me question the motivations of Petrie last season? Could he really have been that bad at picking managers that long?

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2015, 11:06 PM
A draw should be enough, but I'm unsure whether Hearts will bother trying, so let's do the job ourselves. If we finish second, I think QOTS would beat Rangers over two legs, which would be fantastic.

lord bunberry
26-04-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm glad it's Falkirk we're playing next week. The team and manager will be pumped up and have revenge on their minds.

Nutmegged
26-04-2015, 08:51 AM
I'm glad it's Falkirk we're playing next week. The team and manager will be pumped up and have revenge on their minds.

Rather you than me, I'd much prefer to be playing a team we know we can beat, going into this game playing against a team we haven't managed to best in 4 games this Season is dangerous, particularly after our manager wound them up after the latest failure to best them.

It'd be a good time to finally beat them but to sat I'm glad we are playing them would be stretching the truth to the point of just blatently lying.

lord bunberry
26-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Rather you than me, I'd much prefer to be playing a team we know we can beat, going into this game playing against a team we haven't managed to best in 4 games this Season is dangerous, particularly after our manager wound them up after the latest failure to best them.

It'd be a good time to finally beat them but to sat I'm glad we are playing them would be stretching the truth to the point of just blatently lying.
The fact that it's Falkirk will give the players that edge that we need. I'd be more worried if it was a team that needed to take something from the game. Teams who are in the cup final tend to look after themselves in the game before it.

1van Sprou7e
26-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Are Hearts being presented the trophy tomorrow?

Because if so they should be in the mood to win

Moulin Yarns
26-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Just had a conversation with my Falkirk supporting nephew and he would rather have Hibs than Rangers in the same league as them. Says it all, they see us as a soft touch.

Three weeks between our game and the cup final. Not sure how any bookings or red cards might affect them though.

thebakerboy
26-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Apart from the fact that The Rangers are on 66 points

And there GD is 30 , trust the ever reliable BBC to get it all wrong as usual.

Nutmegged
26-04-2015, 10:09 AM
And there GD is 30 , trust the ever reliable BBC to get it all wrong as usual.

Was that not a screen grab from the in play table when it was 2-1 to Falkirk? Don't think the BBC got it wrong, just the guy who posted it

Sir David Gray
26-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Was that not a screen grab from the in play table when it was 2-1 to Falkirk? Don't think the BBC got it wrong, just the guy who posted it

There was definitely a page on the BBC website last night that displayed the table as if Falkirk had won 2-1 yesterday.

No idea if it's been altered now.

CRAZYHIBBY
26-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Hearts will lie down to rangers so we need to win:na na:

green day
26-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Are Hearts being presented the trophy tomorrow?

Because if so they should be in the mood to win

Take it you mean next week?

In that case yes, their expectation is full team out, pump the huns, get the trophy, celebrate winning the second tier of scottish football (go figure, big team and all that............)

So, while we will get no favours from Houstons mob, equally I dont expect the jambos to 'lie down' at all to the huns next week.

Turkish Green
26-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Take it you mean next week?

In that case yes, their expectation is full team out, pump the huns, get the trophy, celebrate winning the second tier of scottish football (go figure, big team and all that............)

So, while we will get no favours from Houstons mob, equally I dont expect the jambos to 'lie down' at all to the huns next week.

The way GD stands at the moment, Sevco need a win. A draw is no use to them unless Falkirk win by 5 goals. As the Bairns are out of the Play-offs they will likely be saving themselves for the Cup Final. Although Houston may want to prove a point to Stubbs.

I do not trust the yams to do us any favours even against a keech poor Sevco team. So a win at Falkirk is a must.

Just Alf
26-04-2015, 01:05 PM
There was definitely a page on the BBC website last night that displayed the table as if Falkirk had won 2-1 yesterday.

No idea if it's been altered now.

Agreed :agree: i had to go check elsewhere to keep my sanity in check. :confused: