PDA

View Full Version : 50 years ago this weekend

emerald green
25-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later. :greengrin

What I hadn't appreciated was that Killie had been runners up in the league 4 times in the previous 5 seasons.

The table that season ended up as follows:

1) Kilmarnock - 50 points -goal difference (GD) =+29
2) HOMFC - 50 points - GD = +41
3) Dunfermline - 49 points - GD = +47
4) Hibernian - 46 points - GD = +28

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

I remember being at the match. Changed days in so many ways.

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.

Bostonhibby
25-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Didn't something similar happen to the "famous" more recently as well?

eastterrace
25-04-2015, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=emerald green;4357596]Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later. :greengrin

What I hadn't appreciated was that Killie had been runners up in the league 4 times in the previous 5 seasons.

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.[/QUO

the score was 2-0 and if it had been 2-1 then hearts would have won it. my late dad who was a jambo took me ( i was 10) all i can mind is jensen hitting the post and willie waddel running on at the end. your right tho hibs were close to winning it to.

emerald green
25-04-2015, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=emerald green;4357596]Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later. :greengrin

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.[/QUO

the score was 2-0 and if it had been 2-1 then hearts would have won it. my late dad who was a jambo took me ( i was 10) all i can mind is jensen hitting the post and willie waddel running on at the end. your right tho hibs were close to winning it to.

My mistake. :rolleyes: You are right. Alan Gordon had a shot right near the end of the match which would have made it 2-1, but there was a great save by the Kilmarnock goalkeeper.

linlithgowhibbie
25-04-2015, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=eastterrace;4357613]

My mistake. :rolleyes: You are right. Alan Gordon had a shot right near the end of the match which would have made it 2-1, but there was a great save by the Kilmarnock goalkeeper.

I was there wearing my brothers Leith Academy scarf (Blue and white stripes), happy day indeed

emerald green
26-04-2015, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=emerald green;4357615]

I was there wearing my brothers Leith Academy scarf (Blue and white stripes), happy day indeed

One of the things I remember from that day was the large support Kilmarnock had inside Tynecastle.

No segregation either in a 37,000 crowd, and I don't remember any trouble in the ground.

Also, the Scottish Cup final was being played on the same day!

blackpoolhibs
26-04-2015, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=linlithgowhibbie;4358286]

One of the things I remember from that day was the large support Kilmarnock had inside Tynecastle.

No segregation either in a 37,000 crowd, and I don't remember any trouble in the ground.

Also, the Scottish Cup final was being played on the same day!

Is there any chance we were in it that year and won? :wink:

emerald green
26-04-2015, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=emerald green;4358745]

Is there any chance we were in it that year and won? :wink:

If only Blackpool. If only.

Celtic v Dunfermline that day in front of 108,000 at Hampden.

superfurryhibby
27-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Great feature on Radio Scotland just finished. Chic interviews Tommy McLean and David Sneddon of the title winning side. Great to hear their anecdotes and to be fair to Chic, his style work wells with older guys, his bonhomie and patter, lol.

An outstanding era for Kille, European runs which involved spanking Eintracht Frankfurt 5-1 at Rugby Park, a title and the four runners up are pretty impressive.

Oh aye, I did rather revel in the end of season tragedy that took place at Tynecastle. Sair one for the Hearts

Funny, McLean and Alex McDonald were the two most despised anti heroes of my boyhood, the treatment they dished out to guys like Alex Edwards was reason. McLean was a decent player, but a niggling wee bassa of the highest degree.

Still, good feature by the BBC Scotland.

emerald green
27-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Great feature on Radio Scotland just finished. Chic interviews Tommy McLean and David Sneddon of the title winning side. Great to hear their anecdotes and to be fair to Chic, his style work wells with older guys, his bonhomie and patter, lol.

An outstanding era for Kille, European runs which involved spanking Eintracht Frankfurt 5-1 at Rugby Park, a title and the four runners up are pretty impressive.

Oh aye, I did rather revel in the end of season tragedy that took place at Tynecastle. Sair one for the Hearts

Funny, McLean and Alex McDonald were the two most despised anti heroes of my boyhood, the treatment they dished out to guys like Alex Edwards was reason. McLean was a decent player, but a niggling wee bassa of the highest degree.

Still, good feature by the BBC Scotland.

:agree: The bit in bold. Especially McDonald. He was a dirty wee scrote. Edwards & McDonald had a running feud going IIRC.

Strange how Hertz lost both those title chances on the last game of the season by the exact same scoreline of 2-0. A real shame. :greengrin

ancient hibee
27-04-2015, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;4358753]

If only Blackpool. If only.

Celtic v Dunfermline that day in front of 108,000 at Hampden.

Dunfermline beat us 2-0 at Tynecastle in the semi.For years I remembered it (and I was in my early 20s at the time)as two headers at the school end.Saw film of it recently and it turned out it was a header at one end and a shot at the other.

superfurryhibby
27-04-2015, 07:03 PM
:agree: The bit in bold. Especially McDonald. He was a dirty wee scrote. Edwards & McDonald had a running feud going IIRC.

Strange how Hertz lost both those title chances on the last game of the season by the exact same scoreline of 2-0. A real shame. :greengrin

Yep, even though I was only ten or so twelve, I remember the intensity of the struggle on field. Despite the fact that we usually got well done by Celtic, I seem to remember we pretty much hand the upper hand on the Hun during the Tornadoes (extended) era, or certainly at ER?

Aye, I think the anniversary if the game in question is coming up. A great story, you almost couldnae make it up. The four times runners up win a title, against their main rivals-away from home! Awesome.

emerald green
27-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I was at that semi-final at Tynecastle. In the March of that year Jock Stein had Hibs as serious contenders for the league title (along with three other clubs - Hearts, Kilmarnock & Dunfermline) and Hibs had beaten Rangers 2-1 in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup. Hibs were a fine side playing great football. They had won the Summer cup earlier beating Aberdeen 3-1 with goals from Hamilton (a great player), Scott and Cormack.

Then right out of the blue, in early March, Stein resigned to take over as manager of Celtic. Although very young at the time, I still recall being stunned and really disappointed at the timing of his departure, and still feel robbed in a way that he didn't stay until the end of the season, which was so close.

Hibs then lost the cup semi-final to Dunfermline at a packed Tynecastle, and ended up 4th in the league only 4 points behind the winners Kilmarnock.

Kato
28-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Then right out of the blue, in early March, Stein resigned to take over as manager of Celtic. Although very young at the time, I still recall being stunned and really disappointed at the timing of his departure, and still feel robbed in a way that he didn't stay until the end of the season, which was so close.

Stein asked Celtc if he could stay with Hibs, see the season out and join Celtc in the summer. Seemingly they told him that if he didn't leave there and then the deal was off and he would never be invited to take the job again.

Occasionally, when Hibs can take points which helps Celtc there fans go on about "cousins" and "favours". As a club Celtc have never ever once done us any favours. The exact opposite in fact.

Bill Milne
28-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I remember listening to the game with my older brother in our bedroom. Pleasing, so very pleasing.:thumbsup:

The best was yet to come, however, as Hertz forced a change to the goal average (GA) rule, changing it to goal difference (GD), which led to the debacle at Dens Park in 1986, where they lost on GD but would have won on GA.:not worth

Newry Hibs
28-04-2015, 10:05 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32441931

Has a link to the goals.

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Tommy McLean: "In those days, there wasn't any money in football. It was a sport, not a business.

Says it all for me.

fatbloke
28-04-2015, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=emerald green;4357615]

Bad Boy Linlithgowhibbie. You should have been supporting your local team:greengrin

heretoday
28-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Also, the Scottish Cup final was being played on the same day![/QUOTE]

I was there! The biggest crowd I've ever been in. McNeill scored the classic winner with a header from a corner late on. Alex Edwards was the tricky Pars winger at that time and Jim Herriot the athletic goalie.

I don't remember being bothered about events at Tynecastle but in those days there wasn't the same bitterness between the Edinburgh fans. Hibs had a tremendous team then although the defence could be flaky as in later years!

emerald green
28-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Stein asked Celtc if he could stay with Hibs, see the season out and join Celtc in the summer. Seemingly they told him that if he didn't leave there and then the deal was off and he would never be invited to take the job again.

Occasionally, when Hibs can take points which helps Celtc there fans go on about "cousins" and "favours". As a club Celtc have never ever once done us any favours. The exact opposite in fact.

:agree:

ancient hibee
28-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Tommy McLean: "In those days, there wasn't any money in football. It was a sport, not a business.

Says it all for me.

Tommy does talk a load of c**p.There was plenty money kicking around for top players in Scotland.Gordon Smith was driving a Porsche in the early 50s and it's well known that the Famous 5 regularly had difficulty getting their boots on because of the folding stuff inside.Yhe trouble was that the money in the game was not spent wisely by the clubs.

Pretty Boy
28-04-2015, 05:53 PM

Mu Grandad always insists that Ronnie Simpsons departure due to 'attitude' to Celtic for a relatively small fee and then Stein appearing on the scene a short while later absolutely stank

ancient hibee
28-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Mu Grandad always insists that Ronnie Simpsons departure due to 'attitude' to Celtic for a relatively small fee and then Stein appearing on the scene a short while later absolutely stank

To be fair Ronnie was showing signs of not fancying 50/50 balls and crosses at the time.Celtic turned out just right for him once Stein got things sorted out-not a lot of pressure but the ability to make outstanding saves.

iwasthere1972
28-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Has a link to the goals.

How bad was the Hearts defence? They looked a bit lethargic or maybe they had been up town the night before celebrating in advance.

eastterrace
28-04-2015, 06:17 PM
How bad was the Hearts defence? They looked a bit lethargic or maybe they had been up town the night before celebrating in advance.

nae pubs in george street back then.

PatHead
28-04-2015, 06:19 PM

I was at a book signing once and Neil Martin spoke. He was very bitter about the way Stein left them in the lurch and was convinced we would have won the league if he had stayed. Was that the season NM scored a hat-trick at Celtic Park? (Last Hibs player to do so.)

emerald green
28-04-2015, 06:21 PM
To be fair Ronnie was showing signs of not fancying 50/50 balls and crosses at the time.Celtic turned out just right for him once Stein got things sorted out-not a lot of pressure but the ability to make outstanding saves.

Stein's Celtic of course became the first British club to win the European Cup in 1967, only two years later.

I honestly believe Hibs would have become Scottish Champions, and dare I say it, may also have got the Scottish Cup monkey off the club's back had Jock Stein stayed to the end of that particular season, and maybe for a couple of seasons after that. Mr Stein was way ahead of his time IMHO.

CentreLine
28-04-2015, 08:31 PM
As I understand it had Jock Stein not been heavily in gambling debt he would not have left Hibs. Celtic were prepared to clear that debt and the rest is history.

brog
28-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Kilmarnock FC win the title at Tynecastle, defeating HOMFC by 2 goals to 1. Killie get the title by 0.042 of a goal. Goal average deciding the title then as opposed to goal difference, to which it was changed a few years later. :greengrin

Huns 5th & Sellick 8th

It could so easily have been Hibs that won the title that year too, but once again it wasn't to be.

I was at the game also in McLeod St end with my Hibs scarf discretely tucked inside my jacket. Near the end of the game I realised King Pat was standing in front of me, IIRC with his cousin Mickey McManus & Pat was even more discretely wearing his Hibs blazer! At the end of the game we shared a quietly exuberant, but extremely manly hug!

ancient hibee
29-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Stein's Celtic of course became the first British club to win the European Cup in 1967, only two years later.

I honestly believe Hibs would have become Scottish Champions, and dare I say it, may also have got the Scottish Cup monkey off the club's back had Jock Stein stayed to the end of that particular season, and maybe for a couple of seasons after that. Mr Stein was way ahead of his time IMHO.

From 8th in the Scottish first division(and lucky to be that)to European Champions in 2 years says it all.I also think we would have won a trophy that season if he had stayed.He was a force of nature in those early days and could get players to surpass anything they'd done before.

superfurryhibby
29-04-2015, 05:54 PM
As I understand it had Jock Stein not been heavily in gambling debt he would not have left Hibs. Celtic were prepared to clear that debt and the rest is history.

All hearsay of course but that interest in gambling is also cited as the reason Stein was never given a boardroom post at Celtic.

To be fair,, Shankly, his replacement had a fine managerial record and built a very good side , but the Stein season remains one of the biggest if only' sin Hibs history.

Will any side out with Celtic-Rangers ever win the Scottish League again? I have my doubts. 30 years of duopoly has been horrendous for our game and the gap is greater than it's ever been.

Forza Fred
29-04-2015, 08:29 PM
I was at the game also in McLeod St end with my Hibs scarf discretely tucked inside my jacket. Near the end of the game I realised King Pat was standing in front of me, IIRC with his cousin Mickey McManus & Pat was even more discretely wearing his Hibs blazer! At the end of the game we shared a quietly exuberant, but extremely manly hug!

I remember going to the Speedway at Meadowbank that night, to be disgusted to meet a fellow Leith Academy school chum, who had always up to that point been a Hibs supporter, wearing a Hearts scarf.

Appears he turned glory hunter for the day and my attempts to dispense summary justice there and then were negated by a much older yam.

Interestingly said glory hunter went on to be a well known sports writer for an Edinburgh publication, and I am aware he has spoken at social nights as a...Hibs supporter.

I know, and he knows about his dark momentary secret past though......:wink:

hibbybrian
30-04-2015, 01:48 AM

Apparently not :wink:

superfurryhibby
30-04-2015, 06:45 AM

I can't view that letter Brian. It keeps disappearing off my iPad screen. I can see it was written by Stein. Where did you unearth it?

Got it. Clearly no surprise when he moved, bizarre timing though. That is quite a piece of memoribilia.

monarch
30-04-2015, 03:49 PM

Maybe so but beating Celtic in a cup final didn't appear to bother him when manager of Dunfermline in 1961 !

CockneyRebel
30-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Has a link to the goals.

Barry

emerald green
01-05-2015, 09:30 AM

:aok:

From 8th in the Scottish first division(and lucky to be that)to European Champions in 2 years says it all.I also think we would have won a trophy that season if he had stayed.He was a force of nature in those early days and could get players to surpass anything they'd done before.

:agree:

Very interesting piece of football memorabilia that!

When I posted that Stein's departure came right out of the blue, I was of course talking about my reaction as a very young lad supporting Hibs and was not privi to what may or may not have been going on behind the scenes at the time.

I just remembered the Hibs support being hugely disappointed, and a feeling of having been let down. The timing of his departure did seem very strange at the time.