PDA

View Full Version : Easter Road or Tynecastle????

Roberts1875
24-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Just been having a wee shifty at Kickback (as I sometimes like to do, there more threads about us over there than actual Hearts affairs!). There's a wee thread on stadia, specifically ours and theirs. Apparently our stadium is soulless, clinical, and lacks any kind of atmosphere. Now I realise ER is a stadium of the 21st century due to our investing for the future rather than living in the past, however it got me to wondering, has the atmosphere in General dropped since the days of the old east terracing, the main stand, and the good old shed??

Lago
24-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Just been having a wee shifty at Kickback (as I sometimes like to do, there more threads about us over there than actual Hearts affairs!). There's a wee thread on stadia, specifically ours and theirs. Apparently our stadium is soulless, clinical, and lacks any kind of atmosphere. Now I realise ER is a stadium of the 21st century due to our investing for the future rather than living in the past, however it got me to wondering, has the atmosphere in General dropped since the days of the old east terracing, the main stand, and the good old shed??
Yes

SaulGoodman
24-04-2015, 08:52 PM
I agree with them :duck:

Don't think it's the stadium that causes the lack of atmosphere. More to do with the results the last 10 years. Games like pre kickoff Malmo and recent derbies. (Particularly the 1-0 Hearts Scottish Cup game) has shown there can be a good atmosphere.

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2015, 09:06 PM
The new year derby here we won 2-1 was superb. The atmosphere that night was great, and of course much better than anything those gimps have had in their tiny wee ground.

Kato
24-04-2015, 09:07 PM

People make an atmosphere not a stand.

They've had plenty to shout about in recent years given the amount of cash laundered through their club whilst Hibs' form had suffered due to basic mismanagement.

On a good day ER has a cracking, loud atmosphere with plenty colour and good humour - all in a stadium that actually suits the title.

On a bad day at Tynecastle you can hear the jambos' plooks pop, hear every moan and mumble and the only atmosphere comes from the away end - all in a "stadium" that is out-dated, dangerous, has floodlights that barely work, has a pitch with more dips than Torvil and Dean, has holes in the roofs, is situated in a part of town that smells and even on non match days is frequented by sex-pests.

Wonder how much the council will actually spend on doing it up for them.

iwasthere1972
24-04-2015, 09:08 PM
I've been to Easter Road and Tynecastle in the 60's and 70's when the attendances were only 7K (I'm obviously not talking about Derby matches) and when the stadium capacities were about double they are now. It was like being on a picnic.

A full or near full Easter Road and a winning team would match the atmosphere of the good old days.

Michael
24-04-2015, 09:21 PM
There's not really much debate to be had. A smaller stadium with the roughly same number of people will have a better atmosphere. I'd rather have our stadium though - it's still small enough to be capable of a decent atmosphere.

Leithenhibby
24-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I've been to Easter Road and Tynecastle in the 60's and 70's when the attendances were only 7K (I'm obviously not talking about Derby matches) and when the stadium capacities were about double they are now. It was like being on a picnic.

A full or near full Easter Road and a winning team would match the atmosphere of the good old days.

:agree:

Perhaps we should remind them of the, Willie Gibson years :wink:

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Ah the famous Tynecastle atmosphere. Up there with the biggest myths in world football. The first Derby there this season summed it up. Could hear a pin drop amongst their Nazi saluting fans for the first 70 mins, they score two quick goals and the famous atmosphere arrives again.
Tynecastle is literally a hovel of a ground. It really is awful and not fit for this century.
Easter Rd has shown on a number of occasions that the atmosphere can be electric. Of course it's been predominantly crap in the past few years though. It's been 2/3'rds empty some weeks and the folk that are there have been raging with everything to do with the club. There's not a stadium in the world that would have a good atmosphere if it was over half empty

matty_f
24-04-2015, 11:11 PM
The new year derby here we won 2-1 was superb. The atmosphere that night was great, and of course much better than anything those gimps have had in their tiny wee ground.

Spot on. We have had some great atmospheres at Easter Road.

Smartie
24-04-2015, 11:19 PM
I don't know what it sounds like elsewhere in the ground but I don't enjoy games as much or feel that the atmosphere in the new East is anything like as good as the old East.

It could be wild in there at times. Great days.

LaMotta
24-04-2015, 11:53 PM
I don't know what it sounds like elsewhere in the ground but I don't enjoy games as much or feel that the atmosphere in the new East is anything like as good as the old East.

It could be wild in there at times. Great days.

Agreed. Easter Road is lacking a bit of character as it is now.

O'Rourke3
25-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Asbestos ridden with the cheapest steel purchasable and sun bleached pink seats, Tynecastle's stands and their proximity to the pitch, added to the necessary slope due to no space, make the atmosphere almost a given.
They've built a crucible out of necessity. It's not a "big" crowd (and never an intelligent crowd). Lets face it - It's a cheap crowd - basking in some fantasy that they are a big team. Tynecastle has never had the atmosphere of a full Easter Road with or without the old East Terrace - despite what they tell themselves. If that's not what the OP was on about then LTYF.
While I believe they have around 400,000 supporters in the Edinburgh area, their small crowds in the 70's are substantially smaller than our small crowds now and that's without the distractions of alternate entertainment.

lord bunberry
25-04-2015, 01:27 AM
A half empty stadium is never going to generate much of an atmosphere, I don't know why we don't close a stand until such time that our crowds rise.

Pete
25-04-2015, 02:08 AM
A half empty stadium is never going to generate much of an atmosphere, I don't know why we don't close a stand until such time that our crowds rise.

There will still be the same amount of people there though...they will just be in different places. :greengrin

Our stadium is indeed half full and it's no surprise when you consider the crap we've had to put up with and where we are. It is the right size for our club though. We've only had small tasters of its potential and it will be realised once the club realises its potential.

As for stadium design enhancing atmosphere, I think it's true. Steep, single tier stands that are close to the pitch like tynecastle do help, as do small bits of converted terracing (our East and dunfermlines North were/are fantastic).

It is mainly the people and the occasion that make the atmosphere though and once we have more to cheer about more people will come. Tony Mowbray used to talk about an "upward spiral" and that's exactly what will happen.

Keith_M
25-04-2015, 06:13 AM
The building of the New East stand roughly coincided with the downward spiral of the team. That is the ONLY reason the atmosphere in it doesn't seem the same as it's predecessor.

There have been a fair few matches when the atmosphere was really good, but the soul has been ripped out after years of under-performing teams.

Hibby Bairn
25-04-2015, 06:33 AM
A stadium just like Livi's would probably do us just fine.

And same goes for almost all Scottish teams.

lucky
25-04-2015, 06:59 AM
I would not swap ER for the PBS. Hibs have invested in the future, our day will come again. The New Year Derby that we won 2-1 was the best the stadium has been since AEK game. Our problem has been the team not performing for years. I do think that many are blinkered on here with regards to the old East shed. I was never a regular in it but the noise was not that great, half the time it sounded like a few laddies singing and barely carried across to the West.

Keith_M
25-04-2015, 07:13 AM

So you'd like to only ever allow a maximum of 9,500 people to attend Hibs games?

Mark79
25-04-2015, 07:28 AM
How many internationals have been played at the asbestos arena in the last few years in comparison to ER?

Think that tells you aomething about that stadium.

MSK
25-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Pink seats ..girlie whirlies ... the old wooden asbestos ridden **** hole they call a stand ...& this ..14736 ....says all you need to know about the cludgie dome ..

Alan62
25-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Clearly, in facility terms, Easter Road is a much better stadium. However, it is possible for stadium design to affect the atmosphere at a match. I find Hampden a dreadful place to watch games due to the perspective from pretty much any part of the ground. Having said that, I don't think Easter Road's issues are anything to do with the physical space. The stadium would be fine if it was full to the brim with enthusiastic fans.

green day
25-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Kickbackers are not the brightest, lets be honest - if they are so disinterested in our 'wee' club, then why do they persist in commenting?

Its a bit like the morons on the EEN website.

Clearly we have suffered a lot with the money being pumped into stadium and facilities redevelopment at the same time as investment on the pitch has taken a nosedive - thanks for that Rodney :rolleyes:

14500 scarf twirlers are bound to make a noise in such a small stadium, so the argument is nonsense unless you compared like for like - e.g. A full Easter Road v a full wongadome? Wouldnt be any comparison, there would be 4500 more at our place for a start.

Over the road, well we know how they financed their last 10+ years - and its not surprising that no money went on the crumbling pit, the romanov regime would have had to come up with real money for that, rather than the 'rob peter to pay paul' regime they employed with players/hmrc etc.

It seems clear to me that they will continue to subsidise the team next year (their fans will demand it, they are famous, dontcha know:wink:) and just do the bare minimum (paint steps, bitumen on the leaking roof etc).

It does leave budge in an awkward position though, she knows its a dump and if they have any ambition at all, then they need to move - as they cant rebuild a larger stadium on that site.

And anyone who comes up with any 'the cooncil will build them a stadium' nonsense knows nothing about Edinburgh Councils debts. Might they go down the route of selling the dump and sharing with a council facility? Perhaps, but it will have to be multi use and a combined Rugby/Athletics/Jambos stadium, then brilliant - any running track will kill the atmosphere just like hampden.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-04-2015, 08:07 AM
You can say the new East is not as good as the old. Then you can say it was better before the seats went in, better before it was covered and so on. It is what it is. Much rather sit in the new East when we did the Rangers 4-0, than stand in amongst 4,000 odd from the Bertie Auld days.

Jdawg
25-04-2015, 09:03 AM
The number of away fans also has a big impact on atmosphere. Can't see there being much of one at either ground when some teams bring a couple of hundred fans.

In the big games ER has had an excellent atmosphere.

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-04-2015, 09:59 AM

Yes, absolutely, if Farmer hadn't had it built too high to keep the houses at the back from getting a peek it would have been much better IMO

Argylehibby
25-04-2015, 10:20 AM
People make an atmosphere not a stand.

They've had plenty to shout about in recent years given the amount of cash laundered through their club whilst Hibs' form had suffered due to basic mismanagement.

On a good day ER has a cracking, loud atmosphere with plenty colour and good humour - all in a stadium that actually suits the title.

On a bad day at Tynecastle you can hear the jambos' plooks pop, hear every moan and mumble and the only atmosphere comes from the away end - all in a "stadium" that is out-dated, dangerous, has floodlights that barely work, has a pitch with more dips than Torvil and Dean, has holes in the roofs, is situated in a part of town that smells and even on non match days is frequented by sex-pests.

Wonder how much the council will actually spend on doing it up for them.

:top marks

lord bunberry
25-04-2015, 10:28 AM
There will still be the same amount of people there though...they will just be in different places. :greengrin

Our stadium is indeed half full and it's no surprise when you consider the crap we've had to put up with and where we are. It is the right size for our club though. We've only had small tasters of its potential and it will be realised once the club realises its potential.

As for stadium design enhancing atmosphere, I think it's true. Steep, single tier stands that are close to the pitch like tynecastle do help, as do small bits of converted terracing (our East and dunfermlines North were/are fantastic).

It is mainly the people and the occasion that make the atmosphere though and once we have more to cheer about more people will come. Tony Mowbray used to talk about an "upward spiral" and that's exactly what will happen.
The fans would at least be closer together if we closed a stand. Of course closing a stand isn't the answer, getting more fans in the stadium is what we need, but that's not going to happen overnight.

emerald green
25-04-2015, 11:09 AM
The dafties on Keekback have got some cheek criticising ER in any way. Their ground (I won't call it a stadium - lol) is a total s***hole.

Short memories the dafties have got. I remember when crowds at Tynecastle were down to around 3/4,000 tops in the yo-yo days (three relegations in short order).

Tumbleweed doesn't even come near describing the "atmosphere" at the PBS in those days, and to say it has a better atmosphere than anywhere else these days is a myth.

DH1875
25-04-2015, 02:03 PM

EH??? Can't agree with that at all.

Keith_M
25-04-2015, 03:11 PM
EH??? Can't agree with that at all.

There's no point answering him now, he'll be at Ibrox.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Tynecastle isn't a patch on Easter Road.

Any of them who try to claim otherwise are delusional.

chrisski33
25-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Easter rd always! Cant believe the question was even put forward!

Ronster117
25-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Pink seats ..girlie whirlies ... the old wooden asbestos ridden **** hole they call a stand ...& this ..14736 ....says all you need to know about the cludgie dome ..
Room enough for their 400,000 fans, I see ET and his bird are also jamboids

Carheenlea
25-04-2015, 07:57 PM
To put it simply - I couldn`t give a flying toss about what Hearts fans think on their messageboard.

Easter Road is a great stadium, and the atmosphere has been terrific on many an occasion. Not going to be like that every week of course, just like every other stadium in the country.

Thecat23
25-04-2015, 08:01 PM
The Scottish cup game right after the 2012 final when Spoony scored the winner the place was full and bouncing when that goal went in. On its day it's a better ground than theirs. Sadly it's not filled enough now.

since90plustwo
25-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Tin hat on, in my past derby experiences, the atmospheres have always been better at their patch. Don't know if thats because away derby games are more fun or what. Its an absolute hole filled with vermin but that aside, atmosphere wise theirs is better on the whole, but i'd still much rather have our stadium every day of the week. Agree with the fact that if we filled out our stadium every week the atmosphere would be much better. The place needs a little character which was lost since the old east stand but was definitely the right time to build it !

Winston Ingram
25-04-2015, 08:28 PM

This. We've suffered from the fact that we've been honkin since we built it. We also haven't had the joy of getting away with a £60m robbery to generate a bit of Euphoria.

NAE NOOKIE
26-04-2015, 12:14 PM
As loads of posters have said ..... the PBS probably does have a better atmosphere than ER but that's not down to the Yams fans, its down to the accidental configuration of the stands, in fact I cant ever remember anybody saying the Yam fans as a support are good at creating an atmosphere. For example look at how pish they were at Hampden until they went 2 - 0 up.

Easter Road comes into its own when its full and can easily best a full Wongadome on these occasions .... we just need more of them :greengrin Having said that, if the conditions are right ER can still be pretty good as anybody who was at the Dundee Utd game will testify.

Anyway .... its best to have these conversations now, because in the years to come it will be a no contest, football grounds with 8 lane running tracks are rarely rated for atmosphere :aok:

Hermit Crab
26-04-2015, 01:29 PM
The Scottish cup game right after the 2012 final when Spoony scored the winner the place was full and bouncing when that goal went in. On its day it's a better ground than theirs. Sadly it's not filled enough now.

It was nowhere near full.

Thecat23
26-04-2015, 01:31 PM
It was nowhere near full.

The East was full the main was packed and I think behind the goals was almost full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
26-04-2015, 01:34 PM
The East was full the main was packed and I think behind the goals was almost full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17k. Still well shy of capacity but I do think we will get fans back to watching us regularly, especially if we get through the playoffs.

Ozyhibby
26-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Have the council not already got plans for Meadowbank?
Once they do that there is no chance. They will get involved in any scheme with the yams. Whatever they come up with, it won't have a running track.
I suspect the Budge's plan will be to muddle on at Tynie as best they can for a few years until they can produce some sellable talent to finance a new main stand.

NAE NOOKIE
26-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Have the council not already got plans for Meadowbank?
Once they do that there is no chance. They will get involved in any scheme with the yams. Whatever they come up with, it won't have a running track.
I suspect the Budge's plan will be to muddle on at Tynie as best they can for a few years until they can produce some sellable talent to finance a new main stand.

But is it not also the case that the pitch at the PBS is too narrow for UEFA tournaments ... any new stand would have to be built a good few meters back from where the deathtrap currently stands ... that would mean the two stands behind the goals would fall a good bit short of the length of the byline .... could end up looking quite funny.

Ozyhibby
26-04-2015, 02:50 PM
If I were them I wouldn't worry about it. How many euro games do they get every 10 years? Why design a stadium for so few games. Just rent Murrayfield when needed.

The Gorf
26-04-2015, 03:17 PM
No disrespect to the drum and section 43 ( they actually try their best) but can you imagine if they just didn't bother anymore? I remember the old East with very fond memories. Yes, we have to get modern and into the 21st century but........... this has been a long way to say YES I miss it.

Ozyhibby
26-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Get things right on the park and Hibs back challenging at the top of the Premiership and the atmosphere will take care of itself.

Aldo
26-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Tin hat on, in my past derby experiences, the atmospheres have always been better at their patch. Don't know if thats because away derby games are more fun or what. Its an absolute hole filled with vermin but that aside, atmosphere wise theirs is better on the whole, but i'd still much rather have our stadium every day of the week. Agree with the fact that if we filled out our stadium every week the atmosphere would be much better. The place needs a little character which was lost since the old east stand but was definitely the right time to build it !

Disagree. They have an absolute dump of a ground and the main stand should be condemned.

The powers that be forced the likes of Livi and the likes to spend money (they didn't have) to provide at least 10,000 seats back in the day but let's face it the PBS is an accident waiting to happen.

We should be proud of what WE have and how WE have paid for it all.

**** them

Jdawg
26-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Tynie is indeed a death trap. Where's the video of that boy falling down the stairs and over the advertising boards :D

Stax
26-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Disagree. They have an absolute dump of a ground and the main stand should be condemned.

The powers that be forced the likes of Livi and the likes to spend money (they didn't have) to provide at least 10,000 seats back in the day but let's face it the PBS is an accident waiting to happen.

We should be proud of what WE have and how WE have paid for it all.

**** them
My 12 yr old Son asked me yesterday about the Bradford fire after all the minutes silence observed yesterday. The only example I could give to him of the the type of stand and the materials and circumstances that led to it that he'd understand was Tynecastle. I'm not being crass or point scoring as I also quantified it with the fact our old stand and all others used to be the exact same. But that's the point. At big expense we've moved on. Although I miss the old days (especially the east terrace pre & post covered) we now have the best football stadium outwith the old firm. Crowds will always reflect quality and success on the park and I think we're slowly getting back there. If I supported a Big team I suppose gnawing doubts my team played in a shi**y archaic wee ground would make me big up the "atmosphere". GGTTH

Killiehibbie
26-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Tin hat on, in my past derby experiences, the atmospheres have always been better at their patch. Don't know if thats because away derby games are more fun or what. Its an absolute hole filled with vermin but that aside, atmosphere wise theirs is better on the whole, but i'd still much rather have our stadium every day of the week. Agree with the fact that if we filled out our stadium every week the atmosphere would be much better. The place needs a little character which was lost since the old east stand but was definitely the right time to build it !I would say when they get going it sounds good but not any better than a Hibs team worth shouting about.

whiskyhibby
26-04-2015, 06:02 PM

Well said [emoji48]

Carheenlea
26-04-2015, 06:14 PM
I`ve been going to games at both Easter Road and Tynecastle for 30 odd years, and it is not really up for debate what stadium is the superior. Back in the late 70`s and 80`s the stadiums were both traditional grounds with their own unique character and neither was really any better than the other, but now Easter Road is streets ahead of it`s sorry Gorgie neighbour.
As for atmosphere, all I can say is that over the years of attending both grounds, the stand-out atmosphere`s have been at Easter Road. Been some crackers at Tynecastle alright, but none that eclipse the best experienced at Easter Road.

Eyrie
26-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Tynie is indeed a death trap. Where's the video of that boy falling down the stairs and over the advertising boards :D

That was no laughing matter - he could have been seriously injured if he hadn't landed on his head.

jgl07
26-04-2015, 08:02 PM
And what the hell will that do to improve atmosphere?

Which stand should be closed? Assuming you are referring to the South Stand, where will the visiting support go. And how the hell will you organise segregation if you put them anywhere else.

Stupid suggestion.

Sir David Gray
26-04-2015, 08:10 PM
And what the hell will that do to improve atmosphere?

Which stand should be closed? Assuming you are referring to the South Stand, where will the visiting support go. And how the hell will you organise segregation if you put them anywhere else.

Stupid suggestion.

Just don't sell any tickets to away fans.

Problem solved! :greengrin

Bad Martini
27-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Asbestos ridden with the cheapest steel purchasable and sun bleached pink seats, Tynecastle's stands and their proximity to the pitch, added to the necessary slope due to no space, make the atmosphere almost a given.
They've built a crucible out of necessity. It's not a "big" crowd (and never an intelligent crowd). Lets face it - It's a cheap crowd - basking in some fantasy that they are a big team. Tynecastle has never had the atmosphere of a full Easter Road with or without the old East Terrace - despite what they tell themselves. If that's not what the OP was on about then LTYF.
While I believe they have around 400,000 supporters in the Edinburgh area, their small crowds in the 70's are substantially smaller than our small crowds now and that's without the distractions of alternate entertainment.

Great post :thumbsup:

I would only add that in order to partake in said atmosphere, one must embrace the necessity to drink from puddles rather than cups, develop an unhealthy and downright strange obsession with our apparent collective gayness and the fact they see no issues in employing convicted criminals. :greengrin

...Beyond that, they're a great bunch o lads with a top atmosphere going on...along with asbestos and a stand that is possibly in line for grade A listing status, in line with many other ancient, crumbling monuments across Scotland...

#pubteam :aok:

Waxy
27-04-2015, 11:38 AM
When ER gets its safe standing area in the lower FF the atmosphere will be superb in the big games.
Even the old East standing wasnt great in the wee matches.

basehibby
27-04-2015, 07:43 PM

What a gratuitously stupid and ignorant post - are you really a Hibs fan? I really wonder because any real Hibby would be perfectly aware that we HAVE sold out our stadium this season and will on many other occasions in future.

Having a state of the art stadium with 20,000 capacity is a statement of intent for a club like Hibs - it gives us the potential to outgrow clubs like Hearts as quite simply we have significantly more capacity to earn money for the club.

Anyway - back to the OP - ER or Tynie???? are you kidding??? there is simply no competition - we have a lovely world class arena fit to be proud of - they have a rotting hovel fast approaching it's end of life. We have a money spinner - they have a money pit. We have a sense that the sky's the limit - they have a sense that the sky (or rather their asbestos roof) is about to fall on their heads.

bigwheel
27-04-2015, 07:46 PM

...i've seen some bad posts on here...but that is right up there

Hermit Crab
27-04-2015, 08:10 PM
...i've seen some bad posts on here...but that is right up there

Don't worry he's at it as usual.

Ronster117
27-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Wasn't there a great atmosphere at tynie New Year's Day 1973
Easter road for me by a country mile