PDA

View Full Version : Missing penalties

KeithTheHibby
23-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Missed a few this season off the top of my head?

Craig V the Yams?

Malonga v Dumbarton?

McGeogh V Livi?

Farid V Dumbarton?

Any more?

More importantly who is our regular penalty taker?

O'Rourke3
23-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Dylan when he's fit

Sent from my brain

H18sry
23-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Dylan when he's fit

Sent from my brain

Was he not fit last night?

B.H.F.C
23-04-2015, 09:11 AM
I'd imagine Cummings or Allan will be next up

Geo_1875
23-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Should let Cummings take all our penalties.
He's full of confidence, and needs the practice for the play-offs.

Winston Ingram
23-04-2015, 09:17 AM

I'd rather he didn't take pens in the playoffs after his last playoff effort :duck:

Salt N Sauzee
23-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Craig V the Yams?

Malonga v Dumbarton?

McGeogh V Livi?

Farid V Dumbarton?

Any more?

Liam Craig was our regular pen taker last season....

Bad Martini
23-04-2015, 11:15 AM
I'd rather he didn't take pens in the playoffs after his last playoff effort :duck:

:greengrin

#badman

allezsauzee
23-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Malonga's pen against Dumbarton would have been a goal if the officials eyesight had been a bit better

Jones28
23-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Missing 4 penalties, not good stats. How many points have we dropped as a result?

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Missing 4 penalties, not good stats. How many points have we dropped as a result?

2, hard to quantify the Craig one v Hearts.

Biggie
23-04-2015, 11:51 AM
so we'd be above the the rangers....and Craig missed when we were 1 up did he no ?...so that surely would have been a swing of 3 points (sorry cant remember for sure if we were already 1 up when we got the pen - no doubt someone will confirm)

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2015, 11:52 AM
so we'd be above the the rangers....and Craig missed when we were 1 up did he no ?...so that surely would have been a swing of 3 points (sorry cant remember for sure if we were already 1 up when we got the pen - no doubt someone will confirm)

0-0 at the time

MB62
23-04-2015, 11:54 AM

I thought the one last night was well taken, but a combination of the keeper guessing the right way and then being about TWO YARDS OFF HIS LINE meant he was able to make a good save.

Refs assistant standing on the line watching for this I presume and he doesn't see this? what's the point in him being there?

Biggie
23-04-2015, 11:59 AM
0-0 at the time

ok, thanks mate...

Brooster
23-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Last nights penalty was poorly taken, it was the perfect height for the keeper and nowhere near the post. I would like to see Jason take them, strikers thrive on goals.

Smartie
23-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Did Craig score in the shootout against Hamilton ? I can't remember.

He scored in the shootout against United and scored a big penalty against the Jambos last year too. He's shown bottle to score a few for us now.

Ok, he missed the one at the start of this season but I'd have him taking them.

If he manages to get into the team.

essexhibee
23-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Missed at 0-0 but we were all over them and the confidence of scoring first who knows what would have happened.

Lago
23-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Off on a bit of a tangent, but I don't think have had as good penalty taker as Daren Jackson, hit hard and low, he seldom missed

The Sundance Kid
23-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Did Craig score in the shootout against Hamilton ? I can't remember.

He scored in the shootout against United and scored a big penalty against the Jambos last year too. He's shown bottle to score a few for us now.

Ok, he missed the one at the start of this season but I'd have him taking them.

If he manages to get into the team.

He did score in that shootout, in fact he's scored 5 of the 6 penalties he's taken for us so does have a good record.

Judging by Stubbs interview last night though, I think McGeouch will remain penalty taker

Bristolhibby
23-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Off on a bit of a tangent, but I don't think have had as good penalty taker as Daren Jackson, hit hard and low, he seldom missed

That said, before last May we hadn't lost a domestic penalty shootout EVER.

J

Billy Whizz
23-04-2015, 01:12 PM
That said, before last May we hadn't lost a domestic penalty shootout EVER.

J

Now lost 2 on the trot. Hope the play off final doesn't go to penalties

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-04-2015, 02:05 PM
4 missed pens and two pen shoutout defeats on the bounce ain't great. That's 3 McGeough has taken and he's done pretty much the exact same thing with them all. The keeper last night had already faced one of his pens so knew where it was going.
Not sure if I'd give Cummings or Allan a shot? Farid scored a couple recently for the 20's but then missed when it mattered.
Although he missed one in the last Falkirk semi, Sparky always filled me with confidence when he stepped up

brog
23-04-2015, 03:05 PM
I've not been over impressed with DM's pens this season. For at least a couple the keeper's been close to saving. Before he took it last night I was screaming for him to change the direction. Instead he hit it in same place as his previous pens, including against Livi & keeper was almost waiting for it. Really poor, lack of preparation, planning & execution. I think LC is by far our best pen taker but he's unlikely to be a 1st choice.

Jones28
23-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Too high and not far enough into the corners, a goalkeepers dream penalty.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2015, 03:44 PM

Did he miss one at Ibrox once? Sure I remember that, think we lost 1-0.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2015, 03:51 PM
I've not been over impressed with DM's pens this season. For at least a couple the keeper's been close to saving. Before he took it last night I was screaming for him to change the direction. Instead he hit it in same place as his previous pens, including against Livi & keeper was almost waiting for it. Really poor, lack of preparation, planning & execution. I think LC is by far our best pen taker but he's unlikely to be a 1st choice.

Thought the two McGeough scored were nearly perfect penalties. Hard and right in the corner out of the keepers reach, even when he guessed right.

Last night though I think we all knew what he was going to do. Including the goalie who was nearly away before he hit it.

Iggy Pope
23-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Craig V the Yams?

Malonga v Dumbarton?

McGeogh V Livi?

Farid V Dumbarton?

Any more?

Out the LC on penalties too.

LaMotta
23-04-2015, 04:53 PM

He scored one and we won 1-0 after Harper was brought down just outside the box :greengrin About 1995 i think. Before the Sproule hattrick game it was our latest victory at Ibrox.

West hamBERNIAN
23-04-2015, 05:03 PM

Never feared latapy stepping up for pens.

Bighibby
23-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Out the LC on penalties too.

I'd get Oxley to take the pens. If he can score from 80 yards I'm sure he could score from 18.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2015, 05:40 PM
I'd get Oxley to take the pens. If he can score from 80 yards I'm sure he could score from 18.

Thought the penalty spot was 12 yards out?

Nakedmanoncrack
23-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Never feared latapy stepping up for pens.

Missed one in the first division clinching game at Firhill, woud have made it a hatrick.

Hermit Crab
23-04-2015, 08:43 PM

Tam mcmanus missed one at ibrox. Think we lost 5-2 and it was 2-2 at the time.

EastCalderHibby
23-04-2015, 08:44 PM

did he no miss one v dufc in the cup

Hibeesmad
23-04-2015, 08:46 PM
did he no miss one v dufc in the cup

I'm sure he scored? Gray and Kennedy missed IIRC

EastCalderHibby
23-04-2015, 08:47 PM

sure it was 0 0 at the time

The Sundance Kid
23-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm sure he scored? Gray and Kennedy missed IIRC

Cummings had been subbed off before the shootout against Dundee United, only penalty he's taken at senior level so far was the miss in the shootout against Hamilton

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2015, 08:53 PM
I'd like to see David Gray take them, or Scott Allan. Both strike the ball very well and are normally very confident players.

I don't like left footed penalty kick takers, i dont know the stats but when i'm watching penalties or penalty shoot outs, there seems to be a higher percentage of left footed players that miss.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-04-2015, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see David Gray take them, or Scott Allan. Both strike the ball very well and are normally very confident players.

I don't like left footed penalty kick takers, i dont know the stats but when i'm watching penalties or penalty shoot outs, there seems to be a higher percentage of left footed players that miss.

Gray missed the crucial one in the DUFC cup game. He did strike it sweetly mind, right down the middle though. He's injured a lot as well so could still be relying on someone else at times.
I liked the way Sparky used to whip them with his left peg right into the corner. He even told the Motherwell keeper where he was going to put his second in that 0-4 game and the keeper still couldn't reach it [emoji4]

emerald green
24-04-2015, 10:46 AM
I thought the one last night was well taken, but a combination of the keeper guessing the right way and then being about TWO YARDS OFF HIS LINE meant he was able to make a good save.

Refs assistant standing on the line watching for this I presume and he doesn't see this? what's the point in him being there?

:agree: Yet another example of the officials not doing the job they are paid to do. I simply ask why? The evidence is overwhelming.

scoopyboy
24-04-2015, 10:53 AM

I'm exactly the same.

Once I told an ex goalie this and to my surprise he agreed, he said you could always read where they were going to place them.

Sparky was an obvious exception to that rule but he tended to put all his penalties to the goalkeepers left. Only one I can think different was when he changed sides at St.Mirren.

I can remember Joe Tortolano taking a penalty, I don't think there was a single person in the ground that expected him to score.

brog
24-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Thought the two McGeough scored were nearly perfect penalties. Hard and right in the corner out of the keepers reach, even when he guessed right.

Last night though I think we all knew what he was going to do. Including the goalie who was nearly away before he hit it.

My memory was that for at least one of them, Q of S? the keeper was very close to the ball. Anyway, we're agreed his pen on Wed was keek!