PDA

View Full Version : Summer football

Billy Whizz
23-04-2015, 07:39 AM
How pleasant it was to watch a game on a nice sunny evening. Some fans in shorts and T shirts. Brings me back to thinking, maybe we should be playing more football in the summer months!
What's everyone's thoughts about this?

Thecat23
23-04-2015, 07:42 AM
I'd love to switch to summer football myself! Sitting watching football when it's warm is great.

Hibby Bairn
23-04-2015, 07:47 AM
How pleasant it was to watch a game on a nice sunny evening. Some fans in shorts and T shirts. Brings me back to thinking, maybe we should be playing more football in the summer months!

Yip. Very enjoyable last night even if I couldn't see the other side of the pitch for the first 15 minutes until the sun set behind the main stand!

Andy74
23-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Where was everyone that would come back if summer football was played though?

andrew70
23-04-2015, 07:51 AM

They were too busy doing the garden...got to make use of the better weather and all that. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP I think we'll see a lot of change in the next 4 to 5 years in Scottish football with summer football being one of them.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2015, 07:52 AM

Andy, I'm sure a lot more would have been there if it hadn't be on Zitelli

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2015, 07:54 AM
I dunno. I have to say, I would miss the Christmas fixtures, and also, a lot of people go away on Summer holidays between June-August. Plus, this is Scotland we live in - as our intertoto games have shown in the past, we're never guaranteed ok weather.

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Andy, I'm sure a lot more would have been there if it hadn't be on Zitelli

:rotflmao::stirrer:

It's Malongas fault :wink:

Sir David Gray
23-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Not for me.

Games would still be played in April, even if we moved the season to include the summer months as you would probably be talking about a season that started in February and finished in November.

Scotland's climate means that we could quite easily experience extreme winter weather in November and February.

We also quite often get torrential rain in June and July and I would ask people to cast their minds back to a few of the matches we've played in those months in recent years - the Vetra Vilnius and Dinaburg Intertoto Cup matches and the Raith Rovers friendly automatically spring to mind.

I would also say that the winter months are depressing enough in Scotland, without there being no football to look forward to, particularly over the festive period.

Yes it was pleasant last night at Livingston but I wonder what people will be saying about this subject on Saturday after returning home from the Alloa match. By all accounts, we'll probably be soaked on Saturday and well wrapped up as the weather forecast is for heavy rain and highs of only 10 degrees.

Scotland does not have a reliable climate that allows anyone to say with any degree of certainty that a particular time of year will deliver a certain sort of weather.

marinello59
23-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Summer football should be part of the revolutionary change that our game needs. The thought of it does seem to upset the large number of conservatives amongst fitba supporters though. :greengrin

marinello59
23-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Scotland does not have a reliable climate that allows anyone to say with any degree of certainty that a particular time of year will deliver a certain sort of weather.

I will say with a large degree of certainty that Summer in Scotland is much more pleasant than Winter.

scuttle
23-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Thought the pitch was hard and fiery , you don't get as much time to bring the ball down as it bounces higher etc at this time of year therefore its not suitable for teams like ours that like to pass the ball. Pleasant for the spectator but not sure the players enjoy those sorts of surfaces

Andy74
23-04-2015, 08:25 AM
I will say with a large degree of certainty that Summer in Scotland is much more pleasant than Winter.

Can't argue with that but that means there are other things to do - as someone mentioned the weather is grim in the winter and there isn't too much else that you can keep amused with in the winter here, the football is what gets lots of people through from one week to the next.

Just get some warm clothes and its sorted.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Even switching to a start a few weeks earlier would help.

I've argued this point before. It would give our teams a few competitive games before the qualifying rounds of European competition. It would also fill a football void on Sky. They are desperate for football in late June/early July hence the overhyping of non competitive pre season tournaments. If Scotland had the offer of real football in June and July we might just have a product to sell.

green&left
23-04-2015, 08:40 AM

Like this coming Saturday?

People will goto the fitba if they want to go. Its just as easy for some to say to hell with standing on a cold terrace at Central Park in November as its baltic as to say to hell sitting in a daft fitba stadium when its scorching when I could be in the beer garden/at the beach/up the hills/on the bike/in the garden etc etc etc.

There will always be an excuse for folk who can't be arsed. And the weather will just be one of them...

Sir David Gray
23-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Can't argue with that but that means there are other things to do - as someone mentioned the weather is grim in the winter and there isn't too much else that you can keep amused with in the winter here, the football is what gets lots of people through from one week to the next.

Just get some warm clothes and its sorted.

It was me that said that as well but unfortunately only part of my post was quoted.

Cropley10
23-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Just as the grass starts to grow again properly and creates a really good surface for passing, football pitches around Scotland lie quiet.

Instead we ask children, amateurs and professionals to play at precisely the times when the weather and the pitches are least suited to playing football.

Scotland is, I think, the most northerly country in the world that doesn't play Summer football.

Sadly we have a governing body who simply don't have a clue, from the shambles of the national stadium, no sponsor for the league and a TV deal from Sky that is almost a pittance, so don't expect any changes any time soon.

Ozyhibby
23-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Kids football has already moved to the summer. We play indoor Futsal in the winter.

Ozyhibby
23-04-2015, 09:06 AM
I agree that Summer football would be great for the game.

Cropley10
23-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Kids football has already moved to the summer. We play indoor Futsal in the winter.

Youth football continues to have games postponed week after week in mid-winter due to unplayable pitches.

This then creates a huge fixture backlog around this time, as typically Youth football ends around mid May, even though all the players are still at school til the end of June.

So you have players available, great weather, perfect pitches and no football... you couldn't make it up.

Carheenlea
23-04-2015, 09:13 AM
A very pleasant evening indeed in shirt sleeves, but have enjoyed a few games like that this season. We start in July and finish in May so a decent chunk of season is played in the summer months anyway. Looking back, I had a real miserable time of it at Cowdenbeath in November, but can`t really recall any occasions that had me clamouring for summer football. Soaked to skin that day, but that can happen just the same in June.
Atmosphere is never as good either when everyone is relaxing in their seat enjoying the sun on balmy evenings.

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2015, 09:45 AM
A very pleasant evening indeed in shirt sleeves, but have enjoyed a few games like that this season. We start in July and finish in May so a decent chunk of season is played in the summer months anyway. Looking back, I had a real miserable time of it at Cowdenbeath in November, but can`t really recall any occasions that had me clamouring for summer football. Soaked to skin that day, but that can happen just the same in June.
Atmosphere is never as good either when everyone is relaxing in their seat enjoying the sun on balmy evenings.

Cowdenbeath in November and Alloa in February would still have happened if we changed to summer football.
My favourite games are under the floodlights, which can happen for a number of games in the winter. Always seems to generate a better atmosphere.

ManBearPig
23-04-2015, 11:53 AM
We should move youth footbAll no question in my book even with all weather pitches the number of call offs is inexcusable. I know kids go on holiday but kids also pick up numerous viruses in the winter months. It's a no brainier

KeithTheHibby
23-04-2015, 12:23 PM
They were too busy doing the garden...got to make use of the better weather and all that. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP I think we'll see a lot of change in the next 4 to 5 years in Scottish football with summer football being one of them.

Not with the twats in charge of our game as things stand. They can't get the basics right so what chance of them being innovative?

Haymaker
23-04-2015, 01:09 PM
We would start and end the season freezing and wet.

I fully agree that youth football should be played in summer as well but I strongly believe summer football would make no difference to professional mens football.

frazeHFC
23-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I hate how much this crops up.

I remember 2 Saturdays in a row last summer sat with my dad because our golf had been cancelled, because it was pishing down outside and thunder and lightning. He said to me "and people want summer football".

If summer football was introduced then I doubt any of my family would be buying season tickets. We are always away on holiday, doing stuff, golfing etc and it would be totally pointless having a season ticket when your missing a load of games. Looking forward to the football on a Saturday during the winter months keeps me going through the week cos there's not much else on at the weekends.

Geo_1875
23-04-2015, 01:29 PM
The only thing I can think of against summer football, and nobody else seems to have mentioned, is pitches are relaid or repaired during the late spring/early summer and have the benefit of a growing period. I imagine it would be difficult getting a grass pitch ready for the start of a season in February/March. It would work fine if we went all-weather but that would cause more arguments.

Hibee87
23-04-2015, 01:52 PM
There is arguments all valid imo for and against, what I want to know is what would happen every 2 years should a team (mainly celtic i would guess) have 3 players away on international duty? for 6 weeks or so potentially they would get to call the games off and that would cause a fixture congestion, they would moan about this before any vote to change was cast, and tyhey would get what they want

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Not for me, Summer is for golf IMO........

HibsMax
23-04-2015, 02:47 PM
I agree but surely you can play golf before or after the match? Away games will be trickier when you consider the travel plans but maybe you arrange to play on a course closer to the away ground? That way you get your golf fix and maybe even play on courses you don't normally play at.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I agree but surely you can play golf before or after the match? Away games will be trickier when you consider the travel plans but maybe you arrange to play on a course closer to the away ground? That way you get your golf fix and maybe even play on courses you don't normally play at.

No, football is a day thing for me, and wouldn't want to play golf before or after a match. (I don't drive)

Brightside
23-04-2015, 02:52 PM

What kids football has moved to summer? Essda certainly isnt.

frazeHFC
23-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Would work for some but too much of a mad rush for me, especially Saturday morning being medal day. No time for post round drinks or pre - match drinks. And that was a home game.

I can totally see benefits of summer football for a lot of people but definitely not for me.

Jay
23-04-2015, 02:55 PM
What kids football has moved to summer? Essda certainly isnt.

Pretty sure West Lothians soccer sevens switched to summer football a couple of years ago.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2015, 02:57 PM
No, football is a day thing for me, and wouldn't want to play golf before or after a match. (I don't drive)

Thought you said you drove over 250 yards?

I really fancy summer football, the other option we should have is earlier Ko's in November, Decenber and January, the game should be finished before its dark

HibsMax
23-04-2015, 02:59 PM
I hate how much this crops up.

I remember 2 Saturdays in a row last summer sat with my dad because our golf had been cancelled, because it was pishing down outside and thunder and lightning. He said to me "and people want summer football".

If summer football was introduced then I doubt any of my family would be buying season tickets. We are always away on holiday, doing stuff, golfing etc and it would be totally pointless having a season ticket when your missing a load of games. Looking forward to the football on a Saturday during the winter months keeps me going through the week cos there's not much else on at the weekends.

I understand that you get some dodgy weather in the summer months but those are anomalies. The weather during the winter is consistently worse than in the summer even though you do get some crappy days in the summer.

It's a very personal choice though and it's not likely that many people on opposite sides will change the others' opinions. It seems like people want to do other things like work in their garden or play golf. There's nothing wrong with that but life is full of compromises. There must be some skiers on the board, how do you balance your hobbies during the winter? Then there are people who, for whatever reason, want to take their holiday in the winter, or people who, because of their jobs, are busier over the winter. There's no one-size-fits-all, you can't keep everyone happy.

Personally I'm all for summer sports because, for me, it's just more enjoyable to be out in the fresh air and not freezing my nuts off.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Thought you said you drove over 250 yards?

I really fancy summer football, the other option we should have is earlier Ko's in November, Decenber and January, the game should be finished before its dark

Only downhill with wind behind:greengrin

HibsMax
23-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Fair enough, then that's your personal choice but you have to realise that it's your choice to spend the entire day on football when you could quite reasonably manage to do more. No matter how that sounds, I'm not having a go at you. Nobody is going to try to tell you how you should spend your time. I'm just saying it's all about personal choices.

California-Hibs
23-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Even switching to a start a few weeks earlier would help.

I've argued this point before. It would give our teams a few competitive games before the qualifying rounds of European competition. It would also fill a football void on Sky. They are desperate for football in late June/early July hence the overhyping of non competitive pre season tournaments. If Scotland had the offer of real football in June and July we might just have a product to sell.

You actually make a really good point here.

Shearer
23-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Summer football would be fantastic for scottish football, but obviously the dinosaurs in charge would never make it happen and of course some fans who are scared of change, despite it being the obvious common sense choice

Bishop Hibee
23-04-2015, 03:34 PM
As I've said on the umpteen threads on this topic, I'd stop getting a season ticket due to games missed for holidays etc. Also July is the wettest month in Scotland with an average temperature of 18C. Hardly scorchio and we've had friendlies postponed and European games played in ridiculous conditions in the past few years.

No thanks.

erin go bragh
23-04-2015, 04:19 PM
As I've said on the umpteen threads on this topic, I'd stop getting a season ticket due to games missed for holidays etc. Also July is the wettest month in Scotland with an average temperature of 18C. Hardly scorchio and we've had friendlies postponed and European games played in ridiculous conditions in the past few years.

No thanks.
Id rather watch the football with some summer rain , than freezing my balls off in the winter . July imo is no way our wettest month out of the whole year .

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
23-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Id rather watch the football with some summer rain , than freezing my balls off in the winter . July imo is no way our wettest month out of the whole year .

GGTTH

In Scotland as a whole I can quite believe July is the wettest month. The summer rain on the west coast and in the western highlands can be a sight to behold due to the high humidity. On the east coast and much of the central belt probably not so much.

LaMotta
23-04-2015, 04:48 PM

GGTTH

Wettest Months of the Year since 2007 in South Central Scotland, according to the Met Office:

2007 - January
2008 - October
2009 - November
2010 - July
2011 - February
2012 - June
2013 - December
2014 - October

Conclusion - it rains in Scotland all the time :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
23-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Wettest Months of the Year since 2007 in South Central Scotland, according to the Met Office:

2007 - January
2008 - October
2009 - November
2010 - July
2011 - February
2012 - June
2013 - December
2014 - October

Conclusion - it rains in Scotland all the time :greengrin

That is the answer. Move our league to another country where we can play games in the winter but with summer weather.

Lanzarote anyone?

cabbageandribs1875
23-04-2015, 05:32 PM
summer fitbaw yes please :) wait until you young yins get older and thinner skins...you wont fancy sitting in freezing cauld stadia either :agree: think our friday night game v murrawell at fir park 2/3 seasons ago was the coldest i've ever been at a game, shivered throughout :(

greenlex
23-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Not for me

ancient hibee
23-04-2015, 06:43 PM
If SKY and BT come up with a big enough deal it'll happen.If not it won't.

OsloHibs
23-04-2015, 07:28 PM
As I now live in a country that has summer football, it totally gets the thumbs up from me.

Geo_1875
23-04-2015, 07:35 PM

You could always arrange time off work to play golf on non-football days.

macca70
23-04-2015, 07:37 PM
As a spectator, I like the sound of summer football but having played 5's outside tonight after work, it was roasting and much tougher than cooler conditions.

I know they are professional athletes but I think some would struggle training and playing on hot days.

We could just sign a team of Brazilians though.

Swedish hibee
23-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Absolutely it's the way to go!

MyJo
23-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Summer football is one thing i would like to see as part of a bigger restructure of scottish football in general.

Restructure the leagues to 16 team leagues in prem and championship - 30 game seasons running from February to October.

Restructure League cup to be a champions league style tournament between the 32 teams in the top two leagues and play the group stages of the tournament during June/July when the world cup etc would normally be staged (i would also make this tournament restricted to players under the age of 23 with 2 or 3 overage players allowed per team to encourage youth development)

Hibby Bairn
23-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Summer football is one thing i would like to see as part of a bigger restructure of scottish football in general.

Restructure the leagues to 16 team leagues in prem and championship - 30 game seasons running from February to October.

Restructure League cup to be a champions league style tournament between the 32 teams in the top two leagues and play the group stages of the tournament during June/July when the world cup etc would normally be staged (i would also make this tournament restricted to players under the age of 23 with 2 or 3 overage players allowed per team to encourage youth development)

I would go and watch all of that.

frazeHFC
23-04-2015, 09:18 PM
You could always arrange time off work to play golf on non-football days.

Mens competitions are almost always Saturdays. I wouldn't give up that social side of my life that I've always loved to watch football.

majorhibs
23-04-2015, 09:48 PM
If SKY and BT come up with a big enough deal it'll happen.If not it won't.

Exactumundo! But we need someone better than the current clowns to negotiate what would be our one & only chance to compete with the wages they will be splashing in engerloid.

Absolutely it's the way to go!

Mens competitions are almost always Saturdays. I wouldn't give up that social side of my life that I've always loved to watch football.

Ciao! Whats best for your social life & golf is not whats more important than Scottish Football & Hibs.

frazeHFC
23-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Ciao! Whats best for your social life & golf is not whats more important than Scottish Football & Hibs.

:rolleyes:.....If you read my posts I'm not saying it's completely the wrong thing to do, I'm just saying that personally I don't want it to happen.

PatHead
24-04-2015, 09:34 PM
In favour of it myself. Think it will be done before Qatar World Cup.

DH1875
25-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Don't know what the weather is like in the east but its P'ing down here in the west and its freezing. Very, very different to Wednesday night. Summer football? Its a no for me.

DH1875
27-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Its just started to snow lol. Summer football :)

southsider
27-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Will be a balmy, almost tropical, 14 degrees in Falkirk on Saturday. Bring it on.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Will be a balmy, almost tropical, 14 degrees in Falkirk on Saturday. Bring it on.

I take it that's just wishful thinking on your part.

According to the BBC forecast, it's to be 9 degrees in Falkirk on Saturday.