PDA

View Full Version : Handling & Stanton

Unseen work
22-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Would personally like to see these 2 guys get more game time, tonight was the perfect chance IMO when we were well on top and livi looked a threat.

Would want them keeping there first team match fitness and confidence up. Both really good midfielders who are just unlucky we have a cracking midfield at the moment. Them getting a chance from the bench however would stiffen the competition

Hibby Bairn
22-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Totally agree.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Stanton started against QoS and was abysmal.

JimBHibees
22-04-2015, 09:39 PM
I think they need to earn it was disappointed in Sam in recent QOS game for example.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Think Danny would have been perfect tonight, big space between our midfield and forwards with Allan being out.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Think Danny would have been perfect tonight, big space between our midfield and forwards with Allan being out.

Handling seems to be well out the picture at the moment.

Was quite keen for Stanton to get a chance but he never really did enough in the two starts he got.

Smartie
22-04-2015, 09:49 PM
I was happy enough to see Malonga, Dje-Dje and Craig get a decent run but to be honest it would have been nice to make about 6 subs tonight.

Malonga did well, the other two didn't do so well.

Billychaotic182
22-04-2015, 09:50 PM
I was happy enough to see Malonga, Dje-Dje and Craig get a decent run but to be honest it would have been nice to make about 6 subs tonight.

Malonga did well, the other two didn't do so well.

I'm not a fan of Craig but he had no time tonight to make an impact.

lord bunberry
22-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Stanton will come good, I would say he's the best youngster we've had for a while

Unseen work
22-04-2015, 09:54 PM
That is my point about putting them on late in games when we are comfortable, when Stanton played poorly IMO it was because he has barely kicked a ball for the first team in a while, happens a lot with players being frozen out with no confidence then all of a sudden they are starting

superfurryhibby
22-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Stanton will come good, I would say he's the best youngster we've had for a while

He' needs to show it. Disappointing season for him and no real signs that he is close to a regular start.

lord bunberry
22-04-2015, 10:05 PM
He' needs to show it. Disappointing season for him and no real signs that he is close to a regular start.

Its difficult for these young guys when they're not getting a run in the team. At the start of the season when Stanton was playing he was played out of position which didn't help him.

bookert
22-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Stanton started against QoS and was abysmal.
Opinions eh, I thought he was decent and in no way the worst

GreenArmyyy!
22-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Would have preferred Stanton to come on tonight to Craig. A lot more to offer going forward.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Would have preferred Stanton to come on tonight to Craig. A lot more to offer going forward.Craig just helps close out the 3 points which is the main thing at that point.

monktonharp
23-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Stanton, he's for next season and if he cant do it then, well , he's had the chance.

superfurryhibby
23-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Its difficult for these young guys when they're not getting a run in the team. At the start of the season when Stanton was playing he was played out of position which didn't help him.

The battle for a place starts at training. I wonder if he plays centre mid in practice games?

FWIW, I think Stanton has a better chance than Handling. Both have been peripheral this season and like some others say, it's time they made an impact , otherwise they'll be gone. Next season is the one that will decide.

DH1875
23-04-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm not overly keen on either of them to be honest. Wouldn't bother me if neither of them are here next season (although both of them will)

calumhibee1
23-04-2015, 09:15 AM
I'm not overly keen on either of them to be honest. Wouldn't bother me if neither of them are here next season (although both of them will)

Likewise. I liked the look of Stanton towards the end of last season but he's offered nothing for a full season playing at a level we shouldn't be playing at. He should have been strolling this league and I'd suggest the fact he hasn't shows he's not going to be good enough, although I'm not sure how much that is to do with him physically. I seen him in the pool at the gym and he doesnt have any muscle at all. Compare that with people like Cummings and Forster of a similar age and you can see why he's fell behind.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2015, 09:20 AM
I think both Handling and Stanton will look very different next year.

The plan is certainly to develop their upper body strength but that has proved challenging due to also having to keep them ready to play football weekly. Both look very slight at the moment, especially Sam, but I think next season will see them more physically prepared for the demands of either this league or the Premiership.

Ozyhibby
23-04-2015, 09:22 AM
They are both too soft. There is no aggression about either of them. I've never seen either of them really mix it in any game.

J-C
23-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately players progress can level out, they have a potential but they might never reach that, look at the many young players who have come through the system and just how many have made the grade at the top level. These 2 lads should be making Stubbs job harder by forcing their way into his plans but they have not, a few glimpses in a few games is not enough at this stage in their career, they're not young lads any more and has been said need to be stronger and more dominant, just look at the lad Armstrong at Celtic, similar age but so far ahead of both.

bingo70
23-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Would personally like to see these 2 guys get more game time, tonight was the perfect chance IMO when we were well on top and livi looked a threat.

Would want them keeping there first team match fitness and confidence up. Both really good midfielders who are just unlucky we have a cracking midfield at the moment. Them getting a chance from the bench however would stiffen the competition

Stubbs obviously has something against handling ;-)

Now it appears Stubbs agrees with me can I say u told you so yet?

I'm only joking, I've never rated handling though but I hoped he'd come good and prove me wrong, he's certainly not done that this season though abd against such poor teams questions have got to be asked if he's likely to make it at a higher level than this.

I still can't get my head round his 4 year deal? Completely unnecessary, hope there's a get out clause tbh.

muzzando
23-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Stubbs obviously has something against handling ;-)

Now it appears Stubbs agrees with me can I say u told you so yet?

I'm only joking, I've never rated handling though but I hoped he'd come good and prove me wrong, he's certainly not done that this season though abd against such poor teams questions have got to be asked if he's likely to make it at a higher level than this.

I still can't get my head round his 4 year deal? Completely unnecessary, hope there's a get out clause tbh.

Same here, he must have a really good agent

Fergus52
23-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Same here, he must have a really good agent

Or Stubbs, who clearly has an eye for a player and has more experience in the game than anyone on here, thinks he's got something.

bingo70
23-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Or Stubbs, who clearly has an eye for a player and has more experience in the game than anyone on here, thinks he's got something.

Apparently not or he'd be getting more game time.

GreenArmy1875
23-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Think both could do with going out on loan next season as central midfielders. Handling plays that role very well at under 20s and I understand its a big step up.

Hannah_hfc
23-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Or we have better players in McGeough, Fyvie, Allan and Robertson hence making it difficult to fit Stanton and Handling in the team as anything more than back up?

If any of the 4 I have listed were sitting on the bench for long periods of time there would be outroar on here...

Andy74
23-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Or we have better players in McGeough, Fyvie, Allan and Robertson hence making it difficult to fit Stanton and Handling in the team as anything more than back up?

If any of the 4 I have listed were sitting on the bench for long periods of time there would be outroar on here...

We had to bring these guys in for a reason. Stanton and Handling aren't near good enough at the moment. They might be in the future but I don't really see it with any of them.

For me they sum up what's been wrong with us - we produce players that might be technically okay, have some flashes of great ability some times but are too soft phyisically and mentally.

Fair play to Hearts on that front, their young teams don't seem to achieve much but almost each and every one of their players are ready to come in and look like they belong to play in the first team right away.

I noticed during the chat about James Mcdonagh maybe moving on then eventually doing so that our youth team almost has a following of its own that like to see it play nice football and get good results. Sorry, but that is not whjat it is there for and it has failed miserably for a number of years now.

PercyHibs
23-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I think both have been given a chance this season and neither are good enough at the moment, especially stanton. I agree they both should have more time from the bench but now is not the time. Games are too important.

Stuarty27
23-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I think Stanton has looked decent when coming off the bench, the problem is when he has started he hasn't took his chance, Falkirjk and Raith away are prime examples

Fergus52
24-04-2015, 02:29 PM

A 21 year old in a squad which has large amount of central midfielders and 4 strikers? I'm not so sure.

the 4 year deal and everything Stubbs has ever said about him in interviews suggests otherwise.

Bishop Hibee
24-04-2015, 03:22 PM
No room for them in the starting XI at the moment. It's a huge close season for both these players as if they fail to establish themselves in the first team they will be on there way.

Brightside
24-04-2015, 03:54 PM

Stop it. The lad is a growing talent. Believe me he'll be in that team next season.

B.H.F.C
24-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Stop it. The lad is a growing talent. Believe me he'll be in that team next season.

He can't have grown very much in the last 3 months having barely kicked a ball.

Brightside
24-04-2015, 04:18 PM
He can't have grown very much in the last 3 months having barely kicked a ball.

He's training with the full squad, he's playing in dev games. Stubbs see's him as one for next season. Its costing us buttons at the moment so i dont get the anti-mob tbh going on about a 4yr deal.

B.H.F.C
24-04-2015, 04:47 PM
He's training with the full squad, he's playing in dev games. Stubbs see's him as one for next season. Its costing us buttons at the moment so i dont get the anti-mob tbh going on about a 4yr deal.

That's kind of my point. At his age how much is he going to be improving playing in development games and training? It's a hell of a jump from the development team to the first team.

Brightside
24-04-2015, 05:21 PM
That's kind of my point. At his age how much is he going to be improving playing in development games and training? It's a hell of a jump from the development team to the first team.

I dont think he's under performed when he's played in the first team. tbh he is unfortunate that we have a very strong midfield at the moment. Difficult to drop any of the normal 4. My view is that Danny will end up taking Robertsons place over the course of the next year or two. Succession planning.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2015, 05:28 PM
What I've just realised is that we gave 7 central midfielders competing for a place. A bit odd really. Centre-mid out, wingers in.

bingo70
24-04-2015, 05:49 PM
A 21 year old in a squad which has large amount of central midfielders and 4 strikers? I'm not so sure.

the 4 year deal and everything Stubbs has ever said about him in interviews suggests otherwise.

21 is not that young for a footballer. If he was going to be any good he'd have made more of an impact by now.

Eyrie
24-04-2015, 06:15 PM
If Handling and Stanton were that good, then they'd have been key players for the first team in this division and we wouldn't have needed to sign Fyvie. Instead we did and he walked straight into the team.

I've never been convinced about Handling and I'm concerned that Stanton isn't doing well enough when he gets a chance.

Fergus52
24-04-2015, 06:40 PM
21 is not that young for a footballer. If he was going to be any good he'd have made more of an impact by now.

well I'm gonna trust Stubbs on this.

I guess we'll see who's right in a couple of years.

I still think he'll be a big player for us, Drogba was struggling in the French second tier at the age of 23.

bingo70
24-04-2015, 06:51 PM
well I'm gonna trust Stubbs on this.

I guess we'll see who's right in a couple of years.

I still think he'll be a big player for us, Drogba was struggling in the French second tier at the age of 23.

I'm going to trust Stubbs as well and agree it's the right decision not to play him.

Stubbs was barely in the door when he got a 4 year deal, I'm not convinced it wasn't on the recommendation of someone else.

Brightside
24-04-2015, 06:52 PM
If Handling and Stanton were that good, then they'd have been key players for the first team in this division and we wouldn't have needed to sign Fyvie. Instead we did and he walked straight into the team.

I've never been convinced about Handling and I'm concerned that Stanton isn't doing well enough when he gets a chance.

Had he not went out and got Fyvie, Allan, Dylan....then yes ofcourse Handling would be playing. But those 3 players are good enough for most Prem teams tbh.

Brightside
24-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm going to trust Stubbs as well and agree it's the right decision not to play him.

Stubbs was barely in the door when he got a 4 year deal, I'm not convinced it wasn't on the recommendation of someone else.

Now you are really being silly. He hasnt decided not to play him...if he didnt like the player he wouldnt be in the squad!! Just for you I'll find out exactly what Subbs thinks about the player. But i can assure you he'd have at least been away on loan right now if he didnt want him in the squad.

Fergus52
24-04-2015, 06:59 PM

I can't be bothered digging it up, but right after he signed it Stubbs gave an interview where he spoke about how impressed he was by him and how he had a big future etc...

Stubbs rates him highly.

BoomtownHibees
24-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Now you are really being silly. He hasnt decided not to play him...if he didnt like the player he wouldnt be in the squad!! Just for you I'll find out exactly what Subbs thinks about the player. But i can assure you he'd have at least been away on loan right now if he didnt want him in the squad.

What do you mean by "he hasn't decided not to play him?"

Clearly he has

tamig
24-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Likewise. I liked the look of Stanton towards the end of last season but he's offered nothing for a full season playing at a level we shouldn't be playing at. He should have been strolling this league and I'd suggest the fact he hasn't shows he's not going to be good enough, although I'm not sure how much that is to do with him physically. I seen him in the pool at the gym and he doesnt have any muscle at all. Compare that with people like Cummings and Forster of a similar age and you can see why he's fell behind.
I've thought for a long time that Sam should be spending a bit more time with the fitness gurus and try to put on a bit more muscle. He's a gifted player but is too easily brushed aside for my liking. A summer in the gym would do him no harm at all.

Eyrie
24-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Had he not went out and got Fyvie, Allan, Dylan....then yes ofcourse Handling would be playing. But those 3 players are good enough for most Prem teams tbh.

And if Handling or Stanton were as good as their defenders on here think then we wouldn't have needed Fyvie in January. Instead we'd have two talented kids gaining valuable first team experience whilst playing a key role in our promotion push.

I want to see more from them when they do get off the bench, and they're not even managing that at the moment.

Unseen work
24-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Imo next season I expect to see a bulkier looking Danny handling who will play a lot deeper in the midfield. He has impressed there for hibs and Scotland but atm would be a risk starting him there in the business end of the season. He will continue to learn the role and play there pre season I think

J-C
25-04-2015, 12:15 AM
We have a premiership midfield and these two lads are still way behind in their development. McDonaugh for all his good coaching at ER made a few errors and one of them was not getting these very good youngsters up to speed and ready to play 1st team football. Hearts have been doing it for the past 2-3 years, with this season showing the benefit of getting U20 players bulked up and ready to move up to the big boys game, Handling and Stanton still look like young laddies, so lets hope after the close season they are ready to fight for their spot in next seasons team.

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Both got on today, good to see that a stack of homegrown players played today,
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson
Cummings
Handling
Stanton
Martin

Crammond Hibee
25-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Both got on today, good to see that a stack of homegrown players played today,
Forster
Hanlon
Stevenson
Cummings
Handling
Stanton
Martin
Is Cummings a homegrown player ?

Billy Whizz
25-04-2015, 06:19 PM

Why not, came through our development team

Andy74
25-04-2015, 06:20 PM

He played for our under 19s so yes.

Winston Ingram
25-04-2015, 06:24 PM
We have a premiership midfield and these two lads are still way behind in their development. McDonaugh for all his good coaching at ER made a few errors and one of them was not getting these very good youngsters up to speed and ready to play 1st team football. Hearts have been doing it for the past 2-3 years, with this season showing the benefit of getting U20 players bulked up and ready to move up to the big boys game, Handling and Stanton still look like young laddies, so lets hope after the close season they are ready to fight for their spot in next seasons team.

How would you suggest he got them 'up to speed'?

Hearts did it last year because they had no other choice and they were all gantin until the last few games. That 1st team experience and dropping down a level has helped them no end. Before that I'm struggling to see who else they've brought through in the last 2/3 yrs

Winston Ingram
25-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Imo next season I expect to see a bulkier looking Danny handling who will play a lot deeper in the midfield. He has impressed there for hibs and Scotland but atm would be a risk starting him there in the business end of the season. He will continue to learn the role and play there pre season I think

I see him as a deeper lying midfielder. He struggles to get on the ball higher up the pitch, though saying that he was very involved when he came on today.

bingo70
25-04-2015, 06:29 PM
I see him as a deeper lying midfielder. He struggles to get on the ball higher up the pitch, though saying that he was very involved when he came on today.

I thought he did alright when he came on today Tbf. Nothing special but as you say, got involved and that's not something you can always say about him.

Hibby Bairn
25-04-2015, 06:29 PM
He played for our under 19s so yes.

Possibly stretching the term "homegrown" a bit.

Fergus52
25-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Possibly stretching the term "homegrown" a bit.

I've heard hearts fans try to claim him as their youth product.

bit rich when it was them who punted him.

J-C
26-04-2015, 06:48 AM
How would you suggest he got them 'up to speed'?

Hearts did it last year because they had no other choice and they were all gantin until the last few games. That 1st team experience and dropping down a level has helped them no end. Before that I'm struggling to see who else they've brought through in the last 2/3 yrs

If McDonaugh was so good, why then was he not kept on in a higher position and not offered a lesser one instead. It was a big failing by him not having these lads ready to step up, even now Stanton still looks scrawny and slight, hopefully Stubbs new fitness coaches will make a difference in the future.