PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Hibeesmad
21-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Heard a rumour going about that Inverness and St Johnstone are interested in him.

Any news on a potential new deal?

Michael
21-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I was under the impression he was to be offered a new deal by us. Football has a habit of being rather unpredictable though.

Hibeesmad
21-04-2015, 10:22 PM
I was under the impression he was to be offered a new deal by us. Football has a habit of being rather unpredictable though.

I'm sure if he was offered a deal he would stay, just got told these clubs have been keeping an eye on him recently- John Hughes apparently really likes him and has been to one or two games to watch him, could make sense with Graeme Shinnie leaving.

snooky
21-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm sure if he was offered a deal he would stay, just got told these clubs have been keeping an eye on him recently- John Hughes apparently really likes him and has been to one or two games to watch him, could make sense with Graeme Shinnie leaving.

Actually, much as I like Lewis, I think a move at this time in his career would do him the world of good.
If he goes, it will be with my regrets but more so with my blessing.

keep the faith
21-04-2015, 10:29 PM
He deserves his testimonial next year. Would hate to see him leave now.

Stantons Angel
21-04-2015, 11:13 PM
He deserves his testimonial next year. Would hate to see him leave now.

I dont think Lewis has any thoughts of leaving Hibs and IMO will be offered a new contract along with a Testimonial Season. He has a young family and i cant see him uprooting them and changing places to stay?

Its strange that John Hughes seems interested in him as he didnt play him much at all when he was manager so i wonder what has changed his mind?

I just hope he stays and puts his pen to paper soon. I think it is just a case of seeing which league we are going to start in next season in respect of money.?

jacomo
22-04-2015, 12:13 AM
I dont think Lewis has any thoughts of leaving Hibs and IMO will be offered a new contract along with a Testimonial Season. He has a young family and i cant see him uprooting them and changing places to stay?

Its strange that John Hughes seems interested in him as he didnt play him much at all when he was manager so i wonder what has changed his mind?

I just hope he stays and puts his pen to paper soon. I think it is just a case of seeing which league we are going to start in next season in respect of money.?

Exactly, and why would Yogi need to come watch him? He's already managed the player, surely he knows all about the guy (who he didn't rate when he was here). Baffling.

Lewis must stay!

frazeHFC
22-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Exactly, and why would Yogi need to come watch him? He's already managed the player, surely he knows all about the guy (who he didn't rate when he was here). Baffling.

Lewis must stay!

It has been a while since Yogi was here, and Stevenson's form throughout the season has been great, maybe noticed his improvement. Kind of like Matic, Pique where they left their clubs for cheap only to be re-signed for millions a few years later when they impressed.

flash
22-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Depends if we get up. He is fine in this division but difficult to believe he will suddenly become good enough for the top league if we get up.

An unfashionable opinion I know but that's my take on it.

Jdawg
22-04-2015, 07:03 AM
Depends if we get up. He is fine in this division but difficult to believe he will suddenly become good enough for the top league if we get up.

I pretty much agree with this. Lewis had been very good this year but has generally been playing against poor players, which includes part time teams.

Nothing against him whatsoever but I would like to see a more attacking full back who can go at a full back rather than check back and pass inside. His deliver is good at times as well though.

A player similar to Shinnie at Inverness would be ideal or a carbon copy of David Gray

Hibernian Verse
22-04-2015, 07:07 AM
I pretty much agree with this. Lewis had been very good this year but has generally been playing against poor players, which includes part time teams.

Nothing against him whatsoever but I would like to see a more attacking full back who can go at a full back rather than check back and pass inside. His deliver is good at times as well though.

A player similar to Shinnie at Inverness would be ideal or a carbon copy of David Gray

A very odd post considering Stevenson has been hitting the by line all season?

J-C
22-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Lewis has had a very good season and is one of top assists in the team, his form has dipped the past 2-3 weeks and I'm hoping it's not because he's not been offered a new deal, he has great energy and fitness but still needs to work on his final ball.

Bishop Hibee
22-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Agree. Squad player if we go up and he stays. Stubbs will look for a new left back regardless as we at least need competition in that area.

keep the faith
22-04-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm always aware that McCall has been very vocal about trying to sign Lewis for Motherwell in the past.
IMO there will be a good number of teams who will want to sign him so I hope we sort something out to keep him here.

Scottie
22-04-2015, 07:22 AM
I'm always aware that McCall has been very vocal about trying to sign Lewis for Motherwell in the past.
IMO there will be a good number of teams who will want to sign him so I hope we sort something out to keep him here.
That would be heartbreaking seeing him in a Hun top next year. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2015, 07:38 AM

He said it once as a passing comment. Unless they're getting rid of Wallace why would they even bother?

bingo70
22-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Has he? I don't remember ever reading anything about that?

As one of his biggest critics in the past I think it's a bit unfair to put this season down to playing against poor players. He can only play against who he comes up against so not sure what more he could do to prove his worth.

What I would say though is that I think wing back is his position and I'm not sure it's a great formation for us to be playing, we're exposed defensively when wing backs go up and we lack natural width when we rely on full backs to get up the park so much. I also think we've asked too much of him and gray this year and that's why they're both struggling for fitness and form now.

We shouldn't have let booth go imo, Stevenson could do with a rest just now but there's no other option there.

MSK
22-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Has he? I don't remember ever reading anything about that?

As one of his biggest critics in the past I think it's a bit unfair to put this season down to playing against poor players. He can only play against who he comes up against so not sure what more he could do to prove his worth.

What I would say though is that I think wing back is his position and I'm not sure it's a great formation for us to be playing, we're exposed defensively when wing backs go up and we lack natural width when we rely on full backs to get up the park so much. I also think we've asked too much of him and gray this year and that's why they're both struggling for fitness and form now.

We shouldn't have let booth go imo, Stevenson could do with a rest just now but there's no other option there.McCall mentioned something about admiring Stevenson & would have liked to have had him at Motherwell, whilst he was doing commentary/punditry on a live match a wee while back ..cant remember the exact words but it was along those lines ..:agree:

lyonhibs
22-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Is "Lewis Stevenson" the most common thread title in the history of .net??

FWIW, I think as part of the first team squad LS should be offered a new contract ASAP. Proven his abilities given the regular backing of a competent manager, a combination he hasn't has since <insert some time in the distant past>

Starting XI in the SPL, I'm not so sure but definitely file under "Keep" for me :agree:

Hibeewilly
22-04-2015, 08:13 AM

That's how I see it

Hamish
22-04-2015, 08:45 AM
If the rumour about the lad Holt at Queens is true that may be why Lewis's future is being raised.

Stantons Angel
22-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Agree. Squad player if we go up and he stays. Stubbs will look for a new left back regardless as we at least need competition in that area.

Why when the season's most important games are ahead of us are you all discussing this? It was bad enough last season when most of you slated the boy all ways and every way. His confidence was at rock bottom and the continual barracking of him served no end!

Sure he has been playing against lesser talented players, no disrespect to them, but so has Allan, Cummings and the rest. There are many of our first team up for new contracts and yes maybe other clubs will look at a few of our better players. BUT now we are fighting for out future in the top league we cannot afford to off load another load of negativity on Lewis or anyone else.

Your comments may hang over him during this time and may make him feel insecure as to his future.

Come on guys less of this negativity towards any of our players just now, i for one had enough of it for the last few seasons! Lets get behind them now and push them on to the playoffs and the premier league.

Lewis and the others need you there beside them being positive!!!

JimBHibees
22-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Agree with that were we not linked with the ex Dundee United left back Barry Douglas in January. According to his wiki page his contract runs out end of next month.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Got a cracking young left full back, wingback in the development team. Hibs have high hopes for Calum Crane. Hope he gets more game time next season

flash
22-04-2015, 09:01 AM
It's a fans forum that's what people do. I don't see any vitriol merely a conversation.

Brightside
22-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Got a cracking young left full back, wingback in the development team. Hibs have high hopes for Calum Crane. Hope he gets more game time next season

Indeed - and some are saying we should have kept Booth? He's hardly improved for moving to Thistle.

snooky
22-04-2015, 09:52 AM
That would be heartbreaking seeing him in a Hun top next year. :rolleyes:

Aye, but still not as bad as seeing Sparky in hoops.

Scottie
22-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Aye, but still not as bad as seeing Sparky in hoops.
Aye your right Snooky.

People keep telling us he's a die in the wool Hibby but I ask would you kiss the Sellick badge to pander to their pathetic support ? :confused: I'd know I wouldn't but that's another thread for another day. :wink:

southfieldhibby
22-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Deep admiration for Lewis, the way he's stuck at Hibs thru how many managers and players? Never hides, plays all positions asked of him and contributes pretty well to the team.He comes across as a decent human aswell, which is probably the most important aspect.

All that said, I think he's found his level in this league and if Hibs are promoted, I'd hope we'd be looking to upgrade left back.He gets himself into great positions to supply crosses, but I get frustrated at the number of times he fails to miss the 1st defender.I hope he stays at Hibs and I'd happily contribute to his testimonial fund, but we need better players if promoted.

WeeRussell
22-04-2015, 11:22 AM

Lewis must stay!

Baffling that a manager wants to go and watch an improving player that may fit his signing requirements, rather than rely on what he seen over 5 years ago?

silverhibee
22-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Lewis has had a very good season and is one of top assists in the team, his form has dipped the past 2-3 weeks and I'm hoping it's not because he's not been offered a new deal, he has great energy and fitness but still needs to work on his final ball.

How many assists does he have for the season bud.

The Sundance Kid
22-04-2015, 11:42 AM
How many assists does he have for the season bud.

He has 8 assists so far this season

TowerHibs
22-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Won't realise what we've got until he's gone.

Some people think we just pick up brilliant players no matter what........strange. only let him go if we have better already in

silverhibee
22-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Why when the season's most important games are ahead of us are you all discussing this? It was bad enough last season when most of you slated the boy all ways and every way. His confidence was at rock bottom and the continual barracking of him served no end!

Sure he has been playing against lesser talented players, no disrespect to them, but so has Allan, Cummings and the rest. There are many of our first team up for new contracts and yes maybe other clubs will look at a few of our better players. BUT now we are fighting for out future in the top league we cannot afford to off load another load of negativity on Lewis or anyone else.

Your comments may hang over him during this time and may make him feel insecure as to his future.

Come on guys less of this negativity towards any of our players just now, i for one had enough of it for the last few seasons! Lets get behind them now and push them on to the playoffs and the premier league.

Lewis and the others need you there beside them being positive!!!

Sorry, but got to say but this post made me giggle, you really think Lewis will read this and feel all insecure and play bad football, he is a man, and if he reads this or any other posts they will have no baring on how positive/negative he feels about his football, any player who reads MBs will not care what is being said about them, they have made it, we are just fans who wish we had made it and basically no f all about what a football player does in there job, just like they would no f all about about being a joiner or whatever, he can comment but ask him to build something and he wouldn't have a clue, just like if we went down and trained with Hibs for a week we would be lost, it ain't all about just kicking a ball.

Great lad so he is though, don't be worrying about him though, just enjoy his time at Hibs.

silverhibee
22-04-2015, 11:55 AM
I doubt Lewis will be here next season.

silverhibee
22-04-2015, 12:00 PM
He has 8 assists so far this season

Cheers.

Smartie
22-04-2015, 12:06 PM
If pelters on hibs.net affected Lewis' attitude and application then he'd have left the club about 8 years ago. Not that that is a reason to give him any more….

His ability to rise above abuse and continue to give 100% is one of his greatest assets - and as a player he has many assets. Imo this has been rewarded this season with his goals/ announcements at ER getting an particularly good reception from those who rightly acknowledge his huge contribution to our club.

I put him firmly in the "we'll only truly appreciate him when he's gone" role, and in about 10- 15 years he'll be hugely appreciated, probably because we'll go a decade or so without adequately replacing him - the "Graham Mitchell effect" as it is sometimes known.

For some strange reason I can't see him still being here next season either. And I think that that will be to our massive detriment, although he would go with my blessing and best wishes.

bingo70
22-04-2015, 12:06 PM
I doubt Lewis will be here next season.

I'm ok with that.

I'd rather we played with conventional defensive full backs with wingers in front of them instead of wing backs having to do it all.

He's done well this season though, hope it's to a good club he gets a move to.

Geo_1875
22-04-2015, 01:02 PM

And playing WITH better players.

Lewis is good enough for Hibs wherever they're playing next season.

Remember that guy Rankin who wasn't Hibs class? Wonder were he ended up.

scoopyboy
22-04-2015, 01:14 PM
A very odd post considering Stevenson has been hitting the by line all season?

I reckon Lewis has had a good season but I cannot agree with your comment.

He hardly ever gets to the bye line and tends to deliver them from the level with the edge of the 18 yard box.

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2015, 02:43 PM

He hardly ever gets to the bye line and tends to deliver them from the level with the edge of the 18 yard box.

:agree: and the quality of the delivery could be better.

Can't fault his work rate though.

CallumLaidlaw
22-04-2015, 02:46 PM

:agree:

I am a HUGE fan of Lewis. His work rate is superb, he has a good first touch, and a really good football brain. He has assisted a fair few this season, but in general his final ball is fairly poor. Too many go straight along the ground.

OsloHibs
22-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Here we go again, siiiiiiiiigh.... Lewis has not had a slating in a long time on here :rolleyes:

MSK
22-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Here we go again, siiiiiiiiigh.... Lewis has not had a slating in a long time on here :rolleyes:Unless Ive missed the posts ...where has he been slated ?

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Every player should be looking over their shoulder, every position can be improved on not only Stevensons.

Shrekko
22-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Unless Ive missed the posts ...where has he been slated ?

He hasn't been.

There is a bizarre insistence by some that he's constantly being slated when he's clearly not. He's been Player of the Year at least twice in the past few years yet they still claim he's being barracked. He's in actual fact surely one of the fans favourites? As I say, it's bizarre but I'm sure LS knows he's appreciated by the support. A very good servant to the club and I'd be amazed if he wasn't here next year- you'd certainly hope so!

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2015, 08:21 AM
He hasn't been.

There is a bizarre insistence by some that he's constantly being slated when he's clearly not. He's been Player of the Year at least twice in the past few years yet they still claim he's being barracked. He's in actual fact surely one of the fans favourites? As I say, it's bizarre but I'm sure LS knows he's appreciated by the support. A very good servant to the club and I'd be amazed if he wasn't here next year- you'd certainly hope so!

:agree: There's a difference between slating a player and acknowledging his weaknesses. If Lewis was the perfect all round player, he'd be playing at a higher level than us. Lewis is appreciated for the work he puts in. His improvement in performance level has been great this year. He's maybe dipped slightly in the last few weeks but over all he's done great.