PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: FOODBANK COLLECTION THIS SATURDAY

RSS Bot
20-04-2015, 11:30 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5365)

PatHead
20-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Well done Hibs.

Shame in this day and age we need to do this.

Leithenhibby
20-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Well done Hibs.

Shame in this day and age we need to do this.

:agree:

Nice gesture from the people involved. Big well done :aok:

monktonharp
20-04-2015, 10:56 PM
hopefully all who can, will make the effort. lots of people in our our area are virtually on the bread line, or below! make the effort and help our own, because no one else will!

PatHead
22-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Is there a list of the types of things they want?

CallumLaidlaw
22-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Is there a list of the types of things they want?

Milk (UHT or powdered)

-Sugar (500g)

-Fruit juice (long life carton)

-Cereals

-Tinned sponge pudding

-Tinned tomatoes

-Tinned vegetables

-Pasta Sauces

-Tinned rice pudding

-Tea bags/Instant coffee

-Instant mash potato

-Tinned meat/fish

-Tinned fruit

-Jam

-Biscuits or snack bars

-Tinned Baby Food

PatHead
24-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info.

Will nip into the shops in the morning

hibee-boys
24-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Great initiative by hibs, one which I hope many of the supporters, who can, support.

I do however hope that the food is distributed to the real needy and not to those in food poverty due to them wasting money on non essentials such as mobile phone contracts, sky packages etc.

ACLeith
24-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Great initiative by hibs, one which I hope many of the supporters, who can, support.

I do however hope that the food is distributed to the real needy and not to those in food poverty due to them wasting money on non essentials such as mobile phone contracts, sky packages etc.

Shame on you. Go along to the Leith food banks and see for yourself the predicament of the people who have to attend. Or better still, volunteer to help, you will be welcomed.

hibee-boys
24-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Shame on you. Go along to the Leith food banks and see for yourself the predicament of the people who have to attend. Or better still, volunteer to help, you will be welcomed.

Shame on me....why is that exactly? As my original post says I support the initiative and hope everyone who can gets involved. Am I wrong to want to ensure that the people who benefit are the ones in need due to circumstances beyond their control? I'd far rather they benefit than those who require help due to their own lifestyle choices! Sorry if that offends you but that's my opinion.

ACLeith
24-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Shame on me....why is that exactly? As my original post says I support the initiative and hope everyone who can gets involved. Am I wrong to want to ensure that the people who benefit are the ones in need due to circumstances beyond their control? I'd far rather they benefit than those who require help due to their own lifestyle choices! Sorry if that offends you but that's my opinion.

The way food banks are set up ensures that those who attend are genuine, as far as is humanly possible. They are referred by an agency, they can't just walk in looking for a handout. Believe me, some of their stories are heartbreaking.

monktonharp
25-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Shame on me....why is that exactly? As my original post says I support the initiative and hope everyone who can gets involved. Am I wrong to want to ensure that the people who benefit are the ones in need due to circumstances beyond their control? I'd far rather they benefit than those who require help due to their own lifestyle choices! Sorry if that offends you but that's my opinion.lifestyle choices. where have I heard that before. you have been watching too much general election quotes, or reading the daily mail,express ,Sun.

DH1875
25-04-2015, 06:47 AM
I have a friend who uses our local food bank. Fair enough she is always skint and never has any money but....she does have sky (full package as well), a top of the range mobile, 55“ TV in the living room, I-pads, PS4 AND XBOX 1 which she pays for weekly/monthly. She is also off to Turkey next month for 10 days AI. Like everything in life, there will always be some folks who abuse the system. Still a good cause though.

lucky
25-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Very few if any choose to use food banks through choice. It's just sad in this day and age that in Scotland that they are required

green&left
25-04-2015, 07:59 AM
I have a friend who uses our local food bank. Fair enough she is always skint and never has any money but....she does have sky (full package as well), a top of the range mobile, 55“ TV in the living room, I-pads, PS4 AND XBOX 1 which she pays for weekly/monthly. She is also off to Turkey next month for 10 days AI. Like everything in life, there will always be some folks who abuse the system. Still a good cause though.

Your friend sounds like a complete Noel Hunt. Essentialy a thief. IMO of course...

For every chancer there will be 100 folk relying/needing foodbanks and their donations. Great cause and well done Hibs.

Big_Franck
25-04-2015, 08:06 AM
I work for an organisation that makes referrals to one of the foodbanks in Edinburgh. We ask for their last month's bank statement as part of the referral process to show they are in genuine need. Everyone we have ever referred has been in a desperate situation through no fault of their own.

Most of them have had their benefits stopped or sanctioned for spurious reasons. We also see a few people who regularly struggle due to the inconsistent income that their 'flexible' zero hour contract gives them.

This is a great cause that i'm sure Hibs fans will rally round again.

One Day
25-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Honest question here....Are the people who use food banks vetted in any way or can anyone walk in off the street?

oneone73
25-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Honest question here....Are the people who use food banks vetted in any way or can anyone walk in off the street?

See the post above???

Pretty Boy
25-04-2015, 08:28 AM

Foodbanks can only be accessed by those referred to them. I know housing associations can refer people, I'm not sure who else although I'd imagine social workers and the job centre can.

You can't just walk in off the street because you're a 'bit short this month'.

The one thing I've always wondered about foodbanks is whether there is an educational element. Do they help people develop skills that can make food go a wee bit further? I was out of work for a couple of months 3 years or so back and with a fee basic skills I was able to feed myself and my girlfriend, well, for considerably less than £30 a week.

Big_Franck
25-04-2015, 08:37 AM

I can't speak for other referral agencies but we ask for the last month's bank statement. It normally shows that they were receiving benefits at the start of the month but that it has stopped. Some people also bring their letters from the jobcentre in showing it has stopped.

For those that work their bank statement shows how inconsistent their wages are. Some people also bring in their recent wage slips although if we've got the bank statement theyre not really necessary.

I suppose there will always be a small minority of chancers but as i said everyone we've ever referred has been in genuine need.

One Day
25-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. It was a genuine question that has now been answered

Big_Franck
25-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Foodbanks can only be accessed by those referred to them. I know housing associations can refer people, I'm not sure who else although I'd imagine social workers and the job centre can.

The one thing I've always wondered about foodbanks is whether there is an educational element. Do they help people develop skills that can make food go a wee bit further? I was out of work for a couple of months 3 years or so back and with a fee basic skills I was able to feed myself and my girlfriend, well, for considerably less than £30 a week.

We sometimes refer people to the food preparation and budgeting skills course run by Cyrenians in Edinburgh. Can't post links on my phone unfortunately but here is the address:

http://www.cyreniansgoodfood.org.uk/what_we_do/food_education/Food_Preparation_Budgeting_Skills.aspx

oconnors_strip
25-04-2015, 08:56 AM

I know of one group which sends people to prepring food courses which teaches them to cook from scratch and make their food last longer and be healthier. Which I think is a very good idea

Pretty Boy
25-04-2015, 08:58 AM
We sometimes refer people to the food preparation and budgeting skills course run by Cyrenians in Edinburgh. Can't post links on my phone unfortunately but here is the address:

http://www.cyreniansgoodfood.org.uk/what_we_do/food_education/Food_Preparation_Budgeting_Skills.aspx

I know of one ingles how which sends people to prepring food courses which teaches them to cook from scratch and make their food last longer and be healthier. Which I think is a very good idea

Thanks folks.

Yep food preparation courses etc seem a great idea imo.

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2015, 09:33 AM

She is a disgrace who gives ammunition to those cynics who try to portray all those who need help as feckless. The food she takes is depriving a genuine person in need of help.

FranckSuzy
25-04-2015, 09:46 AM
She is a disgrace who gives ammunition to those cynics who try to portray all those who need help as feckless. The food she takes is depriving a genuine person in need of help.

:agree: If I knew someone doing this, I'd try and appeal to their better nature and ask them to stop. But if they refused, I'd shop them. People donate to these very worthwhile causes to help those in need, not folk who want it all but aren't prepared to reign it in, where possible.

HibbyKeith
25-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Nearly missed this, cheers for the Bump with this thread.

Just nipped round with some stuff in the car before heading round for the game. seems a steady flow of people dropping what they can off.

Great cause, as others have said it's shocking that things like this are needed in this day and age.

Lets look after our own, If you cant take a bag, just stick a tin of something in your pocket. Every little helps.

DH1875
25-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Your friend sounds like a complete Noel Hunt. Essentialy a thief. IMO of course...

For every chancer there will be 100 folk relying/needing foodbanks and their donations. Great cause and well done Hibs.

Your not wrong to be honest. She's is more a friend of my mrs and it drives me nuts the handouts she gets. Not just from foodbanks :(

One Day
25-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Any news on how this went today