PDA

View Full Version : Summer signings

Hibeesmad
19-04-2015, 10:29 PM
I know that we have a lot of big games left to decide our future etc regarding players however has anyone heard about any new players who we may be looking at on maybe pre-contracts?

SteveHFC
19-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Gavin Reilly :hyper

madhatter
19-04-2015, 10:36 PM
I know that we have a lot of big games left to decide our future etc regarding players however has anyone heard about any new players who we may be looking at on maybe pre-contracts?

Wouldn't come to us but Meekings and Draper at Inverness have always impressed. I'd like to know who we are after. Hope we've been scouting young ambitious players and get them in pronto. We need full pre-season to get them up to speed. Be nice if we built a squad. Can't help but feel we have quite good individuals that don't quite make a good team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Like the look of Dunfermlines attacking midfielder Faissal El Bakhtaoui.

Smartie
19-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I can't see us being pro-active on this front.

I don't think we'll be able to commit to anyone financially until we know which league we'll be in and I'd be surprised if anyone decent would want to come to us if we're in the first division again.

As per usual I feel we'll be left behind but the reasons behind this are understandable.

silverhibee
19-04-2015, 11:20 PM

I don't think we'll be able to commit to anyone financially until we know which league we'll be in and I'd be surprised if anyone decent would want to come to us if we're in the first division again.

As per usual I feel we'll be left behind but the reasons behind this are understandable.

It will be harder to attract better players to ER if we are in this league two seasons on the bounce, lets not forget if The Rangers go up the Championship league won't be as attractive as it has been this season, not even sure if the tv companies will bother with this league next season and the media/press won't give a toss about it as long as they have the Old Firm back playing each other in the top league.

ScottM1875
20-04-2015, 12:23 AM
Craig sibbald may be a decent shout, especially if we're still in this league...

Scooter
20-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Anyone with pace

blackpoolhibs
20-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Imagine we make the play off final against Motherwell? Irrespective of the result, i can hear the excuse for next seasons poor start.

We were behind everyone else in time for the preparation for this league.

bigwheel
20-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Imagine we make the play off final against Motherwell? Irrespective of the result, i can hear the excuse for next seasons poor start.

So, are you suggesting we weren't behind the curve this season? If not, what is the point you're making?

blackpoolhibs
20-04-2015, 06:50 AM
So, are you suggesting we weren't behind the curve this season? If not, what is the point you're making?

No i'm not suggesting that at all, we were a few weeks behind when Stubbs came in. I'd say we were up to speed now though.

J-C
20-04-2015, 06:59 AM
No i'm not suggesting that at all, we were a few weeks behind when Stubbs came in. I'd say we were up to speed now though.

But are we really G.

We're still losing games against so called smaller teams, Stubs is still in the process of learning his trade and still making basic errors and at times we are very one dimentional with an imbalanced squad, 2-3 players short.

Players were brought in as cover but both are cup tied, then the only senior player we had as cover for Stevenson was shipped out on loan, so effectively we had zero cover for him on the left.

bigwheel
20-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Agreed. Fair enough - no excuse for next season - wherever we are

I must be getting soft - I find myself today almost pleased I've not got 6 weeks of hope against I CT followed by our usual pain !

Tom Hart RIP
20-04-2015, 08:06 AM
The most important thing for any player is to get a good pre season. For too many seasons we have brought in players too late and they have never caught up.

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Gavin Reilly :hyper

He's defo on our radar!

Scottie
20-04-2015, 08:40 AM
The most important thing for any player is to get a good pre season. For too many seasons we have brought in players too late and they have never caught up.
I fear this will happen again as until we know which league We are in will determine the targets we will go for. A cup final would have helped financially no end. :rolleyes:

green day
20-04-2015, 08:44 AM
We need a good reliable keeper, two strong, capable ball winning midfielders, and a left back.

We have good youth/under 20's and a few talented players, but need some backbone to get out this league next year.

Scottie
20-04-2015, 08:55 AM
We need a good reliable keeper, two strong, capable ball winning midfielders, and a left back.

We have good youth/under 20's and a few talented players, but need some backbone to get out this league next year.
My concern GD is that if we don't get up this season are we going to keep our better players at the club or are they going to leave leaving more essential signings for next season in the Championship?

PeterboroHibee
20-04-2015, 09:11 AM

It wasnt a problem for Hamilton when they got promoted, and we have a settled management team, so there would be no excuse this time (whatever league we are in).

Hermit Crab
20-04-2015, 09:56 AM

We didn't see players like Allan fyvie and mcgeoch coming to us in this division. Nothing to suggest we can't bring in quality in the summer.

Smartie
20-04-2015, 10:11 AM
We didn't see players like Allan fyvie and mcgeoch coming to us in this division. Nothing to suggest we can't bring in quality in the summer.

True, and the likes of Latapy and Sauzee the time before.

But I think that with The Rangers and Hearts in there this season was unique. We still had some big games and a tv deal so the profile of the Championship this year is higher than it will ever be.

There was also the possibility/ probability that we would only be down for a year and those players would be in the top league again within a season.

If The Rangers go up and we stay down I could see it being a bit of a graveyard league, and with teams like QotS, Falkirk, whoever comes down and possibly even Morton coming up it could be a nightmare to get back out of.

I'm not sure many established quality players of the type you have mentioned and the type we have seen this season would be in a hurry to join up with us second time round (and I think the chances of it will reduce with every year we spend down here).

That said, I've actually been quite impressed with the standard of some of the players both in the Championship and playing for the lower league teams we have played in the cup. I reckon we could build quite a handy team on a budget with lower league players, and I think we should be looking to recruit some of these players even if we go back up.

Bronson
20-04-2015, 10:42 AM
I really rate Craig Sibbald and Blair Alston at Falkirk, anyone know what their contract situation is?

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-04-2015, 11:17 AM
If we do sign anyone he has to have some proven quality, anything less is just a waste of time, lets spend a few quid getting the right players for a change.

Brightside
20-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I fear this will happen again as until we know which league We are in will determine the targets we will go for. A cup final would have helped financially no end. :rolleyes:

The recruitment team have a list base on this league and that league. We will be prepared no matter were we end up.

Iain G
20-04-2015, 11:35 AM
The recruitment team have a list base on this league and that league. We will be prepared no matter were we end up.

Given the new behind the scenes team working away on things there is no reason to think that players are not being tracked, agents are being contacted and there is a plan in place regardless of what league we are in.

Nutmegged
20-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Bit of a broken record here but I'd love us to sign Lyle Taylor, the lad is a goal machine if played in an attacking side, he has pace, good hold up play and has that knack of being in the right place at the right time, I think he'd get us 25 goals easily in the Championship, 17+ in the Premiership - I know we've been after him before on a couple of occassions but with Stubbs now I think would be perfect timing.

superfurryhibby
20-04-2015, 12:12 PM
But are we really G.

We're still losing games against so called smaller teams, Stubs is still in the process of learning his trade and still making basic errors and at times we are very one dimentional with an imbalanced squad, 2-3 players short.

Players were brought in as cover but both are cup tied, then the only senior player we had as cover for Stevenson was shipped out on loan, so effectively we had zero cover for him on the left.

It would seem that reality has set in now and we are seeing that we are not quite good enough and that a novice manager might not have been the greatest idea if we wanted a swift exit from the championship? It was a heck of a gamble to appoint an untested manager!

The football is easier on the eye and we seem to have shifted the focus from having too many ball winning central midfielders to too many ball playing central midfielders, however, we clearly lack width and pace. Having only been to five games this season, it stood out very clearly for me, even against a side as limited as Arbroath. Come on here and mention it at the time and get torn a new one though!

Summer signings are going to be needed, especially when we will have yet another significant team building exercise to undertake. Given what's at stake, I would expect to see a level of investment that should ensure we have every chance of going up/ or staying up.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2015, 12:14 PM

They did not have a great January. Only Fyvie has made an impact. Giving Dje Dje an 18 months deal looks a mistake and Watson and Boyle cup tied was not ideal.

MrSmith
20-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I think we will be stuck in this division next season however, if that is the case, will Stubbs be here?

Hermit Crab
20-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I think we will be stuck in this division next season however, if that is the case, will Stubbs be here?

Yes, unless he leaves of his own accord. He will not be sacked and nor should he be.

hibbytam
20-04-2015, 12:42 PM
They did not have a great January. Only Fyvie has made an impact. Giving Dje Dje an 18 months deal looks a mistake and Watson and Boyle cup tied was not ideal.

Recruitment would have been done with the league in mind. I think there's something in dje dje. Watson and boyle both boost the squad.

MrSmith
20-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Yes, unless he leaves of his own accord. He will not be sacked and nor should he be.

Should've been more clear. I don't expect him to be sacked at all, was thinking will he want to stay if we are stuck for another season?

Ozyhibby
20-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Should've been more clear. I don't expect him to be sacked at all, was thinking will he want to stay if we are stuck for another season?

I doubt there would be much demand for a manager who could not get Hibs out the championship.

bigwheel
20-04-2015, 02:28 PM
I doubt there would be much demand for a manager who could not get Hibs out the championship.

Whilst we are all hurting from the weekend, most football observers will realise he had a mountain to climb in this job and has done very well to get us to where we are now..His reputation will be in a good place at the end of this season - and flying high if he was to manage to get us up.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Would love to get young Chris Johnston from Killie!

PeterboroHibee
20-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Whilst we are all hurting from the weekend, most football observers will realise he had a mountain to climb in this job and has done very well to get us to where we are now..His reputation will be in a good place at the end of this season - and flying high if he was to manage to get us up.

I like Stubbs, but I still think hes got a lot to prove as a manager (and I dont mean that as a negative - this is his first year remember). I suppose you never know what will happen, but I really cant see any clubs coming in for him before the start of next season. Also, he doesnt strike me as someone who would leave that quickly.

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Considering Hearts had a better prepared squad and The Rangers kind of got their act together it's always a huge ask. Couple that with if we did make the play off final Motherwell are a good side too.

Stubbs is very well respected in football and I don't think folk know how good until he's gone! We are a small club and to try find better will be hard.

B.H.F.C
20-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Considering Hearts had a better prepared squad and The Rangers kind of got their act together it's always a huge ask. Couple that with if we did make the play off final Motherwell are a good side too.

Stubbs is very well respected in football and I don't think folk know how good until he's gone! We are a small club and to try find better will be hard.

TC, losing Stubbs doesn't concern me. And I don't mean that because I don't like him, because I do. I just think with the things in place behind the scenes now, if he was to go then we'd simply replace him with someone very similar, from a similar background.

As it happens I don't think we need to fear him going anywhere yet as he hasn't actually achieved anything with us yet.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2015, 03:44 PM

I think if Motherwell are in 11th it's fair to say they are not a very good side at all.
Our inability to get results against much smaller clubs than us will not look good on his CV.
Falkirk, Raith and QoS have budgets a fraction of ours. He is 9 months in the job and we should be further on than we are.
Fact is that we should have 2nd sown up by now and our failure to deal with these teams is costing us.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2015, 04:05 PM

You also say Hearts had a better prepared squad? That does not explain why they have out performed us since Xmas?

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 04:13 PM
I think if Motherwell are in 11th it's fair to say they are not a very good side at all.
Our inability to get results against much smaller clubs than us will not look good on his CV.
Falkirk, Raith and QoS have budgets a fraction of ours. He is 9 months in the job and we should be further on than we are.
Fact is that we should have 2nd sown up by now and our failure to deal with these teams is costing us.

Couldn't disagree more! Do you know the mess we were left in seriously? Ferguson would have struggled to pick up this team for this season. He only had a few weeks to build a squad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 04:15 PM
You also say Hearts had a better prepared squad? That does not explain why they have out performed us since Xmas?

Hearts did have a better prepared squad though. That's why they are champions! What more do you want though? We were never winning the league folk need to get this through their heads ffs.

Second was a huge ask too. Play offs were the aim! We are a ****ty wee club not Man U or Man City. It's Hibs and we have no right to beat anyone.

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 04:17 PM
TC, losing Stubbs doesn't concern me. And I don't mean that because I don't like him, because I do. I just think with the things in place behind the scenes now, if he was to go then we'd simply replace him with someone very similar, from a similar background.

As it happens I don't think we need to fear him going anywhere yet as he hasn't actually achieved anything with us yet.

Yes we have set the foundations like Swansea but I don't want to lose him after one year. He's taken us to a semi final and ran The Rangers close to second. We may nick it from them if they have a wobble.

I think he's achieved a lot in his first season!

B.H.F.C
20-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Yes we have set the foundations like Swansea but I don't want to lose him after one year. He's taken us to a semi final and ran The Rangers close to second. We may nick it from them if they have a wobble.

I think he's achieved a lot in his first season!

Don't think he has achieved anything yet. Opinion on that may be different in a few weeks.

I know we were left in a mess but, for me, although that gave him plenty leeway at the start of the season it's not something that is particularly relevant now. He's been well backed and I think it's time to deliver now.

I don't want to sound like I'm slating him because that's certainly not the case. Equally, I think our results should have been better. He still has a chance to make a success of the season so I'm not going to judge him right now.

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Don't think he has achieved anything yet. Opinion on that may be different in a few weeks.

I know we were left in a mess but, for me, although that gave him plenty leeway at the start of the season it's not something that is particularly relevant now. He's been well backed and I think it's time to deliver now.

I don't want to sound like I'm slating him because that's certainly not the case. Equally, I think our results should have been better. He still has a chance to make a success of the season so I'm not going to judge him right now.

So you only think promotion means he's a success? Well we will have to agree to disagree! Because I'll be very, very surprised if us or anyone go up. Still think Well will stay in the prem.

hibeesboii
20-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I'd take the boy sibbald from Falkirk and reily from qots to start.

B.H.F.C
20-04-2015, 05:05 PM
So you only think promotion means he's a success? Well we will have to agree to disagree! Because I'll be very, very surprised if us or anyone go up. Still think Well will stay in the prem.

The club very, very clearly stated at the start of the season that promotion was the objective. If you don't meet your objectives, you can't claim success. If, for instance, we'd won the cup of course that would have overridden the failure of not getting promoted.

I actually think promotion is still realistic. But only if we finish second.

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 05:09 PM
The club very, very clearly stated at the start of the season that promotion was the objective. If you don't meet your objectives, you can't claim success. If, for instance, we'd won the cup of course that would have overridden the failure of not getting promoted.

I actually think promotion is still realistic. But only if we finish second.

The objective was to do the best we can in the league and promotion was of course the best outcome. I never read anywhere where we said we should or would go up!

If we finish second yeah I agree it's a chance and can never say never. But I still think Motherwell are strong favourites to stay up.

Stubbs was asked to build a team in a very short space of time! Some results could have been better defo, but if we don't go up I don't blame him at all.

I actually blame the club for letting us get into this mess and expect it to be turned around in one season.

number9dream
20-04-2015, 05:28 PM
SIbbald & Alston will probably move on to England for decent fees - not sure we could meet the compensation for either player.
Holt is a good left-back at QoTS but others will be after him.
Nick Ross is set to leave Inverness - would be a decent addition if we lose a few of our central midfielders.
Is Allan the only player in the middle under contract beyond 1 June?

keep the faith
20-04-2015, 05:31 PM
The objective was to do the best we can in the league and promotion was of course the best outcome. I never read anywhere where we said we should or would go up!

If we finish second yeah I agree it's a chance and can never say never. But I still think Motherwell are strong favourites to stay up.

Stubbs was asked to build a team in a very short space of time! Some results could have been better defo, but if we don't go up I don't blame him at all.

I actually blame the club for letting us get into this mess and expect it to be turned around in one season.

Always enjoy your posts. Common sense, realism and an understanding of how things work. sanity amongst the hyperbole.

We started this season on our absolute knees as a club and I am enjoying watching this team for the first time in many years. Rome wasn't built in a day and the job facing Stubbs was very much a footballing Rome!

Some of the expectation on this board for a club who started in this state and attract less than 10 thousand every week is not just bonkers, it's draining the life out the support.

That will be my rant then!!

Thecat23
20-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Always enjoy your posts. Common sense, realism and an understanding of how things work. sanity amongst the hyperbole.

We started this season on our absolute knees as a club and I am enjoying watching this team for the first time in many years. Rome wasn't built in a day and the job facing Stubbs was very much a footballing Rome!

Some of the expectation on this board for a club who started in this state and attract less than 10 thousand every week is not just bonkers, it's draining the life out the support.

I also enjoy watching us, Stubbs has done very well if you ask me! Ok the league isn't great but as you say Rome wasn't built in a day! It will hurt us not getting up if we spend another year down but we will survive and I do think we will do better next season.

I think many are expecting to quick a turn around and it's maybe just to much to ask in such a short period of time.

Ronniekirk
20-04-2015, 05:59 PM

I no longer have any expectations when it comes to Hibs .if we don't get promoted then Financially I would worry how we support Stubbs in the Transfer Market and we will need another complete overhaul ,which would then need to be repeated if we won promotion next season We haven't had continuity and you just have to look at the Inverness Team who kept most of thier players and had this continuity that allows them to develop as a Team .
However it's sunny and am not going to let the weekends result fester . Now want Livi game so we can bounce back .

Ozyhibby
20-04-2015, 06:05 PM

I expect Hibs to be above the likes of Ross county. I know that's asking a bit much for most on here but I like to set high standards for my team. This is now our third season below them and if we don't go up it will be at least 4.
The fact that nobody on the Hibs board sees this as a resigning issue is a disgrace.

Waxy
20-04-2015, 06:09 PM
It seems like we have a good team.We've played well against the huns and the diet huns.Our strikers are not clinical enough.

connerg
20-04-2015, 06:10 PM

I think the OP was meaning will Stubbs want another season in First Division!

Blaster
20-04-2015, 06:14 PM
I expect Hibs to be above the likes of Ross county. I know that's asking a bit much for most on here but I like to set high standards for my team. This is now our third season below them and if we don't go up it will be at least 4.
The fact that nobody on the Hibs board sees this as a resigning issue is a disgrace.

Are you in a time warp mate? Can't be above a team in the league above us. We are where we are and we can only move forward from here. Jumping back continually as you do is not achieving anything. Focus on the future and the foundations that have been laid this year so far.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Are you in a time warp mate? Can't be above a team in the league above us. We are where we are and we can only move forward from here. Jumping back continually as you do is not achieving anything. Focus on the future and the foundations that have been laid this year so far.

Hibs are always asking us to focus on the future. It's how they distract us from what's going wrong just now. They have been doing it for years.

Waxy
20-04-2015, 06:24 PM
It seems like we have a good team.We've played well against the huns and the diet huns.Our strikers are not clinical enough.

keep the faith
20-04-2015, 06:28 PM

You are unrelentlessly downbeat. I'm not sure you can actually see the positives anymore.

Sammy7nil
20-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Alex Harris, anyone?

eastterrace
20-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Alex Harris, anyone?

who........

Sammy7nil
20-04-2015, 07:07 PM
who........

Rolf's laddie

eastterrace
20-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Rolf's laddie

ah yes our savior , he will come back and burn defences with his pace , o i wish it was true .

Billychaotic182
20-04-2015, 09:47 PM
I'd take Ritchie Towell back. Been outstanding since going to Dundalk. Scored a hattrick tonight as well.

Scottie
20-04-2015, 09:50 PM
I'd take Ritchie Towell back. Been outstanding since going to Dundalk. Scored a hattrick tonight as well.
He must have improved since he left us as I thought he was bang average when he was with us.

Sorry Billy :wink:

hibeemikey21
20-04-2015, 10:15 PM
He must have improved since he left us as I thought he was bang average when he was with us.

Sorry Billy :wink:

I remember that LOI guy explaining that he has been converted into an attacking midfielder and has improved exponentially as a result. Pretty sure he was saying he is the standout player in Ireland. On that basis, I'd give him another go!

Some players just need to find their position. There's a great story about Dzeko's old club popping champagne (literally) when they got £20k for him when he was a crap midfielder......

SteveHFC
20-04-2015, 10:50 PM

http://i.minus.com/ibjfB9QMnhj4lq.gif

California-Hibs
21-04-2015, 04:28 AM
Hearts did have a better prepared squad though. That's why they are champions! What more do you want though? We were never winning the league folk need to get this through their heads ffs.

Second was a huge ask too. Play offs were the aim! We are a ****ty wee club not Man U or Man City. It's Hibs and we have no right to beat anyone.

S***ty wee club? Settle down with that kind of chat man! We're a decent footballing club of which we are a decent size, we are just nowhere near the potential standard we should be at.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 05:30 AM
S***ty wee club? Settle down with that kind of chat man! We're a decent footballing club of which we are a decent size, we are just nowhere near the potential standard we should be at.

We are though on the grand scale of things! I love Hibs but some folk need to keep it real! Of course we all want us back in the prem and fighting for a top 4 finish but how often have we done this in the past 15 years?

We are where we are because we have been badly run simple as that. It could take us a while to get back up or we may scrape past the play offs who knows. But all this we should be beating this team and we should be beating that team it doesn't work like that. If it did we wouldn't be in this league.

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 07:28 AM
We are though on the grand scale of things! I love Hibs but some folk need to keep it real! Of course we all want us back in the prem and fighting for a top 4 finish but how often have we done this in the past 15 years?

We are where we are because we have been badly run simple as that. It could take us a while to get back up or we may scrape past the play offs who knows. But all this we should be beating this team and we should be beating that team it doesn't work like that. If it did we wouldn't be in this league.

So just because we have been badly run in the past we should just expect failure in the future? I do expect us to be challenging in the top 5. Anything less is under performance. Anything less, and people are failing.
Clubs in Scotland are living within their means now and we have more means than most. We have not performed to our potential since Yogi was here. Strangely enough he is still up there.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 07:31 AM
So just because we have been badly run in the past we should just expect failure in the future? I do expect us to be challenging in the top 5. Anything less is under performance. Anything less, and people are failing.
Clubs in Scotland are living within their means now and we have more means than most. We have not performed to our potential since Yogi was here. Strangely enough he is still up there.

No not at all. I agree with that. But I don't think it's going to happen over night! You and others think this season should be a breeze and I have no idea why you think that?

We were in far to much a mess to win the league and play offs were the aim and that's where we are. So for me Hibs are exactly where they want to be considering the state we were in start of the season.

s.a.m
21-04-2015, 07:40 AM
No not at all. I agree with that. But I don't think it's going to happen over night! You and others think this season should be a breeze and I have no idea why you think that?

We were in far to much a mess to win the league and play offs were the aim and that's where we are. So for me Hibs are exactly where they want to be considering the state we were in start of the season.

:agree:

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 08:26 AM

I don't think it's asking too much to ask to have got a win over Falkirk in 4 attempts.

I still think we can go up but if we don't then we better have a very good plan for next season. We are down to our core support just now and it is showing no sign of increasing.

Steve20
21-04-2015, 09:12 AM

It's too much to ask to beat Falkirk in 4 attempts, beat Raith more than once and beat QOS more than once?? If that's what we should have expected, then we shouldn't have been charged Premier League prices to watch such rubbish.

The "Hearts were better prepared and we were never winning this league" stuff that gets touted about is just people making excuses for what has been a poor season, results wise. We are 26 points behind top and are even behind a Rangers team that has been looked at as a complete joke team all season.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 09:17 AM
It's too much to ask to beat Falkirk in 4 attempts, beat Raith more than once and beat QOS more than once?? If that's what we should have expected, then we shouldn't have been charged Premier League prices to watch such rubbish.

The "Hearts were better prepared and we were never winning this league" stuff that gets touted about is just people making excuses for what has been a poor season, results wise. We are 26 points behind top and are even behind a Rangers team that has been looked at as a complete joke team all season.

Hearts were better prepared though that's a fact not just an excuse. They had a season to prepare we had 4 weeks!!!

No it's not to much to expect that and if we had been battered in these games I'd be raging! We should have beat them and outplayed these teams more often than not.

Ok I'll put it out there.... What did You's all think would happen this year?? Who honestly thought we'd win the league? Stubbs has done very well and if you or anyone else doesn't think so that's fair enough but I live in the real world and we are not that good to start with.

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 09:33 AM
If we fail to get promoted, I bet there will be people on here this time next year saying that getting promoted in our first two attempts was 'always a big ask' especially after losing players like Allan, McGeogh etc.
At some point, the club have to start delivering.

JimBHibees
21-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Hearts were better prepared though that's a fact not just an excuse. They had a season to prepare we had 4 weeks!!!

No it's not to much to expect that and if we had been battered in these games I'd be raging! We should have beat them and outplayed these teams more often than not.

Ok I'll put it out there.... What did You's all think would happen this year?? Who honestly thought we'd win the league? Stubbs has done very well and if you or anyone else doesn't think so that's fair enough but I live in the real world and we are not that good to start with.

Good post we have done well as has AS a young inexperienced manager in his first job. The style of football is night and day and while there have been disappointments overall we have done well. We havent been fortunate in the last few week with injuries to key players which have affected the team and performances.

The next few weeks are huge that is for sure. Get the impression getting 2nd could be huge as think there is every chance QOS could knock Rangers out.

J-C
21-04-2015, 09:51 AM

At the start of the season I'd have taken fighting for 2nd-3rd, obviously no one expected Hearts to walk it and Rangers to be so bad, it's the manner of the losses I think most are annoyed at TC, we look to have learnt nothing from the losses to Falkirk, Raith, QOS, Alloa etc and that is why questions are now being asked. Yes I am happy with Stubbs but remember although he's young. His assistant, Holden has many many years experience, is he advising him properly when it comes to tactics as this is the area he has got very wrong on a good few occasions this season. We still lose goals all too often near the end of games, midfield although looks great still lacks penetration and the killer ball is all too slow i getting there at times. We have no plan B apart from shifting to a back 3, a back 3 that was wasted on saturday considering Falkirk played 1 up top, he had Dunsmore on the bench a natural right sided defender, or even Forster who has played there before and wasted McGeouch out there instead.

truehibernian
21-04-2015, 11:12 AM
This season is panning out exactly how I thought it would and matches my early prediction posts - that we would see football improve, results be inconsistent (often wildly) and some really low points, and Hibs would do reasonably well in the cups.

We have to consider the starting point for Stubbs - a novice manager. He took on a job when the fans were assembling on a Saturday outside ER demanding Petrie's removal and LD assuming her post under immediate pressure. Players had been culled/released, including youth players who had contracts essentially removed upon relegation. A club sapped of morale, strength and enthusiasm - and one with very very few players of note.

The pressure was on AS to come in and immediately do what has happened in the past - flood the squad with utter dross and journeymen footballers. He didn't - he took his time, did his homework and did due diligence, used his contacts, and slowly brought in players - other clubs like Hearts and to a degree The Rangers had settled squads and environments (The Rangers football squad I mean).

Hibs also went through dramatic backroom and Academy restructure - which absolutely cannot happen overnight - that has to bed in, evolve and link seamlessly into the whole club and first team ethos.

The standard of football, let's face it, was industrial and poor to watch - so AS firstly had a blank canvas and secondly an idea that any form of good football was going to win plaudits. Again it would not happen overnight given his timescales pre-season, but you saw with the run that started after 10 games or so, the football improved, it was attacking, it brought positive comments and results - The Rangers wins in particular - and really good, attacking derby showings - for me all four the best I've seen in a long time - very consistent.

The lows have been the poor start, the dramatic loss to Dundee Utd (full strength by the way, let's not forget), the Falkirk game at the weekend (result, not performance), and the really poor loss to The Rangers where we did not turn up.

The key word and the key failing, which was always going to be the case, was/is consistency. AS will now know his players better, the formations that work for him, and what the team needs next season regardless of league. The template is there and that is the crux for me - you need that solid foundation to build on - and it is there.

I still think we will fall short of promotion - I'm not being pessimistic, it's just that the team still has a bit of mental fragility which is improving - but I think we will just fall short. Clearly would love the team to prove me very very wrong.

My views are, that the talk from Strachan last month, Jackie McNamara last week, and the fact the league is struggling for sponsors, we will see yet another league reconstruct - and Hibs will be part of the plan (with other clubs).

The result at the weekend was our season in 93 minutes - I thought we played some great stuff second half in particular - just lacked composure and technique and some better decision making at the right time - but I actually enjoyed Hibs play on Saturday. Neutrals have all said to me 'how on earth did you lose'.

....rewind to Easter Road v Hamilton.......how many left the ground saying 'how on earth did we lose that' ?

The turn around has been great, the results we seek shall come - just need to dig in and support Alan Stubbs and the players :aok:

CallumLaidlaw
21-04-2015, 11:24 AM
This season is panning out exactly how I thought it would and matches my early prediction posts - that we would see football improve, results be inconsistent (often wildly) and some really low points, and Hibs would do reasonably well in the cups.

We have to consider the starting point for Stubbs - a novice manager. He took on a job when the fans were assembling on a Saturday outside ER demanding Petrie's removal and LD assuming her post under immediate pressure. Players had been culled/released, including youth players who had contracts essentially removed upon relegation. A club sapped of morale, strength and enthusiasm - and one with very very few players of note.

The pressure was on AS to come in and immediately do what has happened in the past - flood the squad with utter dross and journeymen footballers. He didn't - he took his time, did his homework and did due diligence, used his contacts, and slowly brought in players - other clubs like Hearts and to a degree The Rangers had settled squads and environments (The Rangers football squad I mean).

Hibs also went through dramatic backroom and Academy restructure - which absolutely cannot happen overnight - that has to bed in, evolve and link seamlessly into the whole club and first team ethos.

The standard of football, let's face it, was industrial and poor to watch - so AS firstly had a blank canvas and secondly an idea that any form of good football was going to win plaudits. Again it would not happen overnight given his timescales pre-season, but you saw with the run that started after 10 games or so, the football improved, it was attacking, it brought positive comments and results - The Rangers wins in particular - and really good, attacking derby showings - for me all four the best I've seen in a long time - very consistent.

The lows have been the poor start, the dramatic loss to Dundee Utd (full strength by the way, let's not forget), the Falkirk game at the weekend (result, not performance), and the really poor loss to The Rangers where we did not turn up.

The key word and the key failing, which was always going to be the case, was/is consistency. AS will now know his players better, the formations that work for him, and what the team needs next season regardless of league. The template is there and that is the crux for me - you need that solid foundation to build on - and it is there.

I still think we will fall short of promotion - I'm not being pessimistic, it's just that the team still has a bit of mental fragility which is improving - but I think we will just fall short. Clearly would love the team to prove me very very wrong.

My views are, that the talk from Strachan last month, Jackie McNamara last week, and the fact the league is struggling for sponsors, we will see yet another league reconstruct - and Hibs will be part of the plan (with other clubs).

The result at the weekend was our season in 93 minutes - I thought we played some great stuff second half in particular - just lacked composure and technique and some better decision making at the right time - but I actually enjoyed Hibs play on Saturday. Neutrals have all said to me 'how on earth did you lose'.

....rewind to Easter Road v Hamilton.......how many left the ground saying 'how on earth did we lose that' ?

The turn around has been great, the results we seek shall come - just need to dig in and support Alan Stubbs and the players :aok:

Superb post. Agree with all of it. It might not be where we want to be but some of our football has been a joy to watch this year. Light years from the last couple of seasons. Ok, its a lower league, but thats where we are, so I have enjoyed our play and enjoyed us scoring goals again.

We maybe need to get up another gear to get promotion, and we certainly need to be more ruthless. This time next year, if we're talking about how we're going to do in the playoffs again, then I'll be worried, but I really believe we have a longer term plan than the next game for once. We seem organised as a club, we have a CEO with grit and determination. People say it isn't good for AS's career to not get promoted this season or next. Well I'm sure LD will be thinking the same for herself. If we are still in this league next season, I am quite confident that our leadership team will be looking for 1st place as a minimum.

People keep on brushing aside the whole "Hearts had more time to plan". Of course they did. They used most of last season to blood youngsters, who then started this season with 20/30 Premiership games under their belt. Levein would have had Bauben, Gomis, etc lined up months in advance. They were settled on day 1 of pre-season. We had no management team, and around 12 players (including the likes of Collins & Nelson, with no keeper)
And yes Rangers have been a bit of a laughing stock, but lets remember that they only really went into freefall from the end of December. They were quite far ahead of us at that point. They had a lot of experienced players that were used to grinding out results - something we have only managed to do once or twice all season. We had a great run to catch Rangers, but then hit a bump just as Stuart McCall arrived.
Pre-season some people were concerned that we wouldnt even reach the playoffs - well we've done that with 4/5 games to spare so thats not a bad start. We are still well in with a shout of promotion this season, and on our day could beat most teams in Scotland - and yes I get that we haven't beaten Falkirk in 4 attempts - but that is a total anomaly - it's taken us 54 shots against them to score 3 goals - lets look at the fact that we've beaten Hearts, Rangers, QOS, Ross County this season, and ran Dundee Utd close (back when they were decent)
Onwards and upwards!!

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 11:58 AM
If we fail to get promoted, I bet there will be people on here this time next year saying that getting promoted in our first two attempts was 'always a big ask' especially after losing players like Allan, McGeogh etc.
At some point, the club have to start delivering.

I won't, I fully expect us to go up next year as Stubbs now knows exactly how this league is! But the utter panic and ***** getting thrown about because Hearts walked it is laughable.

I have high standards for my club, but I also have realistic ones as well. Maybe time to look at the bigger picture no?!

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 12:02 PM
At the start of the season I'd have taken fighting for 2nd-3rd, obviously no one expected Hearts to walk it and Rangers to be so bad, it's the manner of the losses I think most are annoyed at TC, we look to have learnt nothing from the losses to Falkirk, Raith, QOS, Alloa etc and that is why questions are now being asked. Yes I am happy with Stubbs but remember although he's young. His assistant, Holden has many many years experience, is he advising him properly when it comes to tactics as this is the area he has got very wrong on a good few occasions this season. We still lose goals all too often near the end of games, midfield although looks great still lacks penetration and the killer ball is all too slow i getting there at times. We have no plan B apart from shifting to a back 3, a back 3 that was wasted on saturday considering Falkirk played 1 up top, he had Dunsmore on the bench a natural right sided defender, or even Forster who has played there before and wasted McGeouch out there instead.

That's a fair post, as I said Stubbs will make mistakes and I think on sat wasn't so much the performance because we dominated the game just couldn't score!

I'm just sick hearing folk saying how we pretty much should win every game in this league. Sorry but why?? We were a shambles going into this season trying to find our feet. We are right where I think we deserve and should be! It's frustrating losing stupid points but it happens when your team isn't mentally strong enough for 90 mins. All the training and management won't stop this until the players themselves find the confidence to see games out. Hearts were miles ahead of us in terms of preparation but other folk seem to just dismiss this as rubbish when it's an actual fact'!

JimBHibees
21-04-2015, 12:09 PM

Great post agree with every word. :not worth

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 12:12 PM
That's a fair post, as I said Stubbs will make mistakes and I think on sat wasn't so much the performance because we dominated the game just couldn't score!

I'm just sick hearing folk saying how we pretty much should win every game in this league. Sorry but why?? We were a shambles going into this season trying to find our feet. We are right where I think we deserve and should be! It's frustrating losing stupid points but it happens when your team isn't mentally strong enough for 90 mins. All the training and management won't stop this until the players themselves find the confidence to see games out. Hearts were miles ahead of us in terms of preparation but other folk seem to just dismiss this as rubbish when it's an actual fact'!

Which games should we not win, and why would you think that?

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I hope these foundations that we are putting in place are not as fragile as the foundations people on here said Pat Fenlon was putting in place.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Which games should we not win, and why would you think that?

QOS I don't expect to win every time we play because they are a well organised side! Falkirk who have beaten us and Hearts again well organised side so wouldn't expect a win EVERY time. Raith I haven't seen much of but I'd would expect at least 2 or 3 wins there.

I'm sorry BH I don't buy into "we're Hibs and far superior so we should win all the games" pish. We are in the championship because we are a poor side or were a poor side. We are improving though slowly. We were never winning all four games against them and it's a bit disrespectful to the other teams and we sound very yamish coming out with it. Let's see where we are when the season finishes look at how we done and whatever league we are in built to have a competitive side to fight for either the title or a top six spot.

Or to please some on here, we must win the prem, the Scottish, the champions league and maybe break away to form an independent country and try for the World Cup!!!

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 12:26 PM
QOS I don't expect to win every time we play because they are a well organised side! Falkirk who have beaten us and Hearts again well organised side so wouldn't expect a win EVERY time. Raith I haven't seen much of but I'd would expect at least 2 or 3 wins there.

I'm sorry BH I don't buy into "we're Hibs and far superior so we should win all the games" pish. We are in the championship because we are a poor side or were a poor side. We are improving though slowly. We were never winning all four games against them and it's a bit disrespectful to the other teams and we sound very yamish coming out with it. Let's see where we are when the season finishes look at how we done and whatever league we are in built to have a competitive side to fight for either the title or a top six spot.

Or to please some on here, we must win the prem, the Scottish, the champions league and maybe break away to form an independent country and try for the World Cup!!!

We dominate virtually every game we play in this division, even against the rangers and herts. If herts are so well organised we should not be able to match them but we do, the rangers have the most expensive team in the league and we've pumped them sideways 3 times.

We cant keep blaming Butcher, this team is good enough to beat every team in this division.

3pm
21-04-2015, 12:31 PM
We dominate virtually every game we play in this division, even against the rangers and herts. If herts are so well organised we should not be able to match them but we do, the rangers have the most expensive team in the league and we've pumped them sideways 3 times.

We cant keep blaming Butcher, this team is good enough to beat every team in this division.

Agreed. Not intense enough - lack of urgency.

J-C
21-04-2015, 12:34 PM
33 games with 7 draws and 8 defeats, that stat says it all.

That is a lot of points to throw away and mostly thrown away to lesser teams like Raith, QOS, Falkirk, Alloa etc, you say we can't beat these teams all the time, well lets start off with beating them the majority of the time like Hearts did, they didn't bulldoze these teams but grinded out results when needed.

B.H.F.C
21-04-2015, 12:38 PM

I agree with this and that's why I'm frustrated with where we are.

In the fixtures between us, Hearts and Rangers I'm sure we have the best record and would be top of that wee mini league if you like. We can match them both but that 90 minutes on Saturday summed up why we are where we are.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 12:40 PM

I'm not blaming just Butcher. I'm blaming the mentality BH. It's not just about ability! Hearts have that winning mentality against lower league teams we don't. Stubbs has tried to solve it and we did do unbeaten for a while but I'm sorry again we don't have any right to win all our games! Just because we can raise our game against Hearts and The Rangers means nothing.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm not blaming just Butcher. I'm blaming the mentality BH. It's not just about ability! Hearts have that winning mentality against lower league teams we don't. Stubbs has tried to solve it and we did do unbeaten for a while but I'm sorry again we don't have any right to win all our games! Just because we can raise our game against Hearts and The Rangers means nothing.

It means we have the ability and the mentality to win these games.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 01:17 PM
It means we have the ability and the mentality to win these games.

No we fail against the lesser teams because of this attitude of we should just turn up and win.

J-C
21-04-2015, 01:20 PM
No we fail against the lesser teams because of this attitude of we should just turn up and win.

Surely then that's up to the manager and his coaching staff to make sure we are not lackadaisical in our prep and are mentaly ready for each and every game.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Surely then that's up to the manager and his coaching staff to make sure we are not lackadaisical in our prep and are mentaly ready for each and every game.

Yep defo, and we got to second and sadly old habits kicked back in.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Surely we've not brought in another manager who's signed more players with the wrong attitude?

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Surely we've not brought in another manager who's signed more players with the wrong attitude?

Nope, if we had we would be either mid table or down the bottom. They just needed a boot up the arse. Not Butcher style though.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 02:20 PM

Out of interest BH what would you like to happen if we don't go up? Sack Stubbs? Because that's all that's left to do if you and others think he's a failure.

CallumLaidlaw
21-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Out of interest BH what would you like to happen if we don't go up? Sack Stubbs? Because that's all that's left to do if you and others think he's a failure.

I personally think its absolutely crazy that these words are even being mentioned at the minute. Even if we don't go up this season - I'm pretty certain Stubbs' targets set by his bosses would have been "reach the playoffs" as a minimum. The time it took us to get going, you would have been forgiven for thinking th playoffs were going to be out of reach, but from November we really kicked on and we've played some great stuff. He was given a hellish job in getting a team together for the start of this season, so the very least he deserves is a crack at getting a full pre-season behind his squad and the chance to take us up next season.

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 02:27 PM
I personally think its absolutely crazy that these words are even being mentioned at the minute. Even if we don't go up this season - I'm pretty certain Stubbs' targets set by his bosses would have been "reach the playoffs" as a minimum. The time it took us to get going, you would have been forgiven for thinking th playoffs were going to be out of reach, but from November we really kicked on and we've played some great stuff. He was given a hellish job in getting a team together for the start of this season, so the very least he deserves is a crack at getting a full pre-season behind his squad and the chance to take us up next season.

Spot on [emoji106]🏼

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 02:53 PM

I personally think anyone who does not get us out of this league has certainly failed in their objective. I also think failing to get us to the cup final is also a failure considering it was a virtual hand picked draw of the easiest teams round for round we could have got.

No i wouldn't sack him, but i'm not about to praise him and excuse every failure either just because of who he succeeded.

We have a very good side for this league, it should be doing better.

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 03:18 PM
When we review how the season has went and asses whether it has been a success or failure, it does not always follow that Stubbs is responsible.
It could be that he is judged to have done a good job but the recruitment (knocking back Zeefuick for Dje Dje could certainly be questioned) dept let him down etc.
I personally think Stubbs is doing ok but I think we are a long way from it being a successful season.

J-C
21-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Don't think there's too much wrong with the squad, maybe just needs another 2-3 players in certain positions who are a bit more professional in there work ethic on the pitch. We've seen Malonga scoring goals early on but even during that time people were caling him lazy, he's still lazy but not scoring so we start getting right onto his back even more so, allan for all his talent does at times go into a wee huff every now and then when things don't go his way and during that 20 min period in the 2nd half he was unplayable, we need that more often.

We need a dominating DM to boss the midfield and allow the creative players more freedom, we also need plan B with more width to stretch teams when they start getting tired. I still feel Hanlon, who has improved still switches of and hasn't really developed since he was Scotland U21 captain, I personally think his talent should've outgrown us by now but like the club he's stagnated as a player, if this is the case maybe time to move him on and look at Forster as the main guy.

CallumLaidlaw
21-04-2015, 03:28 PM
When we review how the season has went and asses whether it has been a success or failure, it does not always follow that Stubbs is responsible.
It could be that he is judged to have done a good job but the recruitment (knocking back Zeefuick for Dje Dje could certainly be questioned) dept let him down etc.
I personally think Stubbs is doing ok but I think we are a long way from it being a successful season.

Would Zeefuick have worked for us. The guys on Monday Night Fitba are all absolutely gobsmacked that he has scored the goals he has, and he looked less than average in the last derby. He has very little mobility so I would imagine thats what stopped us from going for him.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Don't think there's too much wrong with the squad, maybe just needs another 2-3 players in certain positions who are a bit more professional in there work ethic on the pitch. We've seen Malonga scoring goals early on but even during that time people were caling him lazy, he's still lazy but not scoring so we start getting right onto his back even more so, allan for all his talent does at times go into a wee huff every now and then when things don't go his way and during that 20 min period in the 2nd half he was unplayable, we need that more often.

We need a dominating DM to boss the midfield and allow the creative players more freedom, we also need plan B with more width to stretch teams when they start getting tired. I still feel Hanlon, who has improved still switches of and hasn't really developed since he was Scotland U21 captain, I personally think his talent should've outgrown us by now but like the club he's stagnated as a player, if this is the case maybe time to move him on and look at Forster as the main guy.

Maybe its just me, but i think i have heard that said and thought it myself many many times over the years? Its just another excuse in my book now, and there comes a time where excuses dont cut it anymore and results are what matters.

Lets just hope by the end of this season we are back in the SPL and have actually achieved something for a change, not licking our wounds and looking for more excuses.

keep the faith
21-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Really good post.

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Would Zeefuick have worked for us. The guys on Monday Night Fitba are all absolutely gobsmacked that he has scored the goals he has, and he looked less than average in the last derby. He has very little mobility so I would imagine thats what stopped us from going for him.

I don't know but we needed a goal scorer in Jan and did not get one.

Real Emerald
21-04-2015, 03:50 PM
I think our problem against the "lesser" teams is they get everyone behind the ball and our style of play is not suited to getting behind and breaking them down. We have a slow build up and struggle to get good balls into the box both in open play and set pieces. We seem unable to change this either prior to playing a team or during a game when it's obvious it needs changing. I think Stubbs has great belief in what he and the players are doing and thinks that if they keep plugging away with the same tactics it will come good.

I think we need to be more direct in some games but do we have he payers to do this, I don't know?

Thecat23
21-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Did we go for Zeefuick? I honestly never heard that!

Matty_Jack04
21-04-2015, 04:03 PM
I think our problem against the "lesser" teams is they get everyone behind the ball and our style of play is not suited to getting behind and breaking them down. We have a slow build up and struggle to get good balls into the box both in open play and set pieces. We seem unable to change this either prior to playing a team or during a game when it's obvious it needs changing. I think Stubbs has great belief in what he and the players are doing and thinks that if they keep plugging away with the same tactics it will come good.

I think we need to be more direct in some games but do we have he payers to do this, I don't know?

We lack a good wide man IMO if we had a tricky get to the byline type of player that could come off the bench during the type of games you mention we could mix it up more, unfortunately Harris was lacking confidence/form and the Boyle swap hasn't quite worked as I think AS had planned by letting Kennedy go as well, I was hopeful Stanton could have made a difference coming off the bench in behind the strikers but for whatever reason he's struggled for form as well

Hermit Crab
21-04-2015, 04:07 PM

When did we go for Zeefuick?? :confused:

Real Emerald
21-04-2015, 04:13 PM
We lack a good wide man IMO if we had a tricky get to the byline type of player that could come off the bench during the type of games you mention we could mix it up more, unfortunately Harris was lacking confidence/form and the Boyle swap hasn't quite worked as I think AS had planned by letting Kennedy go as well, I was hopeful Stanton could have made a difference coming off the bench in behind the strikers but for whatever reason he's struggled for form as well

Also (and I've no stats to back this up) having watched highlights, Hearts have had the same problem as us against these teams but have got a fair few goals from 18 yards plus. We seem reluctant to have a go and when we do the efforts are not great.

Matty_Jack04
21-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Also (and I've no stats to back this up) having watched highlights, Hearts have had the same problem as us against these teams but have got a fair few goals from 18 yards plus. We seem reluctant to have a go and when we do the efforts are not great.

Hearts are able to call on players off the bench in king and Nicholson I think it is who can change the way they play and chip in with a few goals as well as bombarding them physically with the fridge and sow as much as it pains to say it we haven't got that at the moment most players coming off the bench are similar to the ones they replace e.g dje dje Craig handling Stanton I can't remember many times subs have came on and won us a game.....except the last Derby of course :)

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Did we go for Zeefuick? I honestly never heard that!

We were offered him but went for Dje Dje.

Eyrie
21-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Our biggest problem is a lack of pace and width when faced by a defensive team. I'm not sure how someone with less mobility than the Castle would improve that situation.

Real Emerald
21-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Our biggest problem is a lack of pace and width when faced by a defensive team. I'm not sure how someone with less mobility than the Castle would improve that situation.
He's no even got a Tattoo!

hibbytam
21-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Hearts are able to call on players off the bench in king and Nicholson I think it is who can change the way they play and chip in with a few goals as well as bombarding them physically with the fridge and sow as much as it pains to say it we haven't got that at the moment most players coming off the bench are similar to the ones they replace e.g dje dje Craig handling Stanton I can't remember many times subs have came on and won us a game.....except the last Derby of course :)

Livi? at home, dje dje's salmon like header?

woodythehibee
21-04-2015, 08:40 PM
He was not offered to Hibs.

Colr
21-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Remind me. How many players were on the books when Stubbs took over and how long did he have before the season started?

CallumLaidlaw
21-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Remind me. How many players were on the books when Stubbs took over and how long did he have before the season started?

He took over in 24th June, and our first competitive game was the 5th August. If I remember, we had 10 outfield players and no first team goalkeepers

Hermit Crab
21-04-2015, 09:35 PM

Sorry, I think that's rubbish. When was this made public? :confused:

woodythehibee
21-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Most certainly is rubbish. Zeefuik was never on our radar

Real Emerald
21-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Most certainly is rubbish. Zeefuik was never on our radar

He's not exactly stealth, you can see him from outer space never mind radar :greengrin

Ozyhibby
21-04-2015, 10:44 PM

He was but that's not my point. I've only seen him play once and he was gash. He has scored more goals than Dje Dje though. My point was that we needed a goalscorer in Jan and did not get one.

Unseen work
21-04-2015, 10:45 PM
I don't see how anyone thinks Falkirk was an easy semi final tie, even if we were in the spl I wouldn't consider them an easy tie! There are spl teams I would of much rather played than them

Eyrie
21-04-2015, 10:49 PM
He was but that's not my point. I've only seen him play once and he was gash. He has scored more goals than Dje Dje though. My point was that we needed a goalscorer in Jan and did not get one.

You're the only person claiming that. Do you have a link from when he signed for the Yams?

JimBHibees
22-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Now Farid's back we do have that option, poor as he was on Saturday though.

JimBHibees
22-04-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't see how anyone thinks Falkirk was an easy semi final tie, even if we were in the spl I wouldn't consider them an easy tie! There are spl teams I would of much rather played than them

Certainly wasnt easy especially given we hadnt beaten them all season.

muzzando
22-04-2015, 07:45 PM
My livi supporting flatmate told me that apparently the livi forums (brilliant source here I know) are going on about Hippolyte signing a contract with us for next season. Not sure I'd want him here, think we could do better but he is young

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-04-2015, 08:16 PM
He's not exactly stealth, you can see him from outer space never mind radar :greengrin

You can spot him on Google maps if you put in any EH postcode

Stokesy's on fire
22-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Going by some of Fraser Fyvies comments tonight on Alaba interview sections I doubt we will see him wear the famous green next season.

S4uzee
22-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Going by some of Fraser Fyvies comments tonight on Alaba interview sections I doubt we will see him wear the famous green next season.

Got that impression too. If Aberdeen were to offer him a deal he'd be back there no doubt

3pm
22-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Got that impression too. If Aberdeen were to offer him a deal he'd be back there no doubt

What was said?

S4uzee
22-04-2015, 11:08 PM
What was said?

Just that he still supports them, checks their results, still speaks to some players etc.

Stokesy's on fire
22-04-2015, 11:35 PM

Would be a bad move IMO. Their bubble will burst when the big teams are back in the Top flight. Money talks though and if Hibs want to make sure he stays then the pounds and the penny's will do the talking. Over to miss Dempster. And with any luck FF will do the right thing and stick with Hibs for one more season

Ozyhibby
23-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Need to get promoted first. After that we can offer proper contracts for the right players.

bingo70
23-04-2015, 05:07 AM
Just that he still supports them, checks their results, still speaks to some players etc.

He was specifically asked for his thoughts on Aberdeen so he said he was delighted for them as he supported them growing up and still knows some players. Exactly what you'd expect him to say.

He also said he wasn't making any decisions on his future until the summer and nothing has been discussed with the club yet.

No indication at all that he was desperate to go back to Aberdeen or wouldn't stay with us.

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2015, 07:58 AM
He was specifically asked for his thoughts on Aberdeen so he said he was delighted for them as he supported them growing up and still knows some players. Exactly what you'd expect him to say.

He also said he wasn't making any decisions on his future until the summer and nothing has been discussed with the club yet.

No indication at all that he was desperate to go back to Aberdeen or wouldn't stay with us.

Didn't he reject a loan move to them a wee while ago?

bingo70
23-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Didn't he reject a loan move to them a wee while ago?

Rumour on here from someone that knows his family said they refused training facilities for him so he had a fall out with them. That poster said bridges were burnt and no chance he'd go back there.

No idea if that's true or not though.

hibs#1
24-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Rumour on here from someone that knows his family said they refused training facilities for him so he had a fall out with them. That poster said bridges were burnt and no chance he'd go back there.

No idea if that's true or not though.
hopefully he stays here he's got a tonne of potential

stokesmessiah
24-04-2015, 11:13 AM
He was supposed to be going back to Aberdeen on loan after McInnes had become manager, it was all set to go through but FF pulled out at the very last minute. This left Aberdeen with no time to get someone else and apparently it left a bitter taste in McInnes mouth as well. Prior to coming to us in Jan he made contact and asked if the deal could be resurrected and i am told he got a one word answer, he then asked for training facilities and get the exact same answer. I don't think there is any chance that he will be going back to Aberdeen any time soon, he also apparently loves being at Hibs so i could well see him signing on for next season. I would hope we tie him to a 2 year contract, a good pre season and i think he will be a cracking player next year, that gives us leverage if someone comes in to buy him.

brog
24-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Great post! If people can't see the way the club has been revolutionised, (from boardroom to training centre, to supporter involvement, to development squad & to the 1st team) in the last 9 months then IMO they're deliberately closing their eyes to our progress. Mind you I genuinely suspect some posters on here to have sadomasochistic tendencies ( beyond us all supporting Hibs that is! ) & I believe if we won the cup/league we'd never see another post from them.

brog
24-04-2015, 11:27 AM
My livi supporting flatmate told me that apparently the livi forums (brilliant source here I know) are going on about Hippolyte signing a contract with us for next season. Not sure I'd want him here, think we could do better but he is young

He's raw but definitely got ability. Would be worth a punt IMO.

brog
24-04-2015, 11:29 AM

Absolute nonsense but if we had signed fat Boy you would have been the first on here complaining about another loan signing!

frazeHFC
24-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Really hope Fyvie stays. I remember reading a post of someone saying that he loves being at Hibs. Again, I think him staying could depend on whether we go up or not.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Agree with what you say about the tactics and the struggle against stuffy teams. Not so sure about the idea that Stubbs believes in keeping plugging away, the results suggest it doesn't always working he clearly knows it. It's more that we have no options or alternative.

What bothers me is that we did have wide players ( Booth and Kennedy) and we got rid of them. Perhaps that a was a poor decision by Stubbs?

Whoever comes, I hope we get the business done early. If we don't win promotion this season , next season could be one of the biggest In our history.

CallumLaidlaw
24-04-2015, 11:49 AM
He's raw but definitely got ability. Would be worth a punt IMO.

Be interested to see more of him. He's looked ok against us, but before his goal against Rangers last week, he hadnt scored since September, and only has 2 goals in the league all season.

CallumLaidlaw
24-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Agree with what you say about the tactics and the struggle against stuffy teams. Not so sure about the idea that Stubbs believes in keeping plugging away, the results suggest it doesn't always working he clearly knows it. It's more that we have no options or alternative.

What bothers me is that we did have wide players ( Booth and Kennedy) and we got rid of them. Perhaps that a was a poor decision by Stubbs?

Whoever comes, I hope we get the business done early. If we don't win promotion this season , next season could be one of the biggest In our history.

Thing is, we had very little success with the wingers in the starting 11, or even coming off the bench, so either we just weren't suited to using out and out wingers, or they weren't good enough. I do think we'll see us try wingers again next season.

Fergus52
24-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Thing is, we had very little success with the wingers in the starting 11, or even coming off the bench, so either we just weren't suited to using out and out wingers, or they weren't good enough. I do think we'll see us try wingers again next season.

You're probably right.

Hopefully we'll have a re-invigorated Harris and a couple of new wingers so we can go for a more direct style of play when the slow possession based build up isn't working.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2015, 12:00 PM

True, but our early season form was poor, possibly regardless of tactics.

Beating a man, regardless of where someone is in midfield, is the key to unpicking tight defences. As soon as that happens then space opens up.

Not sure who is good enough and who isn't especially given the standard of the league. Does Dje, Dje or Boyle offer more than Callum Booth?

I also recognise that Stubbs is learning, but he does need to get it right and the predictable pattern to results suggest that hasn't always happened. Too one dimensional and too prone to lose a goal in each game.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Bump.

poolman
26-04-2015, 12:38 AM

Very accurate summing up ☺

Nutmegged
26-04-2015, 09:19 AM

So you're just blatently lying now then and brushing it off...attention seeker

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Wish we still had Matthew Kennedy, great player who is impressing at Cardiff. That is the type of player we need in the summer

CRAZYHIBBY
26-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Wish we still had Matthew Kennedy, great player who is impressing at Cardiff. That is the type of player we need in the summer

Did he actually do anything last time round?

Fergus52
26-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Not much but you could tell he had great skill on the ball, not too surprised that he's doing so well at Cardiff.

Did he not score a screamer in the Dundee Utd match as well?

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 11:15 AM

He impressed me, always a threat for the opposition, most of the time they would double up on him. Created a lot of chances and would whip the ball in the box

truehibernian
26-04-2015, 10:48 PM
If/when Craig and Robbo leave, Liam Henderson will be back on the radar - see he has hit the ground running big style in Norway. Would love to see him at Hibs :aok:

Unseen work
26-04-2015, 11:10 PM
If/when Craig and Robbo leave, Liam Henderson will be back on the radar - see he has hit the ground running big style in Norway. Would love to see him at Hibs :aok:

Don't think we would be able to get him tbh, a loan if anything but j think he will feature a lot next season for Celtic

Ozyhibby
27-04-2015, 09:35 AM
So you're just blatently lying now then and brushing it off...attention seeker

Sorry, just spotted this. Where did I say I was lying?
Hibs did have the chance to sign him, they assessed him and decided not to proceed. They signed Dje Dje instead.
I've not seen the Hearts player play except at Easter road where he was gash but he has scored a few goals and that was what we needed. Dje Dje has not made the impact we would have liked.
I suspect you were looking for a bit of attention yourself by calling me a liar. It's ok, I've got thick skin, knock yourself out.

Thecat23
27-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Sorry, just spotted this. Where did I say I was lying?
Hibs did have the chance to sign him, they assessed him and decided not to proceed. They signed Dje Dje instead.
I've not seen the Hearts player play except at Easter road where he was gash but he has scored a few goals and that was what we needed. Dje Dje has not made the impact we would have liked.
I suspect you were looking for a bit of attention yourself by calling me a liar. It's ok, I've got thick skin, knock yourself out.

Hey Ozy, I'm certainly not calling you a liar but when did we have a look at him? I've never heard anyone at the club say he was watched. Was it in the papers?

If we did have him watched I'm delighted we never took him!

Ozyhibby
27-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey Ozy, I'm certainly not calling you a liar but when did we have a look at him? I've never heard anyone at the club say he was watched. Was it in the papers?

If we did have him watched I'm delighted we never took him!

Clear your inbox.

Thecat23
27-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Clear your inbox.

Done 👍🏼