PDA

View Full Version : Genuinely gutted that ICT are through to the final.

magnificent_seven
19-04-2015, 02:07 PM
First things first, well done to ICT for overturning Celtic and getting to the final. However, it has made yesterdays defeat even more sickening for me. By no means would it have been a guarantee that we would win in a final against ICT, it would be a very tough game, but it would have been our best ever chance of winning this effing cup.

Honestly still spewing today :no way:

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2015, 02:10 PM
It was absolutely nailed on they would win when we lost.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm pleased for them, and it makes no difference to us: we didn't do the job yesterday, so who plays Falkirk in the final isn't something I feel strongly about.

PeeJay
19-04-2015, 02:12 PM
First things first, well done to ICT for overturning Celtic and getting to the final. However, it has made yesterdays defeat even more sickening for me. By no means would it have been a guarantee that we would win in a final against ICT, it would be a very tough game, but it would have been our best ever chance of winning this effing cup.

This team's no-where near good enough. We can't even beat an under-strength Championship club like Falkirk, so best stop kidding yourself that we would have a better chance against a top-flight club. Tell you what, I bet IC are wishing it had been us in the final, they would have been even more confident of winning silver!

Pete
19-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Don't be gutted.

It's pointless.

Pretty Boy
19-04-2015, 02:13 PM
We didn't do our job yesterday.

That had no bearing on todays result and how good a chance we would or wouldn't have against ICT is all conjectural nonsense.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2015, 02:14 PM
This team's no-where near good enough. We can't even beat an under-strength Championship club like Falkirk, so best stop kidding yourself that we would have a better chance against a top-flight club. Tell you what, I bet IC are wishing it had been us in the final, they would have been even more confident of winning silver!

I'm disappointed we lost yesterday because no team in my lifetime have ever won the cup after losing a semi final, there has been of course quite a few upsets, where the underdogs have won the cup against better teams.

Bostonhibby
19-04-2015, 02:14 PM
See where you are coming from, but I am still going to say well done Yogi - I think they would probably have beat us but we will never know. Shinnie is some player though - would take him.

Lago
19-04-2015, 02:15 PM

To be honest having just watched the way ICT played against Celtic there is no way the current Hibs team would beat them.

rcarter1
19-04-2015, 02:16 PM
ICT are probably a lot better than we are so Im not thinking we've missed a sitter in the final. This is an opportunity that Hibs would do well to keep an eye on. If ICT win the Scottish Cup, I suspect there will be a bunch of their players feeling they have done everything they can at the club and look for a better money move. There's a few players they have that Im confident would improve our squad, and if we can't pay better wages than them, and show more ambition, then...

davidw
19-04-2015, 02:16 PM
All that would have happened is that people would have started frothing that because it was Inverness and not Celtic, we were going to win. And then we'd lose. And then someone on Hibs.net would start a thread called "That was inexcusable", and then we'd have a whole summer of frenzied self-flagellation and blaming Petrie and Liam Craig.

It's the Hibs (and Hibs.net) way....

Iain G
19-04-2015, 02:17 PM

Move on, still got the playoffs to go and we need to get behind the team for one final big push this season.

About time we all started looking forward instead of backward, the club have started and we need to go with them. So we havent won the Scottish Cup since whenever, honestly, so bloody what?!

matty_f
19-04-2015, 02:18 PM
All that would have happened is that people would have started frothing that because it was Inverness and not Celtic, we were going to win. And then we'd lose. And then someone on Hibs.net would start a thread called "That was inexcusable", and then we'd have a whole summer of frenzied self-flagellation and blaming Petrie and Liam Craig.

:agree:

ronaldo7
19-04-2015, 02:19 PM
See where you are coming from, but I am still going to say well done Yogi - I think they would probably have beat us but we will never know. Shinnie is some player though - would take him.

Shinnie has signed for the Dons.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2015, 02:19 PM
What cannot be argued is Tha Inverness CT look like adding to the long list of clubs that have managed a Scottish ****ing cup win since we have. I think we should all be gutted at that.

Bostonhibby
19-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Shinnie has signed for the Dons.
Never knew. Sheep, the lot of them[emoji6]

Iain G
19-04-2015, 02:22 PM
What cannot be argued is Tha Inverness CT look like adding to the long list of clubs that have managed a Scottish ****ing cup win since we have. I think we should all be gutted at that.

Good luck to them!

Hermit Crab
19-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Why be gutted? We lost, move on to livvy away on Wednesday and hopefully 3 points. If Stubbs keeps up his good signings and the way the team are playing then I'm sure we will be back in a semi final before too long. Keep the faith.

Big_Franck
19-04-2015, 02:24 PM
We didn't do our job yesterday.

That had no bearing on todays result and how good a chance we would or wouldn't have against ICT is all conjectural nonsense.

This for me. We didn't take our chances yesterday and so didn't deserve to go through. I wasn't bothered in the slightest who won the other semi today as the cup has now gone for us.

On to Livingston on the Wednesday which we need to win to maintain a decent chance of getting second place.

Hannah_hfc
19-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Agree entirely, said similar in the results/ Sunday games thread.

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Are you all being serious? This was our best chance to win the cup in my lifetime and we blew it. Everything happened the exact way we wanted it to happen, apart from us not being able to win yesterday. There's no way of knowing that we would have won against Inverness. But it would've been our best chance since we lost to Clyde. To be saying that is not gutting is unbelievable. Watching a tin pot team like Inverness or Falkirk winning the cup has left me angrier than I was yesterday.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Why be gutted? We lost, move on to livvy away on Wednesday and hopefully 3 points. If Stubbs keeps up his good signings and the way the team are playing then I'm sure we will be back in a semi final before too long. Keep the faith.

I'm gutted. Never missed any Hibs tie in the Scottish since 1981, so I'm used to the feeling, believe me.
I'll be at Livingston Wednesday but it won't change how I am feeling today.

Iain G
19-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Are you all being serious? This was our best chance to win the cup in my lifetime and we blew it. Everything happened the exact way we wanted it to happen, apart from us not being able to win yesterday. There's no way of knowing that we would have won against Inverness. But it would've been our best chance since we lost to Clyde. To be saying that is not gutting is unbelievable. Watching a tin pot team like Inverness or Falkirk winning the cup has left me angrier than I was yesterday.

Falkirk beat us to get through and ICT are doing well and defeated Celtic, think we are a lil more tin pot than either of this pair at the mo!

Time for a wee bit perspective maybe?!

Pete
19-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Disagree mate. If you think about all our other finals we've been closer to the opposition then than we have been to ICT right now.

No point worrying about things you can't change.

Ronniekirk
19-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Think you right in what you are saying Am pleased for Hughes and would want them now to go on and win it And could be both St Johnstone and Inverness Caley would then have won it at thier first attempt

Largshibby
19-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Me too. We got virtually byes all the way to the semis and then couldn't put away the 17th ranked team in Scottish football. I doubt we would beat ICT in a final on the evidence of today but we would have had a massive following at Hampden (probably 35k+) which would have been some spectacle and no two games of football are ever the same so we would have had a chance. Great for the finances as well.

Scottie
19-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Well done ICT and Yogi

It was in the stars after yesterday's game. We had our chance and didn't take it.

Roll on Wednesday night as this is our most important game of our season now.

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2015, 02:45 PM
It's a sickener, we'd have been in a fantastic position to win the cup against ICT. I keep hoping to wake up and find out it's still Saturday morning and it was all a bad dream. Going to try to get off for Wednesday now to erase this!

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Disagree mate. If you think about all our other finals we've been closer to the opposition then than we have been to ICT right now.

No point worrying about things you can't change.

I know what you're saying mate, but I'm finding it hard to agree that beating Inverness wouldn't have been our best chance in decades. Maybe it's how far we've fallen recently that I can't get my head around. I still think of us as one of the big guns in Scotland. Maybe I should lower my expectations.

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Me too. We got virtually byes all the way to the semis and then couldn't put away the 17th ranked team in Scottish football. I doubt we would beat ICT in a final on the evidence of today but we would have had a massive following at Hampden (probably 35k+) which would have been some spectacle and no two games of football are ever the same so we would have had a chance. Great for the finances as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking

Springbank
19-04-2015, 03:07 PM
It's a sickener, we'd have been in a fantastic position to win the cup against ICT. I keep hoping to wake up and find out it's still Saturday morning and it was all a bad dream. Going to try to get off for Wednesday now to erase this!

We would have beaten Inverness, murdered Falkirk (again) yesterday, and I am one who says to deserve success you need to do it in style,

i believe in Stubbs and this team, we need to back them all & stick together

sbell1875
19-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Hate to say it but ICT are streets ahead of us and would have been the clear favourites in the final if we'd progressed.

Zazu62
19-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Actually past caring if I'm being honest

California-Hibs
19-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Completely agree with the OP, I'm in the exact same boat. Of course we would all have been desperate for an ICT win rather than a Celtic win had we taken care of our game yesterday. By no means at all would it have meant anywhere near a 'definite win' for us, but our chances would have been MUCH higher. Image how many we would have taken, around a good 35k would be my guess. Excellent for the finances, huge chance of actually winning it. Don't anyone delude themselves in thinking that this Inverness win doesn't make our loss yesterday hurt that little bit more!

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Its annoying in the sense that we could have had a massive support at Hampden for the final and that would have been worth seeing, but this stuff is all coulda, woulda, shoulda at the end of the day, so I can see little point in getting bent out of shape over it. We have some huge games coming up, lets back the team in them and not get distracted by what might have been.

Thecat23
19-04-2015, 03:17 PM
ICT would be harder to beat than Celtic. Pressure would be on them for the treble like today where ICT love to play wide and I think would take 2 or 3 off us with the amount of cross balls into the box.

Time to forget it! Let's focus on the play offs.

California-Hibs
19-04-2015, 03:23 PM
ICT would be harder to beat than Celtic. Pressure would be on them for the treble like today where ICT love to play wide and I think would take 2 or 3 off us with the amount of cross balls into the box.

Disagree.

Agree.

emerald green
19-04-2015, 03:45 PM
If we could go back 24 hours, every Hibs supporter was surely hoping then that it would be Hibs V ICT in the final.

It doesn't matter whether Hibs could, or could not, beat ICT in the final, we will never know now. Another chance to get this monkey off the club's back has gone abegging.

Psychologically, I think the players and the supporters would feel they would have a better chance against ICT than Celtic, simply because Celtic are the better of those two teams in most games.

Callum_62
19-04-2015, 03:46 PM

emmm, nah.

We would have had a more than decent chance to win the thing had we done our job properly yesterday

I do think we would have still lost however - I already think we look a tiring team.....and with all these important games coming up, I think it would have been a stretch for us

Still hopeful of a 2nd place finish - be interesting to see the reaction at livi mid week

The playoffs are going to be very interesting.....Queens or Falkirk, Hibs and Rangers can all beat each other on there day

I have a horrible feeling of us bottling it in the 1st games if we dont finish 2nd

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2015, 03:53 PM

Exactly!

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2015, 03:57 PM
How many folk were saying we'd get pumped in the final had we got there on Friday? Now suddenly this is apparently a good thing as ICT are the new Barcelona, and far superior to us?

Maybe we should have just been beaten in the 3rd round, we never stood a chance of winning this cup. :rolleyes:

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 03:59 PM
How many folk were saying we'd get pumped in the final had we got there on Friday? Now suddenly this is apparently a good thing as ICT are the new Barcelona, and far superior to us?

Maybe we should have just been beaten in the 3rd round, we never stood a chance of winning this cup. :rolleyes:
Exactly, I didn't hear anyone saying there's no point beating Falkirk because we'd get pumped in the final anyway. It's a wasted opportunity and a good one at that.

Stranraer
19-04-2015, 04:01 PM
It's typical that Celtic are knocked out when we lose a Semi Final but all credit to Inverness - I can now watch the final as a complete neutral.

IFONLY
19-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Hate to say it but ICT are streets ahead of us and would have been the clear favourites in the final if we'd progressed.

Some would say that Celtic are "streets ahead of ICT !!!!!!

Pete
19-04-2015, 04:04 PM

At least this way you have a fantastic opportunity to wallow in self pity.

Pete
19-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I know what you're saying mate, but I'm finding it hard to agree that beating Inverness wouldn't have been our best chance in decades. Maybe it's how far we've fallen recently that I can't get my head around. I still think of us as one of the big guns in Scotland. Maybe I should lower my expectations.

It is hard to accept but we are where we are...the 15th ranked team in Scotland.

Expectations really should be lowered accordingly but only temporarily. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2015, 04:07 PM
At least this way you have a fantastic opportunity to wallow in self pity.d

:faf: Or laugh at the rewriting of history since 12.15 yesterday.

johnbc70
19-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Best chance was if we beat Hearts in 2006 then would have faced Gretna in the final.

Pete
19-04-2015, 04:11 PM
d

:faf: Or laugh at the rewriting of history since 12.15 yesterday.

I don't think anyone is glad we lost but we have to be realistic about our chances if we had won. Massive underdogs either way.

Onion
19-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Well done to ICT on reaching the final via the toughest of semis. But this makes it all the more gutting that we could not beat a poor Falkirk side.

Today was ICT's final, knowing that if they beat Celtic, they would meet Falkirk in the final and have a great chance of winning the cup. Hibs did not have that advantage, as the strong expectation was that Celtic would be waiting for us. Would our result have been different had we played on the Sun and ICT v Celtic played on the Sat ? Would Hibs have put in that little bit extra effort ?

The Hibs players will be gutted !

green day
19-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Best chance was if we beat Hearts in 2006 then would have faced Gretna in the final.

Correct. The revisionism on here sometimes amuses me!

Onion
19-04-2015, 04:15 PM
If we could go back 24 hours, every Hibs supporter was surely hoping then that it would be Hibs V ICT in the final.

It doesn't matter whether Hibs could, or could not, beat ICT in the final, we will never know now. Another chance to get this monkey off the club's back has gone abegging.

Psychologically, I think the players and the supporters would feel they would have a better chance against ICT than Celtic, simply because Celtic are the better of those two teams in most games.

Realistically, would have been our best chance of winning the cup since Clyde in the 40s.

Andy74
19-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Of course it's a bit galling.

It would have been a huge day with a massive support and a more than decent chance of actually competing to win the thing.

Inverness would have been favourites but not as clear as Celtic would have been.

Big, big chance blown.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2015, 04:17 PM
I don't think anyone is glad we lost but we have to be realistic about our chances if we had won. Massive underdogs either way.

Yip we'd have been underdogs, maybe a 5/2 shot probably with ICT 1/2? As i said before, i have never yet seen a team thats been knocked out in the semi final win the cup.

Plenty of underdogs win the cup, and lets be perfectly honest here, if we could have hand picked each rounds fixtures, which games would any of us changed?

Yesterdays game was ALL about the result, it makes no difference how you play in those games.

Pete
19-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Realistically, would have been our best chance of winning the cup since Clyde in the 40s.

Totally disagree. We are a second tier side.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2015, 04:18 PM
It is hard to accept but we are where we are...the 15th ranked team in Scotland.

Expectations really should be lowered accordingly but only temporarily. :thumbsup:

It's a fair point. Our priority has to be sustained improvement, meaning a return to the SPL. We currently have over ten thousand empty seats for most games, and spending a few years in the Championship could kill us. We've been in steady decline for almost a decade, and we have to start reversing the trend. If we don't win promotion this season, the pressure will really on next: perhaps with smaller crowds and further downsizing. We must break the cycle soon. There's a log way to travel.

Pretty Boy
19-04-2015, 04:18 PM

Clyde was 1958.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Correct. The revisionism on here sometimes amuses me!

I don't think it is correct, Hibs fielded a shocking team for a multitude of reasons and it was reflected in the score.

The club waved the white flag in the run up to the game by flogging O'Connor.

green day
19-04-2015, 04:27 PM
I don't think it is correct, Hibs fielded a shocking team for a multitude of reasons and it was reflected in the score.

Yep, but it was a great opportunity to win the cup? I.e. win the semi it was pretty much a shoo in (in my opinion).

Whereas this year, we win yesterday we are nowhere near favourites.

(If that makes sense?)

All its, buts and hoodoos now though......

Zazu62
19-04-2015, 04:28 PM

What reasons?

JimBHibees
19-04-2015, 04:29 PM
What reasons?

Injuries and suspension.

Greencore
19-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Hope ICT crush Falkirk.

Pete
19-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Injuries and suspension.

I think we started with Amadou Konte up front and put an unfit Benji on for his club debut.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-04-2015, 04:55 PM
http://youtu.be/UMCNltgrs1UAll we need to win the SC is a bit of luck and someone to eat those pesky blancmanges standing in our way...

shamo9
19-04-2015, 05:06 PM
What reasons?

Other than O'Connor sold...

Riordan was suspended and Scott Brown, Chris Killen, Boozy and Michael Stewart were injured. Probably a few more that I've forgotten. Also Benji had to make his debut when he was nowhere near ready.

We still shouldn't have lost 4-0 but Zibi did his clown party piece, not for the last time.

Pretty Boy
19-04-2015, 05:12 PM
I think we started with Amadou Konte up front and put an unfit Benji on for his club debut.

Hibs team was:

Malkowski
Caldwell
Hogg
Smith
Murphy
Whittaker
Sproule
Thomson
Glass
Fletcher
Benji

Subs:

Brown
Shields
Konte
Konde
McCluskey

We had at least 3 players playing out of position, Benji thrown in at the deep end and pretty much nothing on the bench. Sproules idiocy at 2-0 down didn't help either.

Malthibby
19-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Well done Yogi & the the Highlanders, been very fed up with the Celtic manager banging on about how happy his squad is & how the Treble was feeling more & more likely.
Get it right up ye.
GG

Bronson
19-04-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm delighted ICT got through. The sheer arrogance of everyone associated with Celtic to expect a treble as though it's their god given right makes it so much sweeter when they fail.

ICT are a good team and deserve a trophy as a reward for some of the football they've played the last couple years. Delighted for Yogi as well, you can't not like that guy. He deserves a lot of credit, doing a fine job up there.

Alfred E Newman
19-04-2015, 05:47 PM
ITC are even bigger and stronger than Falkirk , play the same hard working pressing game and it is highly unlikely we would beat them at the moment. We probably had more chance of beating Celtic who would have allowed us to play .

Jim44
19-04-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm delighted ICT got through. The sheer arrogance of everyone associated with Celtic to expect a treble as though it's their god given right makes it so much sweeter when they fail.

ICT are a good team and deserve a trophy as a reward for some of the football they've played the last couple years. Delighted for Yogi as well, you can't not like that guy. He deserves a lot of credit, doing a fine job up there.

............. And it's a relief to know that Griffithts won't have the agony of facing Hibs in the final ........ twice removed!!!!! :greengrin

emerald green
19-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Or against Rangers in 1979. Clyde in 1958 - Hibs had another heartbreak in that final, with Andy Aitken being kicked out of the game early doors and Hibs basically had to play the rest of the match with 10 men & Aitken hobbling about useless. No subs in those days.

Of course it's a bit galling.

It would have been a huge day with a massive support and a more than decent chance of actually competing to win the thing.

Inverness would have been favourites but not as clear as Celtic would have been.

Big, big chance blown.

:agree: ICT are a decent team, but far from unbeatable. Hibs, on their day, are capable of beating most teams in Scotland IMHO. I don't think there is a huge gulf between most teams in Scotland.

It doesn't matter that Hibs are in a lower league. Anything can happen in a cup tie. History has shown that time and time again.

I'm gutted and disappointed we won't get the chance.

Gerard
19-04-2015, 06:19 PM
As I see it football is a tough game that sometimes creates tough and unfair results. One day Hibs may again will have a team that is capable of winning the Scottish Cup, will have the luck you sometimes need to win games to win the Scottish Cup. There is nothing that is gained by feeling we were unlucky. Winners make their luck. ICT were very lucky that due to the refs decision not to send one of their players off and give a penalty against them that they had a chance to beat Celtic. If we had been in the place of Celtic this message board would be in melt down.
We had chances to win the game yesterday and did not take them. We still have a very good chance of getting promotion through the play offs. The team needs us as fans to support them and make this happen. We have had another 'adventure' in this league; lets get back to the top tier of football and strive to be in the place where our club should be, in the top half of the SPL challenging for Cup Silverware.:wink:

Nakedmanoncrack
19-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Clyde in '58 is one of the great myths of Hibs disasters against supposedly inferior opposition in the Scottish Cup- they finished 5 places above us in the league that season.

DH1875
19-04-2015, 06:31 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

Might as well no enter it next year either :rolleyes:

emerald green
19-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Clyde in '58 is one of the great myths of Hibs disasters against supposedly inferior opposition in the Scottish Cup- they finished 5 places above us in the league that season.

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, I at no time suggested that Clyde were any way inferior to Hibs. I personally would never be so arrogant as to dismiss ANY opposition as "inferior", especially in a cup final.

I do know though from speaking to family members and others, who were actually at that final, that they all to a man and woman, felt that time Hibs had an excellent chance of winning the trophy, mainly because they weren't playing Rangers or Celtic.

It was a disaster in as much as one of the key players in the Hibs team, Andy Aitken, was singled out for "the treatment" and was basically kicked out of the match.

YehButNoBut
19-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Didn't realise until checking just now, we have been in 10 SC finals since 1902, obviously lost them all must be a record, unfortunately one nobody wants.

Runners-up (11): 1895–96 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1895%E2%80%9396_Scottish_Cup), 1913–14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913%E2%80%9314_Scottish_Cup), 1922–23 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922%E2%80%9323_Scottish_Cup), 1923–24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923%E2%80%9324_Scottish_Cup), 1946–47 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946%E2%80%9347_Scottish_Cup), 1957–58 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957%E2%80%9358_Scottish_Cup), 1971–72 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971%E2%80%9372_Scottish_Cup), 1978–79 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2%80%9379_Scottish_Cup), 2000–01 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E2%80%9301_Scottish_Cup), 2011–12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Scottish_Cup), 2012–13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Scottish_Cup)

Canongatehibs
19-04-2015, 07:35 PM

If you honestly think Hibs would have beaten ICT in the final then you need to seriously look at the two sqauds.
Hibs would come out second best. There's little doubt about that.

Canongatehibs
19-04-2015, 07:37 PM
ITC are even bigger and stronger than Falkirk , play the same hard working pressing game and it is highly unlikely we would beat them at the moment. We probably had more chance of beating Celtic who would have allowed us to play .

Totally agree

ancient hibee
19-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Just for the avoidance of any doubt, I at no time suggested that Clyde were any way inferior to Hibs. I personally would never be so arrogant as to dismiss ANY opposition as "inferior", especially in a cup final.

I do know though from speaking to family members and others, who were actually at that final, that they all to a man and woman, felt that time Hibs had an excellent chance of winning the trophy, mainly because they weren't playing Rangers or Celtic.

It was a disaster in as much as one of the key players in the Hibs team, Andy Aitken, was singled out for "the treatment" and was basically kicked out of the match.

Most fans at the time thought we had an even chance but Clyde were a better team than us.They were also ruthless.In the league game at Easter Road Aitken and Preston were both carried off.In the final Aitken was deliberately crocked by Mike Clinton which put the scoring burden on Baker-it was too much for him.

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 07:44 PM
If you honestly think Hibs would have beaten ICT in the final then you need to seriously look at the two sqauds.
So 17000 hibs fans wasted there time yesterday?

Springbank
19-04-2015, 07:49 PM

We are very capable of beating ict

Stubbs has us on the right track

It's how the club including support reacts to set backs that will determine where we deserve to finish

Get a grip, and back Stubbs, back this team

greenlex
19-04-2015, 07:51 PM
It's just as well we didn't win yesterday. Being beaten by a diddy club in yet another final would have sent mist fans over the edge. There but for the grace of God.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Why be gutted it's Inverness when we couldn't even beat Falkirk?

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2015, 07:59 PM
We are very capable of beating ict

Stubbs has us on the right track

It's how the club including support reacts to set backs that will determine where we deserve to finish

Get a grip, and back Stubbs, back this team

Loving the logic, we lost to Falkirk!!!

Nakedmanoncrack
19-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Most fans at the time thought we had an even chance but Clyde were a better team than us.They were also ruthless.In the league game at Easter Road Aitken and Preston were both carried off.In the final Aitken was deliberately crocked by Mike Clinton which put the scoring burden on Baker-it was too much for him.

Sounds a fair assessment, but growing up with tales of eternal cup failures this one always seemed to stand out- people wrongly thinking of Clyde for what they are now. I’ve looked at the ten final defeats since 1902 and only once have we lost to a team we had shown ourselves over the course of the season to be better than; in 1946/47 we lost the final to Aberdeen who had finished 3rd, 5 points behind Hibs in 2nd place, so hardly a massive shock either. Our better teams they have tended to have their cup failures & calamities before the final.

Waxy
19-04-2015, 08:10 PM
This feels harder to take than when we losr to Celtic two years ago. Really gutted. Just going to have to face it we'll most probably not lift that cup for a long time. After the bad luck this weekend i'm now convinced it's a proper curse.

SeanWilson
19-04-2015, 08:25 PM

From what I seen in parts today, ICT are a very well drilled, decent football team... On our day, we'd be a match for them, however in some ways it would be a tougher game than Celtic as we never seem to get up for the games against the so called 'lesser' teams. I say good luck to them!!

chrisski33
19-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Tbh im glad inverness are in the final and hopefully they will gub falkirk and shut that baldy smelly tramp of a manager up! Im chuffed for yogi too!

Sir David Gray
19-04-2015, 08:41 PM
From what I seen in parts today, ICT are a very well drilled, decent football team... On our day, we'd be a match for them, however in some ways it would be a tougher game than Celtic as we never seem to get up for the games against the so called 'lesser' teams. I say good luck to them!!

Hibs' last 20 results against Celtic;

W-2
D-4
L-14

Hibs' last 20 results against Inverness;

W-5
D-5
L-10

Based on those figures, we are 2.5 times more likely to beat Inverness than Celtic.

Playing Inverness would certainly have been a difficult game and we would have been the underdog against them but it would be a lot easier than the prospect of playing Celtic.

SeanWilson
19-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Hibs' last 20 results against Celtic;

W-2
D-4
L-14

Hibs' last 20 results against Inverness;

W-5
D-5
L-10

Based on those figures, we are 2.5 times more likely to beat Inverness than Celtic.

Playing Inverness would certainly have been a difficult game and we would have been the underdog against them but it would be a lot easier than the prospect of playing Celtic.

:-D alright smart arse!

Clearly in the grand scheme of things, Celtic are far more likely to turn us over than ICT... It's just an opinion.

Going on yesterday's stats, we should have turned Falkirk over... Unfortunately not the outcome.

Hermit Crab
19-04-2015, 08:50 PM
:-D alright smart a r s e!

Clearly in the grand scheme of things, Celtic are far more likely to turn us over than ICT... It's just an opinion.

Going yesterday's stats, we should have turned Falkirk over yesterday.... Unfortunately not the outcome.

Not based on this seasons stats we shouldn't have. :confused:

SeanWilson
19-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Not based on this seasons stats we shouldn't have. :confused:

Clearly - I meant the in game stats yesterday.

Thecat23
19-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Just seen this.. Wasn't meant to be clearly

http://bbc.in/1bcBgy0

Andy74
19-04-2015, 09:22 PM

You need to look at the squads and results of the 2 semi finals!

marleyhib
19-04-2015, 09:24 PM

For a minute yeh then remembered we lost yesterday to Falkirk so it makes no odds. If we'd won Celtic would have no doubt won too :-)

Turkish Green
19-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Watching both semis, it was very clear which were the Premiership teams and which were from the Championship.

We need to get our heads around the fact that Hibs are just a Championship team and likely to stay one for another season. ICT under Yogi are far ahead of Hibs in all sectors.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2015, 09:45 PM
All this chat about us having no chance of beating iCT yet when we played Dundee United in October when they were first or 2nd in the league we played really well and got a draw.

How could it not have been te same or a wee bit better vs ICT?

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2015, 09:47 PM
All this chat about us having no chance of beating iCT yet when we played Dundee United in October when they were first or 2nd in the league we played really well and got a draw.

How could it not have been te same or a wee bit better vs ICT?

Because we coukdn't beat Falkirk!

HibsMax
19-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Whether or not we're the finished article, we would still have had a better chance against ICT.I'm not saying we would have won, that would be silly, but I still reckon our chances would have been better.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2015, 09:50 PM

When we played Dundee Utd off the park back in October, it came just a couple of weeks after we were held to a 0-0 draw at home against Dumbarton.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2015, 09:55 PM
When we played Dundee Utd off the park back in October, it came just a couple of weeks after we were held to a 0-0 draw at home against Dumbarton.

And playing Falkirk came just after beating Hertz!

mca
19-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Thought the Jambo in Goals had a Great Game.. And We had too many chances..

cleanyman
19-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Watched the highlights.

Still gutted.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Think you've missed the point. It's hypothetical.

If we had got to the final we couldn't have beaten ICT cos we can't beat Falkirk?

cabbageandribs1875
19-04-2015, 10:04 PM
bravely watched the 4 min highlights, wtf was dylan doing at that goal, need to learn to attack the ball wee man, not turn your back on it

California-Hibs
19-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Don't kid yourself on that there wasn't a massive bit of fortune involved with their win yesterday. There was!

cleanyman
19-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Don't kid yourself on that there wasn't a massive bit of fortune involved with their win yesterday. There was!

Battered them three times this season and haven't won.

Soul destroying.

The Green Goblin
19-04-2015, 10:27 PM

Agree, plus, iirc, there were quite a few posters on here over the last few weeks who were just assuming we would beat Falkirk. Nothing is a given. We have to focus on promotion now.

Real Emerald
19-04-2015, 10:38 PM
There is a problem with the final ball, crosses etc. but we really do carry no luck at all. It just seems to go on and on. Bad decisions from rfefs, hitting woodwork, opposition players getting red cards after the games. I can't recall any real breaks we've had in the last few years. The last real bit of luck was Hanlon's goal against the pars to make it 4 nil when it didn't matter. Mind I had a couple of quid on 4 nil so not complaining.

Waxy
19-04-2015, 11:01 PM
I'd also have felt better had Falkirk gave us a game. But they didnt. We pumped them all over the park.if Fyvies shot was a single ounce harder it would have gone in. That Mcdonald was sent from another world to annoy us.

Billy Mac
20-04-2015, 12:56 AM
Good luck Yogi in the final, gutted after the semi here, well done Falkirk but the Huns 'we are the people' song was odd, give THAT a rest and if you give us any comeback on Hail Hail singing, Hibs formed 1875, Tic' 1888, Hibs helped create Glasgow's Celtic and the song Hail Hail the Pope's in Jail' was a bigoted song turned on it's head by Hibs and Celtic fans.Have a word wi' yersel's Rangers/Hearts/Falkirk/Dundee/Killie bigoted oddbods obsessed with religion.

Pete
20-04-2015, 02:21 AM
The slight feeling of regret about yesterday's result (we would have had a slightly better chance in the final had we beat Falkirk) has been more than overshadowed by laughter at Celtic losing.

Apparently they lost because of institutional bigotry. The proddies dont want Celtic to win the treble so the ref cheated. This final without Celtic will be boring and the world won't care therefore Scottish football will suffer. The final won't sell out and if it does it won't be real fans. Inverness kicked us and it wasn't fair. Falkirk would have preferred to play Celtic instead. Hibs and Falkirk ruined the pitch...

Any final which doesn't involve one of the uglies is a good thing. Good luck to whoever wins as the trophy won't be simlpy tossed in the back of the wardrobe and the winners will have a decent parade. Club legends will be made and maybe the clubs might gain one or two extra fans that would ordinarily have just supported a Glasgow club like their mates.

Honestly, imagine being that hacked off and bitter because your team only won two trophies in a season instead of three. We could do without these muppets.

PeeJay
20-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Whether or not we're the finished article, we would still have had a better chance against ICT.I'm not saying we would have won, that would be silly, but I still reckon our chances would have been better.

Well, ultimately on any given day, it's only 11 against 11 and there's only one ball (etc.) - so a chance is always there, I suppose. However, IC are having a decent season in the top flight, so I think overall they are a better team than the Falkirk one we played on Saturday, so I'm not quite sure why you think our chances would have been improved against them. It's all academic now, I guess....

Spike Mandela
20-04-2015, 05:51 AM
Surely the irony can't be lost on everyone that we are talking about a team largely built up and progressed by Butcher then honed and built upon by Yogi.

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Think you've missed the point. It's hypothetical.

If we had got to the final we couldn't have beaten ICT cos we can't beat Falkirk?

No I haven't missed the point at all but thanks for trying to explain how I might have.

lyonhibs
20-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Good luck Yogi in the final, gutted after the semi here, well done Falkirk but the Huns 'we are the people' song was odd, give THAT a rest and if you give us any comeback on Hail Hail singing, Hibs formed 1875, Tic' 1888, Hibs helped create Glasgow's Celtic and the song Hail Hail the Pope's in Jail' was a bigoted song turned on it's head by Hibs and Celtic fans.Have a word wi' yersel's Rangers/Hearts/Falkirk/Dundee/Killie bigoted oddbods obsessed with religion.

Falkirk fans sing "we are the steeple " and a quick look at their club badge explains why.

Automatically linking that tune to that song and thus those singing it are bigots is indicative of a problem with religion in itself....

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2015, 07:09 AM
No I haven't missed the point at all but thanks for trying to explain how I might have.

Your point is above my intellect then.

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Your point is above my intellect then.

I doubt any point I make would be above your intellect mate, I get your hypothetical slant and maybe never explained my point properly. However it's a new week, a new game ahead, so I have written of all thoughts of the weekend. Onwards and upwards we go....hopefully.

Ronniekirk
20-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Surely the irony can't be lost on everyone that we are talking about a team largely built up and progressed by Butcher then honed and built upon by Yogi.
Had that very conversation with my son yesterday.!but am now starting to look forward to Wednesday's game to get that one out my system .

AndyM_1875
20-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Inverness will win the cup and good luck to them. Was delighted they beat Celtc.

Sad to say but they would have won it regardless of who they played from Falkirk and Hibs. They are a hardened top 6 SPL side that has been well run for years.

SneakersO'Toole
20-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Given the draws we received in the SC this year and the potential opponents for winning our semi final, I doubt we will have a more favourable way of winning this damn cup for a long, long time.

Golden opportunity well and truly lost.

weecounty hibby
20-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Best chance we had was when we got beat by Dundee Utd in the semi under Mowbray. Celtic had lost the league on the last day of the season to the hun and Martin O'Neill just announced that he was leaving. They were a certainty to get beat that day. 1-0 up as well and them Murphy had to go off injured. That one still irritates me most. This year is a sore one as well but then again the last 113 have all been sore ones. It will happen one day!!!

S4uzee
20-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Given the draws we received in the SC this year and the potential opponents for winning our semi final, I doubt we will have a more favourable way of winning this damn cup for a long, long time.

Golden opportunity well and truly lost.

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely gutting

emerald green
20-04-2015, 12:42 PM

:agree: That ties in with what I was told AH, especially the bit in bold, although I don't recall being told Clyde were a better team than Hibs! :greengrin

The Green Goblin
21-04-2015, 01:03 AM
Best chance we had was when we got beat by Dundee Utd in the semi under Mowbray. Celtic had lost the league on the last day of the season to the hun and Martin O'Neill just announced that he was leaving. They were a certainty to get beat that day. 1-0 up as well and them Murphy had to go off injured. That one still irritates me most. This year is a sore one as well but then again the last 113 have all been sore ones. It will happen one day!!!

Didn't Mowbray take off both Riordan and O Connor that day? Not what you might think of doing normally if you needed a couple of goals...... Still no idea why he did that.

Cod Boy
21-04-2015, 07:29 AM

They weren't singing we are the people.They
sing we are the steeple which is a famous landmark in Falkirk and
is part of there badge

snooky
21-04-2015, 09:28 AM

Don't get me started! I've never liked Mowbray since that day. He blew it big time and, even after all these years, I'm still raging.
Murph got injured so TM moved Glass to full back. Up to then SG had be totally dominating midfield. IIRC, Thommo (LM) was just back from a long injury and was starting to struggle. Mowbray in his wisdom brought on Ivan to play wide right (his debut, I think). This left our midfield bare as a badger's. The Arabs just walked right through us unchallenged. Probably the worst tactical decision I've ever seen in my entire life. Buffoon.
As you say, to rub salt in the wound, Celtc were there for the taking.
:grr::grr::grr:

CropleyWasGod
21-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Cough.

It was "We are the steeple".

I thought it was quite funny, TBH.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Don't get me started! I've never liked Mowbray since that day. He blew it big time and, even after all these years, I'm still raging.
Murph got injured so TM moved Glass to full back. Up to then SG had be totally dominating midfield. IIRC, Thommo (LM) was just back from a long injury and was starting to struggle. Mowbray in his wisdom brought on Ivan to play wide right (his debut, I think). This left our midfield bare as a badger's. The Arabs just walked right through us unchallenged. Probably the worst tactical decision I've ever seen in my entire life. Buffoon.
As you say, to rub salt in the wound, Celtc were there for the taking.
:grr::grr::grr:

I tell you what bloody annoyed me about that decision, it was the other players on the pitch that seemed to me to completely ignore Sproule.

He was in acres of space so many times, but the other players looked like they did not rate him AT ALL, and intentionally would take the other option rather than the right option which was give him the ball.

JimBHibees
21-04-2015, 12:13 PM
I tell you what bloody annoyed me about that decision, it was the other players on the pitch that seemed to me to completely ignore Sproule.

He was in acres of space so many times, but the other players looked like they did not rate him AT ALL, and intentionally would take the other option rather than the right option which was give him the ball.

Yep can remember Caldwell in particular on more than one occasion refusing to pass to Ivan. A few weeks later Ivan was ripping Celtic apart at Parkhead coming off the bench.

snooky
21-04-2015, 01:51 PM

:agree: 100% & I agree with JBH above that Captain Calamity was the main perpetrator by far.