PDA

View Full Version : the last third of the pitch

eastcoasthibby
19-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Just watched the game on playback and in my view our biggest problem is the amount of wrong decisions and poor cross balls into the box whether from the byeline or rountine balls in, we also don't get them in early enough or past the first defender. Then after we manage to get the ball in we are to static as the defenders have had time to get back in and the positioning, desire and actual finishing of our strikers is lacking sharpness ...badly and in my view it's been like that all season not taking chances.
Let's not rest it all on the forwards as we have a midfield and forward line who are far too reluctant to pull the trigger and have a shot, preferring to overplay the passing game and let defenders get better positioned to make a challenge or position themselves. Whilst i love the ability we have available in our midfield players, I think they play one dimensionally too often, at times one of the will get into a forward position and make that extra person and make a difference, but i don't think it's natural to any of them that are playing regularly, Stanton can do it and Craig did it at ST Johnstone, but no one does it regularly in the team just now.( Hence the lack of goals from that area)
We really do lack pace when we are in the last third, our strikers don't have that half yard burst to get themselves away or that shot away and are not IMO sharp enough or quick footed to pose a problem on the ground either.
I counted in the first half yesterday 9 poor quality balls into the box or poor positioning of our strikers when the ball gets there( gave up counting the second half). IMO that reflects most of the games this season..
AS has what he has at his disposal this season and most of it player wise is very decent quality, but I am sure he will be looking at what we do in that last third as being the costly part this season, because if we had taken a 20% of our chances this season then losing the odd stupid goals in games wouldn't have mattered as we would score 3-4 per game !!

So let's get on and hope that our last third play is more clinical in the run in and we can get ourselves up and if not I am sure AS will get in what we need on the playing side to make sure we get up next season.

spike220
19-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Just watched the game on playback and in my view our biggest problem is the amount of wrong decisions and poor cross balls into the box whether from the byeline or rountine balls in, we also don't get them in early enough or past the first defender. Then after we manage to get the ball in we are to static as the defenders have had time to get back in and the positioning, desire and actual finishing of our strikers is lacking sharpness ...badly and in my view it's been like that all season not taking chances.
Let's not rest it all on the forwards as we have a midfield and forward line who are far too reluctant to pull the trigger and have a shot, preferring to overplay the passing game and let defenders get better positioned to make a challenge or position themselves. Whilst i love the ability we have available in our midfield players, I think they play one dimensionally too often, at times one of the will get into a forward position and make that extra person and make a difference, but i don't think it's natural to any of them that are playing regularly, Stanton can do it and Craig did it at ST Johnstone, but no one does it regularly in the team just now.( Hence the lack of goals from that area)
We really do lack pace when we are in the last third, our strikers don't have that half yard burst to get themselves away or that shot away and are not IMO sharp enough or quick footed to pose a problem on the ground either.
I counted in the first half yesterday 9 poor quality balls into the box or poor positioning of our strikers when the ball gets there( gave up counting the second half). IMO that reflects most of the games this season..
AS has what he has at his disposal this season and most of it player wise is very decent quality, but I am sure he will be looking at what we do in that last third as being the costly part this season, because if we had taken a 20% of our chances this season then losing the odd stupid goals in games wouldn't have mattered as we would score 3-4 per game !!

So let's get on and hope that our last third play is more clinical in the run in and we can get ourselves up and if not I am sure AS will get in what we need on the playing side to make sure we get up next season.

Good post and not a lot to disagree with.

PPZPOL
19-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Someone who has actually watched back the game and has came up with some valid points and feedback about our play....it'll never catch on.

Been saying for some time we need to get midfielders beyond the front men more to cause teams problems who are sitting in against us. If that means forwards making intelligent runs to pull defenders out of areas to create spaces for these mid runs so be it. I'm not a Chelsea (or a Man City) lover but Frank Lampard desire to get into the box is ridiculous (especially when he was at too of his game), will make countless runs into dangerous areas to get on end of things. Nightmare to play against and gives defenders a dilemma of who to pick up if his runner doesn't go with him. No surprise he has scored so many goals.

Loads of positives in our play (throughout the season) but loads to work on also. I'm fairly certain the things discussed are not being missed by a team of staff who have good experience in the game.

Yesterday was hard to take but we're not the first team to lose a game we have dominated and won't be the last, was also a shame it was a semi final where emotions are running high.

O'Rourke3
19-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Our best period this year came when the midfield and the centre backs broke though to give opposition defenders more difficulties. With no Gray we play 5-3-2 and unless the wingbacks are pacey we have to go through the middle. Scotty had a shot yesterday. Fraser 2 and a fresh air swipe from Dylan. Craig and Stanton would have offered more goal threat but wouldn't have bossed the game as much. We have the team, the game plan!an but not always got the mix right. I wouldn't have started a different 11 yesterday. Even the wrist slashers must have thought "that'll do" but the best team didn't win and we need too find the mental strength to win. That probably starts from the back.

PPZPOL
19-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Spot on O'Rourke with all your points.

I actually commented before the game in the warm up that its the most confident I'd been before a game at Hampden due to our starting 11 (coupled with the fact they had Loy and Baird unavailable).