PDA

View Full Version : How costly was today?

Hibs1992
18-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Wednesday night will give us a good indication of whether Stubbs and the squad will allow todays result to drage the season down and cost us a good chance at promotion.

We still have a good chance of going up because Sevco are no great shakes and we should beat QOS over 2 legs if required. Motherwell are a decent enough team but if we can keep playing to the best of our ability we are good enough to go up.

I am worried that the players/supporters will have a hangover from todays disappointment despite playing reasonably well. We have no time to be feeling sorry for ourselves we need to get right back up for the promotion fight and get 9/9 points and hope that is enough to get 2nd place.

We probably would not have won the Scottish Cup anyway so we need to stick at it and give the team our support to get back into the play off final and hopefully get promoted.

:flag:

Sammy7nil
18-04-2015, 10:31 PM
It is not only about today the clubs rapid and prolonged decline since Mowbray has cost the club THOUSNDS of fans and they aint coming back. The mismanagement of this club has been truly astounding :rolleyes:

coco22
18-04-2015, 10:34 PM
To be honest, today was hugely disappointing but is questionable what happens now. My concern is that we can't sustain a decent level of performance for 6 matches without an unlucky defeat or stale performance. We had a good undefeated run but don't think we have it in us to raise it again. Hope I'm wrong.

spike220
19-04-2015, 04:00 AM
It is not only about today the clubs rapid and prolonged decline since Mowbray has cost the club THOUSNDS of fans and they aint coming back. The mismanagement of this club has been truly astounding :rolleyes:

I doubt you could call them fans, if they are now sitting in pubs cheering on Man City!

eastcoasthibby
19-04-2015, 06:34 AM
unfortunately i think this loss will be costly in so many ways financially, mentally, we will miss out on signings (as i can't see us getting promoted), lose more supporters (as that game was there for the taking, poor decisions in last third and woeful finishing), further belief that we have no bottle, ( think some of it today was no luck).
That again will affect our club rebuilding ,,,, for all of the above ,,,we just can't get it right at the crucial points in a season and in matches ....

Nameless
19-04-2015, 06:51 AM
we should beat QOS over 2 legs if required. Motherwell are a decent enough team but if we can keep playing to the best of our ability we are good enough to go up.

I think your post, while well meaning, is indicative of the over confidence that has pervaded our support this season.

Lee Marvin
19-04-2015, 06:51 AM
About £1 million in cup final revenue
About 500-1k extra season tickets
Probably our 'better' players like Fyvie and Fontaine
A further divide from the daytripping fans and the club
A chance to win the Scottish cup
A chance for another cracking day out (excluding the 90mins do course)
Confidence that our club has actually changed that much and can actually get promoted

Probably more but I'm hungover and can be bothered typing anymore

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-04-2015, 06:56 AM
It is not all about yesterday, but yesterday was our season summed up in 90 minutes. We are like a boxer with a glass jaw. One decent hit puts us down and we stay down. The quality of the players is not in question.

Sammy7nil
19-04-2015, 07:02 AM
I doubt you could call them fans, if they are now sitting in pubs cheering on Man City!

They were fans they were ST holders who are now lost

Golden Bear
19-04-2015, 07:05 AM
It is not all about yesterday, but yesterday was our season summed up in 90 minutes. We are like a boxer with a glass jaw. One decent hit puts us down and we stay down. The quality of the players is not in question.

These three sentences almost contradict each other.

I thought we played well up to a point yesterday but over the piece the team still don't carve out enough chances.

Scottie
19-04-2015, 07:12 AM
That's he exact statement a chap at the airport said to me last night on the way home.

Great to watch but you knew it was coming the sucker punch.

Hibrandenburg
19-04-2015, 07:18 AM
These three sentences almost contradict each other.

I thought we played well up to a point yesterday but over the piece the team still don't carve out enough chances.

Think the comparison is actually quite good. What's the point in battering your opponent for 10 rounds only to be KO'd in the 11th?

The_Exile
19-04-2015, 07:21 AM
To be honest, if someone had said to me we'd make the semi at the start of the season I'd have lobbied for them to be sectioned. I doubt there was too much planned around final cash really. Next 3 games are bigger for the club than yesterdays.

Waxy
19-04-2015, 07:28 AM
We only got to the semi because we had the easiest draw in our history.We're not ready to win it.
Should have won it in 1979.anyone got a recording of the stonewall penalty or did the SFA erase it from existance?

Canon Hannan
19-04-2015, 07:32 AM

I don't expect us to go up either. I like Stubbsy and what he has brought to the club - hope, energy, attacking players and a team.
It will take time and money Yes he made tactical mistakes yesterday but it will come good -he is a rookie. Our previous issues/problems and lackof success have burdened Stubbsy. After a major disappointment I didn't want to comment yesterday but now a new day so here goes. Stubbs is a new rookie manager and makes mistakes. He is learning. We might not even go up this season. But I am ok with him. The fans support him. You can hear them at the end walking away, I felt that too. He has brought in new players and trying to build a team long term. He has brought a feel good factor to a club who were in serious rebellion. He has a small budget but brought in quality, a small squad but I have to say very good players. The Hearts game proved the team can play. Yes we were unlucky yesterday and never played in the first half, yes we missed our right back Gray and yes we should have played dJeje instead of the unfit striker. But Stubbs through time Will get us to where we want. Rome wasn't built in a day, Ferguson took 3 or 4 years at a United and a footballer manager can't just walk in and magic up a great team unless he has serious money.

Scottie
19-04-2015, 07:36 AM
We only got to the semi because we had the easiest draw in our history.We're not ready to win it.
Should have won it in 1979.anyone got a recording of the stonewall penalty or did the SFA erase it from existance?
:confused: Never know a team in existence more ready to win it. 113 years and counting. Not ready ma arse.:rolleyes:
We had our best chance again yesterday to get to another final and blew it.

Islington Hibs
19-04-2015, 07:37 AM
:top marks
I don't expect us to go up either. I like Stubbsy and what he has brought to the club - hope, energy, attacking players and a team.
It will take time and money Yes he made tactical mistakes yesterday but it will come good -he is a rookie. Our previous issues/problems and lackof success have burdened Stubbsy. After a major disappointment I didn't want to comment yesterday but now a new day so here goes. Stubbs is a new rookie manager and makes mistakes. He is learning. We might not even go up this season. But I am ok with him. The fans support him. You can hear them at the end walking away, I felt that too. He has brought in new players and trying to build a team long term. He has brought a feel good factor to a club who were in serious rebellion. He has a small budget but brought in quality, a small squad but I have to say very good players. The Hearts game proved the team can play. Yes we were unlucky yesterday and never played in the first half, yes we missed our right back Gray and yes we should have played dJeje instead of the unfit striker. But Stubbs through time Will get us to where we want. Rome wasn't built in a day, Ferguson took 3 or 4 years at a United and a footballer manager can't just walk in and magic up a great team unless he has serious money.

great post.:top marks:top marks

green day
19-04-2015, 07:55 AM
:confused: Never know a team in existence more ready to win it. 113 years and counting. Not ready ma arse.:rolleyes:
We had our best chance again yesterday to get to another final and blew it.

What we want and what we can achieve are very different things.

As I said on another thread, I am not happy to lose the semi, but can you imagine what would happen if we got to the final and were rogered? That could set us back massively given the weight of expectation on this club and this competition.

Wind back 9 months and if you were offered a cup run culminating in a semi, another cup run taking a top performing premier team to penalties, into the play offs to potentially gain promotion, to compete properly in all the derbies over a season - in all seriousness, would you or any other hibby have said that was in any way possible?

I know I couldnt.

I cant speak for anyone but me, but I am very very positive about our club right now - regardless of where we are playing next season.

Again, compared to 9 months ago, that we are even feeling pissed off about not making the cup final tells its own story about how much Stubbs, Dempster et al have dragged us up.

:flag:

Golden Bear
19-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Think the comparison is actually quite good. What's the point in battering your opponent for 10 rounds only to be KO'd in the 11th?

On the other hand, possessing a strong and winning mindset is part of the makeup of a quality player(s) and I'm not convinced we currently have enough of these players in the team. Undoubtedly the quality of the player pool is improving but we're not there yet.

emerald green
19-04-2015, 11:09 AM
But Stubbs through time Will get us to where we want. Rome wasn't built in a day, Ferguson took 3 or 4 years at a United and a footballer manager can't just walk in and magic up a great team unless he has serious money.

I know you cannot seriously be comparing Hibs with Manchester United? The resources and fan base are (and were when Ferguson took over at Old Trafford) like night and day.

Anyway, besides that, where is the "serious money" going to come from to build a great team at Hibernian FC? How much would you say would amount to "serious money"?

PS: Although not budgeted for presumably, the club just lost out on a substantial sum of money by failing to win a game Hibs really should have won yesterday, but yet again didn't.

I would imagine the Hibs board and CEO, along with everyone connected to the club, will be very disappointed with that loss of potential extra income which would have been very welcome in helping the manger build for next season, whichever league HFC finds itself in.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2015, 11:13 AM
[/B]I know you cannot seriously be comparing Hibs with Manchester United? The resources and fan base are (and were when Ferguson took over at Old Trafford) like night and day.

Anyway, besides that, where is the "serious money" going to come from to build a great team at Hibernian FC? How much would you say would amount to "serious money"?

PS: Although not budgeted for presumably, the club just lost out on a substantial sum of money by failing to win a game Hibs really should have won yesterday, but yet again didn't.

I would imagine the Hibs board and CEO, along with everyone connected to the club, will be very disappointed with that loss of potential extra income which would have been very welcome in helping the manger build for next season, whichever league HFC finds itself in.

:agree:

Money that would have came from folk that don't normally go, so its not a real loss and like their support shouldn't really be missed.

Gerard
19-04-2015, 11:19 AM
If only we had won yesterday there would have been more revenue for our club and another chance to win the Scottish Cup. The Scottish Cup allows clubs of all sizes to have a chance to win it. The club still has a chance to win promotion and we need to support the team and try and make that happen. Alan Stubbs has had one season to try and make our club better. There is still much work that needs to be done and that takes time. We need to give him at least another full season and then we can evaluate the progress that he has made in Hibs.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Missing out on the final is a financial loss, but that kind of game is just a bonus. Whether yesterday has knocked the stuffing out of the team will be seen at Livi. Returning to the SPL is much more important than the cup, so lets have no self-pity but go all out to finish second.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Any Hibs fan could have made that statement over the last 5 years. Yesterday we took 17,000 fans to a cup semi which was live on the telly with a daft kick off time. The fans are there and will come back if and when we get back to the level we should be at ... yes perhaps we will lose some older fans who have just lost their mojo .... but there was thousands of kids at that game yesterday and they will be the ones who will step up in the years to come.

Just as long as they stay off here .... There is a line to be crossed where criticism of the team and club, justified or not stops being that and starts being utterly non productive. There are too many folk IMO who seem to delight in predicting the demise of the club and who lap up disappointments like yesterday as if it were manna from heaven.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2015, 12:35 PM
In terms of what is left of our season it will depend on Alan Stubbs ability to raise the moral of the team. In the cold light of day we didn't do a lot wrong yesterday and I'm sure the manager will be pointing that out to the players. We have the ability to beat any of the teams we will have to play in the next 6 weeks ...... we are not certain to win any game, but we always go in with a chance.

If there is an up side to yesterday its that we are only fighting on one front now and everything can be thrown into it.

In financial terms there is no doubt that losing cost us a small fortune in revenue from a cup final and bigger season ticket sales, but that can be rectified at a stroke if we can go up. I just hope the natural disappointment from yesterday doesn't cost the club support in the play offs. When we got back to the bus yesterday one of the first topics discussed was a bus to Ibrox if we end up playing them ... if it comes to that I know I'll be on it.

Folk are annoyed that we didn't make a cup final yesterday ....... well we have the possibility of three of them in the weeks to come, so lets put this behind us and support the team .... we have everything to play for.