PDA

View Full Version : Charity collection - Unison?

Kaff
18-04-2015, 09:06 PM
In the scheme of today's proceedings this is a little thing that perplexed me and I could be totally wrong but why would a union (that fulfill a number of worthwhile roles I'm sure) be given the obvious huge financial benefit of the bucket collection before today's game? If it was purely for charitable use fair enough but I have to admit not donating as I don't feel it was fitting. Anyone have any background on it?

Colr
18-04-2015, 09:26 PM
In the scheme of today's proceedings this is a little thing that perplexed me and I could be totally wrong but why would a union (that fulfill a number of worthwhile roles I'm sure) be given the obvious huge financial benefit of the bucket collection before today's game? If it was purely for charitable use fair enough but I have to admit not donating as I don't feel it was fitting. Anyone have any background on it?

Its to get you used to paying more of your wages over when Labour win the election.

Kaff
18-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Its to get you used to paying more of your wages over when Labour win the election.

Haha, politics will take our minds of the game

hibee-boys
18-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Never noticed, what union was it? They'd have not got a penny from me anyway.

Danderhall Hibs
18-04-2015, 10:17 PM

Thread title?...

Kaff
18-04-2015, 10:18 PM

Unison, I'm not against unions but didnt think it was right they got the opportunity ahead of a charity. They were handing out leaflets but a day at the football isn't a political thing for me so never took one of them

Danderhall Hibs
18-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Unison, I'm not against unions but didnt think it was right they got the opportunity ahead of a charity. They were handing out leaflets but a day at the football isn't a political thing for me so never took one of them

The leaflet was about strike action being taken by Council workers (I think). Didn't see any buckets, just leaflets.

Kaff
18-04-2015, 10:30 PM
The leaflet was about strike action being taken by Council workers (I think). Didn't see any buckets, just leaflets.

Thanks, I definitely saw buckets. On walk down to where West stand meets North and down Battlefield road on walk up to East stand

iwasthere1972
18-04-2015, 10:38 PM
I'm not for not giving to charities but I feel that we have buckets waved at us at every opportunity. All very well if they just stand there but a lot of the charity workers shake the buckets making you feel obliged to donate even when you don't know what the charity Is. At t he derby match I saw one collector with a bucket which wasn't even one of the sealed ones. It was basically just an open bucket. Right or wrong I thought no sod that.

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2015, 12:27 AM
I don't mind donating to striking staff protesting against this vile government trying to abolish workers' right and effectively ban industrial action. I appreciate I may be in the minority there though.

Jack
19-04-2015, 08:54 AM
I've all but given up giving to charities. I just don't know where or how the money is being spent without a fair bit of research.

A way round this has been to stick to Hibs oriented causes, Kick a Kid which has started collecting for next season; Dnipro; Hibs Ladies etc. even Hibs themselves through the Lotto!!!!!!

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2015, 09:04 AM
I've all but given up giving to charities. I just don't know where or how the money is being spent without a fair bit of research.

A way round this has been to stick to Hibs oriented causes, Kick a Kid which has started collecting for next season; Dnipro; Hibs Ladies etc. even Hibs themselves through the Lotto!!!!!!

Kick a kid doesn't sound very charitable to me. :wink:

Hibs Class
19-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Kick a kid doesn't sound very charitable to me. :wink:

:faf::faf::faf:

StevieC
19-04-2015, 09:41 AM

There's a couple of urchins at the end of my street that could benefit from that charity.

Colr
19-04-2015, 10:00 AM

There seems to be an explosion of charities looking for you "just £2 a month". There are loads of ads on the tube some of them for rather obscure or niche issues but always with the ubiquitous doe eyed child to tug the heart strings.

A cynic would wonder how much the chief execs of these charities pay themselves.

DH1875
19-04-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm not for not giving to charities but I feel that we have buckets waved at us at every opportunity. All very well if they just stand there but a lot of the charity workers shake the buckets making you feel obliged to donate even when you don't know what the charity Is. At t he derby match I saw one collector with a bucket which wasn't even one of the sealed ones. It was basically just an open bucket. Right or wrong I thought no sod that.

Their no allowed to shake the buckets. They can ask but only IF they have something to give in return ie: badges, ribbons, pins etc... This is because allowed as its seen as them selling you something. If they don't have anything,they can't ask as its seen as begging. Thin lines and all that.
Also, buckets should always be sealed.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2015, 10:15 AM
I don't mind donating to striking staff protesting against this vile government trying to abolish workers' right and effectively ban industrial action. I appreciate I may be in the minority there though.

Agreed. The Tories have promised even further limits on the right to strike if they are re-elected. It's a fundamental attack upon life in a free country.

DH1875
19-04-2015, 10:18 AM
There seems to be an explosion of charities looking for you "just £2 a month". There are loads of ads on the tube some of them for rather obscure or niche issues but always with the ubiquitous doe eyed child to tug the heart strings.

A cynic would wonder how much the chief execs of these charities pay themselves.

The plus side about buckets is that its a one off donation and you don't sign up to anything or give out bank details.

Eyrie
19-04-2015, 12:33 PM

It would be worthwhile to check the size of some of the charities, which would put their remuneration and responsibilities in perspective.

lucky
19-04-2015, 12:35 PM

100% correct

puff the dragon
19-04-2015, 09:40 PM
No money to striking skivers.

grangemouth killed the unions in this country a couple of years ago.

anyone who strikes should expect to be fired.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Their no allowed to shake the buckets. They can ask but only IF they have something to give in return ie: badges, ribbons, pins etc... This is because allowed as its seen as them selling you something. If they don't have anything,they can't ask as its seen as begging. Thin lines and all that.
Also, buckets should always be sealed.

Passive street begging is not illegal in Scotland though.

wookie70
19-04-2015, 10:13 PM

I am sure you will be handing back all those hard earned working rights you have due to the suffering of those that went before you, many won by strike action, sometimes even selfless strike action. Striking is a right for the working man and one of the few ways he can protect himself from exploitative employers who are growing in number since Thatcher started and then Labour follwed dismantling TU rights.

Unfortunately, your attitude which is shown by many who have been fooled by red tops and anti trade union main stream media will see the working man return to what we had in Victorian times which was more akin to slavery than working.

Of course you could be an owner of a business and then having compliant and fearful workers are a profitable commodity in which case I can understand your attitude.

Bishop Hibee
19-04-2015, 10:51 PM

I hope this is a wind up. If not it is the most ill informed, mindless and stupid post I've read on here.

lucky
19-04-2015, 11:01 PM

You sir are a fool. The TU movement is alive and kicking. Get yourself along to Ayr racecourse Monday-- Wednesday and hear and see the Scottish trade unions at our congress. Then come back on here and making a sweeping statement against TUs when you've actually interacted with them rather than believing the Sun or the Daily Mail

Nakedmanoncrack
20-04-2015, 12:53 AM

Genuine contender for most idiotic post of the day, well done.

Hibby Bairn
20-04-2015, 07:34 AM
How is this thread still on the main forum?

Hibernia&Alba
20-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Dearie me, if this is serious, I need Steve's shocked eagle smiley. Where to begin with such remarks.....

DH1875
21-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Passive street begging is not illegal in Scotland though.

Maybe, but thems the rules. Charities also need to get a street licence or the OK from the council or land owner/shop owner before they can do a collection. They can't just turn up on Princes St. Don't think the homeless person begging needs to worry about that.