PDA

View Full Version : John Beaton

Carheenlea
18-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Great game from the referee today - his two terrific interceptions to scupper Hibs attacks were textbook.

brianmc
18-04-2015, 03:14 PM
He certainly had a better first touch than some of our players.

JimBHibees
18-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Great game from the referee today - his two terrific interceptions to scupper Hibs attacks were textbook.

Yep a joke. 3 mins added time when Falkirk were kicking the ball away unpunished after the goal.

Boyle89
18-04-2015, 03:28 PM
His decisions were fine but to get in the way of play twice on the big hampden pitch is shocking.

wookie70
18-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Was John Beaton the Falkirk trialist. Thought he propbably did enough to win a contract. The second great interception wasn't too far before the Bairns goal so he can also put that on his CV.

One of the biggest parks in Scotland and he was makeing lung busting runs to get in the way and break up play.

Stokesy's on fire
18-04-2015, 03:41 PM
He had a howler but never mind him

gegs70
18-04-2015, 03:43 PM
End of the day we had several chances we didn't take them....

Mark79
18-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Conveniently a ref has shocker and spfl dont have a fixture backlog. Just saying.

Greenwich_Hibby
18-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Not down to the ref that we didn't win - that's down to us, we didn't score from numerous chances.

hibsfan7
18-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Clown from the start to the finish

danhibees1875
18-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Was frustrating at the time, but at the end of the day whoever made the pass (Allan then Stevenson? ) should have just not hit him with it.

Carheenlea
18-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Obviously no malice intended, but just summed up our bad luck on the day.

hibee62
18-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Was frustrating at the time, but at the end of the day whoever made the pass (Allan then Stevenson? ) should have just not hit him with it.

While there was no malice, I don't think, on Beaton's part, he was nowhere near the line of the pass when Allan/fyvie chose to make it. He ran across the line, the second even more so than the first. Not the players fault and utterly incompetent refereeing.

eastterrace
18-04-2015, 08:04 PM
you might see that happening once or twice in your lifetime but ive seen it twice in one game , we must be the unluckiest team ever . if it going to go wrong then just watch hibs .

Greencore
18-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Guard of honour?

tanfield
18-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Wasn't his fault we lost.

If you look at the lead up to mixu's third goal in the 6-2 game, the ball was played against the referee twice

Pete
18-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Nothing really stood out about the ref today that made me think he had a bad game.

It looked like he was cringing as the ball hit him the second time and I actually felt a bit sorry for him. It wasn't his fault.

Aldo
18-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Wasn't his fault we lost. If you look at the lead up to mixu's third goal in the 6-2 game, the ball was played against the referee twice

Why bring this up?? Plays absolutely no relevance at all unless your a yam!

Shocking ref today IMHO.

Let them away with just about everything and every 50/50 there way.

J-C
18-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Worst ref I've seen in a long time, booked Forster after 1st challenge, ignored umpteen fouls by them and when their player slid in like Forster, gave the foul but no booking and what the **** was a ref doing standing 5 yards away from play where it was impossible for him to get out the way, just a truly shocking display, pretty sure I could see his orange sash under his top.

scoopyboy
18-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Wasn't his fault we lost.

If you look at the lead up to mixu's third goal in the 6-2 game, the ball was played against the referee twice

I didn't realise that.

LaMotta
18-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Worst ref I've seen in a long time, booked Forster after 1st challenge, ignored umpteen fouls by them and when their player slid in like Forster, gave the foul but no booking and what the **** was a ref doing standing 5 yards away from play where it was impossible for him to get out the way, just a truly shocking display, pretty sure I could see his orange sash under his top.

agree also booked Allan for a late challenge when he missed the Falkirk player, just a couple of minutes after failing to book a Falkirk player for a worse late challenge when he rattled Fyvie.

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Didn't he give Falkirk possession that led up to them scoring? You can go a whole season without the ref doing that. He did it twice in one half and people are blaming Hibs players for it? No wonder we are seen as a soft touch

Scottie
19-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Thought his performance was shocking from where we were sitting in the south.

Mind you all you lucky bassas that got a burning in the North with the sun maybe couldn't see some of his dreadful decisions because of the sun. :greengrin

El Gubbz
19-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Thought their attack from the goal came from his first block?

Should be finishing off teams with the amount of chances we had.

tanfield
19-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Shocking ref today IMHO.

aye, good one. If I'm a hearts fan then get someone to ban me. Go on.........

I was just pointing out that these things do happen and have happened in the past.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-04-2015, 08:30 AM
His two "interceptions", just went to show how things are falling for us just now, but that said, when pundits question iffy refereeing calls, the fall-back statement is always, " the player is giving the ref a question to answer". Think that is a fair point in that it pushes the responsibility back to what players did or did not do. But it has to work both ways, and referees have to look at their own performances too.

matty_f
19-04-2015, 09:35 AM
The ref was poorly positioned both times the ball hit him. He has to be aware of where the players are, and make sure he's out of the way.
You could tell a mile off where the ball was going to be played.

Kavinho
19-04-2015, 10:19 AM

I was just pointing out that these things do happen and have happened in the past.

:agree: :bye:

:cb:offski:

Fwiw, I agree...... bloody annoying at the time, but it's hardly like he blocked the ball on the goaline. Other far greater reasons why we aren't in the final

Geo_1875
19-04-2015, 10:32 AM
His handling of Falkirk time wasting tactics was horrible. When the player sat down to stop McDonald taking a bye kick and refusing treatment was an obvious booking. Took two minutes to tie his laces a nd got away with it. Our own fault we lost but when all these poor decisions even themselves out someone is going to get a drubbing. I won't hold my breath.

J-C
19-04-2015, 11:03 AM
His handling of Falkirk time wasting tactics was horrible. When the player sat down to stop McDonald taking a bye kick and refusing treatment was an obvious booking. Took two minutes to tie his laces a nd got away with it. Our own fault we lost but when all these poor decisions even themselves out someone is going to get a drubbing. I won't hold my breath.

He wasn't injured, he was tieing his boot laces ffs, which makes his performance even worse.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2015, 11:07 AM
It has to be said that the ball hitting the ref is usually something you might see a couple of times in a season, for it to happen twice in the same game is unusual to say the least. Part of the skill a ref requires in to flight football is to position himself to ensure that he does not get in the way of play, from that point of view he didn't have a good game. Apart from that I have seen worse refs, he certainly wasn't to blame for us losing.

I don't know if it was a factor, but the refs black kit didn't exactly stand out against our dark green ... could it be that in at least one of these incidents the Hibs player just didn't realise he was the ref?

harry-hibee
19-04-2015, 11:22 AM
The big problem with this ref was not his decision making but his level of fitness for a young man (33) is appalling. He is clearly unfit, is overweight, can not keep up with play and his reaction time is severely compromised by his lack of fitness. Footballers are now athletes and refs should now be putting a lot of emphasise on fitness as a good few young refs are doing now. I had reservation about his appointment as i didnt think he is fit for purpose to handle a semi-final and the SFA should recognise this.

Moulin Yarns
19-04-2015, 11:32 AM
I've just watched the incident, the referee lifts his foot trying to get out of the way, but in fact traps the ball with his foot. If he hadn't move it was going past him.

Did it lead to the goal? eventually yes, but it is a full 75 seconds, with Hibs getting a throw in which we failed to clear up field and then Falkirk getting a throw in which led to the goal.

My view it gave Falkirk the opportunity to go up into the final third, but we had chances to clear it, so not the refs fault, regardless how poor his positioning was.

Wotherspiniesta
19-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Maybe this seems a little silly, but why not just give us a free kick? The two times it hit the ref it bounced favourably for Falkirk starting an attack for them.

It's not just unlucky, its simply unfair.

J-C
19-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Maybe this seems a little silly, but why not just give us a free kick? The two times it hit the ref it bounced favourably for Falkirk starting an attack for them.

What would happen if a fan ran onto the pitch and the ball hits him, it would start with a dropped ball, yes? then why when it hits a ref does he not stop the game and start with a drop ball as he was interfering with play.

Moulin Yarns
19-04-2015, 11:46 AM

The laws of football state that the referee is part of the field of play. In another scenario, to get past a defender you could intentionally play the ball against the referee and get the return bounce and score and that is perfectly legal.

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/23087/

Wotherspiniesta
19-04-2015, 11:51 AM
The laws of football state that the referee is part of the field of play. In another scenario, to get past a defender you could intentionally play the ball against the referee and get the return bounce and score and that is perfectly legal.

What a ridiculous rule. What if a shot takes a massive deflection off the referee and goes in then?

I'm sorry but with that clown getting in the way twice, although not obiding by the laws of the game, surely common sense should come into play and he should at least bring back play for a bounce ball. Bloody nonsense.

J-C
19-04-2015, 11:59 AM

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/23087/

That being the case, the more ****ing reason why he should not be so close to play to interfere with it then :confused:

Moulin Yarns
19-04-2015, 12:00 PM
What a ridiculous rule. What if a shot takes a massive deflection off the referee and goes in then?

I'm sorry but with that clown getting in the way twice, although not obiding by the laws of the game, surely common sense should come into play and he should at least bring back play for a bounce ball. Bloody nonsense.

9.09 What happens if the ball hits the referee, and rebounds out of play or into the goal? What if the ball inadvertently hits the assistant referee? Does it make any difference whether the assistant referee is standing on the line or just outside the line?The referee, like the corner flag, or a rock in the field, is merely part of the field of play. If the ball strikes the referee, play should continue just as if the ball bounced off a rock. And if the ball bounces into the goal, it is a goal! (This is one reason referees try to stay out of the goal area if they can!)
Similarly, if the ball hits the assistant referee, it should still be played (as if it hit a rather unusual blade of grass!) If the ball passed completely out of the field, it is out; if it did not completely leave the field of play, it is still in. The ball's contact with the referee or assistant referee is irrelevant.

cabbageandribs1875
19-04-2015, 12:04 PM
todays referee just denied a stone-waller penalty for sellick...clearly came off the caley players arm, how on earth the referee didn't see that is bizarre :greengrin

Leithenhibby
19-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I've just watched the incident, the referee lifts his foot trying to get out of the way, but in fact traps the ball with his foot. If he hadn't move it was going past him.

Did it lead to the goal? eventually yes, but it is a full 75 seconds, with Hibs getting a throw in which we failed to clear up field and then Falkirk getting a throw in which led to the goal.

My view it gave Falkirk the opportunity to go up into the final third, but we had chances to clear it, so not the refs fault, regardless how poor his positioning was.

Schoolboy error(s)

He's a Cat 1 ref for goodness sake :rolleyes: He didn't cost us the game, but the fact we have this thread tells me how badly our game is being run............

The_Sauz
19-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I didn't realise that.
What tanfield said is true, but what ha failed to mention was, Dallas was 2 feet away and in a group of 3/4 players when he got hit with the ball and it would be hard for him to get out off the way :agree:

Hero76
19-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Yip lets blame the ref lol

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 12:43 PM
I thought he was one of those refs that like to be the centre of attention

The_Sauz
19-04-2015, 01:03 PM
The big problem with this ref was not his decision making but his level of fitness for a young man (33) is appalling. He is clearly unfit, is overweight, can not keep up with play and his reaction time is severely compromised by his lack of fitness. Footballers are now athletes and refs should now be putting a lot of emphasise on fitness as a good few young refs are doing now. I had reservation about his appointment as i didnt think he is fit for purpose to handle a semi-final and the SFA should recognise this.
Remember ref's in Scotland (and in most other country's) are part time and only spend an hour or so on fitness per day if you are lucky! I think awareness is more crucial to a ref than fitness :agree:

The_Sauz
19-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Kickback down again that you have to come on here :rolleyes:

Leithenhibby
19-04-2015, 01:41 PM
What would happen if a fan ran onto the pitch and the ball hits him, it would start with a dropped ball, yes? then why when it hits a ref does he not stop the game and start with a drop ball as he was interfering with play.

Said the same at the game, it's unfair on every level.

Unless it bounces off a balloon and the opposition score :wink:

Leithenhibby
19-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I thought he was one of those refs that like to be the centre of attention

Way too many are center of attention for the wrong reasons = Poor Ref

Waxy
19-04-2015, 01:55 PM
He was so poor we should demand a replay.

harry-hibee
20-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Remember ref's in Scotland (and in most other country's) are part time and only spend an hour or so on fitness per day if you are lucky! I think awareness is more crucial to a ref than fitness :agree:

I have known of many sportsman from other sports who have held down full time jobs and went on to represent their country and not been paid £850.00 for the privilege. It is just as crucial these days for Refs to have a high level of fitness because this heightens their awareness as well and they have to get nearer the high levels of fitness the players have, they can not be going back the way as Mr Beaton is demonstrating.

tanfield
20-04-2015, 12:47 PM
What tanfield said is true, but what ha failed to mention was, Dallas was 2 feet away and in a group of 3/4 players when he got hit with the ball and it would be hard for him to get out off the way :agree:

That would have spoilt the point I was trying to make! :)

Canon Hannan
20-04-2015, 12:56 PM
He was so poor we should demand a replay.

He booked Forster after his first tackle! He was inconsistent with bookings and free kicks. We were breaking clear twice when the ball hit him which was scandalous and just summed up our luck. Celtic should be really aggrieved with their ref more than us. Shocker!

Dav1986
20-04-2015, 07:10 PM
While there was no malice, I don't think, on Beaton's part, he was nowhere near the line of the pass when Allan/fyvie chose to make it. He ran across the line, the second even more so than the first. Not the players fault and utterly incompetent refereeing.

This. From where I was sitting for the second one he actually looked like he had a 5 yard sprint to get into the position where he ended up blocking the pass and I remember commenting on it at the time. Why he did that when it was obvious where the ball was going to be played to?!?!

Callum_62
20-04-2015, 08:36 PM
This. From where I was sitting for the second one he actually looked like he had a 5 yard sprint to get into the position where he ended up blocking the pass and I remember commenting on it at the time. Why he did that when it was obvious where the ball was going to be played to?!?!

My exact comment at the time....minus some sweary words.... :greengrin

GreenLake
20-04-2015, 08:51 PM
It could all be summarized as Hibs hit the woodwork four times in the game.

Hermit Crab
20-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Wrong team forum.

Hermit Crab
20-04-2015, 09:06 PM

He was fine when he reffed us in the Killy quarter final a few years ago.

Boyle89
20-04-2015, 09:27 PM

He was spot on that game! Sent off the defender and gave the pen right after it. Was let down by his linesman for the killie pen but stevenson shouldn't have had his hand on Heffs back.
He didn't do much wrong on sat except get in the way twice.

Scottie
20-04-2015, 09:54 PM
He was spot on that game! Sent off the defender and gave the pen right after it. Was let down by his linesman for the killie pen but stevenson shouldn't have had his hand on Heffs back.
He didn't do much wrong on sat except get in the way twice.
It's amazing how different peoples opinions vary.

Thought he got nearly every decision wrong on Saturday. It was embarrassing :confused:

macca70
20-04-2015, 10:15 PM
He booked Forster after his first tackle! He was inconsistent with bookings and free kicks. We were breaking clear twice when the ball hit him which was scandalous and just summed up our luck. Celtic should be really aggrieved with their ref more than us. Shocker!

Makes you wonder what a waste of space and expense these 2 extra official that stand beside the goals are.

And why do they both stand on the same side as the linesman?

Surely they should stand on the other side of the goal from the linesman?

Jim Herriot
20-04-2015, 10:42 PM

This has happened - Barrow 1 Plymouth 0, 1968.

See http://barrowfc.com/index.php?inc=hsn&version=532 - bottom of the page.

Hermit Crab
21-04-2015, 06:19 AM
This has happened - Barrow 1 Plymouth 0, 1968.

See http://barrowfc.com/index.php?inc=hsn&version=532 - bottom of the page.

Also happened in an EPL game. May have been at villa park.

matty_f
21-04-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm sure we had a ref that constantly got in the way of our attacks earlier in the season at Easter Road. I'll see if I can find the thread about him if I have time later.

MB62
21-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Shocking ref today IMHO.

Aye ok Tanfield, you've been 'outed'. I told you after the game on Saturday outside Dumpden that dressing yourself and your family up in Hibs colours AGAIN, wasn't pulling the wool over anybody's eyes.

Ban him I say ;-) :greengrin

BTW, that ref was shocking on Saturday. Where was he when the ball went in to the box for Falkirk's goal? left McGoosh on his own to cover Sibbald, NOT GOOD ENOUGH REF!

JimBHibees
21-04-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm sure we had a ref that constantly got in the way of our attacks earlier in the season at Easter Road. I'll see if I can find the thread about him if I have time later.

The worst I have ever seen in that regard was Charlies Richmond in a game v Motherwell in the Mowbray era. Hibs were on top and Well were fouling and stopping the game at every opportunity. This clown perpetuated that by not allowing Hibs to play things quickly and lecturing every Well offender for ages and not booking them. Think we scored in injury time so justice was served. He was torture though.

JimBHibees
21-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Makes you wonder what a waste of space and expense these 2 extra official that stand beside the goals are.

And why do they both stand on the same side as the linesman?

Surely they should stand on the other side of the goal from the linesman?

Couldnt agree more I think it is because they can have a triangulation of vision so they dont miss anything :greengrin. I think the Dortmund Malaga game where the Scottish officials managed to miss 4 or 5 obvious infringements proved that wrong though.

Personally think that game was bent to put Malaga out as they had huge financial problems at the time. They got the right man though in Thomson to do the job. :greengrin

harry-hibee
21-04-2015, 12:22 PM

I agree but he was fitter then and that's my point he is heavier and not so fit now and that is unacceptable in todays game.

Green Man
21-04-2015, 12:30 PM
The worst I have ever seen in that regard was Charlies Richmond in a game v Motherwell in the Mowbray era. Hibs were on top and Well were fouling and stopping the game at every opportunity. This clown perpetuated that by not allowing Hibs to play things quickly and lecturing every Well offender for ages and not booking them. Think we scored in injury time so justice was served. He was torture though.
I'd forgotten about Richmond. He was a horrendous referee.

Prof. Shaggy
21-04-2015, 08:44 PM
I don't know if my memory is past it.
Did Beaton not take over from Brines for the extra time in the 4-3 semi against Falkirk?

The_Sauz
21-04-2015, 10:09 PM
I don't know if my memory is past it.
Did Beaton not take over from Brines for the extra time in the 4-3 semi against Falkirk?

I think it was half time :agree: