PDA

View Full Version : 3 finals in 4 years ( maybe )

BIGK
17-04-2015, 10:32 PM
If we win tomorrow that will be 3 finals in 4 years. There can't be to many teams out by the old firm that can say they have managed that. Thinking that the Fergie Aberdeen of the 80's might have managed it but no others spring to mind . Anybody else know any better than me? Win ratio aside ( let's not go there ) still pretty impressive and the sign of a competitive side.
There you go, can of worms opened.

frazeHFC
17-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Winning one of them would be nice...which we will :agree:

JeMeSouviens
17-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Dundee Utd in 85, 87 and 88. Lost all 3 so not a good omen.

How does a "competitive side" end up in the ****** first division btw? :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
17-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Winning one of them would be nice...which we will :agree:

Nice?

It would be absolutely amazing!

BIGK
17-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Dundee Utd in 85, 87 and 88. Lost all 3 so not a good omen.

How does a "competitive side" end up in the ****** first division btw? :rolleyes:

Natural sporting ebb and flow.
Oh aye and poor management. player recruitment , tactics, selling all our best players, George Street and most of all Butcher:grr:

monktonharp
17-04-2015, 10:49 PM
If we win tomorrow that will be 3 finals in 4 years. There can't be to many teams out by the old firm that can say they have managed that. Thinking that the Fergie Aberdeen of the 80's might have managed it but no others spring to mind . Anybody else know any better than me? Win ratio aside ( let's not go there ) still pretty impressive and the sign of a competitive side.
There you go, can of worms opened. It has to be mentioned, and you are totally correct to do it. Also, if we do get to the final, It will be the 3rd time in a row that we have made it to a hampden final as the last final was actually in Celtic Park. the only way to win a cup against the OF , is to be consistently knocking on the door and if we get to the final, we are knocking on the door! also, imho the law of averages will come down in our favour one day. I have stated before too, that I have long wished that we can beat Celtic in a SC final to banish the memory of the Dixie Deans game where that wee f/ker did somersaults after getting 3 against us, when we were humiliated 6-1.

frazeHFC
17-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Nice?

It would be absolutely amazing!

Yeah I maybe understated it a bit.
:tee hee:

monktonharp
17-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Natural sporting ebb and flow.
Oh aye and poor management. player recruitment , tactics, selling all our best players, George Street and most of all Butcher:grr::top marks

Hibernia&Alba
18-04-2015, 07:44 AM
It would be an achievement to make another final, but, as we all know, Hampden is a horrible place to be on the losing side, and that's Hibs in the SC. Let's hope ICT can upset Celtic in their semi, and then maybe, just maybe.....

If we win today and then face Celtic, we'll need them to have a stinker and also have a bit of luck on our side. Let's win today then worry about that.

PeterboroHibee
18-04-2015, 08:01 AM
There you go, can of worms opened.

Its certainly impressive, but Im not sure it means we are competitive. The league is a far better indicator of what a team is like, and weve been awful over the last few years. The cup is one off games which has probably been better suited to us, and has allowed key individuals, like Griffiths, the chance to perform. This season we have a proper team, so in that respect it probably does tell us a bit more.

superfurryhibby
18-04-2015, 08:06 AM
It has to be mentioned, and you are totally correct to do it. Also, if we do get to the final, It will be the 3rd time in a row that we have made it to a hampden final as the last final was actually in Celtic Park. the only way to win a cup against the OF , is to be consistently knocking on the door and if we get to the final, we are knocking on the door! also, imho the law of averages will come down in our favour one day. I have stated before too, that I have long wished that we can beat Celtic in a SC final to banish the memory of the Dixie Deans game where that wee f/ker did somersaults after getting 3 against us, when we were humiliated 6-1.

The law of averages has long abandoned Hibs:wink:

Keith_M
18-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Its certainly impressive, but Im not sure it means we are competitive. The league is a far better indicator of what a team is like, and weve been awful over the last few years. The cup is one off games which has probably been better suited to us, and has allowed key individuals, like Griffiths, the chance to perform. This season we have a proper team, so in that respect it probably does tell us a bit more.

Plus it's entirely possible to reach the final without having beaten one single Premiership team, purely by the luck of the draw.

For example, if a team got drawn against, say, Alloa, Arbroath, Berwick and Falkirk

:wink: