PDA

View Full Version : Good article

Ozyhibby
17-04-2015, 10:01 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3042838/SPFL-reliance-TV-cash-forced-settle-scraps-fixture-schedules.html

We need a total rethink on where the game is going in this country

snooky
17-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I think the game has been going in one direction for a long time. Social media and mass video coverages have provided us with the solid proof how football is 'manipulated' in our country. I for one am fed up to the back teeth of the subversive elements that override (or should that be 'underride') our game.
It was bad before however, when utter incompetence is added to the mix the result is total meltdown.

green&left
17-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Getting the TV cameras to **** would be the obvious and simple solution. Its unreal how much power the footballing authorities have given Sky & BT up here. No fixed kick-off times, changing kcik-off times to suit their own schedules, changing kick-off times with 17 days notice and giving the clubs a pittance in return. Its been pretty much confirmed who runs the game up here with this weeks fixture saga.

We were told there would be Armageddon if we don't get the huns back to the SPL. There wasn't.

We are basically told it would be the same scenario if we don't get a TV deal. I'll be happy to take the gamble and see what the outcome is... And like the huns situation, I reckon we'll be alright.

Geo_1875
17-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Getting the TV cameras to **** would be the obvious and simple solution. Its unreal how much power the footballing authorities have given Sky & BT up here. No fixed kick-off times, changing kcik-off times to suit their own schedules, changing kick-off times with 17 days notice and giving the clubs a pittance in return. Its been pretty much confirmed who runs the game up here with this weeks fixture saga.

We were told there would be Armageddon if we don't get the huns back to the SPL. There wasn't.

We are basically told it would be the same scenario if we don't get a TV deal. I'll be happy to take the gamble and see what the outcome is... And like the huns situation, I reckon we'll be alright.

:agree:

Saturdays at 3 o'clock.

Deansy
17-04-2015, 11:05 AM
'We are trying to get that market rate back up by collectively working on initiatives to improve our game, but it's not going to happen overnight.'

No - not whilst the GFA's plan to 'improve our game' centres around getting rangers into the SPL so the status quo is preserved !!

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2015, 11:10 AM
It has to be said is that we are reaching a stage where the whole issue of live televised matches has to be looked at. A complete independent study has to be conducted to find out if we are losing more than we are gaining. EG ... If Hibs v Falkirk wasn't live on TV on Saturday how many more people would it add to the crowd? Look at what used to be the biggest draw for most clubs, a home game with the OF ... when was the last time a televised OF away game had full home stands?

If the SPFL / SFA were to punt SKY and BT would they then be in a position to prevent SKY / BT from broadcasting live matches in Scotland if they clash with Scottish matches? .... I'm sure that many years ago national associations had that power. If nothing else it would provide a useful gun to hold to the head of SKY / BT in negotiations.

As for the BBC ..... As a national publicly funded broadcaster IMO they have an obligation to acknowledge that Scottish TV license money is being disproportionately used to fund their coverage of English football and they should be made to adjust what they pay us. Once again the SFA / SPFL should be looking to black out their live FA cup matches. Its not just about money, the BBC needs to show integrity and have done with the punting of Clarkson ... Top Gear is ( or was ) a huge money spinner for them.

What we cant do is punt TV altogether .... TV coverage is needed to attract sponsors and publicise the game in general, but we must conduct a root & branch revision of how we do it

O'Rourke3
17-04-2015, 11:28 AM
As for the BBC ..... As a national publicly funded broadcaster IMO they have an obligation to acknowledge that Scottish TV license money is being disproportionately used to fund their coverage of English football and they should be made to adjust what they pay us.

I suspect that the viewing figures for MOTD compare well with the average across the UK. They'll simply claim people up here watch it so it's not disproportionate. On the other hand if no-one watched it.....

Iain G
17-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I suspect that the viewing figures for MOTD compare well with the average across the UK. They'll simply claim people up here watch it so it's not disproportionate. On the other hand if no-one watched it.....

I enjoy watching MOTD, the coverage is good even if the analysis and banter is variable depending who is on that specific show. Compared with the laughably amature (and at times painfully biased) programme that is Sportscene, I'd rather watch MOTD.

basehibby
17-04-2015, 11:56 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3042838/SPFL-reliance-TV-cash-forced-settle-scraps-fixture-schedules.html

We need a total rethink on where the game is going in this country

Yep a good article - save for one inaccurate comment from our own Stuart Regan which went unchallenged:
"When you're looking at a Scottish Football landscape where money is tight and the broadcaster is the biggest provider of income, that can't be ignored. I'm not saying it's right but they have to be heard."

The broadcasters collectively put £19M pa into the Scottish game - which is a very poor and distant 2nd place to the real supporters of Scottish Football - the fans in the stands. Strangely enough these same people seem to be last on the list of considerations when football schedules are ripped up and rejigged at short notice time and again at the whim of the TV stations.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Yep a good article - save for one inaccurate comment from our own Stuart Regan which went unchallenged:
"When you're looking at a Scottish Football landscape where money is tight and the broadcaster is the biggest provider of income, that can't be ignored. I'm not saying it's right but they have to be heard."

The broadcasters collectively put £19M pa into the Scottish game - which is a very poor and distant 2nd place to the real supporters of Scottish Football - the fans in the stands. Strangely enough these same people seem to be last on the list of considerations when football schedules are ripped up and rejigged at short notice time and again at the whim of the TV stations.

It's not so much as we are last in the list as we are not considered at all.

Onion
17-04-2015, 12:10 PM
'We are trying to get that market rate back up by collectively working on initiatives to improve our game, but it's not going to happen overnight.'

No - not whilst the GFA's plan to 'improve our game' centres around getting rangers into the SPL so the status quo is preserved !!

Everyone knows that the one single thing the authorities can do to improve the product for SKY & BT is to get SEVCO into the Prem as quickly as possible. As far as Sky & BT are concerned the OF matches IS Scottish Football, little else matters.

This is no secret and there's no point in Regan and Doncaster denying that.

That being the case, it is hardly surprising that many of the SEVCO recent events have come under scrutiny and the refs/authorities under suspicion - the Hanlon foul, the Livi goal, the Livi pen, SEVCO Sunday fiasco. And we know there will be many more before the season ends. Everything is being done by the SPFL/SFA on this "initiative" as it is their No 1 priority. Sporting integrity has been pushed to one side in their pursuit of getting the Huns promoted. IMO this is what Budget and LD are implying and rightly challenging.

FranckSuzy
17-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Everyone knows that the one single thing the authorities can do to improve the product for SKY & BT is to get SEVCO into the Prem as quickly as possible. As far as Sky & BT are concerned the OF matches IS Scottish Football, little else matters.

This is no secret and there's no point in Regan and Doncaster denying that.

That being the case, it is hardly surprising that many of the SEVCO recent events have come under scrutiny and the refs/authorities under suspicion - the Hanlon foul, the Livi goal, the Livi pen, SEVCO Sunday fiasco. And we know there will be many more before the season ends. Everything is being done by the SPFL/SFA on this "initiative" as it is their No 1 priority. Sporting integrity has been pushed to one side in their pursuit of getting the Huns promoted. IMO this is what Budget and LD are implying and rightly challenging.

Don't know if that was deliberate or not but it made me laugh :greengrin Anyway, good post :agree: