PDA

View Full Version : Griffith's confusing dilemma

Jim44
17-04-2015, 08:30 AM
In a Scotsman report this morning, the headline says 'Griffiths would prefer not to face Hibs in the final'. There was me thinking he would be heading for a stooshie with Celtic for asking not to play. Oh no, it transpires he wants Falkirk to ease his dilemma by beating us in the semi-final. Twisted sense of selfish loyalty to the club he supports.

Bostonhibby
17-04-2015, 08:33 AM
In a Scotsman report this morning, the headline says 'Griffiths would prefer not to face Hibs in the final'. There was me thinking he would be heading for a stooshie with Celtic for asking not to play. Oh no, it transpires he wants Falkirk to ease his dilemma by beating us in the semi-final. Twisted sense of selfish loyalty to the club he supports.

Seems like he is accelerating his transformation into one of them, or someone is doing it for him.

I don't know any real Hibbies who want us to get beat by anyone in games like this for any reason. Probably better if he stays away from the press - they never used to do him any favours and they will turn quickly if he ever leaves celtc.

DarrenSQH
17-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Its in those west coast rags so they probably just made it up.

I would doubt its a direct quote.

Geo_1875
17-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Probably a journalist making it up for him.

Journo: Who would you rather face in the SC final?

Leigh: Rather face Falkirk because Hibs would beat us easily

Headline: Leigh Griffiths wants Falkirk to beat Hibs

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2015, 08:39 AM
And I would prefer Hibs don't have to face him, the wee scamp is on fire at the moment :confused:

If we do beat Falkirk ICT beating sellik on Sunday would ease his dilemma :greengrin

Keith_M
17-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Its in those west coast rags so they probably just made it up.

I would doubt its a direct quote.

As per, it was actually a journalist who asked the question and he gave his honest opinion.

'Asked yesterday whether he would like a Celtic v Hibs final, Griffiths was quick and to the point with his reply: “Honest answer, no!” '

Nobody asked why but I'd imagine that he wouldn't fancy the prospect of playing against Hibs and potentially denying us a Cup win.

I personally can sympathise with that point of view

weecounty hibby
17-04-2015, 08:46 AM
As much as I loved him when he was here, he can do one as far as I'm concerned now. Trying her very hard to become one of them. Something I don't remember Deek ever doing. Most definitely not Hibs class anymore. Hopefully ICT can ease his concerns

Carheenlea
17-04-2015, 08:50 AM
I think we all know what he means to be fair.
There is no doubting which team Leigh Griffiths supports. I spotted him in the crowd up at Raith Rovers a couple of weeks ago and despite the abuse dished out to him on here regarding his dissppointing descent into Celtic mindedness, apart from signing autographs for young fans he was left alone to watch the game.
Footballers can never really be supporters in the same way as us due to the nature of the career path they have taken, but I think Griffiths is very much more so than other pros.

SlickShoes
17-04-2015, 08:52 AM
As much as I loved him when he was here, he can do one as far as I'm concerned now. Trying her very hard to become one of them. Something I don't remember Deek ever doing. Most definitely not Hibs class anymore. Hopefully ICT can ease his concerns

Saint Derek of Riordan.... this has nothing to do with him.

Griffiths is a hibs supporter, has done nothing to slight Hibs since going to Celtc, this issue here is a non story. If I was a player I wouldn't want to play Hibs in a Scottish Cup Final and potentially lose us the cup AGAIN.

CallumLaidlaw
17-04-2015, 08:54 AM
I was amazed to read that Griffiths has NEVER had to play against us in his career so far. There's no doubting his allegiances to us, but Celtic pay his wages so if he played in the cup final, I have no doubt that he would be totally professional, but I think he would be gutted if his goals stopped us winning the Scottish cup.

Hermit Crab
Non story. He's worried incase both hibs and Celtic get through and he may score the winner against us.

Hibernia&Alba
The thought of trying to beat Hibs in a cup final isn't a pleasant one for him, understandably. He'll always be a Hibs fan. I'm sure we'd all have the same mixed feelings in his position.

CallumLaidlaw
17-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Why is he watching Hibs at every opportunity then? I think he's trying very hard to be accepted by Celtic. But all the Celtic fans I know are very aware he's a dyed in the wool Hibby, and are fine with that as long as he's doing the biz for them on the pitch.

Thecat23
17-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Sorry but it's clear to me he just wouldn't want to face Hibs as its the team he loves and beating us in the final (if we get there) would be bitter sweet moment. I'd be the same if I played for them.

The papers really do love to twist things though and that's why I don't read the red tops!! Rather buy a comic or a real paper.

oneone73
17-04-2015, 08:58 AM
You know what you have to do, Sparky: get yourself sent off on Sunday.

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2015, 09:01 AM
LG as far as I can see is and always will be a Hibby .... loads of players do the badge kissing & all that pish. If it comes to it and he was to score against us in the cup final I doubt he would be sliding 10 yards on his knees to celebrate it.

weecounty hibby
17-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Sorry if it upsets some on here but it turns my stomach to see and hear some of the stuff he does and says at the moment. Kissing the celtic badge, cmon there's trying to be accepted and there's turning. It happens, you can't tell me that Jackie Mac snr was born and brought up a Hibby, or Ivan and a few others that have played for us.
I would have loved him to stay and would still have him back and would accept it like I did with Riordan, Murray, Thomson etc. Doesn't mean I have to like the way it is at the moment

Mikey09
17-04-2015, 09:08 AM
The boy Cannae win! He says he would prefer not to face Hibs, for obvious reasons, yet some turn that into "he's one of them now."
Here's something to bare in mind.... Leigh is a Professional Football player currently contracted to Celtic FC. It is his duty to do the very best he can for them whenever selected, which in my opinion he is doing very well indeed. If Celtic lose there semi final on Sunday and we win ours you can bet yer last buck Leigh will be at the final praying for The team he SUPPORTS to lift the trophy.
Another story being twisted to suit the argument of a few... :rolleyes:

Green Fish
17-04-2015, 09:11 AM
He's a hibee through and through. He should look at the potential scenario differently, if Celtic beat us he's happy, if we beat them he's even happier. GG

ScottM1875
17-04-2015, 09:21 AM
His problem is that wherever he goes, he wants to be loved. He had a pretty rough start at Celtic, his hibs ties probably furthered that (attending the derbies etc) and now he's trying his best to make up for that, by trying to convince the fans that he's 'one of them'. For me, he'll always be a hibby and I'll always respect him as the amount he has done for this club in a relatively short time was great.

scoopyboy
17-04-2015, 09:21 AM
My take is he doesn't want to face Hibs in the final as he knows he then is in a bad situation.

He is paid by Celtic but will always support Hibs.

If Celtic get beaten by ICT and we beat Falkirk there is nothing surer than he will be Hampden to support us in the final.

Imagine how he would feel in a penalty shoot out in a Hibs-Celtic final. It's 5-4 to Hibs and if he misses Hibs win the cup. He wouldn't want to be there.

As a by the way I have dreamt this scenario and he puts it over the bar.:greengrin

WestEndHibee
17-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Sorry but it's clear to me he just wouldn't want to face Hibs as its the team he loves and beating us in the final (if we get there) would be bitter sweet moment. I'd be the same if I played for them.

The papers really do love to twist things though and that's why I don't read the red tops!! Rather buy a comic or a real paper.

Totally :agree:. It's far more disrespectful to Hibs if he went along the usual lines of "its just another game to me". I would hate to play against Hibs in the Scottish Cup final. You can be sure that he would score given the chance and would be delighted for himself but would be gutted about it at the same time.

TheFamous1875
17-04-2015, 09:32 AM
My take is he doesn't want to face Hibs in the final as he knows he then is in a bad situation.

If Celtic get beaten by ICT and we beat Falkirk there is nothing surer than he will be Hampden to support us in the final.

Imagine how he would feel in a penalty shoot out in a Hibs-Celtic final. It's 5-4 to Hibs and if he misses Hibs win the cup. He wouldn't want to be there.

As a by the way I have dreamt this scenario and he puts it over the bar.:greengrin

This. I reckon he'd lose the heid playing against hibs in the final. All his friends, family, and the fans who worshipped him when he was here - it'd definitely affect his performance, I think. He's wears his heart on his sleeve and I think his emotions would get the better of him in a final against Hibs.

Cropley10
17-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Some embarrassing stuff on here. Leigh Griffiths pays his own money to watch Hibs, the team he supports, home and away.

He earns that money being a professional footballer for Celtic.

Folk on here calling him out, suggesting he does one wouldn't dream of saying that if they saw him at ER or Starks Park or Falkirk Stadium.

I'm certain Leigh would love us to win the Cup. And I'm equally certain he wouldn't want to be the one paid to stop us doing that.

Hibs90
17-04-2015, 09:36 AM
This. I reckon he'd lose the heid playing against hibs in the final. All his friends, family, and the fans who worshipped him when he was here - it'd definitely affect his performance, I think. He's wears his heart on his sleeve and I think his emotions would get the better of him in a final against Hibs.

Reckon Delia wouldn't plY him anyway

greenflyer
17-04-2015, 09:39 AM
John Hughes and Russell Lattapy are going to have more influence on the outcome. A walkover for Celtic can't be guaranteed.

jacomo
17-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Some embarrassing stuff on here. Leigh Griffiths pays his own money to watch Hibs, the team he supports, home and away.

He earns that money being a professional footballer for Celtic.

Folk on here calling him out, suggesting he does one wouldn't dream of saying that if they saw him at ER or Starks Park or Falkirk Stadium.

I'm certain Leigh would love us to win the Cup. And I'm equally certain he wouldn't want to be the one paid to stop us doing that.

:agree:

People getting a bit hysterical here, as usual.

It might be difficult to see him wearing hoops, but he's a professional footballer and is succeeding there. He might have seen what happened to Riordan and determined to do things differently. Derek might even have spoken to him.

I'd love him to be at Hibs, but LG was never a Hibs player and I don't begrudge his success. He remains, quite clearly, a Hibs supporter.

DH1875
17-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Not good enough. Some folk will no be happy until he scores a last minute og to win us the cup then runs towards the hibs fans and wips of his celtic top to show the hibs jersey he's got on under it.

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2015, 09:47 AM
is this the same leigh griffiths that was at our games at kirkcaldy and the most recent game v sevco aye, he's not much of a sellick fan then eh :hilarious

Thecat23
17-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Totally :agree:. It's far more disrespectful to Hibs if he went along the usual lines of "its just another game to me". I would hate to play against Hibs in the Scottish Cup final. You can be sure that he would score given the chance and would be delighted for himself but would be gutted about it at the same time.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
17-04-2015, 10:12 AM
As per, it was actually a journalist who asked the question and he gave his honest opinion.

'Asked yesterday whether he would like a Celtic v Hibs final, Griffiths was quick and to the point with his reply: “Honest answer, no!” '

Nobody asked why but I'd imagine that he wouldn't fancy the prospect of playing against Hibs and potentially denying us a Cup win.

That will be it obviously then transpired into he wants Hibs to lose in the semi.

monktonharp
17-04-2015, 10:32 AM
best scenario: Hibs win, ICT win, leigh Griffiths not in a final and Dylan plays a blinder, Hibernian.....Scottish cup Winners 2015. Simples.

spike220
17-04-2015, 10:37 AM

Is that you Scot Brown?

Betty Boop
17-04-2015, 10:39 AM
I think we all know what he means to be fair.
There is no doubting which team Leigh Griffiths supports. I spotted him in the crowd up at Raith Rovers a couple of weeks ago and despite the abuse dished out to him on here regarding his dissppointing descent into Celtic mindedness, apart from signing autographs for young fans he was left alone to watch the game.
Footballers can never really be supporters in the same way as us due to the nature of the career path they have taken, but I think Griffiths is very much more so than other pros.

:top marks

iwasthere1972
17-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Non story. He's worried incase both hibs and Celtic get through and he may score the winner against us.

:agree: it's pretty clear were his loyalties stand. He would have no joy playing against us in the final as he would have to be professional and if the chance arose stick the ball in the net. That would pretty miserable for him considering our Scottish Cup record.

Non story. Move along.

JimBHibees
17-04-2015, 10:55 AM
best scenario: Hibs win, ICT win, leigh Griffiths not in a final and Dylan plays a blinder, Hibernian.....Scottish cup Winners 2015. Simples.

Yep thats the plan. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
17-04-2015, 11:01 AM

:aok: That would ideal.

Dinkydoo
17-04-2015, 11:27 AM
I'd hate to play against Hibs in a cup final too.

Vini1875
17-04-2015, 11:29 AM
What else can he say "I hope celtc get knocked out then I could go to the game and get pished with my mates"?

Hibeesmad
17-04-2015, 11:58 AM
im sure Dylan McGeough would also say that he would like to avoid Celtic in the final

Lee Marvin
17-04-2015, 12:12 PM
im sure Dylan McGeough would also say that he would like to avoid Celtic in the final

Yes, but for different reasons. He wouldnt be able to play.

What else could he say?! He answered it as best he could considering he is as big a hibs fan as most on here - and for a professional footballer that's very rare.

snooky
17-04-2015, 12:36 PM
:agree: it's pretty clear were his loyalties stand. He would have no joy playing against us in the final as he would have to be professional and if the chance arose stick the ball in the net. That would pretty miserable for him considering our Scottish Cup record.

Non story. Move along.
Not that simple, IMO.
Say he misses his penalty in a shoot off. He would lay himself open to accusations of 'fixing' the result. If he scores the winner for them then he'll have to live with that Albatross around his neck forevermore.
Lose,lose situation for him however, it is just as likely to be an ICT v Falkirk scenario than the problematic one.

KeithTheHibby
17-04-2015, 12:43 PM

Well he better have more loyalty points than me then otherwise I will be raging:greengrin

essexhibee
17-04-2015, 12:50 PM
He'd 1000% score in a final against us swell would be our typical (unlucky) fate :rolleyes:

Johnny_Leith
17-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Ideally sparky would score, have the game go to pens and have oxley pull of a great pen save in a hibs shoot out win.

No accusations of throwing the game
Scores in a cup final
Sees hibs win the cup

Both hibs and Celtic have to get there first tho

Winston Ingram
17-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Saint Derek of Riordan.... this has nothing to do with him.

Griffiths is a hibs supporter, has done nothing to slight Hibs since going to Celtc, this issue here is a non story. If I was a player I wouldn't want to play Hibs in a Scottish Cup Final and potentially lose us the cup AGAIN.

:agree:

Barney McGrew
17-04-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm willing to bet Leigh has been at more Hibs games supporting the team this season than some of those shouting him down for trying to get onside with the Celtc support.

He's the same as us, a Hibs supporter who goes to see his team every chance he gets when he's not working.

tamig
17-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Seems like he is accelerating his transformation into one of them, or someone is doing it for him.

I don't know any real Hibbies who want us to get beat by anyone in games like this for any reason. Probably better if he stays away from the press - they never used to do him any favours and they will turn quickly if he ever leaves celtc.

No chance of him transforming into one of them. He's a diehard Hibee. He's been at a few games recently - both home and away.

snooky
17-04-2015, 03:04 PM
No chance of him transforming into one of them. He's a diehard Hibee. He's been at a few games recently - both home and away.

Seriously, it must be agony for Leigh watching from the stands and seeing Hibs players missing easy chance after easy chance. It's bad enough for me to endure the missed chances that even I could have scored.
Mind you, I've never been approached to sign for the famous Hibees & I'm assuming he has.
I suppose that kinda makes it slightly different. :cool2:

Onion
17-04-2015, 03:31 PM
IMO article is fine and what you'd expect him to say. LG is a hardcore Hibs fan so to play us in the SC Final would be horrendous for him. How do you think he'd feel if he scored an injury time equaliser or winner against us ? How would we feel ? Horrific. He just cannot win.

Cup wins for Celtic are almost meaningless and just another 1 to add to their total. There's no glory in beating the Hibs in a cup final.

Bostonhibby
17-04-2015, 04:26 PM

:agree: Boy from my part of toon - nae doubt about who he supports - putting up for debate that if he isn't doing it himself then someone is manipulating the situation, this is the same press that were caning him not so long ago and will do again when it suits.

stoneyburn hibs
17-04-2015, 05:40 PM
The wee man is a dyed in the wool Hibee. Of course he doesn't want to be playing against the club he loves. I'd hate to be in the scenario that he could potentially be in.

All this chat about him sucking up to the Celtic fans, so what. Will never change who his team is. Will always root for Leigh as long as it's not against us.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-04-2015, 06:35 PM
If we end up playing them in the final then I'll be popping a wee wager on Leigh to score anytime. An utter certainty [emoji35]

Sir David Gray
17-04-2015, 09:09 PM
If we end up playing them in the final then I'll be popping a wee wager on Leigh to score anytime. An utter certainty [emoji35]

I would be absolutely gutted if he was to score the winning goal against us in the final but I would not be surprised in the slightest.

spike220
20-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Nae danger wee man!

snooky
20-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Not that simple, IMO.
Say he misses his penalty in a shoot off. He would lay himself open to accusations of 'fixing' the result. If he scores the winner for them then he'll have to live with that Albatross around his neck forevermore.
Lose,lose situation for him however, it is just as likely to be an ICT v Falkirk scenario than the problematic one.

Alas my last line was quite prophetic.
The results ironically are still a lose-lose situation for Sparky.